Excellent instances of trolling

Ben Wolfson

May 13, 2005, 1:07:38 PM5/13/05
I find myself wanting to read archives of trollings of other groups,
but the only one I can ever remember is the time Rose Marie Holt
trolled sci.physics about exhaling on a scale. But I know that
Beable, Ted Frank, and many more have carried out trollings such as
the day itself would quake to look upon. SO IF YOU HELPED ME LOCATE
THEM, I would think about giving you a cookie laced with curare.

--
Ben Wolfson
"I lie in the road try to trip up the passing cars.

Glitter Ninja

May 13, 2005, 1:34:50 PM5/13/05
Ben Wolfson <wol...@gmail.com> writes:

>I find myself wanting to read archives of trollings of other groups,
>but the only one I can ever remember is the time Rose Marie Holt
>trolled sci.physics about exhaling on a scale. But I know that
>Beable, Ted Frank,

Ted Frank et al were amazing trollers. By the time I found ARK, I'd
figured out what trolling was, although usually it was B1FF-style all-caps
rants about how the moon really was made of green cheese. After a few
Jesse Garon and Andrea Chen trolls from the mid-90s, I learned to
thoroughly research every post on ARK if I was going to follow up
seriously, otherwise, everything I said was a joke.
Not that my posts were well-received or seen as jokes. Trolling and
humor were competitive and more than once I was accused of using scripts
to come up with the wacky, adjective-filled non-sequiturs I used to post
back when I was young and fucked up.
As for trolling, I stopped trying to troll when, after a hasty not
phunni post of mine, some insecure wanker regular kept insisting he
trolled me and that I was too stupid to be on ARK. I assume his crazed
emails about it were email trolls but I honestly don't know. What I do
know is that any respect I have on ARK is because I am still stubbornly
here, eleven years later; ye olde trollerboys were not impressed.
Not that I was ever impressive, mind you. But the ripples from that
particular stone travelled further than they should have.
Beable's trolling has always impressed me, not for Beable's content
(sorry, Tennessee) but for the proof that there are some extremely stupid
groups of people and they all post to Usenet. When Beable started
trolling I thought it was a joke. Surely no one in this super futuristic
year of 1996 would ever get sucked into an all-caps, punctuation-filled
outright blatant lie, I said.
Of course, I'm stupid like that.

Stacia

Kevin S. Wilson

May 13, 2005, 1:41:24 PM5/13/05
On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:07:38 GMT, Ben Wolfson <wol...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I find myself wanting to read archives of trollings of other groups,
>but the only one I can ever remember is the time Rose Marie Holt
>trolled sci.physics about exhaling on a scale. But I know that
>Beable, Ted Frank, and many more have carried out trollings such as
>the day itself would quake to look upon. SO IF YOU HELPED ME LOCATE
>THEM, I would think about giving you a cookie laced with curare.

Some kibologist (forget who) has one or two of my trolls archived on
his webbages.

Beable had a good run in some poetry newsgroup after one of his
"poems" was accepted by one of those vanity-press "Best Poetry of
2005" publications.

Whoops! Wrong-O. It was the late M. Otis Beard, not Beable.

From: "M. Otis Beard" <bar...@uswest.net>
Subject: The Beautiful Day
Date: 1999/05/11
Newsgroups:
alt.religion.kibology,alt.arts.poetry.comments,alt.teens.poetry.and.stuff

I recently submitted a short poem to the prestigious and venerable
International Library of Poetry under the nom de plume of 'Sponzel
Espreadadent.' I am happy to report that they have accepted my poem
for
publication in their upcoming anthology, which will have a name like:

SECRETS OF THE SOUL
RETURN TO FOREVER
TRANQUIL RAINS OF SUMMER
STAR DUST IN THE MORNING
BITTERSWEET RHAPSODY
THE DRIFTING SANDS
A QUIET PLACE
THE PROMISE OF DAWN
A SYMPHONY OF VERSE
THE FULLNESS OF TIME
THE COLORS OF THE WIND

Or my personal favorite, GUIDED BY VOICES.

The editors have also personally selected my poem as one that "they
believe would have a wonderfully expressive quality if read by a
professional reader" which means that they want to sell me a cassette
tape
of a professional reader thundering out my verse in a Shakespearian
tone
over some baroque music. . . for only $29.95 over the regular cost of
my
copy of the book, which is only $59.95!

It's great to be a famous poet, and I'm going to give you all an
opportunity to bask in my lordly glow by posting my poem RIGHT HERE in
alt.religion.kibology, free of charge and BEFORE publication!

The Beautiful Day
by Sponzel Espreadadent

This is such a beautiful day
nobody knows why I guess it just turned out that way
the trees are so beautiful and so is the sky
WHY? WHY? WHY?

This is such a beautiful day
the birds are singing and the sky is certainly not grey!
nature is really pretty, oh my!
WHY? WHY? WHY?

This is such a beautiful day
unless I'm mistaken, it is definitely a very beautiful day today
it is so beautiful it makes me sigh
WHY? WHY? WHY?

-M. Otis Beard

Chris McGonnell

May 13, 2005, 1:46:52 PM5/13/05
On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:07:38 GMT, Ben Wolfson wrote:

>I find myself wanting to read archives of trollings of other groups,
>but the only one I can ever remember is the time Rose Marie Holt
>trolled sci.physics about exhaling on a scale. But I know that
>Beable, Ted Frank, and many more have carried out trollings such as
>the day itself would quake to look upon. SO IF YOU HELPED ME LOCATE
>THEM, I would think about giving you a cookie laced with curare.

You might try Googling "beable+Carmageddon" for starters.

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.

cl

May 13, 2005, 1:52:15 PM5/13/05

Ben Wolfson wrote:

> I find myself wanting to read archives of trollings of other groups,
> but the only one I can ever remember is the time Rose Marie Holt
> trolled sci.physics about exhaling on a scale. But I know that
> Beable, Ted Frank, and many more have carried out trollings such as
> the day itself would quake to look upon. SO IF YOU HELPED ME LOCATE
> THEM, I would think about giving you a cookie laced with curare.

Just watch this thread.

-CAL

Kevin S. Wilson

May 13, 2005, 1:57:54 PM5/13/05

Why? Are you going to "troll" us into believing you're too dumm to
understand the difference between e-mail and Usenet again?

That was a good won, alright. You had most of us believing you were
that dumm.

Ben Wolfson

May 13, 2005, 2:44:13 PM5/13/05
In article <d62ofq$jl6$1...@news.xmission.com>, Glitter Ninja wrote:
> Ted Frank et al were amazing trollers. By the time I found ARK, I'd
> figured out what trolling was, although usually it was B1FF-style all-caps
> rants about how the moon really was made of green cheese. After a few
> Jesse Garon and Andrea Chen trolls from the mid-90s, I learned to
> thoroughly research every post on ARK if I was going to follow up
> seriously, otherwise, everything I said was a joke.

But what's the best way to find them? I suck at the google.

> Beable's trolling has always impressed me, not for Beable's content
> (sorry, Tennessee) but for the proof that there are some extremely stupid
> groups of people and they all post to Usenet. When Beable started
> trolling I thought it was a joke. Surely no one in this super futuristic
> year of 1996 would ever get sucked into an all-caps, punctuation-filled
> outright blatant lie, I said.

I should have archived initial posts when I had the chance (not that I
was online in the futuristic years of most of the 90s).

plorkwort

May 13, 2005, 2:51:49 PM5/13/05
In article <87p98110jt6ctrn11...@4ax.com>,

Kevin S. Wilson <res...@spro.net> wrote:
> The Beautiful Day
> by Sponzel Espreadadent

WHY WHY WHY has this not been recorded by IBC?

plorkwort.
--
A girl and a boy bump into each other -- surely an accident.
A girl and a boy bump and her handkerchief drops -- surely another accident.

Glitter Ninja

May 13, 2005, 3:09:39 PM5/13/05
Ben Wolfson <wol...@gmail.com> writes:
>In article <d62ofq$jl6$1...@news.xmission.com>, Glitter Ninja wrote:

>> Ted Frank et al were amazing trollers.

>But what's the best way to find them? I suck at the google.

There's a theory that Ted's marriage to Kia was an elaborate troll.
Just a brief g**gling found "AOL Merger and Netscape Public License"
which seems to have involved Ted Frank, Michael Straight, Riboflavin, and
Usenet's favorite evil villain, Jay Denebeim.
There's also a pretty good multi-level troll involving
alt.fan.drew-barrymore and ARK. Search for "drew barrymore kibology". I
liked that one. Draw Berrymore is a doodyhead!
Back in '94, David DeLaney accidentally trolled a lot of cranky people
in "What the Heck is alt.religion.kibology". That looks like a good one.

>I should have archived initial posts when I had the chance (not that I
>was online in the futuristic years of most of the 90s).

The oldest I could find on g**gle (who won't go past 78 pages of results
the incontinent old fools) was Beable's troll of soc.culture.australian in
"You Gotta Love Australian Customs".
It's a start.

Stacia

Glitter Ninja

May 13, 2005, 3:12:05 PM5/13/05
a...@TheWorld.com (plorkwort) writes:
>Kevin S. Wilson <res...@spro.net> wrote:

>> The Beautiful Day
>> by Sponzel Espreadadent

>WHY WHY WHY has this not been recorded by IBC?

Bad memories, perhaps? Probably because it was waaaaaaaay too long ago
for any of us substance-abusing losers to have remembered it.
My own memory is failing me; I though it was "Spronzel Espreadament".
Simply vomitorious. Whoever's looking for trolls, that one between ARK
and rec.arts.poetry turned particularly nasty, if you've got the time to
look it all up. Yow. Tears were shed, I swear.

Stacia

Kevin S. Wilson

May 13, 2005, 3:14:15 PM5/13/05

Good time, good times.

It isn't good clean fun until someone's crying.

twillis

May 13, 2005, 3:31:35 PM5/13/05

Ben Wolfson wrote:
> I find myself wanting to read archives of trollings of other groups,
> but the only one I can ever remember is the time Rose Marie Holt
> trolled sci.physics about exhaling on a scale. But I know that
> Beable, Ted Frank, and many more have carried out trollings such as
> the day itself would quake to look upon. SO IF YOU HELPED ME LOCATE
> THEM, I would think about giving you a cookie laced with curare.

For starters:

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.religion.kibology/browse_frm/thread/de7669593be3fa91/01b5ea631f504149?tvc=1&q=beable+seinfeld+sequest#01b5ea631f504149

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.religion.kibology/browse_frm/thread/2f6219fd42226c51/1f2fb3e0c70207cf?q=Cyber-Whelk&rnum=1#1f2fb3e0c70207cf

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.religion.kibology/browse_frm/thread/c986d2adfa842eee/aae99787aea7b7b4?q=herpes&rnum=1#aae99787aea7b7b4

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.religion.kibology/browse_frm/thread/3339aa46d141ac57/6acf5e09e1837ce9?q=carmageddon&rnum=1#6acf5e09e1837ce9

cl

May 13, 2005, 3:36:54 PM5/13/05

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:52:15 GMT, cl <cl...@midsouth.rr.com> wrote:
>

> >Ben Wolfson wrote:
> >>
> >> I find myself wanting to read archives of trollings of other groups,
> >> but the only one I can ever remember is the time Rose Marie Holt
> >> trolled sci.physics about exhaling on a scale. But I know that
> >> Beable, Ted Frank, and many more have carried out trollings such as
> >> the day itself would quake to look upon. SO IF YOU HELPED ME LOCATE
> >> THEM, I would think about giving you a cookie laced with curare.
> >

> >Just watch this thread.
> >
> Why? Are you going to "troll" us into believing you're too dumm to
> understand the difference between e-mail and Usenet again?

I'm sorry care to provide a reference to that statement?

Like I said, what this thread if you what to see Prof K Sphinter Wilson
being trolled. Of course now he won't have to balls to participate.

_CAL

Etienne Rouette

May 13, 2005, 3:21:01 PM5/13/05
"Ben Wolfson" <wol...@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
slrnd89nmp....@swank.cs.uchicago.edu...

> I find myself wanting to read archives of trollings of other groups,
> but the only one I can ever remember is the time Rose Marie Holt
> trolled sci.physics about exhaling on a scale. But I know that
> Beable, Ted Frank, and many more have carried out trollings such as
> the day itself would quake to look upon. SO IF YOU HELPED ME LOCATE
> THEM, I would think about giving you a cookie laced with curare.

I liked the brian eable UNSENET and plankton trolls. I think liked the (I
believe) Gardner S. Trask troll about tomagotchis in airports. I know the
thread lasted a while anyway.

Etienne

Etienne Rouette

May 13, 2005, 3:14:19 PM5/13/05
"Glitter Ninja" <sta...@xmission.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
d62ofq$jl6$1...@news.xmission.com...
[...]

> Not that I was ever impressive, mind you. But the ripples from that
> particular stone travelled further than they should have.

Is that why you had to resort to changing names so often, Miss Avocado
Avenger/Stacia/Glitter Ninja?

> Beable's trolling has always impressed me, not for Beable's content
> (sorry, Tennessee) but for the proof that there are some extremely stupid
> groups of people and they all post to Usenet. When Beable started
> trolling I thought it was a joke. Surely no one in this super futuristic
> year of 1996 would ever get sucked into an all-caps, punctuation-filled

^^^^
You say you stopped trollering years ago and in the same post you do it
again. I will never take what you write at face value ever again. Everyone
knows Beable van Polasm, aka brian "all lowercase" eable started posting in
1998. Unless he used some other name I don't know about. And some other
persona.

We won't be sucked into this

> outright blatant lie, I said.

I am now wackylacing.

> Of course, I'm stupid like that.

Not

> Stacia

The enb.

Etienne

Etienne Rouette

May 13, 2005, 3:38:52 PM5/13/05
"Glitter Ninja" <sta...@xmission.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
d62u1j$o84$1...@news.xmission.com...

> There's a theory that Ted's marriage to Kia was an elaborate troll.

Just a theory.

> Just a brief g**gling found "AOL Merger and Netscape Public License"
> which seems to have involved Ted Frank, Michael Straight, Riboflavin, and
> Usenet's favorite evil villain, Jay Denebeim.

You must be trolling. You're off the wagon (on the wagon?*) again. Everyone
knows Usenet's favorite evil villain is Mike Zeares. The bastard!

Etienne

* This is a Seinfeld reference therefore it must suck.

Kevin S. Wilson

May 13, 2005, 4:08:40 PM5/13/05
On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:36:54 GMT, cl <cl...@midsouth.rr.com> wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

>> >Just watch this thread.
>> >
>> Why? Are you going to "troll" us into believing you're too dumm to
>> understand the difference between e-mail and Usenet again?
>
>I'm sorry care to provide a reference to that statement?

Um, Dick? Asking a question -- as you have here -- and having someone
answer it is not the definition of a successful troll. I mention it so
that you won't trot out your one-trick pony to proclaim that you
"trolled" me into "clicking" with my "electronic mouse" on the
following "Userenet posting," which is conveniently located in a
folder I call "Really Dumm Things Seen Recently on the Usernet." I
suppose it goes without saying that you won't get any farther by
claiming that you "trolled" me into looking it up on "Goggle."

(Dick here is getting way too predictable.)

From: cl <cl...@midsouth.rr.com>
Newsgroups: alt.religion.kibology
Subject: Re: Cutting the Goddamn Grass
<4272A034...@midsouth.rr.com>
<117adhj...@corp.supernews.com>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 13:21:54 GMT

bar...@bookpro.com wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:59:13 GMT, cl <cl...@midsouth.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > unsolicited commercial announcements to a group isn't spam
>
> Correct.

Based on whose definition? Does a clever disguise make it !spam?

FTC SpamForum
While the panelists at the Federal Trade Commission's Spam Forum argue
this week over just what, exactly, should be considered as spam
(Unsolicited? Bulk? Fraud element?), a new survey shows American
business e-mail users have no such quibbles: the difference between
spam
and desired e-mail is whether the user has previously transacted
business with the sender.

Legal:
current bills define spam as "unsolicitied commercial e-mail."

Netabuse faq (spam):
http://www.cybernothing.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq.html#2.1

What is Spam?
It's a luncheon meat, kinda pink, comes in a can, made by Hormel. Most
Americans intuitively, viscerally associate "Spam" with "no nutritive
or
aesthetic value," though it is still relatively popular (especially in
Hawaii) and can be found in almost any grocery store.) The canned
luncheon meat has its own newsgroup, alt.spam.
The term "spam," as used on this newsgroup, means "the same article
(or
essentially the same article) posted an unacceptably high number of
times to one or more newsgroups." CONTENT IS IRRELEVANT. 'Spam'
doesn't
mean "ads." It doesn't mean "abuse." It doesn't mean "posts whose
content I object to." Spam is a funky name for a phenomenon that can
be
measured pretty objectively: did that post appear X times? (See 3.1,
"Yeah, but how many is X?')

There have been "customized" spams where each post made some effort to
apply to each individual newsgroup, but the general thrust of each
article was the same. A huge straw poll on news.admin.policy,
news.admin.misc, and alt.current-events.net-abuse (December 1994)
showed
that as many of 90% of the readers felt that cancellations for these
posts were justified. So, simply put: if you plan to post the same or
extremely similar messages to dozens of newsgroups, the posts are
probably going to get cancelled.

If you feel that a massive multi-post you are planning constitutes an
exception, you are more than welcome to run the idea past the readers
of
news.admin.net-abuse.usenet for feedback first.

Webopedia (spam):
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/spam.html

"Electronic junk mail or junk newsgroup postings. Some people define
spam even more generally as any unsolicited e-mail. However, if a
long-lost brother finds your e-mail address and sends you a message,
this could hardly be called spam, even though it's unsolicited. Real
spam is generally e-mail advertising for some product sent to a
mailing
list or newsgroup. "

Glitter Ninja

May 13, 2005, 4:51:18 PM5/13/05
"Etienne Rouette" <etienne...@sympatico.ca> writes:
>"Glitter Ninja" <sta...@xmission.com> a écrit dans le message de news:

Crazy moonman language.

>Is that why you had to resort to changing names so often, Miss Avocado
>Avenger/Stacia/Glitter Ninja?

I didn't resort! Seriously, I'm a victim of fashion, and we all know
guacamole is out and glitter is in.

>You say you stopped trollering years ago and in the same post you do it
>again. I will never take what you write at face value ever again.

Oh the terrible, terrible shame! I shall wear a sack over my head
always!

>Etienne

Etienne, you're old, you must remember some good trolls, right? Help
the newbie out here, wouldja?

Stacia

Ben Wolfson

May 13, 2005, 5:35:17 PM5/13/05
In article <d63406$sv0$1...@news.xmission.com>, Glitter Ninja wrote:

> Etienne, you're old, you must remember some good trolls, right? Help
> the newbie out here, wouldja?

I'm *still* a newbie? What do I have to do, travel back in time to 1991?

Glitter Ninja

May 13, 2005, 5:48:57 PM5/13/05
Ben Wolfson <wol...@gmail.com> writes:
>In article <d63406$sv0$1...@news.xmission.com>, Glitter Ninja wrote:
>>
>> Etienne, you're old, you must remember some good trolls, right? Help
>> the newbie out here, wouldja?

>I'm *still* a newbie? What do I have to do, travel back in time to 1991?

I am *so* winning this thread, it's not even funny.

Stacia

David Boyd

May 13, 2005, 5:38:46 PM5/13/05
"Etienne Rouette" <etienne...@sympatico.ca> wrote in news:we7he.41988
$XX1.8...@news20.bellglobal.com:

> I liked the brian eable UNSENET and plankton trolls.

"Razor blade tyres". *snif* Man, those were the days.

--
Dave Boyd
"Sufficient unto the Dave is the evil thereof." MAT 6:34

David DeLaney

May 13, 2005, 5:44:27 PM5/13/05
Etienne Rouette <etienne...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>"Ben Wolfson" <wol...@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> I find myself wanting to read archives of trollings of other groups,
>> but the only one I can ever remember is the time Rose Marie Holt
>> trolled sci.physics about exhaling on a scale. But I know that
>> Beable, Ted Frank, and many more have carried out trollings such as
>> the day itself would quake to look upon. SO IF YOU HELPED ME LOCATE
>> THEM, I would think about giving you a cookie laced with curare.
>
>I liked the brian eable UNSENET and plankton trolls. I think liked the (I
>believe) Gardner S. Trask troll about tomagotchis in airports. I know the
>thread lasted a while anyway.

A long time ago, before Usenet had cooled, trolling was sometimes done -in-
other groups, too. You might try looking for stuff xposted between here and
alt.folklore.urban ...

Dave "because everyone knows light doesn't travel in a vacuum" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Kevin S. Wilson

May 13, 2005, 5:58:19 PM5/13/05

I don't understand why you have to treat Usernet as some kind of
competition rather than the coming together of a like-minded community
that it is, with pink unicorns.

Message has been deleted

Jeremy D. Impson

May 13, 2005, 9:48:36 PM5/13/05
On Fri, 13 May 2005, Glitter Ninja wrote:

> Beable's trolling has always impressed me, not for Beable's content
> (sorry, Tennessee) but for the proof that there are some extremely
> stupid groups of people and they all post to Usenet. When Beable
> started trolling I thought it was a joke. Surely no one in this super
> futuristic year of 1996 would ever get sucked into an all-caps,
> punctuation-filled outright blatant lie, I said.

It was all a super-double-plus reverse meta troll against YOU!

--Jeremy

--

Jeremy Impson
jdimpson can be contacted at acm dot org

rone

May 14, 2005, 4:01:34 AM5/14/05
In article <ql8a81l61c4bos1ud...@4ax.com>,

Kevin S. Wilson <res...@spro.net> wrote:
>I don't understand why you have to treat Usernet as some kind of
>competition rather than the coming together of a like-minded community
>that it is, with pink unicorns.

My father was killed by a herd of pink unicorns, you insensitive prick.

rone
--
I don't rip people off and say it's an "homage". When I rip someone off, I am
proud to admit it's out-and-out plagiarism. - Schwa Love <schw...@yahoo.com>

Principe Zarlino

May 14, 2005, 9:49:25 AM5/14/05
d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote in <slrnd8a89...@gatekeeper.vic.com>:

> A long time ago, before Usenet had cooled, trolling was sometimes done -in-
> other groups, too. You might try looking for stuff xposted between here and
> alt.folklore.urban ...

I always liked this one:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.slack/browse_frm/thread/c85615fcd8154377/63d75db3d9f69a1a#63d75db3d9f69a1a
--
fB

Dean Lenort

May 14, 2005, 11:01:13 AM5/14/05
On Fri, 13 May 2005, sta...@xmission.com (Glitter Ninja) wrote:

> Beable's trolling has always impressed me, not for Beable's content
> (sorry, Tennessee) but for the proof that there are some extremely stupid
> groups of people and they all post to Usenet. When Beable started
> trolling I thought it was a joke. Surely no one in this super futuristic
> year of 1996 would ever get sucked into an all-caps, punctuation-filled
> outright blatant lie, I said.

I don't troll myself, although I do occasionally do it unintentionally as
evidenced by various emails I've gotten over the years in response to
something I've posted to ARK. You know, something so outrageously wrong
that there's no way that anyone with the ability to type even a
semi-coherent sentence could possibly believe it to be true. And yet they
somehow find the post while doing their "research" on something like Animal
57 in space and -bam- I get an email.

> Of course, I'm stupid like that.

We are not alone. BEWARE THE SKIES!

--
Dean Lenort | WITHOUT a through discussion of FINSLER SPACE
dean.lenort | your remarks are incompetent...

Dean Lenort

May 14, 2005, 11:01:12 AM5/14/05
On Fri, 13 May 2005, Ben Wolfson <wol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I find myself wanting to read archives of trollings of other groups,
> but the only one I can ever remember is the time Rose Marie Holt
> trolled sci.physics about exhaling on a scale. But I know that
> Beable, Ted Frank, and many more have carried out trollings such as
> the day itself would quake to look upon. SO IF YOU HELPED ME LOCATE
> THEM, I would think about giving you a cookie laced with curare.

One of the more memorable ones for my money involved almost all of ARK and
even begat the meme "PGP Pikshurs". IIRC Matt McIrvin has an excerpt of
the thread on his Kibology page.

--
Dean Lenort | You really need a dual GHz G4 to fully harness
dean.lenort | the power of cowsay. -- Matt McIrvin

David DeLaney

May 14, 2005, 11:26:57 AM5/14/05
On Sat, 14 May 2005 15:01:13 GMT, Dean Lenort <dean....@att.net> wrote:
>I don't troll myself, although my newsreader does occasionally do it

>unintentionally as evidenced by various emails I've gotten over the years in
>response to something I've posted to ARK.

IFYSFY

>You know, something so outrageously wrong
>that there's no way that anyone with the ability to type even a
>semi-coherent sentence could possibly believe it to be true. And yet they
>somehow find the post while doing their "research" on something like Animal
>57 in space and -bam- I get an email.

Yep. That's the 'art' part of it - exactly how far out can you go and still
get the knee-jerk (p.intended) reactions?

>> Of course, I'm stupid like that.
>
>We are not alone. BEWARE THE SKIES!

Dave "I thought it was watch the skies and beware Mr. Lincoln?" DeLaney

David DeLaney

May 14, 2005, 11:25:10 AM5/14/05
Principe Zarlino <spam...@blameit.net> wrote:

>d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote:
>> A long time ago, before Usenet had cooled, trolling was sometimes done -in-
>> other groups, too. You might try looking for stuff xposted between here and
>> alt.folklore.urban ...
>
>I always liked this one:
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.slack/browse_frm/thread/
c85615fcd8154377/63d75db3d9f69a1a#63d75db3d9f69a1a

Right edge of screen, fell off, killed Spot, wah, etc.

Oddly enough for that time period, I find I'm only in this thread twice...

Dave

Chris McGonnell

May 14, 2005, 12:24:28 PM5/14/05
On 14 May 2005 01:01:34 -0700, rone wrote:

>In article <ql8a81l61c4bos1ud...@4ax.com>,
>Kevin S. Wilson <res...@spro.net> wrote:
>>I don't understand why you have to treat Usernet as some kind of
>>competition rather than the coming together of a like-minded community
>>that it is, with pink unicorns.
>
>My father was killed by a herd of pink unicorns, you insensitive prick.

The pink unicorns are also a dangerous nuisance up here. They rip up
our garbage, strewing it over the lawn and eating the table scraps.
Oh, wait, that's black bears -- never mind.

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.
"McGonnell, welcome to Plonksville, population: You"
-- Stacia

Joseph Michael Bay

May 14, 2005, 2:41:36 PM5/14/05
"rone" <^*&#$@ennui.org> writes:

>In article <ql8a81l61c4bos1ud...@4ax.com>,
>Kevin S. Wilson <res...@spro.net> wrote:
>>I don't understand why you have to treat Usernet as some kind of
>>competition rather than the coming together of a like-minded community
>>that it is, with pink unicorns.

>My father was killed by a herd of pink unicorns, you insensitive prick.

Lucky. Most of my family was killed by pink unicorns, and I have
serious psychic scarring as well as a punctured lung (from the horn).

--
Chimes peal joy. Bah. Joseph Michael Bay
Icy colon barge Cancer Biology

Rich Holmes

May 15, 2005, 10:15:38 PM5/15/05
dogsnus <dog...@micron.net> writes:

> Rich's meme page of course:
> http://web.syr.edu/~rsholmes/doctroid/firstmemes.html

ITYM <http://www.richholmes.net/doctroid/firstmemes.html>. Newly
decanadianized, now that our northerly neighbors have decided to
welcome our alien user interface overlords.

--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes <http://www.richholmes.net/doctroid/>

"Maybe I should ask sane people." -- Dag ]gren

Rich Holmes

May 15, 2005, 10:27:27 PM5/15/05
d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) writes:

> On Sat, 14 May 2005 15:01:13 GMT, Dean Lenort <dean....@att.net> wrote:

> >You know, something so outrageously wrong
> >that there's no way that anyone with the ability to type even a
> >semi-coherent sentence could possibly believe it to be true. And yet they
> >somehow find the post while doing their "research" on something like Animal
> >57 in space and -bam- I get an email.
>
> Yep. That's the 'art' part of it - exactly how far out can you go and still
> get the knee-jerk (p.intended) reactions?

Every once in a while I get email from someone who's read this:

<http://www.richholmes.net/doctroid/best/dst.html>

and wants to get me to sign onto their anti-Daylight Savings Time
campaign, or to interview me because they're a reporter who's been
assigned to write a feature about DST; or from someone who's read:

<http://www.richholmes.net/even_primes.html>

and needs to indignantly point out that there's an error in the proof.

Tim Chmielewski

May 15, 2005, 11:47:59 PM5/15/05
Dean Lenort <dean....@att.net> wrote in

> And yet
> they somehow find the post while doing their "research" on something
> like Animal 57 in space and -bam- I get an email.

What I want to know is whatever happened to animals 1 through 56 and why
hasn't someone trolled PETA about it?

My Dad trolls people in real life (he reckons once he did it on purpose so
the person would direct their anger towards him and not their extended
family.)

Also one of my parents' friends used to stack all the shoes on the back
door step when we weren't home and they visited.

My Mum is much smarter than I am as she got better marks than me at
university when we used to go to the same campus at the same time.

Thansk.

--
GIT Groupie : http://gitgroupie.timchuma.com
The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com