Fraud, Tax Evasion and the Co$ on British TV

John Ritson

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

The ITV programme 'The Big Story' had another peak-hour expose of
Scientology and its methods on Thursday 28 Nov. The programme-makers
(who produced the hidden-camera expose 'Inside the Cult' last year) were
contacted by former scientologists who described the money-grubbing
monster that is the Co$.
The Co$ advertisement that is now legal to show in the UK as the ITC
have classed the criminal cult as a 'real' religion was used as a
repeated theme (the one where smiling faces repeat 'Trust' over and over
again) as events were described that contradict the very idea of trust.

"We lied to banks, people obtained loans under false pretences. It was
whatever we could do to raise money." said Andrea Catt who was registrar
at the Bournemouth mission 1988-95. "People were persuaded to re-
mortgage their homes, sell their homes, cash in the policies supposed to
pay off their mortgages, borrow against pensions, sell family jewels,
borrow from their families, sell their cars. Anything you can possibly
imagine that a person could do to raise money, people were persuded to
pay into Scientology. If a person filled a loan form in saying the money
was for Scientology, they'd get as very negative response so people were
encouraged to say that the money was for a management training course, a
computer, a car, a boat. Sometimes we'd fill it in for them. Then they'd
sign it and it would be submitted to the bank on a completely false
basis." The 'Church' keeps supplies of loan application forms
conveniently at hand for such occasions. The bank found out in one case,
and Ms. Catt was made the scapegoat and dismissed, but soon re-instated
where she went on to win an award 'The Gross Income Cup'.
She described how at Thurday meetings members were targeted 'There would
be some people - maybe their mother had just died and they were very
depressed or their girlfriend had just left them - these would be prime,
prime targets.'. The process known as 'finding the ruin' was explained,
and victims told of being pressured to tell their most intimate secrets,
later to be used as blackmail against them.

The events that drove a 24-year-old to jump off the Clifton Bridge after
only half-a year in Scientology were described. The 'Purification
Rundown', the borrowing to pay for courses, the endless letters and
phone calls from Scientologists. Mike Rinder appeared giving the usual
Scientology damage-limitation line about Scientology not being
responsible just because someone 'had some involvement with Scientology
in the past'. This was rather contradicted by the letters written to the
victim by Scientologist Tony Clark even after the suicide. 10 British
recruits have committed suicide in the last twelve years.

The British hands-off approach was contrasted to that in Europe. The
French trial result was reported (including the judge's comment that
'Amassing money is one of the essential concerns, if not the only
concern of the Church of Scientology') as was the German policy, and the
Spanish prosecution of Heber Jentzsch and others for tax evasion and
inducement to suicide.
And Mike Rinder? He compared the trials to the crucification of
Christ...
That old R6 implant still active?

The really dangerous stuff for the cult came from another ex-
Scientologist from Bournemouth, Roger Tuffin, treasury secretary from
1991. "Nobody knew where the money came from. So receipts were made up
to account for that money... completely bogus receipts". The
Scientologists were evading Value Added Tax by describing money paid for
courses (incidentally the only glaring error in the programme was
underestimating the cost of 'the Bridge' by a factor of ten) as
'donations'. He was posted to the 'Freewinds' as director of
communications and estimates their revenues as half-a-million dollars
per week.

Falsifying accounting documents is a serious crime in the UK and as for
those 'gnarly OT powers', they are as nothing to the 'VAT powers' of
Customs and Excise. An Englishman's home is not his castle where they
are concerned, not even Saint Hill. Interestingly, in Tuesday's Budget
Statement, the Chancellor of the Exchequer changed policy from the usual
'public spending automatically bad' to 'Spend to Save' and is proposing
to pay for some of his pre-election tax cuts by spending money on a
massive clampdown on tax evasion.
VAT at 17.5 percent on all course revenues? Backdated? With fines for
deliberate evasion? Or will they pay back anyone who feels that their
payment was not really a donation, and provide courses for genuine
donations in future?

John *** "Make Money, Make More Money, Make others produce so as to Make More
Money" L. Ron Hubbard***

Zane Thomas

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

John,

The train-wreck in slow motion rolls on.

Zane

Jens Tingleff

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

In article <uveFaDAC...@jritson.demon.co.uk>, John Ritson
<jo...@jritson.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> The ITV programme 'The Big Story' had another peak-hour expose of
> Scientology and its methods on Thursday 28 Nov. The programme-makers
> (who produced the hidden-camera expose 'Inside the Cult' last year) were
> contacted by former scientologists who described the money-grubbing
> monster that is the Co$.

Jolly good show!

> Falsifying accounting documents is a serious crime in the UK and as for
> those 'gnarly OT powers', they are as nothing to the 'VAT powers' of
> Customs and Excise. An Englishman's home is not his castle where they
> are concerned, not even Saint Hill.

He he heeh!

Lets see them wiggle ouy of that one! I truest the programme (or future
coverage) highlighted the fact that the clams want to be a charity. The
evidence from former members about falsifying financial papers should go
down reeeal well with the relevant

Maybe the clams can even be provoked into slamming a libel suit on the TV
programme, thus getting all the evidence dragged into court.

Jens

------ No PGP signature, no authenticity. Vive La France!! ---------
http://www.imaginet.fr/~jensting/. Scientology[tm]?? Check it out at
http://www.cybercom.net/~rnewman/scientology/home.html *and*
http://www.scientology.org/. Report to alt.religion.scientology ;-)

Jens Tingleff

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

st...@swhitlat.com

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Thanks for this great news post. Please post more of the same!

--
Honesty cures scientology.

Dick Cleek

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Martin Poulter wrote:
<snip>

> What especially caught my eye was this:

> > 10 British
> >recruits have committed suicide in the last twelve years.
> When contemplating that allegation, bear in mind the following:
>
> 1) There are only a few thousand Scientologists in the UK.
<snip>

> Anybody know the base rate for suicides or suicide attempts?

Oregon's suicide rate in the 1980's through the early '90s was between
14.5 and 16.7 suicides per 100,000 population.

_______________
Dick Cleek

ll

Deirdre

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

This kind of stuff didn't happen just in the UK.

In the US:

1) The orgs wouldn't tell American Express that they were a "Church,"
because Amex didn't allow churches to be merchant accounts. Ergo, they
were representing that they were NOT a church so they could sign up to
take Amex. Why care so much about Amex? Because you can charge incredibly
large amounts on Amex cards. One parishioner, for example, filed for
bankruptcy with over 50k outstanding on his Amex card. Amex, of course,
had to cover this.

2) Some orgs and missions had set ups with finance companies where anyone
sent was "approved" for a small loan. This would get people started
(hooked) so they'd have more incentive to look on their own. One such scam
blew up and OSA had to buy out all the notes because the people who signed
up were not financially qualified to borrow money from other institutions.

_Deirdre

<jo...@jritson.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> "We lied to banks, people obtained loans under false pretences. It was
> whatever we could do to raise money." said Andrea Catt who was registrar
> at the Bournemouth mission 1988-95. "People were persuaded to re-
> mortgage their homes, sell their homes, cash in the policies supposed to
> pay off their mortgages, borrow against pensions, sell family jewels,
> borrow from their families, sell their cars. Anything you can possibly
> imagine that a person could do to raise money, people were persuded to
> pay into Scientology. If a person filled a loan form in saying the money
> was for Scientology, they'd get as very negative response so people were
> encouraged to say that the money was for a management training course, a
> computer, a car, a boat. Sometimes we'd fill it in for them. Then they'd
> sign it and it would be submitted to the bank on a completely false
> basis." The 'Church' keeps supplies of loan application forms
> conveniently at hand for such occasions. The bank found out in one case,
> and Ms. Catt was made the scapegoat and dismissed, but soon re-instated
> where she went on to win an award 'The Gross Income Cup'.

--
http://www.sover.net/~deirdre

Martin Poulter

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96
>The ITV programme 'The Big Story' had another peak-hour expose of
>Scientology and its methods on Thursday 28 Nov. The programme-makers
>(who produced the hidden-camera expose 'Inside the Cult' last year) were
>contacted by former scientologists who described the money-grubbing
>monster that is the Co$.

>The Co$ advertisement that is now legal to show in the UK as the ITC
>have classed the criminal cult as a 'real' religion was used as a
>repeated theme (the one where smiling faces repeat 'Trust' over and over
>again) as events were described that contradict the very idea of trust.

I was just waiting for someone in TV to use this motif. Combined with the
facts about Scientology, this makes for great television.

I've snipped most of John's post, but it's essential reading. Not only
have the Big Story people warned millions of ordinary people about the
dangers of Scientology, they have dug up evidence of crime which may even
(who knows?) lead to overdue criminal charges against this disgusting
organisation.

What especially caught my eye was this:
> 10 British
>recruits have committed suicide in the last twelve years.

When contemplating that allegation, bear in mind the following:

1) There are only a few thousand Scientologists in the UK.

2) There's a popular misconception that all cults recruit mainly young
people, who are the people most likely to commit suicide anyway. However,
Scientology does not focus its recruitment on young people- they'll take
practially anyone who can pay up and is sufficiently obedient.

3) The Big Story know they'll be taken to court about this, hence they
will only quote a figure that they are positive they can back up if
challenged. People for whom there is inadequate paperwork won't be
included. Hence we can be pretty sure that 10 suicides is an underestimate.

3) For each person that succeeds in committing suicide, many attempt it.
Affidavits like Andre Tabayoyons speak of "baby-watching"- keeping someone
under constant watch when they have had a psychotic break. This would
decrease the success rate of suicide attempts. This means that for each
suicide, there are many going into a psychotic or suicidal state of mind.

Now, Scientology does not recruit people with real mental problems, but it
looks like there have been plenty of Scientologists who have been driven
to suicidal thoughts.

Anybody know the base rate for suicides or suicide attempts?

--
MARTIN L: Postgrad., amateur crackpotologist and caffeine-free celibate bon M
POULTER : viveur studying the Philosophy of Belief at Bristol Uni., England c

Message has been deleted

Dave Bird---St Hippo of Augustine

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

In article <32a0c0e0...@pubnews.demon.co.uk>, Grady Ward
<gr...@tidepool.com> writes
>On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 23:58:58 +0000, John Ritson

><jo...@jritson.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>The ITV programme 'The Big Story' had another peak-hour expose of
>>Scientology and its methods on Thursday 28 Nov. The programme-makers
>>(who produced the hidden-camera expose 'Inside the Cult' last year) were
>>contacted by former scient
>
>If I can get a NTSC encoded tape of this story,
\
Never Twice the Same Colour?

I've thought of sending videotapes abroad before, but either sender
or reciever has to get the format converted.

####_ @@@@@@@ (!)
-- /__/ \ DON'T GET SCREWED by R-S-A-Ci @@/__/ _ \ /
|__| ((((((((() @@@ |__|{_}|
\__\__/ \__\___/
/ \ Da...@xemu.demon.co.uk / \
+--+ : .---' :
' L :.
http://www.xemu.demon.co.uk/censor/index.html#StrawPoll
Have *Y*O*U* voted yet on whether we want ratings ???
~~~~~~~

William Barwell

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

In article <uveFaDAC...@jritson.demon.co.uk>,

John Ritson <jo...@jritson.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>The ITV programme 'The Big Story' had another peak-hour expose of
>Scientology and its methods on Thursday 28 Nov. The programme-makers
>(who produced the hidden-camera expose 'Inside the Cult' last year) were
>contacted by former scientologists who described the money-grubbing
>monster that is the Co$.

Cool. I wish we could have some hard hitting TV like this stateside.
I hope the VAT thing gets investgated.

Pope Charles
SubGenius Pope Of Houston
Slack!

Ted Mayett (KoX)

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996 13:32:49 +0000, Dave Bird---St Hippo of Augustine
<da...@xemu.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <32a0c0e0...@pubnews.demon.co.uk>, Grady Ward
><gr...@tidepool.com> writes

>>On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 23:58:58 +0000, John Ritson

>><jo...@jritson.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>The ITV programme 'The Big Story' had another peak-hour expose of
>>>Scientology and its methods on Thursday 28 Nov. The programme-makers
>>>(who produced the hidden-camera expose 'Inside the Cult' last year) were

>>>contacted by former scient
>>
>>If I can get a NTSC encoded tape of this story,
> \
> Never Twice the Same Colour?
>
>I've thought of sending videotapes abroad before, but either sender
>or reciever has to get the format converted.

Tony McClelland had sent me the Big Story last year.
The conversion costs and tape costs were right around ten dollars per
tape. I had sent out about 12 copies to different critics.

Permission was received from BBC to make copies as long as they were
not sold commercially. As long as no profit was made from them.

I'd be willing to do that again with this newest tape. And again, I
would go to a professional shop to have the tapes made.

Considering price increases I would guess that the tapes could be sent
out from here at around $15.00 each. Total cost.

I'd like a copy of the tape. Any other US critics liking a copy
should e-mail me. I can get the whole thing orchestrated.

I was new on the NG when I did this last time.
I was actually arguing with people who wanted to send me the money
before they had received the tape. I won the arguments and did not
give out the price until I sent the tape itself.
Which means I laid out all of the initial money.
_Everybody_ paid me back, and promptly.

This came as no surprise.

---
Ted Mayett te...@skylink.net
This link is a good starting point:
http://home.pacific.net.sg/~marina/misc/arshtml.htm
Next Picket Dec 7-8 1996, for information:
http://www.primenet.com/~cultxpt/demo.htm

Jens Tingleff

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

In article <U652ZjAB...@xemu.demon.co.uk>, Dave Bird---St Hippo of
Augustine <da...@xemu.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <32a0c0e0...@pubnews.demon.co.uk>, Grady Ward
> <gr...@tidepool.com> writes
> >On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 23:58:58 +0000, John Ritson
> ><jo...@jritson.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >If I can get a NTSC encoded tape of this story,
> \
> Never Twice the Same Colour?

Right, and

PAL == Picture Always Lousy

SECAM == Such An Enormously Catastrophical Method

This makes video techies laugh every time - go figure

Anti Cult

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

From: 1st Canine Chapel of Bob Dobbs Dog (Church of the SubGenius).
Wrote on the subject: Re: Fraud, Tax Evasion and the Co$ on British
TV:

>In article <32a0c0e0...@pubnews.demon.co.uk>, Grady Ward
><gr...@tidepool.com> writes
>>On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 23:58:58 +0000, John Ritson
>><jo...@jritson.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>The ITV programme 'The Big Story' had another peak-hour expose of
>>>Scientology and its methods on Thursday 28 Nov. The programme-makers
>>>(who produced the hidden-camera expose 'Inside the Cult' last year) were
>>>contacted by former scient
>>

>>If I can get a NTSC encoded tape of this story,
> \
> Never Twice the Same Colour?
>

>I've thought of sending videotapes abroad before, but either sender
>or reciever has to get the format converted.

Many modern VCR's have a switch where you can switch between Pal/Secam
and NTSC. Look at your own, maybe yours have the switch.

(Anti Cult) http://www.users.wineasy.se/zerpe/index.htm
Search terms: OT, Hubbard, NOTS, Secret, Xenu, Xemu.
Victimized by the Co$."Deadfiled" in at least one Org.Seen too
much,heard to much,lived too much. Security Coded hard disks
too much. Have been reading NOTS too much. Having chronic
pneumonia. As Arnold said: I'll be back.......
~ One drop of drops in the river of life ~
~ Has not the power to float by itself ~
~ But there's this demand on every drop: ~
~ Help keep the other ones up ~

Steve A

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

On 30 Nov 1996 20:55:19 -0600, wbar...@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (William
Barwell) wrote:

> In article <uveFaDAC...@jritson.demon.co.uk>,

> John Ritson <jo...@jritson.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >The ITV programme 'The Big Story' had another peak-hour expose of
> >Scientology and its methods on Thursday 28 Nov. The programme-makers
> >(who produced the hidden-camera expose 'Inside the Cult' last year) were

> >contacted by former scientologists who described the money-grubbing
> >monster that is the Co$.
>

> Cool. I wish we could have some hard hitting TV like this stateside.
> I hope the VAT thing gets investgated.

Her Majesty's Customs & Excise, who collect VAT, amongst other things,
are the snarling rabid Dobermanns of British revenue-collecting
authorities. Where other agencies are very restricted as to how, why
and when they may raid you, and have to do it with police cooperation,
Customs & Excise have almost plenipotentiary powers to break down
doors, raid premises and arrest individuals. Naturally, they are
accountable for their actions, but if you're going to piss off one tax
collector, pray that it isn't one of HM's Customs men.

I believe that they are also bound to follow up any allegations of
fraud, so if Mr Murghnahan has done his job properly, and passed
copies of his evidence to HMC&E, then you can be sure that
investigations are already underway.

Fines and penalties for deliberate VAT evasion are _severe_.

You could, conceivably, be looking at the end of the cult in the UK,
with any luck.

--
Steve A, SP4, GGBC, KBM, Unsalvageable PTS/SP #12
ObDenial: I am not Arthur Stevens of Crawley.

Child molesters! Join Scientology and grope with impunity! Why?

Donald Strawn raped a 13 year old girl, and attempted to rape
her 12 year old sister. The "Church" of Scientology in Clear-
water attempted to blackmail the girls' mother into silence.

Xenu's Sister

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

I loved hearing about the details of this TV show, as I
do whenever the press anywhere GetsAndGivesAClue. Thanks
to all who posts about this kind of coverage!

Off topic:

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Anti Cult wrote:

> Many modern VCR's have a switch where you can switch between Pal/Secam
> and NTSC. Look at your own, maybe yours have the switch.

Those kinds of VCRs are not the norm in the US (probably not
in Canada either). We have 2 PAL machines, and you have to
get them at specific places. It's easy in the big cities,
with large ethnic areas that have their own electronic stores.

In Chicago, a drive down Devon between Clark and Kimball
will reveal literally *dozens* of electronic shops that
all sell PAL/SECAM/NTSC VCRs, along with videos from
all over the world, especially India. You'd never find a
multi-standard VCR in Circuit City, Best Buy or any of the
other big, nationwide electronic store chains though.

Beyond the big urban areas, you'd almost always have to
special order them, unless there's a dealer in town who
might have one stuck away on a back shelf on the storeroom.

Out of all the people in the US who have VCRs, I'd take
a guess that 95% (or more) of them have never heard of
"PAL" or "SECAM" or even "NTSC" since it's not something
the average person has ever had to deal with. To them,
"multi-standard" would probably conjure up something
to do with recording speeds, or maybe Beta vs. VHS. :-)

I'm not being mean, it's just really not an issue here
unless something happens to make it an issue, like a
relative or friend overseas sending videotapes, or
tapes bought overseas brought back and then found not
to work, or people like us, who actively seek tapes from
other countries because of our hobbies. (Music and feature
films in PAL Widescreen, in our case.)

Vickie