Oric Bovar

Steve Willis

Mar 1, 2003, 10:25:47 AM3/1/03
OK, here's the scoop on the early years of "Oric Bovar," the man who
thought he was Jesus and tried to bring a dead Macedonian back to life
in his New York apartment. This answer is in response to the
following:

From: Californiajam1 (califor...@aol.com)
Subject: Ever hear of Oric Bovar?
Date: 2002-10-20 22:14:02 PST

--I don't know why. I just remember this guy named Oric Bovar who lept
to his
death from his apartment window on West End Avenue in New York City.

Supposedly there's this really strange thing going on with his name,
even,
"Oric Bovar." Can anyone decipher?--

This is from "The Life and Death of Oric Bovar" by Lawrence Madden, a
chapter in a book entitled, "The World's Weirdest Cults" edited by
Martin Ebon. New York, N.Y. : New American Library, c1979.

"Oric Bovar, according to the American passport he carried, was born
Richard Deane, about 1918. According to his closest disciples, he was
born somewhere in the Midwest and had come to New York seeking an
acting career. He had a few Hollywood roles and a few bit parts on
Broadway, but ultimately he failed. According to Tod Jackson, a writer
and one of his chief lieutenants, 'He had an intense ego that was not
satisified by his life or his career.'"

"It is not known why he changed his name to Rico Bravo, which he later
turned into the anagram of Oric Bovar ..."

See if you can track down this book for more info on Bovar. I use
Bovar as sort of an information benchmark to see just how far into
obscurity the Internet will reach for historical research. It still
has a long way to go and books still beat online sources for the
really juicy stuff.

Last time I looked, Richard Deane was listed in the IMDb, but with
little info.

SW

Neil Colepsy

Mar 1, 2003, 12:18:19 PM3/1/03

"Steve Willis" <ste...@olynet.com> wrote in message

Whachoo talkin bout Willis?

Californiajam1

Mar 1, 2003, 1:29:26 PM3/1/03
>Subject: Oric Bovar
>From: ste...@olynet.com (Steve Willis)
>Date: 3/1/03 10:25 AM Eastern Standard Time

Ok, great Steve! Thanks for "digging up" this old post of mine. I've never seen
a PHOTO of the old chap.

Do you have a photo of Oric?

Thanks again!

Scott
King of the Newgroups

Californiajam1

Mar 1, 2003, 1:31:13 PM3/1/03
>Subject: Re: Oric Bovar
>From: "Neil Colepsy" neilc...@yahooa.com
>Date: 3/1/03 12:18 PM Eastern Standard Time

>Whachoo talkin bout Willis

Hey Neil can you read? He's and we're taking about Oric Bovar. Former
astrologist to the Stars like Bernadette Peters etc.

Scott
King of the Newsgroups

Steve Willis

Mar 1, 2003, 7:37:43 PM3/1/03
No photo of "Oric" is included with the book, but in the 1970s he
apparently went through a major physical change, about the same time
he went from being a simple eccentric to having full blown delusions
about being God's gift to humankind. According to the book:

"In physical appearance he had changed from an overweight man with
bloated features and blond to reddish hair to a slim, white-haired
man."

Given the rise of televangelists during the Reagan era, "Bovar"
could've cashed in like the rest of them had he played his showbiz
connections right. But now he remains an obscure footnote in the
annals of the weird. But any history of America in the 1970s should
include his story.

Best, SW

Steve Willis

Mar 1, 2003, 9:30:49 PM3/1/03
A few more tidbits--

"World's Weirdest Cults" is available on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0451087674/qid%3D1046566576/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-0830542-1449511

Richard Deane's IMDb entry (which, oddly enough, has no mention of his
"Bovar" charade):

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Deane,%20Richard

Looks like "Swamp Woman" (1941) was his biggest role.

SW

jmsim...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2014, 3:04:30 AM11/23/14
I grew up knowing "oric". I was a child follower. I know that after he died 3 other people took his place as Jesus Christ and movrd us "followers" to Hollywood where the "energy" was greater. I baby sat for Bill Law. He was mentioned in another article

alineho...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2016, 7:29:09 PM8/18/16
Richard Deane was not his name from birth. His last name was Bench. He was the brother of my great grandfather. I had heard the story but didn't know it was in NYC that this happened.

patrici...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2017, 7:54:23 PM1/17/17
On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 4:29:09 PM UTC-7, alineho...@gmail.com wrote:
> Richard Deane was not his name from birth. His last name was Bench. He was the brother of my great grandfather. I had heard the story but didn't know it was in NYC that this happened.

I had a reading done on myself in 1972 by Oric Bovar. He was living in Italy at the time and I have friends that had readings done by him a said he was amazing. I just brought that 10 page reading out of storage and have been reading it. He was spot on about everything in my life to date. Could this be the same person that everyone of you are talking about? He asked me for my birth date and time and as I read what he wrote me 45 years ago...my mind is blown as it's close to the the story of my life.

crbot...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2017, 3:02:46 PM2/7/17
Hey all,
Currently working on a piece about this Oric - would be interested in contacting any members who were active during and after his death.
Let me know if you might be interested in talking to me!

amist...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2018, 11:35:16 AM1/29/18
Is there anyone who knows Andrew Patrick or Tira? I’m trying to get someone to help me. I knew them for 28 years. Andrew still lives in Sherman Oaks. Patrick died of cancer. Thank you

amist...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2018, 11:38:19 AM1/29/18
I’d be very interested in speaking with you. The group is still going with Andrew green as the last Christ. They all
Live in Sherman oaks.

amist...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2018, 12:38:25 PM1/29/18
Amist...@gmail.com
I was married in this group. Was forced to marry. Please contact me if anyone can help with their story

artcinco

Feb 7, 2018, 6:31:51 PM2/7/18
On Jan 29, 2018, amist...@gmail.com wrote
(in article<2bc9240d-1202-4f30...@googlegroups.com>):

> Is there anyone who knows Andrew Patrick or Tira? I’m trying to get someone
> to help me. I knew them for 28 years. Andrew still lives in Sherman Oaks.
> Patrick died of cancer. Thank you

Sorry for your loss. I do not know any of those people.

Carson Miles

Mar 14, 2021, 10:32:21 AM3/14/21
I joined the group in 1980 in Hollywood.and was apart of "The Work" until the group split in January 1982.The group split and people had to choose between staying with Patrick and Andrew or going with Taira. I was part of the Theater of Light in Hollywood.