Terry Pratchett as Pterry

731 views
Skip to first unread message

Te Rowan

unread,
Jan 28, 2002, 2:33:44 PM1/28/02
to
If Milamber is still about, here's what I (think I) know of this:

Referring to Terry Pratchett as Pterry (sometimes pTerry) started about the
time Pyramids was published. One character in this book, a handmaid, was
called Ptraci. Another, a pharaoh's son, was Pteppic. And, apparently, in
Djelibeybian (no, no Egyptian, it's the Discworld), T as the first letter in
a word is pronounced/written 'Pt'. Thus, Terry becomes Pterry.

You're better off reading the book. Oh, and get "Soul Music", too. And "Wyrd
Sisters". And "Moving Pictures". And "Guards! Guards!". Then go for the
rest.

Té Rowan (reyn...@binet.is)

Shez

unread,
Jan 28, 2002, 6:52:15 PM1/28/02
to
In article <000001c1a82d$6cd0c320$9fdc1ed4@amaryllis>, Te Rowan
<reyn...@binet.is> writes
Don't forget Lords and Ladies, one of my personal favourites. :)
--
Shez, the Old Craft lady sh...@oldcity.demon.co.uk
www.oldcity.demon.co.uk/shez/

Julia A M Simon

unread,
Jan 29, 2002, 10:44:47 AM1/29/02
to
Hello!

Te Rowan <reyn...@binet.is> wrote:
:> If Milamber is still about, here's what I (think I) know of this:

:> Referring to Terry Pratchett as Pterry (sometimes pTerry) started about the
:> time Pyramids was published. One character in this book, a handmaid, was
:> called Ptraci. Another, a pharaoh's son, was Pteppic. And, apparently, in
:> Djelibeybian (no, no Egyptian, it's the Discworld), T as the first letter in
:> a word is pronounced/written 'Pt'. Thus, Terry becomes Pterry.

Teppic was just Teppic, no silent P; but you're right about Ptraci.

CU,
Julia 8-)
(at the moment, halfway through "Interesting Times"
for the umpteenth time and enjoying every second)

--
Julia Simon --- Hyppääjätär --- Sprachen-Freak vom Dienst
schn...@iki.fi, http://www.iki.fi/~schnecki/

Computational Linguist looking for employment in the greater Helsinki area:
http://www.iki.fi/~schnecki/cv_julia_simon_en.html

kipstik_boz

unread,
Jan 30, 2002, 1:58:44 PM1/30/02
to
My first time on this group and theres a thread about Pratchett - thats just
so cool!
"Julia A M Simon" <schn...@iki.fi> wrote in message
news:a36g16$h2b$3...@oravannahka.helsinki.fi...

Te Rowan

unread,
Feb 1, 2002, 1:22:50 PM2/1/02
to
From: Julia A M Simon

> Teppic was just Teppic, no silent P; but you're right about Ptraci.

It may have been yet another hash clash, but I thought I'd seen Pteppic at
least once in the book. But, yes, he's usually Teppic, though sometimes
Teppicymon.

Té Rowan (reyn...@binet.is)

Julia A M Simon

unread,
Feb 2, 2002, 9:16:03 AM2/2/02
to
Hello!

Te Rowan <reyn...@binet.is> wrote:
:> From: Julia A M Simon


:>> Teppic was just Teppic, no silent P; but you're right about Ptraci.

:> It may have been yet another hash clash, but I thought I'd seen Pteppic at
:> least once in the book.

Is it possible that there's a scene where he's talking to someone who
speaks a strange dialect? I vaguely remember something about a region of
Djelibeybi where people talk like that - adding p's at the beginning of all
kinds of words (I assume Ptraci comes from that region), and I *think*
Teppic talks to someone who ptalks (:-) like that once, and this person may
very well call him "Pteppic" in their strange pronunciation.

Gods, it's been *way* too long since I've read that book.

CU,
Julia 8-)

Dreamstalker

unread,
Feb 2, 2002, 9:45:06 AM2/2/02
to
Shez wrote:

Gah. Moving Pictures won't be out in the USA until next month. My personal
faves are Interesting Times, Last Continent, and The Truth. Haven't read Soul
Music yet.

Shez

unread,
Feb 2, 2002, 1:33:42 PM2/2/02
to
In article <3C5BF992...@worldnet.att.net>, Dreamstalker
<RStan...@worldnet.att.net> writes


I didn't realise the U.S.A was that far behind Britain, you have a lot
of good reading to come.
Terry's latest is a children's book called The Amazing Maurice and his
educated rodents . Set in the disc world of course, I found it amusing
but then I like children's books :) its about a cat and a lot of rats
who set up a con game based on the old story of the pied piper

The latest adult Terry Pratchett was Thief of Time....Which includes Mrs
Ogg, Witch extraordinary and her maternity practice, a sort of Buddhist
monk who sweeps floors and grows bonsai mountains and a thief who can
steal time, and a clock maker who can stop time.
The monk was last seen in Small Gods, for PTerry fans.

Te Rowan

unread,
Feb 2, 2002, 2:17:00 PM2/2/02
to
From: kipstik_boz

> My first time on this group and theres a thread about Pratchett - thats
> just so cool!

What did you expect? The most important folk on usenet (the hackers and the
witches) generally *love* his books. :-)

Té Rowan (reyn...@binet.is)

Dreamstalker

unread,
Feb 4, 2002, 12:28:38 PM2/4/02
to
Shez wrote:

> In article <3C5BF992...@worldnet.att.net>, Dreamstalker
> <RStan...@worldnet.att.net> writes

<snip>

> >Gah. Moving Pictures won't be out in the USA until next month. My personal
> >faves are Interesting Times, Last Continent, and The Truth. Haven't read Soul
> >Music yet.
> >
>
> I didn't realise the U.S.A was that far behind Britain, you have a lot
> of good reading to come.
> Terry's latest is a children's book called The Amazing Maurice and his educated
> rodents . Set in the disc world of course, I found it amusing
> but then I like children's books :) its about a cat and a lot of rats who set up a
> con game based on the old story of the pied piper

I did read that....cute :) Odd..we have that one over here, and Thief of Time (me
trying to wait for the paperback release), but not Moving Pictures. Release date is
listed as Feb. so we should have gotten it in about a week ago but we haven't.
Bizarre. Oh well...who claims to understand publishers anyway?

Te Rowan

unread,
Feb 4, 2002, 2:43:42 PM2/4/02
to
From: Julia A M Simon
> Is it possible that there's a scene where he's talking to someone who
> speaks a strange dialect? I vaguely remember something about a region of
> Djelibeybi where people talk like that - adding p's at the beginning of
> all kinds of words (I assume Ptraci comes from that region), and I *think*
> Teppic talks to someone who ptalks (:-) like that once, and this person
> may very well call him "Pteppic" in their strange pronunciation.

Possible. Ptraci did put on the accent after she and Teppic barely escaped
Djelibeybi (they're both Djelibeybian; he's the pharaoh's son).

> Gods, it's been *way* too long since I've read that book.

Time to make amends, I reckon. :-)

From: Dreamstalker
> Gah. Moving Pictures won't be out in the USA until next month. My
> personal faves are Interesting Times, Last Continent, and The Truth.
> Haven't read Soul Music yet.

If you are interested in Music With Rocks In It, read it ASAP. A minor
quote: "The guitar screamed like an angel who had just discovered why it was
on the wrong side."

Té Rowan (reyn...@binet.is)

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages