Affidavit of Howard Schomer

Skip to first unread message

Martin Hunt

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Executive summary:

"During the period 1974-1977, I know it was almost impossible
to leave the Organization and the only way to leave was to
escape. All kinds of threats would be made and an individual
would be subject to "Sec Checks" (Security Checks). I myself
was subject to two horrible such "Sec Checks" where I was
deprived of sleep, food, water, and toilet facilities. I was
punched, spat upon, threatened, intimidated and completely
humiliated as a human being."


[NB: Handwritten notes are initialed "HS" in a circle.]


I, Howard Schomer, hereby state under the pains and
penalties of perjury that I have personal knowledge of the

1. I first became aware of Scientology in April or May,
1968 while I was living in Los Angeles, California. Shortly
thereafter I participated in a "franchise" in Tarzana,

2. In late August or September 1970, I joined the Sea
Organization (Sea Org), an elite group of Scientologists. In
order to join the Sea Org, you had to pledge your support by
signing a billion year contract. I joined the Sea org in Los
Angeles and was sent to the "American saint Hill Org" (ASHO).
I was at ASHO until June of 1971 when I was sent to the Flag
Ship for training.

3. I did not, in fact, proceed directly to the Flag Ship
"Apollo". I was sent to land base in Tangiers, Morocco, known
as the Tours Reception Area (TRC). I remained there for one
and one-half months and was then sent to the Apollo, a ship

_Dfts V_
May 14 1986
"Lea E. Kroil, NP?"
[signed] Schomer

owned [handwritten: the Operation and Transport Company (OTC)]
and operated by L. Ron Hubbard. I remained on board the Apollo
from July 1971 through October 1975, when the ship was sold
- and we moved to a land base. I was on board the Apollo
throughout that period except for the period July 1972 -
February 1973 when I was sent to ASHO on a mission.
[handwritten: the ship was later sold.]

4. In October 1975, I left the Apollo for land base in
Daytona Beach, California and in December 1975 we moved to
Clearwater, Florida where the headquarters for Flag were

5. "Flag" or headquarters for the Church of Scientology
were originally located aboard the Apollo and later transferred
to Clearwater when the Apollo was abandoned.

6. I was a member of the Scientology organization from
1968 until December 1982, when I managed to escape. As a
member, I held many positions in the Organization. Many of my
positions aboard the Apollo were in the upper echelons of the
Scientology administration and when I later moved to Clearwater
I worked in the FSO Treasury Division which handled all
disbursements of funds for operational expenses for the
Clearwater base.

7. My tenure on board the Apollo and later in Clearwater
overlapped the period that Tonja Burden was in Scientology. I


was familiar with Tonja because I had a young daughter,
Valerie, who was also a Commodore Messenger and who was very
good friends with Tonja throughout this period.

8. When I first joined Scientology many representations
were made to me which I later learned were untrue and outright
lies. They included the fact that the Church of Scientology
was a law-abiding, non-profit and benevolent organization.
The Church was founded by LRH who claimed he was a highly
accomplished individual; I was later told that LRH was a war
hero, had several degrees from institutions of higher learning,
had cured himself of crippling wounds and blindness with his
technology. I later learned these were all falsehoods. LRH
had developed an elaborate technology and, in order to learn
this "technology" or "tech", one had to go through a process
known as "auditing" [handwritten: , and "training."]

9. During auditing, a person is told to reveal to his "auditor"
all of his innermost personal secrets. The "preclear" (or person
undergoing auditing) is connected to an "E Meter" or a galvanic
skin response meter which is similar to a primitive lie detector.
Through the use of this machine, the veracity of the "preclear's"
responses are tested. The "preclear" pays for these sessions,
which I did, as well as paying for the sessions of my daughter,
Valerie, prior to joining the Sea Org. Each "preclear" is told
that the auditing


sessions are strictly confidential and similar to a
priest/penitent relationship. The trust in one's auditor and
the confidentiality of the sessions was a critical element for
me and one which I believe in. I later learned that auditing
is not confidential and that frequently members auditing files
[handwritten: folders] are culled for sensitive information to
be used to blackmail or intimidate a person who threatens the
Organization in any way. This includes attempting to leave the
Organization. I personally was present when members of the
Guardian's Office would "cull" files and look for sensitive
information. Many of my B-1 friends related stories of culling
auditing files to me.

10. When I first joined the Sea org I was told that we were
an elite group or the "creme de la creme". We were the most
important members of Scientology, the most dedicated on the
planet and, as such, were treated with the "red carpet". I
soon learned very differently once I boarded the Apollo. This
was the period of time that Tonja Burden was also aboard the
Apollo or Flag.

11. It was clear on Flag that everything was controlled and
run by LRH, known as the Commodore. His wife, Mary Sue Hubbard
(hereinafter referred to as "MSH"), was the Deputy Commodore
and, as second in command, her word and orders had the same
potency and importance as LRH. MSH also controlled the branch
of Scientology known as the Guardian's Office. They were


responsible for most of the criminal activity, intimidation and
harassive tactics perpetrated by the Scientology Organization.

12. I quickly learned that the life aboard the ship was run in
a very military-like fashion with none of the ceremonies of
benevolence that one would expect from a church. At the top of
the hierarchy was LRH and every member of the Sea Org worked
for his benefit and at his command.

13. The conditions aboard the Apollo were generally deplorable.
The [handwritten: most] quarters were cramped and damp. They
were roach infested. [handwritten: some] Married couples were
assigned to cabins in the aft end of the ship. There was little
privacy, the walls were paper thin, and the food was both
inadequate and atrocious. By contrast, the berthing areas for
LRH and MSH were plush, immaculately clean and stately. Both
LRH and MSH were aware of the apparent filthy conditions on
board the remainder of the ship. Everyone worked extremely
long hours, including the children, and there was little time
for sleep and virtually no time for recreation. Conditions for
those in the Rehabilitation Projects Force (hereinafter referred
to as "RPF") were even worse.

14. When I first boarded the Apollo, I was told that children
had to be at least 12 years of age to come on board. My daughter,
Valerie, was only 10 and, therefore, I placed her


in the care of another Scientology family. The rule later
changed and at age 10 1/2 years, Valerie came aboard the ship
in November 1972 when the Cadet Org was formed. At almost the
same time, I was transferred to ASHO and, thus, we were further
separated until I re-boarded the Apollo in March 1973.

15. When I first joined the Sea Org and later aboard the
Apollo, I was told that Valerie would receive an education
and that we would remain a close family unit. Valerie received
no formal education aboard the Apollo and when we later moved
to land base in Clearwater, she was allowed to attend school
only because it was mandatory under the laws of the State of

16. On board the Apollo, Valerie became a Messenger, first
for MSH and later a Commodore Messenger for LRH. She became
good friends with Tonja Burden since they were both Commodore
Messengers. The Messengers served as personal servants for
both LRH and MSH. They were all [handwritten: ("all" replaced
with "mostly")] young girls who worked very hard and saw to
every whim and fancy of LRH and MSH. They would be responsible
for every detail in the lives of LRH, including grooming, the
running of messages and developing plans to be carried out
worldwide. Later at land base, I heard they were involved
in the coding and decoding of telexes to the Scientology
Organizations and LRH worldwide.

17. While on board the Apollo, we often worked for 12-14
hours a day and longer, if necessary, if our "stats" were


down. The pay for this work was approximately $12 per week.
When I later worked for ASI (Author Services, Inc.), I received
approximately $160 gross or $125 net a week. From this pay was
[handwritten: I had to pay] subtracted money for room, board and
medical expenses.

18. We received very little medical or dental care. On
board the Apollo, there was never any doctor or dentist.

19. As I previously explained, life in Scientology was
military-like and for any infraction of a rule, one could
be sent to the EPF or RPF. I spent a large amount of time
[handwritten: 3 months] in the RPF and my daughter, Valerie,
was in both the EPF and RPF when she was a mere 11 years old.
Both the EPF and RPF were like prison. While in the EPF,
Valerie was forced to work long hours washing clothes
[handwritten: and cleaning cabins]. We barely had a chance
to see each other because of the long hours and in order to
get any liberty to see Valerie I had to petition MSH.

20. The RPF was even worse than the EPF. The slightest
infraction or decrease in productivity could result in a
messenger appearing and ordering you to the RPF. The RPF came
into existence in January 1974 and all crew aboard the Apollo
lived in constant fear of being sent there. While in the RPF I
had virtually no time [handwritten: not allowed] to see Valerie
since I was working the whole time. [handwritten: , and the
rules of the RPF.]


21. Life in the RPF was despicable and degrading. You lost
all sense of self-esteem, freedom and human dignity. It was a
world unto itself and you felt like a leper or a member of the
caste "The Untouchables". You could not speak to other crew
members unless you were spoken to and you had to "run"
everywhere. The conditions were even worse than on board the
regular quarters, damp, cold and, again, roach infested. The
food was substandard and members of the RPF only ate after
others had eaten. Often there was little leftover food.
Members of the RPF were forced to wear black boiler suits. We
slept very little everyday and awoke each morning to swab the
decks. We were allowed 30 seconds to shower and had to be up
and ready in the morning within 15 minutes. There was supposed
to be time for study and auditing, but this rarely occurred,
[handwritten: except in the RPF where it was the only way to
get out, was to complete a training & auditing program given
to you.]

22. While on board the Apollo and later in Clearwater, we
were trained to lie to customs and government officials. I had
first-hand knowledge of this because one of my positions
aboard the Apollo from March 1974 to November 1975 was as the
equipment, road manager and advance man for the "Apollo Troupe
Org" which was an entertainment group, [handwritten: and I dealt
first hand with them.]

23. When the Apollo docked in a foreign port, members of
the entertainment troupe would perform in the various ports.
As advance man, I was specifically told not to disclose that we


were a Scientology ship, but rather told to tell "shore
stories". We stated that we were a part of an international
management corporation and if confronted with any connection
to Scientology, we stated they were merely a client of ours.

24. This deception continued when we moved to land base and
first brought property in Clearwater. We moved there under
the guise of being "The United Churches of Florida". We never
stated we were the Church of Scientology. The land in Florida
was bought by a sham corporation, the Southern Land Development
Corporation and leased to United Churches of Florida. Later
the lies we had perpetrated leaked out and they learned that we
were, in fact, the Church of Scientology and had moved there
under false pretenses.

25. Once we moved to the land base, I became the head of
RAM (Records, Assets and Materiel) at Flag in December of 1975
which was a part of FSO (Flag Service Org). As head of RAM, I
was responsible for all insurance [for] buildings [handwritten:
+ auto, etc.] and banking for the entire Flag Land Base
[handwritten: except the FBO & SOR (item?)]. I handled
[handwritten: the accounting for] all money disbursements
and remained at Flag in Florida from December 1975 to march
1982, when I was sent to ASI (Author Services, Inc.) in Los
Angeles, California.

26. As head of treasury and later at ASI, it became readily
apparent to me who was controlling all assets for the Church.


All Scientology monies worldwide were controlled by LRH and
then second in command MSH while she remained Deputy
Commodore. While at ASI, LRH remained in control with Pat and
Anne Broeker and then David Miscavige in the chain of command.

27. When I first arrived at Flag in 1975, FSO was an
internal part of the Church of Scientology of California (CSC),
as were every other Scientology group which were all controlled
by LRH. In early 1981, the sham "corporate sort out" occurred
to protect the Scientology assets and LRH from investigations
by the IRS, FBI or other governmental agencies. This "sort
out" was deliberately perpetrated to shield LRH and the
enormous assets.

28. New organizations like FSO, CSI, CS Estates Org and CSC
[handwritten: existing corp.] were incorporated to hold assets.
They were merely sham corporations and were exclusively
controlled by LRH through a chain of command. Any management
and corporate officers were mere figureheads and each person
still reported through the same channels and had no independent
decision-making as to the Church's assets.

29. The purpose of the corporate "sort out" was to prevent
the government from getting any of the assets. I had many
conversations with other top level scientologists, including
Mike Rinder, Sam Licciardi, Wendell and Ellen Reynolds and


Jeannie Williamson that we were to hide LRH's assets and we
were primarily to shield LRH from "inurement", in other words,
from liability for taxes or tax fraud.

30. During my years in Scientology, I became aware of the
criminal operations that were going on through the Guardians
Office (G.O.) I knew from friends in the G.O., and first-hand,
that they had been gathering data and harassing people pursuant
to the "Fair Game Doctrine". I knew of specific individuals
who had been attacked, including Mayor Cazares of Clearwater.

31. After I escaped from Scientology in December of 1982, I
learned about G.O. harassment after a person left the group. I
know that anyone could be declared a "suppressive person" and,
in fact, even though the Church denies it, I have been called a
"suppressive person" by scientologists to my face. I know this
makes me subject to the "Fair Game Doctrine" and it is very

32. During the period 1974-1977, [handwritten: as well as the
rest of my tenure in the Sea Org] I know it was almost impossible
to leave the Organization and the only [handwritten: sure]
way to leave was to escape. All kinds of threats would be made
and an individual would be subject to "Sec Checks" (Security
Checks). I myself was subject to two horrible such "Sec Checks"
where I was deprived of sleep, food, water, and toilet facilities.
I was punched, spat upon, threatened, intimidated and completely


humiliated as a human being. In order to leave, people were
forced to sign releases against their will as I was. There was
no choice in signing the releases because you were [handwritten:
threatened to be] imprisoned and threatened with criminal "frame
ups" and possible kidnapping.

33. The organization also threatened individuals with
massive bills and debts which were all fraudulent. At the
time, I did not know that the debts were unenforceable and
I was frightened that I could be [handwritten: responsible
for these debts] imprisoned if I left Scientology without
paying these debts. I, myself, had sent bills to individuals
for debts incurred, including a $200,000 bill to Jim Isaacson
when I worked at ASI. It was ironic that the Organization
could control us through fear by alleging debts which they
claimed we had incurred when, in fact, we had worked endless
days with little pay and inadequate housing and food. Such was
the intimidation and fear they wielded over everyone.

34. All of the policies of harassment, fear, intimidation,
threats were all created by LRH who directed the enforcement
through MSH and the entire chain of command. Both LRH and MSH
were aware of the policies and their perpetration because
they, in fact, ordered them into operation and oversaw their
completion. These policies were all in operation during Tonja
Burden's tenure in Scientology and permeated every aspect of
the Organization.


DAY OF _____, 1986.
Howard Schomer

COUNTY OF _San Bernardino_ } SS.
ON 3-18-86 before me the undersigned a Notary
Acknow- Public in and for said State, personally appeared
ledgment - [Howard Schomer], personally known to me (or proved
Individual to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence) to be the
person _____ whose name is subscribed to the within
"instalment?" and acknowledged that he executed the
WITNESS my hand and official seal.
[signed: Dianna Mershon] [seal]
Signature of Notary (This area for official
Form No OCT-11a notarial seal)



Cogito, ergo sum. Just the FAQs:

Reply all
Reply to author
0 new messages