W10, Sensor driver, Navilock

David

May 1, 2020, 9:22:22 AM5/1/20
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Navilock-8012U-2-0-Multi-Receiver-Universal/dp/
B00R998MJQ/> with ublox-8 UBX-M8030-KT chipset

I have just bought this and connected it to a W10 laptop.

There are two recent W10 drivers available on the Navilock website, one
for a COM port and one for a Sensor.

The COM port one works.

The Sensor one does not appear to (at least Google Maps under Edge can't
find a location beyond the local exit point for my ISP).
I do have Location Services enabled in Settings.

Does anyone have some magic invocations to get this working?

Or even some software to test the Sensor shown in Device Manager?

Cheers

Dave R

David

May 19, 2020, 10:12:17 AM5/19/20
On Fri, 01 May 2020 11:42:19 -0400, Anthony R. Gold wrote:

> On 1 May 2020 13:22:21 GMT, David <wib...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Navilock-8012U-2-0-Multi-Receiver-Universal/dp/
>> B00R998MJQ/> with ublox-8 UBX-M8030-KT chipset
>>
>> I have just bought this and connected it to a W10 laptop.
>>
>> There are two recent W10 drivers available on the Navilock website, one
>> for a COM port and one for a Sensor.
>>
>> The COM port one works.
>>
>> The Sensor one does not appear to (at least Google Maps under Edge
>> can't find a location beyond the local exit point for my ISP).
>> I do have Location Services enabled in Settings.
>>
>> Does anyone have some magic invocations to get this working?
>>
>> Or even some software to test the Sensor shown in Device Manager?
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>

>> --
>> AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64
>
> https://www.navilock.de/produkte/G_62524/merkmale.html
>
> Magic Invocation: Support E-Mail sup...@navilock.de
>
> P.S. The sig inserted by your Avast virus software renders the sig
> separator of your Pan mailer ineffective.

Returning to this, I wasn't asking for the support email address of the
manufacturer, but for a response from someone who has actually got the
device to work under Windows 10.

I had about a day's worth of email exchange with Navilock where various
useful but straightforward things were suggested, and when these didn't
work all went silent.

Essentially I have turned on the locations services permissions in
Windows, the GPS shows up under Sensors in Device Manager which reports
that it is working correctly and using the Navilock driver.

The test program supplied by Navilock can access the GPS device via a
serial port (so the device is working) but cannot access it as a Sensor.

So I am asking again if anyone has got this working under Windows 10.

Alternatively, under Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Bill Bradshaw

May 19, 2020, 1:57:10 PM5/19/20
I do not know what you want to do with but you may want to look at Franson
Gate Client and GPSDirect. Use your search and if you have a problem
finding them let me know. GPSDirect is not free but will let you use a gps
with Windows Map.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

David

May 22, 2020, 9:47:08 AM5/22/20
Thanks.
I thought I had replied to this via Thunderbird.
Anyway.

I want to use a Sensor device under Windows 10 so all the usual suspects
(Ordnance Survey, Google Maps etc.) can access my location.
I originally started off to enable the editing of Open Street Maps to add
some minor local information.

I have just tested on another W10 system. No joy.

I have just tested on a W7 system, where the method of enabling sensors is
different from W10 and it works.

So it does look as though there is a W10 driver problem or there is some
configuration issue under W10 which I have missed.

Off to test under W8.1 soon.

Cheers

Dave R

David

May 22, 2020, 11:07:33 AM5/22/20
Well, the test under WS8.1 was a disaster.

Installed the driver, plugged in the GPS, Sensor appeared.

Tested with the test software, nothing.

Looked at the Sensor Device again and it was Location Service (thought
that it was the GPS when first installed).

Checked the details and it was using a Microsoft driver.

Tried the test software and it could connect to the Location Service abut
not read any data. The sensor then disappeared from Device Manager which
makes it impossible to uninstall.

Old style serial port works fine.

So W7 looks like the latest version this will work under.

Bill Bradshaw

May 22, 2020, 1:00:56 PM5/22/20
I wanted to use my gps with windows maps in windows 10 and the only way I
could do it was by using the drivers from GPSDirect
(turboirc.com). I have some directions another user came up with in a pdf
file I could send but I would have to send it to you direct. Using
GPSDirect and the Franson Gate (free) client I can have my GPS accessing
OziExplorer, Microsoft Streets & Trips, and Windows 10 Maps at the same
time. These drivers may overcome your issues.

<Bill>

David

May 23, 2020, 5:54:50 AM5/23/20
Thanks.
My email address is valid.

I'm considering returning the device for a refund because it doesn't do
what it says it does.

However your experience suggests that there may be few (or none?) which
work with W8.1 or newer with drivers supplied by the manufacturer.

On Amazon, the newest review for the Navilock device (they are all in
German) is from 2018 and praises the way the GPS works with W7 64 bit.

Still to fire up Linux and see how gpsd copes.

So I may now be moving to asking if there is any USB GPS device at all
which works with Windows versions more recent than W7 (which is now out of
support).

Noting that I haven't had any response from Reinhard Zwirner who was very
keen to recommend the Navilock device last August.

Thanks

Dave R

Bill Bradshaw

May 23, 2020, 2:49:09 PM5/23/20
I use the GPS puck that came with Streets and Trips in 2008? I am using
this with Windows 10 Pro x64. Using Franson Gate Free and GPSDirect I had
OziExplorer, Maps, and Streets and Trips 2013 all receiving signals from the
GPS at the same time. I will send you some information and the Franson Gate
file. You have to purchase GPSDirect. I believe it is $20.

<Bill>

David

May 24, 2020, 6:20:06 AM5/24/20
Thanks.

My main concern is that I have paid quite a lot of money for a device
which is supposed to be compatible with Windows 10 and comes with a Sensor
driver that doesn't work.

I am resistant to laying out another £9.99 to licence more software to try
and make it work.

As a side note I have it working under Linux with gpsd but seem to have
similar problems.
That is, Linux software designed to work with gpsd seems fine, but web
browsers don't seem to be able to access the GPS data.

Cheers

Dave R