Co-op solution for Microsoft and all software companies

1 view

James Kibo Parry

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
In sci.econ, talk.politics.theory, and misc.legal,
Archimedes Plutonium (Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu) replied to himself:

> Archimedes Plutonium (Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu) wrote:
> >
> > The agenda of a co-op is not to become a behemoth over valued entity.
> > The agenda of a co-op is to provide a service or product at the best
> > and lowest costs and to gain more patrons.
>

> I am going to offer a solution for the Microsoft monopoly and for the
> overpriced software made these days.

How about having them spend all their time posting crackpot science
theories to the Internet? That way we'll be able to verify that they'll
never get anything actually done. Bill Gates would be too busy proving
that the Universe is a giant, talking plutonium atom inside his head that
makes him like shredded coconut.

Of course, that would make him look considerably more dweeby.

> Establish 'Computer Software Co-ops'.
>
> How they work: They buy all the software and have it all at one
> place. Patrons can join the co-op and by joining they can share all of
> the software. No need to buy any software.
>
> Thus, instead of Microsoft selling millions of copies of Word
> software, only 10 copies of Word are sold in the entire USA. Those ten
> copies are bought by 10 Co-ops who then share Word, or allow its
> customers put the Word into their computer.

I... see. So, prices would go down if we added a middleman?

By the way, Arch, you can buy site licenses from resellers already.
Well, other people can. You just buy different colors of raspberries
and talk about them all day.

> A Software Co-op is not much different from a library. Each book in
> the library is copyrighted,

I see you've never stumbled into the Dover books section.

Oh, that's right, in addition to reprints of public-domain books,
Dover also publishes math and science books. That would explain why
you haven't encountered them.

> and each piece of software in the Co-op is
> copyrighted. But the library patrons and the Co-op patrons can
> check-out or pirate onto their computer the software.

PAGING DON SAKLAD, PAGING DON SAKLAD...

> The libraries have to pay for their books, and so too the Co-op pays for
> Microsoft Word. No need for everyone in the US to own all the copyrighted
> books for which libraries serve that function. And similarly, no need for
> every person in the US to have to pay Microsoft for Word. Instead, only
> 10 Co-ops that cover the entire US need to buy ten Word software.

So, how many millions of dollars per copy would Microsoft ask of the
ten people who were stupid enough to buy it? And, Arch, I'll sell you
a copy of ClarisWorks For Kids for A DOLLAR LESS!

> You may complain that this would put the software companies out of
> business. Well, we really do not need that many software companies in
> the first place, do we? For as most books are junk, most software is
> junk

So does your scientific research count as a book or as software?

> No need for a judge to break up Microsoft in its trial case. Instead,
> start the Software Co-ops business across the US.

I have a better idea. Instead of Archie writing hundreds of rants a month,
he can only make ten in a lifetime, and we all have to share those ten.

-- K.

I call dibs on one of
the seven about poop.

James Kibo Parry

Mar 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/28/99
In sci.econ, talk.politics.theory, and misc.legal,
Archimedes Plutonium (Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu) wrote:

> Most software is games, and the worthiness of games is about zero

I was going to say that was an odd comment for someone who keeps bragging
about the fact that he's played enough chess to become unbeatable because
he "solved the game of chess", but I think people are getting bored with my
comments on your rants, so I won't say it.

I am so glad that I didn't mention it.

However, I admit that it's clear that you don't like golf:

-> Pat likes to putt golf around. Both the Winter and Summer Olympics
-> committee 1990 rejected Patricks request to have putt-putt golf installed.
-> Because Patrick wears the olympic rings in his ears, nose, and out the
-> side of his ass. I don't blame the committee, do you?
->
-> -- Ludwig Plutonium, "Re: LP on chess", February 23, 1994

Anyway, Archie, as I said above, I think after commenting on a few zillion
of your many zillion articles, people think they're getting a little
repetitious. And the same for my comments on your zillions. However, as
these are _your_ articles I'm commenting on, I think you should have the
final say as to whether or not I comment on 'em -- besides, you're obviously
the smartest person on the whole Internet, because you "solved the game
of chess" and some of us are still struggling with Rubik's Cube. So, Arch,
please let me know whether or not I'm allowed to comment on your writings
from now on. Are you still my pal?

-- K.

-> (13) This number is thought of as unlucky. It is now the oldest
-> outstanding mathematics problem. FIND THE OPTIMAL STRATEGY FOR THE
-> GAME OF CHESS. We will need the OS when we do war with outer space
-> lifeforms.
-> -- Ludwig Plutonium, early November, 1993

-> For the hours in the very distant future when be do battle with
-> outer space life forms, I dedicate the following songs. Perhaps
-> I will have been already brought back to life and perhaps I will
-> lead us Homo sapiens on to victory.
-> -- Ludwig Plutonium, November 8, 1993

Maelstrom

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
ki...@world.std.com (James "Kibo" Parry) wrote thus:

>I was going to say that was an odd comment for someone who keeps bragging
>about the fact that he's played enough chess to become unbeatable because
>he "solved the game of chess", but I think people are getting bored with my
>comments on your rants, so I won't say it.

<almost serious>
I'd just like to say that about the only ARK postings I read in long periods
of '98 were Kibo's followups to Archimedes Plutonium cause I didn't have
time for anything else and cause they were funny dammit. Some of the
funniest stuff I've ever read on the USnet in fact. And now you people have
gone and made Kibo cry and he won't do it any more, and ark will never be
the same. I hope you all fukken choke!
</ATOM>

--Maelstrom

Beable van Polasm

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
In article <37029345....@news.aurum.net.au>,

MEE 2 D00D!!! ADD MEE @ THA LIST!!!

I would just like to COMPLAIN about all the COMPLAINTS that
have been emailed to this WEB-CHAT BBS lately!

Like people COMPLAINING because the rappers were being
annoying. WELL DUH!!! If they come in here and say:
"We are trying to annoy and provoke people"; then if
you get ANNOYED and PROVOKED into COMPLAINING about
it, then YOU LOSE!!! DUH!!!!!1! Please turn in your
h3fty k3wl troll3r badge on the way out. Thanks you.

Why don't people complain about stuff that is R1LLY
annoying and CAN'T POSSIBLY produce ANYTHING funny,
like "A Fistful of Penis: the most BORING and MINDLESS
cascade in HISTORY!!". That piece of CRAP led to me
developing a WHOLE new method of reading using DN,
and working out how to KILL THE THREAD!

But NO NO NO you have to complain about stuff that
could actually produce SOMETHING HUMOUROUS, like
some LUZERZ trying to troll US for KRSNAs sake!
Or the mighty Kibo pointing out Archie's wacky
theories yet again.

So Mr Kibo, go right ahead and post funny stuff
about Archie. I LIKE IT!

And to people who wanna complain, please post to
alt.i.wanna.complain and DON'T DO IT AROUND HERE!

Oh damn. I just complained about complaining. THESE
BLOODY META COMPLAINTS HAVE TO STOP NOW!!! META
COMPLAINING IS WRECKING THE NEWSGROUP!!!

Oh damn. I just complained about meta complaining. THESE
BLOODY META META COMPLAINTS HAVE TO STOP NOW!!! META META
COMPLAINING IS WRECKING THE NEWSGROUP!!!

Oh damn. I just complained about meta meta complaining. THESE
BLOODY META META META COMPLAINTS HAVE TO STOP NOW!!! META META META
COMPLAINING IS WRECKING THE NEWSGROUP!!!

Oh damn. I just complained about meta meta meta complaining. THESE
BLOODY META META META META COMPLAINTS HAVE TO STOP NOW!!! META META META META
COMPLAINING IS WRECKING THE NEWSGROUP!!!

BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE
BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE
BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE
BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE BEABLE
DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DIODY DOIDY
DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DIODY DOIDY
DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DOIDY DIODY DOIDY
FUTPLEX WOXWOX!!!!

your friend
beable van polasm
age 7
--
This article has been CANCELLED because it reveals the TRUTH
about ALIEN VISITORS, MIND CONTROL LASERS and THE INTERNATIONAL

Maelstrom

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
Beable van Polasm <bea...@my-dejanews.com> wrote thus:

>I would just like to COMPLAIN about all the COMPLAINTS that
>have been emailed to this WEB-CHAT BBS lately!

I would complain about your complaints-censorship that but someone will just
complain about that and I hate people who complain about my complaining
about other people complaining about complainting.
Try saying that seven times REALLY FAST and then do it again substituting
the word "clitoris" for the letter e.

>So Mr Kibo, go right ahead and post funny stuff
>about Archie. I LIKE IT!

By my count that's 2 for 1 against so now Kibo has post nothing BUT posts
mocking the beautiful yet vulnerable king of science.

>Oh damn. I just complained about meta meta meta complaining. THESE
>BLOODY META META META META COMPLAINTS HAVE TO STOP NOW!!! META META META META
>COMPLAINING IS WRECKING THE NEWSGROUP!!!

Yeah that too.

--Mmmbopstrom

"I am sure BigNuts.org is not a credible ISP, so how do we stop this?
Thank you!!!!"
JoslynMB

Gary Williams

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
Beable van Polasm wrote:

> In article <37029345....@news.aurum.net.au>,
> Maelstrom <maelst...@sga.nu> wrote:
> > ki...@world.std.com (James "Kibo" Parry) wrote thus:
<snip>

> FUTPLEX WOXWOX!!!!
>
> your friend
> beable van polasm
> age 7

Recursive FUTPLEX WOXWOX...well done, Excellent Beable!

-- Gary

Joseph Michael Bay

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
Beable van Polasm <bea...@my-dejanews.com> writes:

>Oh damn. I just complained about meta meta meta complaining. THESE
>BLOODY META META META META COMPLAINTS HAVE TO STOP NOW!!! META META META META
>COMPLAINING IS WRECKING THE NEWSGROUP!!!

A formal complaint of some complexity cannot be both consistent and decidable
at the same time.

THIS POST INTENTIONALLY LEFT INCOM

--
Joseph M. Bay Lamont Sanford Junior University
Putting the "harm" in molecular pharmacology since 1998

Maelstrom

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
Maelstrom <maelst...@sga.nu> wrote thus:

>By my count that's 2 for 1 against so now Kibo has post nothing BUT posts
>mocking the beautiful yet vulnerable king of science.

Please to be excusing my Austrian grammar of late, mein large bouncing
breasts are to be all the time striking the keyputter

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

--Olga

Beable van Polasm

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
In article <7dumle$r...@epic6.Stanford.EDU>,

jm...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Joseph Michael Bay) wrote:
> Beable van Polasm <bea...@my-dejanews.com> writes:
>
> >Oh damn. I just complained about meta meta meta complaining. THESE
> >BLOODY META META META META COMPLAINTS HAVE TO STOP NOW!!! META META META META
> >COMPLAINING IS WRECKING THE NEWSGROUP!!!
>
> A formal complaint of some complexity cannot be both consistent and decidable
> at the same time.

That would be Schroedinger's complaint, wouldn't it? Or am I
thinking of Portnoy's Complaint? HEISENBERG WAS A WANKER!!!1

> THIS POST INTENTIONALLY LEFT INCOM

HAW HAW C00TE

cheers
beable van polasm

Joseph Michael Bay

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
Beable van Polasm <bea...@my-dejanews.com> writes:

>> A formal complaint of some complexity cannot be both consistent and decidable
>> at the same time.

>That would be Schroedinger's complaint, wouldn't it? Or am I
>thinking of Portnoy's Complaint? HEISENBERG WAS A WANKER!!!1

Nah, it's the Goebbels incompleteness theorem, because he, much
like difficult-to-grow flowers, was anorchid.

>> THIS POST INTENTIONALLY LEFT INCOM

>HAW HAW C00TE

YHB

Roger Douglas Lite 98% fact free

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
So Beable van Polasm <bea...@my-dejanews.com> turns round and goes:

>In article <7dumle$r...@epic6.Stanford.EDU>,
> jm...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Joseph Michael Bay) wrote:

>> Beable van Polasm <bea...@my-dejanews.com> writes:
>>

>> >Oh damn. I just complained about meta meta meta complaining. THESE
>> >BLOODY META META META META COMPLAINTS HAVE TO STOP NOW!!! META META META META
>> >COMPLAINING IS WRECKING THE NEWSGROUP!!!
>>

>> A formal complaint of some complexity cannot be both consistent and decidable
>> at the same time.
>
>That would be Schroedinger's complaint, wouldn't it? Or am I
>thinking of Portnoy's Complaint? HEISENBERG WAS A WANKER!!!1

Haha, very good! Of course Schroedinger was Charlie Brown's friend who
played the piano.
I think you are referring to Godel's Complaint -- the discovery that not
only white-anted the very foundations of mathematics, collapsing like a
house of cards the elaborate edifice of Bertrand Russell and Mary
Whitehouse's "Principia Mathematica", but also led to the great outburst of
nihilism of the 1930's, exemplified by Samuel Becket's masterpiece "Waiting
for Godel".
Godel, I believe, can now be seen as the defining figure of 20th century
philosophy, as Descartes was of the 19th: on the one hand the certainty that
science could answer every conceivable question, on the other the absolute
proof that nothing was provable.
This, surely, was what Einstein was speaking of when he made the often
misquoted remark "Godel does not play dice".

--R.

Darla

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
Roger Douglas Lite 98% fact free <rdou...@zipworld.com.au> wrote:

> ... Schroedinger was Charlie Brown's friend who
> played the piano.

Yes.

> I think you are referring to Godel's Complaint -- the discovery that not
> only white-anted the very foundations of mathematics, collapsing like a
> house of cards the elaborate edifice of Bertrand Russell and Mary

> Whitehouse's "Principia Mathematica"...

No. It was Mary Beth WHITEHEAD who set out to prove that pee equals not
pee,
using a baby, M. The frequently mis-parsed Bert and Russell were a
vaudeville team
in the late 30s, specializing in sock puppetry. Russell later founded the
drugstore chocolate
firm Russell Stover.

> Godel, I believe, can now be seen as the defining figure of 20th century

> philosophy...

Only insomuch as he definitively answered the Freudian question "What do
women *want*?"
when he founded the Playtex Godel Company in 1938.

And the correct Einstein quotation is "Godel doesn't play *nice*."
[Emphasis mine]

Darla
--- correctarian to the ARK.

Beable van Polasm

Apr 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/2/99
In article <37045f37...@news.zipworld.com.au>,

rdou...@zipworld.com.au (Roger Douglas Lite 98% fact free ) wrote:
> So Beable van Polasm <bea...@my-dejanews.com> turns round and goes:
>
> >In article <7dumle$r...@epic6.Stanford.EDU>,
> > jm...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Joseph Michael Bay) wrote:

META

> >> A formal complaint of some complexity cannot be both consistent and
decidable
> >> at the same time.
> >
> >That would be Schroedinger's complaint, wouldn't it? Or am I
> >thinking of Portnoy's Complaint? HEISENBERG WAS A WANKER!!!1
> >
> Haha, very good! Of course Schroedinger was Charlie Brown's friend who
> played the piano.

I think you might of been chasing too many wallabies around
the back paddock without yer hat on there Rog! It was LINUS
who played the piano! And then he programmed a vital part
of the Windoze operating system on an Atari 2600, until
Richard Stallman bonked him over the head with a copy of
GNU Emacs and Linus ported the program to the Amiga
(AMIGA R00LZ, D00D!!!!!1) and it became FreeBSD, which some
el33t ha><ors later modified into Linux which we all know
and love today.

Please try to get your fax strate before posting nonsense!

your friend
beable van polasm
age 7