Thought for the day

1 view

bma...@iglou.com

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
On 2000-08-10 dbro...@fang.omni.com.au(DavidBromage) said:
>Why don't cats come in green?
>Cheers
>David
There are no green dogs either, but I've often wondered why dogs come in
so many more shapes and sizes than cats. Wouldn't it be cool to have a
St. Bernard cat? Well, maybe not if you had to empty the litter box, or
clean up a hairball the size of an ordinary cat...

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

Glenn Knickerbocker

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
On 2000-08-10 DavidBromage wrote:
>Why don't cats come in green?
They're just not moving fast enough.

New! Improved! DopplerKitty:
Comes in green, sleeps yellow, goes out red.

ŹR

Karlo Takki

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
bma...@iglou.com wrote in <3997d...@news.iglou.com>:

>There are no green dogs either, but I've often wondered why dogs
>come in so many more shapes and sizes than cats. Wouldn't it be cool
>to have a St. Bernard cat? Well, maybe not if you had to empty the
>litter box, or clean up a hairball the size of an ordinary cat...

I think they're called "lions" or something.

k.

Theresa Usenet's Sweetheart

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
In article <3997d...@news.iglou.com>,
bma...@iglou.com wrote:

> On 2000-08-10 dbro...@fang.omni.com.au(DavidBromage) said:
> >Why don't cats come in green?
> >Cheers
> >David

> There are no green dogs either, but I've often wondered why dogs come
> in so many more shapes and sizes than cats.

Are you trollerizing me? Because there are real, non-kibological
answers to this one and I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE.

1. Human domesticated Dog a long time ago, and has been
using artifical selection to monkey with dog genes a lot
longer than than cat genes (cats have only been domesticated --
well, as domesticated as cats ever get -- since we developed
agriculture, and started attracting gobs of tasty, tasty
mice to our grain silos).

2. Dogs have been selectively bred to fill a larger variety of
jobs. Cats have mostly been bred for companionship, vermin
catching and world domination.

Dogs have been breed for companionship, vermin catching,
protection, herding, hunting, search and rescue, racing,
retrieving, tracking, drug sniffing, blah, blah blah
blah, blah. Different body types are useful for different
stuff. Different brain types, too. It's amazing (to me,
anyway) to consider the different sorts of behaviors
that can be hard-wired into their pointy little heads.

Those are the big reasons, anyway.

Compare to horses... you see more variety in horses than you do cats,
and again, we expect horses to fill a wider variety of roles. We
haven't kept horses as long as dogs (dogs were the second animal
domesticated, if you count us domesticating ourselves), and they live
longer, so we've had many more generations of Doggy DNA to monkey with.
Which may account for the greater variety of dog types. Or maybe canine
genes are just more versatile than equine or feline. Or maybe I'm
making this up as I go along.

At any rate, I hope this will learn ya not to trollerize me in the
future.

Because I can talk about this stuff for PAGES. And nobody really wants
that.

--Terri

--
What would Robot Frank do?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tim Beattie

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
So it goes out a lot faster than it comes in, then?
R O Y G B I V
If yellow is its colour while at rest, then it's only shifting one colour
towards the violet end of the spectrum when it's coming in, but it's
shifting two colours towards the red end when it's going out.

Perhaps it's tired after a long day out, so it comes in more slowly. Or
maybe it's just had a load of invigorating kitty-kibble for breakfast when
it goes out, so it's extra sparky then.

http://www.geekcode.com

Glenn Knickerbocker <No...@bestweb.net> wrote in message
: On 2000-08-10 DavidBromage wrote:
: >Why don't cats come in green?
: They're just not moving fast enough.

Ranjit Bhatnagar

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Theresa Usenet's Sweetheart Willis <tdwi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Because I can talk about this stuff for PAGES. And nobody really wants
> that.

I DO! GO FOR IT!

Glenn Knickerbocker

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Tim Beattie wrote:
> : Comes in green, sleeps yellow, goes out red.
> So it goes out a lot faster than it comes in, then?

No, it's just that "yellow" is our word for "amber" here in the US.

Either that or it doesn't like me.

ŹR

Daniel Buettner

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00

ME T00!

--
~
~

Tim Beattie

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but you do smell a bit odd. Have you
tried bathing weekly?

--

http://www.geekcode.com

Glenn Knickerbocker <No...@bestweb.net> wrote in message

Karlo Takki

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
tdwi...@earthlink.net (Theresa "Usenet's Sweetheart" Willis) wrote
in <8n95mb$3tp$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>:

>Compare to horses... you see more variety in horses than you do
>cats, and again, we expect horses to fill a wider variety of roles.

You ain't never seen Pa hitch the plow to a team of tabbies and
till the back 40.

k.

Glenn Knickerbocker

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Tim Beattie wrote:
> tried bathing weekly?

Yes, and I wind up looking like this:
http://members.aol.com/notr/knickers.jpg

ŹR

Crgre Jvyyneq

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
[Theresa "Usenet's Sweetheart" Willis, alt.religion.kibology,
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:10:56 GMT]

>2. Dogs have been selectively bred to fill a larger variety of
> jobs. Cats have mostly been bred for companionship, vermin
> catching and world domination.

Know what's going to happen? People are going to breed people to
be 1/10 their current size. See Hammond's definitive work on the
"wee folk" and their stop-monkey number.

--
Peter Willard http://www.drizzle.com/~petew
``The fact that inhumanity is coupled with so much stupidity

Theresa Usenet's Sweetheart

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
In article <8F9083B...@216.206.190.193>,

No, but I dearly wish I had.

--Terri

--
What Would Robot Frank Do?

Theresa Usenet's Sweetheart

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
In article <8n97hp$1p4$3...@unlnews.unl.edu>,

Daniel Buettner <buet...@cse.unl.edu> wrote:
> Ranjit Bhatnagar <ranji...@moonmilk.com> wrote:
> > Theresa Usenet's Sweetheart Willis <tdwi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Because I can talk about this stuff for PAGES. And nobody really
> >> wants that.
> >>

> > I DO! GO FOR IT!
>
> ME T00!

Look, I do believe that you gentlement so-called are trying to get me
in trouble with Kibo, AGAIN. Like I'm not still smartin' from the
smitin' he gave me the last time I infected the newsgroup with Cute
Dogs.

Joseph Michael Bay

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Theresa "Usenet's Sweetheart" Willis <tdwi...@earthlink.net> writes:

>1. Human domesticated Dog a long time ago, and has been
> using artifical selection to monkey with dog genes

BAD DOG AND/OR MONKEY!

--
Joe Bay Slimeford University Physarum Biology
While nobody would volunteer to be a slime mold, a primitive species

Ranjit Bhatnagar

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Theresa Usenet's Sweetheart Willis <tdwi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Look, I do believe that you gentlement so-called are trying to get me
> in trouble with Kibo, AGAIN. Like I'm not still smartin' from the
> smitin' he gave me the last time I infected the newsgroup with Cute
> Dogs.

Speaking of cute dogs, a month or so ago I stuffed Tikko's
tail into the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels.
IT WAS SO CUUUTE!

Then he removed the tube from his tail. And ate it. The
tube, that is. AWWWW, CUUUTE!

Then while I was sleeping he took his revenge by ripping my
throat out and feasting on my blood. WHAT A CUUUTIE-PIE!

r.

--
p.s. masking tape does not stick to pupperoni -- mg

Tim Beattie

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00

Glenn Knickerbocker <No...@bestweb.net> wrote in message

Eeek!

Do you do children's parties?

teddles

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00
"Joseph Michael Bay" <jm...@Stanford.EDU> wrote in message

> Theresa "Usenet's Sweetheart" Willis <tdwi...@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> >1. Human domesticated Dog a long time ago, and has been
> > using artifical selection to monkey with dog genes
>
> BAD DOG AND/OR MONKEY!

doggedly spanking it? tsk tsk...

--
ted russ
cats aren't clean, they're just covered in cat spit.

Zixia

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00
In alt.religion.kibology bma...@iglou.com wrote:

[...]if you had to empty the litter box, or

>clean up a hairball the size of an ordinary cat...

To make this more enjoyable I usually try to work out from which end of
my cat the various messes she makes have come out.

It's not as straightforward as you may think, and provides many hours of
amusement!

--

Zixia - "Not a gurl since 1973"

Dag Right-square-bracket-gren

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00
In article <8n95mb$3tp$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Theresa "Usenet's Sweetheart"
Willis <tdwi...@earthlink.net> says...

> 1. Human domesticated Dog a long time ago, and has been
> using artifical selection to monkey with dog genes a lot
> longer than than cat genes (cats have only been domesticated --
> well, as domesticated as cats ever get -- since we developed
> agriculture, and started attracting gobs of tasty, tasty
> mice to our grain silos).

It's funny exactly how much messing around with genes we've done
throughout history, and how few people realize this. People who talk
about living "naturally" really do not understand the reality of our
situation. Most any plant or animal we eat on a regular basis are by now
only vaguely similar to their original forms, and a lot of them have no
place in nature any longer.

Genetic engineering is just taking what we've been doing all along to the
next level. Of course there's still a whole lot of risks and issues to
take into consideration, but objecting on a moral level is just silly at
this point.

> At any rate, I hope this will learn ya not to trollerize me in the
> future.
>

> Because I can talk about this stuff for PAGES. And nobody really wants
> that.

Hey, I don't mind. I'll talk too, though.

--
Dag Agren <> d...@c3.cx <> http://www.abo.fi/~dagren/ <> Legalize oregano
"This box contained a tiny Archimedes Plutonium, running in circles and

Crgre Jvyyneq

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00
[Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, alt.religion.kibology, Wed, 16
Aug 2000 11:47:05 GMT]

>Genetic engineering is just taking what we've been doing all
>along to the next level. Of course there's still a whole lot
>of risks and issues to take into consideration, but objecting
>on a moral level is just silly at this point.

I like the d00ds who say that the dogs domesticated the humans
and not vice versa.

Zixia

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00
In alt.religion.kibology petew+...@drizzle.com (Crgre Jvyyneq) wrote:

>[Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, alt.religion.kibology, Wed, 16
>Aug 2000 11:47:05 GMT]
>
>>Genetic engineering is just taking what we've been doing all
>>along to the next level. Of course there's still a whole lot
>>of risks and issues to take into consideration, but objecting
>>on a moral level is just silly at this point.
>
>I like the d00ds who say that the dogs domesticated the humans
>and not vice versa.

GET YOUR TONGUE OFF ME YOU DAMN DIRTY DOG!

Theresa /The Voice of Reason/ Willis

Aug 18, 2000, 11:14:14 PM8/18/00
In article <MPG.1403c71a5...@magnesium.net>,

d...@c3.cx (Dag Right-square-bracket-gren) wrote:
> In article <8n95mb$3tp$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Theresa "Usenet's
Sweetheart"
> Willis <tdwi...@earthlink.net> says...
> > 1. Human domesticated Dog a long time ago, and has been
> > using artifical selection to monkey with dog genes a lot
> > longer than than cat genes (cats have only been domesticated --
> > well, as domesticated as cats ever get -- since we developed
> > agriculture, and started attracting gobs of tasty, tasty
> > mice to our grain silos).
>
> It's funny exactly how much messing around with genes we've done
> throughout history, and how few people realize this. People who talk
> about living "naturally" really do not understand the reality of our
> situation. Most any plant or animal we eat on a regular basis are by
> now only vaguely similar to their original forms, and a lot of them
> have no place in nature any longer.

This really came home to me one day when I was out walking in the woods
with my mom, and she pointed out a wild rose to me. It was pale pink,
and only had one layer of petals.

I've never really looked at the fruit and veggie aisle the same way
since; it would probably all look fakity-fakeo and exaggerated to
someone from the past.

> Genetic engineering is just taking what we've been doing all along to
> the next level. Of course there's still a whole lot of risks and
> issues to take into consideration, but objecting on a moral level is
> just silly at this point.

Many moons ago I read a book called "The Engineer In The Garden", by, I
think, Colin Tudge. I really liked it, though I'm only assuming the
science was accurate. At any rate, it had a lot of interesting things to
think about.

I don't see the "tampering in God's domain" as a valid argument, partly
because it's a bit late for that. Not that there aren't any moral
considerations. For example, I think it is wrong ignore the fact that
animals can suffer and feel pain. For example, I could start some really
big arguments over on the pets groups if I brought up the subject of
breeding cats/dogs with muzzles shortened to the point where there are
breathing and eye difficulties.

> > At any rate, I hope this will learn ya not to trollerize me in the
> > future.
> >
> > Because I can talk about this stuff for PAGES. And nobody really
> > wants that.
>
> Hey, I don't mind. I'll talk too, though.

OK, but I hope Kibo smites us in alphabetical order.

Theresa /The Voice of Reason/ Willis

Aug 18, 2000, 11:24:35 PM8/18/00
In article <8F928FC82b...@209.155.56.81>,

petew+...@drizzle.com (Crgre Jvyyneq) wrote:
> [Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, alt.religion.kibology, Wed, 16
> Aug 2000 11:47:05 GMT]
>
> >Genetic engineering is just taking what we've been doing all
> >along to the next level. Of course there's still a whole lot
> >of risks and issues to take into consideration, but objecting
> >on a moral level is just silly at this point.
>
> I like the d00ds who say that the dogs domesticated the humans
> and not vice versa.

I kind of suspect it was a bit of back-and-forth on that score. Maybe
the people who liked dogs and kept them around had an advantage, when
need arose for a buddy with quick, sharp teeth and claws.

At any rate, it's an old, old partnership. I wonder sometimes how much
of my fascination for dogs is hardwired in me, and how much was
environment.

I mean, I hear that there are actually people who don't really care for
dogs all that much, so how hard-coded is that?

Environmentally, my first Friend and Partner in Crime was my granny's
dog, Pudgy. I'm told that Pudgy taught me to walk.

No, that doesn't mean I walk on all fours, you idgits. Apparently I
learned to stand by grabbing on to Pudgy, who then took careful steps
while I tried to keep my balance.

So, maybe I was just imprinted on dogs, and it doesn't have anything to
do with ancestors who liked dogs having greater survivability. Dunno;
just know that for me, Home is Where The Dog Is. Unfortunately, that
also means that Home Is Where The Dog Hair Is All Over.

Crgre Jvyyneq

Aug 19, 2000, 1:29:34 AM8/19/00
[Theresa /The Voice of Reason/ Willis, alt.religion.kibology,
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 03:24:35 GMT]

>I mean, I hear that there are actually people who don't
>really care for dogs all that much, so how hard-coded is
>that?

uhhhhhhhh...those...aren't...people.........

Theresa Willis

Aug 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/19/00
On 19 Aug 2000 05:29:34 GMT, petew+...@drizzle.com (Crgre Jvyyneq)
wrote:

>[Theresa /The Voice of Reason/ Willis, alt.religion.kibology,
>Sat, 19 Aug 2000 03:24:35 GMT]
>

>>I mean, I hear that there are actually people who don't
>>really care for dogs all that much, so how hard-coded is
>>that?
>>

>uhhhhhhhh...those...aren't...people.........

Well, I didn't want to be the one to say it.

--Terri

--
We'll know that we are truly equal when we
can order bulletproof vests by cup size :-)

--Lynn Kosmakos 6/4/00

Dag Right-square-bracket-gren

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00
In article <8nku1s$htm$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, tdwi...@earthlink.net says...

> This really came home to me one day when I was out walking in the woods
> with my mom, and she pointed out a wild rose to me. It was pale pink,
> and only had one layer of petals.
>
> I've never really looked at the fruit and veggie aisle the same way
> since; it would probably all look fakity-fakeo and exaggerated to
> someone from the past.

Case in point: Carrots. Just look at them. That is NOT something found in
nature.

> OK, but I hope Kibo smites us in alphabetical order.

Ha! "Å" alphabetizes after the rest of the alphabet!

I HATE alphabetized-by-last-name ordering.

Zixia

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00
In alt.religion.kibology bma...@iglou.com wrote:

>On 2000-08-10 dbro...@fang.omni.com.au(DavidBromage) said:
> >Why don't cats come in green?

> >Cheers
> >David
>There are no green dogs either,

You are clearly forgetting about Roobarb, who was a naturally green dog.

Poot Rootbeer

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00
ch...@btinternet.com (Zixia) wrote:
>>There are no green dogs either,
>
>You are clearly forgetting about Roobarb, who was a naturally green
>dog.

You spelled my name wrong; also, I am not a dog.

-Poot ROOTBEER, dambit

Theresa /The Voice of Reason/ Willis

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00
In article <MPG.1408ffcbc...@magnesium.net>,
d...@c3.cx (Dag Right-square-bracket-gren) wrote:
> In article <8nku1s$htm$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, tdwi...@earthlink.net
> says...

> > This really came home to me one day when I was out walking in the
> > woods with my mom, and she pointed out a wild rose to me. It was
> > pale pink, and only had one layer of petals.
> >
> > I've never really looked at the fruit and veggie aisle the same way
> > since; it would probably all look fakity-fakeo and exaggerated to
> > someone from the past.
>
> Case in point: Carrots. Just look at them. That is NOT something found
> in nature.

Well, I hope that next time all you bozos walk down the fruit and
veggie aisle, you'll take a tip from me and Dag and realize that you're
shopping in the Fantastic Future World of Tomorrow. Try holding up the
brocolli to people and saying, "Mmmmm... futuristic."

Oh, and let us know how that works out for you.

> > OK, but I hope Kibo smites us in alphabetical order.
>

> Ha! "Å" alphabetizes after the rest of the alphabet!

I thought "]" came before "A", or at least before "W".

> I HATE alphabetized-by-last-name ordering.

Then I insist that for smiting order, we go by first names. That should
make you feel better.

teddles

Aug 21, 2000, 10:19:41 PM8/21/00
"Theresa /The Voice of Reason/ Willis" <tdwi...@earthlink.net> wrote in
message news:8nrjqo$l48$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <MPG.1408ffcbc...@magnesium.net>,
> d...@c3.cx (Dag Right-square-bracket-gren) wrote:
> > In article <8nku1s$htm$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, tdwi...@earthlink.net
> > says...

> > > This really came home to me one day when I was out walking in the
> > > woods with my mom, and she pointed out a wild rose to me. It was
> > > pale pink, and only had one layer of petals.
> > >
> > > I've never really looked at the fruit and veggie aisle the same way
> > > since; it would probably all look fakity-fakeo and exaggerated to
> > > someone from the past.
> >
> > Case in point: Carrots. Just look at them. That is NOT something found
> > in nature.
>
> Well, I hope that next time all you bozos walk down the fruit and
> veggie aisle, you'll take a tip from me and Dag and realize that you're
> shopping in the Fantastic Future World of Tomorrow. Try holding up the
> brocolli to people and saying, "Mmmmm... futuristic."
>
> Oh, and let us know how that works out for you.

i tried this and i got talking to a hawt chyq and then i got lade! try it
it werx d00ds!
--
no .sig required if posted in austria

teddles

Aug 21, 2000, 11:43:33 PM8/21/00
"teddles" <t...@faroc.spammersdie.com.au> wrote in message
9oh yeah we also ate the broccoli so that was okay.

--
ted russ
a friendly teddles with an engaging grin that still has all it's teeth...