How long will garmin provide lifetime map update?

bob

Jul 25, 2011, 6:26:49 PM7/25/11
My old gps is 5 years old and I'm running into addresses that it cannot
find. Otherwise, the gps still works fine.

I'm thinking of buying one of the lifetime map update gps. However, the
description of lifetime map update says the update is provided until the
end of the useful life of the device, or until garmin no longer receives
map data from its third party supplier.

Any idea how long the useful life of a new garmin gps is defined to be?

The clause "no longer receives map data from its third party supplier"
sounds a bit funny. Obviously, this can happen if garmin stops paying
the third party supplier.

Has anyone purchased an early LM model and has reached the end of the
lifetime map update? If so, how many years did it last?

Message has been deleted

Peter H. Coffin

Jul 25, 2011, 8:40:21 PM7/25/11

Pre-NT ("New Technology") devices can't get map updates to anything
except the base world map and Canada[1]. Which puts the proprietary CF and
disc-based StreetPilots, the first-generation eTrex units, and an
assortment of others of similar vintage. More or less, made in 2005 and
later is PROBABLY still eligible for updates, and my guess is that
you'll be okay with a recent model for at least another five years or
so, even if they started on a new mapping data structure with new models
released this year.

[1] Assertion based on about 10 minutes of research; may be in error.

--
For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?
-- Paul (I Corinthians 10:29)

Message has been deleted

H-M

Jul 25, 2011, 11:16:31 PM7/25/11
The limitation of useful life is really the ability of your device to to
receive an update from the Garmin Website.
The Mapsets memory size have been growing significantly. This is not because
there is significantly more Map data,
rather because it is loaded with more points of interest (not necessarily
useful).
If the Garmin Update Website detects there is not enough memory on the
device it will not do the update.

This has already been a complaint on GPS websites because you don't have the
ability to just download
the mapset to your computer and then later select that portion of the new
mapset that will fit on your device.
I imagine this would be applcable to older non microSD card devices but I
have not tried it myself.

Thibaud Taudin Chabot

Jul 26, 2011, 5:49:45 AM7/26/11
Op 26-7-2011 5:16, H-M schreef:
your last remark is not correct. I download my lifetime update to my
nuvi and indicate in the process that I want the maps on my nuvi and my
pc. When the download and install is done to my pc I get a screen with
al lot of choices. On top is 'whole Europe'. When I select that one I
get a message that this to much for my nuvi, so I slect 'Western Europe'
and that fits perfect. In the list of possibilities are many more
smaller combinations the you can choose.
Thibaud

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mike Lane

Jul 27, 2011, 6:25:44 PM7/27/11
Carl Heinz wrote on Jul 27, 2011:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 18:17:22 -0400, La...@fishing.net wrote:
>
>> And any time Garmin wants to start selling maps again they can change the
>> format of the map and it no longer works in your GPS. So it doesn't matter
>> if you bought lifetime updates last month.
>
> The same concern was expressed when Garmin first started the lifetime map
> update program. They've since started including lifetime maps in many of
> their products--but I'll stil stick with my StreetPilots that work with the
NT
> form. So far, so good.

I don't know why everyone seems so worried about this. The fact is that
according to the current pricing if you buy the Lifetime subscription and get
more than one update before your gps breaks, or you lose it, or Garmin turns
nasty, or whatever - you are still paying less than buying the updates
individually.

So if you would normally get updates regularly it will probably pay you to
get the Lifetime deal unless you are extremely unlucky. Why all the angst?

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

La...@fishing.net

Jul 29, 2011, 10:49:03 AM7/29/11

I no longer trust Garmin as I used to. I have been a loyal Garmin customer
for about 14 or 15 years. I have owned at least 15 or so Garmin GPS receivers
in that time. I felt that they stuck it to me the last two times I called
them for service. I also noticed that if you buy accessories from them you
are overcharged.

The last few years I have been hoping for them to change their sales direction
and go back to making units that are full of navigation options and not
pictures, music, traffic, weather, bluetooth and eye candy.

I think they still make 'some' good GPS receivers but they also make 'some'
junk. Let the buyer beware.
--
Larry
Citrus Co. Fl.

Mike Lane

Jul 29, 2011, 4:27:08 PM7/29/11

Do you know of a good alternative to Garmin?

La...@fishing.net

Jul 30, 2011, 11:33:51 PM7/30/11
On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:27:08 +0100, Mike Lane
<mike.lan...@ntlworld.co.uk> wrote:

>Do you know of a good alternative to Garmin?

No, I don't think anyone is any better right now in their price range.

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 31, 2011, 12:04:24 AM7/31/11

<La...@fishing.net> wrote in message

No matter how much we complain, it is still an amazing piece of equipment at
a really low price, considering what it does. I thought the Nuvi 350 was
great, but my new 2370 is even better.

Mike Lane

Jul 31, 2011, 12:56:18 PM7/31/11
La...@fishing.net wrote on Jul 31, 2011:

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:27:08 +0100, Mike Lane
> <mike.lan...@ntlworld.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Do you know of a good alternative to Garmin?
>
> No, I don't think anyone is any better right now in their price range.

I've come to the same conclusion - unfortunately.. I just wish that they
would stop this gradual dumbing down. It seems that routes will be the next
facility to be removed completely - far too complicated for the masses to
understand :-(

It's not just the price range either - I'd be prepared to pay a lot more for
a really advanced model with all the fancy options that the old StreetPilots
had.

Message has been deleted

DaveS

Jul 31, 2011, 3:52:04 PM7/31/11

I agree with you Mike.
I thought, when I bought my 2360, that I would be getting all the
features of my old StreetPilot plus less bulk (a pocketable unit with a
battery) plus the increased sensitivity of newer chips. Instead, I can't
transfer routes from PC to GPS, and there are functions displayed in the
menus that do nothing (optimize order in Trip Planner).

The lack of information on the Garmin web site about these features, or
lack of them, is approaching deceptive advertising.

Dave S.

Mike Lane

Jul 31, 2011, 7:32:05 PM7/31/11
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote on Jul 31, 2011:

> In article <0001HW.CA5B47C2...@news.virginmedia.com>,

> Mike Lane <mike.lan...@ntlworld.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> No, I don't think anyone is any better right now in their price range.
>>>

>> I've come to the same conclusion - unfortunately.. I just wish that they
>> would stop this gradual dumbing down. It seems that routes will be the next
>> facility to be removed completely - far too complicated for the masses to
>> understand :-(
>

> No, it's a matter of "don't need it"--and if most people don't need it,
> why bother to continue developing it.
>
> You sound like an old PC guy, lamenting the "dumbing down" of the world
> of modern personal computers. "Why, in MY day, we had to have an add-in
> card for everything--and we had to set DIP switches! It took a week and
> a half to build a computer, it had 4K of RAM and we LIKED it! And we
> were going uphill both ways in three feet of snow! And when we were
> DONE, all we had were 40 columns of GREEN TEXT! Why, these Wind'as
> people..and don't even GET me going on Macintosh..."

You're getting over-excited again. I *am* an old PC guy, but I think you're
misunderstanding what I'm saying. PCs (Macs included) have evolved and become
hugely more capable than their predecessors, but they haven't dumbed down -
it's just that the user interface has become better. Everything is there if
you want it, but hidden from view if you don't. If I *really* wanted green
text, I could have it right now, or I could emulate a Sinclair ZX80 if I
wanted - but I don't.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for the gps. The screen has improved a
lot, and so have the maps, and the sensitivity of the receiver *but* unlike
the PC, I can't do as much with a Nuvi as I used to with a StreetPilot. What
bugs me is that there's no good reason for this. The code is still there -
all that's needed is a decent UI that would hide the geeky bits if they're
not wanted, but allow you to use them if you do.

I'm afraid the admen have taken Garmin over and are destroying what they
don't really understand.

Mike Lane

Jul 31, 2011, 7:50:44 PM7/31/11

Yes, well it's a case of 'caveat emptor' these days. As I said in another
post I think the admen have taken over in Garmin and as we all know deceit
and misinformation are their stock in trade (all perfectly legal of course).

Unquestionably Confused

Jul 31, 2011, 8:24:04 PM7/31/11

Are you sure that you're not referring to politicians rather than ad
execs?<g>

Andrew

Aug 1, 2011, 8:05:16 AM8/1/11
DaveS wrote:

Ditto - esp. on the route downloading which used to work fine on my older
Quest.

I also don't like the fact that the maps show very little detail on my
2460LMT despite a screen that is much larger than the Quest. It used to
label rivers and much more landmarks (street names and such) as one traveled
along.

I also don't like the fact they took away the 'recalculating' voice prompt;
understand this is a holy war to some, but then offer it as an option for
those of us who which to look out and pay attention to road! I spent a few
emails back and forth with Garmin tech support last week explaining, but
they said it won't be coming back.

Regards -

- Andrew

Mike Lane

Aug 1, 2011, 9:00:29 AM8/1/11
Andrew wrote on Aug 1, 2011:

> I also don't like the fact they took away the 'recalculating' voice prompt;
> understand this is a holy war to some, but then offer it as an option for
> those of us who which to look out and pay attention to road! I spent a few
> emails back and forth with Garmin tech support last week explaining, but
> they said it won't be coming back.

The 765 announces "recalculating", but with no option to turn this off.
Do you mean that the 2460 now just recalculates silently or that they've
removed the options to have recalculation announced, silent, prompted, or
off, like on the old StreetPilots?

DaveS

Aug 1, 2011, 9:24:59 AM8/1/11
You win some; you lose some.
My 2360 does announce 'recalculating' in an irritated voice, but I
understand that on the 24xx series, 'Optimize Order' in Trip Planner
actually does something.

Dave S.

MLD

Aug 1, 2011, 9:24:36 AM8/1/11

<La...@fishing.net> wrote in message

There are alternative solutions to the overcharging--Garmin battery
replacement $79--BatteryShip.com, $20 including tools/instructions to
facilitate the replacement (15-20 min). Not recommending or
advocating--however, unlocked maps (Including the latest 2012 North America,
Europe etc.) are out there for the downloading via a torrent. Garmin could
slow down the use of these sites if they were more flexible with regards to
cost and use of the purchased maps. For example, not allowing you to use
the downloaded map for more than one unit. If it's one you own and
registered to you why not?. If your unit goes South the day after you
install the map, you're out of luck--how about some minimum time frame to
cover something like that?
MLD

Andrew

Aug 1, 2011, 5:34:13 PM8/1/11
Mike Lane wrote:

It recalculates "silently". It tells you on the screen that it is doing
that, but no sound. I never knew they had an option on older units; that's
what I would have hoped for rather than yanking it altogether! (It wasn't
an option on my Quest).
----------
Regards -

- Andrew

Steve

Aug 1, 2011, 8:43:55 PM8/1/11

When Garmin stopped providing maps for my 2650 I looked for alternatives. I went to a
Lowrance 600 and loved the unit. A bit big but customizable. Lowrance got out of the GPS
business and the 600 died with no support. Out looking again for a unit that I can setup
the way I want I stumbled on the Igo software. Many Chinese cheap units come with this
software installed. Talk about customization, ANY aspect can be changed, skins, schemes
multiple map sets can be changed on the fly, you name it and it can be changed, added or
deleted. I am currently using a 5" from dragonpearl, and for long trips a Magellan
Roatmate 1700 with Igo8.3 on it. It worked flawlessly on a 3K trip with multiple waypoints
added. To top it all off a Russian ported Igo8.3 to work on the PC. It's CE5 based. Do a
Google search and you will find your answers and a alternative to Garmin.

Mike Lane

Aug 2, 2011, 3:45:55 AM8/2/11

I suppose that some users were worried by the 'Recalculating' announcement,
so Garmin cut it out altogether - how stupid!

I used to like the option on the StreetPilots to turn recalculation off
altogether. It would then just announce 'Off route' and leave you to find
your own way back to the route after a minor diversion - very useful
sometimes.

Mike Lane

Aug 2, 2011, 6:09:03 AM8/2/11

That sounds very interesting - I'll look into it.

Does the Magellan unit come with this Igo software pre-installed, or do you
have to somehow install it yourself?

Message has been deleted

Andrew

Aug 2, 2011, 8:31:35 AM8/2/11
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
:: In article <4e369672$0$21730$607e...@cv.net>,
:: "Andrew" <and...@jkl.com> wrote:
::
::: I also don't like the fact they took away the 'recalculating' voice
::: prompt;
::
:: When?
::
:: My 1490 does it.

Here's one of the replies I got on 19 July from my email thread to Garmin
support : "The verbal "Recalculating" announcement has been removed from the
Nuvi 2400 series, dezl series, and new units going forward. The unit will
not verbally announce "Recalculating" unless it is due to a severe traffic
instance while in route. The green bar at the top of the map page will still
show when the unit recalculates the route. "

I don't like it.

Steve

Aug 2, 2011, 12:09:49 PM8/2/11

I have it on a SD card. Remove the card and your back to Magellan.

doug cutler

Aug 2, 2011, 12:41:49 PM8/2/11

> Yes, well it's a case of 'caveat emptor' these days. As I said in another
> post I think the admen have taken over in Garmin and as we all know deceit
> and misinformation are their stock in trade (all perfectly legal of course).
>
> --
> Mike Lane
> UK North Yorkshire
> mike_lane at mac dot com

OK, a little more from another Yorkshire man (South Yorks. tho living
in the US)
I think it is dishonest practice to advertise something that does not
work/is not present, e.g.
100 routes, optimized ordering ... for the 2360. All we have to rely
on for our purchasing
decisions are the manufacturers specifications.
My soap box, I was in IT for 30+ years, I have seen fads come and go.
Management welcomed
suggestions for the new Comp. Sci. grad. who offered to do something
special using the latest
and greatest programming language. They usually didn't have a clue
what the user really needs
and some poor people (like my son) spend hours and hours as part of
their job trying to explain why
this "way" is so much better than the "old". Now the new GPS unit do
have some very useful
features. I love directions with anticipated turn information ( turn
right in .1 miles then turn left),
Lane Assist though Junction View is a little to small for my old eyes
and did you know that the 2360
switches to night mode when going through tunnels!! However I think
these goodies came from
Navteq.
For the record I started with Fortran II and ended with Perl and Java,
haven't got a clue what the latest
fad is, XML or have we outgrow that?
Doug

Gene E. Bloch

Aug 2, 2011, 1:38:38 PM8/2/11
On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 08:45:55 +0100, Mike Lane wrote:

> Andrew wrote on Aug 1, 2011:

>> It recalculates "silently". It tells you on the screen that it is doing
>> that, but no sound. I never knew they had an option on older units; that's
>> what I would have hoped for rather than yanking it altogether! (It wasn't
>> an option on my Quest).
>
> I suppose that some users were worried by the 'Recalculating' announcement,
> so Garmin cut it out altogether - how stupid!

In this house, we love the slight touch of sarcasm in her voice when
Jill says "Recalculating". Kind of makes our day...

> I used to like the option on the StreetPilots to turn recalculation off
> altogether. It would then just announce 'Off route' and leave you to find
> your own way back to the route after a minor diversion - very useful
> sometimes.

We often are off-route on purpose, but we still enjoy that tone of
voice. Otherwise, I would agree.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Steve Posner

Aug 27, 2011, 11:17:05 AM8/27/11
On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 17:24:04 -0700, Unquestionably Confused
<puzz...@ameritech.net> wrote:

Interesting thread!

I still have my old Map76 going! And, it serves my purposes
well. I need something that goes off-road, can store and
upload/download waypoints, tracks, etc. I have not used
an auto GPS till a few weeks back. Igot to use a Tomtom for
the first time (lent by a friend
who thought it may be fun on our recent big drive). It
certainly has its uses -- like suggesting and taking you
to a motel/hotel in a town you want to spend a night. No
calling, getting directions, etc.

But, I am looking for a Map76 replacement. What
current Garmin models offer similar features? The
primary use is hiking, though getting lat/long fixes on
culinary discoveries around towns is equally important!
(Nothing to returning to a vacation spot after five years
and finding that restaurant you had a great meal in in
a jiffy!)

thanks
sp

Klatch

Aug 27, 2011, 1:09:21 PM8/27/11
"Steve Posner" <spo...@clarion.net> wrote in message

Start here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145 Pick your features
on the left margin.

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 27, 2011, 1:36:35 PM8/27/11

"Steve Posner" <spo...@clarion.net> wrote
> (Nothing to returning to a vacation spot after five years
> and finding that restaurant you had a great meal in in
> a jiffy!)

After five years, good chance that restaurant is a 7-11 or gas station. .

Theodore Heise

Aug 27, 2011, 4:37:25 PM8/27/11
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:17:05 -0400,
Steve Posner <spo...@clarion.net> wrote:

> But, I am looking for a Map76 replacement. What current Garmin
> models offer similar features? The primary use is hiking, though
> getting lat/long fixes on culinary discoveries around towns is
> equally important! (Nothing to returning to a vacation spot
> after five years and finding that restaurant you had a great
> meal in in a jiffy!)

I've been very satisfied with my eTrex Vista HCx. Not sure what
features the Map76 has but the Vista HCx has altimeter, microSD,
good sensitivity, and runs for ~20 hours on AA batteries--which
are widely available. It's small enough that it works okay on my
bicycle, but I use it for hiking, for driving, and for navigating
when I travel to Asia and Europe. I picked mine up from Amazon
for ~$200, but maps ran another $100 or more. I've had reasonable
luck with the open source maps in Europe and Asia--though I don't
rely on them 100%. The display is probably small compared to most
other models.

Last month on vacation I used it a couple of times to quickly find
hotels when we decided to stop for the night, and then to find
nearby restaurants.

--
Theodore (Ted) Heise <th...@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA

Steve Posner

Aug 30, 2011, 8:39:41 AM8/30/11

*That* has never happened, though there have been mutations
and transfigurations. But, success has been greater than 50%.

sj

Peter H. Coffin

Aug 30, 2011, 9:27:25 AM8/30/11

The Greek restaurant I had breakfast at most weekends for five years
sells computers, not eggs with gyros, now. (Fortunately, there's a
DIFFERENT Greek diner three blocks up that can fulfill the role.)

--
73. I will not agree to let the heroes go free if they win a rigged
contest, even though my advisors assure me it is impossible for

ron felder

Sep 1, 2011, 11:09:16 PM9/1/11
"Mike Lane" wrote in message

Carl Heinz wrote on Jul 27, 2011:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 18:17:22 -0400, La...@fishing.net wrote:
>
>> And any time Garmin wants to start selling maps again they can change the
>> format of the map and it no longer works in your GPS. So it doesn't
>> matter
>> if you bought lifetime updates last month.
>
> The same concern was expressed when Garmin first started the lifetime map
> update program. They've since started including lifetime maps in many of
> their products--but I'll stil stick with my StreetPilots that work with
> the
NT
> form. So far, so good.

I don't know why everyone seems so worried about this. The fact is that
according to the current pricing if you buy the Lifetime subscription and
get
more than one update before your gps breaks, or you lose it, or Garmin turns
nasty, or whatever - you are still paying less than buying the updates
individually.

So if you would normally get updates regularly it will probably pay you to
get the Lifetime deal unless you are extremely unlucky. Why all the angst?

--

Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire
mike_lane at mac dot com

I agree. I've had my nuvi 200 for almost three years now and purchased the
life time maps and have never had any problems.

Ron

ron felder

Sep 1, 2011, 11:13:22 PM9/1/11
"Mike Lane" wrote in message

Kindly explain what the street pilot has that the nuvi doesn't? My
girlfriend has a street pilot and from what I've seen my nuvi is better
feature wise.

Ron

ron felder

Sep 1, 2011, 11:20:07 PM9/1/11
"Thibaud Taudin Chabot" wrote in message

Op 26-7-2011 5:16, H-M schreef:
> The limitation of useful life is really the ability of your device to to
> receive an update from the Garmin Website.
> The Mapsets memory size have been growing significantly. This is not
> because
> there is significantly more Map data,
> rather because it is loaded with more points of interest (not necessarily
> useful).
> If the Garmin Update Website detects there is not enough memory on the
> device it will not do the update.
>
> This has already been a complaint on GPS websites because you don't have
> the
> ability to just download
> the mapset to your computer and then later select that portion of the
> new
> mapset that will fit on your device.
> I imagine this would be applcable to older non microSD card devices but I
> have not tried it myself.

your last remark is not correct. I download my lifetime update to my
nuvi and indicate in the process that I want the maps on my nuvi and my
pc. When the download and install is done to my pc I get a screen with
al lot of choices. On top is 'whole Europe'. When I select that one I
get a message that this to much for my nuvi, so I slect 'Western Europe'
and that fits perfect. In the list of possibilities are many more
smaller combinations the you can choose.
Thibaud

That's what I did. Then the balance of the map that was downloaded I have it
installed on the installed sd card.

ron felder

Sep 1, 2011, 11:22:16 PM9/1/11
"Joel" wrote in message news:i3cs2797cpsu6mtb6...@4ax.com...

bob <nos...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My old gps is 5 years old and I'm running into addresses that it cannot
> find. Otherwise, the gps still works fine.
>
> I'm thinking of buying one of the lifetime map update gps. However, the
> description of lifetime map update says the update is provided until the
> end of the useful life of the device, or until garmin no longer receives
> map data from its third party supplier.
>
> Any idea how long the useful life of a new garmin gps is defined to be?
>
> The clause "no longer receives map data from its third party supplier"
> sounds a bit funny. Obviously, this can happen if garmin stops paying
> the third party supplier.
>
> Has anyone purchased an early LM model and has reached the end of the
> lifetime map update? If so, how many years did it last?

Lifetime pretty much mean the life of the device or the life of the
manufacture.

- If your GPS is still working after 10 years and Garmin is still selling
GPS and providing the MAP compatible with your 10 years old GPS then you
continue upgrading the map.

- If your GPS dies after warrantee is over and you don't want to pay for the
repair, then it also the END of it's LIFE (lifetime is over).

Example if you own an older model (StreetPilot for example) and even it's
still working great, and it it doesn't work with newer MAP then the lifetime
is finished.

When I thought my nuvi was bad and I have life time maps I was told by
Garmin I could buy a replacement unit from them and the life time maps would
be transferred to the new unit. Thankfully my gps was ok and didn't need to
do this.

Ron

Tom J

Sep 1, 2011, 11:43:47 PM9/1/11
ron felder wrote:

> - If your GPS dies after warrantee is over and you don't want to pay
> for the repair, then it also the END of it's LIFE (lifetime is over).
>
> Example if you own an older model (StreetPilot for example) and even
> it's still working great, and it it doesn't work with newer MAP then
> the lifetime is finished.

Interesting that you use StreetPilot as an example when they just started
supplying lifetime updates for the 7200 when no update was available for
about 2 years????

Tom J

Dave

Sep 2, 2011, 2:55:28 AM9/2/11
On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 23:09:16 -0400, ron felder wrote:

> I don't know why everyone seems so worried about this. The fact is that
> according to the current pricing if you buy the Lifetime subscription
> and get more than one update before your gps breaks, or you lose it, or
> Garmin turns nasty, or whatever - you are still paying less than buying
> the updates individually.
>
> So if you would normally get updates regularly it will probably pay you
> to get the Lifetime deal unless you are extremely unlucky. Why all the
> angst?

Ditto.

My 200w is few years old now. No map updates at all. It's rarely a
problem. There's been a few major trunk road updates in the areas I go
to so it sometimes shows me driving through fields for a short distance,
but the road signs work quite well in place of on old map in the sat nav.

I think I'll wait 'till the A1 and Tyne Tunnel changes are through the
system and then just buy a new sat nav. I might well get a lifetime map
update subby with it if there's any good deals on. Or one of the devices
with a 'net connection ;-)

--
You cannot simply assume someone is honest
just because they are not an MP.

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 3, 2011, 12:39:17 AM9/3/11

"ron felder" <ronfelde...@verizon.net> wrote

> Unfortunately the same can't be said for the gps. The screen has improved
> lot, and so have the maps, and the sensitivity of the receiver *but*
> unlike
> the PC, I can't do as much with a Nuvi as I used to with a StreetPilot.
> What
> bugs me is that there's no good reason for this. The code is still there -
> all that's needed is a decent UI that would hide the geeky bits if they're
> not wanted, but allow you to use them if you do.
>
> I'm afraid the admen have taken Garmin over and are destroying what they
> don't really understand.

Surprising, really. Face it, most GPS user don't know a latitude from a
lollipop and just want directions to the restaurant, etc. But there must be
enough die hard explorers out there to justify at least one model with the
features you want. . They had it, no need to invent it, just build it.

Wolfgang Exler

Sep 8, 2011, 3:15:01 PM9/8/11
ron felder wrote:

>Example if you own an older model (StreetPilot for example) and even it's
>still working great, and it it doesn't work with newer MAP then the lifetime
>is finished.

this depends on the StreetPilot model, my STPc550 is registered for nümaps
lifetime and I'm happy with that

Wolfgang
--
Bei der Halbwertzeit von Digitalkameras dürfte diese Betrachtung so interessant
sein wie der berühmte Sack Reis in China.