Keep ZRock on the air!!!

Nick Runyon

Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96
to Don Bojczuk

Don Bojczuk wrote:

> You've heard rumors about ZRock going off the air at the end of 1996?
> Well it's true, ZRock will go dark on 12/31/96 and take about 20
> affiliates with them. The end of an era of a truly great hard rock
> superstation.
>
> I'm still hoping they will reconsider and stay on the air. I've talked
> to hundreds of ZRock fans all over the U.S. and Canada who feel the
> same way as I do. If you love the great music and the best crew of
> on-air personalities (Dave Bolt, Ward Cleaver, Crankin' Craig and all
> the rest) then get in touch with Satellite Music Networks in Dallas,
> Texas and tell them you want ZRock to stay on the air. If you want the
> address of SMN, drop me a line and I'll be happy to give it to you!
>
> ZRock has turned to more of an alternative format in the last little
> while but there is no doubt about it that they've changed with the
> times. They still play a lot of good hard rock bands like Metallica,
> Sound Garden, Megadeth and Tool. Although there are only about 20
> ZRock affiliates left, there is always a chance for expansion if the
> hard rock and heavy metal formats come around and become mainstream
> once again. There is a lot of interest in metal, just look at the
> "HardRadio" web page- one of the most popular realaudio sites on the
> WWW.
>
> So if you want to see ZRock stay alive do your part and write to
> ABC/SMN and let's give it a try, to keep ZRock rockin' on the
> airwaves!
>
> Don B.

I live in DFW, TX and I've never heard of ZRock.. could you further
explain (elaborate) please?

Later

Nick

Don Bojczuk

Nov 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/14/96

Todd Ginapp

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

I love ZRock and Austin/Dallas Texas lost it. Where do we write and
who do we write it to??

tgi...@vvm.com

HATE

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Sorry about my previous post. I didnt catch the end of the original "Keep
ZRock on the air!!!" post that explained what ZRock was up to these days.

HATE <n...@way.com> wrote in article <01bbd770$7b5caa00$662c2299@default>...
> I thought ZRock (the metal station) went off the air years ago. I heard
it
> switched formats to classic rock. If its still metal I will support
> keeping the station on the air. But if what I have heard is true about
the
> station now being classic rock....well I could care less about another
dime
> a dozen classic rock station. Give us a little more info on what the deal
> is these days with ZRock.

HATE

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

I thought ZRock (the metal station) went off the air years ago. I heard it
switched formats to classic rock. If its still metal I will support
keeping the station on the air. But if what I have heard is true about the
station now being classic rock....well I could care less about another dime
a dozen classic rock station. Give us a little more info on what the deal
is these days with ZRock.

Don Bojczuk <dboj...@dlcwest.com> wrote in article
<328b969...@news.firstnations.ca>...

E Patterson

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

In article <01bbd771$bd78afa0$662c2299@default>, "HATE" <n...@way.com> wrote:
>Sorry about my previous post. I didnt catch the end of the original "Keep
>ZRock on the air!!!" post that explained what ZRock was up to these days.

Well what they're up to these days is selling out and playing all the
Alternative crap that all the lemmings like. That's what the Detroit station
is doing anyways. It used to be you turned on Z Rock and got Priest or
Metallica, now all you get is PJ, Nirvanna and the only Metallica is Hero of
the Day (not a horrible song but they have others). In their defense they
still have "The Mighty Met" but the show's only a half hour and on at 11 on
Sundays.

"A Canadian, what's that?"
"It's sorta like an American; but without the gun." -Dave Folley

Eric Patterson
(ekpa...@science.watstar.uwaterloo.ca)

Neil Alphonso

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

}ZRock has turned to more of an alternative format in the last little
}while but there is no doubt about it that they've changed with the
}times. They still play a lot of good hard rock bands like Metallica,
}Sound Garden, Megadeth and Tool. Although there are only about 20
}ZRock affiliates left, there is always a chance for expansion if the
}hard rock and heavy metal formats come around and become mainstream
}once again. There is a lot of interest in metal, just look at the
}"HardRadio" web page- one of the most popular realaudio sites on the
}WWW.

I've been in Columbus a couple of years ago when it was lost there, and we just
recently lost it here in Austin. I really don't care anymore, because they now
have NOTHING to do with metal. Sure, they used to have Mandatory Metallica and
used to play metal, but that was then. As soon as they started playing Sheryl
Crow and Melissa Etheridge and REM I knew it was over.

I called in once about a year ago during US 240 to request Peace Sells, but the
DJ said they couldn't play it. He then went on to say that the station's going
to hell, and unless it's some Alanis Morisette or warm and fuzzy music they
can't play it. He said no Metallica, no White Zombie, and no Marylin Manson. He
then went on bitching, and even mentioned he's looking for another job at a real
metal station!

Z-Rock was once the greatest station in the nation, but now it's not even worth
saving.

eXe
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/exedore/

"Life is pain your highness, anyone who tells you different is selling you something."

Samael

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

Equimanthorn Hear My Hail!!

HATE <n...@way.com> wrote in article <01bbd770$7b5caa00$662c2299@default>...

In March of 1995 Z-rock affiliate 106.9 was no longer aired in Houston,
Texas anymore. 106.9 became a Christian music station instead!!??!! It
sucked!!

servo...@aol.com

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

Z-Rock in Detroit, 102.7 WDZR, isn't Z-Rock anymore either, as of 12:00
AM, 11-25-96. Its WWBR-The Bear!!??!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
(sounds of banging head on the table)

"Hey, It's Ronald McDonald shakin' his mcbooty!" - Tom Servo

Steve Roberts
MSTie #57977

Don Bojczuk

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996 03:23:25 GMT, exe...@mail.utexas.edu (Neil
Alphonso) wrote:

>I've been in Columbus a couple of years ago when it was lost there, and we just
>recently lost it here in Austin. I really don't care anymore, because they now
>have NOTHING to do with metal. Sure, they used to have Mandatory Metallica and
>used to play metal, but that was then. As soon as they started playing Sheryl
>Crow and Melissa Etheridge and REM I knew it was over.

Let's get the facts straight, ZRock has never played REM, Crow or
Etheredge, in fact if you listened regularly you would know that the
ZRock on-air personalities have "blown up" REM, Madonna and other pop
artists records on the air. Take a look at the ZRock 50 this week-
every artist is either a rock or alternative artist. No exceptions!

>I called in once about a year ago during US 240 to request Peace Sells, but the
>DJ said they couldn't play it. He then went on to say that the station's going
>to hell, and unless it's some Alanis Morisette or warm and fuzzy music they
>can't play it. He said no Metallica, no White Zombie, and no Marylin Manson. He
>then went on bitching, and even mentioned he's looking for another job at a real
>metal station!

True, ZRock no longer plays 80's pop-metal but has changed with the
times. Again the above statement does not hold an ounce of truth. A
couple of great songs in regular rotation on ZRock are Manson's "the
Beautiful People" and Zombie's "I'm your Boogieman". They can't play
peace sells because they have changed format and changed with the
times. On the last ZRock 50 it was nice to hear 2 Metallica songs back
to back "Until It Sleeps" and "Ain't My Bitch". You would not find
another radio station in the nation that would play a double shot of
Metallica.

>Z-Rock was once the greatest station in the nation, but now it's not even worth
>saving.

If you truly listened to ZRock you would know that it's still the best
station on the airwaves. The best personalities and great music. I
love all the music they play. "Extreme Radio" in Las Vegas is another
great radio station that plays music similar to ZRock. It's a shame
that their signal is not nationwide.

On a recent trip to Chico, Calif. I listened to the ZRock affiliate
for about an hour and heard the best set of music that's been on radio
all year. Some of the songs they played:

SoundGarden- Blow Up the Outside World
Metallica- Ain't My Bitch
Tool- Track 1
Rage Against the Machine- Down Rodeo
Marilyn Manson- The Beautiful People
Nirvana- ANEURYSM
311-Down
Temple of the Dog- Hunger Strike
Stone Temple Pilots-Trippin' On A Hole

Nope, no REM, no Sheryl Crow. Just good hard rockin' music in the
ZRock tradition. And Dave Bolt was as entertaining and funny as ever!
LONG LIVE ZRock!

Don

Jason Barker

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Don Bojczuk wrote:

> times. On the last ZRock 50 it was nice to hear 2 Metallica songs back
> to back "Until It Sleeps" and "Ain't My Bitch". You would not find
> another radio station in the nation that would play a double shot of
> Metallica.

Actually there is an alternative radio station here in Seattle (107.7 The
End) which plays two shot tuesdays. They regularly play 2 shots of
Metallica on those days, along with double shots of REM, Presidents of the
USA, Nirvana, Hole and other "alternative" bands.

jason

Samael

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

Equimanthorn Hear My Hail!!

Don Bojczuk <dboj...@dlcwest.com> wrote in article
<329a12bd...@news.firstnations.ca>...

> times. On the last ZRock 50 it was nice to hear 2 Metallica songs back
> to back "Until It Sleeps" and "Ain't My Bitch". You would not find
> another radio station in the nation that would play a double shot of
> Metallica.
>

> >Z-Rock was once the greatest station in the nation, but now it's not
even worth
> >saving.
>
> If you truly listened to ZRock you would know that it's still the best
> station on the airwaves. The best personalities and great music. I
> love all the music they play. "Extreme Radio" in Las Vegas is another
> great radio station that plays music similar to ZRock. It's a shame
> that their signal is not nationwide.
>
> On a recent trip to Chico, Calif. I listened to the ZRock affiliate
> for about an hour and heard the best set of music that's been on radio
> all year. Some of the songs they played:
>
> SoundGarden- Blow Up the Outside World
> Metallica- Ain't My Bitch
> Tool- Track 1
> Rage Against the Machine- Down Rodeo
> Marilyn Manson- The Beautiful People
> Nirvana- ANEURYSM
> 311-Down
> Temple of the Dog- Hunger Strike
> Stone Temple Pilots-Trippin' On A Hole
>
> Nope, no REM, no Sheryl Crow. Just good hard rockin' music in the
> ZRock tradition. And Dave Bolt was as entertaining and funny as ever!
> LONG LIVE ZRock!
>
> Don

When Z-ROCK was still broadcast in Houston, Texas they were great!
Everything was metal and hard rock!! At 2 o'clock in the afternoon you'd
hear them play "The Four Horsemen" or "Disposable Heroes". Mighty Met was
even better b/c they would ALWAYS play anything by Metallica-KEA, RTL,
MOP,GDRR, AJFA, TBA, even the cover songs like 'Breadfan' and 'The Prince',
live songs, etc. Then on Sunday Nights they had a segment called "Wounded
Radio" where they would play a lot of the less "radio friendly" metal like
Slayer, Sepultura, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Decide. Yeah they'd play shit
like soundgarden,STP, or PJ, but then they'd play some old Ozzy, or old
Maiden. It was tragic when they took it off the air in Houston; and if they
are changing their format to rock....then I wish they'd remove the name
z-rock because I don't want that name associated with Horissette and Crow
or REM

Don Bojczuk

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

On 25 Nov 1996 20:29:21 GMT, servo...@aol.com wrote:

>Z-Rock in Detroit, 102.7 WDZR, isn't Z-Rock anymore either, as of 12:00
>AM, 11-25-96. Its WWBR-The Bear!!??!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
>(sounds of banging head on the table)

I'm in shock! WDZR was a kick-ass station and one of the best in
Detroit! I'm telling you, you've got to stand up to these guys or the
good radio we are used of listening to is going to go into the toilet.
I guarantee if the "Bear" has no ratings, they won't be around for
long. D-day for the rest of the ZRock affiliates is 12/31/96.

I understood that if ZRock was going to stick around in 1997, they
were planning on going back to a harder format (GnR, Megadeth,
Ozzy, ACDC, Biohazard) and all the good stuff we love. They planned to
bring the live concerts back and had Jackyl planned for this New
Year's eve. Plus some of the guest hosts planned for the morning show
were Slash, Sammy Hagar and Steven Tyler. It's a shame that we are
going to miss out on all of this great radio!!!

I still recommend you write or fax Satellite Music Networks and tell
them to keep ZRock on the air. If they get enough mail, you never
know... maybe they will change their mind. But remember there is not
much time left- only about a month till they shut off their
transmitter for good. Take a minute to write:

Satellite Music Network (ZRock)
12655 North Central Expressway, Suite 600
Dallas, Texas
75243

fax line: 1-214-991-1071
phone: 1-214-991-9200
request line: 1-800-944-ROCK

I hope the "Bear" goes away and hibernates, long live ZRock!!!

Neil Alphonso

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

}Let's get the facts straight, ZRock has never played REM, Crow or
}Etheredge, in fact if you listened regularly you would know that the
}ZRock on-air personalities have "blown up" REM, Madonna and other pop
}artists records on the air. Take a look at the ZRock 50 this week-
}every artist is either a rock or alternative artist. No exceptions!
}
Hm. It might have just been the switching of the Austin station then. But in any
case, they played said shit, slapped the Z-Rock logo on the station and went on
their merry fucking way.
Okay, did the national Z-Rock start playing alterna-rock like Rage, Beasties,
Cranberries, Garbage and the like? I got it here. Bottom line is at least the
Cranberries and Garbage would never have gotten airplay, even though I don't
mind those groups. When they started playing old Violent Femmes and more Jane's
Addiction, it was obvious they were trying to go more alternative. And I just
got soooo damn sick of hearing Alanis.

}True, ZRock no longer plays 80's pop-metal but has changed with the
}times. Again the above statement does not hold an ounce of truth. A
}couple of great songs in regular rotation on ZRock are Manson's "the
}Beautiful People" and Zombie's "I'm your Boogieman". They can't play
}peace sells because they have changed format and changed with the
}times. On the last ZRock 50 it was nice to hear 2 Metallica songs back
}to back "Until It Sleeps" and "Ain't My Bitch". You would not find
}another radio station in the nation that would play a double shot of
}Metallica.
}

Doesn't hold an ounce of truth? This really happened. I did talk to the DJ doing
US 240 and he did say that. I take it you took him literally, where as I'm sure
he just meant heavier music can't make the air due to the newer format.

}If you truly listened to ZRock you would know that it's still the best
}station on the airwaves. The best personalities and great music. I
}love all the music they play. "Extreme Radio" in Las Vegas is another
}great radio station that plays music similar to ZRock. It's a shame
}that their signal is not nationwide.
}

The radio used to be on twenty-four seven. I've listened to Z-Rock for four
years in three different cities, and I used to think it was the best.

}On a recent trip to Chico, Calif. I listened to the ZRock affiliate
}for about an hour and heard the best set of music that's been on radio
}all year. Some of the songs they played:
}
}SoundGarden- Blow Up the Outside World
}Metallica- Ain't My Bitch
}Tool- Track 1
}Rage Against the Machine- Down Rodeo
}Marilyn Manson- The Beautiful People
}Nirvana- ANEURYSM
}311-Down
}Temple of the Dog- Hunger Strike
}Stone Temple Pilots-Trippin' On A Hole
}
}Nope, no REM, no Sheryl Crow. Just good hard rockin' music in the
}ZRock tradition. And Dave Bolt was as entertaining and funny as ever!
}LONG LIVE ZRock!

I'll admit that's good, but it can't touch what Z-Rock used to be. I used to
compare radio station's sets all the time and Z-Rock always won out, but that
was a long time ago.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Z-Rock is alright, given the other options.
But in light of once being truly the greatest station in the nation, it
certainly isn't anything like it used to be.

Neil Alphonso

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

}Let's get the facts straight, ZRock has never played REM, Crow or
}Etheredge, in fact if you listened regularly you would know that the
}ZRock on-air personalities have "blown up" REM, Madonna and other pop
}artists records on the air. Take a look at the ZRock 50 this week-
}every artist is either a rock or alternative artist. No exceptions!

I took a look at the damn 50. It's the best illustration why they should pull
the plug. They call Cake, Eels, Counting Crows, Phish, No Doubt, Poe, Better
Than Ezra, and Local H Z-rock? They fucking sold out, period.

Lily Blais

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

I'm from windsor ontario and for those who don't know it is in
canada and is right across the river from Detriot Michigan. May Zrock
Rest In Peace. :( it will no longer exist as of dec 31 1996. but lucky
for us her in the detriot zrock broadcastin area, Ted Nugent bought the
station and is now called 102.7 The Bear. Thank god the format did not
change, (much) and the amazing DJ's there did not get fired either.
They still play all the good shit they used (with for some reason more
Ted Nugent .... hmmmmm..... i wonder why). Zrock was a great station.
but the thing was it was a "market" satilite broadcasting network,
which was for the most part was a money maker. it was the first to
introduce the "modern rock" format and here in windsor /detroit 89X,
WRIF copied that and actually did really good. But the guy who started
tall the Zrock (who also had a hand in WRIF and many other stations in
the US/canada area) did not want to keep Zrock running because it was
too much work for him. Now what i dont understand is this guy is a
million heir and could have hired someone to do his "hard" work for him.
I will miss Zrock as will many other faithfull listeners but somethings
have to change. so lets not dwell on the past. (easy for me to say we
have 102.7 The Bear now) ha ha ha. but if you were a listener of the old
zrock here in windsor/detroit area give the bear a chance. all the DJ's
are still there and they do still play good music. just because some of
it is older doesnt mean it sux. think about it... all the music now was
inspired by one of those older bands. and besides The Bear still plays
metallica and soundgarden and lots of other good NEW stuff. so dont
stop listining to it just because the name changed from ZROCK to The
Bear.

Rob Blais
star...@mnsi.net
email me if ya want to argue or agree.... i dont mind argueing it lets
people see different points of view if the person is not a narrow minded
son of a bitch. hey i just rememberd alice cooper (a great "old"
band ) is gonna be playing at the Jos with Ted Nugent for the Newyears
eve Whip lash bash

servo...@aol.com

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

A word about ZRock to the Bear in Detroit.

The last song as Z-Rock "Fade to Black" (I almost cried.)

The first song as the Bear (some shit by the Hunger, i dont know the
title)

Nuff Said.

\

Don Bojczuk

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

On 2 Dec 1996 19:44:10 GMT, servo...@aol.com wrote:

>A word about ZRock to the Bear in Detroit.
>
>The last song as Z-Rock "Fade to Black" (I almost cried.)
>
>The first song as the Bear (some shit by the Hunger, i dont know the
>title)

Radio in the U.S. gets a little crappier every time they shut down
another ZRock affiliate. Detroit radio will never be the same without
the mighty "Z". R.I.P. ZRock.......................................

Edward R Domowitch

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

We lost Z-ROCK in Wilkes-Barre, Pa about 4 months ago. Nothing has
been the same since. I now have a choice of rap and oldies. It sucks.
The only half decent station around here now is 98 rock, but it is
only a cheap imitation---We need Z-ROCK back.---Ed.D.

On 26 Nov 1996, Samael wrote:

> [...]

> > love all the music they play. "Extreme Radio" in Las Vegas is another
> > great radio station that plays music similar to ZRock. It's a shame
> > that their signal is not nationwide.
> >

> > On a recent trip to Chico, Calif. I listened to the ZRock affiliate
> > for about an hour and heard the best set of music that's been on radio
> > all year. Some of the songs they played:
> >
> > SoundGarden- Blow Up the Outside World
> > Metallica- Ain't My Bitch
> > Tool- Track 1
> > Rage Against the Machine- Down Rodeo
> > Marilyn Manson- The Beautiful People
> > Nirvana- ANEURYSM
> > 311-Down
> > Temple of the Dog- Hunger Strike
> > Stone Temple Pilots-Trippin' On A Hole
> >
> > Nope, no REM, no Sheryl Crow. Just good hard rockin' music in the
> > ZRock tradition. And Dave Bolt was as entertaining and funny as ever!

Dale L. Hartmann

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

-->
I went thru the same emotions when Z-Rock left the air in
Houston, twice ! The first time they left an AM station,
the second time a FM station.

I wrote letters to Z-Rock and called them complaining, and
etc, but you know, it always comes down to money and
advertising support (or lack thereof).

When I go to the San Antonio area, I can pick up this
great independent station called KZDC, on 1250AM.
They're the kind of station Z-Rock used to be back in the
late-80's/early-90's.

I don't listen to the radio anymore...nothing worth listening to.

...Dale
<--

Ward Cleaver

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

On 2 Dec 1996 19:44:10 GMT, servo...@aol.com wrote:

>A word about ZRock to the Bear in Detroit.
>
>The last song as Z-Rock "Fade to Black" (I almost cried.)

A similar thing happened at a Texas affiliate, the final night
as Z-Rock was one big party but it came to a sad ending
with Steelheart's "I'll Never Let You Go".

Jeff Pilson and Wild Mick Brown of Dokken stopped by
the studio. I phoned in on the request line and asked for
"It's Not Love" and they played it followed by another
Dokken classic "The Hunter". It was a great night...
everyone who listened in knew this was truly great radio.

It reminded me of the old days of Z-Rock. In their final
six hours they played a lot of the all time Z-Rock
favorites from the Scorpions, Megadeth, Kiss, Alice
Cooper and had a lot of the staff like Dave Bolt and
Matt Wolfe stop by. It's a shame they are going away.

I'm going to fight to the death to keep Z-Rock on the air!
Call up your local radio stations that used to be Z-Rock
affiliates and ask them what the hell they are doing. MTV's
headbangers ball was one of their top rated shows and
they pulled the plug on it in it's prime. They are doing the
same thing with Z-Rock and everyone is sitting back
watching them do it. Not me, I fax Satellite Music Networks
in Dallas 10 to 20 times a day telling them I want them to
keep Z-Rock on. I hope some of you that read this
follow my lead before Z-Rock fades to black!!!

Keep on rockin'

Ward

Jason Barker

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Zrock hasn't been here in Seattle in about 6 years. I remember that I
woke up in the morning, and turned on ZRock, but they were playing some
just awful song (possibly Paula Abdul or something similar). So I
listened until the DJ came on and announced that ZRock had changed format
and decided to go with more popular music.

That was the last great radio station in Seattle. Now they have a station
called KISW which is OK, but plays too much Offspring, Presidents, Green
Day, Pearl Jam and other stuff. No, this is not the alternative station,
that is KNDD, this is the ROCK station. Although I guess rock and
alternative are the same now. Also KISW doesn't play new Metallica very
often. The alternative station plays MET all the time.

I chose to listen to 102.5 KZOK which is the classic rock station. They
play stuff mostly from the 70s with a few 60s and 80s mixed in.

jason

Don Bojczuk

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996 08:56:52 -0800, Jason Barker
<jba...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>Zrock hasn't been here in Seattle in about 6 years. I remember that I
>woke up in the morning, and turned on ZRock, but they were playing some
>just awful song (possibly Paula Abdul or something similar). So I
>listened until the DJ came on and announced that ZRock had changed format
>and decided to go with more popular music.

You were listening to the wrong station because ZRock has never played

popular music. The only 2 formats they ever played were hard rock and
more recently alternative. ZRock made the switch to the alternative
format about 2 years ago. 6 years ago they were 24 hours of nothing
but heavy metal music.

If you really listened to ZRock you would know that their dj's
regularly made fun of popular music and "blew up" records by artists
like Madonna, Micheal Jackson and even Paula Abdul. Popular music on
ZRock? That's the biggest bunch of bullshit I ever heard.

Check out the ZRock 50, the top 50 songs played on the mighty "Z"
every week. They still have a few web sites up. Check one of them out
and find out what they are really playing on the air. My favorite song
on ZRock this week? Soundgarden "Blow Up the Outside World"
followed by another favorite, Metallica's "Ain't My Bitch".

Long live ZRock!!!

Denny Payne

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Stephen Marshall (zzmar...@winthrop.edu) had this to say:
: Ward Cleaver wrote:
: >
: > keep Z-Rock on. I hope some of you that read this

: > follow my lead before Z-Rock fades to black!!!
: >
: Z rock abandoned metal, let 'em die.
:
: Stephen

My sentiments exactly. 2 or 3 years ago I even heard the likes of
W.A.S.P. and Saxon in the middle of the day on ZRock. Once it turned into
the 24-hour Pearl Jam/Nirvana, etc. station I lost interest. Don't get me
wrong, I like PJ and Nirvana fine, but I DON'T like radio stations that
play the same thing all the damn time. It got to where I could almost
tell time by the song they were playing. Every morning when I got in the
car to go to work it was the same exact song (I'm not exaggerating...one
time I got one whole WEEK of Alice In Chains' "Down In A Hole" at the
EXACT same time every morning). Once again, I like AIC but geez people...

The Austin affiliate has been off the air for some time now but the
Sharkman is still here, now as the evening DJ for what the station became
(it's now called TheRock). Unfortunately they have about the same
playlist, but one cool thing is a 'Saturday Flashback' segment where they
do play some old 80's metal.

There's tons of 'alternative' stations out there. ZRock didn't need to
turn into another one. If they had kept on playing Pantera, Iron Maiden,
and of course Metallica they might have had a chance. So anyway, I
agree...let 'em die.

Denny

Mynd you, moose bytes kan be pretti nasti....
-Monty Python

Never cared for what they say, never
cared for what they know. But I know.
-Metallica "Nothing Else Matters"

Denny Payne at Illuminati Online - http://www.io.com/~nregel

WARNING! Unsolicited email advertisements are subject to a
$50 processing and storage fee per message. ** NO SPAM!! **

Jason Barker

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Don Bojczuk wrote:

> You were listening to the wrong station because ZRock has never played
> popular music. The only 2 formats they ever played were hard rock and
> more recently alternative. ZRock made the switch to the alternative
> format about 2 years ago. 6 years ago they were 24 hours of nothing
> but heavy metal music.

OK, how about "ZRock changed to another name and began playing popular
music" Either way, AM 1590 changed overnight from ZRock to a Paula
Abdul-playing pop rock station with another name

jason

Samael

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Dale L. Hartmann <DHar...@BanGate.Compaq.Com> wrote in article
<DHartmann.1...@BanGate.Compaq.Com>...

Yeah I remember when z-rock was 1070 AM, and then it went off. I was
bummed. Then it was 106.9, that was the only radio station I ever listened
too. After z-rock was gone, I was stuck listening to 101.1 KLOL. KLOL did
play some heavier stuff after Z-rock disappeared from Houston. Oh well, I
still have my Metal Militia Dog Tag and 106.9 bumper stickers.

Lita in Chico

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

>Z rock abandoned metal, let 'em die.
>
>Stephen

I grew up listening to ZRock here in Chico, California. I still enjoy
listening to them- they still have the best on-air personalities in
radio today! They've changed with the times which I can apprecite. I'm
not going to condemn a radio network for not playing the same old
1970's and 1980's dinosaur rock. How many stations in your city play
"Ain't My Bitch" by Metallica? People are not buying metal albums
these days, why should ZRock play music that is not profitable to
them. That is the exact reason ZRock switched over to an alternative
format- to try to get their audience back! How many big metal stations
are there in America? I can't even think of 5. Chicago has "Rebel
Radio" on a crappy AM frequency and I don't consider Type O Negative
and Marilyn Manson to be heavy metal. I would prefer to listen to
current music, Metallica, Alice in Chains, 311 and Soundgarden. And
what the hell is wrong with playing bands like Tool and Stone Temple
Pilots? Just because they don't have hair down to their ass and
leather jackets doesn't mean they can't rock. I am confident that
ZRock will make a triumphant comeback someday perhaps when heavy metal
music makes it's comeback. All of the major record labels have dumped
metal bands like crazy, you can't name 10 major acts that are still
going strong with Warner or one of the other big companies. Don't get
me wrong, I will always love heavy metal music but I love a lot of the
new music as well and ZRock provides it. Chico is still fortunate to
have ZRock here and when my friends heard about them shutting down
they were devastated. What's a person going to listen to all day-
rap, funk, top 40? I'm glad you are so bold to say that ZRock should
die, you must have really great radio where you live. But here in
Chico I love Zrock and will listen to them every minute of the day
until they sign off. Don't get sucked in! Detroit got rid of ZRock and
now they have a stupid station hosted by Ted Nugent and they've
started playing crap like Dr. Dre and the Fugees. What a disgrace!
So many ZRock affiliates have shut down due to lack of ratings, if
people really liked the heavy stuff, they'd still be playing it and
they would be enjoying a nationwide audience. Enough said...
Chico is not Detroit and people in California know how to rock!!!
I hope ZRock changes it's mind and stays on the air forever!

A loyal ZRock listener;

Lita Thompson from Chico, Ca.

blah man

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

Lita in Chico wrote:

> >Z rock abandoned metal, let 'em die.
> >
> >Stephen
>
> them. That is the exact reason ZRock switched over to an alternative
> format- to try to get their audience back! How many big metal stations

It's called selling out, don't sugar coat it.

> are there in America? I can't even think of 5. Chicago has "Rebel
> Radio" on a crappy AM frequency and I don't consider Type O Negative
> and Marilyn Manson to be heavy metal. I would prefer to listen to

Type O Negative have gotten more away from metal and further into goth
on the new record but the last few had metal influence. MM is not metal
(and sucks).

> current music, Metallica, Alice in Chains, 311 and Soundgarden. And
> what the hell is wrong with playing bands like Tool and Stone Temple
> Pilots? Just because they don't have hair down to their ass and
> leather jackets doesn't mean they can't rock. I am confident that

Clothes have nothing to do with how good a band is, if that is how you
judge a band then you have problems. Any metal band no matter what they
wear is better than 311 or stone temple pilots. Alternative bands are
anti-musicianship. Their afraid to play their instruments. Look at a
band like Dream Theater, better than ANY alt. band you could name.

> ZRock will make a triumphant comeback someday perhaps when heavy metal
> music makes it's comeback. All of the major record labels have dumped
> metal bands like crazy, you can't name 10 major acts that are still
> going strong with Warner or one of the other big companies. Don't get

And that is your criteria for good music, what the labels are doing?
thats pretty pathetic. On an underground level, metal is still very
popular. Metal Blade, Roadrunner and some of the other indies aren't in
any danger of going bankrupt, in fact, they're cashing in on the major
labels' ignorance. Just because the majors are dumping metal that means
I'm supposed to start listenting to alternative, yeah right!

> me wrong, I will always love heavy metal music but I love a lot of the
> new music as well and ZRock provides it. Chico is still fortunate to

Yeah, ZRock and about every other radio station. At least when zrock
played metal they were different, then they became just another face in
the crowd.

> have ZRock here and when my friends heard about them shutting down
> they were devastated. What's a person going to listen to all day-
> rap, funk, top 40? I'm glad you are so bold to say that ZRock should
> die, you must have really great radio where you live. But here in
> Chico I love Zrock and will listen to them every minute of the day
> until they sign off. Don't get sucked in! Detroit got rid of ZRock and

Yes, I do have great radio, its called hard radio
http://www.hardradio.com Charlotte, NC has the shittiest radio presence
in the world. the only station that played metal is now a station that
plays "out there" 60's and 70s music.

> now they have a stupid station hosted by Ted Nugent and they've
> started playing crap like Dr. Dre and the Fugees. What a disgrace!
> So many ZRock affiliates have shut down due to lack of ratings, if
> people really liked the heavy stuff, they'd still be playing it and
> they would be enjoying a nationwide audience. Enough said...
> Chico is not Detroit and people in California know how to rock!!!
> I hope ZRock changes it's mind and stays on the air forever!

I hope the sell out posers die a slow agonizing death. Why do you think
they're packing it in, the sell out failed and they're paying for it.

Stephen

Neil Alphonso

Dec 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/7/96

On Fri, 06 Dec 1996 07:52:18 GMT, Lita in Chico (Lita in Chico) wrote:

}"Ain't My Bitch" by Metallica? People are not buying metal albums
}these days, why should ZRock play music that is not profitable to

}them. That is the exact reason ZRock switched over to an alternative
}format- to try to get their audience back! How many big metal stations

That just depends on how you look at it. Metal was profitable, but alternarock
is more profitable. Metal died because the industry forgot about it. Z-Rock
didn't just switch their music format, they changed their whole attitude. No
more "Crank it or spank it", "If it's too loud you're too old", or "turn it up
and rip the knob off". They sold out. It's not that bad considering if they
didn't they would've gone bankrupt, but they sold out nonetheless...

Jeff Batiste

Dec 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/7/96

In article <32a52795...@news.firstnations.ca>, Ward Cleaver (Ward
Cleaver) wrote:

>On 2 Dec 1996 19:44:10 GMT, servo...@aol.com wrote:
>
>>A word about ZRock to the Bear in Detroit.
>>
>>The last song as Z-Rock "Fade to Black" (I almost cried.)

Yeah, I was pretty bummed too. The Bear sucks! So, now what does that
leave us in the Detroit area.... WRIF? Oh boy! (heavy sarcasm)

I guess all good things do come to an end.

--
Spud

Jeays Mark

Dec 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/7/96

I knew ZRock was toast when they started playing Blues Traveller

Don Bojczuk

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

>That just depends on how you look at it. Metal was profitable, but alternarock
>is more profitable. Metal died because the industry forgot about it. Z-Rock
>didn't just switch their music format, they changed their whole attitude. No
>more "Crank it or spank it", "If it's too loud you're too old", or "turn it up
>and rip the knob off". They sold out. It's not that bad considering if they
>didn't they would've gone bankrupt, but they sold out nonetheless...

From what I've heard from the reaiming affiliates, ZRock is history.
But if they do happen to survive or make a comeback in the near
future, expect big things from ZRock (like a complete makeover-
back to their heavier roots). That's the word I got from a program
director at one of the larger ZRock affiliates. And everything he has
told me sofar has come true including ABC radio networks wanting
to shut down ZRock at the end of 1996. Keep your fingers crossed!

Don Bojczuk

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

On 7 Dec 1996 09:22:05 GMT, 4m...@qlink.queensu.ca (Jeays Mark) wrote:

>I knew ZRock was toast when they started playing Blues Traveller

The bull is flying again! No Blues Traveller on ZRock! At least not on
the network feed, unless your local affiliate where you live played
it!

Lita

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Neil Alphonso wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Dec 1996 07:52:18 GMT, Lita in Chico (Lita in Chico) wrote:
>
> }"Ain't My Bitch" by Metallica? People are not buying metal albums
> }these days, why should ZRock play music that is not profitable to
> }them. That is the exact reason ZRock switched over to an alternative
> }format- to try to get their audience back! How many big metal stations
>

> That just depends on how you look at it. Metal was profitable, but alternarock
> is more profitable. Metal died because the industry forgot about it. Z-Rock
> didn't just switch their music format, they changed their whole attitude. No
> more "Crank it or spank it", "If it's too loud you're too old", or "turn it up
> and rip the knob off". They sold out. It's not that bad considering if they
> didn't they would've gone bankrupt, but they sold out nonetheless...
>

> eXe

I don't think metal's not profitable, I think the RECORD COMPANIES think
it's not profitable. There's an audience out there for metal, the
problem is, we just don't have anything to buy. I haven't bought a CD
released in the last year so...I don't listen to the radio, or watch
MTV. I'm living in a vacuum. I listen to the metal show on the college
station and to local music, but that's about it. Z-rock used to be a
great station--I used to listen to it in high school, but even towards
the end there, they were as good as an alternative station. I realize
that albums like "Load" sold a lot, but has anyone looked in the used CD
stacks? There are tons of copies. "Load" just didn't fulfill some
people's need.....Unfortunately, this seems to be the trend. Those
alternative stations are killing the album rock stations. AND I'M SICK
OF IT. Anyway, just needed to rant....

-L.

DAYTIME TV AT THE NORTH POLE

"They're cute, they're sexy, they're afraid to love.Dysfunctional elves,
tomorrow on "Santa."

************************
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

mhue...@nmsu.edu
************************

Jeays Mark

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

Don Bojczuk (dboj...@dlcwest.com) wrote:

This is definitely not bull...I listen to 106.7 from Watertown here in
Kingston, Ontario. They play either "Hook" or "Runaround" about once a
night on average...I don't know if this is just the local affiliate (it
might well be) but my point remains.
Mark

Evil Incarnate

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

Lita <mhue...@nmsu.edu> wrote:

i agree with what you've said about the audience being out there.
today i brought in a My dying bride album and everyone thought it
kicked ass. i can name a bunch of people into alternative that love
metallica/megadeth but think load is shit. if headbangers ball ever
comes back then thats when metal will start getting "cool".

-Daemonic

fvel...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2016, 1:21:57 AM9/10/16
Why are you guys taking
Z- rock away. I love z- rock
Cause I started there. A
Contract with Mr Harnold
Dauglas. In 2014. My name is
Francisco Vela Jr Frank.
The Former drummer of DARK
REALM. Yes, you heard correct. The insane crazy
Hard core drummer. I thank
Mr Dauglas for that chance
He given us. I hope they
Wont take it out.

Sincerly truly Frank
DARK REALM. Drummer

satanict...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2017, 12:52:40 PM2/17/17
Z-Rock became a trendy alternative bandwagon jumper which led to their death! Good riddance I say!

Logan Winegardner

Mar 5, 2022, 6:00:38 PM3/5/22
I recently came across an insane all over print Detroit Z Rock 102.7 Shirt... if anyone has any information on Zrock merch, hit me up. Cant find anything anywhere