You Grew Up in Rhode Island During the 1960s * If...

Norm

Feb 4, 2003, 12:00:20 PM2/4/03
You Grew Up in Rhode Island During the 1960s * If...

                                                                               * ...or maybe earlier.

    ...you cried when Salty Brine's collie Jeff died.
    ...you remember when Art Lake and Salty Brine had dark hair.
    ...you remember Sara Wye, Franz Laubert, and Jay Kroll.
    ...you remember Jack Comley and Dick Pace.
    ...you remember the Outlet Company at Christmastime: Toyland in the basement and the Christmas windows.
    ...you smile wistfully when you think of the names Shepards, Woolworths, Grants, Peerless, Gladdings, and City
    Hall Hardware.
    ...you remember when Kmart was still Kresge's.
    ...you once ate at the Ming Garden or the Waldorf Cafeteria.
    ...you remember when it was the Sheraton Biltmore.
    ...you were assured by classmates that the Industrial National Bank building was the same one as in the opening
    of the Superman TV series.
    ...you remember when they used to show all the Disney films at the Majestic Theater.
    ...you remember the RKO Albee, the Loew's State, and the Strand.
    ...your mom wouldn't let you go near the Strand.
    ...you remember that neat paperback bookstore cattycorner from the Outlet having so many books and rock
    posters that the cashier had to sit up in a little booth.
    ...being bussed to the Rhode Island Philharmonic once a year for a special concert for schoolchildren.
    ...you remember when that big pyramid that became Apex went up in Pawtucket.
    ...you remember when WPRI was WPRO.
    ...you remember neighborhood bakeries and all the great pastries they carried: lemon squares, New Yorkers,
    cornets, zeppoles, and sfogliatelles.
    ...you know what a hermit is.
    ...you remember when Garden City was just about the only shopping center out in that direction.
    ...you remember when Garden City was just about the only thing out there besides farms and houses and how at
    Christmastime when they put up their light display you could drive to the top of Laurel Hill Avenue and see it shining
    like a beacon in the distance.
    ...heck, you remember the coal tipple that used to be on the north side of Sakonasset Road at what's now the
    "back end" of Garden City.
    ...you remember Child World.
    ...your parents would threaten to "send you to Sakonasset" when you were particularly bad.
    ...your mother would say, when you made her crazy, "You're going to drive me to Howard!"
    ...you remember Reservoir Avenue when it was only two lanes.
    ...you remember going north to Massachusetts before there was an interstate.
    ...you have fond memories of Rocky Point, Crescent Park, and Jolly Cholly's.
    ...you remember when Rhode Island Mall was Midland Mall.
    ...heck, you remember when Midland Mall opened.
    ...you remember the junkyard that used to be where Warwick Mall is now.
    ...you used to love the Cranston Drive-In.
    ...you wondered if they gave out free samples at the Eclipse syrup plant.
    ...you remember free parking at the beach.
    ...your mom grocery shopped at Almacs, Stop and Shop, Finast, or the A&P.
    ...heck, when your mom shopped at a neighborhood supermarket like Food Town.
    ...you remember Warwick Shopper's World, Niantic Mills, and the Ben Franklin Store.
    ...your parents still referred to Warwick Shopper's World and Ann &Hope as "mill outlets" and going to one of these
    stores was "going to the mill."
    ...your parents still referred to the airport as "Hillsgrove."
    ...you remember when the section of Cranston at the intersection of Park Avenue and Gansett Avenue was called
    "the Speedway."
    ...you know what a "superette" and a "spa" were (and that the latter had nothing to do with health clubs).
    ...you remember when Bald Hill Road was almost all farms.
    ...you remember the downtown Newport waterfront before they remodeled it.
    ...you remember when there wasn't a McDonald's in Rhode Island.
    ...you remember Burger Chef and Jeff.
    ...you bought a small Del's Lemonade for only a dime, Hershey bars for 10 cents, popsicles a nickel, and penny
    candy--for a penny!
    ...you remember going to Stamp's Farm for eggs and Highland Orchards for apples.
    ...you passed the Narragansett Brewery on your way downtown--and people were working there.
    ...one of the big landmarks on Post Road was the Scholes roller rink.
    ...every time a hurricane was forecast your mom and dad or grandparents would immediately talk about the
    Hurricane of ‘38.
    ...heck, they'd take you downtown to show you the high-water plaque on the Providence Journal-Bulletin building.
    ...you remember Trifari and Coro being two of the biggest employers in town.
    ...instead of getting your chickens from the supermarket, your mom or dad went to the chicken man in Silver Lake.
    ...your parents took you to the Slater Zoo.
    ...you remember Bosco and Maypo.
    ...you remember the old Calart's Christmas display.
    ...you remember the big rivalry between Old Stone Bank and Citizens Bank.
    ...the moment you drove out of Rhode Island no one had coffee milk or coffee ice cream any longer.
    ...you still have nightmares about "Choo-Choo" on the Railroad Salvage commercials. Â

Tom

Feb 4, 2003, 1:07:25 PM2/4/03

    MORE  from THE  early 1960s:

    1.  You remember when they opened the Warwick Ann & Hope
 and it caused a traffic jam that was covered by radio & TV reporters.

    2.  You remember  Channel 6 TV coming on the air for the first time on
  New Year's eve  1962.

    3.  Your parents went  "down city"  to shop once a week.

   4.  You remember  Mort Blender on the nightly TV news, droning on with his
  very deep bassy voice and straight face.

   5.   Boys graduating with the high school class of 1964 had to register for the
draft at Field's Point.    Sadly, many never returned to RI and remain forever
 18 years old in some long forgotten battlefield in Viet Nam.

   6.  You remember the winter of 1962 when schools were cancelled for two
 and three days straight.

Grrly girl

Feb 4, 2003, 1:23:13 PM2/4/03
I thought Hershey bars were originally a nickel.
For those of you from Edgewood....  Do you remember "Fred's" on Broad Street?  On Halloween we'd trick-or-treat at Fred's and get a nickel candy bar!

I buy Autocrat (wish it said Eclipse on the label) by the gallon so I won't run out before my next visit.

With fond memories,
Lou

M.L.

Feb 4, 2003, 4:05:59 PM2/4/03
Damn you have a great memory...  You forgot Nyanza though

Linda M. Young

Feb 4, 2003, 6:09:35 PM2/4/03
Gosh, that's my list...thanks!

I'd forgotten about Nyanza...and Mort Blender.

Linda
(who still misses Jack Comley)

Linda M. Young

Feb 4, 2003, 6:12:02 PM2/4/03
On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 18:23:13 GMT, "Grrly girl"
<Grrl...@notmyaddress.com> wrote:

>I thought Hershey bars were originally a nickel.

They probably were at one point. I actually remember two sizes of
Hershey bars in the superette as a kid. There was the size they are
now for a dime, and a smaller one, the size you got in your Halloween
bag, for a nickel. Not everyone had the little ones.

Anyone remember Squirrel Nuts? (Not Squirrel Nut Zippers...just the
straight old Squirrel Nut penny candies.)

Linda
"I'm from Rhode Island...
I only work in Georgia."

czf

Feb 4, 2003, 7:07:52 PM2/4/03
"Linda M. Young" <jly...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Anyone remember Squirrel Nuts? (Not Squirrel Nut Zippers...just the
> straight old Squirrel Nut penny candies.)

And Mary Janes.

Laury

Feb 4, 2003, 7:09:54 PM2/4/03

"czf" <rac...@deckards.piano> wrote in message

Both of which I had to "pay" my dad for taking me trick or treating on
Halloween, along with black liquorice (yuk). We'd get home, dump out my
pumpkin, and they'd be gone in a flash. Funny how the only candies my dad
liked were the ones I didn't like. :)

Laury

mj

Feb 4, 2003, 7:17:01 PM2/4/03

Linda M. Young wrote:

I always preferred the Squirrel Nuts to the Zippers. In recent years,
I've been picking up a bag at Yummies in Kittery, ME
http://yummies.bizland.com/store/index.html whenever I pass through, but
I'm not finding them listed on their web site I'm sure I found a link
about 1-2 years ago, but I've been unable to find a link to the Squirrel
Nut Co in Cambridge, MA where they are made (or did so up to year or so
ago).

czf

Feb 4, 2003, 7:27:13 PM2/4/03
"Norm" <no...@lvcm.com> wrote in message news:3E3FF1F0...@lvcm.com...

> You Grew Up in Rhode Island During the 1960s * If...

> ...your mom wouldn't let you go near the Strand.

Or the Rustic Drive In.

And speaking of driving, you learned how to drive in the parking lot of the
Narragansett Race Track. And you knew how to sneak into the race track at
night by going through a remote corner of Slater Park.

> ...you remember neighborhood

everythings. Pinault's Drug Store. The Crystal Spa. Kip's Diner. The
Darlton Theater. Oh, and Peter and Tony Pilaggi's Lemonade Truck. *ding
ding dingdingding*

> ...you have fond memories of Rocky Point, Crescent Park, and Jolly
> Cholly's.

Oh, the shore dinner halls ....

> ...you used to love the Cranston Drive-In.

But stayed away from Rustic Drive-In.

> ...your parents still referred to Warwick Shopper's World and Ann
> &Hope as "mill outlets" and going to one of these
> stores was "going to the mill."

In Valley Falls.

> ...you remember Burger Chef and Jeff.

On Newport Avenue, and then they paved paradise and put up a Volkwagen
dealership.

> ...every time a hurricane was forecast your mom and dad or
> grandparents would immediately talk about the

> Hurricane of ‘38.

And the house they lost in Bay Springs

> ...you remember Trifari and Coro being two of the biggest employers
> in town.

And Hassenfeld Brothers.

Whoa. Talk about an acid flashback.

Here are a couple of mine:

Mixing iodine with baby oil to get the perfect summer tan, usually
accompanied by assorted aluminum foil-type accoutrements to get all angles
tanned.

Listening to Salty Brine say "time to turn so you don't burn" every 30
minutes. In fact, "time to turn so you don't burn" sticks in my mind even
more than "No school Foster/Glocester".

M.L.

Feb 4, 2003, 7:44:38 PM2/4/03

"czf" <rac...@deckards.piano> wrote in message

oh wow man... cool mary janes... good stuff man!!!

Laury

Feb 4, 2003, 8:08:04 PM2/4/03

> And speaking of driving, you learned how to drive in the parking lot of the
> Narragansett Race Track. And you knew how to sneak into the race track at
> night by going through a remote corner of Slater Park.

Or local cemetery. Famous dad saying "at least everyone here is dead already"
as I slowly navigated St Ann's, before leaving "the city" for "the beach" for
the summer. Then lessons continued where Eastward Look is now. Back then there
were only the roads, no houses. He also took me to a church parking lot for my
first lesson with a "stick". Good thing, because immediately after starting
the car I released the clutch, sending us flying over the curb. My mother
laughed her butt off in the back seat as my father waited for his breathing to
return to normal.

> > ...every time a hurricane was forecast your mom and dad or
> > grandparents would immediately talk about the

> > Hurricane of â?~38.

> And the house they lost in Bay Springs

With my family, it was a house in Misquamicut and one in Oakland Beach, and my
grandmother had a very chilling account of watching a family swept away on the
roof of their house, never to be seen again. And they wonder why we panic!

I grew up in the 60s, but don't remember half of these, so I definitely think
the "or maybe earlier" applies. We went to The Kent or The Greenwich to see
our movies. Every Wednesday we ate dinner at Capelli's in Warwick, and every
Friday we had fish and chips from the shop in Apponaug. Finast was First
National then, and everyone called it "The National". Back-to-school shopping
was done in Artic, to me the most hated place on earth. I always thought it
was fitting that the Registry ended up there.

Funny this list mentions the Industrial National Bank building as being the
one in Superman. I, too, always thought that. I guess RI has a few urban
legends of it's very own. The threat to send you to Sockonasset is another
one. Bad boy's school, but they'd make an exception in my case.

>>> ...you remember when the section of Cranston at the intersection of Park
Avenue and Gansett Avenue was called
"the Speedway."

I don't personally remember that, but I do know it was called that because
there was a racetrack where the Cranston Stadium now stands. I think the
Stadium was built in 1942, and the "Speedway" references are getting few and
far between.

>>>...one of the big landmarks on Post Road was the Scholes roller rink

My parent's met at Schole's, and as a teen I went roller skating there every
Friday night. It was dark and dirty but had a certain classic charm. There was
a big bar in there, that sold every kind of tutti-fruity soda you can imagine
in glass bottles. Of course it's big draw were the booths that lined the rink,
perfect for making out. :)

Laury

M.L.

Feb 4, 2003, 8:22:07 PM2/4/03
I remember taking my high school sweet heart to the Country Inn on Cowesett Ave and Quaker Lane on New Years Eve.. We were both sweet 16...

Linda M. Young

Feb 4, 2003, 9:58:25 PM2/4/03
On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 00:27:13 GMT, "czf" <rac...@deckards.piano>
wrote:

>And speaking of driving, you learned how to drive in the parking lot of the
>Narragansett Race Track.

LOL. I learned how to drive on Sunday mornings in the parking lot at
Garden City.

Linda M. Young

Feb 4, 2003, 10:11:49 PM2/4/03
On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 01:08:04 GMT, "Laury" <la...@coxxxx.net> wrote:

>I don't personally remember that, but I do know it was called that because
>there was a racetrack where the Cranston Stadium now stands. I think the
>Stadium was built in 1942, and the "Speedway" references are getting few and
>far between.

The park where the racetrack was actually extended from Park Avenue
almost to Appleton Street, and down as far as the Cranston Stadium.
The old fence behind our house was all that was left of the track,
according to my dad and godparents. When they sold the plat where the
Speedway was for houses in the late 1920s, they named all the streets
after cars. That's why "Fiat Avenue, Packard Street, Peerless,
Overland," etc. Before there was a speedway there was a horse race
track (the Narragansett Trotting Track, according to the "Images of
America" book I have). I also saw it referred to as "Narragansett
Park," which is probably why Gansett Avenue is named as it is. They
used to have county fairs there as well, and my dad told me that as a
little boy (1920?) he saw a Wild West show there.

I can't remember exactly where the Speedway barber was anymore, but
there's a building on Park Avenue--well, if it's still there; I
haven't been home in a few years--near the intersection of Gansett
Avenue...it has round windows. I think they were selling industrial
chemicals or glues or something the last time I went by there. That
used to be the Speedway Bowling Lanes. It closed in the early 1960s
before the big 36 lane Garden City Bowling Lanes opened. The Zarella
brothers owned both Speedway and the old Garden City lanes as I
remember.

Owen Hartnett

Feb 4, 2003, 10:16:38 PM2/4/03

> Listening to Salty Brine say "time to turn so you don't burn" every 30
> minutes. In fact, "time to turn so you don't burn" sticks in my mind even
> more than "No school Foster/Glocester".

Or Big Ange, and "the station that reaches the beaches."

-Owen

Linda M. Young

Feb 4, 2003, 10:12:38 PM2/4/03
On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 01:22:07 GMT, "M.L." <climb...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I remember taking my high school sweet heart to the Country Inn on Cowesett Ave and Quaker Lane on New Years Eve.. We were both sweet 16...

Was that the one near "the tent"? <g> We went there a few times.

Anne

Feb 4, 2003, 11:06:26 PM2/4/03
I was a young teen in nearby southeastern Mass. in the 1960s, until I came
to college in Providence in fall 1969.

Because our nearest big-signal radio stations for Top 40 music were in RI,
and our TV stations too, we assimilated lots of "RI Cultcha" along the
way.

On one trip to Prov. to meet someone at the train station, my dad took my
brother and me up to the WPRO studios (then near the old bus station
downtown, IIRC) and we *met* the already legendary Salty Brine (whom we
knew only from radio, having missed the "Salty's Shack" TV years). That
was cool. What a nice gentleman.... not too busy to meet his young fans.

And wasn't there a discount palace named Warwick Shopper's World? I have
this echo in my head of radio ads that sang, "Wahwick Shoppiz World,
Wahwick Shoppiz World... something something big savings, Wahwick Shoppiz
World."
(Am I dreaming this?)

I do love reading these old memories, even if many of them predate my
immigration to Little Rhody. :-)

- Anne

Anne

Feb 4, 2003, 11:36:30 PM2/4/03
> And wasn't there a discount palace named Warwick Shopper's World?

Oops! I just realized that WSW was mentioned in the original posting. Sorry!

- Anne
talking to myself

Feb 5, 2003, 12:23:47 AM2/5/03
Linda M. Young <jly...@mindspring.com> wrote:
:>I thought Hershey bars were originally a nickel.

: They probably were at one point. I actually remember two sizes of
: Hershey bars in the superette as a kid. There was the size they are
: now for a dime, and a smaller one, the size you got in your Halloween
: bag, for a nickel. Not everyone had the little ones.

When I was a kid the candy store across from the Boy's Club
sold licorice for a penny a strand. In teh wintertime, by
the time I walked the 2 blocks home, my hair and licorice
would both be frozen solid (would swim at the BC).

Feb 5, 2003, 12:38:05 AM2/5/03
czf <rac...@deckards.piano> wrote:
: "Norm" <no...@lvcm.com> wrote in message news:3E3FF1F0...@lvcm.com...

:> You Grew Up in Rhode Island During the 1960s * If...

:> ...your mom wouldn't let you go near the Strand.

: Or the Rustic Drive In.

Ahh, the memories. Did I ever tell that story here ... ?

Feb 5, 2003, 12:40:49 AM2/5/03
M.L. <climb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
: I remember taking my high school sweet heart to the Country

: Inn on Cowesett Ave and Quaker Lane on New Years Eve.. We were
: both sweet 16...

I remember taking mine to Stephen Olney park or The back of Esek
Hopkins school. Had a '68 Cutlass with a big back seat.

Feb 5, 2003, 12:41:20 AM2/5/03
Owen Hartnett <ow...@xids.xnet> wrote:
: Or Big Ange, and "the station that reaches the beaches."

WGNG! 550 AM.

czf

Feb 5, 2003, 6:19:08 AM2/5/03
"Z" <zarl...@conan.ids.net> wrote in message

Do you still have the pictures?

(I remember this one)

Thomas M. Reynolds

Feb 5, 2003, 8:09:48 AM2/5/03
Grrly girl wrote:
I thought Hershey bars were originally a nickel.For those of you from Edgewood....  Do you remember "Fred's" on Broad Street?  On Halloween we'd trick-or-treat at Fred's and get a nickel candy bar! I buy Autocrat (wish it said Eclipse on the label) by the gallon so I won't run out before my next visit. With fond memories,Lou

The factory sells it over the phone by mail if you run out :-)

Albert Sepe

Feb 5, 2003, 8:19:28 AM2/5/03
I remember growing up down the street from Garden City.One of my fondest memories is one Christmas night either 1965,66 I was looking out my bedroom window while my older cousin was building a snow man in our front yard against the backdrop of the giant Santa Clause atop the roof of a store in Garden City. Also a trip to Brosky's or was it Brodsky's followed by a visit with Santa Clause was great. Does any one remember Brosky's near where Chelo's is? I think it is a Dollar bargain store now.

"Norm" <no...@lvcm.com> wrote in message news:3E3FF1F0...@lvcm.com...
You Grew Up in Rhode Island During the 1960s * If...

Tony Pelliccio

Feb 5, 2003, 12:49:43 PM2/5/03
In article <v417v3c...@corp.supernews.com>, zarl...@conan.ids.net
says...

Best place for candy where I grew up was Cusano's market.

Tony

Tony Pelliccio

Feb 5, 2003, 12:50:13 PM2/5/03
In article <v418pto...@corp.supernews.com>, zarl...@conan.ids.net
says...

I recall being stuffed in the trunk of a car with two of my friends to
get in at one time.

Tony

Kimba

Feb 5, 2003, 2:46:32 PM2/5/03
On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:00:20 GMT, Norm <no...@lvcm.com> wrote:

>You Grew Up in Rhode Island During the 1960s * If...
>

>* ...or maybe earlier.
>

> ...you cried when Salty Brine's collie Jeff died.

Yup. On the show, too.

> ...you remember when Art Lake and Salty Brine had dark hair.

Yep, or in Salty's case, hair at all :)

> ...you remember Sara Wye, Franz Laubert, and Jay Kroll.

Yup yup yup.

> ...you remember Jack Comley and Dick Pace.

OK, I know I should, but I can't place 'em.

> ...you remember the Outlet Company at Christmastime: Toyland in the
>basement and the Christmas windows.

Yup. It was pretty darned awesome.

> ...you smile wistfully when you think of the names Shepards,
>Woolworths, Grants, Peerless, Gladdings, and City
> Hall Hardware.

All of the above, except City Hall Hardware.

My first store charge was at Shepards.

> ...you remember when Kmart was still Kresge's.

Yup - there was one in downtown Woonsocket. Kresges became Jupiter
Discount Store there. Woolworths and Grants were right down the
street from Kresge's.

My MIL worked at Grants in Pawtucket for years.

> ...you once ate at the Ming Garden or the Waldorf Cafeteria.

Oh man, the Ming. My Dad died when I was 16. He was a patient at the
VA (which he and some of his WWI cronies were responsbile for getting
built), and my Mom didn't drive at that time. On Sundays, we'd take
the bus into Kennedy Plaza, catch a connecting bus from across the
street under a tunnel (or a bridge?). Coming back, we'd go to the
Ming for dinner before catching the late bus back to Woonsocket.

> ...you remember when it was the Sheraton Biltmore.

It's STILL the Sheraton Biltmore <g>

> ...you were assured by classmates that the Industrial National Bank
>building was the same one as in the opening
> of the Superman TV series.

Of course it was.

> ...you remember when they used to show all the Disney films at the
>Majestic Theater.

Nope - I remember 'em at the Stadium Theater.

> ...you remember the RKO Albee, the Loew's State, and the Strand.

I remember walking or driving past 'em, but we never went to 'em.

> ...your mom wouldn't let you go near the Strand.

My Mom wouldn't let me go to New York Lunch in Woonsocket :)

> ...you remember that neat paperback bookstore cattycorner from the
>Outlet having so many books and rock
> posters that the cashier had to sit up in a little booth.

Nope. But I remember Browns Music on Main St in Woonsocket.

> ...being bussed to the Rhode Island Philharmonic once a year for a
>special concert for schoolchildren.

Nope - we was culturally deprived up in the North Country.

> ...you remember when that big pyramid that became Apex went up in
>Pawtucket.

Yup.

> ...you remember when WPRI was WPRO.

Yup.

And I remember that WPRO 63AM was the ONLY station to listen to. And
Big Anj, the DJ - what an annoying guy he was <g>

> ...you remember neighborhood bakeries and all the great pastries
>they carried: lemon squares, New Yorkers,
> cornets, zeppoles, and sfogliatelles.

There weren't a lot of Italian pastries in Woonsocket, but there sure
were cream puffs, cornets, and lemon squares.

> ...you know what a hermit is.

Of course :)

> ...you remember when Garden City was just about the only shopping
>center out in that direction.

Yup. I remember when Midland Mall opened - it was a day trip to go
there.

> ...you remember when Garden City was just about the only thing out
>there besides farms and houses and how at
> Christmastime when they put up their light display you could drive
>to the top of Laurel Hill Avenue and see it shining
> like a beacon in the distance.

Nope - out of my neighborhood.

> ...heck, you remember the coal tipple that used to be on the north
>side of Sakonasset Road at what's now the
> "back end" of Garden City.

Nope - out of my neighborhood.

> ...you remember Child World.

I remember standing in line at Child World to put my name on a reserve
list for a Cabbage Patch doll for my daughter. I got the call, and
had to go to the back door and knock on the fortified door, provide
identification, and wait in the dark until Esther was delivered into
my hands. My daughter LOVED that doll and she still has her.

> ...your parents would threaten to "send you to Sakonasset" when you
>were particularly bad.

With my father, it was simply called "reform school" :)

> ...your mother would say, when you made her crazy, "You're going to
>drive me to Howard!"

Nope. Probably cuz my paternal grandmother died there. I never knew
her, but from what I've been able to figure out, I think she was
majorly depressed (let's see - her husband was killed by a train, and
she was left to raise 6 kids by herself - why wouldn't she be
depresssed???). These days, a little Prozac, a little group support,
and she'd have been OK. Poor woman.

> ...you remember Reservoir Avenue when it was only two lanes.

OUt of my neighborhood. I remember when Woonsocket's Main St bypass
was built, though. And when traffic directions downtown changed,
changed again,and changed yet again.

I remember marching across the open metal grate Court Street bridge
with the Jr High and High School bands, during parades.

> ...you remember going north to Massachusetts before there was an
>interstate.

My grandmother lived down near the Cape, off Route 28. We used to go
out through Wrentham, onto 140 into Taunton, then onto 28. Going to
the Cape took hours.

> ...you have fond memories of Rocky Point, Crescent Park, and Jolly
>Cholly's.

Oh yeah. Getting sick on the rides at Rocky Point, especially that
thing that looked like 2 eggs, that whirled around while tipping head
over toes. I always liked Crescent Park better. And Jolly Cholly's
was great - they were the first ones to have that ride all day thing.

> ...you remember when Rhode Island Mall was Midland Mall.

Of course.

> ...heck, you remember when Midland Mall opened.

Of course.

> ...you remember the junkyard that used to be where Warwick Mall is
>now.
> ...you used to love the Cranston Drive-In.

Nope. I loved the Bellingham Drive-In. I managed to sneak into the
Rustic Drive In once, when it was all "x-rated" - what a howl! Naked
women and ugly guys in ugly boxers <g>

> ...you wondered if they gave out free samples at the Eclipse syrup
>plant.

Heh - yup.

> ...you remember free parking at the beach.

Yeah - and it wasn't that long ago. Darn.

> ...your mom grocery shopped at Almacs, Stop and Shop, Finast, or the
>A&P.

Finast, my foot - it was First National, first. It used to be on
Front St. in Woonsocket, across from the old police station. We
shopped at Almacs til they went under. A&P used to be within walking
distance of my house.

We're still using some of the free dishes from First National.

> ...heck, when your mom shopped at a neighborhood supermarket like
>Food Town.

Colamattis. And my father did the shopping. He was too cheap to let
anyone else spend his money.

> ...you remember Warwick Shopper's World, Niantic Mills, and the Ben
>Franklin Store.

And Nyanza!!!

When my cat died, my brother took me by the hand and walked me the 3
miles to Nyanza and bought me a kitten, then he carried it home for
me, with it's claws sticking in his chest the whole way. He named the
cat Gunboat Puff, cuz he had double paws like gunboats. I started
calling him Gumbo, and the name stuck. My big brother was great.

> ...your parents still referred to Warwick Shopper's World and Ann
>&Hope as "mill outlets" and going to one of these
> stores was "going to the mill."

Yup. We generally went to Ann and Hope at Christmas. Remember the
shopping cart conveyor thing?

> ...your parents still referred to the airport as "Hillsgrove."

I didn't know for years that it had any other name.

> ...you remember when the section of Cranston at the intersection of
>Park Avenue and Gansett Avenue was called
> "the Speedway."

Nope. But I remember the quarter mile stretch on Diamond Hill Road in
Cumberland. It's where I learned to go fast. Very very fast.

> ...you know what a "superette" and a "spa" were (and that the latter
>had nothing to do with health clubs).

Yup. Dube's Spa on Park Ave. in Woonsocket. Great hot cocoa,
especially after skating all day at Bernon Park.

> ...you remember when Bald Hill Road was almost all farms.

Nope.

> ...you remember the downtown Newport waterfront before they
>remodeled it.

Yup. It was seedy in places, but it had its charms.

> ...you remember when there wasn't a McDonald's in Rhode Island.

First McDonalds I remember was over in Taunton on Route 44.

I do remember Carrolls Hamburgers, which opened on Clinton St. in
Woonsocket. The burgers were 15 cents, and the fries were a dime.

> ...you remember Burger Chef and Jeff.

Yup :)

> ...you bought a small Del's Lemonade for only a dime, Hershey bars
>for 10 cents, popsicles a nickel, and penny
> candy--for a penny!

Yup. Dels was the best, though there were imposters around. I
remember Hershey bars for a nickel. I must be old, huh?

> ...you remember going to Stamp's Farm for eggs and Highland Orchards
>for apples.

Nope - I remember going to a chicken farm on Sayles Hill Road in North
Smithfield for eggs, and to Christiansens Orchard for apples.

> ...you passed the Narragansett Brewery on your way downtown--and
>people were working there.

Out of my neighborhood. Though summer will always be invoked by the
memory of Curt Gowdy's voice on the radio, saying "Hi, neighbor, have
a Gansett".

> ...one of the big landmarks on Post Road was the Scholes roller
>rink.

We had Joyland in Woonsocket.

> ...every time a hurricane was forecast your mom and dad or
>grandparents would immediately talk about the
> Hurricane of ‘38.

Oh yeah. And they'd fill up the bathtub with water.

> ...heck, they'd take you downtown to show you the high-water plaque
>on the Providence Journal-Bulletin building.

Nope. But I heard plenty of stories of the caskets from St. Jean
Baptiste cemetary that ended up floating down Main Street.

> ...you remember Trifari and Coro being two of the biggest employers
>in town.

Yup.

> ...instead of getting your chickens from the supermarket, your mom
>or dad went to the chicken man in Silver Lake.

Nope - Genacou's Market on South Main St. in Woonsocket.

Remember Kennedys? Cheese, homemade peanut butter, etc.? Yum.

> ...your parents took you to the Slater Zoo.

Yup.

> ...you remember Bosco and Maypo.

I HAD to have Maypo. I begged, pleaded, cajoled. Got it. Hated it.

> ...you remember the old Calart's Christmas display.

Yes. My aunt lived in a beautiful old house on Parkis Avenue in
Providence, and she worked at Hospital Trust as secretary to the
President. She used to take us to see that.

> ...you remember the big rivalry between Old Stone Bank and Citizens
>Bank.

Drawing a blank here. I remember Fred Flintstone for Old Stone Bank,
though :)

> ...the moment you drove out of Rhode Island no one had coffee milk
>or coffee ice cream any longer.

That's still pretty much true, though Starbucks is trying.

> ...you still have nightmares about "Choo-Choo" on the Railroad
>Salvage commercials. Â

LOL!!!

Thanks for the memories :)

Kimba

--You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better. Maya Angelou

Kimba

Feb 5, 2003, 2:52:16 PM2/5/03
wrote:

>And speaking of driving, you learned how to drive in the parking lot of the

>Narragansett Race Track. And you knew how to sneak into the race track at
>night by going through a remote corner of Slater Park.

I learned to drive stick shift in the parking lot at Nyanza, in
Woonsocket. There was a steep incline, hemmed in with a concrete
wall, that held the river back at that point.

My first road trip in the VW bus with the stick shift was up 146 to
Providence. I did great, sailing along, until I had to stop at the
light at Admiral Street, before going up the side of the Nabisco
building to get onto 95 near the old Louis Fink junk place.

M.L.

Feb 5, 2003, 5:17:44 PM2/5/03

"Z" <zarl...@conan.ids.net> wrote in message

lol good for you.... let's see... my first kiss was in the back of a 1959
"old" Chevy Impala.... but most of my back seat memories were in the back
of my Dad's 1969 Ford Falcon.... got any oil?

M.L.

Feb 5, 2003, 5:21:30 PM2/5/03

> On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 01:22:07 GMT, "M.L." <climb...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I remember taking my high school sweet heart to the Country Inn on
Cowesett Ave and Quaker Lane on New Years Eve.. We were both sweet 16...

> Was that the one near "the tent"? <g> We went there a few times.

yes... they reputedly had great steaks there. they kind of had seperate
dinning rooms... 4 or 5 tables maybe less per room

M.L.

Feb 5, 2003, 5:29:00 PM2/5/03

"Owen Hartnett" <ow...@xids.xnet> wrote in message

Or how about Dialing for Dollars with Charlie Geffards (spelling?)

czf

Feb 5, 2003, 5:46:33 PM2/5/03
"M.L." <climb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

"Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a color tv?
Dialing for Dollars is trying to find me.
I wait for delivery each day until three.
So, oh Lord, won't you buy me a color tv?"

Still have the original album, in vinyl.

M.L.

Feb 5, 2003, 6:06:14 PM2/5/03

"czf" <rac...@deckards.piano> wrote in message
\
"Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz

"Oh, Lord, won't you buy me ............

czf

Feb 5, 2003, 6:21:49 PM2/5/03
"M.L." <climb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GNg0a.109154

> > > Or how about Dialing for Dollars with Charlie Geffards (spelling?)
> >
> > "Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a color tv?
> > Dialing for Dollars is trying to find me.
> > I wait for delivery each day until three.
> > So, oh Lord, won't you buy me a color tv?"
> >
> > Still have the original album, in vinyl.
> >

> \
> "Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz
>
> "Oh, Lord, won't you buy me ............

You looking for the rest of the song?

"Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends
So, oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town?
I'm counting on you, Lord, please don't let me down
Prove that you love me and buy the next round
So, oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town?

Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a color tv?
Dialing for Dollars is trying to find me

I wait for delivery each day until three

So, oh Lord, won't you buy me a color tv?

Everybody -

Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends
So, oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

That's all (cackle laughter)"

Tony Pelliccio

Feb 5, 2003, 7:00:22 PM2/5/03
In article <c4g0a.109029$GX4.4...@news2.east.cox.net>, climber1957
@hotmail.com says...

Oh hell, pre-car on the campus of Providence College.

Tony

Linda M. Young

Feb 5, 2003, 7:08:09 PM2/5/03
On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:06:26 -0500, henny...@cox.net (Anne) wrote:

>And wasn't there a discount palace named Warwick Shopper's World? I have
>this echo in my head of radio ads that sang, "Wahwick Shoppiz World,
>Wahwick Shoppiz World... something something big savings, Wahwick Shoppiz
>World."
> (Am I dreaming this?)

The song or Warwick Shopper's World? <g> Yeah, there were a couple of
them, the original being in...surprise!...Warwick. <Bg> I remember
when instead of hanging things up on racks they just piled them up on
a big square display counter and you had to hunt through them for your
size.

It was eventually absorbed by Zayre's.

Linda M. Young

Feb 5, 2003, 7:11:33 PM2/5/03
On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 22:29:00 GMT, "M.L." <climb...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Or how about Dialing for Dollars with Charlie Geffards (spelling?)

Jeffords, I think it was.

Anyone recall "Eye Guess" with Jay Kroll? It was like a five minute
guessing game on after the news...I think it was the news. Kroll would
show a highly magnified view of part of an object (like a sponge, or a
gear), and you had to guess what it was. I can't remember if people
called in to guess or if he called someone and asked if they were
watching. If you guessed you won some kind of small prize.

Linda M. Young

Feb 5, 2003, 7:13:18 PM2/5/03
On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 13:19:28 GMT, "Albert Sepe" <al...@cox.net> wrote:

> Brosky's or was it Brodsky's

Brodsky's, yeah, the toy store!

M.L.

Feb 5, 2003, 8:03:31 PM2/5/03

"Linda M. Young" <jly...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

when you are 6 you lived for that store

M.L.

Feb 5, 2003, 8:04:27 PM2/5/03

"czf" <rac...@deckards.piano> wrote in message

That was done by Janis Joplin? right?

M.L.

Feb 5, 2003, 8:06:35 PM2/5/03

"czf" <rac...@deckards.piano> wrote in message

ok all together now

czf

Feb 5, 2003, 8:49:17 PM2/5/03
"M.L." <climb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vwi0a.109393

> That was done by Janis Joplin? right?

(whump upside the head)

The Pearl Album, Janis Joplin.

She did it acapella, accompanied only by the thumping of her foot on the
floor.

Jeez ... these kids nowadays ....

;-)

pla

Feb 5, 2003, 9:33:02 PM2/5/03
> ok all together now

"Picture yourself in a boat by a river,
with tangerine trees and marmalade skies..."

- pla

Kimba

Feb 5, 2003, 10:49:13 PM2/5/03
On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 01:49:17 GMT, "czf" <rac...@deckards.piano>
wrote:

>Jeez ... these kids nowadays ....

No kiddin'.

Jeeeesh.

Kimba

Feb 5, 2003, 10:49:53 PM2/5/03

Well, OK, but it wasn't Janis :)

Owen Hartnett

Feb 6, 2003, 12:18:53 AM2/6/03

For me, it's growing up in nearby Fall River, but so many are the same,
so I'll butt in:

In article <jio24v4ubeiunbg5o...@4ax.com>, Kimba
<kimbagol...@whirlednet.att.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:00:20 GMT, Norm <no...@lvcm.com> wrote:
>
> >You Grew Up in Rhode Island During the 1960s * If...
> >

> >* ...or maybe earlier.
> >

> > ...you cried when Salty Brine's collie Jeff died.
>
> Yup. On the show, too.

I remember Hank Bouchard, who regularly filled in for Salty on Salty's
days off (he also curiously wore a cowboy outfit, for some reason)
becoming very serious and telling us that the things that the Three
Stooges did to each other were fake and that we shouldn't do them to
our brothers and sisters. (Now I guess there'd be lawsuits.)

> > ...you remember Sara Wye, Franz Laubert, and Jay Kroll.
>
> Yup yup yup.

and the stupid jingle "But nobody doesn't like Sara Wye!"

> > ...you remember Jack Comley and Dick Pace.
>
> OK, I know I should, but I can't place 'em.

I remember Comley.

> > ...you remember the Outlet Company at Christmastime: Toyland in the
> >basement and the Christmas windows.
>
> Yup. It was pretty darned awesome.

To me, Christmas meant downtown Fall River, with Kresge's, Woolworth's,
and Newbury's all lined up in one block, like ships of the fleet. But
the big store was McWhirr's, which had pneumatic tubes all over the
place and strange gong sounds always happening. The Salvation Army
Santa would clang away out front while the beggar with one leg (there
was always a beggar with one leg in front of that store, like he rented
the real estate or something) had his cup out. McWhirr's had huge
gamefish mounted on the walls, Marlon, Swordfish, and Tarpon. My
mother used to bore us to pieces by taking us with her to "look at
patterns" in the huge books in the back of the store.

> > ...you once ate at the Ming Garden or the Waldorf Cafeteria.
>
> Oh man, the Ming. My Dad died when I was 16. He was a patient at the
> VA (which he and some of his WWI cronies were responsbile for getting
> built), and my Mom didn't drive at that time. On Sundays, we'd take
> the bus into Kennedy Plaza, catch a connecting bus from across the
> street under a tunnel (or a bridge?). Coming back, we'd go to the
> Ming for dinner before catching the late bus back to Woonsocket.

I worked in the Industrial Bank Bldg, so the Ming Garden was a regular
lunch stop. Loved those chicken wings with that dark sauce (molasses
based?).

> > ...your parents would threaten to "send you to Sakonasset" when you
> >were particularly bad.
>
> With my father, it was simply called "reform school" :)

In Fall River, it was Ruggles School, which is where you had to go to
get a doctor's permit to let you back into school if you were more than
a week sick. I remember going in and seeing the kids in there, looking
downtrodden and depressed.

> > ...you have fond memories of Rocky Point, Crescent Park, and Jolly
> >Cholly's.
>
> Oh yeah. Getting sick on the rides at Rocky Point, especially that
> thing that looked like 2 eggs, that whirled around while tipping head
> over toes. I always liked Crescent Park better. And Jolly Cholly's
> was great - they were the first ones to have that ride all day thing.

Went to all three, but our favorite was Lincoln Park in North
Dartmouth, which, IMHO, was better than all of them. Best roller
coaster, best fun house. Even saw the three stooges there. (No,
didn't act out their routines with my brothers...well, hardly ever.)

Liked the clam cakes at Rocky Point, strange yellowish things. Jolly
Cholly's was so small...drive by there today and you wonder where it
all was, but there wasn't much there...went to Burger Chef for the
first time on the way to Jolly Cholly's...my aunt was driving and
Herman's Hermit's "Henry VIII" came on and she said "That's my
boyfriend."

Burger Chef Ad:

"Fifteen cents...a nickle and a dime...
At Burger Chef, you'll get <something> every time!
Yes, a nickle and a dime will get...get
French Fried Potatoes, A Real Thick Shake!
And the Greatest Fifteen cent, Hamburger yet!"

> Nope. I loved the Bellingham Drive-In. I managed to sneak into the
> Rustic Drive In once, when it was all "x-rated" - what a howl! Naked
> women and ugly guys in ugly boxers <g>

There was a theater in Fall River that usually played pornos, but on
Saturdays would run a horror movie or two, which was the only time I
went there. The place reeked of urine, though. Saw "Village of the
Damned" there.

> > ...you remember free parking at the beach.
>
> Yeah - and it wasn't that long ago. Darn.

Paddy Murphy Day at Horseneck Beach. I was, as you might expect,
mostly a goody-two-shoes, so I had enough brownie points saved up, that
when I did skip school on Paddy Murphy day to go to Horseneck and get
drunk, my parents covered for me, and I skipped the usual detention.

> Finast, my foot - it was First National, first. It used to be on
> Front St. in Woonsocket, across from the old police station. We
> shopped at Almacs til they went under. A&P used to be within walking
> distance of my house.

That's right, First National. A couple of them in Fall River.

> We're still using some of the free dishes from First National.

And I used to pour through "The Golden Book Encyclopedia" that my
grandmother bought the next volume for me at Stop & Shop. Still
remember a lot of them when I look at one now.

> > ...you remember Warwick Shopper's World, Niantic Mills, and the Ben
> >Franklin Store.
>
> And Nyanza!!!

In Fall River, it was Arlen's (which was subsequently destroyed in one
of the City's most spectacular fires). Every Saturday, everyone in
Fall River went to Arlen's.

> When my cat died, my brother took me by the hand and walked me the 3
> miles to Nyanza and bought me a kitten, then he carried it home for
> me, with it's claws sticking in his chest the whole way. He named the
> cat Gunboat Puff, cuz he had double paws like gunboats. I started
> calling him Gumbo, and the name stuck. My big brother was great.

Newbury's downtown was where first of all you got parakeet overdose as
soon as you went down the stairs, and where you bought all those
goldfish that died the next day.

> > ...you remember the downtown Newport waterfront before they
> >remodeled it.
>
> Yup. It was seedy in places, but it had its charms.

I remember bars like the "skipper's dock," where ugly strippers seduced
randy sailors, occasionally.

> Out of my neighborhood. Though summer will always be invoked by the
> memory of Curt Gowdy's voice on the radio, saying "Hi, neighbor, have
> a Gansett".

Or Ken Coleman, or Ned Martin.

> > ...one of the big landmarks on Post Road was the Scholes roller
> >rink.
>
> We had Joyland in Woonsocket.

Lincoln Park, bowling and roller skating.

> > ...every time a hurricane was forecast your mom and dad or
> >grandparents would immediately talk about the

> > Hurricane of ‘38.

> Oh yeah. And they'd fill up the bathtub with water.

It's mostly the hurricane of 54 that I heard about, when my Uncle lost
his seaside cottage at horseneck and the Stone Bridge in Tiverton blew
out.

> Remember Kennedys? Cheese, homemade peanut butter, etc.? Yum.

The smell from the cheese would hit your nose like a wet rag the minute
you walked in. Don't forget Mr. Peanut.

> > ...you remember Bosco and Maypo.
>
> I HAD to have Maypo. I begged, pleaded, cajoled. Got it. Hated it.

Obligatory childhood memorization:

"I hate Bosco,
It's full of TNT.
Mommy puts it in my milk to try to poison me.
I fool Mommy.
I put it in her tea.
Now there is no Mommy, to try to poison me."

I read in later years that the Bosco song parody became the de rigeur
study in marketing on how not to write a jingle.

-Owen

pla

Feb 6, 2003, 2:33:00 AM2/6/03
> Well, OK, but it wasn't Janis :)

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
Nothin', I mean nothin' hon' if it ain't free
Yeah, feelin' good was easy Lord, when he sang the blues
Yeah, feelin' good was good enough for me
Good enough for me and my Bobby Mcgee"

- pla

Feb 6, 2003, 4:11:49 AM2/6/03
Owen Hartnett <ow...@xids.xnet> wrote:
: "Fifteen cents...a nickle and a dime...

: At Burger Chef, you'll get <something> every time!

you'll eat better every time.

Incrediburgable Burgef Chef!

http://www.dcrtv.net/mb0206a.html

czf

Feb 6, 2003, 6:30:50 AM2/6/03

> For me, it's growing up in nearby Fall River, but so many are the same,
> so I'll butt in:

> Went to all three, but our favorite was Lincoln Park in North
> Dartmouth,

On Route 6, right? Oh, yeah.

> Paddy Murphy Day at Horseneck Beach. I was, as you might expect,
> mostly a goody-two-shoes, so I had enough brownie points saved up, that
> when I did skip school on Paddy Murphy day to go to Horseneck and get
> drunk, my parents covered for me, and I skipped the usual detention.

I was a Grove Rat at the time, and used to rollerskate at the arcade down
the street.

> Obligatory childhood memorization:
>
> "I hate Bosco,
> It's full of TNT.
> Mommy puts it in my milk to try to poison me.
> I fool Mommy.
> I put it in her tea.
> Now there is no Mommy, to try to poison me."

(sung to the tune of .... crap, can't remember the song, military I think,
with flutes)

"Comet, It makes your mouth turn green
Comet, It's worse than Listerine
Comet, it makes you vomit,
Why don't you try Comet, and vomit today"

Now this one was sung to the tune of the theme song to "Branded"

"Stranded, stranded on the toilet bowl
What do you do when you're stranded
And can't reach the roll?
To prove you're a man
You must wipe it with your hand.
Stranded."

Don Mac Phee

Feb 6, 2003, 10:54:20 AM2/6/03

"Tony Pelliccio" <ton...@cox.takemeout2.net> wrote in message

And why did they let you out? ;)

-Don

Owen Hartnett

Feb 6, 2003, 11:38:02 AM2/6/03
In article <KHr0a.8793$be.5875@rwcrnsc53>, czf <rac...@deckards.piano>
wrote:

> "Owen Hartnett" <ow...@xids.xnet> wrote in message
> >
> > For me, it's growing up in nearby Fall River, but so many are the same,
> > so I'll butt in:
>
> > Went to all three, but our favorite was Lincoln Park in North
> > Dartmouth,
>
> On Route 6, right? Oh, yeah.

Yeah. At the end of the Fun house, they had the "magic carpet" where
you sat on a sofa which collapsed into a giant conveyor belt which
carried you to downstairs.

> (sung to the tune of .... crap, can't remember the song, military I think,
> with flutes)
>
> "Comet, It makes your mouth turn green
> Comet, It's worse than Listerine
> Comet, it makes you vomit,
> Why don't you try Comet, and vomit today"

That would be the Colonel Bogey March from the movie "Bridge on the
River Kwai". I think it's done with a chorus whistling, rather than
flutes.

> Now this one was sung to the tune of the theme song to "Branded"
>
> "Stranded, stranded on the toilet bowl
> What do you do when you're stranded
> And can't reach the roll?
> To prove you're a man
> You must wipe it with your hand.
> Stranded."

I loved that show, and the original lyrics. One conjures up all kinds
of images particularly at the line that went:

"Wherever you go for the rest of your life,
you must prove......you're a man!"

Married with Children did a particularly funny takeoff on this one
episode.

-Owen

Kimba

Feb 6, 2003, 9:58:36 PM2/6/03

Janis sang it better'n the songwriter himself did.

Busted flat in Baton Rouge,
Waitin' for a train,
And feelin' near as faded as my jeans.
Bobby thumbed a diesel down
Just before it rained,
Took us all the way to New Orleans.

Sigh.

czf

Feb 6, 2003, 10:03:57 PM2/6/03
"Kimba" <kimbagol...@whirlednet.att.net> wrote in message

> On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 07:33:00 GMT, pla <p...@tmok.com> wrote:
>
> >> Well, OK, but it wasn't Janis :)
> >
> >"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
> >Nothin', I mean nothin' hon' if it ain't free
> >Yeah, feelin' good was easy Lord, when he sang the blues
> >Yeah, feelin' good was good enough for me
> >Good enough for me and my Bobby Mcgee"
> >

> Janis sang it better'n the songwriter himself did.
>
> Busted flat in Baton Rouge,
> Waitin' for a train,
> And feelin' near as faded as my jeans.
> Bobby thumbed a diesel down
> Just before it rained,
> Took us all the way to New Orleans.

I pulled my Harpoon outta my dirty red bandana
I's playing soft while Bobby sang the blues, ohoh,
Windshield wipers slapping time, I's holding Bobby's hand in mine,
We sang every song that driver knew.

Kimba

Feb 6, 2003, 10:06:12 PM2/6/03
On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 05:18:53 GMT, Owen Hartnett <ow...@xids.xnet>
wrote:

>> And Nyanza!!!
>
>In Fall River, it was Arlen's (which was subsequently destroyed in one
>of the City's most spectacular fires). Every Saturday, everyone in
>Fall River went to Arlen's.

We had Social Department Store, which was right a Social Corner
(pronounced "Social Qwehhn" for some reason. They sold Social Bargain
Club coupon books that you paid for at 10% a week - $100 would cost
you $10 a week, and if you were the club secretary, you earned 10% of
what you sold.

I bought the black dress for my father's funeral there.

I bought the dress I wore on my first real date there.

I bought my kids first shoes there.

They went upscale and moved and closed pretty quickly after that.

thanks, Owen - it was nice reading your memories :)

Kimba

Feb 6, 2003, 10:07:42 PM2/6/03
On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:38:02 GMT, Owen Hartnett <ow...@xids.xnet>
wrote:

>I loved that show, and the original lyrics. One conjures up all kinds

>of images particularly at the line that went:
>
>"Wherever you go for the rest of your life,
>you must prove......you're a man!"

I loved that show, too.

I had a crush on him when he was The Rifleman.

Owen Hartnett

Feb 7, 2003, 12:04:13 PM2/7/03
In article <j0864vscpqr55412f...@4ax.com>, Kimba
<kimbagol...@whirlednet.att.net> wrote:

> Janis sang it better'n the songwriter himself did.

What other songs were sung better when remade by other people?

The Rolling Stones and the Beatles sang Chuck Berry songs better than
Chuck Berry did. (Examples: "Carol" and "Little Queenie" on the Stones
"Get Yer Ya-ya's Out" live album - best cuts on the album. I would
love to hear the Stones put out an album of all Chuck Berry! )

Peter, Paul and Mary did a better job with "Don't think Twice, It's all
right" than Dylan did.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett

Feb 7, 2003, 12:17:10 PM2/7/03
In article <dn864v4tcu36n5lvs...@4ax.com>, Kimba
<kimbagol...@whirlednet.att.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:38:02 GMT, Owen Hartnett <ow...@xids.xnet>
> wrote:
>
> >I loved that show, and the original lyrics. One conjures up all kinds
> >of images particularly at the line that went:
> >
> >"Wherever you go for the rest of your life,
> >you must prove......you're a man!"
>
> I loved that show, too.
>
> I had a crush on him when he was The Rifleman.

Wasn't Johnny Crawford (I think that's who played his son) a hot sex
symbol for a brief period of time?

Oblig. Trivia: Chuck Connors (the Rifleman, and star of Branded) once
played for the Boston Celtics.

-Owen

czf

Feb 7, 2003, 12:30:29 PM2/7/03
"Owen Hartnett" <ow...@xids.xnet> wrote in message

Rod Stewart did "The First Cut is the Deepest" better than Cat Stevens did.

Cat Stevens did "Morning has Broken" better than Eleanor Farjeon and Carlton
Young did.

Owen Hartnett

Feb 7, 2003, 3:17:26 PM2/7/03
In article <V2S0a.26118$Ec4....@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>, czf
<rac...@deckards.piano> wrote:

> Cat Stevens did "Morning has Broken" better than Eleanor Farjeon and Carlton
> Young did.

Sometimes there are just performances that cannot be done better.
That's one of them (the Cat Stevens one).

-Owen, who is occasionally, but not often, surprised at exceptions to
the above rule.

pla

Feb 7, 2003, 3:33:03 PM2/7/03
> What other songs were sung better when remade by other people?

> What other songs were sung better when remade by other people?

I know some people will call this blasphemy (I almost
would myself), but the Beatles' "Across the Universe"
done by Fiona Apple.

Queen's "Who Wants to Live Forever" done by Sarah Brightman.

Willy Dix's "I Can't Quit You Baby" done by Led Zeppelin.

Tori Amos' cover of The Boomtown Rats' "I Don't Like
Mondays". Or, more obscurely (ie, good luck finding a
copy), Neil Young's "The Needle and the Damage Done".

Bitstream Dream's cover of Unit187's "Anger Management" (you
can even listen to this one legally online, from mp3.com:
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/41/bitstream_dream.html

Yes' cover of "Amazing Grace". Just amazing, powerful
guitar work, though it decays at the end.

- pla

pla

Feb 7, 2003, 3:33:03 PM2/7/03
> > What other songs were sung better when remade by other people?

Ah, forgot one of the most obvious - Bruce Springsteen's
"Because the Night" covered by 10000 Maniacs.

- pla

Anne

Feb 7, 2003, 3:52:29 PM2/7/03
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble's 1984 stripped-down electric cover
of Elmore James's "The Sky is Crying," included on a 2000 posthumous SRV
blues compilation CD, "Blues at Sunrise."

This is an amazing wail of a song with a thumping base line and crying
lead guitar somewhere between Hendrix and Albert King. (It's different
from -- better than -- the cut of the same song recorded later for
Vaughan's album "The Sky is Crying.")

- Anne
Just MHO of course!

Feb 7, 2003, 5:02:37 PM2/7/03
pla <p...@tmok.com> wrote:
: Tori Amos' cover of The Boomtown Rats' "I Don't Like

: Mondays". Or, more obscurely (ie, good luck finding a

They wrote that song after reading about a cheerleader who took
a gun to school and shot some fellow students. That's the excuse
she gave to the cops when they arrested her.
(According to VH-1)

From http://www.hereinmyhead.com/collect/strange/slg9.html :

tell me why
i don't like mondays
tell me why
i don't like mondays
i don't like
i don't like
i don't like mondays
tell me why
i don't like mondays
i want to shoot
the whole day down, down, down
shoot it all down
heeyeea

Feb 7, 2003, 5:03:18 PM2/7/03
pla <p...@tmok.com> wrote:
:> > What other songs were sung better when remade by other people?

: Ah, forgot one of the most obvious - Bruce Springsteen's
: "Because the Night" covered by 10000 Maniacs.

You like that better than Patti Smith's version?

Kimba

Feb 7, 2003, 5:49:10 PM2/7/03
On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 03:03:57 GMT, "czf" <rac...@deckards.piano>
wrote:

Oh freedom's just another word

for nothin' left to lose

Nothin' - that's all that Bobby left me, yeah-eahhhhh
Oh feeling good was easy, Lord, when he sang the blues,
feeling good was good enough for me-eee-eeeeeeeee
Good enough for me and my Bobby McGee.

Big frikkin sigh.

Kimba

Feb 7, 2003, 5:49:57 PM2/7/03
On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 17:17:10 GMT, Owen Hartnett <ow...@xids.xnet>
wrote:

>In article <dn864v4tcu36n5lvs...@4ax.com>, Kimba
><kimbagol...@whirlednet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:38:02 GMT, Owen Hartnett <ow...@xids.xnet>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I loved that show, and the original lyrics. One conjures up all kinds
>> >of images particularly at the line that went:
>> >
>> >"Wherever you go for the rest of your life,
>> >you must prove......you're a man!"
>>
>> I loved that show, too.
>>
>> I had a crush on him when he was The Rifleman.
>

>Wasn't Johnny Crawford (I think that's who played his son) a hot sex
>symbol for a brief period of time?

Well, never to me. I always liked 'em older :)

>Oblig. Trivia: Chuck Connors (the Rifleman, and star of Branded) once
>played for the Boston Celtics.

Oh mannnnnnnnnnn - I missed him in the shorts???????????

Heartbroken in the North Country

pla

Feb 7, 2003, 6:33:02 PM2/7/03
> You like that better than Patti Smith's version?

Offhand, I can't think of Patti Smith's version, though
I do like her style normally. But regardless, 10000
Maniacs did it better than Bruce.

- pla

Kimba

Feb 7, 2003, 7:42:10 PM2/7/03
On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 17:04:13 GMT, Owen Hartnett <ow...@xids.xnet>
wrote:

>In article <j0864vscpqr55412f...@4ax.com>, Kimba

This one is sort of a toss-up. James Taylor's "You've Got a Friend"
vs Carole King's version. While Tapestry remains one of my all-time
favorite albums, I think JT has an edge on this song.

Sticking with the same album, Aretha's Natural Woman stands head and
shoulders above King's cut.

Gordon Lightfoot's Early Morning Rain was better done by Peter, Paul
and Mary.

Conversely, Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You",
which he wrote, is far superior to Rod Stewart's.

IMO, of course :)

Linda M. Young

Feb 9, 2003, 1:04:48 AM2/9/03
Look! A Burger Chef site!!!

Linda
"I'm from Rhode Island...
I only work in Georgia."

Thomas M. Reynolds

Feb 9, 2003, 6:52:55 AM2/9/03
"Linda M. Young" wrote:

The first one I knew of was near the Cranston YMCA. Less than a half
buck for a meal of a burger @$.15, fries @$.15, and vanilla shake@$.15.

Feb 9, 2003, 6:56:30 AM2/9/03
Norm <no...@lvcm.com> wrote:
: You Grew Up in Rhode Island During the 1960s * If...

You copied that from
http://www.flyingdreams.org/personal/nosttime.htm !

dmhad...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2018, 10:05:57 PM8/1/18
I went to the same rollar skating rink scholes then we called it hillgrove

d.usualb...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2018, 8:18:17 AM8/16/18
Does anyone remember the name of the Drug store on Park Ave that sold penny candy? We use to stop in there on the way to Park Ave Junior High. It would be in the section between Rolf St and St Matthews-I am pretty sure.

mered...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2020, 1:20:11 PM6/22/20
On Tuesday, February 4, 2003 at 8:22:07 PM UTC-5, M.L. wrote:
> I remember taking my high school
> sweet heart to the Country Inn on Cowesett Ave and Quaker Lane on New Years
> Eve.. We were both sweet 16...

Was this place next to Warwick Musical Theater???

Robert A

Sep 20, 2022, 5:53:22 PM9/20/22
Love all of this! Killed me when I joined the Air Force and all I got was strange looks when I asked for coffee milk anywhere I went.