Previous Unreleased Home Movie 26 Minutes of Altamont Concert Released.

Gregory Carr

Jan 11, 2022, 12:59:08 AM1/11/22
Previously unreleased footage from the 1969 Altamont Speedway Free Festival has been released by the Library of Congress.

The concert holds a notorious place in history. More than 300,000 people turned out to see a lineup that initially included Jefferson Airplane, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, the Grateful Dead and headliners, the Rolling Stones.

Logistical problems started even before the fest began, with basic necessities like toilets and medical tents overlooked. The Stones enlisted members of the Hells Angels biker gang to aid with security, which proved to be a disastrous choice. Violence erupted during the Rolling Stones’ set, with audience members rushing the stage. One concert goer, an 18-year-old named Meredith Hunter, went to pull out a gun, and was stabbed to death by one of the Hells Angels.

Altamont was famously captured in the documentary Gimme Shelter -- directed by Albert and David Maysles and Charlotte Zwerin -- but the newly uncovered footage comes courtesy of a home movie shot during the festival.

The 26-minute silent video, which can be watched below, shows the Stones and other various artists performing and interacting with the crowd. The footage was part of a 200,000-reel collection acquired by the Library of Congress from archivist Rick Prelinger in 2002

“A technician working on the Prelinger Collection came across two reels of silent 8mm reversal positive—a common home movie format. The handwritten note on the film leader read ‘Stones in the Park,’ so that was the title he gave it for our inventory,” noted Mike Mashon, head of the Library’s Moving Image Section. Initially, Mashon believed the footage may be from the Stones’ 1969 performance in Hyde Park, however further examination revealed its true origin.

“I sent the reels up for 2K digitization by our film preservation laboratory,” he explained. “A couple of days later, I heard from some very excited colleagues that the scan wasn’t the Hyde Park show. It was from the Altamont Speedway concert in California and it definitely wasn’t footage from the 1970 documentary. Many people know the Gimme Shelter documentary pretty well, but there’s a lot more in this home movie.”

According to Mashon, the footage "captures some of chaos" that erupted during the Stones' set, but "doesn’t add anything to our understanding of the death of Meredith Hunter at the hands of a member of the Hell’s Angels."

Still, the video has plenty to offer. In addition to the Rolling Stones' set, the footage includes performances by Carlos Santana and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (neither of which were included in Gimme Shelter), as well as Gram Parsons fronting the Flying Burrito Brothers.

Music's Worst Concert Accidents and Tragedies
The possibility for danger always lurks whenever large groups of people get together, and that's especially true at concerts and festivals.
Gallery Credit: UCR Staff

Hulton Archive, Getty Images

The Rolling Stones at Altamont
When the Rolling Stones headlined a free festival at Altamont on Dec. 6, 1969, it was supposed to be a celebratory wrap-up for their successful U.S. tour. In retrospect, hiring members of the Hells Angels as security was a deadly mistake. Fighting in the crowd led to injuries and one audience member was killed after a scuffle with a member of the motorcycle club.
ukrockfestivals.com

The Who in Cincinnati
On Dec. 3, 1979, 11 people were killed when an impatient crowd of 8,000 fans, who had been waiting outside for hours for a show by The Who, turned into a panicked stampede upon being allowed into the venue. The band were not told of the deaths until after the show, and they were collectively heartbroken. Roger Daltrey wanted to cancel the rest of the tour, but Pete Townshend urged the group to push forward, saying that “if we don't play tomorrow, we'll never play again.”
YouTube

Metallica and Guns 'N' Roses in Montreal
After Metallica was forced to cut their half of a co-headlining concert with Guns 'N' Roses short when frontman James Hetfield was severely burned in an incident with pyrotechnics, Axl Rose further disappointed the audience by showing up late and then leaving an hour into the set due to reported vocal issues. The crowd of over 50,000 people began rioting, smashing stadium windows and setting fires. The incidents on Aug. 8, 1992 caused area police to chase the rioters through the streets, eventually using tear gas to regain control.

Frank Micelotta, Getty Images

Woodstock '99
Hot temperatures, long lines for expensive water and general poor planning allowed destruction and violence to run rampant as Woodstock '99 was held on July 23-25, 1999. In the end, the event retained very little of the free-spirited peace and love vibes of the original Woodstock festival. Limp Bizkit's set saw fans tearing apart the walls erected to prevent gate-crashers and several rapes were reported. The next night, a bonfire was lit during the Red Hot Chili Peppers' closing slot.
Troy Augusto, Getty Images

Pearl Jam at the Roskilde Festival
Tragic events during Pearl Jam's set at the Roskilde Festival on June 30, 2000, in Denmark left nine people dead, many of them killed as fans rushed the stage. The always safety-conscious Pearl Jam stopped the show as soon as they learned of the events, but it was already too late. The band have stayed in touch with the families of the victims, referencing the lost in the lyrics of 'Love Boat Captain': “Nine friends we'll never know...two years ago today.”
CNN via Getty Images

The Great White Fire
One of the most preventable tragedies in recent rock history happened on Feb. 20, 2003, when pyrotechnics ignited soundproof insulation, causing a fire that killed 100 people at a Great White concert in West Warwick, R.I., including the band's guitarist, Ty Longley. More than 200 additional concert goers suffered smoke inhalation, burns and other injuries. Great White tour manager Daniel Biechele was sentenced to 10 years for involuntary manslaughter, and eventually paroled in 2008. The club ownership faced additional criminal charges, and the band, particularly lead singer Jack Russell, were deeply affected by the horrific events of that night.
Scott Gries, Getty Images

Dimebag Darrell Killed Onstage
A fan with a history of mental illness named Nathan Gale climbed on stage and shot former Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell multiple times in the head during a concert on Dec. 8, 2004 in Columbus, Ohio by his new band, Damageplan. Three others were killed before Gale was brought down by a police officer's gunshot.
Getty Images

Love Parade
More than 500 people were injured and 21 people died on July 24, 2010 at an annual electronic music festival in Duisberg, Germany, which drew more than 1 million people to an area that had capacity for roughly 250,000. Passage to the area was mainly through tunnels which quickly became overcrowded with people trying to get to the show. Even though the tunnels were eventually closed, it did little to quell the deadly issues with capacity. As a result of the these tragedies, all future Love Parade events have been canceled.
Joey Foley, Getty Images

The 2011 Indiana State Fair
Seven people died as a result of a weather-induced collapse of the stage prior to Sugarland's scheduled performance on Aug. 13, 2011 at the Indiana State Fair. Sugarland themselves were “stunned and heartbroken” by the events, calling them “tragic” and saying that there were “no words” to describe what had happened. State fairs and other similar events of a temporary nature are currently under intense pressure to put new safety measures in place in the future.
Mark Renders, Getty Images

Pukkelpop Music Festival in Belgium
Severe storms in Belgium caused multiple stages to collapse on Aug. 18, 2011 at the Pukkelpop Festival, where a diverse lineup of acts were scheduled to perform, including the Offspring and the Foo Fighters. After the weather-related events left four people dead, the remainder of the festival was canceled. Local officials said that the intensity of the weather had not been predicted by local meteorologists, calling the storm “unprecedented” in comparison to previous tropical weather events.
Sean Gallup, Getty Images

Paris Concert Terrorist Attack
On Nov. 13, 2015, terrorists attacked a busy Paris nightlife scene, which left more than 100 people dead and many more injured. A concert by Eagles of Death Metal was hit the hardest, where more than 80 people were killed by the terrorists. Authorities had the situation under control within hours, but the tragedy marked one of the deadliest attacks on the Western world since 9/11.
Jeff J Mitchell, Getty Images

Manchester Arena Terrorist Bombing
A terrorist attack at a May 22, 2017 concert by pop star Ariana Grande in Manchester, U.K., took the lives of more than 20 people – a number of whom were children. An additional 59 people were injured, some gravely. The suicide nail-bombing, which happened as concertgoers left following the show, was the deadliest terror attack on British soil since the 2005 London bombings.

Ethan Miller, Getty Images

Las Vegas Music Festival Mass Shooting
At least 50 people were killed and hundreds more injured when a lone gunman opened fire on the crowd at a country music festival in Las Vegas, Nevada on Oct. 1, 2017.
Ferdi Awed, Getty Images

Indonesian Tsunami
The tsunami that struck Indonesia in December 2018 killed Muhammad Awal Purbani, the bassist for Seventeen, and their road manager, Oki Wijaya. The band's guitarist, drummer, the lead singer's wife and another member of their crew were among the more than 800 people who were reported missing.

Read More: See Previously Unreleased Footage of Rolling Stones at Altamont | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-altamont-previously-unreleased-footage/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral has the link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwxcKLN_yrE Bull Island concert was pretty bad also.

David Dalton

Jan 11, 2022, 8:59:29 PM1/11/22
Did Ronnie Wood get together with Melinda Gates yet? :-)

“‘And if I shed a tear I won’t cage it/I won’t fear love
And if I feel a rage I won’t deny it/I won’t fear love" (Sarah McLachlan)

Gregory Carr

Jan 12, 2022, 7:48:17 PM1/12/22
Dude you are so useless you can't get a job as a cashier or tool monkey. Your comments about the Bible are utter lies and drivel. Why don't you cast a spell for a free cup of coffee for your lame self?

David Dalton Is A Weirdo Who Lives Off Newfoundland Taxpayers A FORMER Research Assistant At Memorial University. He Is Bipolar And Believes In Casting Spells To Cure Covid And ESP And Telepaths And Communicating With Plants. https://groups.google.com/g/van.general/c/L9oft7WbmM4/m/XtbGtYK9DAAJ never been to a Rolling Stones concert.

David Dalton

Jan 12, 2022, 8:29:13 PM1/12/22
On Jan 12, 2022, Gregory Carr wrote
(in article<f64e334d-79b9-4937...@googlegroups.com>):

> On Tuesday, 11 January 2022 at 17:59:29 UTC-8, David Dalton wrote:
> > Did Ronnie Wood get together with Melinda Gates yet? :-)
>
> Dude you are so useless you can't get a job as a cashier or tool monkey.

From a google of cost of matchmaking:

"Realize that you may not meet your match through a service.
Cox of the Better Business Bureau noted that the average cost
per person to use a matchmaking service is $5,000 — and
some people spend as much as $10,000. Jul 15, 2009”

Gregory Carr

Jan 14, 2022, 9:38:31 AM1/14/22
Hey pedophile you have cast hundreds of spells yet you don't have a bed partner. You are stupid a self admitted weirdo and bipolar. Get a job get a 3 hole the spells you cast are evil in intent and a complete failure.