hapey berthday UK101!

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 21, 2020, 7:38:24 AM12/21/20
0x29!

Watch this space next year[1] for the big HHGttG reference!

[1] GC willing, of course.

auuV

Dec 21, 2020, 10:56:55 AM12/21/20
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 12:38:31 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>0x29!

Hapey 0x29 UK101! :)))

>Watch this space next year[1] for the big HHGttG reference!

E! :)))

>[1] GC willing, of course.

Of course.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 21, 2021, 4:07:58 AM12/21/21
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 12:38:31 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>0x29!

FORTY TWO!

(Thats 0x2A for the hardcore old schoolers.)

>Watch this space next year[1] for the big HHGttG reference!

And here it is! Hapey berthday UK101!

>[1] GC willing, of course.

GC be praised! Or at least, celebrated. Well, talked about mildly
favourably. All right: referred to.

GC be referred to!

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 21, 2021, 5:08:55 AM12/21/21
On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:08:10 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 12:38:31 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:
>
>>0x29!
>
>FORTY TWO!
>
>(Thats 0x2A for the hardcore old schoolers.)

Heres smore factoids for the hardcore old schoolers:

A recent server at ARCC where I work has 96TB of storage. At UK101s 30
bytes per second that would fill 890 million C60 cassette tapes,
weighing about 58,000 tonnes[2]. Recording all that lot would take over
100,000 years.

Is it just me, or is that boggling? Im certainly boggled.

>>Watch this space next year[1] for the big HHGttG reference!
>
>And here it is! Hapey berthday UK101!
>

>>[1] GC willing, of course.
>
>GC be praised! Or at least, celebrated. Well, talked about mildly
>favourably. All right: referred to.
>
>GC be referred to!

[2] I am, of course, neglecting the mass of the cassette deck in that
figure.

auuV

Dec 21, 2021, 7:43:18 AM12/21/21
On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:08:10 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 12:38:31 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:
>
>>0x29!
>
>FORTY TWO!
>
>(Thats 0x2A for the hardcore old schoolers.)
>
>>Watch this space next year[1] for the big HHGttG reference!
>
>And here it is! Hapey berthday UK101!

Hapey berthday UK101! :)))00

>>[1] GC willing, of course.
>
>GC be praised! Or at least, celebrated. Well, talked about mildly
>favourably. All right: referred to.
>
>GC be referred to!

GC be referred to!

auuV

Dec 21, 2021, 7:45:09 AM12/21/21
On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:09:06 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:08:10 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 12:38:31 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:
>>
>>>0x29!
>>
>>FORTY TWO!
>>
>>(Thats 0x2A for the hardcore old schoolers.)
>
>Heres smore factoids for the hardcore old schoolers:
>
>A recent server at ARCC where I work has 96TB of storage. At UK101s 30
>bytes per second that would fill 890 million C60 cassette tapes,
>weighing about 58,000 tonnes[2]. Recording all that lot would take over
>100,000 years.
>
>Is it just me, or is that boggling? Im certainly boggled.

My mind is completely boggled. <stonned> in fact.

>>>Watch this space next year[1] for the big HHGttG reference!
>>
>>And here it is! Hapey berthday UK101!
>>

>>>[1] GC willing, of course.
>>
>>GC be praised! Or at least, celebrated. Well, talked about mildly
>>favourably. All right: referred to.
>>
>>GC be referred to!
>
>[2] I am, of course, neglecting the mass of the cassette deck in that
>figure.

Important to state these things. Im trying to stop wondering how high
the tapes could be stacked and what size of warehouses you would need
to store them.

auuV

Dec 21, 2021, 7:46:00 AM12/21/21
Also, high speed robots/drones to retrieve them. Or cute lickel
winged pink Pikmin. They are speedy. :)

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 21, 2021, 4:50:33 PM12/21/21
Each cassette is 100*63*13 mm, so has a volume of 8.19*10^-5 m^3. 890
million of them would have a total volume of about 73,000 m^3.

To put that into perspective the most common modern shipping container
is the "40 foot" type with standard dimensions of 12.2*2.44*2.59 m and a
volume of 77.1 m^3. 890 million cassette tapes would fill about 950 of
them, massing about 61 tonnes each. The largest modern container ships
carry about 12,000 such, so that would fill about 8% of its capacity.

Alternatively if you used a storage company you would need 36500 m^2 of
floor space (since storage units are often ~2m high). That is the
equivalent of over 39 standard "10x10 foot" storage units.

Renting 40 standard storage units prolly wouldnt be cheap. But it would
prolly be cheaper than renting 8% of a large container ship.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 21, 2021, 5:04:38 PM12/21/21
... which doesnt *really* answer your question. :(

The stacking height... it depends.

It is not recommended to stack them loose. Cassette boxes arent
particularly strong and a single rat in the warehouse (or even a married
one[1]) is going to cause chaos. You should be able to stack them 2m
high as in a storage locker though, and maybe you could use interleaving
like brickwork to improve stability.

Load bearing containers could be self stacked, but they are expensive.

The best (well, cheapest) bet would prolly be ordinary boxes stacked on
conventional shelving. Drag is even if you put them in 64L RUBs you
would need well over a million of them even if you could cram them
completely full. It would prolly be nearer 1.25 million allowing for
slack space.

I dont know how warehouse space is sold but one with enough shelf space
to store 1.25 million 64L boxes isnt going to be pocket money prices. :|

[1] Har de har har, DAD.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 21, 2021, 5:17:08 PM12/21/21
Access time would be an issue.

To access a file you would need to:

* send the robot to fetch the index tape (assuming you could fit the
whole index for 96TB of data on one 108KB tape, which seems *extremely*
unlikely);
* read the index tape, which by definition will take an average of 30
minutes;
* send the robot scooting off to fetch the indicated tape(s);
* read the indicated tape(s) - at a rate of well under 2KB per minute.

I couldnt find data on the access time for the MG07ACA12TE but it is
likely to be measured in a small number of milliseconds, and rotational
latency will average 4.2 milliseconds by definition. Lets be
conservative and say an average of 10 ms overall. Pink Pikmin might be
fast but I doubt *very* much that they are *that* fast.

Besides, the array can transfer data at a sustained 1.2 GB/s. Thats 40
million times faster than the UK101. Even if the pink Pikmin do their
jobs perfectly, DLing a movie is going to be a somewhat drawn-out
experience on that setup. :|

auuV

Dec 21, 2021, 7:48:45 PM12/21/21
Cheez-o, those ships are BIG! :O

>Alternatively if you used a storage company you would need 36500 m^2 of
>floor space (since storage units are often ~2m high). That is the
>equivalent of over 39 standard "10x10 foot" storage units.

Not quite as big as I might have guessed, then.

>Renting 40 standard storage units prolly wouldnt be cheap. But it would
>prolly be cheaper than renting 8% of a large container ship.

Indeed.

All in all, you are better off with the modern storage, Id say.

SY for the stats.

auuV

Dec 21, 2021, 7:51:44 PM12/21/21
Not sure that was a very valid question, because youd use shelving, I
realised after ps0ting.

>The stacking height... it depends.
>
>It is not recommended to stack them loose. Cassette boxes arent
>particularly strong and a single rat in the warehouse (or even a married
>one[1]) is going to cause chaos. You should be able to stack them 2m
>high as in a storage locker though, and maybe you could use interleaving
>like brickwork to improve stability.
>
>Load bearing containers could be self stacked, but they are expensive.

Yes, and heavy to handle. Retrieval would be a thought.

>The best (well, cheapest) bet would prolly be ordinary boxes stacked on
>conventional shelving. Drag is even if you put them in 64L RUBs you
>would need well over a million of them even if you could cram them
>completely full. It would prolly be nearer 1.25 million allowing for
>slack space.

Oh dear. Thats a lot.

>I dont know how warehouse space is sold but one with enough shelf space
>to store 1.25 million 64L boxes isnt going to be pocket money prices. :|

Im a bit <stonned> by this. The cost of the RUBs, to start with. They
would prolly give a volume discount, but even so.

>[1] Har de har har, DAD.

:DDDdd

auuV

Dec 21, 2021, 7:55:56 PM12/21/21
I will let you know when I start getting them to 4 star friendship
level (possibly the first two tomorrow). I really need 6 for most
expeditions* and only got the fifth one today, and its not even
reached one star yet, so it could be a while.

>Besides, the array can transfer data at a sustained 1.2 GB/s. Thats 40
>million times faster than the UK101. Even if the pink Pikmin do their
>jobs perfectly, DLing a movie is going to be a somewhat drawn-out
>experience on that setup. :|

Forty million! Blimey!

Every time you put more numbers in, the more mind-blowing it becomes.

Thank you again.

* Obvs if you add a pedestrian Pikmin to an otherwise-flying(pink)
party, it slows the expedition time right down.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 23, 2021, 8:11:19 AM12/23/21
<klik!>

The Evergreen A-Class. A little bigger than the Merc of the same name.
61.5m wide, a sliver under 400m long, and "gross tonnage" 235,579 (that
is a largely nominal figure and doesnt reflect the actual mass, but it
gives you some idea).

>>Alternatively if you used a storage company you would need 36500 m^2 of
>>floor space (since storage units are often ~2m high). That is the
>>equivalent of over 39 standard "10x10 foot" storage units.
>
>Not quite as big as I might have guessed, then.

Thats because there was an error in my calculation. I should have said
"over 3900 standard "10x10 foot" storage units". Fuck you!

>>Renting 40 standard storage units prolly wouldnt be cheap. But it would
>>prolly be cheaper than renting 8% of a large container ship.
>
>Indeed.
>
>All in all, you are better off with the modern storage, Id say.
>
>SY for the stats.

Even if some of them were wrong. :(

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 23, 2021, 8:14:21 AM12/23/21
Do the Pikmin not have a code of honour whereby they realise they are
slowing down the party with possibly fatal consequences and offer to
"just go outside for a little while"?

Or is it more of a fraggy, "taking care of business" sort of approach?
"Sadly Pink Pikmin Third Class Foo was 'killed while on patrol'"?

auuV

Dec 25, 2021, 10:21:29 AM12/25/21
So huge! The mind is boggling. Gently, because its a holiday, but
boggling.

>>>Alternatively if you used a storage company you would need 36500 m^2 of
>>>floor space (since storage units are often ~2m high). That is the
>>>equivalent of over 39 standard "10x10 foot" storage units.
>>
>>Not quite as big as I might have guessed, then.
>
>Thats because there was an error in my calculation. I should have said
>"over 3900 standard "10x10 foot" storage units". Fuck you!

Ah. If I had been sharper I might have thought "Whut?"

>>>Renting 40 standard storage units prolly wouldnt be cheap. But it would
>>>prolly be cheaper than renting 8% of a large container ship.
>>
>>Indeed.
>>
>>All in all, you are better off with the modern storage, Id say.
>>
>>SY for the stats.
>
>Even if some of them were wrong. :(

Thats what numbers are for. Some of the time. :D

auuV

Dec 25, 2021, 10:21:54 AM12/25/21
(See: Actuaries)

auuV

Dec 25, 2021, 10:28:36 AM12/25/21
<bulbs inconsolably>

>Or is it more of a fraggy, "taking care of business" sort of approach?
>"Sadly Pink Pikmin Third Class Foo was 'killed while on patrol'"?

:(((99

I understand that the console Pikmin games have some kind of Bad Thing
in them, but no sign in the Pikmin Bloom game, thank goodness. And
may it stay that way!

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 25, 2021, 3:14:16 PM12/25/21
And physicists! Even disgraced former ones!

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 25, 2021, 3:22:11 PM12/25/21
I wonder how many Pokemon would get "transferred to Professor Willow" if
they showed you exactly how Stardust and Candy are made?

Oh, what, you think the retired mons go live on a free range farm while
PW just gives you some candy he *grew* because he likes collecting
useless monsters so much?

Get real.

auuV

Dec 25, 2021, 4:15:35 PM12/25/21
YEAH! Got to have that "out by a factor of" fun!

auuV

Dec 25, 2021, 4:19:10 PM12/25/21
Sorry, I dont believe you. Not one little bit.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 27, 2021, 3:12:32 PM12/27/21
I like Fermi estimation the best. For *really* winding up the pedants
it cant be beat. :D

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 27, 2021, 3:19:31 PM12/27/21
Sorry. Dr Malvado was using my computer. :(

Im pretty sure PW has that farm and it is very big so all the mon can
roam free. It must take up pretty much all of Wqles in fact.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 27, 2021, 3:37:45 PM12/27/21
OBrien: And what if the Party says that 2+2=5?

Smith: Nah. [waving hand] 2+2 is about 10.

auuV

Dec 28, 2021, 12:42:11 PM12/28/21
<klik!>

Aha! Thats good. Something useful that is sometimes
<kof!actuarieskof!> overlooked but would have been of great benefit.

auuV

Dec 28, 2021, 1:15:05 PM12/28/21
TBH, because I never played the Pokemon console games, I never really
grasped the geography of their world. Which would be useful to know,
because it gets referred to for monster variants, and to build up
interest in events.

auuV

Dec 28, 2021, 1:23:51 PM12/28/21
Its very satisfying. And I like this version.

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 6, 2022, 9:41:11 AM1/6/22
Honk!

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 6, 2022, 10:01:09 AM1/6/22
I thought the whole thing took place in .jp. How naive is that? :|

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 6, 2022, 10:22:39 AM1/6/22
I am a little disappointed that it isnt called "Napier estimation" since
its basically using logarithms instead of numbers. But thats life.

auuV

Jan 6, 2022, 2:48:22 PM1/6/22
Actuary World.

auuV

Jan 6, 2022, 3:08:44 PM1/6/22
I havent studied it, but the Pokedex is organised by region and they
sometimes have Events that make a feature of the regions. I should
have said "I never played the Pokemon console games or watched the
anime series on TV", because I think a lot of the lore might come
across in the anime.

auuV

Jan 10, 2022, 6:12:58 PM1/10/22
Poor Napier! :(

I did a sketch of his hoose, not all that long ago.*

* I have completely lost track of time.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 21, 2022, 6:58:10 AM12/21/22
On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:08:10 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>FORTY TWO!

Its that wistful time of year again.

43. 0x2B. '+', if you prefer to skim the other side of the hex dump.

All that stuff mattered a lot more when hacking 8 bit code back in the
1970s. Kids of today dont know<BoomerCancel>

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 21, 2022, 7:06:20 AM12/21/22
On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 11:58:28 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:08:10 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:
>
>>FORTY TWO!
>
>Its that wistful time of year again.

A Simple Wist of Fate.

>43. 0x2B. '+', if you prefer to skim the other side of the hex dump.

To be or not to be, that is the question.

Then the answer is eff eff.

(Lickel 8 bit joke for you there. Prolly went over the heids of people
who thought "shurely it should be FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?")

>All that stuff mattered a lot more when hacking 8 bit code back in the
>1970s. Kids of today dont know<BoomerCancel>

LDY #str DIV 256
LDX #str
.loop
JSR write_string
JSR osnewl
JMP loop
.str
EQUS "DiGGr IS ACE!"
EQUB &D

What, you thought strings were terminated by NUL? :D

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 21, 2022, 7:16:09 AM12/21/22
Well look at Mister Fancypants. We didnt have no lower case nor none of
them schmancy control codes neither! Try:

DEFS "DIGGR IS ACE!$".

<FourYorkshiremenCancel>

auuV

Dec 21, 2022, 6:40:04 PM12/21/22
On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 11:58:28 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

Hapey berthday, UK101! :)))00

43!

And all that! :)

auuV

Dec 21, 2022, 6:42:33 PM12/21/22
On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 12:06:38 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 11:58:28 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:08:10 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:
>>
>>>FORTY TWO!
>>
>>Its that wistful time of year again.
>
>A Simple Wist of Fate.

By "Dee Ee", I am reading these ps0ts just as Gideon Coe starts
playing tonights Wist Wagon. Or Waggon, I dont know.

>>43. 0x2B. '+', if you prefer to skim the other side of the hex dump.
>
>To be or not to be, that is the question.
>
>Then the answer is eff eff.
>
>(Lickel 8 bit joke for you there. Prolly went over the heids of people
>who thought "shurely it should be FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?")

After being awake since 05:40 and runnin aboot daft all day, Im
thinking 440 Hz. :(

>>All that stuff mattered a lot more when hacking 8 bit code back in the
>>1970s. Kids of today dont know<BoomerCancel>
>
>LDY #str DIV 256
>LDX #str
>.loop
>JSR write_string
>JSR osnewl
>JMP loop
>.str
>EQUS "DiGGr IS ACE!"
>EQUB &D
>
>What, you thought strings were terminated by NUL? :D

:D

Was DiGGr self-aware back then?

auuV

Dec 21, 2022, 6:44:15 PM12/21/22
I was talking about punched cards and computer bureaux earlier today.
:)

auuV

Dec 21, 2022, 6:48:54 PM12/21/22
On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 23:42:36 +0000, auuV <au...@zehen.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 12:06:38 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>>>Its that wistful time of year again.
>>
>>A Simple Wist of Fate.
>
>By "Dee Ee", I am reading these ps0ts just as Gideon Coe starts
>playing tonights Wist Wagon. Or Waggon, I dont know.

Second track: The Blue Nile: _Family Life_

My god, that man has a voice that does poignant to perfection. Its
hard to imagine that he was ever a carefree wee boy.

>>>43. 0x2B. '+', if you prefer to skim the other side of the hex dump.
>>
>>To be or not to be, that is the question.
>>
>>Then the answer is eff eff.
>>
>>(Lickel 8 bit joke for you there. Prolly went over the heids of people
>>who thought "shurely it should be FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?")
>
>After being awake since 05:40

Fuckyous. I am pretty sure it was 05:20.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 23, 2022, 11:59:25 AM12/23/22
Punched cards? You were lucky. We ad to use plugboards. An if we got
it wrong, Itler would bomb Sheffield. Luckily we got it wrong all the
time, o course, but even so.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 23, 2022, 12:04:54 PM12/23/22
On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 23:42:36 +0000, auuV <au...@zehen.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 12:06:38 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>>>Its that wistful time of year again.
>>
>>A Simple Wist of Fate.
>
>By "Dee Ee", I am reading these ps0ts just as Gideon Coe starts
>playing tonights Wist Wagon. Or Waggon, I dont know.

three wists on my waggon
and Im still rollin along

But wait. The trashualiser is spinning up:

three wists for Musther Mark

Now that trashualiser is really humming:

one wist to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

>>>43. 0x2B. '+', if you prefer to skim the other side of the hex dump.
>>
>>To be or not to be, that is the question.
>>
>>Then the answer is eff eff.
>>
>>(Lickel 8 bit joke for you there. Prolly went over the heids of people
>>who thought "shurely it should be FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?")
>
>After being awake since 05:40 and runnin aboot daft all day, Im
>thinking 440 Hz. :(

Could be worse. Could be:

[NO SIGNAL]

>>>All that stuff mattered a lot more when hacking 8 bit code back in the
>>>1970s. Kids of today dont know<BoomerCancel>
>>
>>LDY #str DIV 256
>>LDX #str
>>.loop
>>JSR write_string
>>JSR osnewl
>>JMP loop
>>.str
>>EQUS "DiGGr IS ACE!"
>>EQUB &D
>>
>>What, you thought strings were terminated by NUL? :D
>
> :D
>
>Was DiGGr self-aware back then?

DiGGr proper started about 1981 I would say. So if not *quite* yet,
then very soon.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 23, 2022, 12:05:56 PM12/23/22
Course, the bad news is 43 beers are gonna danm near kill me. :(

auuV

Dec 23, 2022, 5:51:53 PM12/23/22
:(((

I had to operate a very smol exchange in an office job at an
engineering works in Granton when I was about 14 (a holiday job - the
other girls in my year were older and would all have reached 15). You
had to put a plug into the socket for the extension they wanted. It
was terrifying.

auuV

Dec 23, 2022, 5:56:51 PM12/23/22
On Fri, 23 Dec 2022 17:05:25 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 23:42:36 +0000, auuV <au...@zehen.invalid> wrote:

>>>A Simple Wist of Fate.
>>
>>By "Dee Ee", I am reading these ps0ts just as Gideon Coe starts
>>playing tonights Wist Wagon. Or Waggon, I dont know.
>
>three wists on my waggon
>and Im still rollin along

A song that seems to go on and on (but you can work out when its going
to stop).

>But wait. The trashualiser is spinning up:
>
>three wists for Musther Mark

I would not have known that one.

"Is it a Fall song?" :D

>Now that trashualiser is really humming:
>
>one wist to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

I can picture a wist being a type of Ring.

>>>To be or not to be, that is the question.
>>>
>>>Then the answer is eff eff.
>>>
>>>(Lickel 8 bit joke for you there. Prolly went over the heids of people
>>>who thought "shurely it should be FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?")
>>
>>After being awake since 05:40 and runnin aboot daft all day, Im
>>thinking 440 Hz. :(
>
>Could be worse. Could be:
>
> [NO SIGNAL]

O_O

>>>LDY #str DIV 256
>>>LDX #str
>>>.loop
>>>JSR write_string
>>>JSR osnewl
>>>JMP loop
>>>.str
>>>EQUS "DiGGr IS ACE!"
>>>EQUB &D
>>>
>>>What, you thought strings were terminated by NUL? :D
>>
>> :D
>>
>>Was DiGGr self-aware back then?
>
>DiGGr proper started about 1981 I would say. So if not *quite* yet,
>then very soon.

OK, its valid!

auuV

Dec 23, 2022, 6:01:44 PM12/23/22
How about this instead? There used to be a wine shop (Oddbins, or
something more old skool) over *there* (indicates a building on a
street to the North) that I passed regularly. It always had
interesting liqueurs or other licquors in the window and the Cuaranta
y Tres was one I liked the look of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licor_43

|Licor 43, or Cuarenta y Tres (Spanish for "43"), is a Spanish
|liqueur, made in Cartagena, Spain.

|It was invented in 1946 by Diego Zamora, along with his brother
|and sister, Angel and Josefina Zamora, and Emilio Restoy,
|Josefina's husband. The Licor 43 website states they based
|their recipe on the Liqvor Mirabilis (marvellous liquid),
|a golden, aromatic elixir produced and infused from local fruits
|and herbs in Carthago Nova during the 3rd century. Liqvor
|Mirabilis was encountered by the Romans when they conquered
|the region in 209 BC; despite the Romans banning its production
|and consumption, the Carthaginians continued producing in secret.

Well they would, wouldnt they?

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 25, 2022, 9:29:05 PM12/25/22
On Fri, 23 Dec 2022 23:01:48 +0000, auuV <au...@zehen.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Dec 2022 17:06:27 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>>>Hapey berthday, UK101! :)))00
>>>
>>>43!
>>>
>>>And all that! :)
>>
>>Course, the bad news is 43 beers are gonna danm near kill me. :(
>
>How about this instead? There used to be a wine shop (Oddbins, or
>something more old skool) over *there* (indicates a building on a
>street to the North) that I passed regularly. It always had
>interesting liqueurs or other licquors in the window and the Cuaranta
>y Tres was one I liked the look of.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licor_43
>
>|Licor 43, or Cuarenta y Tres (Spanish for "43"), is a Spanish
>|liqueur, made in Cartagena, Spain.

And I have the perfect film to watch while youre drinking it!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1333125/

>|It was invented in 1946 by Diego Zamora, along with his brother
>|and sister, Angel and Josefina Zamora, and Emilio Restoy,
>|Josefina's husband. The Licor 43 website states they based
>|their recipe on the Liqvor Mirabilis (marvellous liquid),
>|a golden, aromatic elixir produced and infused from local fruits
>|and herbs in Carthago Nova during the 3rd century. Liqvor
>|Mirabilis was encountered by the Romans when they conquered
>|the region in 209 BC; despite the Romans banning its production
>|and consumption, the Carthaginians continued producing in secret.
>
>Well they would, wouldnt they?

Why did the Romans ban it? Was there a specific reason (eg it competed
with their own products) or did they just hate the Carthaginians *that*
much?

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 25, 2022, 9:34:11 PM12/25/22
On Fri, 23 Dec 2022 22:56:55 +0000, auuV <au...@zehen.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Dec 2022 17:05:25 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>>>By "Dee Ee", I am reading these ps0ts just as Gideon Coe starts
>>>playing tonights Wist Wagon. Or Waggon, I dont know.
>>
>>three wists on my waggon
>>and Im still rollin along

I was born under a wandering star

>A song that seems to go on and on (but you can work out when its going
>to stop).

Like _99 Bockels of Bere on the Wall_. It gets old real fast, but at
least there is a well defined terminating condition. :|

>>But wait. The trashualiser is spinning up:
>>
>>three wists for Musther Mark
>
>I would not have known that one.
>
>"Is it a Fall song?" :D

A James Joyce/fall mashup would be something to behold.

>>Now that trashualiser is really humming:
>>
>>one wist to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
>
>I can picture a wist being a type of Ring.

A Wishing Wist.

>>>After being awake since 05:40 and runnin aboot daft all day, Im
>>>thinking 440 Hz. :(
>>
>>Could be worse. Could be:
>>
>> [NO SIGNAL]
>
> O_O

It always makes me think of that William Gibson qvott:

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead
channel."

What, you mean bright blue? :D

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 25, 2022, 9:39:27 PM12/25/22
Why didnt you just install Asterisk and set up a VoIP gateway for them?

> It
>was terrifying.

Because you might overhear a murder plot and have the killer start
chasing you to ensure your silence?

auuV

Dec 26, 2022, 6:08:06 PM12/26/22
Neat! :)

>>|It was invented in 1946 by Diego Zamora, along with his brother
>>|and sister, Angel and Josefina Zamora, and Emilio Restoy,
>>|Josefina's husband. The Licor 43 website states they based
>>|their recipe on the Liqvor Mirabilis (marvellous liquid),
>>|a golden, aromatic elixir produced and infused from local fruits
>>|and herbs in Carthago Nova during the 3rd century. Liqvor
>>|Mirabilis was encountered by the Romans when they conquered
>>|the region in 209 BC; despite the Romans banning its production
>>|and consumption, the Carthaginians continued producing in secret.
>>
>>Well they would, wouldnt they?
>
>Why did the Romans ban it? Was there a specific reason (eg it competed
>with their own products) or did they just hate the Carthaginians *that*
>much?

"To avoid temptations" is mentioned in some of the back stories for
Licor 43. All seem to refer back to the companys own description of
the history, though. Perhaps banning a heady drink in a garrison, if
such it was?

auuV

Dec 26, 2022, 6:42:48 PM12/26/22
On Mon, 26 Dec 2022 02:34:15 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Dec 2022 22:56:55 +0000, auuV <au...@zehen.invalid> wrote:

>>>three wists on my waggon
>>>and Im still rollin along
>
>I was born under a wandering star

Thats really poetic, that song.

>>A song that seems to go on and on (but you can work out when its going
>>to stop).
>
>Like _99 Bockels of Bere on the Wall_. It gets old real fast, but at
>least there is a well defined terminating condition. :|

Now I am singing Billy Connollys _Three Men From Carntyne_ and I cant
stop.

===
Three men fae Carntyne went tae join the parish
Three men fae Carntyne went tae join the parish
Three young gentlemen from the east end of glasgow went to sign social
security!

Three men fae Carntyne and a bottle a wine
Went tae join the parish
Three men fae Carntyne and a bottle a wine
Went tae join the parish

Three men fae Carntyne and a bottle a wine and five Woodbine, went tae
join the parish
Three men fae Carntyne and a bottle a wine and five Woodbine, went tae
join the parish
Three men fae Carntyne and a bottle a wine and five Woodbine, And a
big black Greyhound dug called Boab, went tae join the parish
Three men fae Carntyne and a bottle a wine and five Woodbine, And a
big black Greyhound dug called Boab, went tae join the parish

Three men fae Carntyne and a bottle a wine and five Woodbine, And a
big black Greyhound dug called Boab fae up oor close, alang oor street
Went tae join the parish
Three men fae Carntyne and a bottle a wine and five Woodbine, And a
big black Greyhound dug called Boab fae up oor close, alang oor street
Went tae join the parish

Three men fae Carntyne and a bottle a wine and five Woodbine, And a
big black Greyhound dug called Boab fae up oor close, alang oor
street, And a lassy called Senga that works in the dairy she's been
skelly ever since the Milanda boy, hit her on the heid wi' a
breidboard, went tae join the parish
===

- uh - agh - arrrgggh!

I stopped!

>>>But wait. The trashualiser is spinning up:
>>>
>>>three wists for Musther Mark
>>
>>I would not have known that one.
>>
>>"Is it a Fall song?" :D
>
>A James Joyce/fall mashup would be something to behold.

It certainly would. I think Mark would hold his own.

>>>Now that trashualiser is really humming:
>>>
>>>one wist to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
>>
>>I can picture a wist being a type of Ring.
>
>A Wishing Wist.

Thats lovely. A Wishing Wist, lost in the mist.

Theres a road somewhere near Newcraighall and Edinbvrgh called the
Wisp. It was a country road, I dont know what its like now.

>>>Could be worse. Could be:
>>>
>>> [NO SIGNAL]
>>
>> O_O
>
>It always makes me think of that William Gibson qvott:
>
>"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead
>channel."

I love that!

>What, you mean bright blue? :D

Ah. Good point. :(((99

auuV

Dec 26, 2022, 6:49:32 PM12/26/22
I was a bit apprehensive about doing anything new after I went and
asked the storeman for a long stand. :|

>> It
>>was terrifying.
>
>Because you might overhear a murder plot and have the killer start
>chasing you to ensure your silence?

Oh god. I got a lift to work and home, all the way from the other
side of the city, on the back of a motorbike. Can you picture the
chase scene?

Er.

Come to think of it...

https://youtu.be/FJ_Mg7m-ZfY?t=105

Favourite bit, Frederick Street, right by where Five Guys would be
decades later...

https://youtu.be/FJ_Mg7m-ZfY?t=131

:)

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 27, 2022, 12:13:31 PM12/27/22
It has to be said that the film does not garner particularly favourable
reviews.

>>>Well they would, wouldnt they?
>>
>>Why did the Romans ban it? Was there a specific reason (eg it competed
>>with their own products) or did they just hate the Carthaginians *that*
>>much?
>
>"To avoid temptations" is mentioned in some of the back stories for
>Licor 43. All seem to refer back to the companys own description of
>the history, though. Perhaps banning a heady drink in a garrison, if
>such it was?

But it sounds like they didnt only ban it from garrisons, they banned it
completely. And 209 BC was centuries before they got all po faced and
joyless. So what was going on there?

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 27, 2022, 12:20:13 PM12/27/22
Im glad it wasnt just an innate resistance to the use of open source
software! Some people just refuse to recognise the benefits.

>>> It
>>>was terrifying.
>>
>>Because you might overhear a murder plot and have the killer start
>>chasing you to ensure your silence?
>
>Oh god. I got a lift to work and home, all the way from the other
>side of the city, on the back of a motorbike. Can you picture the
>chase scene?
>
>Er.
>
>Come to think of it...
>
>https://youtu.be/FJ_Mg7m-ZfY?t=105
>
>Favourite bit, Frederick Street, right by where Five Guys would be
>decades later...
>
>https://youtu.be/FJ_Mg7m-ZfY?t=131
>
> :)

I am disappoint. I thought it was going to be a scene from _Girl on a
Motorcycle_. Then I thought about the Edinbvrgh reference and thought
it might be the opening scene of _Trainspotting_. Which I always
thought looks like it was at least inspired by Luc Bessons _Subway_. I
dont know why I always thought that.

Um. I forgot what we were talking about?

auuV

Dec 28, 2022, 5:41:18 PM12/28/22
Unlike the liqueur.

Now I am trying to remember another liqueur that used to catch my eye
in that window. Danm.

auuV

Dec 28, 2022, 5:49:40 PM12/28/22
Sorry, I was speculating that Carthage might have been considered a
garrison town.

But really, I dont know. We could write to the Zamoras and ask. Or
maybe there is a subreddit that knows all about ancient Roman drinks,
or Carthage.

auuV

Dec 28, 2022, 5:52:31 PM12/28/22
Cant find it. I thought it was something to do with "wall".

But look at this (incomplete, of course) lystte of liqueurs!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_liqueurs

So many. Imagine all the colours. And niffs.

|99 bananas (banana-flavored schnapps, 99-proof)

Hmm.

auuV

Dec 28, 2022, 6:02:50 PM12/28/22
Even though I worked with Big Proprietary for many years, I was grand
with open source software when I learned about it.

>>>Because you might overhear a murder plot and have the killer start
>>>chasing you to ensure your silence?
>>
>>Oh god. I got a lift to work and home, all the way from the other
>>side of the city, on the back of a motorbike. Can you picture the
>>chase scene?
>>
>>Er.
>>
>>Come to think of it...
>>
>>https://youtu.be/FJ_Mg7m-ZfY?t=105
>>
>>Favourite bit, Frederick Street, right by where Five Guys would be
>>decades later...
>>
>>https://youtu.be/FJ_Mg7m-ZfY?t=131
>>
>> :)
>
>I am disappoint. I thought it was going to be a scene from _Girl on a
>Motorcycle_. Then I thought about the Edinbvrgh reference and thought
>it might be the opening scene of _Trainspotting_. Which I always
>thought looks like it was at least inspired by Luc Bessons _Subway_. I
>dont know why I always thought that.

Sorry! Its a very nostalgic scene for me. :)))

The opening scene of _Trainspotting_ is an absolute classic. (Even
though you wouldnt run up Hanover Street to get to Calton Road where
that car comes out of St Ninians Row and hits Renton.) _Lust for
Life_ makes it perfect.

I watch it from time to time, just because it is so good. Big
nostalge for John Menzies (the store they are being chased from) and
its record and video rental departments, and bigger nostalge for the
old-style white concrete street bins with black tops.

<clunk!>

>Um. I forgot what we were talking about?

I have no idea. :)

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 28, 2022, 11:59:56 PM12/28/22
So _99 Luftballon_ implies that there is luftballon flavoured schnapps?

Though I think thats just ordinary schnapps.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 29, 2022, 12:02:30 AM12/29/22
Im not sure modern notions of "garrison town" work when trying to apply
them to the setups They[TM] had Back Then[TM]. Like asking a Spartan if
hes in the army.

>But really, I dont know. We could write to the Zamoras and ask. Or
>maybe there is a subreddit that knows all about ancient Roman drinks,
>or Carthage.

There used to be a Carthage subreddit. But it got deleted. :DDDdd

auuV

Dec 29, 2022, 5:51:59 PM12/29/22
Carbon monoxide-flavoured schnapps?

auuV

Dec 29, 2022, 5:53:16 PM12/29/22
Am I actually going to have to study the Romans in Carthage/New
Carthage to understand any more about this?

>>But really, I dont know. We could write to the Zamoras and ask. Or
>>maybe there is a subreddit that knows all about ancient Roman drinks,
>>or Carthage.
>
>There used to be a Carthage subreddit. But it got deleted. :DDDdd

Hahahahaha etc!

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 31, 2022, 6:35:22 PM12/31/22
Sorry, I thought everybody knew this was going to be on the test.

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 31, 2022, 6:36:36 PM12/31/22
Who on earth fills ballon with carbon monoxide?

Irresponsible pranksters?

auuV

Jan 2, 2023, 1:08:59 PM1/2/23
Wouldnt it be funny if ed.ac.uk was running an external course on The
Romans in New Carthage this term?

I darent look.

auuV

Jan 2, 2023, 1:17:27 PM1/2/23
Oh, dr*t! I confused carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide! :(((

Again. :(((

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 8, 2023, 5:26:41 AM1/8/23
Never, ever let anyone put you in charge of handling gases! O_O

auuV: Wanna huff some nitrous?

partygoer: [face melts]

auuV: Oh wait, that was nitric. I always mix those two up!

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 8, 2023, 5:27:47 AM1/8/23
Maybe they could do a thing on the Pubic Wars. :)

>I darent look.

Im sure the illustrations will be tastefully done.

auuV

Jan 8, 2023, 1:02:15 PM1/8/23
I hate it when that happens!

See also the wartime detective novel _Green for Danger_ by Christianna
Brand.

auuV

Jan 8, 2023, 1:04:47 PM1/8/23
Sfuney, I was just thinking about those, after seeing a reference to
Cartagena and checking out its article on WP!

>>I darent look.
>
>Im sure the illustrations will be tastefully done.

Cant count on anything. Depends what the sensitivity reviewer
decides, I guess.

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 9, 2023, 12:49:15 AM1/9/23
<klik!>

| with squares, cobblestone streets and colorful colonial buildings

Sounds a lot like Edinbvrgh! :)

>>>I darent look.
>>
>>Im sure the illustrations will be tastefully done.
>
>Cant count on anything. Depends what the sensitivity reviewer
>decides, I guess.

The sensitivity reviewer, with *all due* respect, doesnt seem to
understand the difference between having boundaries and having
standards.

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 9, 2023, 12:51:06 AM1/9/23
I wondered about that, too.

Paramedic: This patient needs supplemental oxygen immediately!

auuv: Thats the pale green one that smells like bleach, yeah?

auuV

Jan 9, 2023, 8:15:46 AM1/9/23
Just popped in here for a second to say watch out for 500,000 ps0ts
from Edinbvrgensians saying "Well, actually, in Edinbvrgh they are
setts." :(((

More anon. :)

auuV

Jan 9, 2023, 6:15:20 PM1/9/23
<klik!>

Isnt that canister yellow? Or is it the tennis ball colour all over
again?

Oh, wait.

Its the gas, not the canister, thats pale green. Glad I checked.

auuV

Jan 9, 2023, 8:09:05 PM1/9/23
Edinbvrghs colourful grey buildings?

A Ukrainian artist did teach me to look closely at the sandstone and
see pinks and yellows and that in it. But in some lights the New Town
and many of the Old Town* buildings really do look grey.

* In the 1950s and 1960s an enlightened City Architect restored and
replaced lost Old Town buildings with new ones in the vernacular syle,
down around the Royal Mile and Canongate. These featured exterior
paint in pleasing reds and, er, other colours that I cant recall right
now. Yellows, prolly.

Also, the current tours would prolly call the new town "colonialist
buildings". Of course, generalising that would be a stretch.

>>>Cant count on anything. Depends what the sensitivity reviewer
>>>decides, I guess.
>>
>>The sensitivity reviewer, with *all due* respect, doesnt seem to
>>understand the difference between having boundaries and having
>>standards.

Pithy and true.
Message has been deleted

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 20, 2023, 7:07:29 AM1/20/23
Danm those rich white scottish people colonialising, er, scotland. :|

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 20, 2023, 7:19:03 AM1/20/23
Like I said, just stay away from gases.

auuV

Jan 20, 2023, 5:54:42 PM1/20/23
Verging on light blue in this weather, tbh, some of them.

>colonialising, er, scotland. :|

Not sure that was exactly how it worked. But anyway, yes.

auuV

Jan 20, 2023, 6:47:43 PM1/20/23
K.

Jumping Jack Flash
Its a [...] [...] [...]

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 21, 2023, 8:02:39 AM1/21/23
You only really need one "[...]".

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 21, 2023, 8:23:51 AM1/21/23
Blue blooded.

>>colonialising, er, scotland. :|
>
>Not sure that was exactly how it worked. But anyway, yes.

"Some people long ago did bad things. Some other people at about the
same time did stuff. I therefore associate stuff with bad things. DOWN
WITH STUFF!"

After all its just simple logic!

auuV

Jan 21, 2023, 3:00:57 PM1/21/23
I was picturing it being "said" by Cloud Strife type of thing. But I
take your point.

auuV

Jan 21, 2023, 3:35:20 PM1/21/23
Gone transparent to try to extract some Vit D from the impoverished
sunlight levels.

>>>colonialising, er, scotland. :|
>>
>>Not sure that was exactly how it worked. But anyway, yes.
>
>"Some people long ago did bad things. Some other people at about the
>same time did stuff. I therefore associate stuff with bad things. DOWN
>WITH STUFF!"

It must confuse people when they see signs like this one, which I was
looking at today in Stockbridge. Except that it has now been
repainted (like the other WoL Walkway signs) in a rather magnificent
maroon and gold colour scheme.

https://i0.wp.com/ramblingscot.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/WaterOfLeithStockbridgeSign.jpeg

WATER
OF
LEITH
WALKWAY

DEANHAUGH PATH

ROYAL BOTANIC GARDEN
& COLONIES ->

Where the Colonies are one of the sets of lovely artisan houses built
in the 19th Century and are now much prized by arty types and
therapists and so on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_houses

===
The colony houses of Edinburgh were built between 1850 and 1910 as
homes for artisans and skilled working-class families by philanthropic
model dwellings companies. The first development was the Pilrig Model
Buildings, near Leith Walk.[1] Later developments across the city were
built by the Edinburgh Cooperative Building Company Limited, founded
in 1861. The founders of this company were influenced by the Reverend
Dr. James Begg and the Reverend Dr. Thomas Chalmers, ministers of the
Free Church of Scotland, who campaigned to improve the housing
conditions of the poor.
===

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 28, 2023, 1:06:23 PM1/28/23
Must be handy when you need an X ray though.

>>>Not sure that was exactly how it worked. But anyway, yes.
>>
>>"Some people long ago did bad things. Some other people at about the
>>same time did stuff. I therefore associate stuff with bad things. DOWN
>>WITH STUFF!"
>
>It must confuse people when they see signs like this one, which I was
>looking at today in Stockbridge. Except that it has now been
>repainted (like the other WoL Walkway signs) in a rather magnificent
>maroon and gold colour scheme.

.uk has a lot of signs that are confusing to the uninitiated.

Apparently tourists are often amused and confused by the prominent sign
that says "SECRET NUCLEAR BUNKER".

Its actually pretty simple: without the sign, how would anyone know
where the secret bunker was? Duh!

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 28, 2023, 1:25:57 PM1/28/23
Dont try this at home. I started saying "..." out loud for a while -
*really* irritated people. :(

auuV

Jan 28, 2023, 7:17:52 PM1/28/23
Oh, dont. Have just remembered shining a torch through the finguars.

<sees torch on desk>

<klik!>

<fascinated stare>

Not sure I have done that with a Gosuna T10 LED torch before. Lots of
glowy finguar-ends.

>>>"Some people long ago did bad things. Some other people at about the
>>>same time did stuff. I therefore associate stuff with bad things. DOWN
>>>WITH STUFF!"
>>
>>It must confuse people when they see signs like this one, which I was
>>looking at today in Stockbridge. Except that it has now been
>>repainted (like the other WoL Walkway signs) in a rather magnificent
>>maroon and gold colour scheme.
>
>.uk has a lot of signs that are confusing to the uninitiated.

Right.

>Apparently tourists are often amused and confused by the prominent sign
>that says "SECRET NUCLEAR BUNKER".

To be fair, .usians have a secret service named the Secret Service and
you can see them in action guarding the pres.

>Its actually pretty simple: without the sign, how would anyone know
>where the secret bunker was? Duh!

Well, quite! Especially if the people entitled to the bunker were
Tims Nice But Dim.

auuV

Jan 30, 2023, 6:39:53 PM1/30/23
I should give it a try, perhaps. Or maybe not.

I guess some of my nicer "CALM" type earplugs are like automatic
translator machina for spoken LANGUAGE tp "...".

nob...@nowhere.com

Feb 18, 2023, 8:35:34 AM2/18/23
Not to be confused with "CLAM" type earmuffs.

> are like automatic
>translator machina for spoken LANGUAGE tp "...".

I want one that does lip sync. So I dont have to be bothered by them
*at all*. :|

nob...@nowhere.com

Feb 18, 2023, 9:00:23 AM2/18/23
I dont think thats strictly comparable but apparently Im in Small Brane
Mode this morning and cant be sure.

What I need is brane magnifying bacon sarnies. With brahn sors and a
cu'o'tea.

>>Its actually pretty simple: without the sign, how would anyone know
>>where the secret bunker was? Duh!
>
>Well, quite! Especially if the people entitled to the bunker were
>Tims Nice But Dim.

Understandable. They might need to repopulate the earth, and we wouldnt
want to raise the ugly spectre of eugenics by saving any smart people!

auuV

Apr 3, 2023, 7:19:27 PM4/3/23
That wouldnt be a rude reference, would it? Sounds a bit rude. Sort
of 1.10 entendre.

>> are like automatic
>>translator machina for spoken LANGUAGE tp "...".
>
>I want one that does lip sync. So I dont have to be bothered by them
>*at all*. :|

What, how would that work?

auuV

Apr 3, 2023, 7:21:42 PM4/3/23
Its very late here and I need to enpiedish but perhaps I also need a
brahn bred sandwich and a cup of water.

>>>Its actually pretty simple: without the sign, how would anyone know
>>>where the secret bunker was? Duh!
>>
>>Well, quite! Especially if the people entitled to the bunker were
>>Tims Nice But Dim.
>
>Understandable. They might need to repopulate the earth, and we wouldnt
>want to raise the ugly spectre of eugenics by saving any smart people!

Philip K Dick should be getting massive ROYALTIES, wherever he is now,
from various Realities, for Harrison Bergeron and derivative works.

nob...@nowhere.com

Apr 6, 2023, 6:44:40 AM4/6/23
Sandwiches are good. :)

>>>Well, quite! Especially if the people entitled to the bunker were
>>>Tims Nice But Dim.
>>
>>Understandable. They might need to repopulate the earth, and we wouldnt
>>want to raise the ugly spectre of eugenics by saving any smart people!
>
>Philip K Dick should be getting massive ROYALTIES, wherever he is now,
>from various Realities, for Harrison Bergeron and derivative works.

And Arthur C Clarke. It currently looks like HAL 9000 will be for
realsies only about 30 years after the fictional timeline. Thats pretty
impressive. Particularly since it seemed further away than ever in
2001.

nob...@nowhere.com

Apr 6, 2023, 6:47:37 AM4/6/23
"On a scale of 1 to 2, how entendre is that?" :D

>>> are like automatic
>>>translator machina for spoken LANGUAGE tp "...".
>>
>>I want one that does lip sync. So I dont have to be bothered by them
>>*at all*. :|
>
>What, how would that work?

Well AIUI "..." normally represents a bershon silence. So the
translator unit would mute them and then the lip sync unit would make
them look like theyre not talking at all.

Its an ideal synergy.

auuV

Apr 8, 2023, 8:33:14 PM4/8/23
Just had another one. Allinsons, pease pudding, cup of water.

>>>Understandable. They might need to repopulate the earth, and we wouldnt
>>>want to raise the ugly spectre of eugenics by saving any smart people!
>>
>>Philip K Dick should be getting massive ROYALTIES, wherever he is now,
>>from various Realities, for Harrison Bergeron and derivative works.
>
>And Arthur C Clarke. It currently looks like HAL 9000 will be for
>realsies only about 30 years after the fictional timeline. Thats pretty
>impressive. Particularly since it seemed further away than ever in
>2001.

A very good point. Props and ROYALTIES to Arthur C Clarke.
Message has been deleted

auuV

Apr 9, 2023, 8:09:09 PM4/9/23
Entendre Is the Night. No wonder F Scott Fitzgerald got bogged down
trying to get that novel out of his system.

>>>I want one that does lip sync. So I dont have to be bothered by them
>>>*at all*. :|
>>
>>What, how would that work?
>
>Well AIUI "..." normally represents a bershon silence. So the
>translator unit would mute them and then the lip sync unit would make
>them look like theyre not talking at all.

Im trying to picture it. OK. Got it. Nifty!

>Its an ideal synergy.

E!

nob...@nowhere.com

Dec 20, 2023, 8:06:09 PM12/20/23
On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 11:58:28 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>Its that wistful time of year again.

It certainly is. :|

>43. 0x2B. '+', if you prefer to skim the other side of the hex dump.

44, 0x2C and ',' respectively.

>All that stuff mattered a lot more when hacking 8 bit code back in the
>1970s.

I always assumed that retrocomputing would appeal only to a tiny and
ever dwindling subset of elderly nerds. But apparently that is not so.
The game of working within tight constraints must exert an appeal that
spans the generations. It is heartening.

auuV

Dec 21, 2023, 8:46:24 AM12/21/23
On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 01:06:29 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 11:58:28 +0000, nob...@nowhere.com wrote:
>
>>Its that wistful time of year again.
>
>It certainly is. :|

Hapey berthday UK101! :)

>>43. 0x2B. '+', if you prefer to skim the other side of the hex dump.
>
>44, 0x2C and ',' respectively.
>
>>All that stuff mattered a lot more when hacking 8 bit code back in the
>>1970s.
>
>I always assumed that retrocomputing would appeal only to a tiny and
>ever dwindling subset of elderly nerds. But apparently that is not so.
>The game of working within tight constraints must exert an appeal that
>spans the generations. It is heartening.

Like music.

:)))
It is loading more messages.