Seidner's Mayonaise

CGB

Nov 25, 2005, 10:26:47 PM11/25/05
Does anyone know the name and address of the company in Westerly, RI that
makes a local favorite, Seidner's Mayonaise?

Thanks.

Chet

Thomas Reynolds

Nov 26, 2005, 7:17:29 AM11/26/05
Try the RI or westerly health department...must be registered by some name
if they are producing commercial food stuffs.
"CGB" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Grumpy AuContraire

Nov 26, 2005, 7:35:10 AM11/26/05
A Google search sort of indicates that this entity is from the distant
past with no current links...

JT

CGB

Nov 26, 2005, 12:16:50 PM11/26/05
Good idea

"Thomas Reynolds" <tom.reynolds(remove)1...@verizon.net> wrote in message

CGB

Nov 26, 2005, 12:19:04 PM11/26/05
It has been around for a long time. It is available. We can find it in
Wakefield at Belmont's or Stop and Shop but it is very hit-or-miss. The
clerks don't know any details about where it comes from. I'd like to find a
definitive source for it. Surprisingly, reading the label and taking info
to a phone book, etc. just doesn't work and as you say Google doesn't help.

Chet
"Grumpy AuContraire" <Grum...@GrumpyvilleNOT.com> wrote in message

Laury

Nov 26, 2005, 1:21:24 PM11/26/05

> It has been around for a long time. It is available. We can find it in
> Wakefield at Belmont's or Stop and Shop but it is very hit-or-miss. The
> clerks don't know any details about where it comes from.

The majority of local items are serviced by vendors and stores
are not able to directly order them, but they can tell the
vendor to bring them in if the items are in the "set". If they
are not in the "set" you can fill out a request form at the
customer service desk and a manager will follow it up
for you at any Stop & Shop. If you speak to someone
knowledgeable they can look at the shelf tag and instantly
know who is stocking the item, and since you have seen
the item in the stores apparently it is in the set. Just stop
by the customer service desk, especially during daytime
hours, when the full-time staff is on duty, and you should
have it if they can get it.

Daytime vs nighttime: Second shift is very tough on famlies.
It is when full-timers (I think it goes without saying a full-time
worker is going to know a lot more and care a lot more
than a part-time worker) do their training. They just don't
know as much because things such as deliveries and
ordering happen during the day. You are just never going
to get the same level of service, unless it's Friday night,
the busiest night of the week, when many department
heads work. So if days are not possible, early on a
Friday night would yeild better results.

Laury

Grumpy AuContraire

Nov 26, 2005, 1:33:10 PM11/26/05
There are liability issues to be considered and I would suspect that any
legitimate food producer needs to provide a path from consumer to manufacturer.

Any outlet that buys and sells an "undocumented" product is playing with fire...

JT

nospam

Nov 26, 2005, 8:49:29 PM11/26/05
You are thinking of the Otto Seidner Co out of Westerly... Otto, the old man
was a very active boater/sport fishing. Real active with the Westerly Yaht
Club.. Has a scholorship fund, etc. Old man has passed on a few years ago
as far as I know.. You say you're still finding his mayo??? If you're
right, the mayo you bought might be like 20 years old back stock the market
found under a gondola they moved last night? Maybe someone else picked up
the label.. I'll do some asking around for ya. In any event, make the stuff
yourself.. here is the book Otto's recipie is... Nice thing about the
internet.. someone will know your answer.. no matter how pedestrian.

SEIDNER, OTTO: A Book of New Recipes, Quality Mayonnaise by Seidner. [n.p.],
Otto Seidner. [n.d.] 22pp. : 16cm.

nospam

Nov 26, 2005, 9:01:35 PM11/26/05
Aklso check out an article which appeared in the New York Herald Tribune,
April 20th, 1955 entitled, "Dressing With a Flair: Seidner's Mayonnaise"..
Like I said, I havent seen the guys mayo in years....

CGB

Nov 27, 2005, 4:48:27 PM11/27/05
Interesting. Will check the links you provided.
Chet
"nospam" <rem...@cox.net> wrote in message

donnakes...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2015, 1:36:34 PM11/13/15
I've seen it at Stop and Shop. As far as I know, I don't think it's in Westerly anymore, but don't quote me. I'm from there, but moved away for a while.

banjoha...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2015, 7:55:10 PM11/19/15
On Friday, November 25, 2005 at 10:26:47 PM UTC-5, CGB wrote:
I AM FROM WESTERLY AND THEY USED TO BE ON FRIENDSHIP STREET BUT I BELIEVE THEY WERE BOUGHT OUT BY A LARGER CO. DON'T THINK THEY ARE IN WESTERLY ANY LONGER. HARRY

Allyou GetforName

Sep 7, 2020, 3:40:46 PM9/7/20
Interesting :) In the last 15 years I've learned to spell the food with two "n's" but no further info about the company. We have been consistently getting the mayonnaise at Belmont's Market in Wakefield, RI and McQuade's Market (there are several but we use the one in Jamestown, RI) THE DAY newspaper out of New London had an interesting article re: this, 5 years ago but article still available at https://www.theday.com/article/20150211/NWS05/302119957 Also picked up several recommendations for Vocatura's Bakery, bread's good and interesting info re: business tax problem.

Chet