CofS critique part 8 of 8

Jeff Jacobsen

May 25, 1994, 11:44:34 AM5/25/94
THE HUBBARD IS BARE
CONCLUSION
by Jeff Jacobsen
PO Box 3541
Scottsdale, AZ 85271

copyright 1992 by Jeff Jacobsen
may be reprinted so long as it is kept in its entirety and not
edited.

THE IDEAL DIANETICS SOCIETY

...if anyone wants a monopoly on Dianetics, be assured that
he wants it for reasons which have to do not with Dianetics
but with profit.1

Hubbard's goal from the beginning was to "clear the planet",
in other words, to see that everyone on earth became a clear. Up
until the time that this happened, he envisioned a sharp
demarcation in status between clears (real people) and pre-clears
(deficient people). Only clears, for example, could marry and
bear children.2 And if pre-clears did have children, they would
most likely be taken away to avoid the "restimulative" affects
that parents would have on the child.3
"Perhaps at some distant date only the unaberrated person will
be granted civil rights before law. Perhaps the goal will be
reached at some future time when only the unaberrated person can
attain to and benefit from citizenship. These are desirable
goals."4 Would pre-clears have any rights whatsoever? And what
indeed would be the fate of those unfortunates who rejected
Hubbard's ideas, or even spoke out against him?
These questions can be answered to some degree by looking at
the organizations that Hubbard built, and the status of people
within and without these organizations. Non-Scientologists are
referred to by Scientologists normally as "wogs"5 or "raw meat,"
6 depending on whether they were being considered generic
outsiders or potential members. The judicial system in outside
society was referred to as the derogatory "wog law". Outside
society was an evil place surreptitiously controlled by
psychiatrists, who ran the media and governments. Psychiatry had
been attacking dianetics from its inception, claimed Hubbard,
"because they feared that as our power increased they would lose
their easy appropriations and fail in their plan for a 1984
World."7 It was to be a fight to the finish between the evil
outside world and the valiant crew of Hubbardites.
The goal of a Clear Planet was always the important thing. If
someone got in the way, they could be smashed. Hubbard wrote the
famous "Fair Game Policy" in 1967 in which he declared that
anyone caught disturbing Scientology's mission could be "tricked,
sued, or lied to, or destroyed."8 Another process called R2-45
involved making a person "go exterior" (i.e. leave his body) by
shooting the person in the head with a .45 pistol. Hubbard did
not say to use this process, however, because "its use is frowned
upon by society at this time,"9 but there have been some
disturbing incidents relating to R2-45.
Hubbard created a Guardian's Office, whose members were
responsible for bulldozing anything or anyone that may stand in
the way of Scientology. After the G.O. was disbanded when Mary
Sue Hubbard and other G.O. officers were sent to prison for
infiltrating federal offices, the Office of Special Affairs took
over the G.O.'s duties.
Within the organization, ethics took on strange meaning. The
purpose of ethics was "TO REMOVE COUNTER INTENTIONS FROM THE
ENVIRONMENT,"10 which could be interpreted to mean to remove
those obstructions to the church's accomplishing its goals. A
member stayed in good standing, not by being a good and moral
person, but by making sure he was producing for the church - "a
staff member can get away with murder so long as his statistic
[i.e. work record] is up and can't sneeze without a chop if it's
down."11 If the goal of a cleared planet was getting closer, and
all nay-sayers and critics were silenced, then all was well in
Hubbard's world, regardless of how these were accomplished.
Hubbard ruled the organization of the church like a dictator
with an eye for detail. Every structure and action of every
Scientologist was covered by some policy order or writing by
Hubbard. These had to be strictly followed. If someone was not
producing as much as was expected, he may be sent for a security
check on the E-meter (a crude lie-detector) to see if he may be a
subversive or suppressive person. If a member seemed to be
hindered by critical parents or a spouse, he would be ordered to
"disconnect," or cut off communication with, those people seen to
be impeding the work of the church. Most outside interests and
activities were given up to devote all possible time and energy
to the church's goals. In fact, members of the Sea Org, the
innermost unit of the church hierarchy, sign a form pledging to
devote themselves to Scientology for the next billion years.
The church has its own penal system known as the
Rehabilitation Project Force (RPF). Those who have gone through
the RPF describe a system similar to conditions in a gulag, where
there are scraps for food, little sleep, constant physical labor,
and intense degradation.12
In short, what Hubbard created was one of the closest replicas
of George Orwell's 1984 world in existence.

1 DIANETICS, p.226
2 DIANETICS, p.411
3 DIANETICS, p.209
4 DIANETICS, p.534
5 DIANETICS AND SCIENTOLOGY TECHNICAL DICTIONARY, p.471
6 ibid. p.335
7 "What Your Donations Buy" church of Scientology handout, p.3
8 HCO Policy Letter October 16, 1967
9 L. Ron Hubbard, THE CREATION OF HUMAN ABILITY (Sussex, England;
Department of Publications Worldwide, 1954) p. 120
10 HCO Policy letter of 18 June 1968
11 HCO Policy letter of 1 September AD15 (i.e. 1965)
12 A PIECE OF BLUE SKY, p. 206

CONCLUSION

Toward the end of my research on this booklet, I was
contemplating whether I really needed to read Korzybski's Science
and Sanity, the gnostic Pistis Sophia, and to listen to about 40
more hours of Hubbard's taped lectures I had access to before I
could call my research done. I decided that this was a case
similar to the nuclear arms race; you don't really need 30,000
atomic bombs if you already have 300. In other words, there is a
point of diminishing returns in gathering the lies, distortions,
errors, and wacky ideas Hubbard promulgated. After you have so
many, there's really no reason to keep gathering. Fortunately
for both of us, I decided that I had compiled enough evidence
already for my purpose, which was mainly to show Hubbard a fraud
for claiming that his ideas were his invention and the only hope
for mankind.
I understand, however, that there are people who say "so what
if he was a fraud, the tech. works!" To this I respond, what do
you mean by "works"? Do you mean that you feel better after
auditing? Do you mean that you can actually leave your body?
That you can alter the physical universe? That your IQ was
increased tremendously, that you never have colds, that you are
now more confident? Just what do you mean? I think what these
people mean is it makes them feel better. To that I would agree.
But I also hasten to add that just feeling better is not all
there is to life. In that case a lobotomized drunk might have
the ideal life, since he is not burdened by any worries and
always has that alcoholic high.
I would submit that our goal should be not just feeling good
but also learning about and learning how to live in the Real
World. There is a Real World that we all share (except, perhaps,
for lobotomized drunks). In this world, both of us will die if
hit by a bus doing about 60 mph, even if one of us thinks that by
positing a world where he survives such an encounter that he
thereby will survive. In this world, neither of us can control
street lights just by our will so they will turn green before we
get to the intersection. And in this world, Scientology takes
you away from the common sense and actuality of the Real World by
taking you to a Fake World where you sacrifice reality for a
sense of belonging and well-being.
So, yes, Scientology works, so long as you wish to live in the
Scientology World. But if you want to live in the Real World, it
doesn't. I was in a cult myself for 6 years in my own Fake
World. From that experience I can say that I prefer the Real
World with its uncertainties and problems to my Fake World where
I knew all the answers and felt the bliss of my mystical
experiences. The Fake World is an easier world to live in, but
what's the point? What is gained by living like some kids today
so deeply involved in Dungeons and Dragons fantasy that they
loose sight of food, sleep, jobs, family, friends? The Emperor
in his new fake clothes was quite happy amongst people who also
"saw" his wonderful robes, but when confronted by a child from
the Real World, his Fake World disintigrated. Is living in a
Fake World really worth anything? I think not.

There is much more evidence that has been presented by others
on the history of Scientology, the biographical data on L. Ron
Hubbard, and the horrible experiences that many Scientologists
have had. It was not my goal to even touch any of the above, and
it was not even my goal to comprehensively cover my selective
topic. It seemed to me that there was little written on the
ideas of dianetics and Scientology and their evolution. This is
what I attempted to uncover. My hope is that this will be useful
for those who have left the church so they can better understand
the illusion that caught them, for those who are investigating
the church with thoughts of joining, and for those with a
curiosity about one of the most dangerous organizations on earth
today. I also hope that this may be useful by suggesting an
approach to the study of other cults and movements in the
religious marketplace today.

FOR FURTHER READING:

Russell Miller, BARE FACED MESSIAH (New York; Henry Holt and Co.,
1987)

Stewart Lamont, RELIGION, INC. (London: Harrap, Ltd., 1986)

Bent Corydon and L. Ron Hubbard, Jr., L. RON HUBBARD, MESSIAH OR
MADMAN? (Secaucus, NJ; Lyle Stuart, Inc., 1987)

Jon Atack, A PIECE OF BLUE SKY (Carol Publishing Group, NYNY,
1990)

--
cult...@indirect.com
Jeff Jacobsen

wenge...@ccsua.ctstateu.edu

May 27, 1994, 1:18:52 PM5/27/94
In article <2rvrp2$6...@herald.indirect.com>, cult...@indirect.com (Jeff Jacobsen) writes:

> THE HUBBARD IS BARE
> CONCLUSION
> by Jeff Jacobsen
> PO Box 3541
> Scottsdale, AZ 85271
>
> copyright 1992 by Jeff Jacobsen
> may be reprinted so long as it is kept in its entirety and not
> edited.

> FOR FURTHER READING:
>
> Russell Miller, BARE FACED MESSIAH (New York; Henry Holt and Co.,
> 1987)

> Bent Corydon and L. Ron Hubbard, Jr., L. RON HUBBARD, MESSIAH OR
> MADMAN? (Secaucus, NJ; Lyle Stuart, Inc., 1987)
>
> Jon Atack, A PIECE OF BLUE SKY (Carol Publishing Group, NYNY,
> 1990)

Personally, I found the whole thing adorable Jeff. Thank you.

------------------< FAQ: Anti-Scientology books >------------------------

This FAQ contains background information on the following three
anti-Scientology books and their authors:

- Bent Corydon's _L. Ron Hubbard: Messiah or Madman?_
- Russell Miller's _Bare-faced Messiah_
- Jon Atack's _A Piece of Blue Sky_

References follow.

Last updated: 15-Apr-94

-------------
_L. Ron Hubbard: Messiah or Madman?_ -- by Bent Corydon and L. Ron
Hubbard Jr. a.k.a. Ronald DeWolf. (Secaucus, NJ: Lyle Stuart, 1987).

- Corydon is a former member of the Church of Scientology from
the 1960s and 1970s, who ran a Scientology Mission (small Church) in
Riverside, CA in the 1970s.
- In 1977, the Church withdrew Corydon's authorization to run the
Mission due to unethical and criminal behavior; in 1978 he was
excommunicated from the Church for these actions, which included:
- using Church funds for personal enrichment (incl. buying three
Cougar cars, a Mercedes, stereos, non-Church related trips to
Hawaii, Greece, England, Paris, and others). [1, 2, 3]
- condoning fraudulent bank loan schemes while he was the
Executive Director of the Riverside Mission. [3]
- assaulting a police officer with a deadly weapon. [4]
- During the early 1980s, Corydon attempted to illegally use the
Church's books in a splinter group called "Scio Logos." RTC
sued for copyright infringement.
- In 1987, Corydon published _L. Ron Hubbard: Messiah or Madman?_
with L. Ron Hubbard Jr. and himself listed as authors.
- Corydon's publisher was later sued by Ronald DeWolf (a.k.a. L. Ron
Hubbard Jr.) for (a) using LRH Jr's name as co-author of _Messiah
or Madman?_ without permission, and (b) for using numerous state-
ments LRH Jr. had made which he had later admitted in sworn affida-
vits to be untrue, such as "the false charge about my father and
drugs" and "the stories I had weaved about my childhood." [5, 6, 7, 8]
- Corydon was also sued by the Church of Scientology, in which the
the Church provided documentation disproving or bringing into
serious doubts most of Corydon's claims. [A Chapter by Chapter FAQ
is forthcoming.]
- Corydon eventually wrote to his publisher on 20-Dec-91, withdrawing
his approval and consent to republish _Messiah or Madman?_ [9]

_Bare-Faced Messiah, The True Story of L. Ron Hubbard_, by Russell Miller
(N.Y.: Henry Holt & Co., 1987).

- Miller is well-known for putting out superficial and poorly
researched biographies. In 1985, he wrote a biography of
J. Paul Getty which one reviewer described as having "glaring
omissions." In conclusion, the reviewer said, "This scrappy book
is under-researched, jerkily written, in parts erroneous and,
frankly dull." In response to Miller's book on Hugh Heffner in
1985, "Newsweek" described it as "...superficial reporting,
puffy writing and hamfisted analysis make this book as preten-
tious as its subject." It's not surprising then to see the pattern
continued in Miller's book on L. Ron Hubbard.
- Miller relied heavily on false statements made by ex-Scientologist
and perjuror Gerald Armstrong, who (a) stole personal documents of
LRH's and Mary Sue Hubbard's and then committed perjury in
connection to returning them [10] and (b) was involved in a plan to
plant false and incriminating documents on Church premises to
setup Church leaders. [11, 12]
- BBC researcher of LRH's life, Margaret Percy, called the materials
that Miller used "seriously flawed" upon examination of Miller's
manuscript on 27-Nov-87.
- In a letter to Miller's publisher, Ret'd Col. USAF L. Fletcher
Prouty (expert on LRH's WW II years) points out numerous "over-
sights" that Miller made in relation to LRH's military career.
Prouty states: "It is hard to understand the enormous oversight
we have here. In fact I have evidence that Miller has, or had
been offered all of these records that I had worked on; but
declined the offer. I can't use 'oversight.' He simply ignored
vital facts." [13]
- Miller made numerous false allegations, some of which follow:
- Miller claimed LRH didn't travel through China as a teenager;
a Helena newspaper article of the time shows otherwise. [14]
- Miller claimed there is no evidence that LRH was the youngest
Eagle Scout in America; same newspaper article of the time says
he was. [14] (When Miller was shown the article, he claimed he
had never seen it.)
- Miller implied that Cmdr. "Snake" Thompson (student and friend of
Freud's) not only didn't teach Freud's theories to LRH, but that
Thompson didn't even exist; documentation shows Cmdr. "Snake"
Thompson *did* exist, *was* a good friend of Freud's, and that he
*did* teach Freud's theories to LRH. [15, 16, 17]
- Miller claimed that LRH wasn't crippled and blinded at war's
end; Naval medical records and other documents show that he was.
[18, 19]
- Miller claimed LRH "had done his best to avoid seeing action"
during the war; Notice of Naval Separation [20], letter from Lt.
Prouty [13], and Battle Reports by LRH and T.S. Moulton [21, 22],
give a good overview of LRH's activities during the war.
- Miller claimed that LRH said: "If a man really wanted to make
a million dollars, the best way to do it would be to
start a religion" in a lecture at the 7-Nov-48 Eastern
Science Fiction Associaton; however, the following documents
demonstrate otherwise:
- court decision of 22-Oct-82 in Munich. [23]
- another court decision of 24-Sep-86 in Germany. [24]
- affidavit of lecture attendee David A. Kyle. [25]
- signed and witnessed statement of lecture attendee Jay Kay
Klein. [26]
- letter from George Orwell, in which Orwell did jokingly
make a similar statement. Letter is dated 16-Feb-38. [27]

_A Piece of Blue Sky_ -- by Jon Atack, 1990. (A Lyle Stuart Book, Published
by Carol Publishing Group).

- Jon Caven Atack is a former Scientologist (1975-1982) who
was born in Lichfield, Staffordshire, England in 1955.
- Prior to becoming a Scientologist, Atack had an extensive drug
history (LSD 53 times) as well as a drug-dealing history (con-
victed in 1973) [28]; additionally, Atack was institutionalized
in Nov. 1974. [29]
- Atack spends pages and pages of his book describing taped
lectures by ex-Scientologist Jon Zegel, describing them as an
"excellent" detailed source of information concerning the
history of the Church and important events within the Church.
Unmentioned by Atack was that two years prior to the publication
of his book, Zegel made a fourth and final tape, which entirely
refuted each of his prior tapes, even indicating who the sources
of his inaccurate information were. [30]
- Atack makes reference to a "one billion dollar lawsuit" being
spearheaded by "400 former members" of the Church. The lawsuit
he refers to, the "FAIR" case (Freedom for All in Religion), had
been dismissed *with prejudice*, a _year_ before the publication
of Atack's book. It was dismissed because the ex-Scientologists
who brought the suit were unable to substantiate their false
allegations with any specifics. Just before Atack's book came out
in 1990, the Court of Appeal upheld the dismissal of the case. [30]
- In his book, Atack makes ridiculous and sensational allegations
concerning LRH's personal life, originally made by Mr. Hubbard's
ex-wife Sara Northrup, more than 40 years earlier. What Atack
left out was that Sara Northrup executed a written statement
retracting all of her outrageous allegations and further stated:
"I have not at any time believed otherwise than that L. Ron Hubbard
was a fine and brilliant man." [31]

---------------------------

REFERENCES

Corydon's Book:

[1] Notarized affidavit by Bent Corydon, 6-Sep-78, admitting he used
Church money for personal enrichment, and condoning false loan
applications, while knowing that these actions were against
Church policy. [3 pages]
[2] Notarized affidavit by John Mongiello, a staff member at the
Mission that Corydon ran, dated Sept. 78 (estimated date; copy
unclear), points out in detail, how Corydon and his wife used Church
money for personal profit. [3 pages]
[3] Notarized affidavit by John Woodruff, a church official, dated Sept. 78
(estimated date; copy unclear), states his personal knowledge of
Corydon's involvement in falsifying loan applications. [2 pages]
[4] Arrest warrant on Bent Corydon - "Assault with Deadly Weapon." Cory-
don attempted to flee the area when police came to investigate reports
of his falsifying loan applications; while trying to escape, Corydon
attempted to run over a police officer with his car. [5 pages]
[5] Notarized affidavit by Ronald DeWolf (aka L. Ron Hubbard Jr.), dated
20-May-87, essentially states that he had not seen the manuscript for
_Messiah or Madman?_ and that previous statements he had made regarding
his father (L. Ron Hubbard) were "simply no more than wild flights of
fantasy based on my own unlimited imagination." [2 pages]
[6] Notarized affidavit by Ronald DeWolf, dated 1-Jul-87, in which he
states that he never agreed to be identified as the co-author of
_Messiah or Madman?_ and that he had earlier admitted to making "false
charges about my father and drugs" and "stories I had weaved
about my childhood." Additionally, he says "As a result of this false
representation about my contributions to the book I will be held respon-
sible by the book-buying public for a scurrilous attack on my father
which I did not write, which I do not endorse, and which I publicly
disavow." [6 pages]
[7] Notarized affidavit by Ronald DeWolf, dated 9-Jul-87, in which by then
he had read _Messiah or Madman?_ In the affidavit he states, "Corydon's
representations of the content of his interviews with me total no more
than three pages.... A good number of the statements attributed to me
in these passages I have previously declared as false." [5 pages]
[8] Transcript of a video recorded interview with Ronald DeWolf on 7-Nov-72.
In it he says: "...I felt it was about time that I quit fooling around
and being a child and quit messing about and lay the facts on the line
and say what I have been doing is a whole lot of lying, a whole lot of
damage to a lot of people that I value highly....I made some pretty
awful statements about the Sea Org and none of these are true. I've no
personal knowledge of any wrong doing or illegal acts or brutality or
anything else against people in the Sea Org or in fact any member of the
Scientology Organization." [2 pages]
[9] A letter from Bent Corydon to Lyle Stuart (publisher) dated 20-Dec-91.
In it he writes "This letter is my formal request that there be no re-
publication or re-release of that book in either its original form or
in any revised form. This letter will also serve as my notice to you
that any such republication or re-release will be without my approval,
consent or imprimatur." [1 page]

Miller's Book:

[10] Declaration by a Scientology staff member that shows that Armstrong
committed perjury numerous times. Armstrong told the court, on numerous
occasions, that he had returned all of the personal papers of LRH's and
Mary Sue Hubbard's that he had stolen (many of which were the sole
copy). Armstrong's statements later turned out to be lies. [3 pages]
[11] Declaration of Church attorney John G. Peterson which includes a tape
transcript of Armstrong conspiring to plant incriminating documents on
Church premises to frame Church staff members. This transcript shows
that he was working with the LA IRS CID to pull off this illegal stunt.
[7 pages]
[12] Declaration of Church attorney Earle C. Cooley which includes a tape
transcript which clearly shows that as part of this conspiracy to plant
incriminating documents, Armstrong said to "just f*cking allege" wrong-
doing by the Church, since no actual wrongdoing had been found.
[20 pages]
[13] Letter from L. Fletcher Prouty, Colonel, U.S. Air Force (Ret'd) dated
4-Oct-87, points out glaring omissions in Miller's handling of LRH's
years in the Navy during WW II. This letter gives insight into LRH's
injuries, medals, and accomplishments during WW II. [9 pages]
[14] Newspaper clipping from Helena's "Montana Independent" in 1929, which
includes an interview with L. Ron Hubbard at age 17, after returning
from a trip to the Hawaiian Islands, the Phillipines, China and Japan.
Additionally, the article also says that "Ronald Hubbard has the dis-
tinction of being the only boy in the country to secure an Eagle Scout
badge at the age of 12." [1 page]
[15] Copy of a list of retired Medical Directors, out of a book from the
"National Archives and Records Service" shows Commander Joseph Thompson
listed in the late 1920s. [1 page]
[16] Personal letter from Freud to Dr. Joe Thompson. [1 page]
[17] A charcoal sketch of Joseph Thompson from his daughter, showing the
capitalized "J" and "T" with snakes drawn in for the crossbars,
because of his work in ophiology (study of snakes); thus the nickname
Joe "Snake" Thompson used by LRH. [1 page]
[18] Medical report from Oakland Naval Hospital dated 1-Dec-45, which states
that LRH had "failing eyesight....Lame in right hip from service
connected injury. Infection in bone. Not misconduct, all service
connected." [1 page]
[19] Extract from BBC Radio show on John Campbell, 29-Nov-87, which quotes
Perry Chapdelaine as saying "John Campbell states that Hubbard was in
superior fettle until he went to the Navy, and when he came back he was
pretty much of a shattered man...Campbell really did not expect to get
a story from Hubbard again that would be printable. And a year later,
Hubbard was back again in superior fettle." [1 page]
[20] Notice of Naval Separation dated 6-Dec-45. Shows medals and awards
including: Purple Heart (palm) Victory Medal
Letter Commendation Dist. Marksman
Unit Citation Rifle, Pistol Exp.
European Theater (1 star)
American " (2 stars) Marine Medal
Asiatic-Pac. Theater (3 stars)
The "Purple Heart" is only given to those wounded in combat; with "palm"
indicates that the recipient was wounded on at least two occasions.
[1 page]
[21] A battle report by LRH dated 25-May-43, clearly describes a battle be-
tween two submarines and the USS PC-815 (submarine chaser) which LRH was
commanding. [19 pages]
[22] A corroborative "After Battle Report" dated 25-May-43, by the Executive
Officer of the USS PC-815, Thomas S. Moulton, concluded:
"...
(1) During the period from 0300, Tuesday, April 18, 1943, until
2400, Friday, April 21, 1943, the U.S.S. P.C. 815 fought two
submarines, presumably Japanese.
(2) That one of them was definitely sunk, beyond doubt.
(3) That the second was damaged beyond repair and may therefore
be considered as not capable of returning to Japanese terri-
tory. ..." [1 page]
[23] A Munich court decision dated 22-Oct-82 (File Number: 9019 087/82) in a
suit by the Church of Scientology in Germany against a newspaper, stated
(translated from German): "The defendant is forbidden to make the
following statements and/or to spread and/or to publish them and can be
fined up to 500,000 DM...:
1. That the Founder of the teachings of the Plaintiff, L. Ron Hubbard
might have stated and/or had stated that one who wanted to rake in
millions should found his own religion; ..." [4 pages]
[24] A court decision dated 17-Sep-86 (File Number 90 17718/86) in Dusseldorf
brought by the Church against Econ-paperback publishing house, handed
down the following decision (translated from German): "The accused
(Econ...) binds itself to cease and desist in avoidance of a contractual
penalty of 5000,--DM becoming due in every case of infringement, to
reproduce...the (alleged) statement of Hubbard...'who wants to amass
millions, best founds (his) own religion.'" [3 pages]
[25] Notarized affidavit of David A. Kyle (dated 5-May-93), an attendee of
the 7-Nov-48 "Eastern Science Fiction Association" where L. Ron Hubbard
was the main speaker. In this affidavit, Kyle says: "...During this
meeting L. Ron Hubbard autographed books for the audience and gave a
talk on the issue of man and immortality. This was well received by the
audience....I have heard that many years later, an allegation was made
that during this meeting, L. Ron Hubbard's remark about creating a
religion in order to make money was said. This allegation has always
been hearsay not in accordance with my first hand knowledge of L. Ron
Hubbard. I consider that the source of this allegation and many other
allegations about L. Ron Hubbard are suspect, each of these persons
having their own axe to grind, as no evidence has ever been presented
to back any of them with facts." [1 page]
[26] Signed and witnessed statement of Jay Kay Klein, dated 7-May-93, in which
he states: "...On November 7, 1948, I attended a meeting of the Eastern
Science Fiction Association at Slovak Sokol Hall in Newark, New Jersey.
...L. Ron Hubbard was introduced by Sam Moskowitz as a 'Renaissance
Man,' citing his attainments and accomplishments for his designation...
Nowhere in L. Ron Hubbard's lecture that followed do I recall there
having been mention of religion as a means of acquiring money, nor do I
recall anything of this nature in the following question and answer
period. Indeed, such material would have been out of place in a talk
about the future course of events as they would effect human beings on
this planet." [1 page]
[27] Letter from George Orwell to Jack Common dated 16-Feb-38; taken from
the book _Collected Essays, Journalism Letters of George Orwell,
Volume 1_ in which Orwell states in jest: "...But I have always thought
there might be a lot of cash in starting a new religion, and we'll talk
it over some time. ..." [1 page]

Atack's Book:

[28] A petition to join staff written by Jon Atack on 13-Feb-80, detailing
his criminal drug history and his psychiatric history. [4 pages]
[29] A 26 page single-spaced tape transcript from Jon Zegel, dated 20-May-87.
Jon Zegel was one of the initiators of a Scientology splinter group. In
the tape, Zegel retracts and explains each of his three prior tapes,
providing sources of inaccurate information where possible. [26 pages]
[30] Court decision from the Calif. Court of Appeal, dated 5-May-90 (No.
BO37375, Super.Ct.No. CA01012), up-holding the 20-Jul-88 decision, in
which all charges against the Church were dismissed as unsubstantiated.
[9 pages]
[31] Statement (signed by witnesses) made by Sara Northrup (ex-wife of LRH)
dated 11-Jun-51, states: "...I have not at any time believed otherwise
than that L. Ron Hubbard was a fine and brilliant man." [1 page]

All of these references are available from me. I don't have them in elec-
tronic form yet, but should have .GIFs eventually. If you'd like hard copies,
send me a note telling me which ones you'd like. For seven or more pages,
please send me 10 cents/page plus postage. My address is:

Brian Wenger
P.O. Box 2913
New Britain, CT 06050

Once a few other projects I'm working on are done, I might take time to put
them all into ASCII.

-------------------------------< END >-----------------------------------

> Jeff Jacobsen

------------
Brian Wenger (wen...@ccsua.ctstateu.edu) Scientologist since 1981
Asst. Dir. Info. Systems
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT 06050
-------------------------------------
The opinions expressed above are my own and not necessarily those of my
employer.

Donald Lindsay

May 28, 1994, 12:27:27 AM5/28/94

In article <1994May27...@ccsua.ctstateu.edu>,

<wenge...@ccsua.ctstateu.edu> wrote:
>------------------< FAQ: Anti-Scientology books >------------------------

You haven't updated this much. I still have the same complaints.

>_Bare-Faced Messiah, The True Story of L. Ron Hubbard_, by Russell Miller
>(N.Y.: Henry Holt & Co., 1987).

> - In a letter to Miller's publisher, Ret'd Col. USAF L. Fletcher
> Prouty (expert on LRH's WW II years) points out numerous "over-
> sights" that Miller made in relation to LRH's military career.

Prouty is an anti-Holocaust nut case. His analysis (which you
posted) consisted of weak suppositions, with no evidence to speak of.
I'm still amazed that you aren't ashamed to use his name: I wouldn't
want a Holocaust denier as *my* expert witness.

> - Miller made numerous false allegations, some of which follow:

Strangely, when the Church sued to prevent the publication of this
book, the Church's lawyers didn't argue that the book was inaccurate.

> - Miller claimed there is no evidence that LRH was the youngest
> Eagle Scout in America; same newspaper article of the time says
> he was.

And the clipping is ... an interview with Hubbard! Gosh, that really
proves that Hubbard's claim is corroborated, doesn't it?

> - Miller claimed that LRH wasn't crippled and blinded at war's
> end; Naval medical records and other documents show that he was.

Please. Miller's claim was that LRH's diaries said he faked it.

> - Miller claimed that LRH said: "If a man really wanted to make
> a million dollars, the best way to do it would be to
> start a religion" in a lecture at the 7-Nov-48 Eastern
> Science Fiction Associaton;

My copy of Miller says no such thing, and I've told you this
before.

However, I updated my "start a religion" FAQ, and posted it tonight.
Seems pretty clear that Hubbard did say it, almost certainly more
than once.

--
Don D.C.Lindsay Carnegie Mellon Computer Science

wenge...@ccsua.ctstateu.edu

May 30, 1994, 10:54:08 PM5/30/94
Don Lindsay wrote:
>In article <1994May27...@ccsua.ctstateu.edu>,
> <wenge...@ccsua.ctstateu.edu> wrote:
>>------------------< FAQ: Anti-Scientology books >------------------------
>
>You haven't updated this much. I still have the same complaints.
>
>>_Bare-Faced Messiah, The True Story of L. Ron Hubbard_, by Russell Miller
>>(N.Y.: Henry Holt & Co., 1987).
>> - In a letter to Miller's publisher, Ret'd Col. USAF L. Fletcher
>> Prouty (expert on LRH's WW II years) points out numerous "over-
>> sights" that Miller made in relation to LRH's military career.
>
>Prouty is an anti-Holocaust nut case. His analysis (which you
>posted) consisted of weak suppositions, with no evidence to speak of.
>I'm still amazed that you aren't ashamed to use his name: I wouldn't
>want a Holocaust denier as *my* expert witness.

Show me (or point me to) a single quote of Prouty's that shows he feels
this way. Once again, you use hearsay to defend your character assasina-
tion. My FAQ is based on documents that are legal and binding. Your FAQ is
based on hearsay.

>> - Miller made numerous false allegations, some of which follow:
>
>Strangely, when the Church sued to prevent the publication of this
>book, the Church's lawyers didn't argue that the book was inaccurate.

Strangely, it doesn't change the fact that they are false.

>> - Miller claimed there is no evidence that LRH was the youngest
>> Eagle Scout in America; same newspaper article of the time says
>> he was.
>
>And the clipping is ... an interview with Hubbard! Gosh, that really
>proves that Hubbard's claim is corroborated, doesn't it?

Have you read the clipping? It wasn't Hubbard that was making the claim.

>> - Miller claimed that LRH wasn't crippled and blinded at war's
>> end; Naval medical records and other documents show that he was.
>
>Please. Miller's claim was that LRH's diaries said he faked it.

According to....TA DA....Mr. Gerald Armstrong...the one and only fellow
who said: if you can't find evidence of wrongdoing by the Church "f*cking
allege" wrongdoing. Now there's someone to trust. Miller really went for
the good ones, didn't he?

>> - Miller claimed that LRH said: "If a man really wanted to make
>> a million dollars, the best way to do it would be to
>> start a religion" in a lecture at the 7-Nov-48 Eastern
>> Science Fiction Associaton;
>
>My copy of Miller says no such thing, and I've told you this
>before.

I'll double-check and correct if necessary.

>However, I updated my "start a religion" FAQ, and posted it tonight.
>Seems pretty clear that Hubbard did say it, almost certainly more
>than once.

Seems pretty clear that we have quite a rumor, and all sorts of people
conveniently start remembering it forty years later for an expose' book
on LRH; yet when we look for the legal evidence, the only thing we find
is that there is *no* actual evidence. How interesting....