Google Группы больше не поддерживают новые публикации и подписки в сети Usenet. Опубликованный ранее контент останется доступен.

Well, THAT was strange...!

2 просмотра

barbz

не прочитано,
9 сент. 2006 г., 19:36:5709.09.2006
Just got off the phone with a guy named Norm. He wanted to argue about
the efficacy of Narconon, but couldn't differentiate between anecdotal
evidence and the other stuff that has like documentation behind it.

What fun, arguing with people who *know* they're right...sheesh!
--
"I'm for the separation of church and hate."

Barb
Chaplain, ARSCC(wdne)
xenu...@netscape.net

mac...@gmail.com

не прочитано,
9 сент. 2006 г., 19:54:0009.09.2006

It's always worth a laugh when people say things like "It worked for
me" or "Other people have had good results" Like ear candles. I hear
great things about ear candles. Do they work? NO! Where's the double
blind studies...etc. about sitting in a sauna with enough niacin to
kill a large land mammal effectiveness of drug rehabilitation?

ohh that's right, there is none. Scientology relies on nothing more
then testimonials. Testimonials are the SUPREME example of anecdotal
evidence.

runningwild

не прочитано,
9 сент. 2006 г., 20:13:4209.09.2006

You find that "fun". I find it exhausting. ;-) That sort of anecdotal
evidence, I am assuming that was the main evidence his argument, can be
a good place to start a scientific investigation into something (Hey!
We notice that quite a few people who drink out of that well come down
with cholera) but it's when the anecdotes get treated as the end of the
result that is maddening. (There must be demons in the well! The priest
says so!)

banchukita

не прочитано,
9 сент. 2006 г., 20:18:1909.09.2006

Especially when the 'testimonial' is a *requirement* for your 'win.'

-maggie, human being

barbz

не прочитано,
9 сент. 2006 г., 20:19:2309.09.2006
barbz wrote:
> Just got off the phone with a guy named Norm. He wanted to argue about
> the efficacy of Narconon, but couldn't differentiate between anecdotal
> evidence and the other stuff that has like documentation behind it.
>
> What fun, arguing with people who *know* they're right...sheesh!

The phone call came from:
Captain Nutrition
207 Drake Ave
NEW ROCHELLE, NY 10805

For some reason, the caller Norm was perfectly willing to accept
anecdotal "evidence," yet very unwilling to consider documented evidence
from studies. Like the study on overdoses of niacin.

Must be a slow day down at the old vitamin store!

barbz

не прочитано,
9 сент. 2006 г., 20:21:1609.09.2006

As a matter of fact, 'Norm' said just that, it worked for him. I asked
him how he could be sure he was detoxified, and he copped a 'tude.
I should have suggested that "because they told me I was" isn't really
an answer.

barbz

не прочитано,
9 сент. 2006 г., 20:22:0609.09.2006

Well, heh. Whaddaya want from Captain Vitamin? lol...

banchukita

не прочитано,
9 сент. 2006 г., 20:29:5409.09.2006

barbz wrote:
> barbz wrote:
> > Just got off the phone with a guy named Norm. He wanted to argue about
> > the efficacy of Narconon, but couldn't differentiate between anecdotal
> > evidence and the other stuff that has like documentation behind it.
> >
> > What fun, arguing with people who *know* they're right...sheesh!
>
> The phone call came from:
> Captain Nutrition
> 207 Drake Ave
> NEW ROCHELLE, NY 10805
>
> For some reason, the caller Norm was perfectly willing to accept
> anecdotal "evidence," yet very unwilling to consider documented evidence
> from studies. Like the study on overdoses of niacin.
>
> Must be a slow day down at the old vitamin store!

F'real? Captain Norm Nutrition?

And his trusty sidekick, CalMag the Boy Wonder with the power of
Niacin?

-maggie, human being

barbz

не прочитано,
9 сент. 2006 г., 22:26:1209.09.2006
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Oh, my, that was too, too funny!

Xenu-Slave

не прочитано,
10 сент. 2006 г., 00:10:5010.09.2006
mac...@gmail.com wrote:
> It's always worth a laugh when people say things like "It worked for
> me" or "Other people have had good results" Like ear candles. I hear
> great things about ear candles. Do they work? NO! Where's the double
> blind studies...etc. about sitting in a sauna with enough niacin to
> kill a large land mammal effectiveness of drug rehabilitation?

Off Topic, but I was at the hospital once and there was a kid in the
waiting room with me who had candle wax in his ear from using an ear
candle. He still think they worked and believed in them though, just
thought that he did them wrong because he bought one of the home use
ones instead of going to a new age healer to do it for him.
Anyway I google'd them when I got home and found a website that tested
them. The site found out that if you burn an ear candle outside an ear,
it produces a gross orangey earwaxy goo at the bottom to make you think
the candle worked and removed your earwax. Such bullshit.

0 новых сообщений