Need help from someone with Win95 expertise

som...@somenet.net

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

I have a roomate that I let use my computer at nights while I sleep.
He's kind of a smut hound, but twice now I've found pictures of nude
children in his private directory. He blows it off, and says that
he's just downloaded a batch of pictures and hasn't had time to look
through them all. They aren't labled with anything other than
numbers.
What I want to know is how I can monitor his activities and see if
he's looking for this shit. He's pretty good about wiping out his
directory before I get up in the morning, so can I do a timed backup,
with a batch file, in DOS that isn't detectable? Something that would
do an xcopy c:\pictures\*.* without him knowing. Then I could check
and see what he's looking for. Also, is there anything that would
capture his keystrokes so that I'd know what he'd done? He uses free
agent and netscape, 16-bit, under windows 95. I need proof before I
confront this slimeball and toss him out. I've confronted him before,
because I want to work with kids someday and not only is it WRONG, but
I'm afraid it could ruin my career. But I want proof before I throw
him out.
Don't email me personally. Post to the group.
Thanx
Fred

D.A. Hacker

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

som...@somenet.net wrote:

*snip*

> What I want to know is how I can monitor his activities and see if
> he's looking for this shit. He's pretty good about wiping out his
> directory before I get up in the morning, so can I do a timed backup,
> with a batch file, in DOS that isn't detectable? Something that would
> do an xcopy c:\pictures\*.* without him knowing. Then I could check

*snip*

Go to http://www.vcalpha.com/silicon/episteme.html and look around for a
"key logger" program -- it will record his keyboard actions to a hidden
file in the background. If it's a newer Win95-specific program, it *may*
record his mouse actions as well.

### READ ME FIRST!! ###
## fake addresses in header and below for usenet-scanning sp#mbots ##
## replace with real address if replying via e-mail ##
++ nf...@internetmci.com | Donald A. Hacker
S_P_#_M ++ cust...@email.usps.gov | -that's-
J_A_M ++ consum...@ftc.gov | dhacker at
++ postmaster@[127.0.0.1] | pacbell 'dot' net
++ remote-printer.this-i...@14043474725.iddd.tpc.int
I don't like junk mail. I forward all evidence of possible fraud to the
National Fraud Info Center, USPS, FDA, FTC and others as I see fit, to
include faxes of your web pages. I reserve the right to post any mail
sent to me publicly. You have been warned.
It's Disneyland under martial law!...
- The Boomtown Rats

Adam Felson

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

Why bother? Windoze95 will corupt itself without any outside help at all.

Only microsoft could make it acceptable for a computer to crash every four
hours of use, trashing the files every 10th crash.

panhead

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

som...@somenet.net wrote:

> I have a roomate that I let use my computer at nights while I sleep.
> He's kind of a smut hound, but twice now I've found pictures of nude
> children in his private directory.
>snip<

Don't let him use the computer any more. Password it so it won't boot
up.
Problem solved.
Delete all his files.

dast...@mail.entrsft.com

Jan 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/20/97

On 1/17/97 5:51AM, in message <32e558fe...@news.communique.net>, John Q.
Public <jcch...@uspis.gov> wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
> On Fri, 17 Jan 1997 02:15:14 GMT, El...@fudd.com (Elmer the Wabbit
> Eater) wrote:
>
> >jcch...@uspis.gov (John Q. Public) spewed forth:
> >

> >>:Suspicion is all the police need for a warrent.
> >
> >Beg to differ. Police need "probable cause" for a warrant. This far
> >exceeds mere suspicion. However, if it is his computer, he can invite
> >the police experts to browse it to their hearts content "without" a
> >warrant.
>
> You mean I can file a complaint against the cops that put up a road
> block, stopped every car, checked my license and insurance then let
> their dog sniff around my van?

No a road block is common practice as long as they do not discriminately stop
vehicles (e.g. they must decide if they are going to stop every veh, every
third veh etc. ahead of time) unless they have something suspicious on a veh
out of the pattern like weaving or pot smoke pouring out of the windows etc.

Other than a roadblock they don't need probable cause, just 'articulate
suspicion' which is a lesser degree than pc. But a hunch is not good enough.
The dog is in itself a probable cause tool and if the dog indicates that
contraband is present, then they have their pc for a warrant, but can do a
warrantless search under the automobile exception (emergency search)

As far as evidence on the puter, if your roommate tries to get you into
trouble and blames stuff on you, then they need a warrant to search your
computer, but if you tell them first because of you concern that you may get
blamed for it, and allow them to, they don't need one. You might want to do
this before things get out of hand. They can undelete and maybe a few other
things if you have a larger dept. and they have the capacity to mess with it.
might even go federal.

Have you thought about changing the password and telling him to get his own
computer?

> -={[ If you want my email address, ask ]}=-

Barney Rubble

Jan 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/20/97
som...@somenet.net wrote:

> I have a roomate that I let use my computer at nights while I sleep.
> He's kind of a smut hound, but twice now I've found pictures of nude
> children in his private directory. He blows it off, and says that
> he's just downloaded a batch of pictures and hasn't had time to look
> through them all. They aren't labled with anything other than
> numbers.
> What I want to know is how I can monitor his activities and see if
> he's looking for this shit. He's pretty good about wiping out his
> directory before I get up in the morning, so can I do a timed backup,
> with a batch file, in DOS that isn't detectable? Something that would
> do an xcopy c:\pictures\*.* without him knowing. Then I could check
> and see what he's looking for. Also, is there anything that would
> capture his keystrokes so that I'd know what he'd done? He uses free
> agent and netscape, 16-bit, under windows 95. I need proof before I
> confront this slimeball and toss him out. I've confronted him before,
> because I want to work with kids someday and not only is it WRONG, but
> I'm afraid it could ruin my career. But I want proof before I throw
> him out.
> Don't email me personally. Post to the group.
> Thanx
> Fred
Well Fred>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
All you need do is look in the "cache" if it's Netscape or MIE3.0 or
3.1.
Also in MSIE3.x look in the history folder.
It shows everywhere one has been (Including you)
Disturbing isn't it?
Also look in occache or anywhere that the is a temp file storage....
You might also want to educate yourself about "cookies".
They are little presents that web pages leave behind in your computer.
(By the way, why are you using the 16 bit version of netscape under win
95? Go get the 32 bit version).
To see what the numbered pictures are, associate the files with a good
viewer like viewprint.(The files shoud look like 123.jpg or .gif.)
I will upload the shareware version of it here...Viewpro 5.0 for Win 95
In addition, I am enclosing the best PC security program I've seen.
Download it, enable the keyboard monitor and voila!!!
ALSO, you can use it to LOCK him out of your computer.
Hope this helps.
Any other questions just ask.
I know EVERYTHING!! :)
--
MZ
pcsec16.zip

Lon Stowell

Jan 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/20/97

In article <32e654ff...@news.communique.net>,
John Q. Public <The.abov...@is.a.fake.one.org> wrote:
>All you have to do is undelete. Unless he is using some sort of
>special file deleter it will work fine.

If he knows anything at all about Windows/95, this is not true.
You can easily delete files and even clean up the Netscape cache and
the Netscape History file with a few klicks.

>Suspicion is all the police need for a warrent. Just suspecting he
>has the crap on *your* computer is enough to warrent suspension/loss
>of his privledges.

Bummer, but worse than not true. If the info is on YOUR computer,
you are more likely to be the bustee than a roommate.

If the original poster is really interested in dealing with the
matter, simply set up W/95 with a password and DON'T give it
to the roommate.

Barney Rubble

Jan 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/20/97
Screen shots from PC Security

--
MZ

keybmon.gif
slckstng.gif
finger.gif

Lady Madonna

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

William Holland wrote:
> I gotta step in here.
>
> I've been using Win95 for over a year now and it has not crashed once,
> nor have I had any problems with it.
>
> W. Holland

Then you're not *doing* anything with it.

Lon Stowell

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

In article <32E429...@flash.net>, Barney Rubble <bea...@flash.net> wrote:

The posting of which on Newsnet, which, unfortunately is not
yet a felony.....

Anyway, onto content which parts of are not in MIME--which is for
actors with lousy voices, not newsnet.

Worse, Barney claims to "know everything" but then the omniscient
budding net.genius proceeds to POST A FREAKIN BINARY to a
non-binary newsgroup.

>Well Fred>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>All you need do is look in the "cache" if it's Netscape or MIE3.0 or
>3.1.
>Also in MSIE3.x look in the history folder.
>It shows everywhere one has been (Including you)
>Disturbing isn't it?

Unfortunately all the other person needs to do is remove
the *.hst file in Netscape and delete the cache folder...and
similar things for MSIE, so if the roommate is computer literate
you will have a hard time catching them doing anything.

Worse, unless the machine is partitioned into "users" it would
be impossible to prove whether not you surfed the offending
sites or someone else did.

Even worse, kiddie porn websites tend to get busted a LOT...and
your computer's address is extremely likely to be in their
server logfiles, which could be a bit difficult to explain
if the FBI doesn't buy your story that it was "your roommate".
Kiddie porn websites tend to be extremely shortlived, as many
are bootlegged, and the ISP's of busted sites tend to be extremely
cooperative in giving access information away to keep their own
hindquarters outta the sling.

It is harder to prove much with other sources such as private
newsgroups and ftp type gathering which don't leave such nice
footprints.

>Also look in occache or anywhere that the is a temp file storage....
>You might also want to educate yourself about "cookies".
>They are little presents that web pages leave behind in your computer.

Not if you make the cookies.txt file read only.

som...@somenet.net

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997 22:16:38 GMT, sle...@third.shift.com (Lord Sleepy)
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jan 1997 22:53:49 GMT, the alleged som...@somenet.net, may have
>posted the following, to alt.revenge:

>>I have a roomate that I let use my computer at nights while I sleep.
>>He's kind of a smut hound, but twice now I've found pictures of nude
>>children in his private directory.
>

><snip>
>
>What is he using to download these files (Netscape, Internet Explorer,
>Agent, Free Agent, Gravity or something else), also are you running Norton
>Navigator and or Norton Utilities for Win95 (this might make things a bit
>easier). More info is needed.
>
> Regards,
> Sleepy (no not that other substandard "sle...@os.com")

He's using Free Agent 32 bit. In answer to your other comments, no,
he's not that computer literate, but I am. He wouldn't know to delete
any fat files, such as the *.hst file or *.fat file in Netscape, but
he's not using Netscape.

What I'm wondering is if there is a little program, shareware or
otherwise, that can record his keystrokes. Then I could spot text
entries when he enters key words for searches.

I'm also well aware of the danger of FBI stuff, so I'm planning on
doing a harddrive search for jpgs and gifs and text files, just in
case, but I still want to find proof that he's actively seeking this
crap before I confront him. Until now, he's claiming that this stuff
is just in "regular" smut newsgroups, like the binaries, and that it's
identified with only an obscure alphanumeric file name so that he
doesn't know what it is until he's looked at it.

The harddrive is not partitioned.

More stuff to mull over. Thanks for your time, Som...@some.net

Morail

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

jcch...@uspis.gov (John Q. Public) wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes

> On Thu, 16 Jan 1997 22:53:49 GMT, som...@somenet.net wrote:

>>he's looking for this shit. He's pretty good about wiping out his
>>directory before I get up in the morning, so can I do a timed backup,
>>with a batch file, in DOS that isn't detectable? Something that would

>All you have to do is undelete. Unless he is using some sort of

>special file deleter it will work fine.

--Warning: make sure that Win95's file lock system is turned off
before you try to undelete-- otherwise your computer will lock up
and/or crash --(it is trying to be smart and protect "long file name
integrity")

chris

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

Lady Madonna beat me to the response, to which I must toast a mug of
cocoa. What _has_ Holland been doing with that OS for a year that its
memory management hasn't screwed him out of a bunch of data in repeated
crashes? This is what keeps "certified Microsoft Professionals"
employed, you see, screwy un-user-friendly and unstable OSs that are . .
. well, if I keep goind you'll guess what OS I use....
--chris

Barney Rubble

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97
to Lon Stowell
Lon Stowell wrote:

===snip===

Well Exxxxxxxcuuuuuuuuuuse me.

finger.gif

Panhead

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

som...@somenet.net wrote:

> He's using Free Agent 32 bit. In answer to your other comments, no,
> he's not that computer literate, but I am.

Hmmm. I also pose the same question...again.
Why are YOU allowing HIM to use YOUR computer in the first place?
Put in a Password that comes up upon BOOT-UP!
(they all have that option)
The answer is so obvious to me, it makes me kinda wonder how "literate"
you are with computers.
Please understand, I mean no disrespect to you.
Lets look at what I *think* you said.....
Your room mate is using YOUR computer,accessing YOUR account to send
and recieve vile files, downloaded to YOUR computer...right?
Why?
Even if it is NOT your access account...I ask again, WHY?
Tell him to keep his greasy paws off of YOUR computer.
This don't take a Win95 wizard to find out where he's been, or what
he's up to......you already know.
Keep him off the computer. Period!
Keep a Louisville slugger chained to the desk your computer is at, and
whack the SOB that is using it without your permission.

If I was indeed wrong with the interpretation of this, then I totaly
apologise. But otherwise, this is very clear as to what to do...no?
(sigh) an nar a

Lon Stowell

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

In article <32E701...@flash.net>, Barney Rubble <bea...@flash.net> wrote:

Whatta maroon. Not only does this submoronic mouthbreather send
an illegal, obscene message in private email, he posts it here
publicly, with a header showing that it was also sent privately.

Panhead

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

Adam Felson wrote:

> William Holland (whol...@echo-on.net) wrote:

> : Lady Madonna wrote:
> : > William Holland wrote:
> : > > Adam Felson wrote:
> : > > > Why bother? Windoze95 will corupt itself without any outside help at all.
> : > > >
> : > > > Only microsoft could make it acceptable for a computer to crash every four
> : > > > hours of use, trashing the files every 10th crash.
> : > >
> : > > I gotta step in here.
> : > >
> : > > I've been using Win95 for over a year now and it has not crashed once,
> : > > nor have I had any problems with it.
> : >
> : > Then you're not *doing* anything with it.
> :
> : Define *doing* something.
> :
> Will this be the five minute argument, or the full half hour?

depending on who answers and how, I expect a full 45 minutes.

Adam Felson

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

Killjoy

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

Before you call the police, here's something to think about...

As owner of the computer in question, you should consider that it is
VERY likely you will be held responsible for what is on it, unless you
can prove that you had no knowledge of your computer being used for
this. As the owner, YOU are responsible for your computer, and that
might involve some work on your part. Tough.

Even if you are able to argue your way out of being responsible for
whatever is there on the drive, if you get the police involved, your
computer is likely to seized as evidence and kept in on a dusty shelf at
police HQ until the trial date. And we all know how fast the court
system works... I'd expect to be out one computer for at least a few
months.

If you need to lock this critter out of your system, and I'd suggest a
commercial program such as "Full Armor" or the like. Putting a password
on startup in Win95 doesn't prevent access, it only prevents people from
accessing with your user name, abusing your preferences and priviledges,
and perhaps sending email across the office network to your boss in your
name. It's really meant to be your gateway to a WinNT server on an
office network, or such. Other than that, Win95's built in security
sucks pretty damned hard. I don't know anyone even half computer
literate who couldn't figure their way around it in hour or two at most.

If you suspect this guy's a weasel, and not worth trusting, why do you
even let him use your computer at all?

Best regards,
Michael.
--
ALL unsolicited commerical email is unwelcome at this account.
To send me email, you must manually edit the address shown above.

Morail

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

"Barney Rubble" <bea...@flash.net> wrote:

>Hehehehee.
>This mouthbreather at least knows how to spell moron, you moron.
>Hehehehee
>>
>> Whatta maroon.

moron != maroon
--->get a dictionary

Piss_Off

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

On 26 Jan 1997 00:28:16 GMT, "Barney Rubble" <bea...@flash.net> wrote:

>Hehehehee.
>This mouthbreather at least knows how to spell moron, you moron.

>Hehehehee.
>
>Lon Stowell <lsto...@pyrtech.mis.pyramid.com> wrote in article
><5c8pid$s...@pyrtech.mis.pyramid.com>...

>> In article <32E701...@flash.net>, Barney Rubble <bea...@flash.net>
>wrote:
>> >This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>>
>> Whatta maroon.

Since "maroon" is spelled correctly, the last laugh is on you.

ßlack Wulf

vassre

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

no.spam...@juno.com.no.spam (Morail) wrote:

>"Barney Rubble" <bea...@flash.net> wrote:

>>Hehehehee.
>>This mouthbreather at least knows how to spell moron, you moron.

>>Hehehehee
>>>
>>> Whatta maroon.

>moron != maroon
>--->get a dictionary

watch some Looney Tunes! <G>

Barney Rubble

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

Hehehehee.
This mouthbreather at least knows how to spell moron, you moron.

CinderBlock

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

Morail wrote:

> "Barney Rubble" <bea...@flash.net> wrote:
>
> >Hehehehee.
> >This mouthbreather at least knows how to spell moron, you moron.
> >Hehehehee
> >>
> >> Whatta maroon.
>
> moron != maroon
> --->get a dictionary
Whatta maroon is a line from Bugs Bunny.
--
_____ _ _ ____ _ _
/ ____(_) | | | _ \| | | |
| | _ _ __ __| | ___ _ __| |_) | | ___ ___| | __
| |____| | | | | (_| | __/ | | |_) | | (_) | (__| <
\_____|_|_| |_|\__,_|\___|_| |____/|_|\___/ \___|_|\_\

http://pages.prodigy.com/CinderBlock

This message composed by hand

Niterider

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

Nah, Lord Sleepy, he's a macaroon.

Niterider

Lord Sleepy wrote:

> On 26 Jan 1997 00:28:16 GMT, the alleged Barney Rubble, may have posted the
> following, to alt.revenge:
>

> >Hehehehee.
> >This mouthbreather at least knows how to spell moron, you moron.

> >Hehehehee.
>
> Mouth breather is two words, or at least in this era of "publik skool"
> graduates it is at least a hyphenated compound word.
>
> Whatta maroon.
>
> (You should consult a good dictionary, as well as refreshing your
> recollections of Warner Brothers cartoons, it could be enlightening as well
> as entertaining).
>
> I think the joke is on you, are you sure you're not Fred Flintstone?

> >Lon Stowell <lsto...@pyrtech.mis.pyramid.com> wrote in article
> ><5c8pid$s...@pyrtech.mis.pyramid.com>...
> >>
> >> Whatta maroon.
>

> Not only is he a maroon, he can't seem to grasp the simple concept of
> replying to a post either point by point, or as appended text, either of
> which are more acceptable by generally understood conventions.
>
> At the risk of being redundant, or calling to mind the concept of an echo,
>
> Whatta maroon!
>
> Regards,
> Sleepy, no, not that sle...@os.com
>
> --
> Lord Sleepy,
> Senior Knight of the Barstool,
> The Cult of the Tracker

Killjoy

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

Elmer the Wabbit Eater wrote:

> ora...@cs.indiana.edu (John Q. Public) spewed forth:
>
> >:x-no-archive: yes
> >: On Sun, 26 Jan 1997 19:21:31 GMT, Bu...@MIT.not (What's Up Doc?)
> >:wrote:
> >:
> >:>>five candles in a star pattern, burn incense, and burn the system
> >:>>registry on the stomach of a virgin whilst chanting solemnly "hail the
> >:>>Dark Lord Gates" over and over.
> >:>>Tracker ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ゥ
> >:>
> >:>
> >:>I already did that but it didn't work. Maybe it was a corrupt virgin.
> >:
> >:Was you using virgin 1.1 or virgin 2.0 beta?
>
> If it was any virgin version other than 1.0 it would be corrupt by
> default.

I can see why you might think so, but the beta testers already put
virgin 1.0 through her paces before she was released...

The only uncorrupted version of virgin was when the concept was first
considered and approved by the head programmer, before the marketing
department got a hold of it.

Zach

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

In article <32eb08f4...@news.concentric.net> yo'mamma writes:
>Killjoy <SPAMkil...@norden1SPAM.FREEcom> spewed forth:
>
>>:Before you call the police, here's something to think about...

>>:
>>:As owner of the computer in question, you should consider that it is
>>:VERY likely you will be held responsible for what is on it, unless you
>>:can prove that you had no knowledge of your computer being used for
>>:this. As the owner, YOU are responsible for your computer, and that
>>:might involve some work on your part. Tough.
>>:
>
>Not necessarily ... if HE calls the police and reports it, then he
>becomes the complainant instead of the suspect.
>
>>:Even if you are able to argue your way out of being responsible for

>>:whatever is there on the drive, if you get the police involved, your
>>:computer is likely to seized as evidence and kept in on a dusty shelf at
>>:police HQ until the trial date. And we all know how fast the court
>>:system works... I'd expect to be out one computer for at least a few
>>:months.
>
>This is very true. If the authorities determine there is kiddie porn,
>the computer will be seized as evidence.
>
>>:If you need to lock this critter out of your system, and I'd suggest a

>>:commercial program such as "Full Armor" or the like.
>
>The easiest way is just a BIOS password lock.

And a program such as Norton's Wipedisk to completely erase all of the
unwanted files (deletion is not enough - you have to COMPLETELY erase the
files.)

--

Zach Babayco

za...@netcom.com <-------finger for PGP public key

If you need to know how to set up a mail filter or defend against
emailbombs, send me a message with the words "get helpfile" (without the
" marks) in the SUBJECT: header, *NOT THE BODY OF THE MESSAGE!* I have
several useful FAQs and documents available.

Ramses II KOB

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

John Q. Public <ora...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote in article
<32f3d7e1...@news.communique.net>...
> x-n

> >I already did that but it didn't work. Maybe it was a corrupt virgin.
>
> Was you using virgin 1.1 or virgin 2.0 beta?

Like the virgin in the book " Catch 22 " ?? ;-)

Ramses II

Killjoy

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

Elmer the Wabbit Eater wrote:

> Killjoy <SPAMkil...@norden1SPAM.FREEcom> spewed forth:

-general snippage-

> >:If you need to lock this critter out of your system, and I'd suggest a
> >:commercial program such as "Full Armor" or the like.
>
> The easiest way is just a BIOS password lock.

And that can be cleared in under a minute on many computers, and under
five minutes on almost every other computer in the world. A few take
about 15. Less if you have an electric screwdriver handy. It all
depends on how determined, desperate, or horny the intruder is. There
are a scarce rare few computers that take overnight for the BIOS
passwords to clear.

I don't know of many computers where a BIOS lock is secure enough for
this sort of protection, unless you count some brands of notebook
computers. Even those can be cleared if you have the time and the
tools.

Part of my job is clearing out BIOS passwords.

Best regards,

chris

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

Anybody wanna talk about Linnux next? I will keep my OS rantings to
myself (no applause, thank you, just money). Maybe you could find it in
your hearts to carry this on via email, or on alt.os ro some such? Not
that I regret seeing Win95 trashed publicly, but it _is_ off-topic.
Else, I'll start posting my hot cocoa recipie again, then pictures of my
kitty, then rendom recipies involving things kitty has brought me,
perhaps....
--chris

Nemesis

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

What's Up Doc? wrote:

> ora...@cs.indiana.edu (John Q. Public) wrote:

> >>I already did that but it didn't work. Maybe it was a corrupt virgin.
>
> >Was you using virgin 1.1 or virgin 2.0 beta?
>
> I used a virgin 2.0 beta. Is it infected with bugs perchance?
>
> What's Up Doc?
> _ _
> ///\\\ ///\\\
> ` v \\\/// v
> ` (o o)
> ~ooo~><~ooo~
>
> Holy Spirit, Cult of the Tracker
> Rabbit of the Realm

Version 2.0 is more likely to be infected with one or more of the
various and sundry virii. CPV (and all of it's subsequent versions) is
particularly nasty -- a seemingly benign virus, and completely
untreatable, it can cause uncontrolled (and malignant) replication in
later years.

You might also consider having Version 2.0 checked for worms, and having
them removed - that is, if she hasn't already infected her host.

Lady Renee`
KOB, Webmistress, Keeper of Obscure References, Cult of Tracker, New
Orleans Chapter

--
"They ought to make butt-flavored cat food." -- Gallagher

Lon Stowell

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

In article <32f394e4...@news.mindspring.com>,
What's Up Doc? <Are you talking to me? ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?> wrote:
>I must object to this thread on behalf of maroon people and things
>everywhere. It is insensitive and likely offensive to persons of a
>bruised skin color and to multiple fruit and vegetables. Kindly
>refrain. Thank you.
>
>BTW, what is "Win95 expertise"?

Being able to click the correct mouse button at least 50% of
the time seems to be well above the capabilities of all the
folks taking issue on this thread.

>What's Up Doc?

Now that you mention it, the phrase "whatta maroon" as referring
to Barney Rubble was in honor of your .sig.

Apparently, even though he names him/herself after a cartoon
character, recognizing a famous quote from another one is yet
another mental feat well above the capabilities of our budding
W/95 genious.

Lon Stowell

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

In article <32f3e086...@news.communique.net>,
John Q. Public <ora...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

>*Doing* something:
>Serve 5 clients [sharing Amipro, Lotus, and Peachtree], scan photos
>with HP deskscan, modify them with Corel photoshop, paste the result
>to Webwiz, upload the result to your website, view it with Netscape
>3.0 gold, scan and defrag your hd in the background.

Corel doesn't HAVE photoshop, so this is impossible.

I have been trying to do your test of serving 5 clients, but
so far all of my clients can outrun me and my big butchering
knife, so perhaps we may have to order fast food.....or more
correctly, slower food to serve.

Lon Stowell

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

In article <01bc0b1f$d268b360$80d1...@beatle.flash.net>,

Barney Rubble <bea...@flash.net> wrote:
>Hehehehee.
>This mouthbreather at least knows how to spell moron, you moron.
>Hehehehee.

Hee Hee hee. But the mouthbreather is far too moronic to
recognize such a famous quote as "whatta maroon", which
if you read the group often, there is even a hint in someone
else's sig.

chris

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

So what you're saying is thet the whole thing, from the designers to the=20
marketers to the distribution network, is a big heap of incorrectly=20
described and poorly documented garbage that should offend everybody who=20
bought into the line it used to interest you in the first place?
=09Hmm. False claims, misleading nomenclature... do you know the=20
number of the real, uncorrupted one, and how ordinary users can take=20
advantage of its various benefits? It would be hard, after all, to give=20
up on our program base and all take up a (e)UNIX(sp?) existence...
=09--chris=20

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Killjoy=20

wrote:
> > >:>>five candles in a star pattern, burn incense, and burn the system

> > >:>>registry on the stomach of a virgin whilst chanting solemnly "hail =

the
> > >:>>Dark Lord Gates" over and over.

> > >:>>Tracker ~~~~~~~~~~~~ =A5=A5
> > >:>I already did that but it didn't work. Maybe it was a corrupt virgi=
n.

> > >:Was you using virgin 1.1 or virgin 2.0 beta?
> > If it was any virgin version other than 1.0 it would be corrupt by
> > default.
> I can see why you might think so, but the beta testers already put
> virgin 1.0 through her paces before she was released...
> The only uncorrupted version of virgin was when the concept was first
> considered and approved by the head programmer, before the marketing
> department got a hold of it.

>=20
> Michael.

chris

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

A software solution only, eh? I thought it was a hardware condition. If
thinking makes it so, their plan _is_ cheaper, but one wonders at product
quality. You suggest that reformatting the drives with the newer virgins
leaves something lacking in substance; do you suggest another
alternative? (and did anybody say where the alpha was? The beta is
corrupt already, right?) Marketing did a really good job with the last
one; everybody seemed to think it was the real thing for a while....
--chris
(Felson, your reader is picking up =20 for eol and =09 for tab;
check settings)

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, John Q. Public wrote:
> It must have been. Only Microsoft can produce virgins other than 1.0
> any other virgin is automatically corrupt after 1.0
> Microsoft accomplishes this feat with a software solution. Others
> attempt to produce virgins using hardware manipulation and
> reconfiguration, but this always creates a corrupt virgin. Beware the
> Microsoft edition virgins, however. They are always hot and popular,
> and many believe they can be tamed. I know otherwise. They come on
> strong, thrill you and excite you, but when it comes time to perform
> -- they always leave you stiff, frustrated and confused.

chris

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

OK, so the problem is the PINE settings my sysadmin has on his UNIX box.
Does everybody see invisible characters displayed? Still, not reflective
of _my_ OS doing something screwy. Do you see wierd formatting problems
on this post, too? And if you are so happy with Microsoft, why _aren't_
you using one of their products to read news :-) ??
--chris

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Adam Felson wrote:

> In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.97012...@basil.stthom.edu> you wrote:
> :
> : A software solution only, eh? I thought it was a hardware condition. If

> : thinking makes it so, their plan _is_ cheaper, but one wonders at product
> : quality. You suggest that reformatting the drives with the newer virgins
> : leaves something lacking in substance; do you suggest another
> : alternative? (and did anybody say where the alpha was? The beta is
> : corrupt already, right?) Marketing did a really good job with the last
> : one; everybody seemed to think it was the real thing for a while....
> : --chris
> : (Felson, your reader is picking up =20 for eol and =09 for tab;
> : check settings)
>

> The problem is your end. You're using mime encoding for plain text
> messages. Believe it or not, the entire world doesn't all use microsoft
> newsreaders.

chris

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

Actually, I'm typing this on a University PC, for a change, using WIN-95
and a terminal emulator to communicate with a UNIX box which serves mail
here. An SGI, actually. So, either UNIX or Win-95 is, by your
standards, a crappy and incompatible OS. Which may be true.... But
thank you for having something better to say than that I misspelled
"that" in the first line of my post.
--chris

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Adam Felson wrote:

> In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.970129...@basil.stthom.edu> you wrote:
> :
> : So what you're saying is thet the whole thing, from the designers to the=20

> : marketers to the distribution network, is a big heap of incorrectly=20
> : described and poorly documented garbage that should offend everybody who=20
> : bought into the line it used to interest you in the first place?
> : =09Hmm. False claims, misleading nomenclature... do you know the=20
> : number of the real, uncorrupted one, and how ordinary users can take=20
> : advantage of its various benefits? It would be hard, after all, to give=20
> : up on our program base and all take up a (e)UNIX(sp?) existence...
> : =09--chris=20
>

> All those "=20"'s in your post proves you're using a crappy incompatible
> OS.

Panhead

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

John Q. Public wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
> On 27 Jan 1997 17:29:40 -0800, lsto...@pyrtech.mis.pyramid.com (Lon
> Stowell) wrote:
>
> >In article <32f3e086...@news.communique.net>,

> > Corel doesn't HAVE photoshop, so this is impossible.
>
> Came with the scanner. Photoshop, or photopaint,
> photo-sumptim-or-other. I'll pay attention to the splash screen
> tomorrow. Hell, I've been using it for 6 months.
> mutter. gotta be photoshop. right? mutter, grumble.

If it's a H-P Scanner (like mine) it came with Corel Photo-Paint,and
capture and a host of other goodies.
Good choice I think. I love it.

Panhead

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

What's Up Doc? wrote:

> Panhead <"panhead"@Remove webspan.net> wrote:
>
> >John Q. Public wrote:

> >> Came with the scanner. Photoshop, or photopaint,
> >> photo-sumptim-or-other....

> > If it's a H-P Scanner (like mine) it came with Corel Photo-Paint,and
> >capture and a host of other goodies. Good choice I think. I love it.
>
> My LogiTech PageScan color is better. It detaches from the stand, has
> a long cord and, holding it with one hand, you can smack anyone
> standing in front of your desk.

Oh yeah?
Well.... well,...I PAID MORE! Neener neener!

( I have the 4-C) I ain't got no stand to detach from...now I'm
really lost,dazed,and baffled...and quite jelouse)

Of course, anyone standing in front of *my* desk will get smecked
with more then a periphial with a ultra-wide/fast scsi cord attached to
it.

Lon Stowell

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

In article <32f75db6...@news.mindspring.com>,

What's Up Doc? <Are you talking to me? ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?> wrote:

>Well, not impossible, say improvable, but it certainly explains why
>his Win95 doesn't crash.

Repeat after me; Adobe Photoshop Corel Photopaint.

With Corel, you really don't NEED viruses.

Lon Stowell

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

chris <c...@basil.stthom.edu> wrote:
>Actually, I'm typing this on a University PC, for a change, using WIN-95
>and a terminal emulator to communicate with a UNIX box which serves mail
>here. An SGI, actually. So, either UNIX or Win-95 is, by your
>standards, a crappy and incompatible OS. Which may be true.... But
>thank you for having something better to say than that I misspelled
>"that" in the first line of my post.

Odd, here I am also typing this on a W/95 PC, using an X emulator
which is currently logged into trn on a Unix host. Hopefully no
one is seeing extra bogus characters at the end of each of my
posted lines. Perhaps it comes from being able to read the
termio man pages and setting the tty settings appropriately in
my shell initialization files.

chris

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

The Logitech's hardwired superiority is clear; if you _do_ have it
plugged in when you smack somebody with it, and you time the scan right,
you can multitask even when using 16-bit applications or windoze 3.1 or
the like. Those interested in bondage but unable to locate enough
cabling in those desperate moments will appreciate the multithreaded
design of the power cord....
--chris, KoB

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, What's Up Doc? wrote:

> Panhead <"panhead"@Remove webspan.net> wrote:
>
> >John Q. Public wrote:

> >> Came with the scanner. Photoshop, or photopaint,
> >> photo-sumptim-or-other....
>
> > If it's a H-P Scanner (like mine) it came with Corel Photo-Paint,and
> >capture and a host of other goodies. Good choice I think. I love it.
>

> My LogiTech PageScan color is better. It detaches from the stand, has
> a long cord and, holding it with one hand, you can smack anyone
> standing in front of your desk.

The Carrolls

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

Probably the demo

What's Up Doc? <Bu...@MIT.not> wrote in article
<32ecf84a...@news.mindspring.com>...

> ora...@cs.indiana.edu (John Q. Public) wrote:

> >>I already did that but it didn't work. Maybe it was a corrupt virgin.

> >Was you using virgin 1.1 or virgin 2.0 beta?
>

> I used a virgin 2.0 beta. Is it infected with bugs perchance?
>

> What's Up Doc?
> _ _
> ///\\\ ///\\\
> ` v \\\/// v
> ` (o o)
> ~ooo~><~ooo~
>
> Holy Spirit, Cult of the Tracker

> Rabbit of the Realm

Lady Madonna

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

John Q. Public wrote:

<snip>

> heh. I'll try that with the trackball tomorrow.
> Until now, I've been using my yardstick to discourage interlopers, and
> the 18" ruler on those that are agile enough to dodge the yardstick
> :-)

Sounds like my piano teacher when I was a little kid.

Mean old harpy.

Lady Renee`

Lon Stowell

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

In article <32f382cd...@news.communique.net>,
John Q. Public <postm...@aol.com> wrote:
>Rumor has it that a new virgin will be released soon. Virgin 97. This
>virgin will supposedly ignore all other virgins and respond only to
>virgin 95 and virgin NT.

Rumor are that this virgin is also fat and a coupla years over 30.

[Has this been beaten into the ground yet, or are another coupla
whacks necessary?]

Mark G. Havener

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

In article <32E429...@flash.net>,
Barney Rubble <bea...@flash.net> wrote:

>Any other questions just ask.
>I know EVERYTHING!! :)

You obviously are not smart enough _NOT_ to post an 819K binary file to a
message oriented board.

Please don't do that again. Send it e-mail or drop it on the appropiate
binaries board.

+-----------------+-------------------------------------+
| Mark G. Havener | The Conservative Zone is open again |
+-----------------+ with new articles! Check me out at |
| http://www.delphi.com/~havener3 |
| -> Netcom Sucks! <- |
| Visit my page for more information! |
+-------------------------------------+

Whoever said "talk is cheap" never said "I do."

Lon Stowell

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

In article <32fbbb37...@news.mindspring.com>,

What's Up Doc? <Are you talking to me? ARE YOU TALKING TO ME???> wrote:

>My LogiTech PageScan color is better. It detaches from the stand, has
>a long cord and, holding it with one hand, you can smack anyone
>standing in front of your desk.

About the only thing I can think of that would be better with
a handheld is the ability to explore the limits of the old
practice of "xerox body art" with the more flexible device.

Lon Stowell

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

In article <32eeb440...@news.communique.net>,

John Q. Public <postm...@aol.com> wrote:

>Yup. It is Photo Paint, version 5.0
>Nice software, but it doesn't render photos into line art well at all.

Adobe is also nice, but if you prefer the Corel stuff, I'd
suggest at least PhoPaint/6, the version from Graphics Pack
is the most crash-free build. However, PhoPaint/7 simply
leaves even version 6 in the dust for power as well as cool
effects and conversion. Don't think you can get it standalone
yet, but the upgrade to the Draw suite is only a coupla bills
at discount software shops. 3-d modelling, movies, conversion
between vector and bitmap formats, texture generators, imbedded
KPT Lite, 3D texting, and the ability to create your own brushes,
fill libraries, texture libraries, and fancy effects brushes.

Panhead

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

> >>Yup. It is Photo Paint, version 5.0
> >>Nice software, but it doesn't render photos into line art well at all.
\

I am puzzled about the term "line art".
Could this be explained to me simply..here or at all?
I never tried this.

Panhead

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

John Q. Public wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jan 1997 18:02:10 -0500, Panhead <"panhead"@remove
> webspan.net> wrote:

> > I am puzzled about the term "line art".
> > Could this be explained to me simply..here or at all?
> > I never tried this.
>

> Sure. Take a picture of something, say a dog sitting by a fire
> hydrant. Convert it into line art.
> All major color fields should be converted into white and seperated by
> black lines. That's what's *supposed* to happen, anyway.
>
> Ahh. Here. An better explaination.
> A coloring book (before coloring) is line art. After coloring, it is a
> picture.

Ahh, I'll have to check that out.
Thank you.

ccch...@aol.com

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

In article <AF17AD1A9...@ip208.memphis.tn.pub-ip.psi.net>,

have...@delphi.com (Mark G. Havener) writes:

>You obviously are not smart enough _NOT_ to post an 819K binary file to a
>message oriented board.

Holy Cripes on toast!! 819K on a message board? I'm glad I missed that.

"If you can't say it in less than 24 letters, don-" Author Unknown.

Lon Stowell

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

Beavis wrote:
>>You obviously are not smart enough _NOT_ to post an 819K binary file to a
>>message oriented board.

Butthead followed up:

>Holy Cripes on toast!! 819K on a message board? I'm glad I missed that.

It is a !@#$!@#$!@#$@ NEWS GROUP and not a !@#$!@$!@#$ "message
board". Now go back to your local BBS providers and look
up the term "internet".

Panhead

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

What's Up Doc? wrote:

> > I am puzzled about the term "line art".
> > Could this be explained to me simply..here or at all?
> > I never tried this.
>
> OK, pan, here it goes..... LINE ART:

> What's Up Doc?
> _ _
> ///\\\ ///\\\
> ` v \\\/// v
> ` (o o)
> ~ooo~><~ooo~
> PS. OK, "not very much LINE ART"

Would you like me to "colorize" that for you?

The Last Viking

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Stardate 4 Feb 1997 16:50:06 -0800, Lon Stowell wrote in alt.revenge:

Oh, for a moment I though you were talking about massage and I just had to
follow up on it.

W p Email: viki...@bigfoot.com *information wants
/|\| Home: http://www.cs.uit.no/~paalde/ to be free
() | Music: http://www.dataconsult.no/beatservice/ *revenge is