Series 4

Dominic

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
I think the bbc should bring back the gauntlet and trials back into
robotwars.
Series3 was good but I found all the fighting got boring after a while.

Does anyone else agree ?

bunny

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
I think they should make the fighting more interesting instead - robots
which do nothing should get shown less simple. They should get rid of most
the of intervening crud aswell - craig charles's babble, the endless
repeats of previous bouts, the filler music and 'activate....' nonsense. I
never thought I would say this but I think the format that ch4 use for the
formula off road is better - just show the action minimal interuption. If
they find they cant spin out enough episodes then they should start showing
more weight classes, melee events etc.

Does anyone else agree?

Neil P Dry

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
Personally I liked it without the Trials - they were a little too simple for
my liking.

What I think they should include is a sort of tag team event - kind of like
in wrestling. What do u guys think?

Neil.

--
"DO NOT EAT THIS E-MAIL"

Dominic <rottw...@rottweiler2.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Dave Reed

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00

> What I think they should include is a sort of tag team event - kind of
like
> in wrestling. What do u guys think?

a team 'capture the flag' type event would be interesting....

Stephen

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
In article <39056B3A...@eidosnet.co.uk>, bunny <xbu...@eidosnet.co.uk>
wrote:

> I think they should make the fighting more interesting instead - robots
> which do nothing should get shown less simple. They should get rid of most
> the of intervening crud aswell - craig charles's babble, the endless
> repeats of previous bouts, the filler music and 'activate....' nonsense. I
> never thought I would say this but I think the format that ch4 use for the
> formula off road is better - just show the action minimal interuption. If
> they find they cant spin out enough episodes then they should start
> showing
> more weight classes, melee events etc.
>
> Does anyone else agree?

I agree about showing more weight classes, our robot Cheeze Grater will have
to be a superheavy and I'm working on Ersatz, a light/middleweight which I
kind of designed and assembled in mockup form from the spare parts I have.
Also the ants and underweights should get more attention - Scorch being used
in the high jump at Technogames, and the incident where TyrANT was
confiscated from Jools when he took it to the studios for S3 filming, are
the only times that ants have appeared on telly. The other weight classes in
the US have developed a lot, eg featherweights - you only have to look at
the difference, eg compare Spike 3 to Demolisher - to see that the only real
development in UK robots has been in the heavyweights because they're
(almost) the only ones on the telly!
I agree about cutting the annoying bits like the tacky "3... 2... 1...
Activate!" mind you that was not nearly as irritatingly patronising as the
"Team stand by... Power on... BEEEEEP" in Technogames. In general I think
the Gauntlet and Trials should be brought back as "mini competitions" but
Not to get rid of robots before they fight. The Gauntlet was the only bit
where the house robots were actually good at anything, as there was only
enough room for 2 or 3 of them and they often worked independently of each
other, not ganging up. I think a large "maze"-type Gauntlet event, with a
choice of routes, static obstacles, 2 or 3 house robots etc would be good.
The football was just plain boring, Pinball was quite good, the walkers got
mashed by the house robots (except Miss Struts), and the arena for the main
contest was too small - make it twice or three times that size and get rid
of the pit!
One final thing - why don't they get some presenters who have worked on
science or technology shows before, eg Jez Nelson from Tomorrows World, and
stop editing the interesting bits out of fights - remember when they cut out
Razer attacking Weighalot after their pinball run? Craig Charles is a good
presenter but even he can get irritating! Not nearly as bad as Clarkson in
S1 though. Also they seem to have made the competitors more "remote" - they
used to rush up the steps and shake hands after battles, now they're raised
up in those cherry pickers and it seems to have lost the "friendly"
atmosphere it had in S's 1&2.

-Steve

--
Stephen Pearson rpea...@argonet.co.uk
Back from Universty for a few months... Kent, England

phil hunt

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:09:15 BST, Stephen <rpea...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>One final thing - why don't they get some presenters who have worked on
>science or technology shows before,

That's a good idea, perhaps they could use Philippa Forester from Tomorrow's
World, I bet she'd make a great RW presenter.

--
***** Phil Hunt ***** send email to ph...@comuno.com *****
Moore's Law: hardware speed doubles every 18 months

bunny

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
bring back Johnny Ball its official! (I just made it official)

Graeme Higginbotham

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
i agree the fighting was really boring. they should be testing on
menouverability not just if they can bash each other

Pete Lilleyman

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
Prof Heinz Wolff from The Great Egg Race !

Never mind that, just bring The Great Egg Race back :-)

--
pe...@lilleyman.freeserve.nospam.co.uk
remove nospam to reply direct

"bunny" <xbu...@eidosnet.co.uk> wrote in message

andy the pugh

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
Graeme Higginbotham <balm...@freenetname.co.uk> wrote:

> i agree the fighting was really boring. they should be testing on
> menouverability not just if they can bash each other

From the point of view of televisual entertainment I prefered the
previous series [1]. The gauntlet rounds gave the audience time to get
to know the competitors (be they the teams or the robots, depending on
where your interest lies). With the current format too many teams
entered the arena, found their robot was pants, and left ignominously.
Us for example. Given a second chance we might (and that is a big
"might") have realised how poor our RC was in the arena enviroment and
thought of other things to try. (like a vertical whip antenna and screw
the invertability bit)

Perhaps there shoulld be an offscreen elimination league tournament or
something, that would give entrants the chance to test their robots in a
combat setting, give entrants a chance to sort out minor technical
niggles, and eliminate the dross from the televised rounds.

In the heats we saw an embarassing number of truly useless robots
(including mine) whereas there were only two programmes of proven robots
that had proved that they worked in the arena. This isn't the way to
make good television. I would advocate untelevised (or selectively
televised) heats and a TV programme based around far more events for
those robots which make it through.

In the first series they lacked entrants and had to show everybody (and,
allegedly, had to invent a few), this time (S3) they had an embarrasment
of robots and tried to show them all, and many were pathetic. It seems
likely that S4 will again have far too many entrants, a preliminary
weeding out process seems logical. (and whilst doing that, a league
system to afford teams a second chance, missing in the current format,
would be nice)

[1] What bits I saw. I never actually watched a whole programme through
prior to building a robat and entering, not out of principle or
anything, just timetable constraints.

--
ap

bigegg

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
In message <8echqf$qms$2...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>
"Pete Lilleyman" <pe...@lilleyman.freeserve.nospam.co.uk> wrote:

> Prof Heinz Wolff from The Great Egg Race !
>
> Never mind that, just bring The Great Egg Race back :-)

Bugger off. My legs still ache from the last one :.)

--
Big Egg

IUD: Love springs internal

Robin Message

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00
They want some bollocks robots to show :
1. How good the house robots are
2. How good Hypno-disc is
3. How good Chaos 2 is
4. How good a *few* other robots are
5. Some carnage

However, they should bring back the gautlet to introduce the robots etc.
Also their should be a better weeding out process. Perhaps teams with good
designs but crap RC gear/motors/batteries/person who has to switch it on
could get help?
Just a thought...

Robin

Stephen

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00
In article <1e9ruwn.wt9jad18ciczrN%a.c....@shef.ac.uk>, a.c....@shef.ac.uk
(andy the pugh) wrote:
<much snippage>

> Perhaps there shoulld be an offscreen elimination league tournament or
> something, that would give entrants the chance to test their robots in a
> combat setting, give entrants a chance to sort out minor technical
> niggles, and eliminate the dross from the televised rounds.

I have an idea, I don't know if it's practical or not though: How about they
have a system where the winners of the first round of fights go through to
fight against each other (as at the moment) But, the losers of the first
round don't go straight out - they go into a separate series of fights, and
end up with one "winner" in the losers class, who is then shoved back into
the contest with the robots who won originally. The maths might be a bit
complicated. Right, example:
Say you have 8 robots, A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H.
First round: A vs. B, C vs. D, E vs. F, G vs. H.
A, C, E, G win, B, D, F, H lose.
Second round: A vs. C, E vs. G and separately, B vs. D, F vs. H
A and E win, and, B and F win.
Third round: A vs. F, E vs. B - making sure that none of the fights are
re-runs of the first round battles.
Fourth round: Final. Result, one winner out of 8 robots, 11 battles, each
robot gets to fight at least twice.
Sounds rather complicated, and it'll be more fights for the Beeb to rig, but
it might work for smaller contests. Comments anyone?