Death Metal Bands

satanict...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2017, 7:19:53 AM2/15/17
I listen to a ton of death metal bands but the cream of the crop (at least for me) include:

Death
Obituary
Suffocation
Cannibal Corpse
Six Feet Under
Deicide
Morbid Angel
Internal Bleeding
Carcass
Malevolent Creation
Napalm Death
Pestilence

Rainer Weikusat

Feb 15, 2017, 8:20:12 PM2/15/17
satanict...@gmail.com writes:
> I listen to a ton of death metal bands but the cream of the crop (at least for me) include:
>
> Death

How people can stand Mr Chuck is quite beyond me. The band could go
through as not particularly original death metal band but as soon as he
starts soloing, that's just "I'm so gay! I'm so gay! I'm so terribly
gay!' and on my side, it goes "I don't care. I don't care. I so terribly
don't care!" and I usually switch it off at that point.

Mercyless (the French band) had a new album out last year. That's
roughly in this style and might be worth having a look at (they're
better than the other two Death-like bands I know of, Undead
[Prophecies] and Gruesome [says it all]).

[...]

> Pestilence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXuj7ukzwUs

I have to admit I'm a bit of a sucker for debuts as that's often the
best a band will ever record. Any new bands you like? There's something
named 'Altered Dead' from British Columbia (two piece) which pretty cool
release not that long ago, for instance.

(this text written with the friendly help of "Kult/ Unleashed from
dismal light").

satanict...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2017, 10:15:20 AM2/16/17
On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 8:20:12 PM UTC-5, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> How people can stand Mr Chuck is quite beyond me. The band could go
> through as not particularly original death metal band but as soon as he
> starts soloing, that's just "I'm so gay! I'm so gay! I'm so terribly
> gay!' and on my side, it goes "I don't care. I don't care. I so terribly
> don't care!" and I usually switch it off at that point.
>
> Mercyless (the French band) had a new album out last year. That's
> roughly in this style and might be worth having a look at (they're
> better than the other two Death-like bands I know of, Undead
> [Prophecies] and Gruesome [says it all]).
>
> [...]

So you don't like Death. What bands do you consider to be the best of the death metal bunch?

Rainer Weikusat

Feb 16, 2017, 1:29:01 PM2/16/17
"Best"? I have no idea. There are too many I don't know.

Older bands, Grave, Asphyx, Pestilence. Carnage and Incantation seem quite
good, too, but I know to little of them. And Sadistic Intent. Saw them
live on 2016/12/31 and that was quite a mind-altering experience.

Newer bands, what I'm listenting to most at the moment (not counting
black metal) is Altered Dead, Vitriol, Ectovoid and Vacivus. The so-far
best newer death metal band I've encountered (Obscene Entity)
unfortunately fell to pieces after seriously chaotic debut album release
and a single gig, with the two core members drifing off into 'hipper'
sort-of black metal projects.

satanict...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2017, 8:07:46 AM2/17/17
I like Grave, Ashpyx and Incantation. I haven't heard the other bands you mention. I also listen to a lot of melodic death like old In Flames.

My favorite Pestilence album is Malleus Malificarum. Classic stuff!

Rainer Weikusat

Feb 18, 2017, 1:25:31 PM2/18/17
satanict...@gmail.com writes:
> On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 1:29:01 PM UTC-5, Rainer Weikusat wrote:

[...]

>> "Best"? I have no idea. There are too many I don't know.
>>
>> Older bands, Grave, Asphyx, Pestilence. Carnage and Incantation seem quite
>> good, too, but I know to little of them. And Sadistic Intent. Saw them
>> live on 2016/12/31 and that was quite a mind-altering experience.
>>
>> Newer bands, what I'm listenting to most at the moment (not counting
>> black metal) is Altered Dead, Vitriol, Ectovoid and Vacivus. The so-far
>> best newer death metal band I've encountered (Obscene Entity)
>> unfortunately fell to pieces after seriously chaotic debut album release
>> and a single gig, with the two core members drifing off into 'hipper'
>> sort-of black metal projects.
>
> I like Grave, Ashpyx and Incantation. I haven't heard the other bands
> you mention.

Carnage is what later became Dismember. They're a reportedly famous
Swedish death metal band (which sounds like a totally boring Entombed
clone to me --- and I'm a lot less fascinated by Entombed as I used to
be). I've listened to a bit of the sole Carnage album online and that
was as close to perfection is it can possibly get.

Altered Dead is a two-piece band from some Island in Canada releasing a
debut on a UK indie-label last year. This takes some getting used to
because it's mostly bass-less. There's something like a three note proto
solo in one of the tracks but apart from that, it's only riffs, drumming
and vocals. I'm not so good at describing this but I definitely like it.

Vitriol is another two-piece, from Germany this time. They released a
demo last year and the Hellthrasher (Polish Indie-label) guy released
that on CD this year. That's again pretty inaccessible music and with a
seriously 'lo-fi'-production (not that this hurts).

Ectovoid is an American band whose most recent record was released in
2015. That's much more intricate music than the other two. The guitar
playing is remarkable as it's almost like listening to someone telling a
story in an unknown but familiar language.

Vacivus is a 'blackened death metal' (whatever) band from the North of
England. Hellthrasher released an EP of them. They have an excellent,
inventive lead guitar player.

All of these have strong riffs with purposeful development,
a dark, sinister overall feel and worthwhile drumming.

NB: That's my entirely insignificant opinion and people who are much
more convinced of their superior musical understanding think very
differently.

> I also listen to a lot of melodic death like old In Flames.

Brrr ....

By historical accident, I missed all of 'melodical death metal' and I'm
absolutely not unhappy about that.

satanict...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2017, 7:27:44 AM2/20/17
I'm in my 40s so I tend to reach for the old guard when it comes to death metal. I've listened to some newer bands on band camp.

I really need to check out more new stuff, just being a creature of habit I reach for those Massacre and Autopsy discs over checking out newer bands.

I did hear a couple of bands called Coprocephalic and Carnal Decay on bandcamp that were pretty good for brutal death metal.

Rainer Weikusat

Feb 21, 2017, 7:41:00 PM2/21/17
satanict...@gmail.com writes:
> On Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 1:25:31 PM UTC-5, Rainer Weikusat wrote:

[list of newer bands]

> I'm in my 40s so I tend to reach for the old guard when it comes to
> death metal. I've listened to some newer bands on band camp.

*shrug* ... I'll be 45 this year. OTOH, I don't know much of 'the old
guard' because my practical first involvement with metal ended on the
grounds of "impossible to buy this stuff" in 1991, IOW, before death
metal became so hugely popular that it could have made an impact on
remote, rural areas of Germany, and what I could do before that was
severely limited by both lack of money and inaccessibility in
pre-internet days.

I harbour some fond memories of a Grave demo I once borrowed from a
friend,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ULPd56GNXA

Grave is still a very cool band. I also like the 2015 album.

> I really need to check out more new stuff, just being a creature of
> habit I reach for those Massacre and Autopsy discs over checking out
> newer bands.

There's an intimidating amount of crap out there, especially in music
stores: Metal has become hugely popular in the meantime but this means
it also acquired all kinds of less-than-wonderful traits of 'more
popular music'. But there's plenty of good stuff, that's just a matter
of finding it. Youtube seems like a good resource.

> I did hear a couple of bands called Coprocephalic and Carnal Decay on
> bandcamp that were pretty good for brutal death metal.

"Holy deathcore, Batman!".

I've acquired a few of these things (Abhorrent Decimation, Wormed,
Abnormality, $shall_not_be_named_here) while I was still
looking what had happened in the last 25 years and what of it I could
possibly like. But this staccato-music is not for me: That's simplified
rhythms for clumsy people with (physically or spiritually) ugly
girl-friends.

satanict...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2017, 7:27:29 AM2/24/17
You got me, I do like some deathcore. Not all of it but some.

Do you have any recommendations for newer technical death metal bands I should check out?

Rainer Weikusat

Feb 27, 2017, 10:58:07 AM2/27/17
satanict...@gmail.com writes:

[...]

> Do you have any recommendations for newer technical death metal bands
> I should check out?

Difficult question as "technical death metal" means a lot of different
things. Further, I don't really like this style myself, I just
transitioned through it.

Some things I bought I'm not unhappy about despite I currently don't
listen to them anymore:

More brutal:
-----------

Wormed (Spain) 2016 album,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bqb_b1UOnQ

Abnormality 2016 ablum,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEtRaoDKQhk

More jazzy (it's really classical and not Jazz influences):

Gorod 2016 album,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ir7SJ2DXM

I wouldn't call this death metal but it's cool music.

I also suggest staying clear of Obscura despite they're rather a "big
name band". Unless you're very fond of 'common practice era' harmonies
and "new age"-style "depth".

Somewhat technical death/ thrash metal band I actually do still listen to:

Repulsive Aggression 2015 album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDnpaphBxgI

That's somewhat remarkable because it's an offspring of Svartjern which
is as horrible a 'current' Norwegian black metal band as one could
imagine.

satanict...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2017, 8:32:54 AM3/6/17
I liked all of those bands. I guess I'm easy to please. I like such a wide array of hard rock and heavy metal of all persuasions

Rainer Weikusat

Mar 11, 2017, 11:00:33 AM3/11/17
satanict...@gmail.com writes:
> On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 10:58:07 AM UTC-5, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> satanict...@gmail.com writes:

[...]

>> Wormed (Spain) 2016 album,

[...]

>> Abnormality 2016 ablum,

[...]

>> Gorod 2016 album,

[...]

>> Repulsive Aggression 2015 album:

[...]

> I liked all of those bands. I guess I'm easy to please. I like such a
> wide array of hard rock and heavy metal of all persuasions

While I'm decidedly not really in love with traditional, European
(orchestra) music, I'm not easy to please. This is all really good
stuff, just (minus the latter) not quite what I was looking for.

There's generally nothing wrong with liking stuff. With a negative
disposition towards everything, one just ends up with mind wrinkles and
there's not botox for these[*].

Some more nice things:

Seriously underground and enjoyingly primitive band from northern
England,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXyxB-lBNA8

there's a slight tinge of hip hop in there but not to an annyoing
degree.

Turkish band about to have a debut out this month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM1rrm7B9nQ

I don't really know this yet but sounds good so far. There's some
interesting stuff going on in the drumming. The overall style is one
other people would presumably call Incantaclone.

[*] One of the better real-world jokes: That's really botulinum and its
effect is that it paralyzes muscles: After some (typically female)
person spent an odd 30 years with angrily staring at everything and
everyone "just in case", she has thoroughly trained her autonomous
nerve system to do that on its own, hence, the "evil witch about to
murder someone" facial expression becomes permanent. Face muscle
paralysis to the rescue!

Tempestuous Might

Mar 26, 2017, 2:36:05 AM3/26/17
my top DM albums ever:

1. Sororicide- The Entity
2. At the Gates- The Red in the Sky is Ours
3. Deicide- Legion/Deicide(I can't just pick one)
4. Disembowelment- Transcendence into the Peripheral
5. Morbid Angel- Altars of Madness
6. Obituary- Cause of Death
7. Immolation- Dawn of Possession
8. Suffocation- Piercing the Spawn
9. Incantation- Onward to Golgotha
10. Atrocity- Todessesehnsucht
11. Demigod- Slumber of Sullen Eyes
12. Autopsy- Severed Survival
13. Imprecation- Theurgia Goetia Summa
14. Infester- To the Depths in Degradation
15. Paradise Lost- Lost Paradise
16. Ceremonium- Into the Autumn Shade
17. Gorement- The Ending Quest
18. Massacra- Final Holocaust