Self Tending Jib Boom? Need help?

1 view

Rtmgroup

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
I own a Venture 22 (MacGregor), and would like to get pros and cons about SELF
TENDING JIB BOOMS, which were listed as a option in an old brochure that I
found. Also, where could I get one.
Thanks,
Willy

MastNMate

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
willy;
They are great for single handing. Make your own from clear stock of
fir.
GaryW http://www.mastmate.com

Andy

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
Self tending jib booms are a good idea where a person sails single
handed in an area that has consistently high winds. Try hitting marine
flea markets and get the local sailing rags. People are generally
removing them from their boats because they are running larger head
sails and the boom is in the way. You are pretty well limited to a 95 or
less, but self tending is easy.

Andy

If you have an Island Packet dealer near you, look at how they do it.
Very ingenious.

--

What can you say about a blacksmith who is making
hardware for a bathroom?

He's forging ahead.

Andy

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
David:

That depends on how you rig it. I am putting a club footed jib on my
Santana 27, but with Harken small boat track, bent in an arc on the fore
deck. Ow wasn't that expensive! Now, I have a sheet, clew outhaul,
traveler (one port one stbd) halyard, and down haul. This totals 6
control lines, but unless I'm playing with the kite, I'll won't be on
the fore deck very often, at least not like I have been.

As far as it pointing, that is why all the lines. It is true you can
control the boom with blocks set on the toe rails, but a traveler gives
you sail shape control you otherwise would not have had.

Andy

--

What is the difference between a dog and a fox? About 5 drinks.

Andy

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
The monument can be fabbed out of aluminum easily enough. If you can't
make it, go to a boat yard that caters to sail boats and they should
have access to the parts. A rigger should too.

Andy

Rtmgroup wrote:

> Andy:
> That's exactly what I want. Go foward to fly a kite, but other then that stay
> in the cabin and relax. I am a Bus Operator, and I truly appreciate the
> automatic transmission. Isn't that what I want for the boat?
> I got the hardware to set it up, however the foot is what I can't find. Not
> even from a Venture MacGregor club, most didn't know what I was talking about.
> No replies to the ads yet. Would you know of an actual store that may carry
> it. The ones I called tried to make me change to a roller furler.
> Thanks,
> Willy

David Hord

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98

Rtmgroup <rtmg...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19981213011525...@ng-cd1.aol.com>...

> I own a Venture 22 (MacGregor), and would like to get pros and cons about
SELF
> TENDING JIB BOOMS, which were listed as a option in an old brochure that
> found. Also, where could I get one.
> Thanks,
> Willy

Jib booms, "club footed jibs", "self tending jibs", are all the same
animal. They are,
somewhat, handy, for a single hander. I had 2 boats with them. I opted

Rtmgroup

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98

Andy

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
Willy:

Another "must have" project completed on time/on budget. HARRRRRR! (I
wish) BOAT= Bring over another thousand. Sounds like you got the help
you needed.

Andy

Rtmgroup wrote:

> Andy:
> Thanks again, a metal shop that works in my area will fabricate the foot
> section from stainless steel..
> Just for kicks check out January's Sail magazine they have a Hoyt Jib Boom in
> the special advertising towards the begining. There's a guy that got tire of
> jibing and did something about it, it'll make him a couple of bucks.

Rtmgroup

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98