Re: Researchers Think They've Found the Cause of Gulf War Illness

Fascist Nancy Pelosi

Feb 3, 2023, 7:40:02 AM2/3/23
In article <ssq03p$lsig$1...@news.freedyn.de>
lefty asswipes <lefty-a...@disney.com> wrote:

> ...I spent all night taking it up the ass.

Military.com | By Patricia Kime
After nearly 30 years of trying to prove a theory -- that an
environmental toxin was responsible for sickening roughly
250,000 U.S. troops who served in the 1990-91 Persian Gulf War --
Dr. Robert Haley says new research confirms that sarin nerve
gas caused Gulf War Illness.

Following the Gulf War, nearly one-third of all who deployed
reported unexplained chronic symptoms such as rashes, fatigue,
gastrointestinal and digestive issues, brain "fog," neuropathy,
and muscle and joint pain. Federal agencies spent years broadly
dismissing the idea that troops may have been suffering from
exposure to chemical agents, with many veterans experiencing
symptoms sent to mental health providers.

But a study published last week in the journal Environmental
Health Perspectives used genetic research and survey data to
determine that U.S. service members exposed to sarin were more
likely to develop Gulf War Illness, and those who were exposed
and had a weaker variant of a gene that helps digest pesticides
were nine times more likely to have symptoms.

"Quite simply, our findings prove that Gulf War illness was
caused by sarin, which was released when we bombed Iraqi
chemical weapons storage and production facilities," said Haley,
director of the Division of Epidemiology in the Internal
Medicine Department at University of Texas Southwestern Medical
Center.

"There are still more than 100,000 Gulf War veterans who are not
getting help for this illness and our hope is that these
findings will accelerate the search for better treatment," Haley
said.

Originally developed as a pesticide, the chemical weapon sarin
was known to have been stockpiled by Iraqi President Saddam
Hussein prior to and after the 1990-91 Persian Gulf War. The
synthetic nerve agent attacks the central nervous system and
brain, killing victims by triggering an overreaction of
neurotransmitters that causes convulsions and asphyxiation.

Thousands of coalition troops likely were exposed to sarin and
cyclosarin, an organic phosphate also used as a chemical weapon,
when the U.S. destroyed a bunker housing chemical weapons at the
Khamisiyah Ammunition Storage Depot in southern Iraq, sending a
plume of contaminants that spread across a 25-mile radius.
Others may have been subjected to low levels of contaminants, as
troops frequently reported that chemical weapons alarms went off
in the absence of any apparent attack.

In the years following the war, veterans who sought medical help
at the Department of Veterans Affairs were greeted with
skepticism and sent to psychiatrists for mental health
treatment. Health surveys conducted by the VA in the early 2010s
of Gulf War veterans focused mainly on questions about
psychological and psychiatric symptoms.

And in 2013, veterans' suspicions of the lack of concern at the
VA were confirmed when VA whistleblower and epidemiologist
Steven Coughlin came forward to say that the department buried
or obscured research findings that would link physical ailments
to military service -- a concerted effort to deny veterans
health care and benefits.

Coughlin's charges were later confirmed by an email sent to
staff from former Undersecretary for Benefits Allison Hickey
expressing concern that changing what the VA still calls
"chronic multisymptom illness" to "Gulf War illness" might
"imply a causal link between service in the Gulf and poor health
which could necessitate legislation for disability compensation
for veterans who served in the Gulf."

Research Confirms Earlier, Smaller Studies
For the new study into sarin, Haley and colleagues randomly
selected 1,116 veterans who completed a U.S. Military Health
Survey, including 508 who deployed and developed Gulf War
Illness and 508 veterans who went but never developed symptoms.
They collected blood and DNA samples from each participant and
asked the veterans whether they heard nerve gas alarms during
their deployment, and if so, how often.

The researchers also tested for variants of a gene that helps
the body metabolize pesticides, called PON1. Some people have
variants of this gene that are more effective in breaking down
sarin while others have a variant that helps process chemicals
like pesticides but is less efficient against sarin.

The study found that those who reported hearing nerve agent
alarms and who also had the least robust form of the gene had a
nine-fold chance of having Gulf War Illness. Those with a
genotype that is a mix of the two variants had more than four
times the chance of having Gulf War Illness, while those who
just heard nerve agent alarms, which the researchers used as a
proxy for exposure, raised the chance of developing the
condition by nearly four times, although to a lesser degree of
those who have a mix of genes.

According to the researchers, the data "leads to a high degree
of confidence that sarin is a causative agent for Gulf War
Illness."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/05/17/researchers-think-
theyve-found-cause-of-gulf-war-illness.html

Klaus Schadenfreude

Feb 3, 2023, 8:32:53 AM2/3/23
On Fri, 3 Feb 2023 13:38:30 +0100 (CET), "Fascist Nancy Pelosi"
<#fascist_na...@twitter.com> wrote:

>In article <ssq03p$lsig$1...@news.freedyn.de>
>lefty asswipes <lefty-a...@disney.com> wrote:
>>
>> ...I spent all night taking it up the ass.

>Military.com | By Patricia Kime
>After nearly 30 years of trying to prove a theory -- that an
>environmental toxin was responsible for sickening roughly
>250,000 U.S. troops who served in the 1990-91 Persian Gulf War --
> Dr. Robert Haley says new research confirms that sarin nerve
>gas caused Gulf War Illness.

HOW CAN THAT BE???

Saddam didn't have an WMD's remember?

LOL