Today in Scientology -- April 19th **********

1 view

Scientology Today

Apr 19, 2010, 6:07:09 AM4/19/10
On April 19th in Scientology history
====================================

A standup guy?
April 19, 1996, Dan Kennedy, BU's Scientology Connection, Boston Phoenix
http://bostonphoenix.com/alt1/archive/specials/scientology/SCIENTOLOGY_2.html

To hear Cooley tell it, the Church of Scientology has been the victim
of vicious discrimination and misunderstanding.

Yes, church leaders went to prison in the late 1970s, he says, but the
current management has purged the organization and cleaned it up.

Yes, Hubbard made "hyperbolic" statements about "fair game" and the
purpose of lawsuits, but those were meant to apply to internal church
matters only. And besides, the "fair game" policy was revoked a year
after it was announced. ("It is in force, and it is used with the same
zeal with which it was used when it was first written," asserts Herbert
Rosedale, a New York lawyer and president of the American Family
Foundation, an organization that studies Scientology and other cults.)

No, Cooley says, the church doesn't practice "mind control," but it
certainly does engage in "behavior modification."

"If there were a religion that didn't try to modify behavior, it
wouldn't be doing its job," he says.

Tags: Arnaldo Lerma, Dennis Erlich, Earle Cooley, FACTNet, Fair Game, Judge
Brinkema, Legal, Russell Miller

====================================

BU's Scientology Connection -- Scientology's Tangled Web
April 19, 1996, Dan Kennedy, Boston Phoenix
http://bostonphoenix.com/alt1/archive/specials/scientology/TANGLED_WEB.html

Tags: Earle Cooley, Heber Jentzsch, Ron Newman, Steve Hassan, Steven Fishman

====================================

BU's Scientology Connection -- the Secrets of Scientology
April 19, 1996, Dan Kennedy, Boston Phoenix
http://bostonphoenix.com/alt1/archive/specials/scientology/SECRETS.html

====================================

Earle Cooley is chairman of BU's board of trustees. He's also made a career out of keeping L. Ron Hubbard's secrets.
April 19, 1996, Dan Kennedy, BU's Scientology Connection, Boston Phoenix
http://bostonphoenix.com/alt1/archive/specials/scientology/SCIENTOLOGY_1.html

It was last August 12, a Saturday morning, and Earle Cooley did not
seem happy.

Cooley was among several lawyers for the Church of Scientology who,
accompanied by federal agents, had just raided the Arlington, Virginia,
home of Arnaldo Lerma, a former church member who"d become a harsh
critic. The lawyers took quite a haul: Lerma's computer, disks, a
scanner, and other materials they thought he may have used to post
secret, copyrighted Scientology documents on the Internet.

The success of the operation, though, was not reflected in Cooley's
demeanor. "When he was sitting on my couch at the beginning of the
raid, he did not look pleased," says Lerma. "He knew there was going to
be trouble."

For one thing, as soon as the raid began, Lerma called two friends to
have them videotape the proceedings. For another, Lerma told Cooley
that he"d just been named to the board of FACTNet, a Golden,
Colorado-based anti-cult organization with the legal resources to
defend its members.

Tags: Arnaldo Lerma, Earle Cooley, FACTNet, Judge Brinkema, Judge Swearinger,
Steve Hassan

====================================

Scientology wants leader dropped from suit
April 19, 2000, Anita Kumar, St. Petersburg Times
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/52753662.html?dids=52753662:52753662&FMT=FT&FMTS=ABS:FT

The church goes to court this morning to ask a Hillsborough judge to
remove David Miscavige as a defendant in the wrongful death lawsuit. In
a separate action, the church filed a lawsuit in Pinellas circuit court
alleging McPherson's estate broke a 1997 agreement by including
Miscavige in the wrongful death suit in the first place.

In December, Hillsborough County Circuit Judge James S. Moody Jr.
stunned the church and its attorneys by allowing Miscavige, the
church's Los Angeles-based leader since 1986, to become part of the suit.

====================================

Mission Implausible ..or Tom Cruise and the riddle of the 'rigged' internet poll
April 19, 2006, Ryan Parry, Daily Mirror
http://www.mirror.co.uk/archive/2006/04/19/mission-implausible-89520-16962961/

Some 15,100 out of 18,000 votes in a magazine's internet survey - 84
per cent - blamed the media rather than the Mission: Impossible hero
for his poor image.

But suspicious bosses found 14,000 of the pro-Tom ballots came from
just 10 computers.

Alexis Collado, a spokesman for the magazine, Parade, said: "One
computer was responsible for nearly 8,400 votes, all blaming the media
for Tom's troubles.

====================================

Crui$ing for cash
April 19, 2007, AP and Post Wire Services, New York Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/04192007/news/regionalnews/cruiing_for_cash_regionalnews_.htm

Cruise's program - which had received hundreds of thousands of dollars
in city funds - hasn't been endorsed by the Fire or Police departments
and has been described by some experts as little more than medical
mumbo-jumbo.

"This is just hocus-pocus," Dr. Bob Hoffman of the New York City Poison
Control Center told The Post in 2004. "For some people, sitting in a
hot environment can be very dangerous."

Tags: Bob Hoffman, Detox, NYC, Patrick Bahnken, Tom Cruise

====================================

Cruise to detox NY
April 19, 2007, Daily Telegraph, PerthNow
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21498,21590052-5005368,00.html

SCIENTOLOGY fanatic Tom Cruise is in New York to solicit more cash for
his controversial venture to "detox" the heroes of September 11.
Cruise, 44, will appear at a private gala on Manhattan's West 18th
Street tonight to raise funds for the New York Rescue Workers
Detoxification Project, a program he co-founded in 2002.

Tags: Detox, Tom Cruise

====================================

FDNY Hierarchy Furious With Tom Cruise Over Scientology Detox for 9/11 Workers
April 19, 2007, Roger Friedman, Entertainment, FOX News

Tom Cruise comes to New York on Thursday night, hoping to raise
hundreds of thousands of dollars for Scientology. He's doing it under
the guise of a detox program for members of the New York Fire
Department who participated in the 9/11 clean-up.

There's only problem: No one from the hierarchy of the FDNY endorses
this program. The people I've talked to are furious with Cruise, and
want the rank and file of firemen in New York to stay away from it.

Tags: Detox, Hiram Monserrate, Tom Cruise

====================================

Mike thumps Tom
April 19, 2007, David Seifman, New York Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/04192007/news/regionalnews/mike_thumps_tom_regionalnews_david_seifman_______city_hall_bureau_chief.htm

Mayor Bloomberg yesterday blasted official proclamations drafted by a
city councilman honoring Tom Cruise and Scientology founder L. Ron
Hubbard for their roles in promoting a detoxification program for 9/11
rescue workers.

"I don't think it's appropriate to do that," said the mayor, reacting
to a report in yesterday's Post.

"I think that reputable scientists do not think Scientology has any
basis in science. It may be a cult, it may be a religion, it may be
beliefs. It's other things, but it's not science, and we should only
fund those programs that reputable scientists believe will stand the
light of day and the scientific method."

Tags: Detox, Hiram Monserrate, Howard Teich, Mike Bloomberg, NYC, Peter
Vallone, Rick Ross

====================================

Web version:
http://home.primus.ca/~ronsharp/FrontCiteTW.html#ScientologyToday

rhill

Apr 19, 2010, 8:29:04 AM4/19/10
On 10-04-19 06:07 AM, Scientology Today wrote:
> Crui$ing for cash
> April 19, 2007, AP and Post Wire Services, New York Post
> http://www.nypost.com/seven/04192007/news/regionalnews/cruiing_for_cash_regionalnews_.htm
>

> Cruise's program - which had received hundreds of thousands of dollars
> in city funds - hasn't been endorsed by the Fire or Police departments
> and has been described by some experts as little more than medical
> mumbo-jumbo.
>
> "This is just hocus-pocus," Dr. Bob Hoffman of the New York City Poison
> Control Center told The Post in 2004. "For some people, sitting in a hot
> environment can be very dangerous."
>
> Tags: Bob Hoffman, Detox, NYC, Patrick Bahnken, Tom Cruise

Do you have the full text for this one? For some reasons it is no longer
online. I say "for some reasons" since an article from the same outlet
on the same day *is* available
(http://www.nypost.com/seven/04192007/news/regionalnews/mike_thumps_tom_regionalnews_david_seifman_______city_hall_bureau_chief.htm)

banchukita

Apr 19, 2010, 11:39:07 AM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 8:29 am, rhill <rh...@xenu-directory.net> wrote:
> On 10-04-19 06:07 AM, Scientology Today wrote:
>
> > Crui$ing for cash
> > April 19, 2007, AP and Post Wire Services, New York Post
> >http://www.nypost.com/seven/04192007/news/regionalnews/cruiing_for_ca...

> > Cruise's program - which had received hundreds of thousands of dollars
> > in city funds - hasn't been endorsed by the Fire or Police departments
> > and has been described by some experts as little more than medical
> > mumbo-jumbo.
>
> > "This is just hocus-pocus," Dr. Bob Hoffman of the New York City Poison
> > Control Center told The Post in 2004. "For some people, sitting in a hot
> > environment can be very dangerous."
>
> > Tags: Bob Hoffman, Detox, NYC, Patrick Bahnken, Tom Cruise
>
> Do you have the full text for this one? For some reasons it is no longer
> online. I say "for some reasons" since an article from the same outlet
> on the same day *is* available
> (http://www.nypost.com/seven/04192007/news/regionalnews/mike_thumps_to...)

I hope you find it - its relevancy is important in the light of this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/nyregion/08lung.html?src=me

..."The study is the first to document long-term harm in a large group
of firefighters and emergency medical workers who worked at ground
zero between Sept. 11 and Sept. 24, 2001. All had had previous tests
of lung function, so there were baseline readings with which the
measurements after the attack could be compared.

The dust exposure left “a substantial proportion of workers with
abnormal lung function,” the researchers report in an article to be
published on Thursday in The New England Journal of Medicine..."

Android Cat

Apr 19, 2010, 8:01:30 PM4/19/10
"rhill" <rh...@xenu-directory.net> wrote in message

Sure! It's an AP story and those sometimes have a limited span.

/===
CRUI$ING FOR CASH
TOM BRINGS 'DETOX' FEST TO NYC

AP and Post Wire Services
April 19, 2007 -- Scientology nut Tom Cruise is in New York to solicit more

cash for his controversial venture to 'detox' the heroes of September 11.

As reported by the Post on April 6, Cruise, 44, will appear at a private

gala on Manhattan's West 18th Street tonight to raise funds for the New York
Rescue Workers Detoxification Project, a program he co-founded in 2002.

His wife, Katie Holmes, is also expected to be at the dinner, starting at 6
p.m.

Guests are paying as much as $100,000 for a table for eight.

"Nearly six years later, many are still paying a price for their heroic
service at the World Trade Center. This is a profound injustice," Cruise
told The Associated Press.

"This project has demonstrated that recovery is not only possible, but an
incontrovertible fact."

The program - based on Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard's principles -
offers free treatment to cops, firefighters and paramedics who suffer
breathing difficulties and other health issues after exposure to toxins at
Ground Zero following the 2001 terror attacks.

Participants are given vitamins - including high doses of niacin to release
fatty acids into the bloodstream - nutritional counseling and join daily
exercise and sauna sessions of up to 180 degrees. The 'detox' takes about 30
days, director Jim Woodworth said.

He said 785 workers had been treated.

"We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Tom," Woodworth said.

Patrick Bahnken, president of the New York Fire Department's union of
emergency workers and paramedics, said there was initial concern the program
would include religious rhetoric, but it was secular and results had been
positive.

"The majority of our members have reported an improvement in their quality
of life," Bahnken told AP.

New York City officials say 400,000 people were exposed to Ground Zero dust
and 71,000 have enrolled in a long-term health monitoring program for people
with and without health problems. Most experts believe there are thousands
of people still sick years after exposure.

Cruise's program - which had received hundreds of thousands of dollars in
city funds - hasn't been endorsed by the Fire or Police departments and has
been described by some experts as little more than medical mumbo-jumbo.

"This is just hocus-pocus," Dr. Bob Hoffman of the New York City Poison
Control Center told The Post in 2004. "For some people, sitting in a hot
environment can be very dangerous."

\===

Hmm, sounds a bit cheeky for a pure AP story. :-P

--
Ron of that ilk.

rhill

Apr 19, 2010, 8:59:43 PM4/19/10
On 10-04-19 08:01 PM, Android Cat wrote:
> "rhill" <rh...@xenu-directory.net> wrote in message
>> On 10-04-19 06:07 AM, Scientology Today wrote:
>>> Crui$ing for cash
>>> April 19, 2007, AP and Post Wire Services, New York Post
>>> http://www.nypost.com/seven/04192007/news/regionalnews/cruiing_for_cash_regionalnews_.htm

> Hmm, sounds a bit cheeky for a pure AP story. :-P

Ah thanks, you're right, it is the AP story, same as the one in the
Australian Daily Mail:
http://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainment/cruise-to-detox-ny/story-e6frg30c-1111113379110

Except that instead of "Scientology fanatic Tom Cruise," the Post says
"Scientology nut Tom Cruise," and except that the Post prefix the second
paragraph with "As reported by the Post on April 6" (in reference to the
other cheeky Post's, "TOM'S QUACKPOT FE$T TO HIT CITY".)