power ballads

1 view

Dr. Hypermodern

Jun 21, 2001, 3:58:32 PM6/21/01
did any of you like these songs when they came out?
i remember a couple from some school dances

1.Bon Jovi "Always"
2.Journey "Open Arms"
3.Aerosmith "Dream On"
4.Def Leppard "Love Bites"
5.Guns N' Roses "Don't Cry"
6.Poison "Every Rose Has Its Thorn"
7.Extreme "More Than Words"
8.Skid Row "I Remember You"
9.Heart "Alone"
10.Warrant "Heaven"
11.Van Halen "When It's Love"
12.The Scorprions "Still Loving You"
13.Kiss "Forever"
14.Mr. Big "To Be With You"
15.Styx "Babe"
16.Tesla "Love Song"
17.Motley Crue "Home Sweet Home"
18.Cheap Trick "The Flame"
19.Night Ranger "Sister Christian"
20.Whitesnake "Is This Love"

Temp8870

Jun 21, 2001, 5:54:17 PM6/21/01
Some. Here's the thoughts and memories that come to mind. For the Middle School
songs, we were LISTENING to old songs. It wasn't the time when they came out...

> 1.Bon Jovi "Always"

Don't really know it.

> 2.Journey "Open Arms"

5th grade... me and this other kid being the only ones in school to solve the
Rubiks Cube in lightening speed

> 3.Aerosmith "Dream On"

7th grade. Hanging out on "The Corner" in middle school... smokin' cigarettes
and skipping school.

> 4.Def Leppard "Love Bites"

Yes. But no memories in particular,

> 5.Guns N' Roses "Don't Cry"

1991... age 21... Thinking of Susie, "that life sucking bitch for which there
is no Escape" (Armageddon)

> 6.Poison "Every Rose Has Its Thorn"

1989 New Orleans. Sluts everywhere... getting my dick sucked outside of a Metal
club called "Dino's." 25 cent draft beers... we called it "Quarter Water"
night.

> 7.Extreme "More Than Words"

1993 in New York City... my brother and his friend Ari covering that song with
perfection.

> 8.Skid Row "I Remember You"

New Orleans again... 1989, thinking of the life sucking bitch again.

> 9.Heart "Alone"

Don't really recall that one either.

> 10.Warrant "Heaven"

Another I can't recall.

> 11.Van Halen "When It's Love"

Can't recall the year I was hearing it. But I DO recall thinking, "Where the
fuck is Dave!?"

> 12.The Scorprions "Still Loving You"

Same time as above in middle school hanging out on "The Corner"

> 13.Kiss "Forever"

Can't place that one either.

> 14.Mr. Big "To Be With You"

Another New York 1993'ish... again my brother and Ari covering that one with
perfection. Ari was a good singer.

> 15.Styx "Babe"

Elementary school... no "Babe" to think about yet. I think I was starting to
use the Apple IIC computer with that Rubik's Cube friend.

> 16.Tesla "Love Song"

Don't know it,

> 17.Motley Crue "Home Sweet Home"

More New Orleans.

> 18.Cheap Trick "The Flame"

Don't know it.

> 19.Night Ranger "Sister Christian"

More New Orleans

> 20.Whitesnake "Is This Love"

Don't know it.

----
"He had a cigarette holder in one hand and a wine glass in the other... and he
was saying something about his voice bothering him"

CHUNK

Jun 22, 2001, 4:17:45 AM6/22/01
I can't believe "Sweet Child O' Mine" isn't in the top 5!!!??! Probably one
of the greatest power/ballad ever written, played and recorded by a
band...seriously!

CHUNK
(it's also my favorite...)

"Dr. Hypermodern" <drhype...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

DarthPuck99

Jun 22, 2001, 3:36:41 PM6/22/01
>I can't believe "Sweet Child O' Mine" isn't in the top 5!!!??!

They probably just didn't want 2 songs by the same band. And Sweet Child always
gets so much attention anyway, it was good to see another (better) song get the
spotlight for once. Everybody always wants to pretend Appetite was the better
album and all of GNR's good songs (except Patience and Nov. Rain) are on there,
but the Use Your Illusion set shows such maturity and is far better than
Appetite. Appetite's great, but UYI is near-perfect.

Eric Matsuda

Jun 22, 2001, 5:29:18 PM6/22/01

Every song on the list is AWESOME Except maybe the Van Hagar tune. I'd
say I got into most of these songs within the last four years. The only
ones I remember from when they came out were Always, To Be With You, More
Than Words and Don't Cry. And of course I knew Dream On for a while, that
should've been #1. The Journey song, I might have heard Mariah Carey's
version first...

--
Eric

Bazza

Jun 22, 2001, 5:35:07 PM6/22/01
i dont know about everyone else but i dont think i would call dream on a
power ballad, was it not before the rise of power ballads

awol

Jun 22, 2001, 11:13:32 PM6/22/01
I consider "Dream On" to be the first popular power ballad.

Bazza <bar...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Jakkal Maharani of Assholes

Jun 24, 2001, 1:57:23 AM6/24/01

I share the same view....though I really love SCOM (I think it gets over-played
though).

Jakkal
"Don't cater to trends. Don't be satisfied with mediocrity just because that
seems to be successful." -- Jason Becker
http://members.tripod.com/~PeanutChew/index.html WUSSNET!!!!!!!111!11

Rosners

Jun 25, 2001, 12:39:04 PM6/25/01

"Dr. Hypermodern" <drhype...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I remember each and every one of those songs,I'm 35 now,oh I remember being
into the band from Germany so much,(the Scorpions)One of my X's was a big
Journey fan,I liked them too.Every one of those songs on your list brings
back memories of being young,I saw"Skid Row" open for GunsN'Roses in 91',I
saw Aerosmith when I was like 12,I went with my older stepbrother,I
saw"Cheap Trick"when I was about 14.Shit,thanks for making that list...so
many good memories.
Stacey

DarkSunMoon

Jun 26, 2001, 4:25:49 AM6/26/01

Wow, you sure went to an awful lot of concerts!
up to now, the only show I went to that you might actually have heard of is
the Slash's Snakepit-AC/DC one in Montréal...
If I had more money or if I didn't live so far from the metropole, I might
have seen more...
The songs I know out of that list are Always, Dream On, Don't Cry, Every
Rose Has Its Thorns (Beurk!), I Remember You, Heaven and Is This Love...

Rosners

Jun 26, 2001, 12:47:27 PM6/26/01
> > I remember each and every one of those songs,I'm 35 now,oh I remember
> being
> > into the band from Germany so much,(the Scorpions)One of my X's was a
big
> > Journey fan,I liked them too.Every one of those songs on your list
brings
> > back memories of being young,I saw"Skid Row" open for GunsN'Roses in
91',I
> > saw Aerosmith when I was like 12,I went with my older stepbrother,I
> > saw"Cheap Trick"when I was about 14.Shit,thanks for making that
list...so
> > many good memories.
> > Stacey
>

> Wow, you sure went to an awful lot of concerts!
> up to now, the only show I went to that you might actually have heard of
is
> the Slash's Snakepit-AC/DC one in Montréal...
> If I had more money or if I didn't live so far from the metropole, I might
> have seen more...
> The songs I know out of that list are Always, Dream On, Don't Cry, Every
> Rose Has Its Thorns (Beurk!), I Remember You, Heaven and Is This Love...

I actually saw"Skid Row" open for GN'R twice,but that was two nights in a
row,(at the L.A. Forum).I really don't think,(myself)that I've been to a lot
of concerts,because the ones I went to before GN'R concerts were just to say
that I went,(do you know what I mean?)Except for Pink Floyd.I saw them when
I was 15 too,but I went because I really wanted to see them.
I've seen GN'R 4 times at concerts and I was invited to a little club in
L.A. to see them,(aj.was going to fly out to L.A.to go with me but he
couldn't make it because he had taken so much time off of work to see
GN'R).Oh I tried to get Pam to go with me,but her husband didn't trust us
together,so I just didn't go.I didn't want to go by myself,I really
should've because afterwards I heard it was a"fucking blast"!I've only seen
one band since my last GN'R concert in 93'at Sacramento,and that was
Rush,man they're fucking amazing.
Power Ballads,I really like that song Ozzy and Lita Ford did
together(Close Your Eyes).They sound good together.
Stacey

Catman the Great

Jun 26, 2001, 1:16:04 PM6/26/01
> did any of you like these songs when they came out?

A lot of them are pretty hard to forget, in the same way being savagely
beaten by a pigmy cannibal would be hard to forget.

> 1.Bon Jovi "Always"
> 4.Def Leppard "Love Bites"

> 6.Poison "Every Rose Has Its Thorn"

> 9.Heart "Alone"
> 10.Warrant "Heaven"
> 11.Van Halen "When It's Love"

> 13.Kiss "Forever"
> 14.Mr. Big "To Be With You"
> 15.Styx "Babe"

> 19.Night Ranger "Sister Christian"
> 20.Whitesnake "Is This Love"

The bands that put out these songs should all be tried in front of the UN
War Crimes Tribunal after they're finished with that guy from Serbia, as
making people listen to them is obviously a crime against humanity.

With Regards,
Catman the Great

--
©2001 This message is the sole property of Catman the Great and the
Icelandic Viking Revival FoundationT

Holtz

Jun 26, 2001, 3:33:28 PM6/26/01

Catman the Great wrote:

> > did any of you like these songs when they came out?
>
> A lot of them are pretty hard to forget, in the same way being savagely
> beaten by a pigmy cannibal would be hard to forget.
>
> > 1.Bon Jovi "Always"
> > 4.Def Leppard "Love Bites"
> > 6.Poison "Every Rose Has Its Thorn"
> > 9.Heart "Alone"
> > 10.Warrant "Heaven"
> > 11.Van Halen "When It's Love"
> > 13.Kiss "Forever"
> > 14.Mr. Big "To Be With You"
> > 15.Styx "Babe"
> > 19.Night Ranger "Sister Christian"
> > 20.Whitesnake "Is This Love"
>
> The bands that put out these songs should all be tried in front of the UN
> War Crimes Tribunal after they're finished with that guy from Serbia, as
> making people listen to them is obviously a crime against humanity.
>
> With Regards,
> Catman the Great

Ki$$ defintaley needs to be charged with crimes against humanity, god I hate
that band. I would rather listen to any of the songs above, except #13, then
any shitty song by Ki$$. Did I mention I hate that band.

Holtz.

Catman the Great

Jun 26, 2001, 4:37:35 PM6/26/01
> Ki$$ defintaley needs to be charged with crimes against humanity, god I
hate
> that band. I would rather listen to any of the songs above, except #13,
then
> any shitty song by Ki$$. Did I mention I hate that band.

It still amazes me that a band so totally inept at writing music could get
as huge as Kiss did. There were a lot of groups in the 1980's who were close
to being as bad, but few ever quite got that far.

With Regards,
Catman the Great

DarkSunMoon

Jun 27, 2001, 4:22:58 AM6/27/01

"Rosners" <aro...@indy.rr.com> wrote in message

Yes, I had an mp3 of that, very cool duet and the song is nice :)
Probably one of the only Ozzy song that lyrics aren't about drug abuse! ;P
Well, I went to my first concert when I was 16 or maybe I'd just turned 17,
I don't the exact date it was...RAT, what was the date, already? (I went
with him and Brainless314). Anyways, it was my first concert except for
Karma's (Karma is a local band and their drummer was in the same dance troup
as me, his sister was in my class and he was in my sister's and their
saxophonist gave my sister lift to and from college. They're awesome, too
bad they only do covers!!!)
D§M :)

Rosners

Jun 27, 2001, 2:27:06 PM6/27/01

> Yes, I had an mp3 of that, very cool duet and the song is nice :)
> Probably one of the only Ozzy song that lyrics aren't about drug abuse! ;P
> Well, I went to my first concert when I was 16 or maybe I'd just turned
17,
> I don't the exact date it was...RAT, what was the date, already? (I went
> with him and Brainless314). Anyways, it was my first concert except for
> Karma's (Karma is a local band and their drummer was in the same dance
troup
> as me, his sister was in my class and he was in my sister's and their
> saxophonist gave my sister lift to and from college. They're awesome, too
> bad they only do covers!!!)
> D§M :)

I have always loved Ozzy,I think my favorite album of his was,"Diary Of A
Madman,"I like the songs"Crazy Train"and "Mr.Crowley,"(that's a pretty dark
song)though,they're from"Blizzard Of Ozz"I can't believe you don't like Ozzy
because most of his songs are about drug abuse,and "GunsN'Rose's did no
songs about alcohol or drug abuse",that's pretty funny..........
There is a record store out here called"Karma",I don't know where else
there are"Karma"record stores,is that where they got their name?They're
going to have to probably change their name if they ever write their own
material and get big,even if they didn't get their name from a record store
in the states,the courts will still see it as"copyright infringement".

Stacey

Phil

Jun 27, 2001, 2:50:09 PM6/27/01

> there are"Karma"record stores,is that where they got their name?They're
> going to have to probably change their name if they ever write their own
> material and get big,even if they didn't get their name from a record
store
> in the states,the courts will still see it as"copyright infringement".

You cant just copyright a well used word like karma! ...if they did, there'd
be about 500 million pissed off Buddhists!

Rosners

Jun 27, 2001, 8:58:02 PM6/27/01

"Phil" <Ph...@austinp.screaming.net> wrote in message
> I guess you're right,I knew I've heard that word somewhere else
before,but Buddhists and karma...I guess I just didn't make the
connection,"Wow Mr.Obvious, thanks for enlightening me."!
Stacey

DarkSunMoon

Jun 28, 2001, 12:11:42 PM6/28/01

> > Yes, I had an mp3 of that, very cool duet and the song is nice :)
> > Probably one of the only Ozzy song that lyrics aren't about drug abuse!
;P
> > Well, I went to my first concert when I was 16 or maybe I'd just turned
> 17, I don't the exact date it was...RAT, what was the date, already? (I
went
> > with him and Brainless314). Anyways, it was my first concert except for
> > Karma's (Karma is a local band and their drummer was in the same dance
> troup as me, his sister was in my class and he was in my sister's and
their
> > saxophonist gave my sister lift to and from college. They're awesome,
too
> > bad they only do covers!!!)
> > D冶 :)

> I have always loved Ozzy,I think my favorite album of his was,"Diary Of
> Madman,"I like the songs"Crazy Train"and "Mr.Crowley,"(that's a pretty
dark
> song)though,they're from"Blizzard Of Ozz"I can't believe you don't like
Ozzy
> because most of his songs are about drug abuse,and "GunsN'Rose's did no
> songs about alcohol or drug abuse",that's pretty funny..........
> There is a record store out here called"Karma",I don't know where else
> there are"Karma"record stores,is that where they got their name?They're
> going to have to probably change their name if they ever write their own
> material and get big,even if they didn't get their name from a record
store
> in the states,the courts will still see it as"copyright infringement".
> >
> Stacey

Stacey, When did I ever say I don't like Ozzy?!? I didn't, I just compared
that song to his others... He's a very dark guy, but I somehow feel
connected to him because he became friends with the guy who bullied him in
school (Sabbath's guitarist, Tommy Iomi) like I did... I just don't know
what drives us to do that, but tending the other cheek can sometimes
advantage us... They took their name from the religion class, I suppose,
because we learn about catholicism and bouddhism and hindouism and all..
Interesting course... I suppose the took that name because it means "fate"
and "fates" were always inspiring for musicians...Sometimes, when they don't
have their female singer, they introduce themselves as "In Voice +".
D冶 :)

Rosners

Jun 28, 2001, 12:41:08 PM6/28/01

"DarkSunMoon" <darks...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Sorry Karolyne,I thought the way you put"probably one of the only Ozzy
songs where the lyrics aren't about drug abuse""Like it was a bad thing."I
just misinterpreted you,but that's my fault,sorry.
Stacey

Rosners

Jun 28, 2001, 6:21:22 PM6/28/01

> That's right,aj.took me to Conseco to see AC/DC,it's just that I tried to
block it out of my memory because Snakepit opened,although it was great
seeing Slash again,Rod sounded like shit!
Stacey

Holtz

Jun 28, 2001, 9:00:44 PM6/28/01

Rosners wrote:

> > That's right,aj.took me to Conseco to see AC/DC,it's just that I tried to
> block it out of my memory because Snakepit opened,although it was great
> seeing Slash again,Rod sounded like shit!
> Stacey

I'm going to see Slash next tuesday, two days after I see Matt with the Cult,
hopefully Rod won't bother me as much as he did when I saw them open for AC/DC.
I think this show will be tons better because it will be all Slash fans in a
smaller venue so Rod won't have to try and win over a couple thousand people who
are pissed that Ac/Dc isn't playing yet.

Holtz.

DarkSunMoon

Jun 28, 2001, 11:09:47 PM6/28/01

> "DarkSunMoon" <darks...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Stacey, When did I ever say I don't like Ozzy?!? I didn't, I just
compared
> > that song to his others... He's a very dark guy, but I somehow feel
> > connected to him because he became friends with the guy who bullied him
in
> > school (Sabbath's guitarist, Tommy Iomi) like I did... I just don't know
> > what drives us to do that, but tending the other cheek can sometimes
> > advantage us... They took their name from the religion class, I suppose,
> > because we learn about catholicism and bouddhism and hindouism and all..
> > Interesting course... I suppose the took that name because it means
"fate"
> > and "fates" were always inspiring for musicians...Sometimes, when they
> don't
> > have their female singer, they introduce themselves as "In Voice +".
> > D冶 :)
> >
> > Sorry Karolyne,I thought the way you put"probably one of the only Ozzy
> songs where the lyrics aren't about drug abuse""Like it was a bad thing."I
> just misinterpreted you,but that's my fault,sorry.
> Stacey

LOL, I thought so... I forgive you! [Why do people always take my little
remarks so negatively? I wonder...]
;) D冶

DarkSunMoon

Jun 28, 2001, 11:13:44 PM6/28/01

> > That's right,aj.took me to Conseco to see AC/DC,it's just that I tried
> block it out of my memory because Snakepit opened,although it was great
> seeing Slash again,Rod sounded like shit!
> Stacey

Yes, AC/DC had the soundsystem adjusted for their song, but not for
Snakepit's... I think the only song that wasn't so bad was Shine... It's
about the only song I remembered when I got out that night...Except for
wondering why AC/DC started with "You Shook Me All Night Long" and ended
with "For Those About To Rock, We Salute You"... Had it been for me, I would
have switched them, it would have made more sense...
:) D冶

Rosners

Jun 29, 2001, 12:53:43 PM6/29/01

> Yes, AC/DC had the soundsystem adjusted for their song, but not for
> Snakepit's... I think the only song that wasn't so bad was Shine... It's
> about the only song I remembered when I got out that night...Except for
> wondering why AC/DC started with "You Shook Me All Night Long" and ended
> with "For Those About To Rock, We Salute You"... Had it been for me, I
would
> have switched them, it would have made more sense...
> :) D冶
>
> Well Karolyne,maybe you should be in charge of their setlist,it would've
made more sense for them to switch those 2 songs.AC/DC is so cool to watch
on stage,Angus climbs up on everything on the stage.
I also like to watch Slash run around on stage when he plays,but I kept
expecting to hear Axl's voice.After hearing Rod sing,I just can't imagine
him even sounding a little bit better,"I'm tellin' ya,he just sucks!"
Stacey

Muffin Man

Jul 6, 2001, 4:06:00 PM7/6/01
What about the word mini? Well if you can copyright the word mini (as BMW
appear to have done) you can copyright the word karma. Just out of interest
there is an artist called Fish Karma who has done some really good stuff
like '(she likes to make love) to Led Zeppelin' and 'Good Advice'. He has a
very strange voice.....

Muffin Man

Muffin Man

Jul 6, 2001, 4:12:05 PM7/6/01
He was really good in Sheffield. I hadn't heard any of the stuff when I saw
them (the album was out in this country by about a week and I was skint).
They rocked, had the crowd on side with no support and only played one GN'R
cover. They were a really tight act.....

Muffin Man

PS wish I had seen AC/DC though....

> > Yes, AC/DC had the soundsystem adjusted for their song, but not for
> > Snakepit's... I think the only song that wasn't so bad was Shine... It's
> > about the only song I remembered when I got out that night...Except for
> > wondering why AC/DC started with "You Shook Me All Night Long" and ended
> > with "For Those About To Rock, We Salute You"... Had it been for me, I
> would
> > have switched them, it would have made more sense...

> > :) D§M

Axl Rose

Jul 9, 2001, 12:56:08 AM7/9/01
I copyrighted my penis. That way nobody can steal it from me.

--Guns N' Roses Forever