"Recalculating..."

The Real Bev

Jan 31, 2021, 12:11:31 PM1/31/21
I haven't used my Garmin GPS ("with lifetime traffic" as long as you
were plugged in -- the cord acted as an antenna ) for quite a while.

Was it that unit that said "recalculating" when you defied its
instructions, was it all the other car-GPS units, and did google maps
ever use it?

I've used google maps for a couple of years now, and the bossy lady just
makes a little 'ping' sound and gives you the changed directions. No
more snippy "recalculating..." comments, although she does say MAKE A
U-TURN over and over again until there's a different option.

--
Cheers, Bev
Lottery: the closest thing we have to

John Henderson

Jan 31, 2021, 3:19:25 PM1/31/21
The Real Bev wrote:

> I haven't used my Garmin GPS ("with lifetime traffic" as long as you
> were plugged in -- the cord acted as an antenna ) for quite a while.
>
> Was it that unit that said "recalculating" when you defied its
> instructions, was it all the other car-GPS units, and did google maps
> ever use it?

Garmin GPSs certainly do say "recalculating".

I can't say for google used as a GPS unit, as I'm still resisting society's
demand that I own a smartphone.

Nikolaj Lazic

Jan 31, 2021, 4:44:06 PM1/31/21
Dana Mon, 01 Feb 2021 07:19:17 +1100, John Henderson <inv...@invalid.invalid> napis'o:
Osmand on android phone is a better solution.

Frank

Feb 1, 2021, 9:37:47 AM2/1/21
Osmand ap is not free and you could buy a decent gps for a years
subscription.

Nikolaj Lazic

Feb 1, 2021, 9:48:49 AM2/1/21
Dana Mon, 1 Feb 2021 09:37:42 -0500, Frank <"frank "@frank.net> napis'o:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand
It's free.

And you can also contribute with footpaths or correct maps (openstreetmap)
Or add sites.
I've used it from the start. And never go on the trip without it.
Ok, as any other navigator it has problems. But maps are the best.

Frank

Feb 1, 2021, 10:35:43 AM2/1/21
I read that there was a free period but did not know it continued.
Maybe like free AV's where you do not get the full package.

I assume there are other similar android aps and nice to read that they
take no bandwidth.

The Real Bev

Feb 1, 2021, 2:44:29 PM2/1/21
I rarely use mine as a phone. It's mostly a camera, with occasional use
as a Scrabble game. No data plan, so I can only use most of its
'features' at home or when sufficiently close to a free hotspot.

> Osmand on android phone is a better solution.

Unfortunately it's a real memory hog.

--
Cheers. Bev
It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament

Nikolaj Lazic

Feb 1, 2021, 9:31:51 PM2/1/21
Dana Mon, 1 Feb 2021 11:44:25 -0800, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> napis'o:
[snip]
>> Osmand on android phone is a better solution.
>
> Unfortunately it's a real memory hog.

Yup. Maps are huge! I love detailed maps!
It uses openstreetmap.org as a source.
And if you correct something on the map it gets into osmand
within a week.

Nikolaj Lazic

Feb 1, 2021, 9:35:14 PM2/1/21
Dana Mon, 1 Feb 2021 10:35:39 -0500, Frank <"frank "@frank.net> napis'o:
[snip]
> I read that there was a free period but did not know it continued.
> Maybe like free AV's where you do not get the full package.

Free version is enough for everything.

> I assume there are other similar android aps and nice to read that they
> take no bandwidth.

All based on openstreetmap.org
I've tried it... and never looked back.
And continue contributing to openstreetmap.org

Frank

Feb 2, 2021, 10:07:19 AM2/2/21
On 2/1/2021 2:44 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 01/31/2021 01:44 PM, Nikolaj Lazic wrote:
>> Dana Mon, 01 Feb 2021 07:19:17 +1100, John Henderson
>> <inv...@invalid.invalid> napis'o:

>>> Garmin GPSs certainly do say "recalculating".
>>>
>>> I can't say for google used as a GPS unit, as I'm still resisting
>>> society's
>>> demand that I own a smartphone.
>
> I rarely use mine as a phone.  It's mostly a camera, with occasional use
> as a Scrabble game.  No data plan, so I can only use most of its
> 'features' at home or when sufficiently close to a free hotspot.
>
>> Osmand on android phone is a better solution.
>
> Unfortunately it's a real memory hog.

I have a Tracfone flip phone which is only used as a phone. Also seldom
use my gps. Depending on circumstances what others do. No sense for a
retiree like myself to have all the bells and whistles of a smart phone,
and pay $100/month if I seldom use it.

Charlie Roberts

Feb 2, 2021, 10:07:20 AM2/2/21
On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 09:37:42 -0500, Frank <"frank "@frank.net> wrote:

>On 1/31/2021 4:44 PM, Nikolaj Lazic wrote:
>> Dana Mon, 01 Feb 2021 07:19:17 +1100, John Henderson <inv...@invalid.invalid> napis'o:
>>
>> Osmand on android phone is a better solution.
>>
>Osmand ap is not free and you could buy a decent gps for a years
>subscription.

And a GPS unit works almost anywhere in the world fro free. Of
course, you need to buy the local maps, but it may be way
better than burning data on your phone. What more, GPS
works in places with no phone reception. Try Africa ....

Nikolaj Lazic

Feb 2, 2021, 12:47:47 PM2/2/21
Dana Tue, 2 Feb 2021 10:07:14 -0500, Frank <"frank "@frank.net> napis'o:
[snip]
> I have a Tracfone flip phone which is only used as a phone. Also seldom
> use my gps. Depending on circumstances what others do. No sense for a
> retiree like myself to have all the bells and whistles of a smart phone,
> and pay $100/month if I seldom use it.

I use my android phone and also android tablet without sim card.
Use these only as a portable computer. Or GPS tracker. Or camera.
Only connected with Wifi if available.
If I need mobile connection I insert SIM card.
But usually not needed.

Nikolaj Lazic

Feb 2, 2021, 12:59:36 PM2/2/21
Dana Tue, 02 Feb 2021 10:07:16 -0500, Charlie Roberts <crob...@gmail.com> napis'o:
[snip]
> And a GPS unit works almost anywhere in the world fro free. Of

Osmand on andoid phone is also free. I use my Samsung S8 as a camera
and GPS navigator... browser. but not as a phone.

> course, you need to buy the local maps, but it may be way

Osmand uses offline maps. Free maps. Editable maps.
Your local road turns from dust road to asphalt -> you change the road type.
Your house gets a street name and number. You add that on the map.
You open a shop for your local busines. Add that to the map.
You visit some landmark in the far away country, but it is not
on the map. You add it. If it was marked, but at the wrong position... you
change it.
Is there anything better?

Please... just look at it.
And check openstreetmap.org

I'm just a user.
This is not a comercial advertisement. This is from my experience.
Just try it. You will not look back.

> better than burning data on your phone. What more, GPS

Maps are huge. And with alot of details.
All these details were added by users.

> works in places with no phone reception. Try Africa ....

You can add footpaths to the maps.
Use your android phone to make a gps track. And than upload your gps track
to openstreetmap.org... after that anybody can use your footpath.
If you want to help ypur local business, mark it on the map so people can
find it.

Just try it.
It's free.

Frank

Feb 2, 2021, 1:24:13 PM2/2/21
I have an android tablet so I guess I could use a gps ap on it. My
older gps with lifetime maps and traffic works fine though.

John Henderson

Feb 2, 2021, 3:04:14 PM2/2/21
Charlie Roberts wrote:

> And a GPS unit works almost anywhere in the world fro free. Of
> course, you need to buy the local maps, but it may be way
> better than burning data on your phone. What more, GPS
> works in places with no phone reception. Try Africa ....

I just use free OpenStreetMap maps on my Garmin GPS units.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin

Tekkie©

Feb 6, 2021, 4:45:47 PM2/6/21

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 10:35:39 -0500, Frank posted for all of us to digest...
I use Waze, occasionally. It doesn't seem to use much data. Gives info reported
by other users. I also have Garmin units with lifetime traffic & maps but I
haven't used them for years... Maybe I'll pull one out and update and see what
happens.

--
Tekkie

Charlie Roberts

Feb 12, 2021, 9:14:35 AM2/12/21
I will try them in Europe next time *ah! what a wish!). The
last time I looked into them, they were not that good. But,
that was several years ago. Since the Western Europe map
that I got from Garmin has been pretty good for about five
years, I have not looked into alternatives.

Thanks for the the hint. I will certainly give it a shot on my
next trip .... wherever it may be.

The Real Bev

Feb 12, 2021, 5:50:53 PM2/12/21
There's at least one difference between google maps on the computer and
the google maps android app. The app told me WHY it was giving the
non-standard route to a destination, but the website didn't even give
the usual route (a serious closure for construction) as an option.

--
Cheers, Bev
...so few snipers, so many politicians...

Charlie Roberts

Feb 17, 2021, 10:32:16 AM2/17/21
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 09:14:30 -0500, Charlie Roberts
<crob...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Feb 2021 07:04:06 +1100, John Henderson
><inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Charlie Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> And a GPS unit works almost anywhere in the world fro free. Of
>>> course, you need to buy the local maps, but it may be way
>>> better than burning data on your phone. What more, GPS
>>> works in places with no phone reception. Try Africa ....
>>
>>I just use free OpenStreetMap maps on my Garmin GPS units.
>>
>>https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin
>
>I will try them in Europe next time *ah! what a wish!). The
>last time I looked into them, they were not that good. But,
>that was several years ago. Since the Western Europe map
>that I got from Garmin has been pretty good for about five
>years, I have not looked into alternatives.
>
>Thanks for the the hint. I will certainly give it a shot on my
>next trip .... wherever it may be.

I found this page interesting

https://noplacelikeoutside.be/en/how-to-install-free-maps-on-garmin-gps-openstreetmap/

because region maps are offered and typical European
vacations involve more than one country. It would be
really fantastuc if one could define one's own region!
Some years back we did a trip covering the area in the
circle centred on Basel with a radius of about 150 km.
Took in Alsace, the Schawarzwald and the Bernese
Oberland. Having the Garmin Western Europe map made
locating hotels deep in the Schwarzwald trivial. As we
make early trips (alas not in 2020), the map has mostly
paid itself off.

If one could only choose a rectangle covering the area
of interest and click ..... :-)