Picket in Orlando today. Great turnout!!!1

Fear Not

Feb 2, 2008, 10:47:39 PM2/2/08
Here is a report from someone that went to the Orlando picket today.

Sounds like their were alot of people and they kept it legal.

Way to go Anonymous!!!!!!

http://freekatie.yuku.com/topic/4117/t/Orlando-Scieno-Protest-The-Adventures-of-Tivolicious-Whitby.html

Hi everybody! We're back from the Orlando protest. IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

We got there about 3:00 and things were already in full swing. We
decided to drive down Colonial to check things out before parking. We
were excited to see about 50 people already out there with their
signs. We honked and waved wildly at them. We parked in an out-of-the-
way location just a short walk away.

Most of the crowd was picketing on the same side of the street as the
Co$ building. The scienos had a yellow van parked in front of their
building so people couldn't picket right in front. Tivo and I went to
the opposite side for a better vantage point and fewer people. There
was already a city cop sitting in his car, just to make sure things
stayed orderly. The crowd kept getting bigger and eventually we think
close to 100 people were there. The traffic was really heavy and we
got tons of support from passing cars - lots of honking and waving and
screaming. Other than a couple of minor things, we didn't get any
negative reactions.

I was told by somebody that the majority of the crowd there was part
of Anonymous. Alot of people had on disguises like we did. Some people
showed up without signs, so Tivo and I shared ours. We made 12 signs
so there were plenty to go around. By the time we left, I think only 3
of the signs were still in our possession! We got lots of compliments
on them.

After about an hour, 3 scienos came out to talk to the police. I heard
they wanted to shut us down for advocating "hate speech". Eventually 3
cop cars showed up and we were told we couldn't hold signs that
encouraged people to honk as they drove by. We also couldn't scream
and shout as loud as we had been. It WAS getting pretty loud out
there. The scienos stayed and talked to the cops for a long time but
didn't do anything. The cops mainly talked with the scienos and a
couple of Anonymous guys who seemed to be the leaders of the group.
The leaders were very polite to the police and very compliant, so we
didn't have any trouble at all. I think the scienos knew they were
drastically outnumbered.

At one point, one of the scienos was staring very intently at those of
us across the street. I was holding a sign that read "COS: What Are
You Afraid Of?" He kept staring at me and the sign - and I kept
staring back. I would love to know what he was thinking.

The group was well-behaved, if a bit rowdy. But that was all part of
the fun. Everyone was so friendly and people were sharing signs,
passing out bottled water, and being very collegial. I didn't like
some of the signs people had such as "Xenu Eats Babies" or "Honk if
You Hate Scientology". I didn't find that very productive. But for the
most part, it was a great experience.

There were some odd-ball things - some random group of people playing
instruments who joined in the picket line, people wearing tinfoil
hats, a guy wearing a silver trenchcoat, and Tivo had a weird
encounter with some woman (she'll tell you about that). There were at
least half a dozen people filming the entire thing. I heard someone
from Anonymous was videotaping everything from his jeep.

On our way out of town, we drove back through the crowd and I beeped
very long and loud to show our support. Tivo hung out the window
shouting out at everyone (and complimenting one of the signs someone
was holding - which happened to be one SHE made). I kept laying on the
horn until one of the cops stepped out and motioned to stop the noise.
But apparently he thought it was the car ahead of me. We got a good
laugh out of that.

We stayed a couple of hours and had to get back home as we had an
hour's drive. But we're definitely going back on Feb. 10 and we are
expecting a huge crowd. We'll have to make more signs since we left
them behind for the others.

Tivo took some pics and video which she'll post as soon as it's
ready.

Fear Not

Feb 2, 2008, 11:21:36 PM2/2/08
On Feb 2, 8:47 pm, Fear Not <tpl...@msn.com> wrote:
> Here is a report from someone that went to the Orlando picket today.
>
> Sounds like their were alot of people and they kept it legal.
>
> Way to go Anonymous!!!!!!
>
> http://freekatie.yuku.com/topic/4117/t/Orlando-Scieno-Protest-The-Adv...

Feisty

Feb 3, 2008, 1:31:46 AM2/3/08

"Fear Not" <tpl...@msn.com> wrote in message

Bravo!!! 50 is a HUGE picket. Not sure I've heard of one with such a
tremendous turn out.

Congratulations on standing up!

The difficulty in such high numbers may come with being in a more confined
space, you have to try to spread out. Cause you can't block entryways...
etc. That would require crowd control. :-) In LA we crossed the streets so
we didn't strip over each other.

But with media saturation and the presence of such large groups of
protesters... The indication to help correct a terrible wrong throughout our
country - what a great start. The kickoff!

Great work. If more start posting reports, share what you passed out, (what
was on flyers) how many you brought and passed out, observations or things
passerbys told you, (some tell stories of people they know with disastrous
results), etc. Constructive criticism is always welcome, as what helps you
can help someone else.

It sounds like the foot traffic was great. Educating people from all you
learned is true help, and the large crowds over the next weeks will bring
attention to a very large elephant in our countries livingroom.

Excellent!

Maureen

It's not all that glitters is gold;
'Alf the story has never been told:
So now you see the light, eh!
Stand up for your rights. Come on!

But if you know what life is worth,
You will look for yours on earth:
And now you see the light,
You stand up for your rights. Jah!

Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!
Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!
Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/b/bobmarleylyrics/getupstanduplyrics.html

JAFAW

Feb 3, 2008, 1:39:28 AM2/3/08

"Feisty" <Lerma...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You missed a bit ;)...

"The crowd kept getting bigger and eventually we think close to 100 people
were there"

Even better! :D

ida...@aol.com

Feb 3, 2008, 2:15:07 AM2/3/08
On Feb 2, 10:39�pm, "JAFAW" <a...@anon.net> wrote:
> "Feisty" <Lermanet...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > "Fear Not" <tpl...@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > Here is a report from someone that went to the Orlando picket today.
>
> > > Sounds like their were alot of people and they kept it legal.
>
> > > Way to go Anonymous!!!!!!
>
> http://freekatie.yuku.com/topic/4117/t/Orlando-Scieno-Protest-The-Adv...
> >http://www.lyricsondemand.com/b/bobmarleylyrics/getupstanduplyrics.html- Hide quoted text -

Congrats to the picketers! This report is wonderful.

Ida C

"Never negotiate out of fear but never fear to negotiate"

wheat...@googlemail.com

Feb 3, 2008, 2:46:22 AM2/3/08
> > >http://www.lyricsondemand.com/b/bobmarleylyrics/getupstanduplyrics.html-Hide quoted text -

> Congrats to the picketers! This report is wonderful.
>
> Ida C
>
> "Never negotiate out of fear but never fear to negotiate"

http://youtube.com/user/OrlandoAnonymous

-- This profile has 8 videos from various points in the day. There
appears to be a lot of support. I've not sat and watched through them
all right now but will do later.

Enjoy

barb

Feb 3, 2008, 4:11:53 AM2/3/08

Great report, thanks!
Can't wait for the peripheral entertainment to go online!

--
barb
Chaplain, ARSCCwdne

buy my book!
http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1198812

read my page! (thanks, R. Hill!)
http://www.xenu-directory.net/critics/graham1.html

visit my store!
http://www.cafepress.com/birdville

Xenu The Enturbulator

Feb 3, 2008, 7:29:12 AM2/3/08
Fear Not wrote:

> At one point, one of the scienos was staring very intently at those of
> us across the street. I was holding a sign that read "COS: What Are
> You Afraid Of?" He kept staring at me and the sign - and I kept
> staring back. I would love to know what he was thinking.

Probably trying to use his super IT powerz to postulate you gone.
Hopefully, he'll have been disappointed.

Ted Mayett

Feb 3, 2008, 10:04:50 AM2/3/08
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 20:21:36 -0800 (PST), Fear Not <tpl...@msn.com>
wrote:

Good idea! Just checked google groups for ARS from
1 Feb 2008 to 3 Feb 2008 for the word 'picket' and got back
99 hits. If there is not a clearly labled Subject line it will be
quite difficult to find picket reports.

A further suggestion is that at the end of every picket report put in
search terms, such as 'picket demonstration protest city country and
date'.

I have personally archived more picket reports than anyone in the
world and you would be amazed how many reports do not contain a single
word that would be searched upon by someone looking to find picket
reports. Entire posts lacking any key words, any city, any country,
lacking anything, even a Subject line indicating the post is a picket
report.

'picket orlando' gets 3 hits for the same three days in Feb 2008.

This, this activity of 2008 might be the start of something the world
has never seen before. If so, the world will appreciate being able to
find the reports in google groups.

--
Ted Mayett
Critical information regarding Scientology:

l.Bentinck

Feb 3, 2008, 1:07:28 PM2/3/08

"Fear Not" <tpl...@msn.com> wrote in message

This is enough to get some people (like me) back to post after
more than a year and a half of absence.

For the picketers in Austin, try to learn from Warrior who has
done several pickets there, one in which I attended.

Expect the police being called by scientology!

Expect that they try to frame you in any dirty way that they can
think of! As they did to Warrior!

Expect to be photographed by the cult!

Expect to be followed to your car (license plates) and to where
you go, as I was. (fuck'm!!!)

To Warrior and co:
ML from Nessie and Roscoe.

Hartley Patterson

Feb 3, 2008, 4:49:41 PM2/3/08
ars.to.t...@XXmmXXspamgourmet.com:

> I have personally archived more picket reports than anyone in the
> world and you would be amazed how many reports do not contain a single
> word that would be searched upon by someone looking to find picket
> reports. Entire posts lacking any key words, any city, any country,
> lacking anything, even a Subject line indicating the post is a picket
> report.

/signed

In fact, that deserves to be in the FAQ. The keywords in the Subject line
should be

Picket report
Media

with optional square brackets, plus the date in non ambiguous and full
format eg 10 february 2008, not 10 feb or 2/10/08 or 10/2/08.

--
alt.religion.scientology FAQ
Please read before posting

Friendly Xenu

Feb 3, 2008, 9:43:10 PM2/3/08
Hartley Patterson <hpt...@daisy.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>ars.to.t...@XXmmXXspamgourmet.com:
>> I have personally archived more picket reports than anyone in the
>> world and you would be amazed how many reports do not contain a single
>> word that would be searched upon by someone looking to find picket
>> reports. Entire posts lacking any key words, any city, any country,
>> lacking anything, even a Subject line indicating the post is a picket report.
>/signed
>In fact, that deserves to be in the FAQ. The keywords in the Subject line
>should be

Um, ars doesn't _have_ a FAQ. Also there's no such thing as "should be."

---
"Starbucks: drink the coffee. Don't break the windows." -- C
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,972865,00.html?imw=Y

Hartley Patterson

Feb 3, 2008, 10:15:43 PM2/3/08
fr...@skeptictank.org:

> Um, ars doesn't _have_ a FAQ. Also there's no such thing as "should be."

It has 17 of them last time I counted, but only one that's currently being
posted.

John

Feb 4, 2008, 1:12:48 AM2/4/08

"l.Bentinck" <nospa...@duh.com> wrote in message

snip

> This is enough to get some people (like me) back to post after
> more than a year and a half of absence.
>
> For the picketers in Austin, try to learn from Warrior who has
> done several pickets there, one in which I attended.
>
> Expect the police being called by scientology!
>
> Expect that they try to frame you in any dirty way that they can
> think of! As they did to Warrior!
>
> Expect to be photographed by the cult!
>
> Expect to be followed to your car (license plates) and to where
> you go, as I was. (fuck'm!!!)

And do give the poor cultists a nice day out when you leave. Go to a
restaurant, or a movie, or a mall and relax for a couple of hours. It might
be your shadow's only bit of relaxation for the forseeable future.

antimidas

Feb 4, 2008, 1:24:54 AM2/4/08
"John" <jo...@junk.com> wrote in

> And do give the poor cultists a nice day out when you leave. Go to a
> restaurant, or a movie, or a mall and relax for a couple of hours. It
> might be your shadow's only bit of relaxation for the forseeable
> future.

And keep your wallet in your front pocket to discourage someone from
lifting it from you. Pay in cash. Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness.
If possible, take a city bus or drive a circuitous route home.

I found myself at a cult meeting once and at the earliest moment left. I
did not know it was a cult until the "leader" became possessed by the
spirit of Jesus Christ and another person possessed by God. They then
began arguing. I drove 60 miles to get home only 8 miles away to ensure I
was not being followed.

Feisty

Feb 4, 2008, 6:39:35 PM2/4/08

"JAFAW" <an...@anon.net> wrote in message

Ah thanks for pointing this out! So many things to read, a news explosion.

Good luck to all who stand up this weekend, in the spirit of all who have
stood in the past.
It is the best thing to do for all....

(Hello Ida!)

Best Wishes,