bayliner buccaneer

hmower

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
Can anyone give us information on the 24' Bayliner Buccaneer? We have
just found one that looks like a real deal but know nothing about the
boat.
Thanks]

Michael Stephano

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
anyone that would buy a buccaneer has nothing between their bucking ears

MastHed

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98

I must agree...The Bucaneer is almost as ugly as the Mac26x...almost. But I bet
the Bucaneer is more seaworthy and faster!

Keep looking...find a C&C, Columbia, Catalina, J-Boat, Pearson and so on.

Good Luck,

Robert B.
cat27

Chris Hadden

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
Unless you are getting this boat free. Steer clear. An ugly thing that is
unable to sail to windward.Undersized and poor quality fittings and
fastenings throughout. Lots of space for its size though.If its kept on
blocks in the yard might make a good liveaboard.
Chris

hmower <hmo...@uvic.ca> wrote in article
<6t2d8t$sq0$2...@uvaix7e1.comp.UVic.CA>...

Capt. Neal®

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Just walk on by. There are few boats that have a worse reputation.

Capt. Neal
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MastHed

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
<<Just walk on by. There are few boats that have a worse reputation.

Capt. Neal>>

Wasn't the same design team responsible for the Mac26x???

Robert B.
NY

Capt. Neal®

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98

MastHed wrote in message
<199809091219...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
-------------------------

Partly. The guy who was responsible for designing the enclosed head
space on the Buccaneer quit the team and defected, with all his dark
secrets, to Macgreggor. They gave him the job of designing the Mac26!
Paid him good money for it too.

Respectfully,
Capt. Neal
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mart Green

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98

You'll find you've opened a can of worms and strange rage
here--one of those touchy NG topics that is sure to trigger
flames and flounces. No one but you can decide what boat
would suit you--the people who are answering you with such
contempt and certainty don't know what your budget is, what
your chances of getting another boat if you don't get this
one might be, what your sailing plans and intentions are,
etc.

Generally, if you're after a fast boat you can participate
in club races with, the Buc wouldn't be your best choice.
Nor if you are wanting to sail to foreign lands or in the
Roaring Forties. But if you want an entry level,
comfortable, uncomplicated boat without a lot of high tech
stuff to maintain, and are mainly interested in coastal
cruising, you will probably be very happy with the Buc. You
will find if you pursue them that most of those who express
the most vehement opinions have never owned one, or even
sailed on one. They are sort of a chubby looking boat to
modern racing boat trained eyes, but beauty is very much in
the eye of the beholder. We have an old sheepdog who is a
little broad in the beam, with a big flat backside and broad
bottom, that other people might not think is beautiful, but
don't try to tell anyone in our family that--she is loyal
and hardworking and steady and we not only love her, we
think she is beautiful. YOU decide if you feel good about
this boat. Many people would not feel the little West Wight
Potter is a pretty boat, but I bet any of the people who own
one would indignantly disagree. It depends on your needs,
expectations, and intentions.

The Buc was built for only about 10 years by the Bayliner
powerboat company during the gas crisis, intended to be a
basic, affordable, low tech, entry level cruiser that was
roomy and simple to sail. Not every boat is intended to be a
racer or blue water capable boat, and some people would say
that trying to build a compromise boat that can race a
little, cruise with minimal adequacy and sleep everybody
uncomfortably is not the world's best solution to everyone's
sailing needs. If you don't expect this boat to be what it
was never intended to be, you may find it just fine for your
needs, and you will have to search far to find a roomier 24
footer, with so much headroom. And, contrary to the edicts
of Capt. Neal, headroom is important to some people and they
should have the right to make that decision for themselves.

Any inquiry with the word Bayliner in it feeds into some
people's very strong opinions about Bayliner powerboats, and
is rarely without a lot of peripheral baggage attached. If
you would like to read some reviews of the boat from people
who actually own one, go to the following links: (The last
one is a link to the index page of SailNet's Boatcheck page
that can be very helpful in choosing a boat.)

http://www.sailnet.com/boatcheck/review2.cfm?Model=1902&ID=1902
http://www.sailnet.com/boatcheck/review2.cfm?Model=1400&ID=1400
http://www.sailnet.com/boatcheck/review2.cfm?Model=2402&ID=2402
http://www.sailnet.com/boatcheck/review2.cfm?Model=2069&ID=2069
http://www.sailnet.com/boatcheck/review2.cfm?Model=1832&ID=1832
http://www.sailnet.com/boatcheck/review2.cfm?Model=1964&ID=1964
http://www.sailnet.com/boatcheck/directory.cfm

Check the boat out carefully, consider a survey, consider
your needs and expectations, figure your budget and other
options, and don't be discouraged or influenced by the
opinions of those who don't offer you first hand experience,
don't know your situation, and who would substitute their
aesthetic judgment for your own. Good luck and have fun
sailing whatever you decide upon.

Mart Green
gr...@sojourn.com

Mart Green

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98

MastHed

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
<<Generally, if you're after a fast boat you can participate
in club races with, the Buc wouldn't be your best choice.
Nor if you are wanting to sail to foreign lands or in the
Roaring Forties. But if you want an entry level,
comfortable, uncomplicated boat without a lot of high tech
stuff to maintain, and are mainly interested in coastal
cruising, you will probably be very happy with the Buc.>>

This is simply BAD ADVICE. The Buc is an awful looking boat (as is the Mac26x)
to most people who know something about boats and boat history. True, I haven't
sailed on one, but there's one a few moorings away from me and I can say with
certainty that it sails like a pig and looks even worse for the effort. I also
Know without any doubt that Buc's are hard to give away, let alone sell! There
are far better boats to look at and sail on than a Bucaneer and that's a FACT.

Robert B.
Cat27/NY

captk...@webtv.net

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
Good Post Mart !
1) beauty is in the eye of the beholder
2) Does the owner of the Buc have fun with it? (Masthed, Does the owner
of the Buc have a cold beer in his hand and wave with a smile; while
watching your outstanding example of expert seamanship command that
sleek and shiny cat27 w/sails up; zoom by his "pig" )
3) How much fun a boat is has alot more to do with the owner than the
boat...
4) Do Not Get Stuck on a boat, Do shop around, go for seatrials, read
the sites Mart posted and then look at at least three other boats of the
same/similar size/price. Find another Bucanner 24 for sale and go see
it ask why the owner is selling. Research other boats in the same
size/price range and read what their owners have to say.
5) Have fun with your new boat. Buy the Buc, name it PIG and race it,
you can give the rest of the fleet an ego boost!. Lots of races have
trophies for last to finish...
6) Have some fun, thats what its all about.

MastHed

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
<<5) Have fun with your new boat. Buy the Buc, name it PIG and race it,
you can give the rest of the fleet an ego boost!. Lots of races have
trophies for last to finish...
6) Have some fun, thats what its all about. >>

You can be smarter than this. Remember the two best days in a boaters life? Day
of purchase and day of sale. Plan for both!
Yes. you can have fun on a piece of junk, but why some people insist on not
steering you away from a poor boat is beyond me. The Bucaneer is NOT known for
it's looks, sailing ability or build quality. Like the Mac26x, it tries to
match the dimensions of a powerboat at the expense of agility and looks. Look
around at any marina. You won't see boats that follow the design elements of a
Bucaneer...now ask yourself WHY. There's a Bucaneer for sail at N. Miniford at
City Island...it's a 30 and they can't sell it for potatoes. It's in good
shape, but still sits 3 years after I bought my Catalina 27. Meanwhile I could
sell my cat or trade it in for a bigger boat in a week. Buying a boat does not
have to be a dead loss. Again...why not tell the group what you're looking for
in a boat?

I call on my dreaded enemy, Capt. Neal to support these remarks!

Robert B.
Cat27...soon to be a J-30!

jerry Minister

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
>Can anyone give us information on the 24' Bayliner Buccaneer? We have
>just found one that looks like a real deal but know nothing about the
>boat.
>Thanks]

I bought a Buc 27-2 as a first sailboat and you will not find me
complaining about it. I had it close to three years and sail at least once a
week, even more during the Summer and Fall. My conditions were that it would
be easy to sail, I could do it single-handed, any repairs or costs
associated with maintenance would be minimal and should be reasonably
priced.
No matter what boat you decide on a survey report is essential. This
will give you a more balanced perspective on the vessel and its
seaworthiness. If a boat looks good, points well and is popular, it doesn't
do you a lot of good if you got a hole in it or it takes as much in repairs
as the initial purchase price. I would rather be out sailing in S.F. Bay.
Hope this will serve as a guide to whatever you will be sailing soon

"Nothing that is worthwile will ever come easy"

Capt. Neal®

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
Necessity makes for strange bedfellows! I agree with you. But you
forgot to mention that the darned thing leaks like a sieve with that
silly-looking double-decker row of deadlights that are poorly sealed
into an extremely flexible deckhouse.

Respectfully,
Capt. Neal
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MastHed wrote in message
<199809101747...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

MastHed

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
<<Necessity makes for strange bedfellows! I agree with you. But you
forgot to mention that the darned thing leaks like a sieve with that
silly-looking double-decker row of deadlights that are poorly sealed
into an extremely flexible deckhouse.>>

Yes, but I'm not sure if the applies to the Bucaneer 24. The Tanzer yacht co.
used to make a boat with that same ugly window layout, but it was of pretty
good quality and actually sails well. The Buc for sail near me has the double
row of windows...it looks like the offspring of two Mac26x's!

Robert B.
Cat27

s...@gis.net

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
We've had a 27' Buccaneer "in the family" for several years, and it is
world-class ugly. Possibly the ugliest boat ever built, but has served well.

Our son bought it when he was 19 and sailed it from Gloucester, MA to Key
West, FL.

Our daughter bought it from him and has lived aboard for 3 years while going
to college.

Today it is tied in a marina while a tropical storm is going through the
Texas gulf coastal area. It is a solid hull and we hope for the best, but we
did talk her into "jumping ship" for the day.

Oh yes, this one is the stylish mustard yellow model. No real complaints
considering the situations.

Louise
--
http://www.sspboatsite.com
Boat Quiz * Navigation Seminar * Foggy's Friends

MastHed

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
<<We've had a 27' Buccaneer "in the family" for several years, and it is
world-class ugly. Possibly the ugliest boat ever built, but has served well.>>

The offense rests!

Robert B.
NY

captk...@webtv.net

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
1) How much fun a boat is has alot more to do with the owner than
the boat.
2) How much fun a boat is has alot more to do with the owner than

the boat.
3) How much fun a boat is has alot more to do with the owner
than the boat.

MastHed

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98

Yes, but all things being equal it's even more fun to sail on a Swan. I
presently sail a Catalina 27. It's a respected design with over 6500 hulls out
there, but I have even more fun when sailing my friends J-30. Buying a Bucaneer
for 3-6 grand is a mistake any way you cut it. Better boats can be had. This
isn't an opinion...it's fact. If you're a driving enthusiast, you don't steer
people towards an AMC Pacer...or do you? As a sailing enthusiast, I like to see
people start off in a vessel that gives sailing a fair chance. I guess people
defend anything they own, so long as it floats!

MastHed

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
<<No mater how hard you try you can't shine a turd.>>

What're yo gonna do. Somebody has to keep the Mac26x's going. I'd like to
conduct a poll:

Mac26x vs. Bucaneer

I'd say the Mac is actually the more frightening attempt at a
sailboat....thoughts?

captk...@webtv.net

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
OK, maybe everyone would enjoy reading a thread on the ugliest boats,
heres the addy to the start of the thread over at Lat & Att, dont miss
the one about the ugliest part of a bucanner is under the skin.
http://www.seafaring.com/wwwboard/messages.549.html

captk...@webtv.net

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
Ugliest Boat thread try # 2
I put a . where there should a been a /
try
http://www.seafaring.com/wwwboard/messages/549.html

Duane Cady

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Damn -- you guys make me feel great --

I just got a 27' Buccaneer as a gift -- I guess ugliness aint all that
ugly if its your first boat, and you get it for nothing.

I will admit, my first impression was one of slight shock, but hey --
better to have a beat-up vw than nothing.

Are there any /real/ concerns, besides ugliness ? Is it safe ? Any
specifics ?

Duane C.
GA

CHADJOYCE

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Duane

You did someone a favor by taking it off their hands. I had a 1976 Buccaneer
240, and donated it to charity. I did not want to spend the time or energy
which would be required to get it in shape to sell it ... after all, it would
still be a Buccaneer. Have you thought about how you are going to get rid of
that thang when you are through with it. Maybe you will be lucky, and you
will be able to give it to someone else as a gift.

Chad Joyce
Silver Spring, MD

Chris Hadden

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98

Duane,
You are a lucky man . Because a free boat does not come most peoples
way. I wish someone had given me a free buccaneer for my first boat. You
are going to learn much about many things and it won't cost you near as
much as all the other guys on this list. First thing to remember is this
boat was free for a reason. Don't put a dime into it . Cobb everything.
Some asshole gives you shit or makes a remark about your boat.
Just tell him it was free and mention all the places you've sailed in it .
Make some up if you have to. Chances are you'll be talking to some guy who
spends his life at the dock worrying about his refrigeration. He probably
has a mechanic on call and drops 10 grand a year on a boat he sails about 5
times a year. Take this boat out as often as you can . Not to far from
shore you cant swim in. Get some good life jackets. Now beat the piss out
of it. Find it's limits and have fun. You'll learn alot and if you decide
you really love sailing you'll now know what you want in a boat you
actually must spend hard earned cash for. When your done with this
miserable pig sail it to Dinner Key off Miami and give it to one of those
Homeless people living on those floating shacks. Just think you'll be
giving those people a new home. You are going to feel so good about your
life I'm wishing I was you right now. Free buccaneers for everyone!
Chris

Michael Stephano

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
ONCE AGAIN

anyone that would buy a buccaneer has nothing between their bucking ears

SAIL FAST/ LIVE SLOW

jerry Minister

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98

Michael Stephano wrote:

What is it with you people? Just because I have a Pinto instead of a
Ferrari does not mean I won't drive on a beautifull day if I felt like it. I
would rather be out there sailing on my Buccaneer than watching what you
think is a worthy boat from a shore. I have had it for three years. I go out
at least three times a month all year round. This means in all conditions
from a summer breeze to a winter storm. If I'm lucky so be it. But please
Michael, someone of your obvious cunning wit, has to have more between his
ears than the one liners that you post.

SAIL SLOW/ LIVE FAST

MastHed

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98

<< What is it with you people? Just because I have a Pinto instead of a
Ferrari does not mean I won't drive on a beautifull day if I felt like it.>>

"We people" are just voicing our opinions. You can sail aboard a cardboard box
and more power to you, but someone asked for "opinions" and strong ones were
voiced. A free boat is obviously better than no boat...but if a few dollars are
to be spent, then the cardboard box is probably better than the Bucaneer.

Robert B.
Cat27/NY

Mundo

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98
Your right Jerry , I can do a little better than one liners. But in this
case I don't want to waste to much time.
I realize that there are people that are happy with these boats. And I give
them credit for getting in the wind.
But I strongly recommend spending the same money on an equipped boat from
the previously owned market and ending up with something that has a resale
value left close or equal to the money laid out initially, for that day when
you are ready to move up to a bigger or better boat. Why start a great thing
like sailing at a financial and physical disadvantage.

Mundo AKA Michael Stephano

Sail Fast / Live Slow

juani...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2018, 9:24:57 PM2/25/18
On Tuesday, September 8, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, hmower wrote:
> Can anyone give us information on the 24' Bayliner Buccaneer? We have
> just found one that looks like a real deal but know nothing about the
> boat.
> Thanks]

I have had a bayliner buccaneer for several years. You guys are right, It isn't the nicest looking or best sailing upwind on the bay...Yes the port lights leak in the rain. I cover it in the winter. will replace or repair them soon. but something nobody has mentioned is the trailerability and shoaldraft keel. No other sailboat I know of has this feature. That is why I bought it. I have owed a Balboa 26, a MacGregor 25 and a MacGregor venture 21, all for the towing, beach launching, and shallow water sailing. The 3 boats above have swing keels.. I hate them! they leak on the pivot bolt, and become loose in the trunk. They hum when underway, they pound in the chop threatening to take the bottom off the boat. the keel winch is actually dangerous... Each to their own.. the guy with the cat 27... lets see you trailer it through baja California and launch off the beach... john

Popeye_t...@simonshoals.net

Feb 27, 2018, 7:41:29 PM2/27/18
I sailed the Bass Strait for over a decade with impunity in a 24
Gayliner Bucaneer. I poured concrete into the bilge so no matter how
far it rolled, it came up every time.