Sunday Telegraph (Sydney) (Jan. 4, 2010): "Letters / Church probe false"

2 views
Skip to first unread message

rhill

unread,
Jan 4, 2010, 7:36:01 AM1/4/10
to
Not seen online so far.

p. 36

/=====
Church probe false

I AM writing in relation to the article "Scientologists probe" (ST,
27/12), which quoted ex-members of the Church of Scientology.

It is an absolute fabrication designed to make sensationalist copy in a
slow media period.

The story ran with a single comment from the church and without any
verification of the serious imputations made, which is hardly balanced
reporting.

The media should not be used to conduct a witch hunt for a few former
members to forward demonstrably false allegations.

The Church of Scientology is a world-wide religion comprising more than
8000 churches, missions and affiliated groups, made up of millions of
members in 165 countries around the world.

It is a globally recognised supporter of some of the most successful
social-betterment programs on Earth, addressing societal ills such as
drug abuse, illiteracy, human rights and intolerance.

The church�s more than 200,000 volunteer ministers are an active force
in disaster relief efforts world-wide.

CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY, Dundas
\=====

What? The Church of Scientology is not the subject of a probe in Australia?

rhill

unread,
Jan 4, 2010, 7:41:58 AM1/4/10
to
Of course, I meant Jan *3*, 2010.

Android Cat

unread,
Jan 4, 2010, 7:59:41 AM1/4/10
to

"rhill" <rh...@raymondhill.net> wrote in message
news:hhsnmm$ale$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

> Of course, I meant Jan *3*, 2010.
>
> rhill wrote:
>> Not seen online so far.
>>
>> p. 36
>>
>> /=====
>> Church probe false
>>
>> I AM writing in relation to the article "Scientologists probe" (ST,
>> 27/12), which quoted ex-members of the Church of Scientology.
>>
>> It is an absolute fabrication designed to make sensationalist copy in a
>> slow media period.
>>
>> The story ran with a single comment from the church and without any
>> verification of the serious imputations made, which is hardly balanced
>> reporting.
>>
>> The media should not be used to conduct a witch hunt for a few former
>> members to forward demonstrably false allegations.
>>
>> The Church of Scientology is a world-wide religion comprising more than
>> 8000 churches, missions and affiliated groups, made up of millions of
>> members in 165 countries around the world.

That "groups" number just keeps on expanding!

>> It is a globally recognised supporter of some of the most successful
>> social-betterment programs on Earth, addressing societal ills such as
>> drug abuse, illiteracy, human rights and intolerance.
>>

>> The church�s more than 200,000 volunteer ministers are an active force in
>> disaster relief efforts world-wide.

And that number has also long since passed from an inflated claim to a
hilarious one.

>> CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY, Dundas
>> \=====
>>
>> What? The Church of Scientology is not the subject of a probe in
>> Australia?

Has there been anything definite yet on the police probe?

--
Ron of that ilk.

rhill

unread,
Jan 4, 2010, 9:37:45 AM1/4/10
to
>>> The church�s more than 200,000 volunteer ministers are an active
>>> force in disaster relief efforts world-wide.
>
> And that number has also long since passed from an inflated claim to a
> hilarious one.
>
>>> CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY, Dundas
>>> \=====
>>>
>>> What? The Church of Scientology is not the subject of a probe in
>>> Australia?
>
> Has there been anything definite yet on the police probe?
>

Notice how no one specific signed the letter. What to make of this...
Too many defection that it's more convenient to not attach the name of
someone who might just be gone next week? Who knows.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages