I hereby declare this to be...

Zixia

Apr 12, 2002, 10:32:08 AM4/12/02

International "Treat a Kibologist like a Bitch" month.

This morning, I found out that I have all the drawbacks of spending
large (okay, moderate) sums of money on useless items--to whit, having
them appear on my credit card statement, with the understanding that I
will pay for said items--but without any of the benefits that buying
such items brings. Such benefits would be, for example, actually
buying and having whatever it is that was paid for with my credit card.

Maybe I should have made my PIN harder to guess? It's 1077--the price
of a cheese pizza and large soda at Panucci's Pizza in 1999.

--
@+------------+@
_o)| I am |(o_

Kim Wright

Apr 12, 2002, 12:18:49 PM4/12/02

"Zixia" <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote in message

Same thing happened to me last month. I got to spend substantial sums on
money in Venezuela. I'm sure it was beautiful, I wish I could have been
there. I hope the sushi was delicious. Oops, I mean cursed.

Kim "I shivered in Pa and had no cursed sushi" Wright

Kevin S. Wilson

Apr 12, 2002, 12:41:21 PM4/12/02
On 12 Apr 2002 14:32:08 GMT, Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:

>International "Treat a Kibologist like a Bitch" month.
>
>This morning, I found out that I have all the drawbacks of spending
>large (okay, moderate) sums of money on useless items--to whit, having
>them appear on my credit card statement, with the understanding that I
>will pay for said items--but without any of the benefits that buying
>such items brings. Such benefits would be, for example, actually
>buying and having whatever it is that was paid for with my credit card.

Document--in writing--every bit of communication with the retailers
and your credit card company. If it ain't in writing, it donut exist.

Somewhere around here I have the only useful e-mail forward I've ever
received, containing Good Advice about what to do if you lose your
wallet. If I find it, I'll pass it along, for it contains some Good
Advice you might beable to use.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

David DeLaney

Apr 13, 2002, 4:09:40 PM4/13/02
On 12 Apr 2002 14:32:08 GMT, Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:
>International "Treat a Kibologist like a Bitch" month.
>
>This morning, I found out that I have all the drawbacks of spending
>large (okay, moderate) sums of money on useless items--to whit, having
>them appear on my credit card statement, with the understanding that I
>will pay for said items--but without any of the benefits that buying
>such items brings. Such benefits would be, for example, actually
>buying and having whatever it is that was paid for with my credit card.
>
>Maybe I should have made my PIN harder to guess? It's 1077--the price
>of a cheese pizza and large soda at Panucci's Pizza in 1999.

This would be time to a) inform your credit card company in no uncertain terms
that you are not paying for that muffler, backing this up with the same
statement in writing, and b) informing your credit card company that you need
to change your credit card's credit card number.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Zixia

Apr 13, 2002, 6:28:56 PM4/13/02
David DeLaney devised a cunning plan:

[Wanton spending on my credit card by parties unknown]

> This would be time to a) inform your credit card company in no
> uncertain terms that you are not paying for that muffler, backing
> this up with the same statement in writing, and b) informing your
> credit card company that you need to change your credit card's
> credit card number.

Yeah, I informed the credit card company almost as soon as I opened my
statement. The company cancelled my card there and then (which is a
bit inconvenient, but better safe than sorry, &c) and will issue me a
new one within a week. In the meantime, there will be an
investigation.

I believe consumers have quite a few rights in this sort of thing, so
I'm not really worried. Besides, the fraud seems to be professional,
as the card was used three days in a row, in different geographical
locations, and then 'discarded'.

It's just a little irritating.

robert lindsay

Apr 17, 2002, 3:09:10 PM4/17/02
In article <Xns91EE9E0...@130.133.1.4>,

Zixia <zi...@clu.org.uk> wrote:

>International "Treat a Kibologist like a Bitch" month.
>
>This morning, I found out that I have all the drawbacks of spending
>large (okay, moderate) sums of money on useless items--to whit, having
>them appear on my credit card statement, with the understanding that I
>will pay for said items--but without any of the benefits that buying
>such items brings. Such benefits would be, for example, actually
>buying and having whatever it is that was paid for with my credit card.

SO how did they boost your CC#?

>Maybe I should have made my PIN harder to guess? It's 1077--the price
>of a cheese pizza and large soda at Panucci's Pizza in 1999.

Is that in english money? $16 bux for a Pizza and a Large Coke?
Man, we'd be rioting in the streets here in the U!S!A! over that.

--
Robert Lindsay, NASA - Goddard, Greenbelt MD rlin...@seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov
#include <standard_disclaimer.h> 301-286-9958 ISTJ NON SVM ACERBVS

Zixia

Apr 19, 2002, 1:20:03 PM4/19/02
robert lindsay devised a cunning plan:

> In article <Xns91EE9E0...@130.133.1.4>,
> Zixia <zi...@clu.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>This morning, I found out that I have all the drawbacks of
>>spending large (okay, moderate) sums of money on useless items--to
>>whit, having them appear on my credit card statement, with the
>>understanding that I will pay for said items--but without any of
>>the benefits that buying such items brings. Such benefits would
>>be, for example, actually buying and having whatever it is that
>>was paid for with my credit card.
>
> SO how did they boost your CC#?

Probably some 1337 ha><uors got it from a webs page somewhere. I won't
make the mistake of ordering things on-line again.

The good news is that I got my new credit card today--hurrah! I'm
going to celebrate by going on an Internet spending spree!

>>Maybe I should have made my PIN harder to guess? It's 1077--the
>>price of a cheese pizza and large soda at Panucci's Pizza in 1999.
>
> Is that in english money? $16 bux for a Pizza and a Large Coke?
> Man, we'd be rioting in the streets here in the U!S!A! over that.

Perhaps, but those were 1999 prices, when everyone thought the world
was going to end, which led to the internation pizza crisis, pushing up
prices of pizzas in 18 different nations. Those were tough times.

Dangermouse

Apr 20, 2002, 7:48:54 AM4/20/02
Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:

> The good news is that I got my new credit card today--hurrah! I'm
> going to celebrate by going on an Internet spending spree!

Qool! What number did they give you? I got 9122 1590 0800 8101. For some
reason it expires on 09/03 although I'm not sure which year that would be.
Do you know any good websites to buy stuff? I've been to Amazone.co, thats
pretty neat.

--
Benny F. Masterman

Zixia

Apr 22, 2002, 6:10:34 PM4/22/02
Dangermouse devised a cunning plan:

> Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> The good news is that I got my new credit card--hurrah!

>> I'm going to celebrate by going on an Internet spending spree!
>
> Qool! What number did they give you? I got 9122 1590 0800 8101.
> For some reason it expires on 09/03 although I'm not sure which
> year that would be. Do you know any good websites to buy stuff?
> I've been to Amazone.co, thats pretty neat.

I got 4842 0557 1873 5472, which is pretty neat, as I think it's a
prime number! I don't suppose anyone knows how to check that for sure,
do they? And you can't trick me into giving out my expiry date again,
like you did last time. I'll just say that I got it last month and it
is valid for two years.

I usually buy my stuff on-line from htpp:megashops.co as it has
EVERYTHING! Except that CD I wanted the other day, but I just got that
down the road. It was cheaper in my local shop as well, but it doesn't
beat buying stuff off the intereweb.

Tim Bruening

Apr 23, 2002, 2:01:07 AM4/23/02

Zixia wrote:

> Dangermouse devised a cunning plan:
>
> > Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> The good news is that I got my new credit card--hurrah!
> >> I'm going to celebrate by going on an Internet spending spree!
> >
> > Qool! What number did they give you? I got 9122 1590 0800 8101.
> > For some reason it expires on 09/03 although I'm not sure which
> > year that would be. Do you know any good websites to buy stuff?
> > I've been to Amazone.co, thats pretty neat.
>
> I got 4842 0557 1873 5472, which is pretty neat, as I think it's a
> prime number! I don't suppose anyone knows how to check that for sure,
> do they? And you can't trick me into giving out my expiry date again,
> like you did last time. I'll just say that I got it last month and it
> is valid for two years.

It can't be a prime number, since its an even number other than two! Also,
is it really a good idea to post your credit card numbers on the Internet?

Tim Bruening

Apr 23, 2002, 3:45:19 AM4/23/02

Zixia wrote:

> Dangermouse devised a cunning plan:
>
> > Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> The good news is that I got my new credit card--hurrah!
> >> I'm going to celebrate by going on an Internet spending spree!
> >
> > Qool! What number did they give you? I got 9122 1590 0800 8101.
> > For some reason it expires on 09/03 although I'm not sure which
> > year that would be. Do you know any good websites to buy stuff?
> > I've been to Amazone.co, thats pretty neat.
>
> I got 4842 0557 1873 5472, which is pretty neat, as I think it's a
> prime number! I don't suppose anyone knows how to check that for sure,
> do they? And you can't trick me into giving out my expiry date again,
> like you did last time. I'll just say that I got it last month and it
> is valid for two years.

I hereby deduce an expiration date of 03/04.:)

Dangermouse

Apr 23, 2002, 1:26:44 PM4/23/02
Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:

> I got 4842 0557 1873 5472, which is pretty neat, as I think it's a
> prime number! I don't suppose anyone knows how to check that for sure,
> do they?

That's not a prime number as the square root is not a whole number. One
wonders if you even know what a prime number is.

--
dangermouse

Chris Franks

Apr 23, 2002, 3:26:13 PM4/23/02
in message
"Dangermouse" <pos...@baker.street> wrote

Hey! Where did you get my Master Card account number?

Zixia

Apr 23, 2002, 4:14:53 PM4/23/02
Tim Bruening devised a cunning plan:

So just because it's an even number it can't be a prime number? Look
at all the odd numbers in it! I don't know what sort of crazy maths
you've been taught, but in my classes we had to provide better proofs
than that. You didn't even show any working!

> Also, is it really a good idea to post your credit card numbers on
> the Internet?

But this is the Usernet, not the Internet, and as there aren't any
shops on the Usernet no-one can misuse my new Mastercard number.

Zixia

Apr 23, 2002, 4:16:39 PM4/23/02
Tim Bruening devised a cunning plan:

Nice try, but you're assuming that it's currently April, and we all
know what happens when you assume something!

Zixia

Apr 23, 2002, 4:19:57 PM4/23/02
Dangermouse devised a cunning plan:

> Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:

Maybe if you learnt some matrex multiplication you would be able to
work out your square roots better. I still think that it has a good
chance of being prime, what with all the odd numbers in it. I'm just a
bit busy right now to do all the tedious calculations.

Kevin S. Wilson

Apr 23, 2002, 4:18:43 PM4/23/02
On 23 Apr 2002 20:14:53 GMT, Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:

>Tim Bruening devised a cunning plan:
>
>> Zixia wrote:
>>
>>> Dangermouse devised a cunning plan:
>

>> Also, is it really a good idea to post your credit card numbers on
>> the Internet?
>
>But this is the Usernet, not the Internet, and as there aren't any
>shops on the Usernet no-one can misuse my new Mastercard number.

Get your facts straight, newbie. Though there might've once been a
trivial distinction between the USENET and the INTERNET, that
distinction faded once AOL (America On Line) entered the picture.

Virgil

Apr 23, 2002, 4:22:06 PM4/23/02
In article <Xns91F9C5D417C...@195.8.68.221>,
Dangermouse <pos...@baker.street> wrote:

> Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I got 4842 0557 1873 5472, which is pretty neat, as I think it's a
> > prime number! I don't suppose anyone knows how to check that for sure,
> > do they?

The last digit in the number is even, so, assuming decimal notation,
the number itself is even.

Since even numbers other than 2 are not prime, your number is not
prime.

Dave Neary

Apr 23, 2002, 4:52:51 PM4/23/02
On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:22:06 GMT, Virgil said:
>> Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > I got 4842 0557 1873 5472, which is pretty neat, as I think it's a
>> > prime number! I don't suppose anyone knows how to check that for sure,
>> > do they?
>
> Since even numbers other than 2 are not prime, your number is not
> prime.

How can you say that? All even numbers are prime, by definition.

Dave.

--
David Neary,
E-Mail: bolsh at gimp dot org

Flying Noodle

Apr 23, 2002, 4:55:59 PM4/23/02
Its not a prime number if it ends in an even number. Sorry.

-Noodle

"Zixia" <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote in message

Randy Hudson

Apr 23, 2002, 5:52:08 PM4/23/02
In article <10195899...@cswreg.cos.agilent.com>,

Chris Franks <chris_...@agilent.com> wrote:

>> Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I got 4842 0557 1873 5472, which is pretty neat, as I think it's a
>
> Hey! Where did you get my Master Card account number?

That's a VISA number, not MC, with a leading digit of 4. MC starts with 5,
Discover starts with 6.

--
Randy Hudson <i...@panix.com>

Christmas Ape

Apr 23, 2002, 5:50:37 PM4/23/02
Newsflash: I bought Office 98, installed Word 98, highlighted your info,
Ctrl C, opened Word 98, Ctrl V, Ctrl P, opened internet, looked at the
paper, used your info.

I now have a 19" TV, color.

"Kevin S. Wilson" <res...@spro.net> wrote in message

Dann Corbit

Apr 23, 2002, 6:04:18 PM4/23/02
"Dave Neary" <real.addre...@thisoneis.invalid> wrote in message

> > Since even numbers other than 2 are not prime, your number is not
> > prime.
>
> How can you say that? All even numbers are prime, by definition.

It is clear (considering the headers) that the question is not whether the
number is mathematically prime, but [rather] kibologically prime. Now, when
we examine this number:

C:\Program Files\Winboard>factor 4842055718735472
first trying brute force division by small primes
PRIME FACTOR 2
PRIME FACTOR 2
PRIME FACTOR 2
PRIME FACTOR 2
PRIME FACTOR 3
PRIME FACTOR 3
PRIME FACTOR 33625386935663

We can see that it is *chock full O' primes*. It even has 33625386935663 as
a factor, which ASTONISHINGLY starts off with 336 and ends with 663, which
is almost tangentially palindromic (if you use your imagination).

Therefore, while not [strictly speaking] a prime in the _mathematical_
sense, it surely is prime from the standpoint of a kibological definition.

A reading of a few posts in news:alt.religion.kibology will quickly convince
you of the highly kibological nature of this number. Better yet, if we use
33625386935663 as a repunit that repeats infinitely, then we have a _P-ADIC_
number, which would make a perverse connection to the 'one atom universe'
and [through the process of nuclear fusion] would absorb a tremendous amount
of energy. That energy has got to go somewhere [laws of conservation and
all that] and so we might expect Kibo's dog Spot to become so energized that
he would finally make it into Mensa.
--
C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
"The C-FAQ Book" ISBN 0-201-84519-9

Chris Franks

Apr 23, 2002, 7:25:48 PM4/23/02

"Dann Corbit" <dco...@connx.com> wrote

> C:\Program Files\Winboard>factor 4842055718735472
> first trying brute force division by small primes
> PRIME FACTOR 2
> PRIME FACTOR 2
> PRIME FACTOR 2
> PRIME FACTOR 2
> PRIME FACTOR 3
> PRIME FACTOR 3
> PRIME FACTOR 33625386935663
>
> We can see that it is *chock full O' primes*. It even has 33625386935663
as
> a factor, which ASTONISHINGLY starts off with 336 and ends with 663, which
> is almost tangentially palindromic (if you use your imagination).

Be careful Angel Garcia can use your data to prove that this number
was invented by Martians in Cydonia.

ranch...@nospam.mindspring.com

Apr 23, 2002, 7:32:40 PM4/23/02

Not likely that it is prime. A prime number is one that is NOT
divisible by any number other than ONE or itself. Seems it is divisible
by at least the number TWO. I didn't try any others.

Dann Corbit

Apr 23, 2002, 8:30:35 PM4/23/02
<ranch...@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote in message

I tried -1 and the modulus was zero for _every_ number. So I guess Zixia
must have been right (at least according to your definition of primeness).
All of them[1] are. When you get right down to it, this is sort of the
"prime beef" sort of definition, I suppose. 'Highly excellent' might be
considered a synonym.

[1] Those 'integer' thingies.

P.S.
Both your ONE and your TWO are screaming.

P.P.S.
Paintball and movies trimmed. Bad combination -- for obvious reasons.

P.P.P.S.
Did you know that 'gullible' isn't even a real dictionary word?

Mark Allread

Apr 23, 2002, 9:10:26 PM4/23/02
> P.P.P.S.
> Did you know that 'gullible' isn't even a real dictionary word?

Of course, but it IS in my fake dictionary.

GPumpkin

Apr 23, 2002, 10:08:49 PM4/23/02

> Tim Bruening devised a cunning plan:
>
> > Zixia wrote:
> >
> >> Dangermouse devised a cunning plan:

> >> I got 4842 0557 1873 5472, which is pretty neat, as I think it's
> >> a prime number! I don't suppose anyone knows how to check that
> >> for sure, do they? And you can't trick me into giving out my
> >> expiry date again, like you did last time. I'll just say that I
> >> got it last month and it is valid for two years.
> >
> > It can't be a prime number, since its an even number other than
> > two!
>
> So just because it's an even number it can't be a prime number? Look
> at all the odd numbers in it! I don't know what sort of crazy maths
> you've been taught, but in my classes we had to provide better proofs
> than that. You didn't even show any working!

I can't believe I'm wasting time with such obvious baiting but here's your
proof...

2421027859367736 x 2 = 4842055718735472
4842055718735472 x 3 = 4842055718735472
1210513929683868 x 4 = 4842055718735472
807009286455912 x 6 = 4842055718735472
605256964841934 x 8 = 4842055718735472
538006190970608 x 9 = 4842055718735472

and being evenly divisible by a whole number greater than 1 is the
definition of 'not prime'.
So this number is rather ambitiously not prime.

GPump

mtr

Apr 23, 2002, 10:42:27 PM4/23/02
Thus spake Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> in message

> Maybe I should have made my PIN harder to guess? It's 1077--the price
> of a cheese pizza and large soda at Panucci's Pizza in 1999.

I like mine with sardines.

Kevin S. Wilson

Apr 23, 2002, 5:45:39 PM4/23/02
On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:55:59 +0000 (UTC), "Flying Noodle"
<mbkn...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Its not a prime number if it ends in an even number. Sorry.

Please don't top post. Top posting crashes most modern news readers
and it makes searching on goggle.com more difficult than it needs to
be.

Xcott Craver

Apr 24, 2002, 12:33:47 AM4/24/02
GPumpkin <gpum...@tophersoft.nospam.com> wrote:

>and being evenly divisible by a whole number greater than 1 is the
>definition of 'not prime'. ^^ ^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^

He also forgot to mention that 4842055718735472 is
evenly divisible by 4842055718735472.

Say, wait a minute, 3 is evenly divisible by 3.

>GPump
-X

Xcott Craver

Apr 24, 2002, 12:39:21 AM4/24/02
Chris Franks <chris_...@agilent.com> wrote:
>"Dann Corbit" <dco...@connx.com> wrote

>> We can see that it is *chock full O' primes*. It even has 33625386935663
>> as a factor, which ASTONISHINGLY starts off with 336 and ends with 663,
>> which is almost tangentially palindromic (if you use your imagination).
>
> Be careful Angel Garcia can use your data to prove that this number
> was invented by Martians in Cydonia.

By BEES!!!!

BEES BEES BEES BEES!!!!!!! La la la la, bees!

-X

[ YOUR CREDIT CARD HAS BEE [OK] ]

Phil Carmody

Apr 24, 2002, 8:42:13 AM4/24/02

Funny you should say that, as when I see the number 33625386935663 I see an almost human face.
You see the 3s at the ends, they're the ears. You can tell it's the face of a boxer...

Anyway, all this proves is that 4842055718735472 isn't irreducible, but doesn't prove that it's not prime, as you've made the fatal Harrisian mistake of not naming your ring.

(1 euro to the International Red Cross, but it was worth it ;-P )

Phil

Kevin S. Wilson

Apr 24, 2002, 11:14:43 AM4/24/02

And yet . . .

>but here's your
>proof...
>
>2421027859367736 x 2 = 4842055718735472
>4842055718735472 x 3 = 4842055718735472
>1210513929683868 x 4 = 4842055718735472
>807009286455912 x 6 = 4842055718735472
>605256964841934 x 8 = 4842055718735472
>538006190970608 x 9 = 4842055718735472
>
>and being evenly divisible by a whole number greater than 1 is the
>definition of 'not prime'.

I think you mean "unprime." As is the case with most academic
disciplines, mathematics has its own nomenclature, and its precise use
is often the difference between communication and confusion.

>So this number is rather ambitiously not prime.

Numbers got ambitions?

Paul Richardson

Apr 24, 2002, 11:46:26 AM4/24/02

<snip loads of crap that's included later in the posting>
<quote>

So just because it's an even number it can't be a prime number?

</quote>
</snip blah blah>

Ermm according to any maths that is correctly taught on the face of this
planet yep. Unless the number is 2 of course!! (It isn't if you want to
read on further!)
A technical definition of a prime number is:

Technical comment on the definition: In the integers we can easily prove
the following

A positive integer p, not one, is prime if whenever it divides the product
of integers ab, then it divides a or b (perhaps both).

A positive integer p, not one, is prime if it can not be decomposed into
factors p=ab, neither of which is 1 or -1.
(from http://primes.utm.edu/glossary/page.php/Prime.html)

hence taking either definition any number that ends in 2 is not prime as
it can be devided by 2 leaving another integer

i.e. n = 2b
where n ends in 2 and b is an integer.

So there ;-P~

Paul

Zixia

Apr 24, 2002, 1:08:37 PM4/24/02
devised a cunning plan:

> Zixia wrote:
>>
>> Dangermouse devised a cunning plan:

>> > That's not a prime number as the square root is not a whole
>> > number. One wonders if you even know what a prime number is.
>>
>> Maybe if you learnt some matrex multiplication you would be able
>> to work out your square roots better. I still think that it has
>> a good chance of being prime, what with all the odd numbers in
>> it. I'm just a bit busy right now to do all the tedious
>> calculations.
>>

> Not likely that it is prime. A prime number is one that is NOT
> divisible by any number other than ONE or itself. Seems it is
> divisible by at least the number TWO. I didn't try any others.

Well, okay, so my number is divisible by two, but what about all the
other numbers? I still think there is a good chance of it being prime.

Zixia

Apr 24, 2002, 1:12:13 PM4/24/02