Why are there locks in mormon temples?

John Stone

Jul 7, 2001, 11:41:25 PM7/7/01
Don't you think it is weird that mormons put locks on the lockers in the
temples?

Hey, if you can't trust a temple-recommend mormon, who can you trust????

For that matter why are there locks on the interior doors?

Rhonda

Jul 8, 2001, 12:45:18 AM7/8/01
perhaps it's because some people lie during their temple interview and are
not really worthy to be in the temple

"John Stone" <johnd...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

John Stone

Jul 8, 2001, 4:46:50 AM7/8/01
Would such person escape the bishopric and stake president's "prophetic"
insights? No way!

After the bishopric and stake presidency are all chosen by the power of God
in the name of jezuz -- they are not mere men, but direct representatives of
jezuz and he would not let the church go astray by letting unfit mormons
into the temple--would he???

If you believe the mormon priesthood line crap, I have an ocean front lot in
Oklahoma to sell you cheap.

--

"Rhonda" <rho...@do.not.mail.here> wrote in message

R. L. Measures

Jul 8, 2001, 2:17:49 PM7/8/01
In article <_5V17.387$tJ3....@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "John
Stone" <johnd...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Would such person escape the bishopric and stake president's "prophetic"
> insights? No way!
>
> After the bishopric and stake presidency are all chosen by the power of God

> in the name of jezuz --... ...

/\ The correct term is "GEEEeeeeSUS".

cheers

--
- Rich... 805.386.3734.
www.vcnet.com/measures

David Brownell

Jul 8, 2001, 10:39:01 PM7/8/01
In article <_5V17.387$tJ3....@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "John
Stone" <johnd...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Would such person escape the bishopric and stake president's "prophetic"
> insights? No way!
> After the bishopric and stake presidency are all chosen by the power of
> God in the name of jezuz -- they are not mere men, but direct
> representatives of jezuz and he would not let the church go astray by
> letting unfit mormons into the temple--would he??? If you believe the
> mormon priesthood line crap, I have an ocean front lot in Oklahoma to
> sell you cheap.

I've heard that sometimes, yes, unworthy people "sneak by" their
interviews with Bishops and Stake Presidents. And the reason is so that
they can exercise their agency and bring, if they desire, condemnation
upon themselves...

David B.

Woody Brison

Jul 9, 2001, 2:57:15 AM7/9/01
"John Stone" <johnd...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<FDQ17.92$Iu2....@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

> Don't you think it is weird that mormons put locks on the lockers in the

If you think about it, the locker key serves a simple purpose:
being gone, it says "This locker's taken. Look for one that
has a key sitting in the lock." Instead of spending maybe two
minutes opening lockers, finding stuff in each one, closing
them again, maybe having something fall out, having to get
it back in the right locker, maybe accidently stepping on
somebody's glasses that fell out, maybe closing the locker
door on somebody's nice tie and cutting it on the latch, etc.
etc., I can just go right to the one that I know is available
because the key is sitting right there in the lock ready for
me. Sometimes in a rush, either arriving or departing, this
two minutes saved is no minor thing.

I bet lockers come standard with locks, but that special
lockers could be ordered with little "IN USE"/"AVAILABLE"
flippers instead of locks with keys, but I bet they would
cost more. If somebody has no business in your locker,
then them being locked out of it makes no diff to them does
it.

You can always just leave the key in the lock if you want to,
inviting one and all to look in and see your wallet there in
your pants pocket and all since no one in the Temple is going
to take it. Or can that be guaranteed?

The Church is not a museum of perfect people; it's more like a
hospital for imperfect people. Some of them, before becoming
members of the Church, had some nasty habits, this is no
perfect world. The Temple is a place where one can come and
be safe from the bad things in the world. In the Temple there
is peace. This world at present being what it is, sometimes
some odd permutations make for that peace. I trust that after
the Savior arrives, there will be far fewer locks and bolts
needed. But for now, it's probably nice for some people that
they can come into the Temple and be safe from certain
irritating little temptations.

In the Church, the usual way of doing things is to select
somebody with savvy to figure out what's best -- not just by
pure logic and worldly experience but thru revelation also --
and having that solution found, just write it down so the
next folks ordering lockers for the next Temple can just
follow the written directions and order lockers of a certain
type. Anytime you work on a question and come up with a
better answer, I think the leaders of the Church would be
delighted to hear your solution. Once I had a great idea
for a new Temple design. I wrote the Church Architect and
suggested it. He wrote back and explained why he didn't
think it would work. He'd obviously given it some thought.

Not sure what interior doors you're referring to, but I'm
guessing there are good reasons for whatever locks there,
if any. The Church is not this evil empire some imagine
it; it's a good bunch of folks, working to do right.

Wood

John Stone

Jul 9, 2001, 4:38:58 AM7/9/01
Thanks, I stand corrected!

--

"R. L. Measures" <2...@vc.net> wrote

> The correct term is "GEEEeeeeSUS".
>
> cheers

John Stone

Jul 9, 2001, 4:45:42 AM7/9/01
WOODY, ALL YOU NEED TO ANSWER YOUR POINT IS SIMPLY AN AIRLINE TOILET
"OCCUPIED" SLIDE ON THE DOOR!

Come on now, you can surely find a better excuse to cover from a potential
theft by a mormon temple-recommend holder that that--can't you???

Interior doors and just that--all doors on the interior of the temple --
from the cafeterias to the clothing sales and baptism fonts. Yeah, guess you
just can't trust a temple-recommend mormon!

Want me to post the endowment ceremony so you can see some of the covenants
that are taken in the temple? Now why would anyone making these covenants
want to steal fromanother mormon???

Ever heard of scriptures being stolen in the chapel??? I have, many times.
Many it was the heathens brought in by the missionaries--yeah! that's it!
--

"Woody Brison" <wwbr...@lds.net> wrote in message

Lee Paulson

Jul 9, 2001, 9:00:33 AM7/9/01

wwbr...@lds.net (Woody Brison) wrote:
>"John Stone" <johnd...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<FDQ17.92$Iu2....@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
>
>> Don't you think it is weird that mormons put locks on the lockers in the
>> temples?
>>
>> Hey, if you can't trust a temple-recommend mormon, who can you trust????
>>
>> For that matter why are there locks on the interior doors?
>
>If you think about it, the locker key serves a simple purpose:
>being gone, it says "This locker's taken. Look for one that
>has a key sitting in the lock." Instead of spending maybe two
>minutes opening lockers, finding stuff in each one, closing
>them again, maybe having something fall out, having to get
>it

snip

Although I don't believe the church is the Dark Empire, I
also don't believe the locks are there to tell people the
lockers are taken. If that were the reason, they could just
install cubbyholes, as we called them in elementary school.
That's what my employer's gym has. Very cheap, open faced, no
doors required.

Lee

Posted from NetWORLD Connections, Inc.

CommUnitarian

Jul 9, 2001, 9:13:40 AM7/9/01
In article <FDQ17.92$Iu2....@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "John Stone"
<johnd...@earthlink.net> writes:

Rumor has it that during some temple rituals, Mormon actors dress up as
Satan, and as a protestant minister. The locks are on the locker because there
is fear that these two guys will get too caught up in their roles.

Raleigh
He knows worthless men: when he sees iniquity, will he not consider it?
For a stupid man will get understanding when a wild ass's colt is born a man.
Job 11:11-12 RSV

Woody Brison

Jul 9, 2001, 10:30:49 AM7/9/01

"Lee Paulson" <lrpa...@xxearthlink.net> wrote:

>wwbr...@lds.net (Woody Brison) wrote:
>>"John Stone" <johnd...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<FDQ17.92$Iu2....@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
>>
>>> Don't you think it is weird that mormons put locks on the lockers in the
>>> temples?
>>>
>>> Hey, if you can't trust a temple-recommend mormon, who can you trust????
>>>
>>> For that matter why are there locks on the interior doors?
>>
>>If you think about it, the locker key serves a simple purpose:
>>being gone, it says "This locker's taken. Look for one that
>>has a key sitting in the lock." Instead of spending maybe two
>>minutes opening lockers, finding stuff in each one, closing
>>them again, maybe having something fall out, having to get
>>it
>
>snip
>
>Although I don't believe the church is the Dark Empire, I
>also don't believe the locks are there to tell people the
>lockers are taken. ...

Well, ma'am, having been there thousands of times, I can
bear solemn testimony that the keys do serve that exact
purpose, at least for me. When I see the key gone, I know
that the locker is in use. When the key is present, it's
available. That's the way the lock works, it cannot be
opened unless the key is in the lock. You not having been
there, what exactly are you basing your surmises on?

>...If that were the reason, they could just

>install cubbyholes, as we called them in elementary school.
>That's what my employer's gym has. Very cheap, open faced, no
>doors required.

The situation is different. Our lockers hold complete change
of clothing. Your elementary school kids don't leave their
underwear, etc. in those cubbies open to view, and there is
the little matter of the smell of sweaty socks, etc.

Is this really a matter of deep puzzlement for you? What is
wrong with the Church being allowed to decide what are the
best arrangements for it's own non-public matters?

Wood

Woody Brison

Jul 9, 2001, 10:33:13 AM7/9/01

John Stone wrote:

> WOODY, ALL YOU NEED TO ANSWER YOUR POINT IS SIMPLY AN AIRLINE TOILET
> "OCCUPIED" SLIDE ON THE DOOR!

How will you provide for the case where people forget to
slide the slide to the right position? The key in the lock
is more or less automatic.

You might also research the additional cost of special airline-
style 'occupied' slides, versus lockers with standard locks in
quantity. When you have done that, perhaps you will be in a
position to contribute something of value, rather than just
hysterics?

> Come on now, you can surely find a better excuse to cover from a potential
> theft by a mormon temple-recommend holder that that--can't you???

You want me to do what exactly?

> Interior doors and just that--all doors on the interior of the temple --
> from the cafeterias to the clothing sales and baptism fonts. Yeah, guess you
> just can't trust a temple-recommend mormon!

Are you objecting to the existence of doors inside the Temple?
Why?

> Want me to post the endowment ceremony so you can see some of the covenants
> that are taken in the temple?

If there is something that you hold sacred, I will try to respect
it, and I would expect the same from you. There is no need for
you to risk the judgements of God by publishing our sacred
ceremonies to the world, in flagrant violation of copyrights and
of the most elementary courtesy. There is sufficient information
about the Church outside the Temple to determine whether it's
claims are true or false, without anyone needing to pry into the
more sacred ceremonies, which won't give them any valid data anyway
because they are symbolic, and the symbolism will only be revealed
to those who go through the program in the regular way. John 10:1.

>...Now why would anyone making these covenants

> want to steal fromanother mormon???

Your threat to publish our sacred ceremony shows a very good
possible reason why there may be locks on certain interior
doors.

> Ever heard of scriptures being stolen in the chapel??? I have, many times.
> Many it was the heathens brought in by the missionaries--yeah! that's it!

So, you heard this, big deal. That's a long way from being a
real problem.

Lee Paulson

Jul 9, 2001, 10:40:12 AM7/9/01

Woody, it's not a matter of puzzlement to me at all. Your
response was the puzzlement. The church can decide whatever it
wants--they own the property.

I assume the reason the lockers have locks (and our gym has
full-length cubbyholes as well as the little square ones) is
to keep people from having their belongings stolen.

I don't see anything wrong with that, and I am surprised that
you do.

Lee

newguy

Jul 9, 2001, 1:06:52 PM7/9/01

Lee Paulson wrote in message <3b499ce1$1...@nntp.networld.com>...

Also, they could eliminate the walking patrol in the locker room. newguy

Bill Williams

Jul 9, 2001, 3:42:10 PM7/9/01

"CommUnitarian" <grale...@cs.comRLDS> wrote in message

> In article <FDQ17.92$Iu2....@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "John
Stone"
> <johnd...@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> >Don't you think it is weird that mormons put locks on the lockers in the
> >temples?
> >
> >Hey, if you can't trust a temple-recommend mormon, who can you trust????
> >
> >For that matter why are there locks on the interior doors?
> >

> Rumor has it that during some temple rituals, Mormon actors dress up as
> Satan, and as a protestant minister. The locks are on the locker because
there
> is fear that these two guys will get too caught up in their roles.

Then they can take the locks out. The Protestant minister thing was removed
from the temple ceremony, I believe in 1991.

Bill Williams

TheJordan6

Jul 9, 2001, 4:26:13 PM7/9/01
>From: grale...@cs.comRLDS (CommUnitarian)
>Date: 7/9/2001 9:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time

>In article <FDQ17.92$Iu2....@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "John
>Stone"
><johnd...@earthlink.net> writes:
>
>>Don't you think it is weird that mormons put locks on the lockers in the
>>temples?
>>
>>Hey, if you can't trust a temple-recommend mormon, who can you trust????
>>
>>For that matter why are there locks on the interior doors?
>>

> Rumor has it that during some temple rituals, Mormon actors dress up as
>Satan, and as a protestant minister. The locks are on the locker because
>there
>is fear that these two guys will get too caught up in their roles.
>
> Raleigh

Or, maybe someone's afraid that the two will accidentally put on the other's
costume, and the minister will be bossing Satan. Of course, that part of the
ceremony was deleted in 1990. One of the funniest things I ever read was the
account of a woman who went through the endowment ceremony in Nauvoo. She
recounted that when the guy playing Satan was rebuked by Peter and driven away,
Satan actually got down on his belly and crawled offstage like a snake. The
woman related with amusement that the same guy that played Satan passed the
sacrament the next Sunday in church.

Randy J.

Randy J.

newguy

Jul 9, 2001, 6:40:16 PM7/9/01

TheJordan6 wrote in message
<20010709162613...@ng-fo1.aol.com>...

Leaving church one Sunday with my wife, two cars had a slight collision in
the church parking lot. There was a lot of finger pointing and minor name
calling. I jerked upright though when I heard one call the other a bastard.
My wife told me later it was one of the counselors in the Elders Quorum that
was calling the Bishop a bastard. I sure hope they got it all worked out.
Just goes to show ya, that we all have out failings. You'd be surpised how
many times I've gotten the finger for driving only 60 mph on the freeway in
California. (Course, I'm not pure and innocent either.) newguy

J Stryker

Jul 9, 2001, 11:53:55 PM7/9/01
>Subject: Re: Why are there locks in mormon temples?
>From: "Woody Brison" wwbr...@lds.net
>Date: 7/9/2001 9:33 AM Central Daylight Time

> There is no need for
>you to risk the judgements of God by publishing our sacred
>ceremonies to the world, in flagrant violation of copyrights and
>of the most elementary courtesy.

Does God hold Copyrights?? I thought his commandment was to proclaim MY WORD
to every nation. And you say HE wants things hidden?

>There is sufficient information
>about the Church outside the Temple to determine whether it's
>claims are true or false, without anyone needing to pry into the
>more sacred ceremonies, which won't give them any valid data anyway
>because they are symbolic, and the symbolism will only be revealed
>to those who go through the program in the regular way. John 10:1.

OK, jump over the fence and your probably a thief, go through the gate your a
shepherd, I got it. But didn't Christ tell us to walk in the light, and you
are saying things need to be kept in the dark (in the Temple) where others
might see the truth of it/

>Your threat to publish our sacred ceremony shows a very good
>possible reason why there may be locks on certain interior
>doors.

IF, someone could realisticly threaten to publish the secret ceremonies and
such, he got the info from somewhere, no need to lock things up for that.

Personally i don't think the locks are there to prevent theft. They don't want
everybody fondling the saacred underwear <G>

Jan

John Stone

Jul 10, 2001, 3:06:03 AM7/10/01
Aw Jan, thanks for telling the truth ;-)

I've probably been in more temples than 99% of the mormons on this
list--served as an ROW, baptized more "dead gizes" and believed the mormon
line until I decided to learn more. Oops, then I went to the Hebrew
scriptures to learn what jesus read and taught -- oh boy!

The truth is out there...

Yep it really is!

Thanks for you insight Jan!

The proper lesson for a mormon to learn for all this thread is that "if
anyone takes your money or possessions while in the temple, feel the pain of
that individual--after all s/he needs it more than you. Wish them well, that
your possession(s) may benefit them as much as possible.

And mormons talk about "charity" being the pure love of christ! They
wouldn't know, they are too wrapped up in themselves to see the needs of
another. When they look at a non-mormon it is as a "potential" convert, not
as a human being with need, wants and desires. Nope it is will he take the
discussion, quite smoking and drinking, tithe and blindly follow the company
line, believing in:

1) God was a man (like, yes, you),
2) Moon and sun men,
3) Adam was god, and
4) After death (if you are a good mormon) you can have multiple heavenly
wives , heavenly sex, populate your own world and serve as a god over it.

Jeeze, you have to check your brains at the door to be a mormon--I know I
did for far too long!

--John

--

"J Stryker" <jstry...@aol.com578> wrote in message

CommUnitarian

Jul 10, 2001, 7:15:06 AM7/10/01
In article <mOn27.24368$Ro2.3...@typhoon.mw.mediaone.net>, "Bill Williams"
<will...@mediaone.net> writes:

>Then they can take the locks out. The Protestant minister thing was removed
>from the temple ceremony, I believe in 1991.
>
>Bill Williams

That was a good idea. When I was about 5 years old, we wanted to play Flash
Gordon. The idea was a failure, because nobody wanted to be "the bad guys."
They always got their asses kicked.

Raleigh
"He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye
are not of God." Then answered the Jews, and said unto Him, "Say we not well
that thou are a Samaritan, and hast a devil?"

John 8:47-48 KJV

TheJordan6

Jul 10, 2001, 8:55:26 AM7/10/01
>From: grale...@cs.comRLDS (CommUnitarian)
>Date: 7/10/2001 7:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time

>In article <mOn27.24368$Ro2.3...@typhoon.mw.mediaone.net>, "Bill Williams"
><will...@mediaone.net> writes:
>

>>Then they can take the locks out. The Protestant minister thing was removed
>>from the temple ceremony, I believe in 1991.
>>
>>Bill Williams
>
>That was a good idea. When I was about 5 years old, we wanted to play Flash
>Gordon. The idea was a failure, because nobody wanted to be "the bad guys."
>They always got their asses kicked.
>
>Raleigh

The rumor is that the LDS church removed the part about the minister being a
"hireling of Satan" because of publicity about the scene from people like Ed
Decker, and Christian groups complaining about it.

Randy J.

TheJordan6

Jul 10, 2001, 9:14:12 AM7/10/01
>Leaving church one Sunday with my wife, two cars had a slight collision in
>the church parking lot. There was a lot of finger pointing and minor name
>calling. I jerked upright though when I heard one call the other a bastard.
>My wife told me later it was one of the counselors in the Elders Quorum that
>was calling the Bishop a bastard.

.....And the bishop replied, "That's BISHOP bastard to you, lowly scum!!!"

> I sure hope they got it all worked out.

>Just goes to show ya, that we all have our failings.

That's true. But not once in my 35 years of Mormondumb did I give a bishop the
finger, nor did anyone give me one. I guess times are a' changin' down at the
Mochurch.

> You'd be surpised how
>many times I've gotten the finger for driving only 60 mph on the freeway in
>California. (Course, I'm not pure and innocent either.) newguy

Your more grievous sin is living in California to begin with. :-)

Randy J.

CommUnitarian

Jul 10, 2001, 3:25:01 PM7/10/01
wrote:

>The rumor is that the LDS church removed the part about the minister being a
>"hireling of Satan" because of publicity about the scene from people like Ed
>Decker, and Christian groups complaining about it.
>
>Randy J.

It is amazing that more Christian groups don't focus more critical
attention on statements of Decker, et. al., that Mormons are all possessed by
demons, and that Mormon elders introduce demons into Mormon children during
confirmation.

It seems to me the the LDS are way too conciliatory in this respect. If the
SBC feels justified in going around handing out pamphlets that say Joseph Smith
was a sorcerer, I see no reason why the LDS can't return the complement and say
that the protestant traveling elders are devil bought.

"Happy is the tomb in which no wizard hath lain,
And happy is the town at night whose witches are all ashes.
For the soul of the devil-bought hastens not from its charnel clay
but fattens and instructs the very worm that gnaws
Until out of corruption horrid life springs.
Great holes secretly are digged where the earth's pores ought to suffice,
And things have learned to walk that ought to crawl."

Woody Brison

Jul 10, 2001, 7:08:59 PM7/10/01
"Lee Paulson" <lrpa...@xxearthlink.net> wrote in message news:<3b49b43c$1...@nntp.networld.com>...

> "Woody Brison" <wwbr...@lds.net> wrote:
> >
> >"Lee Paulson" <lrpa...@xxearthlink.net> wrote:
> >>
> >>Although I don't believe the church is the Dark Empire, I
> >>also don't believe the locks are there to tell people the
> >>lockers are taken. ...
> >
> >Well, ma'am, having been there thousands of times, I can
> >bear solemn testimony that the keys do serve that exact
> >purpose, at least for me. When I see the key gone, I know
> >that the locker is in use. When the key is present, it's
> >available. That's the way the lock works, it cannot be
> >opened unless the key is in the lock. You not having been
> >there, what exactly are you basing your surmises on?
> >
> >>...If that were the reason, they could just
> >>install cubbyholes, as we called them in elementary school.
> >>That's what my employer's gym has. Very cheap, open faced, no
> >>doors required.
> >
> >The situation is different. Our lockers hold complete change
> >of clothing. Your elementary school kids don't leave their
> >underwear, etc. in those cubbies open to view, and there is
> >the little matter of the smell of sweaty socks, etc.
> >
> >Is this really a matter of deep puzzlement for you? What is
> >wrong with the Church being allowed to decide what are the
> >best arrangements for it's own non-public matters?
>
> Woody, it's not a matter of puzzlement to me at all. Your
> response was the puzzlement. The church can decide whatever it
> wants--they own the property.

Great that you know that, some on this thread have seemed to
think the Church must pass this board of review (composed of
them) on everything. Funny thing, it never gets this board's
approval, and yet it never alters course because of that, and
it never experiences any great problems from not doing so, and
yet they never seem to clue in to any of those facts.

> I assume the reason the lockers have locks (and our gym has
> full-length cubbyholes as well as the little square ones) is
> to keep people from having their belongings stolen.

I really don't believe that. There isn't a high incidence of
non-recommend holders in the building, it must be down around
1 or 2 per decade. I don't believe there's any significant
threat from the insiders either. I've posted a couple of other
reasons why the locks are there; if you don't like them, then
throw away the information I've given and make up your own.
Honestly, the detours some of you people make around the world
to avoid the simplest, most obvious things!

> I don't see anything wrong with that, and I am surprised that
> you do.

I see nothing wrong with there being locks on the lockers, as
I explained. I don't believe the reason is theft, as I explained.
The accusation was, that there must be some skullduggery going
on because they have to put in locks. There isn't any, the
locks are there for more benign reasons, IMHO.

Wood

Hill5045

Jul 11, 2001, 10:30:35 AM7/11/01
>Subject: Re: Why are there locks in mormon temples?
>From: wwbr...@lds.net (Woody

> The Church is not this evil empire some imagine
>it; it's a good bunch of folks, working to do right.
>
>Wood

Right! Just lock up you valuables when they come over!

Gordon

Lee Paulson

Jul 11, 2001, 2:02:18 PM7/11/01

wwbr...@lds.net (Woody Brison) wrote:
>"Lee Paulson" <lrpa...@xxearthlink.net> wrote in message news:<3b49b43c$1...@nntp.networld.com>...
>> "Woody Brison" <wwbr...@lds.net> wrote:
>> >
>> >"Lee Paulson" <lrpa...@xxearthlink.net> wrote:

snip

>> I assume the reason the lockers have locks (and our gym has
>> full-length cubbyholes as well as the little square ones) is
>> to keep people from having their belongings stolen.
>
>I really don't believe that. There isn't a high incidence of
>non-recommend holders in the building, it must be down around
>1 or 2 per decade.

What does that have to do with it?

I don't believe there's any significant
>threat from the insiders either. I've posted a couple of other
>reasons why the locks are there; if you don't like them, then
>throw away the information I've given and make up your own.
>Honestly, the detours some of you people make around the world
>to avoid the simplest, most obvious things!

I'm reduced to "you people." Woody, in case you don't know it,
locks are manufactured to keep people out of things. I've never
seen a lock advertised as a means to let people know a space is
occupied.

The simplest reason for locks is that they serve the purpose
for which they are intended. To prevent theft.

gmeadows

Jul 11, 2001, 6:06:47 PM7/11/01
The reason Mormons lock up their clothes in the temple is because Mormons
steal; regardless of the reasons given here.
Reading the responses here tells me for sure that Mormon reasoning power is
in lala land.

Hertzdonut

Jul 11, 2001, 6:36:03 PM7/11/01

gmeadows wrote:

Actually, I think that it is very unlikely that someone attending Temple
ordinaces would go through the locker room looking for something to steal. I
suspect that the locks are provided to reduce the temptation to *snoop*.

Putting locks on the lockers in IMO, is a wise thing to do. No matter how good
and sincere people are, it is not good to leave temptation just stareing them
in the face.

Woody Brison

Jul 11, 2001, 7:45:31 PM7/11/01
Lee Paulson wrote:

> wwbr...@lds.net (Woody Brison) wrote:

> snip
>
> >> I assume the reason the lockers have locks (and our gym has
> >> full-length cubbyholes as well as the little square ones) is
> >> to keep people from having their belongings stolen.
> >
> >I really don't believe that. There isn't a high incidence of
> >non-recommend holders in the building, it must be down around
> >1 or 2 per decade.
>
> What does that have to do with it?

If there is no one to steal, then there is no threat of
theft. If there is no threat of theft, yet there are
locks in place, we could wonder whether the locks are
there for some other reason.

> I don't believe there's any significant
> >threat from the insiders either. I've posted a couple of other
> >reasons why the locks are there; if you don't like them, then
> >throw away the information I've given and make up your own.
> >Honestly, the detours some of you people make around the world
> >to avoid the simplest, most obvious things!
>
> I'm reduced to "you people."

"some of you people".

>...Woody, in case you don't know it,

> locks are manufactured to keep people out of things. I've never
> seen a lock advertised as a means to let people know a space is
> occupied.

Can things only have the purpose advertised by their manufacturer?
Can the purchaser not use them for any other purpose? I mentioned
that I believe that when the Lord gets here, there will be far
less need for locks. Well, the Latter-day Saints are a lot closer
to that condition, and especially inside the Temples.

> The simplest reason for locks is that they serve the purpose
> for which they are intended. To prevent theft.

Why is that the simplest reason? To indicate in use/available
seems pretty elementary to me. To just hold the door shut seems
pretty simple too (the latch is the lock). It seems like a good
system for the situation; people don't have to lock the locker,
they can just leave the key in the lock, then it functions as
a latch handle. There is no other handle. But, there are just
two ways to indicate that the locker is in use: 1) have people
keep opening it, oops, stuff fell out, stick it back in, waste
a bunch of time, or 2) take the key. You not having a Temple
recommend cannot verify what I'm saying, but there really isn't
any other way, and there couldn't be a simpler, neater system.
We are not afraid to lock up our stuff, no one is insulted that
we might be calling them a thief. And, someday there might be
some real reason to lock it up; maybe something dangerous could
be kept in a locker, like power tools during a repair job or
something.

My whole point is, the existence of the locks does not indicate
that the Latter-day Saints are a bunch of thieves. And more
than that this deponent sayeth not.

Wood

Lee Paulson

Jul 12, 2001, 7:46:13 AM7/12/01

wwbr...@lds.net (Woody Brison) wrote:
>Lee Paulson wrote:
>>
>> wwbr...@lds.net (Woody Brison) wrote:

>> snip

>> >I really don't believe that. There isn't a high incidence of
>> >non-recommend holders in the building, it must be down around
>> >1 or 2 per decade.
>>
>> What does that have to do with it?
>
>If there is no one to steal, then there is no threat of
>theft. If there is no threat of theft, yet there are
>locks in place, we could wonder whether the locks are
>there for some other reason.

Oh, I see. LDS don't steal. Got it. Tell that to my
ex-sister-in-law, who btw, holds a temple recommend.

Of course, Woody. MOST people don't steal, whether they are
LDS or not. MOST LDS I know are pretty nice, decent people.
Most Catholics I know are too. Most atheists are too.

I think you've taken the explanations too far. Locks are locks.
Latches (which lockers come with anyway) secure doors.

CommUnitarian

Jul 12, 2001, 8:31:22 AM7/12/01
>"gmeadows" gmea...@alltel.net
wrote:

Placement of a lock does not indicate that there is danger of theft. It
indicates that the one who placed it is afraid that he will be robbed. Lack of
faith is like faith. There is often a situation where there is no evidence to
justify it.

In a world where everyone thinks they are the only nonmoron on the
freeway, I am not surprised.

Raleigh

Raleigh

CommUnitarian

Jul 12, 2001, 8:33:06 AM7/12/01
wrote:

>Right! Just lock up you valuables when they come over!
>
>Gordon

Sounds like an old Bro. Blotz (baptist) cartoon. Bro. Blotz came in the door
and was removing his hat. There was a sign in the foyer that read "Deacons
Meeting. Watch Your Hat and Coat."

Raleigh

"He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye
are not of God." Then answered the Jews, and said unto Him, "Say we not well
that thou are a Samaritan, and hast a devil?"

John 8:47-48 KJV

Clovis Lark

Jul 12, 2001, 9:22:57 AM7/12/01
Woody Brison <wwbr...@lds.net> wrote:
> Lee Paulson wrote:
>>
>> wwbr...@lds.net (Woody Brison) wrote:

>> snip

>> >I really don't believe that. There isn't a high incidence of
>> >non-recommend holders in the building, it must be down around
>> >1 or 2 per decade.
>>
>> What does that have to do with it?

> If there is no one to steal, then there is no threat of
> theft. If there is no threat of theft, yet there are
> locks in place, we could wonder whether the locks are
> there for some other reason.

Woody is correct. The Quorum of 12 insisted upon their placement as a
daily reminder that the doors to the CK are locked to those who are not
worthy. Only when one has memorized the combination to the doors to the
CK, may one enter...

Clovis Lark

Jul 12, 2001, 9:29:07 AM7/12/01
Lee Paulson <lrpa...@xxearthlink.net> wrote:

> wwbr...@lds.net (Woody Brison) wrote:

>>> snip

>>> What does that have to do with it?
>>
>>If there is no one to steal, then there is no threat of
>>theft. If there is no threat of theft, yet there are
>>locks in place, we could wonder whether the locks are
>>there for some other reason.
>>

> Oh, I see. LDS don't steal. Got it. Tell that to my
> ex-sister-in-law, who btw, holds a temple recommend.

Mormons never never steel/stele/splash, EVER. Oh, you mean that! Oh, that
is Ad hoc Portfolio Enhancement: an activity known as aping...

Leigh Cowley

Jul 12, 2001, 10:42:32 AM7/12/01
I can not believe that this much time and effort has been spent on
something so unimportant as to locks. Many times I have been to the
temple, and the key has been left in it. Unknowingly, I opened it. I
was embarrassed in opening someones space. The easiest answer is to
have it locked. Plain and simple. This is so silly. Move on.
Leigh

alquijano

Jul 12, 2001, 12:45:14 PM7/12/01
In article <f36171a3.01071...@posting.google.com>,
wwbr...@lds.net (Woody Brison) wrote:

> I see nothing wrong with there being locks on the lockers, as
> I explained. I don't believe the reason is theft, as I explained.
> The accusation was, that there must be some skullduggery going
> on because they have to put in locks. There isn't any, the
> locks are there for more benign reasons, IMHO.

The locks serve to keep honest people honest. I can't believe there is
actual debate on this subject.

Lee Paulson

Jul 12, 2001, 1:01:11 PM7/12/01

There's not. The argument was with Woody's explanation to
whomever started this thread.

What does that mean, though--keeping honest people honest?

newguy

Jul 12, 2001, 3:34:27 PM7/12/01

TheJordan6 wrote in message
<20010710091412...@ng-cg1.aol.com>...

Indeed! That is why I live on top of a mountain away from civilization.
newguy

>Randy J.

newguy

Jul 12, 2001, 3:36:52 PM7/12/01

CommUnitarian wrote in message
<20010712083122...@ng-fy1.news.cs.com>...

Of course there are those who have had things stolen. newguy

newguy

Jul 12, 2001, 3:38:53 PM7/12/01

Woody Brison wrote in message ...

Of course, Wood, it would be a lot cheaper to put a numbered tag on a clip
and pin that on your clothes when you leave the locker room if there were no
worry about theft. newguy

newguy

Jul 12, 2001, 3:41:11 PM7/12/01

Leigh Cowley wrote in message
<51ea418.01071...@posting.google.com>...

Theft is not silly. newguy

newguy

Jul 12, 2001, 3:44:54 PM7/12/01

Lee Paulson wrote in message <3b4dc9c7$1...@nntp.networld.com>...

It is kind of like, wanting to be like Christ, but not wanting to be perfect
like Him.

Matthew 5:48
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is
perfect.

Matthew 19:21
21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go [and] sell that thou
hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come
[and] follow me.

Guess I'm like the Christian, I don't want to be perfect either.

newguy

Leigh Cowley

Jul 12, 2001, 9:54:45 PM7/12/01
I can not believe I am answering again. How about this. Even though I
have a Temple recommend, I am not perfect. When a cow goes through my
fence I have just fixed, in frustration, I bellow out a few words that
I feel the cow will understand.(cows do not understand plain english).
This release of anger is a sin. I go home and repent. I am sure there
are people who do not have this problem, but perhaps their problem is
theft. So to keep things safe, they put locks on the lockers. How
about that one? It feels good, it feels right.
Leigh

don m

Jul 12, 2001, 10:53:07 PM7/12/01

lock up the cow. it will keep him honest and save your fence too.

dangerous1

Think globally, act loco
<http://www.users.qwest.net/~dmarchant1/index.htm>

Lee Paulson

Jul 13, 2001, 7:54:16 AM7/13/01

I think that's fine and rational. Woody said LDS in the temple
don't steal. The locks are simply indicators of occupancy.

Lee

**Orohippus, Mesohippus, Miohippus, Protohippus, Pliohippus,
Equus. Evolution is just a theory. So is gravity.**

John Stone

Jul 13, 2001, 7:54:55 PM7/13/01
Newguy,
you have never seen the inside of a temple! So shut the hell up with the
dumb crack!

--

"newguy" <cerb...@saber.net> wrote >

John Stone