Newbie question about rigging a Ghost 13

M Burris

Jan 13, 2001, 1:14:35 PM1/13/01
I'm very new to sailing and would like to learn more. I hope that
this is the place if not please tell where i might go for answers. I
currently don't have a boat, but can get my hands on an old Ghost 13
for free. A couple of questions

1. Is this a good starter boat.

2. I've messed around with the rigging and have a couple of questions
(the person that has the boat knows nothing about it).

a. I raised the mast and got all of the stays attached. i assume that
it is normal for the mast to pivot when the boom moves ??

b. I think that the only thing missing is the center board. Does
anyone know where i might look for a replacement?

c. Finally i'm not sure how to rig the mainsheet through a series of
pulleys and such. There are 2 pulleys on the boom and one on the
floor with a ratchet cleat. The mainsheet line is already attached to
the end of the boom, does it start there ???

Thanks in advance for your advice. This newsgroup seems fairly
advanced, i understand that this is very basic. Again if this is not
the place for these types of questions forgive me.

Mark Burris

Michael

Jan 13, 2001, 2:53:16 PM1/13/01
You can learn a lot from this group although the humour sometimes escapes
people new to sailing. We have people from all over the world. Not being
familiar with that boat I wonder if you have a marina or yacht club
somewhere nearby? Having someone do a hands on for you is always best.
Also get yourself to the local library or marine store and get a few starter
books which will explain all the terms and how things work together.

And welcome to sailing

Michael Schoonertrash

PS we also have a resident prick who will no doubt post something along the
lines of 'this group isn't for newbies'. Just ignore him.

"M Burris" <mbu...@elliottshardware.com> wrote in message

Joe S. Butcher

Jan 13, 2001, 2:56:09 PM1/13/01
In article
<AE5C2F89BED5C53D.6A4E1C97...@lp.airnews.net>,

M Burris <mbu...@elliottshardware.com> wrote:
> I'm very new to sailing and would like to learn more. I hope that
> this is the place if not please tell where i might go for answers. I
> currently don't have a boat, but can get my hands on an old Ghost 13
> for free. A couple of questions
>
> 1. Is this a good starter boat.

The price is right(UNLESS see below). and that is a good size to play
and learn in. I have a 13 foot Chinook thats a blast.

> 2. I've messed around with the rigging and have a couple of questions
> (the person that has the boat knows nothing about it).

> (even if you do not want this boat take it from this person and give
it to some intelligent kids)

> a. I raised the mast and got all of the stays attached. i assume that
> it is normal for the mast to pivot when the boom moves ??

Need more info, no nothing about ghost 13. I would think not. Most
mast that are made to pivot are un-stayed.

> b. I think that the only thing missing is the center board. Does
> anyone know where i might look for a replacement?

Do you know what the original looks like? What was it made of? Perhaps
you can make one, call the builders,check the local boat junkyards re-
sale shops if any are near. This is where you are no longer getting a
free boat. Do you have sails? Not free. Rudder? line ? lifejackets?

> c. Finally i'm not sure how to rig the mainsheet through a series of
> pulleys and such. There are 2 pulleys on the boom and one on the
> floor with a ratchet cleat. The mainsheet line is already attached to
> the end of the boom, does it start there ???

Get a book on basic rigging. Go anywhere there is someone sailing and
they should be able and happy to show you. Or draw a picture that
includes locations of blocks and the number of purchaces, chocks and
email it to me. I will be happy to see if i can figure it out.

> Thanks in advance for your advice. This newsgroup seems fairly
> advanced, i understand that this is very basic. Again if this is not
> the place for these types of questions forgive me.
>
> Mark Burris

There is no better time to start sailing then now.
--
Best Regards,
Joe Butcher

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

d parker

Jan 14, 2001, 3:26:55 AM1/14/01

"M Burris" <mbu...@elliottshardware.com> wrote in message
> I'm very new to sailing and would like to learn more. I hope that
> this is the place if not please tell where i might go for answers. I
> currently don't have a boat, but can get my hands on an old Ghost 13
> for free. A couple of questions
>
> 1. Is this a good starter boat.
dont know the boat

> 2. I've messed around with the rigging and have a couple of questions
> (the person that has the boat knows nothing about it).
>
> a. I raised the mast and got all of the stays attached. i assume that
> it is normal for the mast to pivot when the boom moves ??

Yes, assuming it is an over rotating design. I would expect that you are
stepping the mast via a pin in the deck and a hole in the mast or
vice-versa.

> b. I think that the only thing missing is the center board. Does
> anyone know where i might look for a replacement?

Try around sailing clubs and old boat sheds.

This may get me flamed and so be it. But, you can make a centreboard out of
marine ply. The shape you make it must fit the slot neatly so it doesnt slop
around in there. Rounded at the leading edge and tapered at the trailing
egde then varnished. For a 13 ft boat you will need about 2.5 to 3 feet in
the water. This is a crude way of making a foil and the perfomance of the
board will be way below normal, But if you are just seeking to have a but of
fun on the boat it should suffice.
BTW add a tie down to the board to prevent it from sliding out when
capsized. The only consideration you should have at this point is whether
the ply can take your body weight in the event of a capsize.

> c. Finally i'm not sure how to rig the mainsheet through a series of
> pulleys and such. There are 2 pulleys on the boom and one on the
> floor with a ratchet cleat. The mainsheet line is already attached to
> the end of the boom, does it start there ???

Has the block at the deck got a becket ( a place to tie to). At first glance
it seems you should start at the deck blocks' becket, then to the boom, then
the deck block then the rachet block. Dont forget to tie a figure of eight
knot at the bitter end ( the bit you hold) or else the sheet will end up
flying out of the rachet when you least expect it.

> Thanks in advance for your advice. This newsgroup seems fairly
> advanced, i understand that this is very basic.

snip
no prob's
--
Good Sailing and Fair Weather

D Parker

Douglas King

Jan 14, 2001, 9:58:56 AM1/14/01
> "M Burris" <mbu...@elliottshardware.com> wrote

> > I'm very new to sailing and would like to learn more. I hope that
> > this is the place if not please tell where i might go for answers.

This'll do in a pinch.

> > I currently don't have a boat, but can get my hands on an old
> > Ghost 13 for free. A couple of questions
> >
> > 1. Is this a good starter boat.
>

> d parker wrote:
> dont know the boat

I do. It's a pretty decent little daysailer. At one time it was an active racing
class.

> > 2. I've messed around with the rigging and have a couple of
> > questions (the person that has the boat knows nothing about it).
> >
> > a. I raised the mast and got all of the stays attached. i assume that
> > it is normal for the mast to pivot when the boom moves ??

Yep.

> Yes, assuming it is an over rotating design. I would expect that you are
> stepping the mast via a pin in the deck and a hole in the mast or
> vice-versa.

Nope IIRC the mast on these drops into a socket like a Laser. Very simple.

> > b. I think that the only thing missing is the center board. Does
> > anyone know where i might look for a replacement?
>
> Try around sailing clubs and old boat sheds.
>
> This may get me flamed and so be it. But, you can make a centreboard out of
> marine ply.

Flamed? Why? Making one yourself is the most sensible and cost-effective thing
to do.

> The shape you make it must fit the slot neatly so it doesnt slop around in
> there. Rounded at the leading edge and tapered at the trailing egde then
> varnished. For a 13 ft boat you will need about 2.5 to 3 feet in the water.
> This is a crude way of making a foil and the perfomance of the board will be
> way below normal, But if you are just seeking to have a but of fun on the boat
> it should suffice.
> BTW add a tie down to the board to prevent it from sliding out when
> capsized. The only consideration you should have at this point is whether
> the ply can take your body weight in the event of a capsize.

All good points. Considering that somebody was just asking about Sabot
daggerboards, maybe there is a run on them now. I can't remember if the Ghost
had a dagger board or pivoting centerboard, some little nagging brain cell is
whispering "centerboard."

You might consider looking around a sailing club or two and studying some of the
small boats there, it's the best way to get familiar with the way a centerboard
should look and work. It's still simple enough that it's well within
"do-it-yourself" territory.

> > c. Finally i'm not sure how to rig the mainsheet through a series of
> > pulleys and such. There are 2 pulleys on the boom and one on the
> > floor with a ratchet cleat. The mainsheet line is already attached to
> > the end of the boom, does it start there ???

Look at the transom (very back end) of the boat and see if there is a line or
wire running from corner to corner (called a bridle). If so, then the mainshet
attaches to it then through the pulley (properly termed a "block" when it's on a
sailboat) at the end of the boom. When rigging the boat up, remember to put the
tiller under the bridle or you will not be able to steer very well......

> Has the block at the deck got a becket ( a place to tie to). At first glance
> it seems you should start at the deck blocks' becket, then to the boom, then
> the deck block then the rachet block. Dont forget to tie a figure of eight
> knot at the bitter end ( the bit you hold) or else the sheet will end up
> flying out of the rachet when you least expect it.
>
> > Thanks in advance for your advice. This newsgroup seems fairly
> > advanced, i understand that this is very basic.
> snip
> no prob's

I bet there are several books at your local library that will discuss small boat
sailing in enough detail to get you the first few steps. In fact there is an
excellent one, with clear pictures, published by Time-Life about twenty-odd
years ago called "Small Boat Sailing & Racing" that would be an excellent place
to start.

I think the Ghost is quite a nice boat for free. Good luck with it. And don't
forget the figure eight knot in the end of the mainsheet......

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Scøtt Vernøn®

Jan 14, 2001, 10:47:25 AM1/14/01
You might ask over at http://www.trailersailor.com/links/ , there may be a
Ghost owner there.

Scøtt Vernøn®
Pløwville Pa. _/)__/)__/)_

PS: we have a 'Ghost' owner here, but he's not worth the space he takes up.

d parker

Jan 16, 2001, 2:10:45 AM1/16/01

"Douglas King" <dou...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

snip

> > This may get me flamed and so be it. But, you can make a centreboard out
of
> > marine ply.
>
> Flamed? Why? Making one yourself is the most sensible and cost-effective
thing
> to do.

Mike, you know what a "small few" of the folks around here are like! Any
reason to have a dig.

spike...@sbcglobal.net

Dec 30, 2015, 6:36:28 PM12/30/15
Hi Mark,
I was past national sales manager of the Ghost 13 factory when it was made in Chicago. I also had the dealership when made in California and was the number 1 dealer in the country on the Ghost. The boat is not being produced but we are wanting to build new molds and build the boat again. It won Yachting magazines one of a kind "Tea Cup Regatta" boat for boat against the then new Laser and all other small boats entered. I am accumulating spare parts and rigging for the boat and giving all the help I can. We are also holding a "national championship 2016 in Indianapolis. No matter how chalked out the deck looks it can be restored in one afternoon to like new by wet sanding with running water with 500, then 1000, the 2000 grit sandpaper. then buffing or hand rubbing with Maguire auto cleaner-wax. spike...@sbcblobal.net. If you want to sell the boat I am interested. I just bought one in original new condition myself. If you or others can make it to Indianapolis, Ind, this summer, I will take you out on mine and teach you to sail the boat and to love it. Check out my article on Frank' corner in Texas sailing my Ghost article (by me Spike Selig. This is an incredible boat!! It is extremely fast in light wind and planes easily. I will send you sources for parts and I may have a centerboard for sale.

Drew Dickson

Sep 7, 2021, 10:15:59 PM9/7/21