Is Neil Gaiman still an SP?

Byll23

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Well, is he? I've read that SP-hood is "contagious", in that someone can get
'declared' merely for associating with an SP. Does that make Tori Amos an SP by
association? If so, then _damn_ we're in good company! :-)

XxxMisterEarlxxx

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
byl...@aol.com wrote:

Who is Neil Gaiman?

Markus Imhof

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00

Only the author of the best comic series so far and co-author (together
with Terry Pratchett) of a book that had the fans shouting for more,
apart from a few quite interesting novels and a nice book about the
history of HHGTTG. Not as rich as Terry Pratchett yet (I believe), but
he's still young :-)

Bye
Markus

Raptavio

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
In article <392A463C...@bch.siemens.de>,

He's also the son of David Gaiman, a high mucketymuck in the CoS. The
story is that he is estranged from his father and while once in the CoS
(as in growing up in the CoS), he is now SP-declared.

I will have the opportunity to ask him about such things and hope I can
work out a full interview with him at a convention this July. Of
course, he may choose to not speak of it, and that's his right which I
will respect.

--
"It must be exciting to think that way, but a drag to have to deal with
the clinical diagnosis."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Warrior

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00

In article <8geedl$om7$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Raptavio says...

>He's also the son of David Gaiman, a high mucketymuck in the CoS. The
>story is that he is estranged from his father and while once in the CoS
>(as in growing up in the CoS), he is now SP-declared.

David Gaiman was a Deputy Guardian for Public Relations in Scientology's
Guardian Office World Wide under Jane Kember, who was the Guardian WW.
David Gaiman was born in England in 1933 and has been a Scientologist
since 1956.

>I will have the opportunity to ask him about such things and hope I can
>work out a full interview with him at a convention this July. Of course,
>he may choose to not speak of it, and that's his right which I will
>respect.

The Austin American-Statesman newspaper ran an ad in its Friday, May 19th,
2000 issue on page E2 of the "Movies and More" section. The ad is a full
one-fourth of a page. The ad promotes both the book by L. Ron Hubbard,
and the movie, with the words "NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE" appearing just
above a picture of the cover of _Battlefield Earth_. The ad is more of an
advertisement for the book.

The fine print at the bottom of the ad says, "© 2000 BPI [Bridge Publi-
cations Incorporated]. All Rights Reserved. BATTLEFIELD EARTH is a
trademark owned by Author Services, Inc. and is used with its permission."

One of the blurbs used in the ad to promote the book is a quote reportedly
from Neil Gaiman. It says, "I found it un-put-downable."

I'm not certain whether Neil uttered these words before he was declared
"SP", but you may wish to ask him if he has any comment about this.

It's possible that Scientology is using the words of a now declared "SP"
to promote its book. Stranger things have happened.

Warrior
See http://www.entheta.net/entheta/1stpersn/warrior/

Ian Rennie

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
On 23 May 2000, Warrior wrote:

> >> XxxMisterEarlxxx asked:

> In article <8geedl$om7$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Raptavio says...
> >
> >He's also the son of David Gaiman, a high mucketymuck in the CoS. The
> >story is that he is estranged from his father and while once in the CoS
> >(as in growing up in the CoS), he is now SP-declared.

odd. I recently read an interview with him and he said he was brought up
Jewish.

Taken from http://www.scifi.com/transcripts/1998/NeilGaiman.html:

'As a kid, I was the jewish boy in the High C of E school who won the
religious studies prize...'

he also describes his own beliefs as 'pretty amorpheous'

chee...@pop.phnx.uswest.net

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Is this San Diego? If so, Ill be there too. I wonder if he'd get pissed if
people kept asking about CO$? cheese23

Raptavio wrote:

> In article <392A463C...@bch.siemens.de>,
> Markus Imhof <markus...@bch.siemens.de> wrote:
> > XxxMisterEarlxxx wrote:

> someone can get
> Amos an SP
> > >
> > > Who is Neil Gaiman?
> >
> > Only the author of the best comic series so far and co-author
> (together
> > with Terry Pratchett) of a book that had the fans shouting for more,
> > apart from a few quite interesting novels and a nice book about the
> > history of HHGTTG. Not as rich as Terry Pratchett yet (I believe), but
> > he's still young :-)
>

> He's also the son of David Gaiman, a high mucketymuck in the CoS. The
> story is that he is estranged from his father and while once in the CoS
> (as in growing up in the CoS), he is now SP-declared.
>

> I will have the opportunity to ask him about such things and hope I can
> work out a full interview with him at a convention this July. Of
> course, he may choose to not speak of it, and that's his right which I
> will respect.

Raptavio

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
In article <8gena0$1p...@drn.newsguy.com>,

Warrior <war...@entheta.net> wrote:
> >> XxxMisterEarlxxx asked:

> In article <8geedl$om7$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Raptavio says...
> >
> >He's also the son of David Gaiman, a high mucketymuck in the CoS. The
> >story is that he is estranged from his father and while once in the
CoS
> >(as in growing up in the CoS), he is now SP-declared.
>
> David Gaiman was a Deputy Guardian for Public Relations in
Scientology's
> Guardian Office World Wide under Jane Kember, who was the Guardian WW.
> David Gaiman was born in England in 1933 and has been a Scientologist
> since 1956.

What has David done since the GO was shut down?

> >I will have the opportunity to ask him about such things and hope I
can
> >work out a full interview with him at a convention this July. Of
course,
> >he may choose to not speak of it, and that's his right which I will
> >respect.
>

> The Austin American-Statesman newspaper ran an ad in its Friday, May
19th,
> 2000 issue on page E2 of the "Movies and More" section. The ad is a
full
> one-fourth of a page. The ad promotes both the book by L. Ron Hubbard,
> and the movie, with the words "NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE" appearing
just
> above a picture of the cover of _Battlefield Earth_. The ad is more
of an
> advertisement for the book.
>
> The fine print at the bottom of the ad says, "© 2000 BPI [Bridge
Publi-
> cations Incorporated]. All Rights Reserved. BATTLEFIELD EARTH is a
> trademark owned by Author Services, Inc. and is used with its
permission."

> One of the blurbs used in the ad to promote the book is a quote
reportedly
> from Neil Gaiman. It says, "I found it un-put-downable."
>
> I'm not certain whether Neil uttered these words before he was
declared
> "SP", but you may wish to ask him if he has any comment about this.
>
> It's possible that Scientology is using the words of a now
declared "SP"
> to promote its book. Stranger things have happened.

Thanks for the info, Warrior. I hope I get the chance to sit down and
interview him, whether his status is SP or practicing Scientologist.

Chris Owen

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
In article <8ggnsq$bgo$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Raptavio
<lordmagnu...@my-deja.com> writes

>> In article <8geedl$om7$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Raptavio says...
>> >
>> >He's also the son of David Gaiman, a high mucketymuck in the CoS. The
>> >story is that he is estranged from his father and while once in the
>CoS
>> >(as in growing up in the CoS), he is now SP-declared.
>>
>> David Gaiman was a Deputy Guardian for Public Relations in
>Scientology's
>> Guardian Office World Wide under Jane Kember, who was the Guardian WW.
>> David Gaiman was born in England in 1933 and has been a Scientologist
>> since 1956.
>
>What has David done since the GO was shut down?

He was briefly purged but soon brought back into the fold, and for the
last decade has been pimping Scientology in Russia; according to the
Russian newspaper Metaphraxis, he was heavily involved in bringing
Russian children suffering from post-Chernobyl radiation poisoning to
Britain to undergo Narconon "detoxification".

--
| Chris Owen - chr...@OISPAMNOlutefisk.demon.co.uk |
| THE TRUTH ABOUT L. RON HUBBARD AND THE UNITED STATES NAVY |

Rick English

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Chris Owen <chr...@lutefisk.OISPAMNOdemon.co.uk> wrote:

>>What has David done since the GO was shut down?
>
>He was briefly purged but soon brought back into the fold, and for the
>last decade has been pimping Scientology in Russia; according to the
>Russian newspaper Metaphraxis, he was heavily involved in bringing
>Russian children suffering from post-Chernobyl radiation poisoning to
>Britain to undergo Narconon "detoxification".

Was this the PR stunt that resulted in the Russians banning
medical practioners from using anything to do with
Scientology ?

That wouldn't have earned him many brownie points !

RE

Chris Owen

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
In article <392ce132....@news.supernews.com>, Rick English
<n...@thank.you> writes

Actually they appear to have got a new permit to operate - check out
their site at http://www.narconon.ru. Unfortunately I can't read
Russian so I can't tell you any more about it.

Raptavio

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
In article <392BA4DD...@pop.phnx.uswest.net>,

chee...@uswest.net wrote:
> Is this San Diego? If so, Ill be there too. I wonder if he'd get
pissed if
> people kept asking about CO$? cheese23

Possibly. I intend to apprach the subject delicately. I talked with
Peter David, a friend of his and fellow author, a few months ago. Peter
was surprised to hear of Gaiman's connection with Scientology (this is
a bad sign for me being able to talk to him about it) but said that
Neil is a very approachable guy and if he doesn't want to talk about
something he will be polite about it.

And no, not San Diego. St. Paul, MN. Tho if I could go to SD I would :)

> Raptavio wrote:
>
> > In article <392A463C...@bch.siemens.de>,
> > Markus Imhof <markus...@bch.siemens.de> wrote:

> > someone can get
Tori
> > Amos an SP

> > > Only the author of the best comic series so far and co-author
> > (together
> > > with Terry Pratchett) of a book that had the fans shouting for
more,
> > > apart from a few quite interesting novels and a nice book about
the
> > > history of HHGTTG. Not as rich as Terry Pratchett yet (I
believe), but
> > > he's still young :-)
> >

> > He's also the son of David Gaiman, a high mucketymuck in the CoS.
The
> > story is that he is estranged from his father and while once in the
CoS
> > (as in growing up in the CoS), he is now SP-declared.
> >

> > I will have the opportunity to ask him about such things and hope I
can
> > work out a full interview with him at a convention this July. Of
> > course, he may choose to not speak of it, and that's his right
which I
> > will respect.

frank being

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
Neil's father was a high level Scino, but Neil has spoken out against the
church in the past.
.ir.
- - -

My subjectivity and the creator : this is too much for one brain.
--Lautremont

Paulettec

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
Neil's father, David Gaiman, was in back of some of the harassment in the 70's.

Among other things, when I was in Scotland to write a travel article (right
after my book came out), mysterious callers kept trying to find out my room
number; the hotel was surrounded with hostile Scientologists who kept shouting
at me when I entered or left the hotel, etc.

Fortunately, the manager told me that he knew all about the Scientologists, and
they gave me protection.

Paulette Cooper

Raptavio

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
In article <20000525191500...@ng-fq1.aol.com>,

independ...@aol.commercial (frank being) wrote:
> Neil's father was a high level Scino, but Neil has spoken out against
the
> church in the past.
> .ir.
> - - -

Can you point me to any quotes?

Raptavio

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
In article <20000526081956...@ng-md1.aol.com>,

Paulette, any details you could provide specifically relating to David
would be immensely helpful.

Paulettec

May 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/27/00
Mercifully I remember little since my dealings with him were 30 years ago.

I do remember that he personally served me with a lawsuit from the Church of
Scientology in England while I was in Scotland.

I believe he was at the airport, and I had thought the trip was secret (at
least from Scientology) but he was waiting for me at the airport and he walked
over to me and said somethinglike "Welcome to Scotland" and handed me the
lawsuit.

It turned out to be a bogus suit (it had not been filed with the court) but was
just done to frighten and harass me (and cost me money) .
Furthermore, the suit (and the Scientologists surrounding the hotel and
shouting at me and trying to find out my room number from the front clerk) made
me unable to research my travel story, because I was too upset and preoccupied
to work. Besides, I had to spend all my time with lawyers because of this
"suit" while I was there.

I also remember that I talked with Gaiman on the phone for about an hour while
I was in Troon (?) but I don't remember the details.

What I will never forget, though, is that some high Scientology mucky muck, and
it was most likely Gaiman on that conversation, hinted that if I continued my
plans to have the book published, my life would become hell. (They weren't
kidding!)

And I was also told (probably on that conversation) that if I changed my mind
and didn't publish the "Scandal of Scientology," they would give me a book to
write that they would sell in their bookstores that would sell extremely well.

Needless to say I refused, but a certain writer, who I will not name, I believe
later accepted this thinly-disgused bribery.

Paulette Cooper

Starshadow

May 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/27/00

Paulettec <paul...@aol.com> wrote in message

Paulette, it's nice to see you posting here. And just want to say once again
how much your book helped me.

Thanks.

It was great ammunition, back when I was learning just how corrupt this
cult was, back when all I knew of it was what Hubbard had told me, and up to
then I figured it was a case of "caveat emptor". You opened my eyes.

And it got me to ars.

And since then I've been effective in deflecting a few people from the
cult's clutches. I may not be as effective as some critics in dethroning the
abuses, but I do my small bit.

And you should know how much your book meant to that.

--
Bright Blessings,

Starshadow (SP4, KoX) (remove lovesxenu to reply)

"Feminism--the radical notion that women are people, too"

Michael 'Mike' Gormez -- www.b-org.demon.nl/scn/deaths

May 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/28/00
In article <onZgZHA1...@lutefisk.demon.co.uk>, Chris Owen
<chr...@lutefisk.OISPAMNOdemon.co.uk> wrote:

>>What has David done since the GO was shut down?
>
>He was briefly purged but soon brought back into the fold, and for the
>last decade has been pimping Scientology in Russia; according to the
>Russian newspaper Metaphraxis, he was heavily involved in bringing
>Russian children suffering from post-Chernobyl radiation poisoning to
>Britain to undergo Narconon "detoxification".

For the Metaphraxis article
http://www.b-org.demon.nl/scn/deaths/others/russia.html

Btw, why don't you mail Alexander Dvorkin and ask him whether they've a
new license in Russsia?

Mikey
--
The Church of Prozac is an Applied Medicated Religious Philosophy
http://members.ams.chello.nl/mgormez/misc/church_of_prozac.html

Raptavio

May 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/28/00
In article <20000527093048...@ng-bh1.aol.com>,

You've got a hell of a story to tell Paulette. :) I appreciate your
sharing some of it with us. If you remember anything else about David
Gaiman, please let me know.

> Needless to say I refused, but a certain writer, who I will not name,
I believe
> later accepted this thinly-disgused bribery.

I hate it when people do this. "I've got a secret I've got a secret and
I'm not gonna tell you I'm not gonna tell you"....

Chris Owen

May 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/28/00
In article <39316862...@news.a2000.nl>, Michael 'Mike' Gormez --
www.b-org.demon.nl/scn/deaths <mgo...@chello.nl> writes

>In article <onZgZHA1...@lutefisk.demon.co.uk>, Chris Owen
><chr...@lutefisk.OISPAMNOdemon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>>What has David done since the GO was shut down?
>>
>>He was briefly purged but soon brought back into the fold, and for the
>>last decade has been pimping Scientology in Russia; according to the
>>Russian newspaper Metaphraxis, he was heavily involved in bringing
>>Russian children suffering from post-Chernobyl radiation poisoning to
>>Britain to undergo Narconon "detoxification".
>
>For the Metaphraxis article
>http://www.b-org.demon.nl/scn/deaths/others/russia.html
>
>Btw, why don't you mail Alexander Dvorkin and ask him whether they've a
>new license in Russsia?

I would if I had his address! Do you have it?

Chris Owen

May 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/28/00
In article <8gps1v$q25$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Raptavio
<lordmagnu...@my-deja.com> writes

>In article <20000527093048...@ng-bh1.aol.com>,
> paul...@aol.com (Paulettec) wrote:
>>
>> And I was also told (probably on that conversation) that if I changed
>my mind
>> and didn't publish the "Scandal of Scientology," they would give me a
>book to
>> write that they would sell in their bookstores that would sell
>extremely well.
>
>> Needless to say I refused, but a certain writer, who I will not name,
>I believe
>> later accepted this thinly-disgused bribery.
>
>I hate it when people do this. "I've got a secret I've got a secret and
>I'm not gonna tell you I'm not gonna tell you"....

Paulette's referring to Omar V. Garrison, author of "The Hidden Story of
Scientology" and "Playing Dirty: The Secret War Against Beliefs" - 100%
GO puff pieces and utterly lacking in any sort of journalistic
integrity. The latter is particularly egregious, since it parrots the
GO's preposterous line that Mary Sue Hubbard et al were being tried
unfairly because all they had done was "steal Xerox paper". Garrison
later bit the hand that fed him by working on a critical biography of
Hubbard with Gerry Armstrong, but was bought off with a fat settlement
and a gagging clause.

Garrison was a competent writer but his prostitution for Scientology
ruins any credibility he might once have had, in my opinion. Not that
he probably had much in the first place. His entry in the Library of
Congress catalogue gives some indication of his oeuvre:

1964 - Tantra: the yoga of sex
[reprinted 1972]

1967 - Spy government; the emerging police state in America

1969 - How to buy a house
[with Byron Moger and Martin Burke]

1970 - Dictocrats' attack on health foods and vitamins
- Dictocrats; our unelected rulers
- Howard Hughes in Las Vegas

1971 - Medical astrology; how the stars influence your health

1974 - Hidden story of scientology

1976 - Secret world of Interpol
[this may be a GO puff as well, but I don't know since I've
never seen it]

1978 - Encyclopedia of prophecy

1980 - Playing dirty : the secret war against beliefs

Raptavio

May 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/28/00
In article <v1tIbNA5...@lutefisk.demon.co.uk>,

Thanks for the info. Nice black PR at the end there.

Tilman Hausherr

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
>1980 - Playing dirty : the secret war against beliefs

That's also a scientology book, IIRC.

--
Tilman Hausherr [KoX, SP5] Entheta * Enturbulation * Entertainment
til...@berlin.snafu.de http://www.xenu.de

Resistance is futile. You will be enturbulated. Xenu always prevails.

Find broken links on your web site: http://www.snafu.de/~tilman/xenulink.html
The Xenu bookstore: http://www.snafu.de/~tilman/bookstore.html