Name That Kibologist!

kerri

Jan 14, 2004, 7:14:06 PM1/14/04
And now for a new feature! Every (insert interval here), I'll post a
self-taken picture of a kibologist. It is your job to guess who it is.

While there are a few kibologists lined up to participate, everyone is
invited and encouraged to participate. I'm the only one who will know who's
whom, and won't tell until either the subject of the picture 'fesses up,
or a week after the picture is posted. Or something. (I hate rules.) So
SEND ME a picture of you! Please keep it to 100k. The picture must
include at least one of your body parts that is currently attached to
your body (preferably not, you know, anything FNARRable -- this is a
family show). Include whatever else you want, to either give hints or
throw people off the track. Heh.

Our first victim?

http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk1.jpg

Who is it? AND WHY?

--kerri

Whosetitanelbow

Jan 14, 2004, 7:50:37 PM1/14/04
kerr...@hotmail.com (kerri) schreef in
berichtnieuws...news:bu4m0e$dskr5$1...@ID-202298.news.uni-berlin.de:

> Our first victim?
>
> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk1.jpg
>
> Who is it? AND WHY?

I don't think it's Kibo because there's an Ipod in there. Silver

--
"So the gamers and the scammers say it's the fault of the critics who tried
to carve through the mumbo-jumbo in the first place." -- Josh Marshall

Ben Wolfson

Jan 14, 2004, 9:33:20 PM1/14/04
In article <bu4m0e$dskr5$1...@ID-202298.news.uni-berlin.de>, kerri wrote:
>And now for a new feature! Every (insert interval here), I'll post a
>self-taken picture of a kibologist. It is your job to guess who it is.
>
>While there are a few kibologists lined up to participate, everyone is
>invited and encouraged to participate. I'm the only one who will know who's
>whom

Who IS whom?

--
BTR
The Glass Marble, mistaking the No. 37 Penpoint for the Four-Holed

The Avocado Avenger

Jan 14, 2004, 10:19:18 PM1/14/04
kerri wrote:

> And now for a new feature! Every (insert interval here), I'll post a
> self-taken picture of a kibologist. It is your job to guess who it is.

It won't be me because I don't even know who the fuck you are.

That was fun. Now that the game's over, can we have cookies and
punch?

Stacia

Ben Wolfson

Jan 14, 2004, 10:51:37 PM1/14/04

That's not punch, it's my liquefied fist.

Chris Costello

Jan 15, 2004, 12:54:47 AM1/15/04
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:14:06 +0000, kerri wrote:
> Who is it? AND WHY?

I can't tell you who it is, but I can tell you who it ain't! And odds
are, I'm right!

--
Chris Costello <ch...@FreeBSD.org>!

CM

Jan 15, 2004, 1:28:37 AM1/15/04

"kerri" <kerr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

[snup]

> Our first victim?
>
> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk1.jpg
>
> Who is it? AND WHY?
>
> --kerri

It's the same bas-turd who has stolen my SHOES! GIVE ME BACK MY BLOODY SHOES
YOU ARSEHOLE....hang on, I've still got my shoes on.

Sorry, I have no idea who it is.

bye,
maso

Mark Hill

Jan 15, 2004, 2:07:11 AM1/15/04
Ben Wolfson wrote:

> In article <bu4m0e$dskr5$1...@ID-202298.news.uni-berlin.de>, kerri wrote:
>
>>And now for a new feature! Every (insert interval here), I'll post a
>>self-taken picture of a kibologist. It is your job to guess who it is.
>>
>>While there are a few kibologists lined up to participate, everyone is
>>invited and encouraged to participate. I'm the only one who will know who's
>>whom
>

> Who IS whom?

Linguo IS dead.

David Bromage

Jan 15, 2004, 2:19:56 AM1/15/04
Chris Costello wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:14:06 +0000, kerri wrote:
>
>>Who is it? AND WHY?
>
> I can't tell you who it is, but I can tell you who it ain't! And odds
> are, I'm right!

I can rule out a few more people for you. It's not William Shatner, Bob
Hope, Saddam Hussein, Oliver Cromwell, Pope Gregory IX, the guy who sold
me a sandwich at lunchtime or Elmer Fudd.

Cheers
David

Darla Vladschyk

Jan 15, 2004, 8:26:49 AM1/15/04

>"kerri" <kerr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>[snup]
>

>> Our first victim?
>>
>> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk1.jpg
>>
>> Who is it? AND WHY?

it's jwgh.

because he lurvs you.

-=d=-

Nicko

Jan 15, 2004, 9:27:05 AM1/15/04
kerr...@hotmail.com (kerri) wrote in message news:<bu4m0e$dskr5$1...@ID-202298.news.uni-berlin.de>...

> And now for a new feature! Every (insert interval here), I'll post a
> self-taken picture of a kibologist. It is your job to guess who it is.

> Our first victim?
>
> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk1.jpg
>
> Who is it? AND WHY?

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAINS!

--
YOP...

Captain Infinity

Jan 15, 2004, 9:44:44 AM1/15/04
Once Upon A Time kerri wrote:

>Our first victim?
>
>http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk1.jpg
>
>Who is it? AND WHY?

It's a trick! That's no Kibologist! That man is wearing pants!!

**
Captain Infinity
..."What Would Worm Wrestle Do?" teaches me to solve
all life's problems by whirring around real fast
and flying under the couch. --Kibo

Rich Holmes

Jan 15, 2004, 11:26:06 AM1/15/04
Captain Infinity <Infi...@world.std.com> writes:

> It's a trick! That's no Kibologist! That man is wearing pants!!

Encyclopedia Brown knew Captain Infinity was lying. How did he know?

ANSWER:

If the mystery Kibologist (MK) was wearing pants, how did Captain
Infinity know he (the MK) was a man?

Actually I think (see the IFAQ) pants are forbidden only while
actually posting, and even then they may be allowable under certain
conditions, e.g. when the temperature in Syracuse goes below -16F. In
addition, we don't know that the MK was wearing pants, only that he
had pant legs covering his own legs from the knees down, on at least
one side.

The MK has (or at any rate is positioned in close proximity to) an
iPod, a PowerBook, and an Epson printer, possibly a Stylus Color 740.
If that's a tower computer on the floor on the left, I can't ID it.
He or she is wearing what look like warm socks (on at least one side)
and maso's shoes. Men's size about eight, it looks to me, or the
women's equivalent size.

These clues are there for all to read, and they make it plain that the
MK is none other than

[message interrupted by the sudden appearance of a blowgun dart,
tipped with curare, sticking into my windpipe, on at least one side.]

--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes <http://www.richholmes.net/doctroid/>
"You are standing in a large vat of wrong, which is being rapidly

kerri

Jan 15, 2004, 11:52:36 AM1/15/04
The Avocado Avenger <sta...@io.com> wrote:

> It won't be me because I don't even know who the fuck you are.
>
> That was fun. Now that the game's over, can we have cookies and
> punch?

Yes.

--kerri

Beable van Polasm

Jan 15, 2004, 12:37:09 PM1/15/04
kerr...@hotmail.com (kerri) writes:

OCH! Hoo could ye SAY that lassie? Ye be so cruel! Colder than
the water at the bottom of Loch Ness.

--
===KOOKIE===KUTTER===KOOKIE===KUTTER===KOOKIE===KUTTER===KOOKIE===KUTTER===KOOK
IE===KUTTER===KOOKIE===KUTTER=http://beable.com===KOOKIE===KUTTER===KOOKIE===KU
TTER===KOOKIE===KUTTER===KOOKIE===KUTTER===KOOKIE===KUTTER===KOOKIE===KUTTER===
KOOKIE===KUTTER===KOOKIE===KUTTER===KOOKIE===KUTTER===KOOKIE===KUTTER===KOOKIE=

Jeremy D. Impson

Jan 15, 2004, 4:09:55 PM1/15/04
On 15 Jan 2004, kerri wrote:

> And now for a new feature! Every (insert interval here), I'll post a
> self-taken picture of a kibologist. It is your job to guess who it is.

[...]

> Our first victim?
>
> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk1.jpg
>
> Who is it? AND WHY?

Those window curtains and that coffee table look familiar. I bet an
exhaustive search of known Kibologist web pages would reveal the Answer!

--Jeremy

--

Jeremy Impson
jdimpson can be contacted at acm dot org

David DeLaney

Jan 16, 2004, 12:44:38 AM1/16/04
Chris Costello <ch...@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> I can't tell you who it is, but I can tell you who it ain't! And odds
>are, I'm right!

It occurs to me that it might be dangerous saying "odds are" when you were in
fact surrounded by odds.

Dave "sort of like bra-ket jokes while moving through Hilbert space" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

James Vandenberg

Jan 16, 2004, 5:15:47 AM1/16/04
David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
> Chris Costello <ch...@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> I can't tell you who it is, but I can tell you who it ain't! And odds
>>are, I'm right!

> It occurs to me that it might be dangerous saying "odds are" when you were in
> fact surrounded by odds.

Even if you are odd yourself?

Ja-even-times,-odd-is-odd-mes
James Vandenberg Email: james at vandenberg.dropbear.id.au
GPG FP= 65AB 179A D884 EDC6 216D FE6A 6833 02BC 4425 4F70
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur. ICQ: 151135390
Beware! Sometimes forks and candles fall from the sky.

Madge

Jan 16, 2004, 6:38:41 PM1/16/04
Jeremy D. Impson wrote:

> On 15 Jan 2004, kerri wrote:
>
> > And now for a new feature! Every (insert interval here), I'll post a
> > self-taken picture of a kibologist. It is your job to guess who it is.
>
> [...]
>
> > Our first victim?
> >
> > http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk1.jpg
> >
> > Who is it? AND WHY?
>
> Those window curtains and that coffee table look familiar. I bet an
> exhaustive search of known Kibologist web pages would reveal the Answer!
>
> --Jeremy

So you're into Interior Design now are you Jeremy?

--
Yeh really funny ... not.

http://s90164047.onlinehome.us/funstuff/whatswrong/whatswrong.htm

robert lindsay

Jan 16, 2004, 9:28:51 PM1/16/04
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:14:06 +0000, kerri wrote:

it's jake's laptop & ipod, but kibologist guys don't have curtains, an
those feet aren't big enough to be a guys, so it's kerri

al fansome

Jan 16, 2004, 11:07:15 PM1/16/04
kerr...@hotmail.com (kerri) wrote in message news:<bu4m0e$dskr5$1...@ID-202298.news.uni-berlin.de>...

Maybe somebody with the initials NTK?

> --kerri

Jeremy D. Impson

Jan 17, 2004, 3:00:18 PM1/17/04
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Madge wrote:

> Jeremy D. Impson wrote:
> >
> > On 15 Jan 2004, kerri wrote:

[..]

> > > Our first victim?
> > >
> > > http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk1.jpg
> > >
> > > Who is it? AND WHY?
> >
> > Those window curtains and that coffee table look familiar. I bet an
> > exhaustive search of known Kibologist web pages would reveal the Answer!
>

> So you're into Interior Design now are you Jeremy?

My interior is designed as well as our mystery Kibologist's is, i.e. not
at all, i.e. standard rented-apartment white.

David DeLaney

Jan 17, 2004, 8:06:59 PM1/17/04
James Vandenberg <ja...@vandenberg.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
>David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>> Chris Costello <ch...@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>> I can't tell you who it is, but I can tell you who it ain't! And odds
>>>are, I'm right!
>
>> It occurs to me that it might be dangerous saying "odds are" when you were in
>> fact surrounded by odds.
>
>Even if you are odd yourself?

Especially then.

>Ja-even-times,-odd-is-odd-mes

Dave "you are bosley and I claim your numberline" DeLaney

kerri

Jan 17, 2004, 9:36:55 PM1/17/04
It's time now for the second installment of NAME THAT KIBOLOGIST. The
subject of this photo writes that there are CLUES in the photo, so
SMARTER kibologists should beable to figure it out. I had no clue.
Surprise surprise.

Aaaanyway. Here it is.

http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk2.jpg

MYSTERY KIBOLOGIST NUMBER ONE should probably reveal his or her identity
now, and perhaps bestow some sort of accolades upon the person or
persons who may have guessed correctly, if in fact anyone did. Or
something. I haven't gotten the hang of the reward phase yet. Probably
never will.

--kerri

Captain Infinity

Jan 17, 2004, 9:44:08 PM1/17/04
Once Upon A Summertime, Just A Dream From Yesterday
kerri wrote:

>I haven't gotten the hang of the reward phase yet. Probably
>never will.

PEZ!

**
Captain Infinity
...it's 10:00 ...do you know where your pants are?

The Big Black Dude

Jan 17, 2004, 10:44:30 PM1/17/04

> It's time now for the second installment of NAME THAT KIBOLOGIST. The
> subject of this photo writes that there are CLUES in the photo, so
> SMARTER kibologists should beable to figure it out. I had no clue.
> Surprise surprise.

Mr Swilson, because they appeear to be timetables on the wall, and the
office has a very sterile look like a uni. Also, calculator, highliter for
correcting papers and office supplies. No one who accesses at home has
office supplies.

Watch how wrong I am.

--
CLans
"Maybe a different country...Mexico, I like Mexico! Or maybe Cancun!"

Glenn Knickerbocker

Jan 18, 2004, 12:01:38 AM1/18/04
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:44:30 GMT, The Big Black Dude wrote:
>Mr Swilson, because they appeear to be timetables on the wall, and the
>office has a very sterile look like a uni.

No university in Lower Americana would have office furniture anywhere
near that modern. Also, the charts on the wall seem to describe horrors
of Microsoft Access that no mere tech writer could endure.

Also also the stapler maybe a Swingline but is not either of Buettner's.

Joe Bay: "Yeah, I raised the price of that bizarre pervert
Stanford University magazine you like to fifty bucks. And
we're the Dept. of Cancer Biology--only store that carries
it." ||| http://users.bestweb.net/~notr/cosmic.html ||| ¬R

Jacob W. Haller

Jan 18, 2004, 3:04:10 PM1/18/04
kerri <kerr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk1.jpg

As some people figured out, this is ME ME ME! Darla was the first
person to post the correct answer, so SHE WINS! I'm not sure what, but
maybe I could write a short poem or essay on the subject of her choice.
Let me know!

I give Rich Holmes big props for correctly identifying a lot of the junk
in that picture. Here is a quick inventory, roughly from left to right:

* On the very left edge of the picture, we see a tiny bit of my exercies
bike and a somewhat larger chunk of a tray table.

* On the table itself (which is a smallish but serviceable dining table
and not a coffee table as some thought), we have a rolled-up bag which
used to contain corn chips. In front of that is a pedometer, and in
front of that are the rechargeable batteries for my digital camera.

* Next over, we have my Epson Stylus Color 740 printer (correctly
identified by the Doctroid). A page with some notes from a phone
meeting lie on the tray. In front of that is a pen, my checkbook, and
some scissors.

* Next over, we have my left foot, encased in a nice warm Smart Wool
sock from L.L. Bean and a size 9 1/2 Dunham shoe. (My feet are quite
stubby, though not quite as small as some people in this thread seemed
to think they were.)

* Next there's my Apple Titanium 500 MHz G4 Powerbook. On the screen
are iTunes and Savitar, which is the program I use to connect to ArkMOO.
In the background you can barely see the top of a woofer, on top of
which is some white card stock.

* Just to the right of that, you can see part of a tape measure and a
small speaker behind my right foot, which I will forbear to describe as
it is basically the same as my left foot described above (except
opposite). You can also see one end of a power strip with the white
plug to my iPod plugged into it.

* Next we have a mouse pad and small two-button mouse, behind which is
the plastic top to a spool of blank CDs.

* Next there's a cordless phone, an Iomega CD burner and my iPod, which
is sitting on an annotated copy of the lyrics to 'Pigskin Loofah'. In
front of that is a small container of Reese's Pieces, a yellos
bottlecap, and some correspondence from my bank.

* On the floor at the right hand of the screen is a pile of old
magazines in a box. I think someone thought this might be a computer.
A 'Pizza Pier' delivery bag lies on the floor in front of it, and you
can see a small bit of the fan that is in my dining room for no
particular reason.

And that's what was on my desk a couple of days ago. Wasn't that
fascinating?

-jwgh

--
"I don't advocate responding to rudeness with rudeness, but inducing
fear is always a good option."

Kevin S. Wilson

Jan 18, 2004, 3:18:49 PM1/18/04

Oh, I see. So it works just like one of Kibo's contests.

BTW, I don't care how many pictures you post or what the rewards might
be, I am not going to re-read all of those "what's on my desk" posts.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

Kevin S. Wilson

Jan 18, 2004, 3:23:37 PM1/18/04
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:01:38 -0500, Glenn Knickerbocker
<No...@bestweb.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:44:30 GMT, The Big Black Dude wrote:
>>Mr Swilson, because they appeear to be timetables on the wall, and the
>>office has a very sterile look like a uni.
>
>No university in Lower Americana would have office furniture anywhere
>near that modern.

For the most part, I agree. However, don't tell the people at the
Steelcase Corporation. I recently sat through a 2-hour presentation by
Steelcase about the "learning environments" of the future. It's all
about mobility and multi-functionality, baybee. A noted Kibologist
cancer researcher might very well have his ass parked in some of that
high-tech furniture right now, if Steelcase is to be believed.

> Also, the charts on the wall seem to describe horrors
>of Microsoft Access that no mere tech writer could endure.

Mere? If your VCR isn't blinking 12:00, thank a tech writer.

>Also also the stapler maybe a Swingline but is not either of Buettner's.
>
>Joe Bay: "Yeah, I raised the price of that bizarre pervert
>Stanford University magazine you like to fifty bucks. And
>we're the Dept. of Cancer Biology--only store that carries
>it." ||| http://users.bestweb.net/~notr/cosmic.html ||| ¬R

What a coincidence.

Bryce Utting

Jan 18, 2004, 4:23:39 PM1/18/04
Jacob W. Haller <yo...@jwgh.org> wrote:
> kerri <kerr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk1.jpg
>
> As some people figured out, this is ME ME ME! Darla was the first
> person to post the correct answer, so SHE WINS! I'm not sure what, but
> maybe I could write a short poem or essay on the subject of her choice.
> Let me know!

wah! I wuz too late with my guess, which would have been Rich Holmes.
(that work area looks like the one a Man of the House might get
banished to when the Woman of the House sez Get This Damn Mess Out Of
My Sight. I didt'n think you -had- a Woman of the House, unless I've
lost track again?)

> I give Rich Holmes big props for correctly identifying a lot of the junk
> in that picture.

... and thus he would have successfully meta-trolled me by making me
think he was bluffing about a picture not of him was in fact -not- of
him. I've resolved to THINK THINK THINK before posting about him, in
case he does it again.

which is why I'm not gonna guess about this NEW one, on account of
what looks like a picture of aunciunt computer equipment top left.

butting

Rich Holmes

Jan 18, 2004, 5:09:36 PM1/18/04
yo...@jwgh.org (Jacob W. Haller) writes:

> * Next over, we have my left foot, encased in a nice warm Smart Wool
> sock from L.L. Bean and a size 9 1/2 Dunham shoe.

9 1/2? I didn't know Dunhams came in EEEEEEE.

TimC

Jan 18, 2004, 6:50:15 PM1/18/04
Kevin S Wilson (aka Bruce) was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:01:38 -0500, Glenn Knickerbocker
> <No...@bestweb.net> wrote:
>> Also, the charts on the wall seem to describe horrors
>>of Microsoft Access that no mere tech writer could endure.
>
> Mere? If your VCR isn't blinking 12:00, thank a tech writer.

My VCR is so self evident that it is obvious how to program the clock
without reading the manual. In fact, I hardly ever read the manual,
yet I rarely break things. So ner!

VBScript is designed to be a secure programming environment. It
lacks various commands that can be potentially damaging if used in
a malicious manner. This added security is critical in enterprise
solutions. -- support.microsoft.com

David DeLaney

Jan 18, 2004, 10:39:01 PM1/18/04
Jacob W. Haller <yo...@jwgh.org> wrote:
>I give Rich Holmes big props for correctly identifying a lot of the junk
>in that picture. Here is a quick inventory, roughly from left to right:

this variant of the What's On My Desk(Top('s Background/Barcalounger)) is
Approved for use by ark-ians

that is all

revjack

Jan 18, 2004, 9:09:30 PM1/18/04
Kevin S. Wilson <res...@spro.net> wrote:

: Mere? If your VCR isn't blinking 12:00, thank a tech writer.

Sure. Just thank the application developers first.

--
___________________
rev...@revjack.net

Darla Vladschyk

Jan 18, 2004, 9:24:50 PM1/18/04
yo...@jwgh.org (Jacob W. Haller) wrote:

>kerri <kerr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk1.jpg
>
>As some people figured out, this is ME ME ME! Darla was the first
>person to post the correct answer, so SHE WINS! I'm not sure what, but
>maybe I could write a short poem or essay on the subject of her choice.
>Let me know!

Yes! Yes!! A poem about the medieval Albigensians would be
delightful! Feel free to reference the 1181 chronicler Geoffroy de
Vigeois. A sonnet perhaps--- no--- a pantoum!

Ahhhh, I can't wait!

Delightedly your identifier...
-=Darla=-
(PS: It was the rolled trousers. They sibilantly whispered
"Wizzzzard" to me.)

Darla Vladschyk

Jan 19, 2004, 7:28:19 AM1/19/04
aswe...@midway.uchicago.edu (Plorkwort) wrote:

>The heretics of Southern France... <snip pantoum>

<long exhalation of breath> Whoooooooooo. You are gooooooood.

That was a pleasure and a privilege, madam. Your honours degree is
showing!

Thanks!

-=Darla=-

Paula

Jan 19, 2004, 1:29:05 PM1/19/04
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:59:49 -0500, bar...@bookpro.com wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 02:24:50 GMT, DarlaVl...@hotmail.com (Darla
>Vladschyk ) wrote:
>
>>(PS: It was the rolled trousers. They sibilantly whispered
>>"Wizzzzard" to me.)
>

>D'oh! I was thinking "T.S. Eliot," but I was pretty sure he's dead.

I think he has been reincarnated as lcrl, if you have to choose a live
kibologist.

--
Paula
"France is in the abstract. Remember, we agreed the entire EU belongs

B. Chas Parisher

Jan 19, 2004, 2:37:33 PM1/19/04
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 05:12:49 GMT, Plorkwort was all like:
> The heretics of Southern France
[snip]
> To name the unknown Kibologist!

/me genuflects in Plorkwort's general direction.

Bravo!

--B. Chas Parisher

Bryce Utting

Jan 19, 2004, 3:30:25 PM1/19/04
Plorkwort <aswe...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Without baptism of spirit and fire
> The sprit returns to the earth
> And would only rise out of the mire
> After transmigration and rebirth.
>
> The spirit returns to the earth,
> And as Darla, perhaps, does exist
> After transmigration and rebirth,

> To name the unknown Kibologist!

prosody is a dangerous weapon and is not to be used for potentially
hazardous situations, eg., teasing arkboyz into thinking they're being
fl1rted with. otherwise, TWO THUMBS AND THREE BIG TOES UP!!@!

butting

Jacob W. Haller

Jan 20, 2004, 8:58:37 PM1/20/04
Darla Vladschyk <DarlaVl...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yes! Yes!! A poem about the medieval Albigensians would be
> delightful! Feel free to reference the 1181 chronicler Geoffroy de
> Vigeois. A sonnet perhaps--- no--- a pantoum!
>
> Ahhhh, I can't wait!

Clearly, I need more practice doing these and am no Plorkwort.

However, I note that the impulse to rhyme 'pants' with 'France' is very
difficult to resist.

Anyway, here you go:

THE MEDIEVAL ALBIGENSIANS:
A PANTOUM THAT HAS ALMOST NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM

by Jacob Haller
Certified Sensitive Poet

Darla Vladschyk this poem did request.
It's perhaps an unfortunate tale.
To write poems I'll essay my best,
I must try, though I'll most likely fail.

It's perhaps an unfortunate tale,
The sad tale of the Cathars in France.
I must try, though I'll most likely fail,
To recite it while wearing no pants.

The sad tale of the Cathars in France:
The inquisitors showed them a tract:
To recite it while wearing no pants
Was the task they must do or be wracked.

The inquisitors showed them a tract
of some land, only six feet by two;
Was the task they must do or be wracked
to recant, or to bribe them anew?

Of some land, only six feet by two,
I will speak of no more, ARKChycks fair.
To recant, or to bribe them anew,
I've no choice; this is all that I dare.

I will speak of no more ARKChycks fair:
Quite unworthy am I of your praise.
I've no choice; this is all that I dare.
My one hope is to go out in a blaze.

Quite unworthy am I of your praise,
To write poems I'll essay my best.
My one hope is to go out in a blaze:
Darla Vladschyk this poem did request.

Darla Vladschyk

Jan 20, 2004, 11:53:24 PM1/20/04
yo...@jwgh.org (Jacob W. Haller) wrote:

>THE MEDIEVAL ALBIGENSIANS:
> A PANTOUM THAT HAS ALMOST NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM
>
> by Jacob Haller
> Certified Sensitive Poet

<snippage>

Bravo, BRAVO!!! A splendid effort, Wizard, and more than worthy of
my archive--- as would have been a GIF of you reading it, pantsless.

I would be willing to bet I am in rare company indeed, who has TWO
pantoums concerning the god-rotting Albigensians on file and at the
ready.

Thank you both, again, for your much-appreciated poesy.

-=D=-

kerri

Jan 21, 2004, 9:43:57 PM1/21/04
It is time again. Time for MYSTERY KIBOLOGIST NUMBER TWO to reveal
his/her identity, and also to sally forth with an offering to the first,
best, and/or correctest guesser.

I think something funny even happened with that one.

SO! Here is the EXCITING NUMBER THREE!!!

http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk3.jpg

There's a lot to look at in this picture.

--kerri

Glenn Knickerbocker

Jan 21, 2004, 10:20:53 PM1/21/04
On 22 Jan 2004 02:43:57 GMT, kerri wrote:
>http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk3.jpg

OK, I can't make out the sprog photos, and I don't recognize the shoes,
but: Myst, Diablo, Baldur's Gate, all with version numbers in the names,
a half-empty bottle, simplicity of furniture, and no work anywhere in
sight has all got me thinking robert. Dunno where Ansel Adams or whoever
that is fits in, though.

ŹR http://users.bestweb.net/~notr/cats "Would you like to watch a movie
about George Wendt while eating Chinese food with a cat?" --Andy Simmons

Bryce Utting

Jan 22, 2004, 3:25:45 AM1/22/04
kerri <kerr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is time again. Time for MYSTERY KIBOLOGIST NUMBER TWO to reveal
> his/her identity, and also to sally forth with an offering to the first,
> best, and/or correctest guesser.

based on (CAPITALS for GIVEAWAY clues):

* PDP11/45 PICCY (DUH!)

* diagrammatic Access schema nightmares

* relief map of Franklin District

* mostly-empty glass of Coke

* Emacs and colour-coded rxvt windows

* Trinitron monitor, brand-new 3GHz HP, and 1991-VINTAGE NEC POWERMATE
KEYBOARD

* MINIATURE WAKKO

* web-friendly colourspace piccy

* Split Enz CD hidden in PLAIN VIEW (the red block at the top of the
spine's a giveaway that it's a Mushroom CD at very least)

I'd have to say ME ME ME!!1!, and no-one wins the prize, though Clans
wins the Technical S. Writer Apostrophical Memorium award for getting
me and Kevin S. Wil'son mixed up. YAY CLANS! --BUT!

shortly after I posted:

:
: ... and thus he would have successfully meta-trolled me by making me

: think he was bluffing about a picture not of him was in fact -not- of
: him. I've resolved to THINK THINK THINK before posting about him, in
: case he does it again.
:
: which is why I'm not gonna guess about this NEW one, on account of
: what looks like a picture of aunciunt computer equipment top left.

a SURPRISE KIBOLOGIST stepped forward in email:

| wah! I was just about to guess it was you because of that ancient computer
| ad.

step forward, SURPRISE KIBOLOGIST!

(I think I need an opinion from the panel as to the level of
difficulty there.)

> SO! Here is the EXCITING NUMBER THREE!!!
>
> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk3.jpg

that is SO NOT Rich Holmes.

butting

Rich Holmes

Jan 22, 2004, 9:42:32 AM1/22/04
kerr...@hotmail.com (kerri) writes:

> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk3.jpg

If nothing else comes of this exercise, we're gonna become famous for
knowing more about each other's footwear than any other newsgroup.

> There's a lot to look at in this picture.

None of it much of any use.

<guess ass="wild">lcrl? Is that you?</guess>

Jacob W. Haller

Jan 22, 2004, 10:22:48 AM1/22/04
kerri <kerr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk3.jpg
>
> There's a lot to look at in this picture.

There is! So even though I have no idea who it is I will make some
observations.

* Empty bottle of IBC root beer! Or is it an actual beer bottle?

* The spots of salt on the boots indicate to me someone who lives in
NORTHERN CLIMES where it snows and then salt gets put out to melt the
snow! Unfortunately, this year 'Northern Climes' means north of
Florida.

* SmartMedia card reader. Hmmmm.

* Is that an egg timer?

* I wish I could see more of that wall calendar.

* NOT A MAC.

I'm going to go COMPLETELY out on a limb here and say: BARBARA?

Tamara

Jan 22, 2004, 10:58:42 AM1/22/04
"Jacob W. Haller" <yo...@jwgh.org> wrote in message

> kerri <kerr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk3.jpg
> >
> > There's a lot to look at in this picture.
>
> There is! So even though I have no idea who it is I will make some
> observations.
>
> * Empty bottle of IBC root beer! Or is it an actual beer bottle?
>
> * The spots of salt on the boots indicate to me someone who lives in
> NORTHERN CLIMES where it snows and then salt gets put out to melt the
> snow! Unfortunately, this year 'Northern Climes' means north of
> Florida.
>
> * SmartMedia card reader. Hmmmm.
>
> * Is that an egg timer?
>
> * I wish I could see more of that wall calendar.
>
> * NOT A MAC.
>
> I'm going to go COMPLETELY out on a limb here and say: BARBARA?

Whew! I was certain you were gonna say it is a picture of me.

~T (my feet are a lot smaller)

Rich Holmes

Jan 22, 2004, 11:45:34 AM1/22/04
"Tamara" <tamaraharris@rogers-removethis-.com> writes:

> "Jacob W. Haller" <yo...@jwgh.org> wrote in message
>

> > I'm going to go COMPLETELY out on a limb here and say: BARBARA?
>
> Whew! I was certain you were gonna say it is a picture of me.
>
> ~T (my feet are a lot smaller)

So what you're saying is, Barbara has big feet?

Rich Holmes

Jan 22, 2004, 11:57:15 AM1/22/04
yo...@jwgh.org (Jacob W. Haller) writes:

> * Empty bottle of IBC root beer! Or is it an actual beer bottle?

Negative on the IBC. Check the left limb of the bottle: there's a
label.

> * The spots of salt on the boots indicate to me someone who lives in
> NORTHERN CLIMES where it snows and then salt gets put out to melt the
> snow!

Salt? I see dirt/mud.

> Unfortunately, this year 'Northern Climes' means north of
> Florida.

This theory is cursed, because the Town of Albion (indeed, I believe,
all of Oswego County) is sand, not salt, territory. Those who have
difficulty telling Oswego and Onondaga Counties apart, remember:
Oswego = sand, Onondaga = salt. This is why Syracuse is known as the
Salt City.

So what I'm sayin' is, you could rule out me, as a resident of Albion,
if it weren't for the fact that I work in Syracuse. And if the "salt"
weren't mud.

> * SmartMedia card reader. Hmmmm.
>
> * Is that an egg timer?
>
> * I wish I could see more of that wall calendar.

Hurr, hurr.

> * NOT A MAC.

There's more to notice:

* Candles in votive glasses and jars

* Work surface appears to be an ex lab bench

* Torchiere lamp

* Picture on left of tryptich is AN EYE

* Blue dragon on monitor

> I'm going to go COMPLETELY out on a limb here and say: BARBARA?

This ain't no chyk.

Jeremy D. Impson

Jan 23, 2004, 1:07:16 PM1/23/04
On 22 Jan 2004, kerri wrote:

> SO! Here is the EXCITING NUMBER THREE!!!
>
> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk3.jpg
>
> There's a lot to look at in this picture.

lcrl.

--Jeremy

--

Jeremy Impson
jdimpson can be contacted at acm dot org
http://impson.tzo.com/~jdimpson

kerri

Jan 23, 2004, 3:17:35 PM1/23/04
We're PICKIN' UP THE PACE, folks!

Mystery 'Kibologist' number three should STEP UP now and 'FESS UP about
those boots. Give something to whomever guessed rightest or firstest or
what the hell ever you want. Just GIVE SOMETHING.

And number four! Rarin' to go!

http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk4.jpg

Not quite as many CLUES in this one, but it sure leaves the playing field
open for creativity. Or something.

--kerri

Rich Holmes

Jan 23, 2004, 3:32:08 PM1/23/04
kerr...@hotmail.com (kerri) writes:

> And number four! Rarin' to go!
>
> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk4.jpg

OBVIOUSLY Doctroid Holmes.

revjack

Jan 23, 2004, 3:42:09 PM1/23/04
kerri <kerr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

: Mystery 'Kibologist' number three should STEP UP now and 'FESS UP about

: those boots. Give something to whomever guessed rightest or firstest or
: what the hell ever you want. Just GIVE SOMETHING.

Trick question! RevJack is not a Kibologist! So, burn on
alla youse!

Yes, that's road salt on the boots, it snowed here in Mary
Land and the road krewes go nuts with the stuff.

Egg timer is because the kids fight over computer time, so I
solved it in the usual way -- "Work something out between
yourselves or I will sell you to the scientists." They came
up with the egg timer idea.

SmartMedia card, check. For the digicam. Also Palm cradle.

I'm surprised no one recognises what's on the screen, you
being Kibologists and all.

Ansel Adams calendar, gift from my Da.

Work surface is in fact a thick solid wood interior door,
with several layers of heavy duty gloss black paint. Almost
a lab bench, good guess.

Game books because they came with the games, and I can't
bring myself to throw them out.

Paper cup over the webcam, because, paranoid.

OK THAT WAS FUN. Who's next?

: And number four! Rarin' to go!

: http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk4.jpg

BUTTING.

--
___________________
rev...@revjack.net

Jeremy D. Impson

Jan 23, 2004, 4:00:16 PM1/23/04

Ben Allard.

Glenn Knickerbocker

Jan 23, 2004, 4:06:01 PM1/23/04
revjack wrote:
> I'm surprised no one recognises what's on the screen, you
> being Kibologists and all.

I was going to say it looked awfully familiar, but I was embarrassed not
to be able to place it. I still am, possibly even moreso now.

--Not R

Glenn Knickerbocker

Jan 23, 2004, 4:19:19 PM1/23/04
kerri wrote:
> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk4.jpg

Gotta be Manfire nursing his bleeding fingers.

Bryce Utting

Jan 23, 2004, 5:19:31 PM1/23/04
revjack <rev...@revjack.net> wrote:
> I'm surprised no one recognises what's on the screen, you
> being Kibologists and all.

D'OH.

and I was even wondering (a) who'd use that colour scheme on a
spreadsheet, and (b) just why a spreadsheet was being viewed inside a
browser.

I are not leet.

>: And number four! Rarin' to go!
>
>: http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk4.jpg
>
> BUTTING.

come ON, even *I* know that hitch-hiking indoors DUZZINT WORK.

'sides, those fingers are too short, and the wrist's too thick, and
the thumb's all wrong for me, and it's summer here now so I've nearly
got a tan.

so:

(1) trying to hitch-hike inside
(2) stubby

:. either a drummer or an Austrian.

(3) northern hemisphere (not from Austria or Enn Zed)

the chorus of MY HEART IS A MONARCHY sez that drummer's hand is
Talysman's.

butting

Bryce Utting

Jan 23, 2004, 7:44:47 PM1/23/04
Rich Holmes <rsholme...@mailbox.syr.edu> wrote:
>> And number four! Rarin' to go!
>>
>> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk4.jpg
>
> OBVIOUSLY Doctroid Holmes.

I'mmmm warnin' ye, make my head explode one more time, just ONE more
time mind ye...

butting

Theresa Willis

Jan 23, 2004, 8:02:25 PM1/23/04
On 23 Jan 2004 20:42:09 GMT, revjack <rev...@revjack.net> wrote:

>Trick question! RevJack is not a Kibologist! So, burn on
>alla youse!
>
>Yes, that's road salt on the boots, it snowed here in Mary
>Land and the road krewes go nuts with the stuff.
>
>Egg timer is because the kids fight over computer time, so I
>solved it in the usual way -- "Work something out between
>yourselves or I will sell you to the scientists." They came
>up with the egg timer idea.
>
>SmartMedia card, check. For the digicam. Also Palm cradle.
>
>I'm surprised no one recognises what's on the screen, you
>being Kibologists and all.
>
>Ansel Adams calendar, gift from my Da.
>
>Work surface is in fact a thick solid wood interior door,
>with several layers of heavy duty gloss black paint. Almost
>a lab bench, good guess.
>
>Game books because they came with the games, and I can't
>bring myself to throw them out.
>
>Paper cup over the webcam, because, paranoid.

I find the neatness of your desk very disturbing.

Tim Serpas

Jan 23, 2004, 8:46:39 PM1/23/04
Jeremy D. Impson <jdim...@acm.spam.org> wrote:
>> http://www.techtorial.com/ntk/ntk3.jpg
>>
>> There's a lot to look at in this picture.
>
>lcrl.

I just don't believe he'd have a workspace that clean.

Wretch

David DeLaney

Jan 24, 2004, 2:51:02 AM1/24/04
Bryce Utting <but...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>revjack <rev...@revjack.net> wrote:
>> I'm surprised no one recognises what's on the screen, you
>> being Kibologists and all.
>
>D'OH.

But ... doesn't viewing a .jpg of that on a screen with the .jpg containing
a screen containing that cause 3.2 nth-complexity binary loops? _SOMEWHERE_?

>and I was even wondering (a) who'd use that colour scheme on a
>spreadsheet, and (b) just why a spreadsheet was being viewed inside a
>browser.

I was mentally pegging it as a .pdf version of the Diablo II book, with
wackycolors, the first time around. Hinted at, I eureka.

>I are not leet.

I are somewhat lert tonight, though.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Kevin S. Wilson

Jan 24, 2004, 8:00:15 AM1/24/04

Okay, I've resisted saying this for at least a day and a half now,
maybe longer, but I'm weak and impulsive:

It ain't that Clansdell d00d.

Carry on.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"

Theresa Willis

Jan 24, 2004, 9:13:46 AM1/24/04