Cisco VPN over hughes.net

mauric...@hughes.net

Sep 16, 2006, 4:52:04 PM9/16/06
Anybody had success with this. My VPN client sets up and connects, but
I can't see
my corporate intranet. I also can't ping google via DNS or 72.14.207.99
with the VPN client either.

I know I am set up right because if I am in a hotel with a DSL
connection its works great.

Any suggestions would be great.

Don Bradner

Sep 16, 2006, 6:34:51 PM9/16/06
mauric...@hughes.net wrote:

What modem? Do you have a static IP account? (note that the static IP
isn't the issue, but rather the way a static IP account is handled by
Hughes compared to a dynamic one)
--
Don Bradner
donb (not don) at arcatapet.com
Posting today by Satellite from
West Brance State Park, Ravenna, Ohio

mauric...@hughes.net

Sep 16, 2006, 7:37:09 PM9/16/06

Don Bradner wrote:
> mauric...@hughes.net wrote:
>
> >Anybody had success with this. My VPN client sets up and connects, but
> >I can't see
> >my corporate intranet. I also can't ping google via DNS or 72.14.207.99
> >with the VPN client either.
> >
> >I know I am set up right because if I am in a hotel with a DSL
> >connection its works great.
> >
> >Any suggestions would be great.
>
> What modem? Do you have a static IP account? (note that the static IP
> isn't the issue, but rather the way a static IP account is handled by
> Hughes compared to a dynamic one)
> --
> Don Bradner
> donb (not don) at arcatapet.com

My DW7000 modem.

Yes I have a static IP, just had hughes install it this morning.

I see it on system info on the DW7000 modem.

If it is a staic IP why do I still see 192.168.0.2 on the ipconfig
command?

Is hughes converting this to my new static IP address?

Moe

Don Bradner

Sep 16, 2006, 8:13:51 PM9/16/06
mauric...@hughes.net wrote:

>My DW7000 modem.
>
>Yes I have a static IP, just had hughes install it this morning.
>
>I see it on system info on the DW7000 modem.
>
>If it is a staic IP why do I still see 192.168.0.2 on the ipconfig
>command?
>
>Is hughes converting this to my new static IP address?

No. You have a static IP, but you are not using that static IP.

Hughes techs apparently remain clueless on DW7000 static IP accounts.
You have to manually configure to use it.

See my article here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13545 which will
tell you what you need to do.

Note that running with static IP and no router you are wide-open to
the internet. I don't like doing that - I would always put a router
in, set it up to use the static IP, and use a private one behind the
router. Usually for VPN you don't even have to do any port forwarding
- the routers are smarter than a Hughes modem when it comes to VPN.

--
Don Bradner
donb (not don) at arcatapet.com

mauric...@hughes.net

Sep 17, 2006, 6:28:04 AM9/17/06

Don, I do have a Linksys Wireless-G router, but I am just trying to get
the VPN runnning from the DW7000 to my PC first. Afterwards I will put
it on line through the router.

I will read your article and try to configure my PC, back to you later
with the results. Would it be possible to call you and discuss this?
You can send me your phone number via my email, if this is possible let
me know.

mauric...@hughes.net

Sep 17, 2006, 8:06:56 AM9/17/06
Ok, I set it all up per your instructions and now the VPN client sets
up fine, but when I launch outlook I get an error that it can't find my
corporate exchange server.

Got any other ideas?

Moe

mauric...@hughes.net

Sep 17, 2006, 3:50:39 PM9/17/06
Don, I got it working.

I had to set the Cisco VPN Client to use IP over UDP instead of IP over
TCP which is the default configuration.

Moe

David Spain

Sep 18, 2006, 10:37:22 AM9/18/06
mauric...@hughes.net wrote:
> Don, I got it working.
>
> I had to set the Cisco VPN Client to use IP over UDP instead of IP over
> TCP which is the default configuration.
>
> Moe

That is a really good piece of info and may be unique to Cisco VPN.
There have been plenty of people who have posted in the past claiming to
have been unable to get Cisco VPN working under DiRECWAY (predecessor to
HughesNet) that may not have applied this tweak.

Don, this should probably get put into the BBR FAQ.

I suspect the enormous latency of satellite may have a great deal to do
with why TCP/IP doesn't work, but UDP/IP does. The Cisco VPN could be timing
out on the TCP ack packets not coming back within a certain window.

Moe, if there are settings that allow you to adjust the TTL on TCP packets
within the VPN client, you might try adjusting those as well.

You'll need at least 700ms of latency for 'acks' on satellite.

Dave