VISTA Hcx Repair/Replacement

Bill Bradshaw

Sep 11, 2020, 12:45:43 PM9/11/20
One of the battery contacts on my VISTA Hcx broke I guess from much usage.
Garmin can not repair. Anybody have a repair source or a good Hcx that is
gathering dust that they might consider selling?
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 13, 2020, 10:41:55 AM9/13/20
On 9/11/2020 12:45 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> One of the battery contacts on my VISTA Hcx broke I guess from much usage.
> Garmin can not repair. Anybody have a repair source or a good Hcx that is
> gathering dust that they might consider selling?

I'd try an electronics repair shop. They may be able to rig up
something that works.

Ted Heise

Sep 13, 2020, 1:43:50 PM9/13/20
Totally understand your desire to get it fixed. My VISTA Hcx is
much beloved. I'm not using it now, but when I retire think it
might be an acceptable substitutiion for smart phone navigation
when travelling.

Good luck getting it fixed!

--
Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Bill Bradshaw

Sep 23, 2020, 5:17:12 PM9/23/20
Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> One of the battery contacts on my VISTA Hcx broke I guess from much
> usage. Garmin can not repair. Anybody have a repair source or a good
> Hcx that is gathering dust that they might consider selling?

I thought about trying to have it fixed and cost and how durable any repair
would be. The contacts are a part of a plate that slides into a sleeve. So
in the end I decided to buy the cheapest Vista Hcx I could find on Amazon
and remove the contact plate to substitute for the broken one. Found a used
one advertised for $124 with shipping. It must of been an Hcx that was sold
by Garmin and returned because the unit is perfect. So I will use this one
and throw the broken one in a drawer in case I ever need a part off of it.
Probably a few years from now I will just throw it away. So all is well.

<Bill>

Ted Heise

Sep 24, 2020, 1:36:24 PM9/24/20
Sounds like a good plan--hope your replacement unit serves you
well!