Metallica vs. MegaDeth

Horace Schnagg

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

I am interested in hearing people's opinions on this subject.
General comments are welcome, but I'd also like to know which is the
better album, Rust in Peace or ...And Justice for All, and the reasons
why you think so. Please refrain from such intellectual comments such
as 'Metallica/MegaDeth blows' etc...

Horace Schnagg

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

Roger Braden

Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96

Simply put, Rust in Peace knocks AJ4All out of the water. AJ4All was a
total repudiation of everything that Metallica had claimed to stand for,
and it's just gone downhill since.
Still, the distinction between MD and Metallica (to me, at least) has
always been social conscience. Metallica draw a lot of their songs from
literary sources (one, creeping death, etc), but Megadeth seems to draw
theirs from current events (Hangar 18, that one about animal
experimentation, etc.).

Adrian

Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96

Better? Well that depends on who you are and what you like but this is what
I think:

In general AJFA is all-up a better album than RIP. HOWEVER I think that RIP
has far more emotion in it, esp in Mustaine's voice. Both Jaymz and Dave
write absoulutely wicked lyrics.In the end I think Jaymz lyrics are more
structured and poetic; Mustaine sometimes has a tendencey to go into
ramble-mode. But then you might say that that's just artistic, as opposed
to getting stuck into the
verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chorus/chorus system metallica have
a tendencey of falling into. On RIP most the songs have no such structure,
making each one more unique. Also Jaymz lyrics are more poetic using tonnes
of metaphors/symbols/etc, whereas Dave's are usually more direct and
Verbal. This means that Dave's singing has a
grab-you-by-the-balls-and-listen effect, but Jaymz has the advantage that
every time you listen to a song again you pick-up more meanings and
continue the interpretation.

The music is another area that i must say metallica excel in. RIP has some
fantastic music and a lot faster than AJFA, but it's just not nearly as
complex. RIP's music is made to conform with the sound of the lyrics,
whereas the music on AJFA is a seperate entity. This is probably because of
the drummer/vocalist combination compared to Dave's "I write, you play"
attitude. Some of the AJFA epics are just incredible... the entire songs
are incredible journeys, not just cool tunes.

To sumarize: RIP is more energetic, fast-paced, emotional and VERY
attention-grabbing. AJFA is complex, very deep, and in the long-run far
more interesting to listen to than RIP.

Congratulations if you've actually read this far without going on to the
excellent albums in one line.

--
Adrian
agi...@tpgi.com.au

"No need to hear things that they say,
Life's for my own to live my own way."

Chris Aitken

Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96

yeah - maybe thats true but who is anyone to say what people should
use as inspiration for song writing. Songs come from the heart and it
all depends whats in your heart as to what comes out on paper.

Dave might write lyrics pertaining to more current events but arent
good songs good songs ?

There are lots of songs which dont do anything for me lyrically
(slayer for one) but I really like cause the songs are brilliant.

My thoughts anyway

Chris

On 6 Nov 1996 00:57:00 GMT, "Roger Braden" <bra...@msw0.attnet.or.jp>

Homer J. Simpson

Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96

Adrian <agi...@tpgi.com.au> wrote in article
<01bbcba0$deb48900$0100007f@agibas>...

why are we comparing RIP to AJFA, compare anything megadeth has ever done
to MOP, and theres no contest...

metallifuk

Nov 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/7/96

"Homer J. Simpson" <ho...@microsoft.com> wrote:

>why are we comparing RIP to AJFA, compare anything megadeth has ever done
>to MOP, and theres no contest...

I think the best way to compare the two bands is album by album, the
points they were at in their careers, the maturity level, the time
period, etc.
This is how I see it.

Kill 'em all vs. Killing is my business... and business is good

Both great albums. Both showing the world that these two bands had
incredible potential. Who would come out on top was up in the air.

Ride the lightning vs. so far so good... so what

Still a very close contest, although I think metallica started showing
signs of their incredible diversity, whereas megadeth continued in the
same basic vein. Both very intense albums. Probably megadeth's worst
album, but still great, in my opinion.

Master of puppets vs. peace sells... but who's buying.

This is where I think metallica showed that they were clearly the better
musicians. Peace sells is an absolutely incredible album, one of the best
metal albums ever recorded, but MOP is just fucking brilliant, blowing
everything else away, in my opinion the best album, of any kind, ever
recorded. The defining record for both bands.

And justice for all vs. rust in peace

This is where both bands were already established, had grown up a bit,
and knew what they wanted to do. I'd have to say this is a dead tie.
Both albums have perfectly written songs, very progressive music, very
good lyrics, and incredible playing. Megadeth's best record ever.

Metallica vs. countdown to extinction

Both bands went a little more towards slower, more commercial sounding
music, although both albums still kick some ass. Both bands seemed to
be in a decline.

Load vs. Youthanasia

Youthanasia is the clear winner, in my opinion. Much better written songs,
better playing, more aggression, overall a very good album for megadeth,
a mediocre album for metallica.

damnijink

Nov 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/7/96

Horace Schnagg wrote:

> I am interested in hearing people's opinions on this subject.
> ... I'd also like to know which is the better album, Rust in Peace or
> ...And Justice for All, and the reasons why you think so. Please
> refrain from... 'Metallica/MegaDeth blows' etc...
I don't know about who blows who but quite honestly Dave Mustaine can
give me a headache after listening to him sing for any length of time,
usually before a whole disc can spin. I think also if you compare the
songwriting (lyrics) that James has the gift of penning superior songs
over Mustaine or whoever is responsible. Megadeth seems limited, almost
like a broken record when they decide the theme for an album. Sometimes
it carries over to the next. Metallica on the other hand seems to come up
with fresher more unique song by song thoughts. Even tho Megadeth may
have lyrics that say what they say - black and white - no mystery to
"what did they mean by that song" and James will at times leave ten
different people with ten different meanings I believe that may be part
of that unique and exciting touch to his work. As far as the music - I
believe Metallica is better - just cuz I do! hehehee. Maybe I generalized
to much - you wanted a comparison between RIP and AJFA - but I beleive
album by album the same will hold true and Metallica will come out on top
every time. So here ya have it and Metal up yer ass!
c-ya

Parasite

Nov 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/7/96

metallifuk wrote:

> Kill 'em all vs. Killing is my business... and business is good
>
> Both great albums. Both showing the world that these two bands had
> incredible potential. Who would come out on top was up in the air.

Killing is My Business has such an awful production due to producer being fired halfway
through the production. For this reason, I like Kill Em' All better. Hopefully, KIMB
will be re-mixed and re-released soon.

> Ride the lightning vs. so far so good... so what
>
> Still a very close contest, although I think metallica started showing
> signs of their incredible diversity, whereas megadeth continued in the
> same basic vein. Both very intense albums. Probably megadeth's worst
> album, but still great, in my opinion.

Well, Peace Sells came out before SFSGSW, so it would probably be wiser to compare that
one to RTL instead. I think that STSGSW is actually a very diverse album. You've got
pissed-off, angry songs like "Hook in Mouth," and "Set the World Afire" and slower,
ballad-like songs like "Mary Jane," and "In My Darkest Hour." I think it's just as
diverse as Ride the Lightning, but it's not as good.

> Master of puppets vs. peace sells... but who's buying.
>
> This is where I think metallica showed that they were clearly the better
> musicians. Peace sells is an absolutely incredible album, one of the best
> metal albums ever recorded, but MOP is just fucking brilliant, blowing
> everything else away, in my opinion the best album, of any kind, ever
> recorded. The defining record for both bands.

I think that MOP would be better compared to Rust in Peace. I consider SFSGSW kind of a
non-album, since Dave was so drugged up and the lineup was Megadeth's worst ever. AS
for Rust in Peace Vs. Master of Puppets, I'm not going to say which is better. They're
both great albums and let's just leave it at that. (I think that a lot of albums are in
the same league, like OverKill's Horrorscope and Slayer's Reign in Blood).

> And justice for all vs. rust in peace
>
> This is where both bands were already established, had grown up a bit,
> and knew what they wanted to do. I'd have to say this is a dead tie.
> Both albums have perfectly written songs, very progressive music, very
> good lyrics, and incredible playing. Megadeth's best record ever.

I'm not a big fan of AJFA and I like RIP much better. I think "One" is incredible, but
the other songs, especailly the 'The justice system sucks' song (all 15 of them) aren't
real extraordinary. I'm glad that Metallica stopped writing politcal lyrics after than
one. Again, I like to compare AJFA to CTE extinction, if anything. Even though they
came out years apart, I think that both bands were at a similar stage of evolution whne
they released their respective albums. Both are pretty pessimistic, dark, serious, ect.

Thanks for the critical analysis man. It's good to see that some people still try to
look at things objectively.

=Parasite

billp...@aol.com

Nov 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/7/96

I think both band are great musicaly, but really diferent in attitude,
especially Metallica with their new album.(LOAD kicks ass but it aint
metal).

Eric Jorgensen

Nov 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/7/96

> To sumarize: RIP is more energetic, fast-paced, emotional and VERY
> attention-grabbing. AJFA is complex, very deep, and in the long-run far
> more interesting to listen to than RIP.

I have both, I must say Rust in Peace excells in one very major area... SOLOS.

Marty Friedman is just incredible. I don't know how he can come up with
those 2 minute long solos and keep you interested through out the whole
thing.

I don't think AJFA is complex at all. I listened to it about twice and
threw it in the closet. The songs are too long and reptitive. That's why
RIP is more interesting to listen to. Also, alot of the song sound alike,
some are just plain ugly. That's another reason I like MD better. Jaymes
tends to use ugly riffs when he can't think of anything. Whereas Dave
writes everything himself, so nothing really sounds as goofy.

EJ

Bob

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

Right on. Also, i know people will be talking about metallica sucking
really bad. Yes, maybe the last 2 albums took a turn for the worst,
but at least they are doing totally different styles from album to
album.

Andrew Ariens

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

On Thu, 07 Nov 1996 15:51:34 -0600, Parasite <para...@juno.com>
wrote:

>I'm not a big fan of AJFA and I like RIP much better. I think "One" is incredible, but
>the other songs, especailly the 'The justice system sucks' song (all 15 of them) aren't

Damn, you must have a problem with counting. There's only ONE song
saying 'the justice system sucks' (Which is AJFA of course). And
there's only NINE songs on AJFA.

--
Andrew Ariens
ari...@aiinc.com

J.D. Stoner

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

> Marty Friedman is just incredible. I don't know how he can come up with
> those 2 minute long solos and keep you interested through out the whole
> thing.

I still get a woody everytime I hear the Dyers Eve solo.

Ben Osborne

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

Andrew Ariens wrote:

> Damn, you must have a problem with counting. There's only ONE song
> saying 'the justice system sucks' (Which is AJFA of course). And
> there's only NINE songs on AJFA.

It's called exaggerating. And most of the songs on the album are about how the government and its policies suck. "Eye of the Beholder," the title
track, "Blackened" (to an extent), "The Shortest Straw," "One" (being anti-military, anti-war).

=Parasite

Ben Osborne

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

> Right on. Also, i know people will be talking about metallica sucking
> really bad. Yes, maybe the last 2 albums took a turn for the worst,
> but at least they are doing totally different styles from album to
> album.

If you don't think that Megadeth changes from album to album, you don't know Megadeth. It would be foolish to disregard Megadeth because you
like Metallica. Also, people who like Megadeth and Metallica shouldn't go around thinking that they're the only two metal bands in the
world. That's why this whole comparison thing is ill-concieved. It is possible to like both bands without constantly comparing them.
Megadeth played like two shows with Metallica, while they played tons of shows with Overkill, Slayer, Testament, Pantera, Suicidal
Tendencies, and Anthrax. Why does it always come back to two bands--Megadeth and Metallica?

=Parasite

jo...@johnlee.demon.co.uk

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

wrote:

>Simply put, Rust in Peace knocks AJ4All out of the water. AJ4All was a
>total repudiation of everything that Metallica had claimed to stand for,
>and it's just gone downhill since.
>Still, the distinction between MD and Metallica (to me, at least) has
>always been social conscience. Metallica draw a lot of their songs from
>literary sources (one, creeping death, etc), but Megadeth seems to draw
>theirs from current events (Hangar 18, that one about animal
>experimentation, etc.).

Hanger 18 is about how the US government are holding UFOs in a Hanger
(18) in Area 51, Nevada. Not animal experimentation.

J.D. Stoner

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

> Damn, you must have a problem with counting.  There's only ONE song
> saying 'the justice system sucks' (Which is AJFA of course).

try eye of the beholder also.

Henry

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

In article <328348be...@news.demon.co.uk>, jo...@johnlee.demon.co.uk
says...

>>Still, the distinction between MD and Metallica (to me, at least) has
>>always been social conscience. Metallica draw a lot of their songs from
>>literary sources (one, creeping death, etc), but Megadeth seems to draw
>>theirs from current events (Hangar 18, that one about animal
>>experimentation, etc.).
>
>Hanger 18 is about how the US government are holding UFOs in a Hanger
>(18) in Area 51, Nevada. Not animal experimentation.

No flaming or anything, I think the original poster meant Hanger 18 AND that
song about animal experimentation (CTE, maybe?) AND.... etc., etc.

J.D. Stoner

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

> Why does it always come back to two bands--Megadeth and Metallica?
>
> =Parasite

I don't know, could it be because Dave was kicked out of metallica and started his own band (is it really hard to figure out)

slin...@aol.com

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

metallifuk wrote:

> Kill 'em all vs. Killing is my business... and business is good
>
> Both great albums. Both showing the world that these two bands had
> incredible potential. Who would come out on top was up in the air.

Killing is My Business has such an awful production due to producer being
fired halfway
through the production. For this reason, I like Kill Em' All better.
Hopefully, KIMB
will be re-mixed and re-released soon.

LET'S NOT OVERLOOK MUSTAINE'S NAME ON ALMOST EVERY SONG ON THAT ALBUM.
YOU CAN'T NOT GIVE dAVE CREDIT FOR AT LEAST HALF OF THAT ALBUM.

I'm not a big fan of AJFA and I like RIP much better. I think "One" is

incredible, but
the other songs, especailly the 'The justice system sucks' song (all 15 of
them) aren't

slin...@aol.com

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

HE WAS

Andrew Ariens

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

"Eye Of The Beholder" is about these little "conditions" the
government comes up with for our freedom. Like "You have complete
freedom of speech, EXCEPT when blah blah blah" or "You have freedom of
choice, EXCEPT for blah blah blah". (A recent example would be the
CDA) EOTB has nothing, or very little to do with the Justice system.

Andrew Ariens

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

On Fri, 08 Nov 1996 13:09:07 +0000, Ben Osborne <over...@csd.uwm.edu>
wrote:

>It's called exaggerating. And most of the songs on the album are about how the government and its policies suck. "Eye of the Beholder," the title
>track, "Blackened" (to an extent), "The Shortest Straw," "One" (being anti-military, anti-war).

"Blackened" is more talking about the state of the planet/environment.
Has very little to do with government.

Mr. X

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96
to Casey Bryan

Casey Bryan wrote:

> Lets just compare how long The "Black Album" has been on Billboard and
> how many copys of YouthinAsia sold.

Now Casey, it is fair to point out that Billboard album sales are not
indicative of which is the better metal band. To illustrate this point,
I'll use a non-Metallica/Megadeth example: In general, Iron Maiden NEVER
sees a chart position on U.S Billboard anymore, although their most
recent studio album (The X-Factor) went to number 8 on the album charts
in England (according to information in their new "Best of the Beast").
So they don't chart in America and they go to the top in England. What
does that say about how good a metal band they are? Nothing.

> Not to dis Megadeth but Metallica is just a better band in every sense.
> Businessly they made millions, and...

I agree. IMHO Metallica is the better band. But not because of how
much money they made (and I'm not saying they're bad guys because of
their income). Metallica is a better band because, IMHO, they care more
about their fans. I've been a fan since "Ride the Lightning." I've
seen them six times. And every time they played over 2-1/2 hours, and
their performance kicked ass. In contrast, I've seen Megadeth several
times live. Both times, they played for about 1-1/4 hours. Their
performance was okay, but they didn't stick around long enough (and
Dave's voice is pretty hurting live).

> One more thing Dave sounds like Beavis (Yeah!!Yeah!! thats cool!!).

I agree. Especially live.

The point is, we should all stop this discussion and start a thread
about how lucky we are that we have both bands. Metallica and
Megadeth. If you don't like one of them, then don't buy their disk.
But for those of us that are on line to buy a new record from either
band before it's even released, let's rejoice that we've got that right.

Only in America, my friends.

Jeff DiBartolomeo
Email: jdi...@li.net

Drake

Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96

Casey Bryan wrote:

> Lets just compare how long The "Black Album" has been on Billboard and
> how many copys of YouthinAsia sold. Not to dis Megadeth but Metallica is

> just a better band in every sense. Businessly they made millions, and
> don't say that they sold out because the made money and that is what all
> bands are tring to do.And just song writting and musicly more talented
> and one more thing Dave sounds like Beavis (Yeah!!Yeah!! thats cool!!).
>
> Casey
> log...@ix.netcom.com
> http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5018/metallic.htm

I thought musical talent wasn't based on the millions made selling records.
Sorry, but for me speaking of art is another thing.
See you,
Silver Drake
--
When ALL are ONE/And ONE is ALL |\ /|
To be a ROCK/And not to ROLL | \_____ _____/ |

dku...@ix.netcom.com

Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96

Mr. X wrote:

> The point is, we should all stop this discussion and start a thread
> about how lucky we are that we have both bands. Metallica and
> Megadeth. If you don't like one of them, then don't buy their disk.
> But for those of us that are on line to buy a new record from either
> band before it's even released, let's rejoice that we've got that
>right.

As much as I love to spark debate and bitch about any and every issue,
I'll have to agree that I feel quite lucky to have been exposed to metal
music, in particular Megadeth and Metallica.

B.D. Kerr

Nov 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/11/96

In article <328348be...@news.demon.co.uk>, jo...@johnlee.demon.co.uk writes:
> On 6 Nov 1996 00:57:00 GMT, "Roger Braden" <bra...@msw0.attnet.or.jp>
> wrote:
>
> >Simply put, Rust in Peace knocks AJ4All out of the water. AJ4All was a
> >total repudiation of everything that Metallica had claimed to stand for,
> >and it's just gone downhill since.
> >Still, the distinction between MD and Metallica (to me, at least) has
> >always been social conscience. Metallica draw a lot of their songs from
> >literary sources (one, creeping death, etc), but Megadeth seems to draw
> >theirs from current events (Hangar 18, that one about animal
> >experimentation, etc.).
>
> Hanger 18 is about how the US government are holding UFOs in a Hanger
> (18) in Area 51, Nevada. Not animal experimentation.

Cureent Events????

Huh-huh Beavis - this dude thinks he's in the fifties man!!!

Brad.

Bob

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

> Why does it always come back to two bands--Megadeth and Metallica?

because dave was kicked out of metallica in the early days, and tried
to be like thm for the rest of his career.
I some new ones:

which is better?

Dream Theater or Fear Factory

White Zombie or Monster Magnet

White Zombie or Sepultura

Bob

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

>Kill 'em all vs. Killing is my business... and business is good

Well...this is kind of a tough one, because basically the same people
wrote or had a huge ammount of influence on each other's album (Dave
co-wrote a lot of the stuff from KEA, but he also used The Mechanix on
killing. Alot of the stuff sounds like early metallica (but not a
good) because they used to be one. KEA is still much better imho.

>Ride the lightning vs. so far so good... so what

This is really easy. Ride The Lightning all the way. There shouldn't
even be debating about this, the difference is so clear and obvious.
RTL was a brilliant album, FAR ahead of its time.

>Master of puppets vs. peace sells... but who's buying.

Wow. Another tough one, since Master of Puppets has to be the best
album of all time. I really can't see how people can argue that
megadeth is better after listening to this album. No other group will
ever do anything close to songs like Orion and Master of Puppets. I
really don't care what all of you megadethy people say. Puppets
shouldn't even be compared to any megadeth album. There is no
comparison, no matter how good you say peace sells is.

>And justice for all vs. rust in peace

Justice all the way. This album is really close to puppets for
musicianship any originality. Yes, rust may have been a good album,
but again there really is no comparison with songs like ...AJFA, One,
and Harvester of Sorrow (like to see megadeth even come close to the
drumming on the intro to this).

>Metallica vs. countdown to extinction

This one is a little tougher, but metallica still comes out far on
top. I actually admire the song 'Countdown' and some of the stuff they
wrote around this time that didn't get put on any albums like 'Angry
again' (awsome song). Still, none of this stuff can come close to My
Friend of Misery.

>Load vs. Youthanasia

This has to be the toughest. Still, I like load better, actually.
Megadeth could never do anything like Bleeding Me (and they might not
want to, hopefully, do anything like Mama Said). That song kicks ass.
So does 2x4. I was always a big blues fan, and i was glad to see
metallica do something different, but when I got load, i was kind of
disappointed that they did stuff THAT different. The Outlaw Torn is
pretty cool, along with The Thorn Within. The house that jack built
ain't bad. I really don't like any of the rest of the album. Still, i
like it better than youthanasia. That album was cool, but its touch
wore off fast. Kind of megadeth's second stab at a black album. This
album also proves how bad of spellers dave & gang are
(YOUTHanasia/euthanasia) (MegaDETH/mega-death).

bob

Yakster

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

> >Kill 'em all vs. Killing is my business... and business is good
>
> Well...this is kind of a tough one, because basically the same people
> wrote or had a huge ammount of influence on each other's album (Dave
> co-wrote a lot of the stuff from KEA, but he also used The Mechanix on
> killing. Alot of the stuff sounds like early metallica (but not a
> good) because they used to be one. KEA is still much better imho.

Views from a Megadeth fan!

The production of KEA is far better than KIMB, but musically it's very
one sided. There is no real variety in the songs, where as with KIMB from
the jazzy drumming of Last Rites/Loved To Death through to the power of
The Mechanix (a damn sight better than the rather lame The Four Horsemen,
in terms of power and not dragging things out to their ultimate death!)
In my opinion, KIMB is better, not because it's "a Megadeth album" as
doubtless some people will think that I have my tongue firmly attached to
the bands collective anuses, but because musically its superior...and
besides, the lyrics are not *as* cheesy as Metallica's obvious leather thing!

> >Ride the lightning vs. so far so good... so what
>
> This is really easy. Ride The Lightning all the way. There shouldn't
> even be debating about this, the difference is so clear and obvious.
> RTL was a brilliant album, FAR ahead of its time.

Wrong time...It was against Peace Sells...So far came later! Peace was
1986, So far...1988

But anyway...production first...Peace is better produced, with Ride
sounding a little tinny...and I wouldn`t say the RTL was FAR ahead of its
time, but it did give a lot of people more impetus to play Thrash.
Peace...on the other hand was just as much of an influence, and just as
far ahead of it's time, and didn't indulge in some of the cliches of
metal that were sometimes prevelant in RTL...I prefer Peace Sells,
beacuse although RTL was good, some songs bored me "Fight Fire...",
"Escape", and "Trapped Under Ice"...Peace had got more going for it
because it was more intelligent, and musically superior.

> >Master of puppets vs. peace sells... but who's buying.
>
> Wow. Another tough one, since Master of Puppets has to be the best
> album of all time. I really can't see how people can argue that
> megadeth is better after listening to this album. No other group will
> ever do anything close to songs like Orion and Master of Puppets. I
> really don't care what all of you megadethy people say. Puppets
> shouldn't even be compared to any megadeth album. There is no
> comparison, no matter how good you say peace sells is.

Master...and So Far...

Now I have to agree that MOP is one of the finest metal albums ever
released, and even I being a staunch supporter of Megadeth have to admit
that MOP is better than SFSGSW...Although both albums have a classic in
them "Master..." and "In My Darkest Hour", Metallica did manage quite
easily to give the people a more musical album, and rely more on the
song, rather than going all out and making a racket. Megadeth only just
managed to piece together that album, or so it seemed, and although I
listen to it fairly regularly, I would say it was my least favourite.
There ya go, a Metallica win there, who said I'm one sided?!

> >And justice for all vs. rust in peace
>
> Justice all the way. This album is really close to puppets for
> musicianship any originality. Yes, rust may have been a good album,
> but again there really is no comparison with songs like ...AJFA, One,
> and Harvester of Sorrow (like to see megadeth even come close to the
> drumming on the intro to this).

COUGH COUGH, SPLUTTER!!! After MOP we expected brilliance and what did we
get? AJFA! What was it James said about this album? "Too long, too boring and
bone f**kin dry!"? I think that was it! The production is pants to say the
least and the songs...well I enjoy long songs (I listen to prog rock/metal
as well!) but these went beyond. One was one of the only good songs on there
(along with the fantastic Dyers Eve), but Harvester Of Sorrow??? The most
boring, and repetitous song they have ever done...it is crap...why do
people rave on about it so? The songs on this album were not exciting,
with the odd exception of course, and showed no great variety in the band
and instead showed a great stagnation...RIP on the other hand is the best
album Megadeth have done (IMHO), from the opening riff to Holy Wars (I
think we can compare with Blackened at this point) to the drumming in
Rust in Peace...Polaris (I'd like to see Lars cope with that complicated
part - Lars himself has said that for the first 3 albums he had to record
the drum part bar by bar beacuse his drumming was fairly bad and didn`t
trust himself!)...the musicality of RIP is far superior, the songs more
instant. The lyrics to both are very intelligent, so no contrast can be
made there, but overall, the better-produced, RIP come out way over that
mistake of an album Metallica called AJFA...

> >Metallica vs. countdown to extinction
>
> This one is a little tougher, but metallica still comes out far on
> top. I actually admire the song 'Countdown' and some of the stuff they
> wrote around this time that didn't get put on any albums like 'Angry
> again' (awsome song). Still, none of this stuff can come close to My
> Friend of Misery.

My Friend Of Misery...the best song on the Black Album...and maybe one of
the only songs off the Black Album...it's my fave song that they have
done in recent years, and I love it to pieces. But on the whole, it is a
bit tougher...I had (and still have) a problem with Metallica, and that's
the fact that they left us with Dyers Eve and came back with Enter
Sandman...um...yeah, OK? Both are produced quite badly (BA is
overproduced, and CTE is very clinical in sound, almost ruining the
typical Megadeth sound). However, James' voice has improved incredibly,
and can sing now...(glad about that...although its a shame when you
listen to him doing FWTBT live now...doesn`t work with a singsong voice),
and so has Dave...CTE again was good, but it was not my fave album by
them...although I'm getting back into it, I still feel that the songs
although good, could have been done much better. The Black Album was fine
the first few times I listened to it, butI rapidly grew bored of it, to
the point where I haven`t played it now for nigh on 3 years in it's
entirity (except for when my girlfriend comes round - she loves that album!)
CTE is more, not alive because of its clinicality, but more there...it
has a certain je ne sais quoi about it, where as the BA was a little
more...hmmm...again, there's something about both that I can live
without..but on the whole I think I prefer CTE because it didn`t bore me
as much!

> >Load vs. Youthanasia

{snip}

> album also proves how bad of spellers dave & gang are
> (YOUTHanasia/euthanasia) (MegaDETH/mega-death).
>
> bob

Load was the album the BA *should* have been! It was far superior, and
yep the Thorn Within is my fave song on the album. It showed a greater
maturity in the band and a willingness to expand their musical horizons.
This, I really appreciated! Megadeth changed again, and the album, was
not a raging success but still boasted more than its fair share of
quality songs "I thought I knew it All", "Family Tree", "Killing Road".
The production of both was far better than their previous albums, and the
songs (in Metallicas case) were far better! They both retained their
musical base but Metallica have now lost their thrash roots (Lars says
they are a "Rock band" now, so it begs the question why then do they
still play stuff off their first 2 albums? I mean, Pantera don't play any
stuff from their glam era anymore (and before anyone says anything,
Pantera WERE a glam band and only changed around 1990). Megadeth still
have elements of the old version, but still they have developed as well...
In all, I prefer listening to Load because its a more listener-friendly
album, but songwise Youthanasia takes it, because its a little better and
my tastes give it that edge!

As for the spelling...well, I'm not even gonna start on that one, I
thought it was just too damn obvioius...ah well!

THE YAKSTER>>>>> (Vice Pres/Secretary, Rock Soc)

/ \
_ ) (( )) (
(@) /|\ ))_(( /|\ _
|-|`\ / | \ (/\|/\) / | \ (@)
| | -------------------/--|-voV---\`|'/--Vov-|--\---------------------|-|
|-| '^` (o o) '^` | |
| | You've just been mailed `\Y/' "Life was like a fantasy, |-|
|-| by THE YAKSTER>>>>> Cheated by reality.... | |
| | Write to him at: Does anyone remember me?" |-|
|-| l...@coventry.ac.uk Testament - The Legacy | |
| | "It can't rain all the time..." - Mo |-|
|_|___________________________________________________________________| |
(@) l /\ / ( ( \ /\ l `\|-|
l / V \ \ V \ l (@)
l/ _) )_ \I
`\ /'
`

Yakster

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Bob wrote:

> which is better?
>
> Dream Theater or Fear Factory
> White Zombie or Monster Magnet
> White Zombie or Sepultura

How about:

Poison and Obituary?

Cannibal Corpse and Clannad?

Hootie and The Blowfish and Black Sabbath?

Parasite

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

Bob wrote:

> >Kill 'em all vs. Killing is my business... and business is good
> Well...this is kind of a tough one, because basically the same people
> wrote or had a huge ammount of influence on each other's album (Dave
> co-wrote a lot of the stuff from KEA, but he also used The Mechanix on
> killing. Alot of the stuff sounds like early metallica (but not a
> good) because they used to be one. KEA is still much better imho.

Kill 'Em All has a better production, but song-wise, the albums are close. "Looking
Down the Cross" is as good as any song off of Kill 'Em All.

> Wow. Another tough one, since Master of Puppets has to be the best
> album of all time. I really can't see how people can argue that
> megadeth is better after listening to this album. No other group will
> ever do anything close to songs like Orion and Master of Puppets. I
> really don't care what all of you megadethy people say. Puppets
> shouldn't even be compared to any megadeth album. There is no
> comparison, no matter how good you say peace sells is.

You're just incredibly biased. Rust in Peace is definitely in the same league as MOP.
So are many albums by other groups. As I've said before, try OverKill's Horrorscope,
Slayer's Reign in Blood, Mercyful Fate's Don't Break the Oath.

> >And justice for all vs. rust in peace
>
> Justice all the way. This album is really close to puppets for
> musicianship any originality. Yes, rust may have been a good album,
> but again there really is no comparison with songs like ...AJFA, One,
> and Harvester of Sorrow (like to see megadeth even come close to the
> drumming on the intro to this).

I'm not a drummer, but it seems to me that a lot of Nick Menza's drumming (Polaris,
Ashes in Your Mouth, New World Order, ect.) is excellent is at least 'close,' if not
better than anything Lars has ever done.

> >Metallica vs. countdown to extinction
> This one is a little tougher, but metallica still comes out far on
> top.

Big suprise coming out of you.

> >Load vs. Youthanasia

[rhetoric cut]

> Kind of megadeth's second stab at a black album.

That's an absolute fallacy. Youthanasia is a classic-rock-influenced, informal album.
It was completely different than the no-nonsense, strict-tolerances of CTE. The riffs
are extremeley bluesy as well as very heavy and you don't get any of the industrial,
voice-boxed, alternative-influence of Load.

> This

> album also proves how bad of spellers dave & gang are
> (YOUTHanasia/euthanasia) (MegaDETH/mega-death).

You're clutching at straws now. Both of those alterations are obviously intentional.
If you've ever listed to the song "Youthansia" with any kind of open-mind or critical
analysis, you'd realize that it's not about mercy-killing or euthanasia. It's about how
children are controlled and told how to think and act in this society, hence
"youth"-anasia.

As for the spelling of Megadeth, it's spelled phoenetically because the definition's the
same you'll find in the dictionary. Megadeth represents annihlilation by nuclear power
and Megadeth wants to leave its audience shell-shocked after every show.

--
=Ben Osborne=
Para...@juno.com, over...@csd.uwm.edu

Bob

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

>> This
>> album also proves how bad of spellers dave & gang are
>> (YOUTHanasia/euthanasia) (MegaDETH/mega-death).

>You're clutching at straws now. Both of those alterations are obviously intentional.
>If you've ever listed to the song "Youthansia" with any kind of open-mind or critical
>analysis, you'd realize that it's not about mercy-killing or euthanasia. It's about how
>children are controlled and told how to think and act in this society, hence
>"youth"-anasia.

>As for the spelling of Megadeth, it's spelled phoenetically because the definition's the
>same you'll find in the dictionary. Megadeth represents annihlilation by nuclear power
>and Megadeth wants to leave its audience shell-shocked after every show.

Do you have any clue what sarcasm is, or don't you learn words like
that until 3rd grade? As for live preformances, everyone in their
right mind would agree that Metallica puts on better shows than
Megadeth. Metallica usually plats 2 hours plus, getting better as they
go along. They play stuff better live than on the albums. As for
megadeth, they are good, but not as. They are a lot better than other
metal bands live. I have heard that Pantera's playing of the music
live really sucks, but their shows kick ass.

Parasite

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

Bob wrote:

> > Why does it always come back to two bands--Megadeth and Metallica?
>
> because dave was kicked out of metallica in the early days, and tried
> to be like thm for the rest of his career.

I think it's because morons who like Metallica only buy Megadeth in the first place
because of its association with Metallica, that's why I first bought a Megadeth album.
A lot of people are just pissed because Megadeth doesn't sound like Metallica like they
had hoped and automatically rip on them. At least I can admit that Megadeth is a great,
original band and not a pale immitation of Metallica that many of you would like to
think. Even Metallica doesn't think that.

Rausse the Wondersmurf

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96
to Casey Bryan

Sounds like you started watching MTV in 1991 and
have been basing metal on that since then. Who gives a fuck how many
records so and so sold? Hammer and Vanilla Ice sold over 8 million
records each, enough said.

James

James Rausse
Binghamton University
Bronx Resident
I-LV-U-CR

Rausse the Wondersmurf

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96
to Mr. X

James has one of the worst live voices in history.
I think that Dave could sing better live with his throat slashed.

Rausse the Wondersmurf

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96
to Parasite

I cannot see the comparison between Justice and
Countdown at all.

dku...@ix.netcom.com

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

Bob wrote:

> >Metallica vs. countdown to extinction
>
> This one is a little tougher, but metallica still comes out far on

> top. I actually admire the song 'Countdown' and some of the stuff they
> wrote around this time that didn't get put on any albums like 'Angry
> again' (awsome song). Still, none of this stuff can come close to My
> Friend of Misery.

Holy shit! Angry Again vs. My Friend Of Misery. If you had an once of
metal in your blood, you'd know that the prior is better. If you had an
once of muscianship in your body, you'd know that the prior is better.
Nevertheless Misery is great, but not even close to most Megadeth songs.

> >Load vs. Youthanasia
>
> This has to be the toughest. Still, I like load better, actually.

> Megadeth could never do anything like Bleeding Me.

For all that is sacred, let's hope not!

> So does 2x4. I was always a big blues fan, and i was glad to see
> metallica do something different, but when I got load, i was kind of

> disappointed.

I'm a big blues fan too, but not when one of my favorite "metal" bands
decides to pass poorly written blues material off as metal--a distinct
sell-out.

DECAY

Evil Incarnate

Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96

i'd have to call myself a megadeth fan over metallica, because
metallica suck now. But i was obsessed with metallica before...

Yakster <l...@coventry.ac.uk> wrote:

>> >Kill 'em all vs. Killing is my business... and business is good
>>
>> Well...this is kind of a tough one, because basically the same people
>> wrote or had a huge ammount of influence on each other's album (Dave
>> co-wrote a lot of the stuff from KEA, but he also used The Mechanix on
>> killing. Alot of the stuff sounds like early metallica (but not a
>> good) because they used to be one. KEA is still much better imho.

>Views from a Megadeth fan!

>The production of KEA is far better than KIMB, but musically it's very
>one sided. There is no real variety in the songs, where as with KIMB from
>the jazzy drumming of Last Rites/Loved To Death through to the power of
>The Mechanix (a damn sight better than the rather lame The Four Horsemen,
>in terms of power and not dragging things out to their ultimate death!)
>In my opinion, KIMB is better, not because it's "a Megadeth album" as
>doubtless some people will think that I have my tongue firmly attached to
>the bands collective anuses, but because musically its superior...and
>besides, the lyrics are not *as* cheesy as Metallica's obvious leather thing!

just keep in mind that dave wrote a bunch of the stuff on KEA...so
this album doesnt contrast very well.

>> >Ride the lightning vs. so far so good... so what
>>
>> This is really easy. Ride The Lightning all the way. There shouldn't
>> even be debating about this, the difference is so clear and obvious.
>> RTL was a brilliant album, FAR ahead of its time.

>Wrong time...It was against Peace Sells...So far came later! Peace was
>1986, So far...1988

>But anyway...production first...Peace is better produced, with Ride
>sounding a little tinny...and I wouldn`t say the RTL was FAR ahead of its
>time, but it did give a lot of people more impetus to play Thrash.
>Peace...on the other hand was just as much of an influence, and just as
>far ahead of it's time, and didn't indulge in some of the cliches of
>metal that were sometimes prevelant in RTL...I prefer Peace Sells,
>beacuse although RTL was good, some songs bored me "Fight Fire...",
>"Escape", and "Trapped Under Ice"...Peace had got more going for it
>because it was more intelligent, and musically superior.

rtl was better then so far so good...but if you want to go in order,
peace sells was much better. rtl was a great thrash album, probably
one of metallica's best, but peace sells was more intelligent in some
parts. RTL was brought down by some inferior songs (escape). However,
it does have my favorite instrumental on it, so it must be pretty
cool... :)

>> >Master of puppets vs. peace sells... but who's buying.
>>
>> Wow. Another tough one, since Master of Puppets has to be the best
>> album of all time. I really can't see how people can argue that
>> megadeth is better after listening to this album. No other group will
>> ever do anything close to songs like Orion and Master of Puppets.

neither will metallica :)

>> really don't care what all of you megadethy people say. Puppets
>> shouldn't even be compared to any megadeth album. There is no
>> comparison, no matter how good you say peace sells is.

>Master...and So Far...

>Now I have to agree that MOP is one of the finest metal albums ever
>released, and even I being a staunch supporter of Megadeth have to admit
>that MOP is better than SFSGSW...Although both albums have a classic in
>them "Master..." and "In My Darkest Hour", Metallica did manage quite
>easily to give the people a more musical album, and rely more on the
>song, rather than going all out and making a racket. Megadeth only just
>managed to piece together that album, or so it seemed, and although I
>listen to it fairly regularly, I would say it was my least favourite.
>There ya go, a Metallica win there, who said I'm one sided?!

master is the greatest album ever. every song on it kicks ass.
if you want to make a better comparison, do master vs. peace sells.
they are both incredible, but i think master gets the win.

>> >And justice for all vs. rust in peace
>>
>> Justice all the way. This album is really close to puppets for
>> musicianship any originality. Yes, rust may have been a good album,
>> but again there really is no comparison with songs like ...AJFA, One,
>> and Harvester of Sorrow (like to see megadeth even come close to the
>> drumming on the intro to this).

this album is not close to master in any way.

>COUGH COUGH, SPLUTTER!!! After MOP we expected brilliance and what did we
>get? AJFA! What was it James said about this album? "Too long, too boring and
>bone f**kin dry!"? I think that was it! The production is pants to say the
>least and the songs...well I enjoy long songs (I listen to prog rock/metal
>as well!) but these went beyond. One was one of the only good songs on there
>(along with the fantastic Dyers Eve), but Harvester Of Sorrow??? The most
>boring, and repetitous song they have ever done...it is crap...why do
>people rave on about it so? The songs on this album were not exciting,
>with the odd exception of course, and showed no great variety in the band
>and instead showed a great stagnation...RIP on the other hand is the best
>album Megadeth have done (IMHO), from the opening riff to Holy Wars (I
>think we can compare with Blackened at this point) to the drumming in
>Rust in Peace...Polaris (I'd like to see Lars cope with that complicated
>part - Lars himself has said that for the first 3 albums he had to record
>the drum part bar by bar beacuse his drumming was fairly bad and didn`t
>trust himself!)...the musicality of RIP is far superior, the songs more
>instant. The lyrics to both are very intelligent, so no contrast can be
>made there, but overall, the better-produced, RIP come out way over that
>mistake of an album Metallica called AJFA...

the way i see it, almost every song on AJFA sounds the same. some of
the songs are good, BUT lack originallity. RIP was well-thought out
and intelligent, even though the production totally sucks. Polaris was
one of the more intelligent songs ive ever seen out of metallica or
megadeth.
A better comparison would be RTL vs RIP, and in this case i would
probably have to say RTL, only because it was longer.

countdown was more intelligent, and i thought the production on both
were good. i was never a fan of what happened when you slowed down
thrash bands (generally...this), but if we do consider angry again to
be on the album, i'd have to say countdown. because i didnt like many
of the songs on either...on TBA the only two that i really thought
were good were my friend of misery and nothing else matters (reminds
me of planet caravan, i dont see why everyone says its wussy). on
countdown there were more songs that i liked (sweating bullets, ashes
in your mouth, symphony, countdown, etc.). Actually even without angry
again i'd probably say this album is better, just because i consider
ashes in your mouth to be an excellent megadeth song.

>> >Load vs. Youthanasia

>{snip}

>> album also proves how bad of spellers dave & gang are
>> (YOUTHanasia/euthanasia) (MegaDETH/mega-death).
>>
>> bob

um...
in case you dont know, dave said that the intentionally misspelled
Youthanasia represented the collective death of america's youth due to
drugs, gang violence, etc. or something along those lines.
MegaDeth looks better then MegaDeath.

>Load was the album the BA *should* have been! It was far superior, and
>yep the Thorn Within is my fave song on the album. It showed a greater
>maturity in the band and a willingness to expand their musical horizons.
>This, I really appreciated! Megadeth changed again, and the album, was
>not a raging success but still boasted more than its fair share of
>quality songs "I thought I knew it All", "Family Tree", "Killing Road".
>The production of both was far better than their previous albums, and the
>songs (in Metallicas case) were far better! They both retained their
>musical base but Metallica have now lost their thrash roots (Lars says
>they are a "Rock band" now, so it begs the question why then do they
>still play stuff off their first 2 albums? I mean, Pantera don't play any
>stuff from their glam era anymore (and before anyone says anything,
>Pantera WERE a glam band and only changed around 1990). Megadeth still
>have elements of the old version, but still they have developed as well...
>In all, I prefer listening to Load because its a more listener-friendly
>album, but songwise Youthanasia takes it, because its a little better and
>my tastes give it that edge!

>As for the spelling...well, I'm not even gonna start on that one, I
>thought it was just too damn obvioius...ah well!

i liked youthanasia more then anything metallica had done after
justice. the lyrics to the songs are timeless, as oppossed to the shit
that passes for intelligence on load. load was the album that made me
think that megadeth was better, because my rating of load was pretty
low.
at least megadeth still has their logo and Vic (i have a megadeth
sticker from the train of consequences single with Vic from
youthanasia...it kicks ass!), wheres metallica are trying to pretend
that they werent around before '91 by changing their logo :(
plus, if dave was still on drugs, this album might have been a lot
cooler, so give him a brake.

-Daemonic

Martyr

Nov 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/14/96

Bob (E-m...@my.com) wrote:
: >Kill 'em all vs. Killing is my business... and business is good

: Well...this is kind of a tough one, because basically the same people
: wrote or had a huge ammount of influence on each other's album (Dave
: co-wrote a lot of the stuff from KEA, but he also used The Mechanix on
: killing. Alot of the stuff sounds like early metallica (but not a
: good) because they used to be one. KEA is still much better imho.

He also wrote almost 100% of `The Four Horsemen' (except for that
interlude part) so the Mechanix was bound to be on Killing.

: >Ride the lightning vs. so far so good... so what

: This is really easy. Ride The Lightning all the way. There shouldn't
: even be debating about this, the difference is so clear and obvious.
: RTL was a brilliant album, FAR ahead of its time.

Should be peace sells, and they are about equal

: >Master of puppets vs. peace sells... but who's buying.

: Wow. Another tough one, since Master of Puppets has to be the best
: album of all time. I really can't see how people can argue that
: megadeth is better after listening to this album. No other group will

: ever do anything close to songs like Orion and Master of Puppets. I

: really don't care what all of you megadethy people say. Puppets
: shouldn't even be compared to any megadeth album. There is no
: comparison, no matter how good you say peace sells is.

Should be MOP Vs SFSGSW and MOP is better..

: >And justice for all vs. rust in peace

: Justice all the way. This album is really close to puppets for
: musicianship any originality. Yes, rust may have been a good album,
: but again there really is no comparison with songs like ...AJFA, One,
: and Harvester of Sorrow (like to see megadeth even come close to the
: drumming on the intro to this).

:
Rust in peace. The music is not so pointless nor repetitive. There is BASS
on the album. Guitars are supreme, holding megadeth at it's finest.

: >Metallica vs. countdown to extinction

: This one is a little tougher, but metallica still comes out far on
: top. I actually admire the song 'Countdown' and some of the stuff they
: wrote around this time that didn't get put on any albums like 'Angry
: again' (awsome song). Still, none of this stuff can come close to My
: Friend of Misery.

Countdown. Still `Heavy Metal', not some watered down version. Again, the
music (guitars, bass, drums) are supreme on countdown

: >Load vs. Youthanasia

: This has to be the toughest. Still, I like load better, actually.

: Megadeth could never do anything like Bleeding Me (and they might not

: want to, hopefully, do anything like Mama Said). That song kicks ass.

: So does 2x4. I was always a big blues fan, and i was glad to see

: metallica do something different, but when I got load, i was kind of

: disappointed that they did stuff THAT different. The Outlaw Torn is

: pretty cool, along with The Thorn Within. The house that jack built
: ain't bad. I really don't like any of the rest of the album. Still, i
: like it better than youthanasia. That album was cool, but its touch

: wore off fast. Kind of megadeth's second stab at a black album. This
: album also proves how bad of spellers dave & gang are
: (YOUTHanasia/euthanasia) (MegaDETH/mega-death).

Both are Shitty, Megadeth still havent tried to claim their stake in the
Alternative scene, But Youthansia sucked. Not as bad as LOAD but almost.

: bob

Robert D. Roth

Nov 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/14/96

dku...@ix.netcom.com displayed his intelligence by writing:

> Holy shit! Angry Again vs. My Friend Of Misery. If you had an once of
> metal in your blood, you'd know that the prior is better. If you had an
> once of muscianship in your body, you'd know that the prior is better.
> Nevertheless Misery is great, but not even close to most Megadeth songs.

In terms of metal, Angry Again is a better song, but I have trouble
swallowing that it's better musically than Misery. Misery's got a
hell of a lot of musical variety, and I can't say there's a portion of
the song that I don't like

rob
--
Robert Roth
Chemical Engineering/Computer Science

Na-taaz

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96

Comparing Metallica and Megadeth is like comparing apples and oranges. They
are just two different kinds of metal.

Ok, Here's my opinion about the Hetfield, and Mustaine conflict. I think
Hetfield is a far better songwriter than Mustaine. But, on the other hand, I
think Mustaine is a better all around guitarist. I play guitar, and have
played for many years.

Justice is the most intricate of all Metallica albums (I won't comment on Load
cause that isn't a metal album). And I would say the Rust in Peace is
probably the most intricate of all the Megadeth albums. Now compare the two.
Decide for yourself. But shit, Friedman and Mustaine in my opinion, just
destroy Hetfield, and the girly-boy Hammet.

This having been said. I still like the metallica much more than Megadeth.
(except for the fact that the Black album, and Load {especially Load} suck).
But so did Countdown and Youthanasia. Face it, Metal is dying if not already
dead!

And this goes out the all those Mother Fuckers out there.... I don't have to
like Load just because it is from Metallica. Fuck you! I don't like it!
Nobody can say anything to change my mind! Maybe I am stuck in the past.
There is nothing wrong with that! At least in the 70's and 80's there was
some metal the kicked you in the ass and made you feel alive! Fuck the Load
album!!!

Bob

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

>Simply put, Rust in Peace knocks AJ4All out of the water. AJ4All was a
>total repudiation of everything that Metallica had claimed to stand for,
>and it's just gone downhill since.
>Still, the distinction between MD and Metallica (to me, at least) has
>always been social conscience. Metallica draw a lot of their songs from
>literary sources (one, creeping death, etc), but Megadeth seems to draw
>theirs from current events (Hangar 18, that one about animal
>experimentation, etc.).

How about all of the Metallica songs about things like drugs (Master
of Puppets) child abuse/drug addictions (Harvester of Sorrow) Insanity
(Shortest straw, frayed ends of sanity, my friend of misery, etc, etc)
Government & Military (...AJFA, No Remorse, one) nature (Blackened),
etc?

Bob

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

> James has one of the worst live voices in history.
>I think that Dave could sing better live with his throat slashed.

WHAT?????????!!!!!!!!!??????? Ok. Jaymz' voice was not that great on
the 'Kill em All for One' tour, but it absolutely kicked ass after
that, and still does. He probably has the coolest voice in all of
metal (Phillip not far behind). Dave is just plain whiney and
annoying.

Bob

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

> I cannot see the comparison between Justice and
>Countdown at all.

Neither can I. AJFA was one of the best albums EVER put out by any
band, while countdown was actually pretty shitty.

Marius

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

In article <56r6di$7...@news3.alpha.net>, E-m...@my.com says...
Dave whiny and annoying???? James = boring.

Shay Adar

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

James probably has the coolest voice in all of

> metal (Phillip not far behind). Dave is just plain whiney and
> annoying.

Umm.. no no no.. the COOLEST voice in Metal, is DEFFINETELY the voice of
KING DIAMOND.
and about your little arguement, as much as I love MEGADETH a LOT more than
Metallica, Hetfield DOES have a better voice, Live or on the albums, I
say... but both of their voices arent exactly 'good', ESPECIALLY not when
they try to sound all sensetive and delicate, cause then they REALLY suck.

Nick McConnell

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.961112102429.4256A-100000@leofric>, Yakster
<l...@coventry.ac.uk> writes

How about,

Iron Maiden vs Helloween

Pantera vs Fear Factory

Testament vs Metallica

Testament vs Megadeth

Testament vs Iron Maiden
--
* 'Iron Maidens gonna get you, *
* No matter how far.' *

Na-taaz

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

In article <3292895f...@news.demon.co.uk>, jo...@johnlee.demon.co.uk wrote:
>On datefrom

>>Justice is the most intricate of all Metallica albums (I won't comment on Load
>
>>cause that isn't a metal album). And I would say the Rust in Peace is
>>probably the most intricate of all the Megadeth albums. Now compare the two.
>
>>Decide for yourself. But shit, Friedman and Mustaine in my opinion, just
>>destroy Hetfield, and the girly-boy Hammet.
>
>Yes, Mustaine and Friedman are technically better than Hetfield &
>Hammet. But technicality aren't everything. Hetfield, I find writes
>better songs. He gives a lot of their songs an epic, operatic feel.
>Which I like.

I totally agree! Mustaine and Friedman are better from a technical
standpoint, but James is a much better songwriter. Hetfield is one of the
best songwriters around in the Metal category.

>>This having been said. I still like the metallica much more than Megadeth.
>>(except for the fact that the Black album, and Load {especially Load} suck).
>>But so did Countdown and Youthanasia. Face it, Metal is dying if not already
>>dead!
>>
>>And this goes out the all those Mother Fuckers out there.... I don't have to
>>like Load just because it is from Metallica. Fuck you! I don't like it!
>>Nobody can say anything to change my mind! Maybe I am stuck in the past.
>>There is nothing wrong with that! At least in the 70's and 80's there was
>>some metal the kicked you in the ass and made you feel alive! Fuck the Load
>>album!!!
>

>To me though, LOAD is almost a step back to the 70s hard rock/metal
>scene. Cos the 'in' thing now for metal is to go the power-metal way
>a la Pantera.... or even adding techno samples in the music a la White
>Zombie. Metallica, is still, in a way trying to be different. SO
>WHAT! anyways...

nci...@aol.com

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

let's just make this a little easier and list all the albums in order of
goodness:

1.MoP- probably the best album of all time, and a trendsetter in every
sense. this album proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that james is a fine
composer. "orion" showed the immense maturity of the band at a young age.
"damage inc." showed that they were harder than slayer could ever hope to
be. "MoP" and "disposable heroes" showed that they could write better
long songs than yes or king crimson or any of those progressive bands.
"the thing..." showed an iron-maidenesque ability to write cool songs
about literary ideas. "sanitarium" showed their utter mastery of the heavy
metal ballad. "leper messiah" showed their ability to write a straight
ahead rock n'roll song with a heavy metal edge to it. and, oh yes, the
lyrics (easily the least relevant thing about metallica) are top notch.

2.Countdown- whoever slagged the production value of countdown really
caused me to be perplexed. countdown has the single best production of
any album i have ever heard. the only album that even comes close is
pantera's far beyond driven. the bass drum sound IS what a bass drum
should sound like, as goes for the rest of the drums. there is literally
not one bad second on the album. the songs are short and too the point
and really in the pocket. this album showed a megadeth matured beyond
almost every other artist in any rock genre. i still can't believe how
incredibly perfect this record is. the best song is 'countdown', but
'captive honor' comes in a close second. the use of external sound
effects is perfect. the tones are perfect. marty and dave playing off of
each other are PERFECT. the lyrics are perfect. nick thought out every
single drum fill. every aspect of this album was planned and prepared to
perfection.

3.AJFA- extraordinary. it has "one", the best metal song of all time.
this album perfected this part of their career. "harvester" is incredible
as the ultimate "slow groove". i don't know why lars refuses to play the
bass drum correctly in concert, but it certainly makes the song more
boring live. long live the epic!

4.RiP- what can i say? only megadeth could have created something this
volatile. this album really shows the difference between mustaine's
riffing and everyone else's. the epic "holy wars" is an institution now.
the "hangar 18" riff wins for most original riff of all time. "take no
prisoners" smashes your head into the ground, particularly the breakaway
riff at the beginning that features the most incredible palm-muting of all
time. "lucretia" is the ultimate groove-metal tune. marty fits in nicely
on his first project here, as does nick.

5.Metallica- the black album is a cavernous hour long rush of pure rock.
"my friend of misery" is their finest recent work, particularly the
harmonized solo in the middle. everything on here is good, and the
production is first-rate. "the god that failed" simply rips your head off.
not one bad second of music on here. it's not a sellout; rather, it's
perfection of the new "one-riff per song" format. how did they do it?

6.Youthanasia-the most at-first inaccesible recent work of either group.
however, once it grows on you, it's crushing. they went for rawer "live"
production, which is alright, but no countdown. the best song here is
"youthanasia" with "i thought i knew" a close second. a very solid
performance. "train.." could only have been written by megadeth. marty is
on fire once again.

7.RTL- i used to like this one more, but the production kind of nags at me
now. it's still crushing and better than almost every other rock record
ever recorded. another trendsetter. the bright spot here is "creeping
death"

8.Kill 'em All- you have to like metallica to like this one. and i do, so
i love it! "the four horsemen" is incredible, as is "phantom lord".

9.Load- the most needlessly maligned album of all time. most bands would
kill to have one song as good as the worst song on this album! the best
song is a tie between "ronnie" and "bleeding me". "until it sleeps" is as
classic of a metallica sound as your're going to get, however, with a new
twist. solid from start to finish. i can't believe that you "fans" out
there don't like this one. it's a gem.

10.Peace Sells...-crushing, crushing, crushing. a trendsetter. best song
"good morning/black friday". these are those kinds of songs that make you
say "how the hell did he think that would be good for a song?"!

11.SfSGSW-several bright spots, but the production is absolutely abyssmal.
best song: "hook and mouth". "liar" is a sleeper classic, though.

12.Killing is...- not really worthy of mention besides 'the mechanix',
which can be heard in true form on "kill 'em all". i know that will
probably rile some people up, but come on.

so there's my two cents. i would like to say, that although a lot of
other good metal bands are out there, it all comes back to metallica,
megadeth, and iron maiden. (pantera is starting to stake a claim,
though). feel fortunate that james and dave split. they have provided us
with hours of musical brilliance. also, forget about the damn lyrics. go
read poetry if that's what you care about. anyone can write lyrics. it
takes a genius to write a beautiful melody and to arrange it well. it's a
real mistake to rate these albums heavily towards their lyrical content.

and oh yes. metallica is better.

dku...@ix.netcom.com

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

I have no time for comments.

1. ...And Justice For All
2. Rust In Peace
3. Countdown To Extinction
4. Hidden Treasures (that's right an EP)
5. Master Of Puppets
6. Metallica
7. Ride The Lightning
8. Kill 'Em All
9. Peace Sells
10. SFSGSW

KIMBABIS and Load suck, so they don't count. Metallica was once better,
but since 1990 and Rust In Peace, Megadeth have slaughtered Metallica.

DECAY

jo...@johnlee.demon.co.uk

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

On datefrom

>Justice is the most intricate of all Metallica albums (I won't comment on Load
>cause that isn't a metal album). And I would say the Rust in Peace is
>probably the most intricate of all the Megadeth albums. Now compare the two.
>Decide for yourself. But shit, Friedman and Mustaine in my opinion, just
>destroy Hetfield, and the girly-boy Hammet.

Yes, Mustaine and Friedman are technically better than Hetfield &
Hammet. But technicality aren't everything. Hetfield, I find writes
better songs. He gives a lot of their songs an epic, operatic feel.
Which I like.

>This having been said. I still like the metallica much more than Megadeth.

Yakster

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

> metal (Phillip not far behind). Dave is just plain whiney and
> annoying.

Are we talking Anselmo here? If so then my opinion is this:

The man can sing (as in SING) very well, after all he was operatically
trained, but on the whole his voice is now just the stereotype of all
that's cheesy in rock. It has no range (while grunting) and basically
sounds like a large pile of poo. Pantera have never been one of my
favourite bands, but I can appreciate why some people like them.
Phil singing ie Cemetary Gates, is cool (even if when he hits the high
notes he sounds ridiculously like Bruce Dickinson)m but grunting...nah,
it sounds like poo.

Phil will never be a GREAT vocalist, just a vocalist of a very popular band.

THE YAKSTER>>>>> (Vice Pres/Secretary, Rock Soc)

/ \

Robert Guardiola

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

Shay Adar (sha...@netvision.net.il) wrote:

: James probably has the coolest voice in all of
: > metal (Phillip not far behind). Dave is just plain whiney and
: > annoying.
: >

: Umm.. no no no.. the COOLEST voice in Metal, is DEFFINETELY the voice of

: KING DIAMOND.
: and about your little arguement, as much as I love MEGADETH a LOT more than
: Metallica, Hetfield DOES have a better voice, Live or on the albums, I
: say... but both of their voices arent exactly 'good', ESPECIALLY not when
: they try to sound all sensetive and delicate, cause then they REALLY suck.

wow. King Diamond is the WORST sounding human on the planet.

stigim

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96
to sti...@ici.net

Martyr wrote:

> He also wrote almost 100% of `The Four Horsemen' (except for that
> interlude part) so the Mechanix was bound to be on Killing.

> Is it just me or does something not seem right in this thought?

Jacques Altounian

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Since we're now on the subject, I would like to add something about
Dave's voice. True, I only have Megadeth's latest album (that's the
only Megadeth I've ever heard) and I do kinda feel like Dave's voice is
kinda anoying, but the actual music really is good. After a while, I
got used to his voice. I'm starting to like the group but it's
defenetly not due to Dave's voice. I'm a die hard Metallica fan and I
love Jamz's voice.

while we're on the subject, I also think that Bruce Dickinson has a
cool (unique) voice. And I absolutely LOVE the voice of the lead singer
of Type O Negative. They have real awsome talent!!!

Yakster wrote:

> > metal (Phillip not far behind). Dave is just plain whiney and
> > annoying.

Dennis Baecker

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

> Ride the lightning vs so far, so good, so what...
[...]
> Master of puppets vs peace sells...

Are you crazy!??!? If you want to compare the Megadeth albums with
the Metallica albums in history then it must be

Ride The Lightning vs. Peace Sells...

and

Master of Puppets vs. So Far So Good...

Ted Brekken

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Nick McConnell wrote:

> >> Dream Theater or Fear Factory

Close, but Fear Factory for more sincerity

> >> White Zombie or Monster Magnet

Zombie, easy

> >> White Zombie or Sepultura
Have to go with Sepultura. They both are original, but Sepulturas got a
small edge.

> How about,
>
> Iron Maiden vs Helloween

Maiden

> Pantera vs Fear Factory
To tough to call

> Testament vs Metallica
IMO
Early 80s, Metallica over Testament (barely)
Late 80s, Tie
90s, Testament over Metallica (easy)

> * 'Iron Maidens gonna get you, *
> * No matter how far.' *
> *____________________________ *
> * UP THE IRONS!!!!!!! *
> * Nick McConnell *

My $.02

(Views expressed are my own)

Evil Incarnate

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Dennis Baecker <lu...@flash.aworld.de> wrote:

>and

nope, because Peace sells crushes rtl and master is overkill when you
compare it to So far so good...
so you have to try to compare the style of the album instead of the
year.
therefore, Killing vs KEA
rtl vs So far so good
Master vs. Peace sells
Justice vs. RIP
Countdown vs. Metallica
Load vs. Youthanasia

Derrick S Collins

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

> wow. King Diamond is the WORST sounding human on the planet.

King Diamond is, in my humble opinion, the ABSOLUTE BEST sounding metal
vocalist on this, or any other, planet. The second best being Bruce
Dickinson.

Derrick Collins
"Into the night I go and you can't follow me." - King Diamond 'The
Graveyard'

Robert D. Roth

Nov 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/23/96

In alt.rock-n-roll.metal Jacques Altounian <gri...@udel.edu> wrote:
> And I absolutely LOVE the voice of the lead singer
> of Type O Negative. They have real awsome talent!!!

peter steele? no fucking doubt dude. that man has range and quality
to his singing.

Rogerio Brito

Nov 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/23/96

Ben Osborne <over...@csd.uwm.edu> wrote:
>Why does it always come back to two bands--Megadeth and Metallica?

I think that it is because both band have almost the same
style (well, at least, they had during the earlier part
of their careers) and because Dave was a former member
from Metallica.

So, this latter reason puts them in a more or less
"competition" in the views of lots of people.

Moreover, they are very popular (and why not say best?)
bands and this exposure makes people think about the
first reasons.

But I'm a fan of both.

[]s, Roger...

Rogerio Brito - rbr...@ime.usp.br - http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito
"Master, Master, where's the dreams that I've been after?
Master, Master, you promised only lies!
Laughter, laughter, all I hear or see is laughter.
Laughter, laughter, laughing at my cries."
James Hetfield (Metallica), Master of Puppets

mike

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

> To me though, LOAD is almost a step back to the 70s hard rock/metal
> scene. Cos the 'in' thing now for metal is to go the power-metal way
> a la Pantera.... or even adding techno samples in the music a la White
> Zombie. Metallica, is still, in a way trying to be different. SO
> WHAT! anyways...

Being gay pussys is not being different or making a statement! Some people
call it "making the transition to a 90s market", others call it "SELLING
OUT!"

Like "Hero of the Day" really makes me want to bang my head against the
dashboard until it bleeds...

||========================================================||
|| Myche Escobar, I.P.V.R. ||
|| Poet, Luminary and Philosopher Extraordinaire ||
||========================================================||
|| REMEMBER GUNS N' ROSES 1985-1996 ||
||========================================================||

dust...@localnet.com

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

metallifuk <tom...@enter.net> wrote:

>I think the best way to compare the two bands is album by album, the
>points they were at in their careers, the maturity level, the time
>period, etc.
>This is how I see it.

maturity...dave...yeah right!!!

>Kill 'em all vs. Killing is my business... and business is good

>Both great albums. Both showing the world that these two bands had
>incredible potential. Who would come out on top was up in the air.

Didn't Dave write both albums???

>Ride the lightning vs. so far so good... so what

>Still a very close contest, although I think metallica started showing
>signs of their incredible diversity,
ummm...peace sells came first here...and kicked ride the lightning's
ass, even though dave wrote the better half of the tunes on rtl...

>Master of puppets vs. peace sells... but who's buying.

you mean so far...but i would have to give it to mettalica here, even
though in my darkest hour, liar, hook in mouth are amaizing. anarchy
isn't that great

>And justice for all vs. rust in peace

Megadeth's best record ever vs. Metallica's first sellout

>Metallica vs. countdown to extinction

both mediocrity, but megadave is still way past metallica

>Load vs. Youthanasia

youthanasia is a diverse, slower but more mature album, where I still
haven't heard load because I really don't care

long live dave

metallifuk

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

dust...@localnet.com wrote:
>metallifuk <tom...@enter.net> wrote:
>

>>I think the best way to compare the two bands is album by album, the
>>points they were at in their careers, the maturity level, the time
>>period, etc.
>>This is how I see it.
>
>maturity...dave...yeah right!!!
>
>>Kill 'em all vs. Killing is my business... and business is good
>
>>Both great albums. Both showing the world that these two bands had
>>incredible potential. Who would come out on top was up in the air.
>
>Didn't Dave write both albums???

No. Dave helped write 4 or 5 songs on KEA.

>>Ride the lightning vs. so far so good... so what
>
>>Still a very close contest, although I think metallica started showing
>>signs of their incredible diversity,
>ummm...peace sells came first here...and kicked ride the lightning's
>ass, even though dave wrote the better half of the tunes on rtl...

Dave helped write two(2) songs on RTL, there were eight(8) songs on the
album, so how do you come up with "dave wrote the better half?"

>>Master of puppets vs. peace sells... but who's buying.
>
>you mean so far...but i would have to give it to mettalica here, even
>though in my darkest hour, liar, hook in mouth are amaizing. anarchy
>isn't that great

No, I meant peace sells. I wasn't just comparing albums from the same
time period, but where I feel the bands were in the careers, and I think
so far... was a step backward for megadeth. Besides, I can compare
whatever the fuck I feel like comparing.

>>And justice for all vs. rust in peace
> Megadeth's best record ever vs. Metallica's first sellout

So tell me, which parts of the justice album do you think were metallica's
attempt at "selling out".

mer...@earthlink.net

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

Martyr wrote:

> [...]

> : metallica do something different, but when I got load, i was kind of
> : disappointed that they did stuff THAT different. The Outlaw Torn is
> : pretty cool, along with The Thorn Within. The house that jack built
> : ain't bad. I really don't like any of the rest of the album. Still, i
> : like it better than youthanasia. That album was cool, but its touch
> : wore off fast. Kind of megadeth's second stab at a black album. This
> : album also proves how bad of spellers dave & gang are
> : (YOUTHanasia/euthanasia) (MegaDETH/mega-death).
>
> Both are Shitty, Megadeth still havent tried to claim their stake in the
> Alternative scene, But Youthansia sucked. Not as bad as LOAD but almost.
>
> : bob
>
> --

> iMetallica could kick Megadeaths ass any day, or at least they used to be
able to since load sucks pretty bad, but maybe load2 will be better.

dku...@ix.netcom.com

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

>mer...@earthlink.net wrote:

>Metallica could kick Megadeaths ass any day, or at least they used tobe
> able to since load sucks pretty bad, but maybe load2 will be better.

Don't make comments like this if you can't even spell "MEGADETH". You
just make yourself look stupid. As for LOAD Pt.2, it will be better than
LOAD Pt.1, but will not resemble their pre-black album material or heavy
metal in any way. As for MEGADETH, they are finishing up in the studio
and will be kicking Metallica's ass (again) once their album hits the
stores.

DECAY

Karen

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

>>As for LOAD Pt.2, it will be better than LOAD Pt.1, but will not resemble
their pre-black album >>material or heavy metal in any way. As for
MEGADETH, they are finishing up in the studio
>>and will be kicking Metallica's ass (again) once their album hits the stores.
>>
>>DECAY

How do you know what Load Pt 2 will be like? Do you know something we don't
know about the next release? (Like *when*?)

Or are you assuming that Metallica has heard the vast cry of agony from
their fans and are going to straighten their asses out and start putting
out some real kick-ass metal again?

Just wondering...

Karen

dku...@ix.netcom.com

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

I was once a Metallica club member. ENOUGH SAID.

DK

dku...@ix.netcom.com

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

> Melanie Richmond wrote:
>
> hasn't this little war between metallica and megadeth been beaten to death
> already?...how boring.

What else is there? Well, are there any guitar players around here who
would like to discuss scale theory or speed techniques?

DK

James F McCafferty

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

I heard Devil Dance at a concert and it rocks like a mother...
As for the rest of stuff.. we'll have to see...

According to Lars.. Metallica wrote something like 30 songs for Load..
and this album is supposed to represent the second half of these

Jim

mind...@aol.com

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

ehhm, first of all i wanna say that I hate AOL, also I have to use it for
ine month, my original server is down for several reasons....

Ok, but heres my point:

What the hell do yll aou guys talk about Metal is dead! Maybe Metallica is
dead, but theres Metal out there, and I am not talking about the bands
everybody in this group talks about. MEGADETH is still one of the best
bands, and if you dont see that Youthanasia is good, you need some help
from your doctor..
but I dont mean MegadetH anyway.

Dont you guys know some of THE best Speed/Powermetalbands around????

What about Sanctuary/NEVERMORE (Politics of Ecstasy is THE best
Speedmetal-Album along with Rust in Peace and Puppets!!!! REALLY!!!!!)
Iced Earth
Anacrusis (you gotta know em!)
Faustus
Forbidden (GODS!)
Channel Zero (at least there first one is superb)
GRIP (Heard the newone already, a KILLER!)
and so on and so on.....??????

most of this band are from America, and all other Bands (except Megadeth
and Metallica) most people here seem to know are trendycraps like White
Zombie or Pantera, or NIN or Manson and shit like that!!!!
Arent there any METALHEADZ outthere anymore? Here in Europe we hate this
Trends! Are you guys in the US MTV-Junkies or what??? Metal may have gone
Underground, but thats what will help it up again!
Up the Irons!
-Kali

PS: Please buy at least Politics of Extasy!!!! Its a MUST-BUY, it fucking
rules, man!

mot...@bu.edu

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

In article <19961203163...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

Well, 1997 will be the year of resurrection of heavy metal. a lot of 80's and
90's metal bands' cds will be out!!!

metallica-load part2, megadeth, poison, testament, slayer, dream theater,
nuno bettencourt, van halen( probably?), w.a.s.p, anthrax, machine head,
judas priest etc.

Vitor Varalonga

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

> > iMetallica could kick Megadeaths ass any day, or at least they used to be

> able to since load sucks pretty bad, but maybe load2 will be better.

Well personally I prefer MetallicA than MegadetH.
But I still consider MegadetH as one of my fav. bands.
By the way, MetallicA's new album will be called (most probably...)
Wainting in the Wings.

D.J.Fallon

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

In article <32A4A1...@student.dei.uc.pt>,

ThEY arE bOtH ShiT!

Koen van der Drift

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

In article <586t1v$7kc...@salford.ac.uk>, ENA...@news.salford.ac.uk
(D.J.Fallon) wrote:

>ThEY arE bOtH ShiT!

I think your capslock is broken.

- Koen.

--
"...I'll tell you all my secrets, but I will lie about my past..."

Tom Waits.

Charles C. Kontos

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Now that's a persuasive argument.

HP Authorized Customer

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

at least megadeth stays true to there style

Vitor Varalonga <vped...@student.dei.uc.pt> wrote in article
<32A4A1...@student.dei.uc.pt>...

Vitor Varalonga

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

> ThEY arE bOtH ShiT!

Get the fuck out of here you asshole!!!
The only piece of shit around here is you PAL !!!

Vitor Varalonga

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

> at least megadeth stays true to there style

Define STYLE please...

(If you don't like MetallicA what the hell are doing here...)

Travis Bickle

Dec 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/7/96

I recently saw a post of metallica vs. megadeth and someone said that nick
menza couldnt do the harvester of sorrow intro on drums. First of all, Nick
could do it 3 times better then Lars. Second of all, Lars isnt even a good
drummer. There was a time when he was almost booted from the band, but since
he contributed so much James wouldnt do it. Lars had to program some of the
drum tracks on AJFA and Load, and i dunno if u ever heard battery live, but
lars really fucks it up. Nick Menza is one of the best metal drums...lars
should go back to pursuing his tennis career...

Travis Bickle
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| You talken to me? You talken to me? You talken to me? |
| Then who the hell else you talking to... |
| ...you talken to me? Well I'm the only one here. |
| Who the fuck do you think your talking to? |
| oh yea, huh, kay...HUH? |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Travis Bickle

Phil Warda

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

>I heard Devil Dance at a concert and it rocks like a mother...
>As for the rest of stuff.. we'll have to see...

>According to Lars.. Metallica wrote something like 30 songs for Load..
>and this album is supposed to represent the second half of these

Why do that ? Why release the worst half of the 30 songs ?

Philippe Warda --- Phi...@cam.org or pwa...@po-box.mcgill.ca
School of Computer Science ------------------ McGill University
Kill my boss - Do I dare live out the AMERICAN DREAM (HOMER)
If you're leaving Close the door I'm not expecting people anymore
Hear me grieving Lying on the floor Whether I'm drunk or dead
I'm really not to sure. I'm a Blind Man

Beaker

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

In alt.rock-n-roll.metal.heavy Phil Warda <Phi...@cam.org> wrote:
> Why do that ? Why release the worst half of the 30 songs ?
let's just hope that they're the worst half... it could get worse...

sam...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

Travis Bickle (ta...@driver.com) wrote:
: lars really fucks it up. Nick Menza is one of the best metal drums...lars
: should go back to pursuing his tennis career...

Well hey, I might as well throw in my buck and a half. I think
Menza's probably technically better (stays in time etc. :), but I'd much
rather _listen_ to Lars' stuff anyday. Maybe it's because I like
Metallica more anyway, but when I listen to Justice, and then to Rust in
Peace, I get so much more into Lars' playing. It just seems more, I don't
know. I cannot say it in your language. mxyzptlk. Or something.
&
It's hard to say who can play what, and who can play something
that somebody else can't. I'm sure Nick could play Harvester, but it
would sound different for sure. That just happens with covers. Even the
guy who wrote the song doesn't play it the same way as on the album. Look
at any live version of any song. ok, enough

Stor Pik
///

eme...@acsu.buffalo.edu

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

In article <58dhd2$7...@tandem.CAM.ORG>, Phi...@cam.org (Phil Warda) wrote:

>>I heard Devil Dance at a concert and it rocks like a mother...
>>As for the rest of stuff.. we'll have to see...
>
>>According to Lars.. Metallica wrote something like 30 songs for Load..
>>and this album is supposed to represent the second half of these
>
>Why do that ? Why release the worst half of the 30 songs ?

It's called MONEY, dude. Why throw 15 songs in the trash when they can release
them, cut a video, appear on a few awards shows, do the talk show thing (just
saw them on Space Ghost last night, if you can believe THAT), in short: 2
albums are better than one, especially if clueless Metallica "followers", who
proclaim that they can do no wrong, keep buying this shit. I didn't even
buy And Justice For All. but i'd buy 10 copies of that before I bought LOAD
part anything. As for now, i am content to buy the next set of CD's from
Slayer, Dream Theater, Megadeth, and King Diamond. Metallica doesn't exist in
my mind anymore.

The Demon Seed

Karen

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

>>According to Lars.. Metallica wrote something like 30 songs for Load..
>>and this album is supposed to represent the second half of these
>
>Why do that ? Why release the worst half of the 30 songs ?

Here's a scary thought: Maybe Load was the *best* half!
KG

Rausse the Wondersmurf

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96
to Travis Bickle

Fucks up Battery in concert? My man, have you
ever heard how he fucks up on the album? The end part, which could be the
coolest guitar riff on the album, is fucked up by Lars' off beat drums.
Personally, I think Lars Ulrich died during the And Justice for All
recordings, Metallica got a lookalike to drum, he did a spectacular
drumming job, but got booted when Lars came back to life, and Lars
continued to play on the last two albums and make all of us sick.

James

James Rausse
Binghamton University Bronx Resident I-LV-U-CR Schnarf! Gnap!
If you want check out http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/5924
It's my wonderful webpage. Yes I know you're impressed.
Adios from the Mainland borough.

Rausse the Wondersmurf

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96
to HP Authorized Customer

YOuthanasia was true to style? I never remember
Megadeth saying that their style of music had always been shit. I felt
that before that they wrote good melodic speed metal.

Joel Gaspar

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996 16:24:35 -0500, Rausse the Wondersmurf
<bd2...@binghamton.edu> wrote:

> YOuthanasia was true to style? I never remember
>Megadeth saying that their style of music had always been shit. I felt
>that before that they wrote good melodic speed metal.

I totally agree. Youthanasia doesn't compare to Load

Evil Incarnate

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

jga...@cts.com (Joel Gaspar) wrote:

youthanasia is fucking better then load, imo...

-Daemonic

Rausse the Wondersmurf

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96
to Evil Incarnate

I'd rather not judge. Both suck too much to allow
me to pass a judgement. I can't sink to that level of shit.

John L Clinebell

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Joel Gaspar wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Dec 1996 16:24:35 -0500, Rausse the Wondersmurf
> <bd2...@binghamton.edu> wrote:
>

> > YOuthanasia was true to style? I never remember
> >Megadeth saying that their style of music had always been shit. I felt
> >that before that they wrote good melodic speed metal.
> >

> I totally agree. Youthanasia doesn't compare to Load

doesn't compare? haha. don't go touting "the load" as the something to
blow anything away, it's metallica's weakest effort ever, both musically
and lyrically speaking. the only redeeming qualities it has are good
production and singing. sure some of the tracks on youth may be weak, but
even the weak ones shred at least a little, they all have some
wicked riff or solo to save them. but there's no complete flops like
"cure" (everyone seems to need a cure after listening to this one),
"ronnie" (i said lost my way in this incredibly boring zz top ripoff),
and "bleeding me" (oooooh i can't take it - the 8+ minutes of the same
thing over and over again) on it. i'd like to think that now that met has
had their "alternative gamble", and raked in millions from all the posers
they can get down to trying to save some of the new songs from "the load"
sessions from being jokes. i think that if "the load" wasn't so drawn out
and mellow that it would be a great album. when i first heard until it
sleeps i was really excited about the new one, but then when i heard the
rest of the album on the radio i was like, "what is this crap?" what
happened to the cool intros, the solos, the lyrics? i mean change is
good (i like tba), but what happened to their creativity? a song to
metallica used to consist of a little more than the same riff over and
over and over. everything is just a step back. five years is a long time
to come up with some decent songs, hell they didn't need two years before
to crank out the greatest albums back to back. i can see how the money
could have made them lazy though, i mean, why put out an album every two
years when you can get away with 5? and still sell millions of copies?

all i have left to say is that i'm glad to hear that they aren't really
emphasizing "the load' on tour, so maybe they've had enough of hearing
those inferior efforts floating around the airwaves too.

before you flame, realize that these are just opinions, everyone's
entitled to em (and people who detest "the load" are just as good of
fans as the supporters)!

thanks for reading
john

Edin Beslagic

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96
to ed...@orthreslab.ortho.bcm.tmc.edu

Joel Gaspar wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Dec 1996 16:24:35 -0500, Rausse the Wondersmurf
> <bd2...@binghamton.edu> wrote:
>

> > YOuthanasia was true to style? I never remember
> >Megadeth saying that their style of music had always been shit. I felt
> >that before that they wrote good melodic speed metal.
> >

> I totally agree. Youthanasia doesn't compare to Load

Metallica sold out -- I don't think MegadetH will ever! .. but then again,
Mustaine did stop Crown of Worms production in the states and sent the
unsold remainder to Japan.. most likely to extend his market to the
preps, wussies and other scum of the earth.. (good idea!)

KIMB was their first album! And it kicked ass absolutely. Peace
Sells has so much better guitar melodies, it just makes me puke at
Metallica's load of shit.

* for all you hot-blooded s.o.b.'s, I am quite aware of Mustaine's
religious and marital status .. this is just an alternative note..

Doesn't anyone remember *SPEED* songs like Rattlehead, Skull Beneath
the Skin, Mechanix and Chosen ones anymore? If Rattlehead didn't
*then* beat Metallica for all times, then my name is not really
Edin Beslagic and my e-mail address is not d...@flex.net

- Edin.

--
"The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them
before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them

Yakster

Dec 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/14/96
well i totally disagree.. maybe its cause i play guitar and i love
metallica riffs.. but Ronnie and Bleeding Me are awesome songs.. some
of the best that I have heard by them.. i've loved metallica since
puppets.. and when i first started playing guitar.. it was when the
black album came out.. and i loved it.. by the way the album is not
called "the load" its called "load".. :) but i agree.. its yer own
opinion...

yakster

Wilson Giles

Dec 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/14/96

Ludent.dei.uc.pt> <01bbe2e2$aa4119a0$213c18ce@hp-customer>
<Pine.SOL.L3.93.961210162316.4502A-100000@podsun21> <32afc3ba...@nntp.cts.com> <32B1D1...@flex.net>
Edin Beslagic (d...@flex.net) wrote:

: Joel Gaspar wrote:
: >
: > On Tue, 10 Dec 1996 16:24:35 -0500, Rausse the Wondersmurf
: > <bd2...@binghamton.edu> wrote:
: >
: > >
: > > YOuthanasia was true to style? I never remember
: > >Megadeth saying that their style of music had always been shit. I felt
: > >that before that they wrote good melodic speed metal.
: > >
: >
: > I totally agree. Youthanasia doesn't compare to Load

: Metallica sold out -- I don't think MegadetH will ever! .. but then again,
: Mustaine did stop Crown of Worms production in the states and sent the
: unsold remainder to Japan.. most likely to extend his market to the
: preps, wussies and other scum of the earth.. (good idea!)

People dont even know megadeth exist anymore, comon get a clue.

: KIMB was their first album! And it kicked ass absolutely. Peace

: Sells has so much better guitar melodies, it just makes me puke at
: Metallica's load of shit.

: * for all you hot-blooded s.o.b.'s, I am quite aware of Mustaine's
: religious and marital status .. this is just an alternative note..

: Doesn't anyone remember *SPEED* songs like Rattlehead, Skull Beneath
: the Skin, Mechanix and Chosen ones anymore? If Rattlehead didn't
: *then* beat Metallica for all times, then my name is not really
: Edin Beslagic and my e-mail address is not d...@flex.net

: - Edin.

: --
: "The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them
: before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them
: bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
: -Genghiz Khan

--

(oooo0)br...@computerpro.com
%)ad...@looser.erols.com

J. Newman

Dec 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/14/96
to dku...@ix.netcom.com

Some dude who knows what he's talkin' about wrote:

> They're going to kick the holy shit out
> of Metallica when they market their knew album. Screw Metallica, screw
> MTV, and screw all those who doubt that which is MEGADETH.

Amen, brother!
I agree 100% . . . I have this nagging feeling that when Megadeth's new
album comes out, it is gonna kick the living SHIT out of anything
Metallica's done in quite a while.
. . . and Megadeth definitely WON'T bow to trendy alterna-looks -or
licks!

James

Rogerio Brito

Dec 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/14/96

Rausse the Wondersmurf <bd2...@binghamton.edu> wrote:

> YOuthanasia was true to style? I never remember
>Megadeth saying that their style of music had always been shit. I felt
>that before that they wrote good melodic speed metal.

Ok.

People have been saying a lot about Youthanasia. I have
it and don't think it is a bad album. So, could you
*objectively* point what you don't like in that album?

I'm not interested in opinions like "it sucks", because
it doesn't give me anything that I didn't know before.

[]s, Roger...

Rogerio Brito - rbr...@ime.usp.br - http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito
"Master, Master, where's the dreams that I've been after?
Master, Master, you promised only lies!
Laughter, laughter, all I hear or see is laughter.
Laughter, laughter, laughing at my cries."
James Hetfield (Metallica), Master of Puppets

MattMcP

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

Personally, I like both Metallica and Megadeth... Just my opinion.

"Don't believe everything you read." - Kurt Cobain

Rausse the Wondersmurf

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96
to Yakster

Ronnie is one of the biggest disgraces of a song
I've ever heard. It doesn't get much worse. And yes I do play guitar.
This wannabe Aerosmith song just doesn't cut it. Unoriginality here we
come. Bleeding Me ain't bad. Kind of boring. Needs to pick up a bit
before the end.

It is loading more messages.