I hope Father Black Friday was good to everyone

auuV

Nov 27, 2023, 6:03:25 PM11/27/23
:)

nob...@nowhere.com

Nov 30, 2023, 6:27:22 PM11/30/23
On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 23:03:23 +0000, auuV <au...@zehen.invalid> wrote:

> :)

He brought me a nice SSD. I wonder how he knew not to bring the shitty
QLC one, even though it was cheaper?

auuV

Nov 30, 2023, 7:06:29 PM11/30/23
Good old Father Black Friday!

Maybe hes a techie?

I got a non contact thermometer and some thermal underwears.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 17, 2023, 5:28:52 PM12/17/23

auuV

Dec 17, 2023, 6:27:48 PM12/17/23
I am very happy to confirm that that was not what I got!

The thermometer only works if the room temperature is 15 degrees or
above.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 22, 2023, 11:39:46 AM12/22/23
On Sun, 17 Dec 2023 23:27:49 +0000, auuV <au...@zehen.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Dec 2023 22:28:54 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>>>Good old Father Black Friday!
>>>
>>>Maybe hes a techie?
>>>
>>>I got a non contact thermometer and some thermal underwears.
>>
>>IRTA "a rectal thermometer and some contact underwear". :|
>
>I am very happy to confirm that that was not what I got!

You got *non*-contact underwear? How does that even work?

>The thermometer only works if the room temperature is 15 degrees or
>above.

You mean you have to put it somewhere warm to get it going?

auuV

Dec 24, 2023, 7:17:55 PM12/24/23
On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:40:16 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Dec 2023 23:27:49 +0000, auuV <au...@zehen.invalid> wrote:

>>>IRTA "a rectal thermometer and some contact underwear". :|
>>
>>I am very happy to confirm that that was not what I got!
>
>You got *non*-contact underwear? How does that even work?

Curiously enough, it turns out that silk long johns, although they are
sort of in contact with the bahookey, legs, etc, lie very lightly with
almost a floating sensation. Although maybe thats just me. (And ones
MMV if wearing a very tight layer over the base layer.)

>>The thermometer only works if the room temperature is 15 degrees or
>>above.
>
>You mean you have to put it somewhere warm to get it going?

It has to be warm enough to think that the room temperature is 15
degrees or higher. Its a non-contact thermometer, so you have to hold
it about 1cm away from the foreheid.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 24, 2023, 8:16:46 PM12/24/23
On Mon, 25 Dec 2023 00:17:57 +0000, auuV <au...@zehen.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:40:16 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>>>I am very happy to confirm that that was not what I got!
>>
>>You got *non*-contact underwear? How does that even work?
>
>Curiously enough, it turns out that silk long johns, although they are
>sort of in contact with the bahookey, legs, etc, lie very lightly with
>almost a floating sensation. Although maybe thats just me. (And ones
>MMV if wearing a very tight layer over the base layer.)

You could have just said "magnets".

(Though that might have been begging the question come to think of it.)

>>>The thermometer only works if the room temperature is 15 degrees or
>>>above.
>>
>>You mean you have to put it somewhere warm to get it going?
>
>It has to be warm enough to think that the room temperature is 15
>degrees or higher. Its a non-contact thermometer, so you have to hold
>it about 1cm away from the foreheid.

That sounds like its actually more hassle than a contact one. :|

auuV

Dec 25, 2023, 10:37:37 AM12/25/23
On Mon, 25 Dec 2023 01:16:49 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Dec 2023 00:17:57 +0000, auuV <au...@zehen.invalid> wrote:

>>>You got *non*-contact underwear? How does that even work?
>>
>>Curiously enough, it turns out that silk long johns, although they are
>>sort of in contact with the bahookey, legs, etc, lie very lightly with
>>almost a floating sensation. Although maybe thats just me. (And ones
>>MMV if wearing a very tight layer over the base layer.)
>
>You could have just said "magnets".

Didnt think of that.

>(Though that might have been begging the question come to think of it.)

I think so.

>>>You mean you have to put it somewhere warm to get it going?
>>
>>It has to be warm enough to think that the room temperature is 15
>>degrees or higher. Its a non-contact thermometer, so you have to hold
>>it about 1cm away from the foreheid.
>
>That sounds like its actually more hassle than a contact one. :|

In some ways, but in my case the readings are more consistent and more
believable.

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 4, 2024, 5:45:17 AMJan 4
Doctor: what were her last three temperature readings?

Nurse (referring to notes): 3.2 m/s, 5.6 on the Richter Scale, and
5.67e-8 W m**-2 K**-4.

auuV

Jan 4, 2024, 8:53:53 PMJan 4
My results have been hacked!

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 8, 2024, 1:15:24 AMJan 8
Really? About what youd expect from a cheap Amazon thermometer, I would
have thought.

auuV

Jan 8, 2024, 6:35:43 PMJan 8
It wasnt Amazon. It was the Swiss hedge fund pharmacys best.
(Actually, thermometer is .deian. Infrarot Fieberthermometer. Setting
it up I had to get some Benutzer-Support by filling in an emile in
.deian.

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 12, 2024, 3:35:39 AMJan 12
)

(FTFY.)

So you got a super expensive .deian thermometer and it doesnt work
unless you stick it... er *somewhere* to warm it up; and when it is
warm enough to work you have to carefully hold it away from what youre
measuring?

Yeah, that sounds like Grundig ergonomics. :|

Its a real shame that there is no way to measure temperature reliably
using simple physical properties like the thermal expansion of a liquid
or something. But I guess the laws of physics just dont permit it. :(

auuV

Jan 14, 2024, 9:07:23 PMJan 14
When you put it that way...

But, you know, the convenience of a contactless thermometer!

>Yeah, that sounds like Grundig ergonomics. :|

Do Grundig have a name for ergonomics then?

>Its a real shame that there is no way to measure temperature reliably
>using simple physical properties like the thermal expansion of a liquid
>or something. But I guess the laws of physics just dont permit it. :(

You must have had more reliable thermometers than my family used to
have.

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 17, 2024, 11:29:50 PMJan 17
Yes, and not in a good way.

>>Its a real shame that there is no way to measure temperature reliably
>>using simple physical properties like the thermal expansion of a liquid
>>or something. But I guess the laws of physics just dont permit it. :(
>
>You must have had more reliable thermometers than my family used to
>have.

Averagely reliable, I would have said. But certainly good enough to be
considered accurate for medical diagnosis.

What the h*ck were your family using then?

auuV

Jan 23, 2024, 4:09:54 PMJan 23
OK, noted.

>>>Its a real shame that there is no way to measure temperature reliably
>>>using simple physical properties like the thermal expansion of a liquid
>>>or something. But I guess the laws of physics just dont permit it. :(
>>
>>You must have had more reliable thermometers than my family used to
>>have.
>
>Averagely reliable, I would have said. But certainly good enough to be
>considered accurate for medical diagnosis.

Good!

>What the h*ck were your family using then?

At one point we had a little glass medical type one but it got stuck and
wouldnt shake down and we didnt replace it. Mum wouldnt have called the
doctor anyway. You had to be nearly deid. When I had one of my two
childhood hospitalisations with fevers and the doctor was eventually
called - I was probably glowing by that point - he just picked me up
wrapped in a blanket and ran outside to the ambulance with me. Dramatic.

nob...@nowhere.com

Feb 5, 2024, 8:52:19 PMFeb 5
Ah. So it wasnt crap, it just broke. (Of course it may have broken
*because* it was crap, but crap in a different way.)

> Mum wouldnt have called the
>doctor anyway. You had to be nearly deid. When I had one of my two
>childhood hospitalisations with fevers and the doctor was eventually
>called - I was probably glowing by that point - he just picked me up
>wrapped in a blanket and ran outside to the ambulance with me. Dramatic.

Soap opera stuff!

Did your Mum learn anything from that experience?

auuV

Feb 6, 2024, 7:28:58 PMFeb 6
I think you are right.

>> Mum wouldnt have called the
>>doctor anyway. You had to be nearly deid. When I had one of my two
>>childhood hospitalisations with fevers and the doctor was eventually
>>called - I was probably glowing by that point - he just picked me up
>>wrapped in a blanket and ran outside to the ambulance with me. Dramatic.
>
>Soap opera stuff!

It was!

>Did your Mum learn anything from that experience?

I will answer frankly. No. No, she did not.

nob...@nowhere.com

Feb 10, 2024, 5:48:44 AMFeb 10
Well that was disappointing. :(

auuV

Feb 10, 2024, 5:13:30 PMFeb 10
Theres a happy medium in the universe between toughing it out and
running asking for antibiotics at the first suspicion of a sniffle.

Or so I have been told.

nob...@nowhere.com

Feb 13, 2024, 2:38:01 PMFeb 13
Toughing it out *can* be an appropriate response. Even to something
like flu. But certainly not to meningitis.

>Or so I have been told.

You was told good.

auuV

Feb 19, 2024, 6:31:56 PMFeb 19
I dont think reported symptoms alerted her at all. It had to be
visible, like a funey rash.

>>Or so I have been told.
>
>You was told good.

SY