Searching for "ancient" Trimble advertisement

Reinhard Zwirner

Feb 8, 2019, 4:54:16 AM2/8/19
Hi,

In the early days of non-military use of GPS Trimble published an ad
for IIRC Scout GPS handheld. The ad showed a map with a lake; the
display of the handheld showed the (alleged) position of it because
it turned out that the position indicated was for a completely
different place.

Does anyone here remember that ad? Is there a link?

Best regards and thanks for trying to remember

Reinhard

Reinhard Zwirner

Feb 19, 2019, 8:43:19 AM2/19/19
Reinhard Zwirner schrieb:

Hi,

Finally I was successful :-) though it turned out that my memory
showed minor errors ;-(.

1. It was not the Trimble Scout, but the Trimble Scoutmaster advertised.
2. It was not about a lake, but about a creek.

<https://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/big/12b4-qs-fdcf.jpg>
<https://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/big/12b4-qt-5766.jpg>
<https://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/big/12b4-qu-4e57.jpg>

Bye

Reinhard

croy

Feb 19, 2019, 5:52:30 PM2/19/19
What was the approximate date on that ad?

--
croy

Reinhard Zwirner

Feb 20, 2019, 8:21:51 PM2/20/19
croy schrieb:
> What was the approximate date on that ad?

Hi,

June 1994.

HTH

Reinhard

Reinhard Zwirner

May 5, 2019, 8:08:29 AM5/5/19
Reinhard Zwirner schrieb:
> Reinhard Zwirner schrieb:
>
> Hi,
>
> Finally I was successful :-) though it turned out that my memory
> showed minor errors ;-(.
>
> 1. It was not the Trimble Scout, but the Trimble Scoutmaster advertised.
> 2. It was not about a lake, but about a creek.

Ultimately, it seems that my memory in fact has been right :-)!
Coincidentally, I found an article by Bob Pease on October 25, 1994:

<quote>
What's All This GPS Stuff, Anyhow?

The thing that just got me turned on to GPS----the Global Positioning
System----was a recent advertisement I saw in an electronics
magazine. "You'll never get lost when you carry the Model X GPS
global positioning system from our company." The advertisement also
showed a nice map of Trinity Lake and Weaverville, Calif., 200 miles
north of San Francisco. I know this because I own an exact duplicate
of the map, a very nice map.

Yet in the advertisement, the Model X GPS receiver indicates on its
LCD display that the position is 35º00´ North, and 117º52.3´ West.

That just happens to be 250 miles southeast of San Francisco, down by
Muroc Dry Lake and Edwards Air Force Base----about 425 miles from
Trinity Lake. So I was a little piqued at why these guys were
bragging so much about their particular GPS receiver. ".... never
get lost...." ---??? [...]
</quote>

Unfortunately, this article says nothing as to the model type.

Regards

Reinhard

Reinhard Zwirner

May 5, 2019, 8:14:59 AM5/5/19
Reinhard Zwirner schrieb:
> Reinhard Zwirner schrieb:
>> Reinhard Zwirner schrieb:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Finally I was successful :-) though it turned out that my memory
>> showed minor errors ;-(.
>>
>> 1. It was not the Trimble Scout, but the Trimble Scoutmaster advertised.
>> 2. It was not about a lake, but about a creek.
>
> Ultimately, it seems that my memory in fact has been right :-)!
> Coincidentally, I found an article by Bob Pease on October 25, 1994:[...} ^^
of
<sigh>

Reinhard

Reinhard Zwirner

May 5, 2019, 11:06:14 AM5/5/19
Reinhard Zwirner schrieb:

[...]
> Unfortunately, this article says nothing as to the model type.

So, in the end I was in fact right about the Trimble Scout and the lake.

But ... there was in fact a different memory error: it was not
Trimble advertising!

It was an advertisement by the company which provided the PCB design
software for Trimble: P-CAD

And here, Ladies and Gentlemen, you can see that long searched for
advertisement:

<https://s18.directupload.net/images/190505/bowkakwp.jpg>

Delighted ;-)

Reinhard