New Album - SENJUUTSU

Blueshirt

Jul 20, 2021, 11:36:08 AM7/20/21
IRON MAIDEN announce their new studio album, SENJUTDSU, to be released
on September 3rd.

For Senjutsu – loosely translated as ‘tactics & strategy’, the band once
again enlisted the services of Mark Wilkinson to create the spectacular
Samurai themed cover artwork, based on an idea by Steve Harris. And with
a running time of a little under 82 minutes, Senjutsu, like their
previous record The Book Of Souls, will be a double CD album/triple
vinyl album.

Steve says "We chose to record at Guillaume Tell Studio in France again
as the place has such a relaxed vibe. The setup there is perfect for our
needs; the building used to be a cinema and has a really high ceiling so
there’s a great acoustic sound. We recorded this album in the same way
we did The Book Of Souls in that we’d write a song, rehearse it and then
put it down together straight away while it was all fresh in our minds.
There’s some very complex songs on this album which took a lot of hard
work to get them exactly as we wanted them to sound, so the process was
at times very challenging, but Kevin is great at capturing the essence
of the band and I think it was worth the effort! I’m very proud of the
result and can’t wait for fans to hear it."

Bruce Dickinson continues, "We’re all really excited about this album.
We recorded it back in early 2019 during a break in the Legacy tour so
we could maximize our touring yet still have a long set up period before
release to prepare great album art and something special as a video. Of
course the pandemic delayed things more - so much for the best laid
plans – or should that be ‘strategies’!? The songs are very varied, and
some of them are quite long. There’s also one or two songs which sound
pretty different to our usual style, and I think Maiden fans will be
surprised - in a good way, I hope!"

The full tracklisting is:

1. Senjutsu (Smith/Harris) 8:20
2. Stratego (Gers/Harris) 4:59
3. The Writing On The Wall (Smith/Dickinson) 6:13
4. Lost In A Lost World (Harris) 9:31
5. Days Of Future Past (Smith/Dickinson) 4:03
6. The Time Machine (Gers/Harris) 7:09
7. Darkest Hour (Smith/Dickinson) 7:20
8. Death Of The Celts (Harris) 10:20
9. The Parchment (Harris) 12:39
10. Hell On Earth (Harris) 11:19

Scall5

Jul 21, 2021, 7:38:50 PM7/21/21
On 7/20/2021 10:36 AM, Blueshirt wrote:
> IRON MAIDEN announce their new studio album, SENJUTDSU, to be released
> on September 3rd.

I am very excited about this! I will buy it on September 3.

However, if I may, I am disappointed in the cover. I wish the album
covers for Book of Souls and now Senjutsu had the previous background
elements that we long-term fans loved to analyze. Old school am I...

Up the Irons!
--
---------------
Scall5

Blueshirt

Jul 22, 2021, 6:57:35 PM7/22/21
Scall5 wrote:

> On 7/20/2021 10:36 AM, Blueshirt wrote:
> > IRON MAIDEN announce their new studio album, SENJUTSU, to be released
> > on September 3rd.
>
> I am very excited about this! I will buy it on September 3.
>
> However, if I may, I am disappointed in the cover. I wish the album
> covers for Book of Souls and now Senjutsu had the previous background
> elements that we long-term fans loved to analyze. Old school am I...

I'm very excited about this album, it's been a long time coming. "The
Writing on the Wall" was the first new Iron Maiden song we've had in six
years! So my apettite for more Maiden has been well and truly whetted ...
roll on September 3rd.

I actually like the cover, it has a "Maiden in Japan" vibe to it, Eddie
with a Samurai sword and all that ... I can't wait to get the vinyl LP
version of Senjutsu in my hands so I can lovingly admire the cover in
great detail.

Scall5

Sep 12, 2021, 12:41:33 PM9/12/21
How do you like it so far? I only have listened to each CD twice, so i
am still making up my mind. Of course anything by Maiden is great in my
book.
--
---------------
Scall5

Blueshirt

Sep 12, 2021, 3:57:43 PM9/12/21
On 12/09/2021 17:41, Scall5 wrote:
> On 7/22/2021 5:57 PM, Blueshirt wrote:
>>
>> I'm very excited about this album, it's been a long time coming. "The
>> Writing on the Wall" was the first new Iron Maiden song we've had in six
>> years! So my apettite for more Maiden has been well and truly whetted ...
>> roll on September 3rd.
>
> How do you like it so far?  I only have listened to each CD twice, so i
> am still making up my mind.  Of course anything by Maiden is great in my
> book.

I think "Senjutsu" is quite a good album, very progressive in ways but
not too dissimilar to "The Book of Souls" in that it has some epic
[long] songs on it, and it really rocks. My favourite tracks at the
moment are; "Hell on Earth", "The Parchment" and "Days of Future Past"
but it's a powerful album all round. I'm enjoying it.

Scall5

Sep 18, 2021, 11:37:36 PM9/18/21
Currently I am digging "Darkest Hour" and "Death of the Celts" a LOT.
Darkest Hour is long enough, yet short enough, to make me wanting more
from that tune. "Death of the Celts" has a magical feel to it.

I do wonder why the synths are so prominent when Maiden has three GREAT
guitarist's in the band.

Ultimately, I like "Book of Souls" more than this album. Many more
straight edged rock songs on it before and between the prog-ish songs;
which makes it a more exciting listening experience.
--
Scall5