Todays East Anglian Daily Times

John Benton

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
With the EADT being Rex's Local paper (and mine) we
seem to get a lot of articles about the various things that
Rex Garrod does in the area (He doesn't just build
robots you know)

But today we got a big article about what Rex thinks of
Mentorns safety procedures.

Phew... Its pretty juicy stuff. I'll see if the EADT puts
any articles online... their website is www.ecn.co.uk
if you want a peek.

Did this appear in any other paper?

Richard

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
Could you send me a copy if you find it, I just went to their site and it
was full of errors!

I'd like to read that article.
Thanks

John Benton <j...@pemail.net> wrote in message

Adam Clark

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
The Daily Mirror ran a similar thing at
http://www.mirror.co.uk/shtml/NEWS/P25S2.shtml

Adam

--
Dangerous Machines : http://www.dangerousmachines.com/
Get Steel : http://www.wlcooke.co.uk

BoB

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00

> >But today we got a big article about what Rex thinks of
> >Mentorns safety procedures.
> >
> >Phew... Its pretty juicy stuff.
>
> If it's not on the newspaper site: can you scan/OCR the article and post
it
> here please?

I would like to read that too, Is Rex in this series, I used to
watch him on "secret life of your XXXX "

nozza

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
On Sat, 08 Jan 2000 23:12:00 +0000, Adam Clark
<ad...@dataark.demon.co.uk> wrote:

And the daily star tooo

>The Daily Mirror ran a similar thing at
>http://www.mirror.co.uk/shtml/NEWS/P25S2.shtml
>
>Adam
>
>John Benton wrote:
>>
>> With the EADT being Rex's Local paper (and mine) we
>> seem to get a lot of articles about the various things that
>> Rex Garrod does in the area (He doesn't just build
>> robots you know)
>>

>> But today we got a big article about what Rex thinks of
>> Mentorns safety procedures.

Peter Holroyd

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00

John Benton

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
The EADT Article was about half a page.

I'll see what I can do next week.

"nozza" <no...@usa.net> wrote in message

Stephen

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
In article <prug7skmb00v0ir42...@news.xs4all.nl>, Yippee
<yip...@glasvezel.net.do.not.spam> wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> | January 8 2000 BRITAIN
> |
> | TV robot injures studio workers
> |
> | BY PAUL MCCANN
> | MEDIA CORRESPONDENT
> |
> | A BBC children's programme that features home-made
> | robots attacking each other with axes, chainsaws and
> | flame-throwers has been condemned as dangerous after
> | one of the machines twice went out of control and injured
> | two technicians.
> |
> | Rex Garrod, one of the robot builders, is refusing to take
> | part in a new series of Robot Wars because of the
> | accidents.
> |
> | The programme is screened twice a week on BBC2 and
> | attracts eight million viewers for the two shows. Amateur
> | inventors put their remotecontrolled creations forward for
> | gladiatorial contests in a studio arena. The robots are
> | turned off before members of the production team go in.
> |
> | During filming recently, a 170lb robot came to life after it
> | was switched off and careered out of control, injuring a
> | stage technician. He needed stitches for an ankle wound
> | caused by sharp spikes on the robot.
> |
> | Mr Garrod said that the robot had careered off a stage a
> | few months earlier and stabbed another technician who
> | also needed hospital treatment. He said: "I decided I had
> | to make a stand by refusing to participate any more.
> | These robots are capable of killing people."
> |
> | Bill Hobbins, the producer of the show, said that it
> | operated under strict safety guidelines.
>
> Robotwars may be infantile fun, but 'children's programme'...?

Hm... I know a lot of kids watch it but how many of those can fork out a few
hundred quid and the time and effort needed to build a robot? A lot of the
people I've talked to who've seen maybe half an episode, have thought the
robots were basically radio controlled cars with saws and stuff added on,
and most of them were rather shocked when I informed them that the average
robot weighed more than an adult and was about 3 to 4 foot long. OK the
Antweights in particular are tiny and easy to make and (usually) operate,
but the heavyweighs and the new half-ton class I heard about somewhere can
actually be extremely complex bits of machinery. Also it's the old "model
builder syndrome" - "you build robots which are supposed to destroy each
other? You're wierd!" and they dismiss you without thinking how much time,
effort and money goes into those robots. I remember after the documentary
program on how they make Robot wars last new year (in the middle of series
2) Mark Lamarr said "OK now we know how they make Robot wars, what we need
now is a program explaining Why they make Robot wars". KILL KILL KILL... ;-)
-Steve

--
Stephen Pearson rpea...@argonet.co.uk
Back from Universty for a few months... Kent, England