Booklet sent to Winnipeg Mayor's office insinuates politician endorses Scientology

PR MACHINE

Oct 31, 2007, 11:43:11 AM10/31/07
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=5ba291c3-d797-4ef6-b021-465df15be868

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A religious booklet sent to his office makes it seem that Winnipeg Mayor
Sam Katz officially endorses the musings of Scientology founder L. Ron
Hubbard. Mayor Katz's image and the official City of Winnipeg logo
appear on the back cover of the 68-page booklet, which implores readers
to observe life lessons such as "do not take alcohol to excess," "don't
be promiscuous," "preserve your teeth" and "don't do anything illegal."

The booklet, called The Way to Happiness, purports to be "presented by
Sam Katz, mayor" and even includes Mayor Katz's 2006 re-election slogan,
"Our City, Our Future" above a bogus letter laden with his slogans such
as a "climate of opportunity." But Winnipeg's Mayor, pictured, and the
city have nothing to do with the publication, 20 copies of which were
sent to Mayor Katz's office as part of an international effort to get
political leaders to promote writings by the late Mr. Hubbard."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/story/4067336p-4669828c.html
Katz finds religion... or vice versa

Tue Oct 30 2007

IN a booklet called The Way To Happiness, it appears as if Winnipeg
Mayor Sam Katz officially endorses the musings of Scientology founder L.
Ron Hubbard.

Katz's image and the official City of Winnipeg logo appear on the back
cover of the 68-page booklet, which implores readers to observe life
lessons such as "do not take alcohol to excess," "don't be promiscuous,"
"preserve your teeth" and "don't do anything illegal."

The booklet purports to be "presented by Sam Katz, mayor" and even
includes Katz's 2006 re-election slogan, "our city, our future" above a
bogus letter laden with Katz slogans such as a "climate of opportunity."
But Winnipeg's mayor and the city have nothing to do with the
publication, 20 copies of which were sent to Katz's office as part of an
international effort to get political leaders to promote writings by the
late Hubbard.

In the United States, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom and Dallas Mayor
Tom Leppert reacted angrily to the use of their images, according to the
San Francisco Chronicle.

San Francisco's city attorney even fired off a cease-and-desist letter
to The Way To Happiness Foundation International, a California-based
organization that printed the pamphlets, the Chronicle reported.
Winnipeg's mayor, however, is shrugging off the stunt. "They certainly
did a lot of research, but we're not angry. We have other priorities,"
said Brad Salyn, Katz's director of communications.

"This is obviously a sample sent to our office and it was not approved
or paid for by our office... If material was being distributed on our
behalf with a false endorsement, it would be a different story."

To Salyn's knowledge, no copies of the booklet were sent anywhere in
Winnipeg besides the mayor's office. The booklet bears an aerial view of
The Forks and St. Boniface on the front cover, but has a reference to a
photo of "Capetown skyline" on the back, suggesting the South African
city was also targeted by the campaign.

Lance Miller, president of The Way To Happiness Foundation
International, said sample booklets were sent to political and business
leaders across North America, but he could not recall how many packages
were sent.

"Books are sent out as a sample to the mayors," he said, claiming he has
received a positive response from several cities, which he declined to
name.

"We're interested in turning lives around. We offer solutions to
problems," he said, claiming the situation with San Francisco's mayor
was "just a misunderstanding."

In a earlier interview with the San Francisco Chronicle, Miller said the
writings in the booklet are independent of L. Ron Hubbard's religious
teachings, but can be found in Scientology churches.

The Way To Happiness, subtitled A Common Sense Guide To Better Living,
contains 21 commandments, all penned by Hubbard before his death.
Commandment No. 3 -- "Don't be promiscuous" -- blames the disappearance
of Buddhism from India on the sexual impropriety of priests and states
that when sex is "misused or abused, it carries with it heavy penalties
and punishments: nature seems to have intended it that way also."

Commandment No. 9 -- "Don't do anything illegal" -- declares that "the
state and government tends to be a rather unthinking machine."

According to the foundation's website, The Way to Happiness is "the
first moral code based wholly on common sense" and is designed "to
arrest the current moral decline in society and restore integrity and
trust to Man."

Mayor Katz home page:
http://www.samkatz.ca/

PR MACHINE

Ben Casey TV show intro chart of life:
http://www.indepthinfo.com/articles/images/man-woman-birth-death-infinity.jpg
symbols snip>

Man
Woman
Birth
Death
Infinity
PR

//

Hartley Patterson

Oct 31, 2007, 2:51:22 PM10/31/07
the_matrix@we_control_everything.int:

> A religious booklet sent to his office makes it seem that Winnipeg Mayor
> Sam Katz officially endorses the musings of Scientology founder L. Ron
> Hubbard.

So now we are getting to the facts on this footbullet. It seems to have
been intended as an international campaign to generate endorsements by
local government officials, the journalist has spotted that. So what went
wrong?

The sample copies include an endorsement by Mr Mayor or his equivalent
written for him by the cult. The TWTH team have been producing 'limited
edition' runs of TWTH for a while now:

http://www.twth.org/customizedcovers/

IIRC the LAPD had one. This is an extension of that scheme.

I suspect no Senior Staff thought to say a letter of explanation should be
in the parcel. But this is a totalitarian organisation, anything not
Ordered is Forbidden, so they were just mailed out.

--
Hartley Patterson
http://www.newsfrombree.co.uk

Piltdown Man

Nov 1, 2007, 11:15:56 AM11/1/07

Hartley Patterson <hpt...@daisy.freeserve.co.uk> wrote...

<snip>

> So now we are getting to the facts on this footbullet. It seems to have
> been intended as an international campaign to generate endorsements by
> local government officials, the journalist has spotted that. So what
> went wrong?

It is a puzzle, isn't it? How could a bunch of such superior beings once
again screw up so royally?

> I suspect no Senior Staff thought to say a letter of explanation should
> be in the parcel. But this is a totalitarian organisation, anything not
> Ordered is Forbidden, so they were just mailed out.

Given the wide spread of places where they've tried this (we've heard of
mayors in the US, Canada and, bizarrely, Belgium so far), I wonder how many
more mayoral offices have received these things, where the person opening
the mail took a brief look at them, shrugged his shoulders and thought
"appears mental", and classified them vertically.