I heard a rumor that Battlebots was cancelled. Please tell me it's not true.

Immortus45

Oct 12, 2002, 8:42:10 PM10/12/02
see above

pulgao

Oct 13, 2002, 4:16:48 AM10/13/02
On 12 Oct 2002 17:42:10 -0700, Immor...@yahoo.com (Immortus45)
wrote:

>see above

AFAIK, it's not true. The last word I saw (on a builders'
website/discussion group) said that Comedy Central has committed to
carrying Season Six (the currently-airing series in Season Five).
After that, it's up in the air, but I'd not count on seeing a Season
Seven. Ratings are down, the show was cut from 60 to 30 minutes, and
CC keeps changing the airing times at the last minute. It doesn't look
good for BB.

-- Steve Lopez

pulgao

Oct 13, 2002, 5:24:24 PM10/13/02
On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:53:45 -0400, "Jim Shaffer, Jr."
<jmsh...@alltel.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 08:16:48 GMT, baays...@md.net (pulgao) wrote:
>
>>AFAIK, it's not true. The last word I saw (on a builders'
>>website/discussion group) said that Comedy Central has committed to
>>carrying Season Six (the currently-airing series in Season Five).
>

>Then why was the November tournament cancelled? (Or is it now un-cancelled?)

I didn't know that it was cancelled, but whether or not the tournament
is run has nothing to do with CC.

My wild *guess* is that BB had trouble finding/booking a venue for the
tournament -- that's happened before.

I'll do some digging into this when I get a chance.

gareth young

Oct 13, 2002, 5:23:22 PM10/13/02

"pulgao" <baays...@md.net> wrote in message

> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:53:45 -0400, "Jim Shaffer, Jr."
> <jmsh...@alltel.net> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 08:16:48 GMT, baays...@md.net (pulgao) wrote:
> >
> >>AFAIK, it's not true. The last word I saw (on a builders'
> >>website/discussion group) said that Comedy Central has committed to
> >>carrying Season Six (the currently-airing series in Season Five).
> >
> >Then why was the November tournament cancelled? (Or is it now
un-cancelled?)

> I didn't know that it was cancelled, but whether or not the tournament
> is run has nothing to do with CC.
>
> My wild *guess* is that BB had trouble finding/booking a venue for the
> tournament -- that's happened before.
>
> I'll do some digging into this when I get a chance.

i though it was a done deal that comedy central dropped it -battlebots put
out a release to that effect.
no digging required!

--
gareth-quote of the day
there's no coffee here in nilbog -it's the devils drink!'

diego_x1...@lilly.com

Oct 16, 2002, 1:44:38 PM10/16/02
gareth,
Do you have a link for this release? It would be too bad, because I like
battlebots.

-diego

In article <aocoil$ku0mh$1...@ID-98824.news.dfncis.de>, gareth young

NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email ab...@newsone.net

diego_x1...@lilly.com

Oct 16, 2002, 1:55:35 PM10/16/02

gareth young

Oct 16, 2002, 2:16:20 PM10/16/02

<diego_x1...@lilly.com> wrote in message

> gareth,
> Do you have a link for this release? It would be too bad, because I like
> battlebots.

they put out a release about seeking a more educational outlet -i'm pretty
sure it was posted here or on uk.media.tv-robotwars so have a search via
google and it should be there somewhere.

gatt

Nov 9, 2002, 12:39:40 AM11/9/02
Here you go, guys:

From: in...@battlebots.com
To: <[distribution list snipped, assumed confiedential -c]>
Subject: STATEMENT ON THE FUTURE OF BATTLEBOTS - FROM TREY AND GREG
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:08:09 -0700

AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM TREY AND GREG:

BATTLEBOTS 6.0 TOURNAMENT PLANS ON HOLD:

We are very sorry to inform our builders that plans for the BattleBots
6.0
Tournament have been put on hold until further notice. At this point, the
BattleBots 6.0 Tournament will NOT be held in November 2002 as originally
planned.

Much to our dismay, Comedy Central has decided NOT to renew its option
for
a Phase 6.0 taping at this time. Without this television funding from
Comedy Central, BattleBots Inc. simply cannot afford to hold a live
competition.

It is possible that the next BattleBots Tournament will be held in the
near future, depending on the circumstances. We are aggressively seeking
avenues whereby we can move forward with the events as quickly as
possible. We will keep you abreast of the latest developments.

In any case, please accept our sincerest regrets. We understand and
appreciate the enormous resources, efforts, and talents that builders put
into their robots. However, since the television funding is not there at
this time, our hands are tied. Please understand that we have also
expended a vast amount of effort in preparation for the Phase 6.0 event.
We are as disappointed as you must be. This hurts us deeply in many ways.

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your dedication,
cooperation, and patience during this challenging period. We are also
counting on your continued support. We are in this thing together because
we collectively represent the sport of BattleBots. We at BattleBots will

continue to honor your hard work by tirelessly promoting the sport of
robotic combat. When it comes time to hold the next BattleBots event, we
hope to hit the ground running.

In the end, this challenging time may turn out to be the greatest thing
that ever happened to our sport. As we overcome obstacles and capitalize
on new opportunities, BattleBots will continue to flourish for years to
come. We are actively exploring some very promising options at this time.
Stay tuned for an update very shortly.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to call or email us with your
questions and concerns. Your input matters to us greatly as we enter the
next phase for our sport. Take care and we look forward to seeing you all
again very soon.

Sincerely,

Trey and Greg