"More focused" isnt always "better"

nob...@nowhere.com

Feb 13, 2024, 2:31:39 PMFeb 13
It is claimed by some that a business should focus on its core mission
and divest any part of the operation that isnt absolutely vital to that
mission.

Instead of complex theoretical arguments, let me present a simple real
world counterexample. How well is that working out for Boeing right
now?

If you do not control a thing, you cannot trust that thing. This is
unsurprisingly also true for business processes. Especially then, in
fact.

auuV

Feb 19, 2024, 6:26:17 PMFeb 19
Outsourcing became a madness.

I dont want to have to boil chicken manure and keep it in a shed for
months just to make a white pigment. So, artists colourmen - good for
me. I cant argue against the idea of suppliers. If you cant directly
control a thing, trust starts to come into it. Then there is the
fundamental problem that every interface between people, systems, and
processes introduces risks of failure.