Garmin 60Cx display fading away, auto switching off and hanging - data card 129 files?

rick

Apr 28, 2013, 1:57:51 PM4/28/13
My GPSmap 60Cx showed some odd behaviour while on a trip:

After switching it on the display would sometimes fade after a few seconds,
automatically switching off

or:

After switching on it would look for satellites, but lock up after a few
seconds, not responding to any buttons, including the power-off, so I needed to
remove the batteries to switch it off

I tried the hard reset, I tried updating/reinstalling the firmware, all to no avail.

Then I thought about the 2GB data card. After removing it: no problems! Putting
it back: trouble. Tried this a few times with and without data card.

Inspected the data card: 129 files, mostly old track files. Hmm. One more file
than 128. Deleting the track files with my Mac did not help. Then I erased the
data card: no problems since, so far.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does a 60Cx indeed have trouble with more
than 128 files on the data card?

(firmware version 4.00, battery setup Ni-Mh)

Thanks,
--
rick

rick

Apr 29, 2013, 3:52:35 AM4/29/13
Hm. With a newly erased memory card it happens too.
Not (yet) with the original 128MB memory card.
I now suspect the 2GB memory card.
--
rick

rick

Apr 29, 2013, 1:17:19 PM4/29/13
Well, bought a new 2GB micro memory card, installed the maps, no problems
after 20 power-ons.. Will report if problem resurfaces.
--
rick

Mike Lane

Apr 29, 2013, 3:50:56 PM4/29/13
If you're using a Mac to open the sd card, the problem may be due to the
hidden files that OS X leaves on any folder it opens.

I have a GPSmap 76Cx which will crash if I open or format the sd card using
my Mac. The solution which works for me is a small utility 'BlueHarvest'
which will erase all hidden files on any non-Mac disks. The details are here:
<http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest4/>

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

rick

Apr 30, 2013, 5:33:11 AM4/30/13
Thanks for that suggestion! However, the card was never in my Mac before the
problems, so it cannot have had hidden files and trashes at that time. I think
the SD card went bad for some reason, and a GPS device cannot handle problems
with it. (Still going strong with the new SD card!)

The symptoms were a lot like those battery-contact problems described in some
pages on the web. The difference being that my GPS would also switch off/hang
when connected to USB, so it was not that.
--
rick

martin.b...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2013, 7:10:59 PM7/17/13
I got the same fading out problem. Thanks a lot for the tip! Removing the SD card fixed my screen problem! You save my Garmin!!

martynas...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2016, 4:30:40 AM6/25/16
GPSmap 60CSx with Sandisk 128MB card - same problems with fading away.
That card was in there for the moment of purchase, there was no problems. Fade away issue appears suddenly while navigating to some address. I thought batteries may run out, but they not.

The solution (thanks for all who answered here too):
1. take out memory card.
2. wonder what might have happened here.
3. put memory card back into device.
4. device works fine.

There are no miracles, only bad contacts.

Mark DiVecchio

Jan 27, 2023, 7:52:05 AM1/27/23
Mike Lane had a good hint with the same problem on my GPS60CSx.

Had a 2 GB card that was working fine in the Garmin. I used a USB on-the-go adapter on my Android based cell phone to read off the gpx files. When I put the memory card back into the Garmin, the display faded away after a few seconds after turn on. I plugged the card into my Windoze 10 computer and saw that the cell phone had added two folders to the card: "Android" and "LOST.DIR".

I deleted both of those folders, inserted the card back into the Garmin and it worked fine.