Just a happy guy...

1 view

TDC...@psuvm.psu.edu

Feb 14, 1994, 9:24:01 AM2/14/94
Happy Valentine's Day, world! (Isn't life grand?!?)

TC

Whomever

Feb 14, 1994, 11:54:30 AM2/14/94
TDC...@psuvm.psu.edu wrote:
: Happy Valentine's Day, world! (Isn't life grand?!?)

No, it ain't. What would be 'grand' is if every single couple who plans to
be mushy in public on this day were crammed in a room so the rest of us
wouldn't have to watch it and could live today out normally without puking.
What I really resent about Valentine's Day is that you're telling your SO
that you're only going to treat him/her so nicely because the day mandates
it. Why can't you lavish them with love every day of the year?? I wish every
one of you who thinks this day is sooooo wonderful and is going to be mushy
as hell out in public would think about those of us who don't have anyone
special in our lives and don't want to be reminded of that en mass. I dislike
this day so much that I don't plan to reveal Feb. 14th on my Far Side page-a-
day calendar at all. It still shows the page for the 12/13th and when the 15th
comes I'm going to tear off two pages at once. As far as I'm concerned, Feb.
14th is just another day (and unfortunately this time around it's a Monday..
very bad combination).

A lonely guy.

Christopher Clayton

Feb 14, 1994, 11:58:51 AM2/14/94
<TDC...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

>Happy Valentine's Day, world! (Isn't life grand?!?)

>TC

No.

TDC...@psuvm.psu.edu

Feb 14, 1994, 5:11:48 PM2/14/94
In article <2joac6$p...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu>, pub...@wam.umd.edu (Whomever)
says:

Hey, I don't have an SO, either. But, I don't wallow in self-pity. I think
that a day such as Valentine's Day is a wonderful occurence, because it is one
of the few days of the year that's primary focus is caring for, loving other
people. I have never had a girlfriend. I'm a freshman in college. I've never
even kissed a girl. I'm not bitter, though. I've learned that you can't force
the person you like/love/lust for to feel anything for you, and you shouldn't
upset yourself trying to do that. I know that someday, if it's meant to be,
that I will meet the woman I'm to love more than life itself, and then I will
be completely happy. Until then, however, I'm completely content to be a
single, happy guy. I can wait. Believe me, I know pain and heartache. For
over six years I was in love with my bestfriend's girlfriend. She knew that,
and he knew it, and I knew it. That alone hurt. After some time, I learned
that she had very similar feelings for me. She even kissed me. It was one-
sided. I did not kiss back, for two reasons: 1)Fear I'd screw it up, and 2)
She WASN'T MINE TO KISS. That hurt immensely. I cried for days after that.
That was almost one year ago. It wasn't until one month ago that I got over
her. I found out that I had to live my life to be happy and content, not to
endlessly search for something that I may never have, and then complain about
not having it. I'll admit, I would love to have a girlfriend, someone to hold,
to kiss, to talk to, to be with in silence, to take to dinner, but until then
I'm just OK without her. Just something to think about...

TC

Karen Ronan

Feb 14, 1994, 5:45:59 PM2/14/94
Whomever writes:
>I dislike
>this day so much that I don't plan to reveal Feb. 14th on my Far Side
page-a-
>day calendar at all. It still shows the page for the 12/13th and when
the 15th
>comes I'm going to tear off two pages at once.

Whomever,

(even though you are being rather melodramatic about it)

Have a beautiful Valentine's Day and every other day!

Karen

P.S. It's almost over.

arlene fleming

Feb 14, 1994, 10:42:37 PM2/14/94
TDC...@psuvm.psu.edu wrote:
: Happy Valentine's Day, world! (Isn't life grand?!?)

: TC

it is now...ahh, i spent the day eradicating the massive pile of
laundry that i had accumulated...it had reached new heights in terms
of pile size...eye level!!!!

i am celebrating valentines day because the pile is gone, and the
nice, soft, fresh clothes all sit happily in my drawers and closet
now.

although i am alone, happy valentines day to those out there who have
valentines to share this designated day with.

hugs, and warm wishes,
arlene

Michael Jennings

Feb 20, 1994, 1:03:52 PM2/20/94
In article <2joac6$p...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu> pub...@wam.umd.edu (Whomever) writes:

>No, it ain't. What would be 'grand' is if every single couple who plans to
>be mushy in public on this day were crammed in a room so the rest of us
>wouldn't have to watch it and could live today out normally without puking.

Basically there are two options. One, you can get really pissed off
because you see all these happy couples and you personally are not in one.
Two, you can see all these happy couples and therefore conclude that
happy couples do exist and that therefore is hope for you. The fact that
some people are happy is really a very positive thing. Seeing people
as part of really happy, sweet, in love couples can be nice. (It's
certainly nice to see your friends happy, particularly if you have seen them
unhappy before) The more you try looking at it this way, the easier it gets
to do so. As a minimum, you feel a little better yourself.
I know (do I ever) that it isn't always easy. However, ultimately
there is only one person that can make you happy, and that is you. You may
have had a lousy life. People may have treated you apallingly. You may have
every reason in the world to feel sorry for yourself. If so, I am going
to sympathise. You have every right to feel this way and if you want
to, please do. However, it isn't going to help. The world isn't fair. It
isn't your fault that it isn't, but just the same it isn't. This
means that you either have to learn to live in it, or you can try to change
it so that it is. The second option is much harder than the first.
You can only ever succeed in small ways, and it can be rather frustrating,
but the people I know who have chosen it are the finest people I have
met. They are also some of the happiest. If you choose the first option,
you must remember that the world is full of beauty and beautiful things.
They should be seen, admired and loved. It is also full of violence and
ugliness. However, does the fact that the ugliness exists mean you should
forgo the beauty. Of course not. Does the fact that beauty and ugliness
both exist mean that we would be better off with neither of them.
Not as far as I am concerned. The world _is_ a beautiful place. I am going
to treasure it. If two friends of mine are in love, I am going to treasure
it. If I see a happy couple walking down the street and staring into each
others eyes, I am going to imagine what they are thinking and I am going to
walk on, with a smile. And I am going to treasure that smile.

Michael.

--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics

There are two kinds of people. One kind, you can just tell by looking at
them at what point they congealed into their final selves. Whereas, the
other kind keeps moving, changing...They are fluid. In my opinion, they are
the only people who are still alive. - Gail Godwin

Christopher Clayton

Feb 20, 1994, 4:36:48 PM2/20/94
M.J.Je...@amtp.cam.ac.uk (Michael Jennings) writes:

> I know (do I ever) that it isn't always easy. However, ultimately
>there is only one person that can make you happy, and that is you. You may

I guess that's why they came up with the version of Valentine's Day
for single guys - Palm Sunday. :)

(please no religous flames - I heard this from a Catholic friend of
mine. Flame him when he gets his Internet connection back.)

I know the truth of what Michael is saying - I'm just not in the mood
to hear it right now.

The Clayminator

Tian Fung Lim

Feb 21, 1994, 4:45:23 PM2/21/94
Excerpts from netnews.alt.romance: 20-Feb-94 Re: Just a happy guy... by
Michael Jenn...@amtp.ca
> The world isn't fair. It
> isn't your fault that it isn't, but just the same it isn't. This
> means that you either have to learn to live in it, or you can try to change
> it so that it is. The second option is much harder than the first.

Are you the sort of person who would put off changing oneself before
blaming the world? Obviously not since you don't seem to have the need
to do either at the moment...*mutter* bloody happy people :P

The world sucks and you can't change it or the people on it. I think
changing oneself is more important, and that's (philosophically) harder
than changing the world.

Excerpts from netnews.alt.romance: 20-Feb-94 Re: Just a happy guy... by
Michael Jenn...@amtp.ca

> The world _is_ a beautiful place. I am going
> to treasure it. If two friends of mine are in love, I am going to treasure
> it. If I see a happy couple walking down the street and staring into each
> others eyes, I am going to imagine what they are thinking and I am going to
> walk on, with a smile. And I am going to treasure that smile.

Can't stand these bloody optimists... :)

Tian

Tian Lim Math/CS Carnegie Mellon University
tl...@andrew.cmu.edu

Quote #235 : It is better for civilization to go down the drain than to
come up it. -- Allen