'20 Experts Weigh in on the "Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich?" Debate'

Adam Funk

Aug 30, 2022, 1:00:06 PM8/30/22
<https://www.insidehook.com/article/food-and-drink/is-a-hot-dog-a-sandwich-debate>

Controversial claim:

“In the 1880s and 1890s and 1990s, the names ‘sausage sandwich’ and
‘hot dog sandwich’ were common. ‘Sandwich’ got dropped, but it’s
still a sandwich — the same as it always has been.”

As you were, comrades.

--
Ambassador Trentino: "I am willing to do anything to prevent this
war."

Bertel Lund Hansen

Aug 30, 2022, 2:12:59 PM8/30/22
Den 30.08.2022 kl. 18.55 skrev Adam Funk:

> “In the 1880s and 1890s and 1990s, the names ‘sausage sandwich’ and
> ‘hot dog sandwich’ were common. ‘Sandwich’ got dropped, but it’s
> still a sandwich — the same as it always has been.”

In my (Danish) mind a sandwich consists of two separate pieces of white
bread with something in between.

A hotdog in Denmark is a sausage put in a partly sliced long bun with
stuff added on top. We wouldn't call that a sandwich.

--
Bertel

lar3ryca

Aug 30, 2022, 4:06:47 PM8/30/22
On 2022-08-30 12:12, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
> Den 30.08.2022 kl. 18.55 skrev Adam Funk:
>
>>    “In the 1880s and 1890s and 1990s, the names ‘sausage sandwich’ and
>>    ‘hot dog sandwich’ were common. ‘Sandwich’ got dropped, but it’s
>>    still a sandwich — the same as it always has been.”
>
> In my (Danish) mind a sandwich consists of two separate pieces of white
> bread with something in between.

I'll have to remember that if I ever visit Denmark again. Suppose I
wanted a 'ham on rye <something>'. What would that <something> be
called, if not a sandwich?

> A hotdog in Denmark is a sausage put in a partly sliced long bun with
> stuff added on top. We wouldn't call that a sandwich.

--
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of
Congress.

Tony Cooper

Aug 30, 2022, 4:30:40 PM8/30/22
That's a perennial argument in this group.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I had a hot dog sandwich for
lunch" or anything like that.

However, if someone says they are going to have a sandwich for lunch,
that doesn't mean they won't order a hot dog.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "They offer hot dogs and
several types of sandwiches." or anything like that.

In other words, "sandwiches" can include hot dogs, but hot dogs are
not sandwiches.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida

I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment.

Bertel Lund Hansen

Aug 30, 2022, 5:34:36 PM8/30/22
Den 30.08.2022 kl. 22.06 skrev lar3ryca:

> I'll have to remember that if I ever visit Denmark again. Suppose I
> wanted a 'ham on rye <something>'. What would that <something> be
> called, if not a sandwich?

The Danish word is "smørrebrød" (literally: butterbread) which you can't
pronounce. That is what we eat for lunch and at some parties. It is
"rugbrød" (rye bread/dark bread) with some food item and toppings.

Pictures here (where you can't see the bread):
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=sm%C3%B8rrebr%C3%B8d&iax=images&ia=images

You can se the bare bread here (sticking out of the paper bag):
https://dk-spisbedre-production.imgix.net/images/recipes/rugbrodssandwich-med-roget-laks-og-flodeost_5285.jpg?fit=crop&crop=focalpoint&fp-x=0.5&fp-y=0.595458984375&fp-z=1&w=1200&h=628

If an englishspeaking person were to order bread with ham, I'd recommend
that you say:

rye bread with ham

"Rye bread" ist not too far from "rugbrød", and we understand English.

--
Bertel

Bertel Lund Hansen

Aug 30, 2022, 5:36:53 PM8/30/22
Den 30.08.2022 kl. 22.30 skrev Tony Cooper:

>> A hotdog in Denmark is a sausage put in a partly sliced long bun with
>> stuff added on top. We wouldn't call that a sandwich.

> That's a perennial argument in this group.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

> In other words, "sandwiches" can include hot dogs, but hot dogs are
> not sandwiches.

No Dane would consider that a sandwich could be a hotdog.

--
Bertel

Tony Cooper

Aug 30, 2022, 5:57:40 PM8/30/22
On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 23:34:34 +0200, Bertel Lund Hansen
<gade...@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

>Den 30.08.2022 kl. 22.06 skrev lar3ryca:
>
>> I'll have to remember that if I ever visit Denmark again. Suppose I
>> wanted a 'ham on rye <something>'. What would that <something> be
>> called, if not a sandwich?
>
>The Danish word is "smørrebrød" (literally: butterbread) which you can't
>pronounce. That is what we eat for lunch and at some parties. It is
>"rugbrød" (rye bread/dark bread) with some food item and toppings.

I don't see smørrebrød as a type of sandwich. As you said in another
post: "In my (Danish) mind a sandwich consists of two separate pieces
of white bread with something in between."

There is only one piece of bread in smørrebrød.

Smørrebrød is often referred to as an "open-faced sandwich" because
there is no top bread, but that's a conflict of terms. If you can
argue that a hot dog is not a sandwich because it's not filling
between two separate pieces of bread, you can certainly argue that
smørrebrød is not a sandwich because it is not filling between two
separate pieces of bread.

I quite enjoyed the various toppings on smørrebrød on my trips to
Denmark. Except for one: lard.

Tak for mad (pronounced tak for mel) is the only Danish I learned.

>Pictures here (where you can't see the bread):
>https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=sm%C3%B8rrebr%C3%B8d&iax=images&ia=images
>
>You can se the bare bread here (sticking out of the paper bag):
>https://dk-spisbedre-production.imgix.net/images/recipes/rugbrodssandwich-med-roget-laks-og-flodeost_5285.jpg?fit=crop&crop=focalpoint&fp-x=0.5&fp-y=0.595458984375&fp-z=1&w=1200&h=628
>
>If an englishspeaking person were to order bread with ham, I'd recommend
>that you say:
>
> rye bread with ham
>
>"Rye bread" ist not too far from "rugbrød", and we understand English.

Mack A. Damia

Aug 30, 2022, 6:00:58 PM8/30/22
Merriam-Webster:

Definition of sandwich (Entry 1 of 2)
1a: two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in
between

Peter Moylan

Aug 30, 2022, 11:59:43 PM8/30/22
At an Australian election, you'll often see people selling sausage
sandwiches outside polling booths. The practice has become so common
that the term "democracy sandwich" is now in use.

And they are definitely sandwiches, because the sausage (usually
together with fried onions and tomato sauce) is put between two slices
of bread. If instead a hot dog roll had been used, the result would have
been called a sausage roll.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Aug 31, 2022, 5:16:23 AM8/31/22
On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 16:30:36 -0400
Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 20:12:57 +0200, Bertel Lund Hansen
> <gade...@lundhansen.dk> wrote:
>
> >Den 30.08.2022 kl. 18.55 skrev Adam Funk:
> >
> >> “In the 1880s and 1890s and 1990s, the names ‘sausage sandwich’ and
[]

> That's a perennial argument in this group.

And now it's xposted to kibology.

FU to aue only

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Janet

Aug 31, 2022, 9:21:12 AM8/31/22
In article <temmbd$1nckp$1...@dont-email.me>,
pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid says...

> On 31/08/22 04:12, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
> > Den 30.08.2022 kl. 18.55 skrev Adam Funk:
> >
> >> ?In the 1880s and 1890s and 1990s, the names ?sausage sandwich? and
> >> ?hot dog sandwich? were common. ?Sandwich? got dropped, but it?s
> >> still a sandwich ? the same as it always has been.?
> >
> > In my (Danish) mind a sandwich consists of two separate pieces of
> > white bread with something in between.
> >
> > A hotdog in Denmark is a sausage put in a partly sliced long bun
> > with stuff added on top. We wouldn't call that a sandwich.
>
> At an Australian election, you'll often see people selling sausage
> sandwiches outside polling booths. The practice has become so common
> that the term "democracy sandwich" is now in use.
>
> And they are definitely sandwiches, because the sausage (usually
> together with fried onions and tomato sauce) is put between two slices
> of bread. If instead a hot dog roll had been used, the result would have
> been called a sausage roll.

IRRC from long ago, "sausage sandwich" was enjoyed by
threesomes.

Janet

Ken Blake

Aug 31, 2022, 11:34:15 AM8/31/22
<tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 20:12:57 +0200, Bertel Lund Hansen
><gade...@lundhansen.dk> wrote:
>
>>Den 30.08.2022 kl. 18.55 skrev Adam Funk:
>>
>>> “In the 1880s and 1890s and 1990s, the names ‘sausage sandwich’ and
>>> ‘hot dog sandwich’ were common. ‘Sandwich’ got dropped, but it’s
>>> still a sandwich — the same as it always has been.”
>>
>>In my (Danish) mind a sandwich consists of two separate pieces of white
>>bread with something in between.
>>
>>A hotdog in Denmark is a sausage put in a partly sliced long bun with
>>stuff added on top. We wouldn't call that a sandwich.
>

>That's a perennial argument in this group.

Yes.

>I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I had a hot dog sandwich for
>lunch" or anything like that.

Nor have I. But even if the word" sandwich" isn't part of its name, I
consider a "hot dog" to be a kind of sandwich.

I drive a Toyota. Even though "car" isn't part of its name (I would
never say "I drive a Toyota car"), I consider a Toyota a be a kind of
car.

To me, a "sandwich" is "stuff" between bread. The bread can be two
separate pieces or it can be hinged, like a hotdog bun, and the hinge
on the bun can even be broken apart to make it two separate pieces.

The "stuff " on a sandwich is "sandwiched" between bread, and by
extension, in the word "sandwiched," the stuff can be something other
than food, and what it's sandwiched between doesn't have to be bread.

The subway car was so crowded that I was standing, tightly sandwiched
between two fat women.

And to me, a sandwich doesn't have to be on *white* bread. It can be
on any type of bread. The bread can also be toasted, for example on a
BLT.

The name "hot dog" apparently confuses some people since it be used in
two different ways: as a type of sausage and as that sausage on a hot
dog bun. To me, both are hot dogs, but the one on a bun is a sandwich.
A hot dog on a bun is a hot dog.

The same with "hamburger." A hamburger on a bun is a hamburger. A
hamburger is also a type of sandwich.

I'm sure I'll get lots of disagreement with everything I say above.,
but that's my view. Everyone else is entitled to his own view. I'm not
trying to convince that I'm right and you're wrong. There are many
example of not everyone using words in the same way; this is just one.

>However, if someone says they are going to have a sandwich for lunch,
>that doesn't mean they won't order a hot dog.

Right.

>I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "They offer hot dogs and
>several types of sandwiches." or anything like that.

Nor have I.

>In other words, "sandwiches" can include hot dogs, but hot dogs are
>not sandwiches.

That sounds like a contradiction to me, but you're apparently not the
only one here who doesn't consider hot dogs to be sandwiches, as I do.

Ken Blake

Aug 31, 2022, 11:37:07 AM8/31/22
Other than my saying "stuff" instead of "filling," that's much the
same thing I said in another reply a few moments ago.

Ken Blake

Aug 31, 2022, 11:41:10 AM8/31/22
I still remember from about 65 years ago the Polish-Argentinian chess
grandmaster Najdorf saying that he liked a Najdorf sandwich.

Tony Cooper

Aug 31, 2022, 12:05:55 PM8/31/22
On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 08:34:12 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 16:30:36 -0400, Tony Cooper
><tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 20:12:57 +0200, Bertel Lund Hansen
>><gade...@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

>>>In my (Danish) mind a sandwich consists of two separate pieces of white
>>>bread with something in between.
>>>
>>>A hotdog in Denmark is a sausage put in a partly sliced long bun with
>>>stuff added on top. We wouldn't call that a sandwich.
>>

>>That's a perennial argument in this group.
>

>Yes.
>
>>I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I had a hot dog sandwich for
>>lunch" or anything like that.
>

>Nor have I. But even if the word" sandwich" isn't part of its name, I
>consider a "hot dog" to be a kind of sandwich.
>
>I drive a Toyota. Even though "car" isn't part of its name (I would
>never say "I drive a Toyota car"), I consider a Toyota a be a kind of
>car.

My eldest grandson just purchased a Toyota truck. To say that he just
purchased a Toyota would not communicate what he purchased.

He's more likely to say that he just purchased a Toyota Tacoma because
anyone he's speaking to is likely to know that a Tocoma is a pick-up
truck. In this group, the model name would mean anything to many
readers.
You have misjudged me. I would not question the use of a hot dog
being called a sandwich, and I would not question the denial that a
hot dog is a sandwich. It's not a point worth debating.

Tony Cooper

Aug 31, 2022, 12:13:31 PM8/31/22
On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 12:05:51 -0400, Tony Cooper
The intending wording was "would not mean anything". The fingers did
not comply with the intention.

Tony Cooper

Aug 31, 2022, 12:15:15 PM8/31/22
On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 12:13:29 -0400, Tony Cooper
Oh, dear. "The intended..." of course.

Ken Blake

Aug 31, 2022, 1:24:15 PM8/31/22
On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 12:05:51 -0400, Tony Cooper
Right. The same could true of an SUV. But if someone says, "I just
purchased a Toyota," without specifying what kind, he's almost
certainly referring to a car.

Ken Blake

Aug 31, 2022, 1:26:16 PM8/31/22
On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 12:05:51 -0400, Tony Cooper
No, I didn't misjudge you. I apparently misinterpreted what you meant,
but I'm not sure why.

> It's not a point worth debating.

OK.

Ken Blake

Aug 31, 2022, 1:28:43 PM8/31/22
On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 12:13:29 -0400, Tony Cooper
That's typo that I also often make "Not" is a word that I sometimes
leave out.

Oddly, I didn't notice that it was missing when I replied.

lar3ryca

Aug 31, 2022, 3:18:51 PM8/31/22
Skitted your self.
I have a boomerang that won't come back. I call it my stick.

Mack A. Damia

Aug 31, 2022, 3:45:04 PM8/31/22
On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 08:37:04 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
One of those issues that people will never agree on as in "You say
toMAHto and I say tomMAYto".

I guess one point is that it is NOT a "sandwich"; it is a "hot dog" or
a "hamburger".

But I have never asked for a "hot dog sandwich" or "hamburger
sandwich".

I won't lose any sleep over it.

Anders D. Nygaard

Aug 31, 2022, 3:49:21 PM8/31/22
Den 31-08-2022 kl. 19:24 skrev Ken Blake:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 12:05:51 -0400, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 08:34:12 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I drive a Toyota. Even though "car" isn't part of its name (I would
>>> never say "I drive a Toyota car"), I consider a Toyota a be a kind of
>>> car.
>>
>> My eldest grandson just purchased a Toyota truck. To say that he just
>> purchased a Toyota would not communicate what he purchased.
>
> Right. The same could true of an SUV. But if someone says, "I just
> purchased a Toyota," without specifying what kind, he's almost
> certainly referring to a car.

Which practically begs the question: Is an SUV a car or not?

/Anders, Denmark

lar3ryca

Aug 31, 2022, 4:09:52 PM8/31/22
Nor will I, but it prompted me to ask what you would call what I know as
an 'open face sandwich'.

And more particularly, there is a dish widely available in restaurants
in the class of 'diner', known as a 'hot hamburger, which consists of a
slice of bread, topped with a hamburger patty, and with a dollop of
gravy, and usually accompanied by potatos (usually fries), and vegetables?

What would you call this?

--
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea

lar3ryca

Aug 31, 2022, 4:12:33 PM8/31/22
obAUE: I think you probably meant 'raises the question".

My answer to the question raised would be yes.

--
I’m a peripheral visionary.
I can see into the future, but just way off to the side.

Richard Heathfield

Aug 31, 2022, 4:15:54 PM8/31/22
Cue the traditional "begs" vs "raises" fight.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Tony Cooper

Aug 31, 2022, 4:20:55 PM8/31/22
Me, me, me! Can I answer?

In my area, it would be a "Manhattan".

https://cookthink.com/the-best-beef-manhattan-recipe/

"My area" includes Florida, Illinois, and Indiana. All areas in which
I've ordered one.

Note that in the link above it says that it originated in
Indianapolis. So did I.

I wonder if it's called a "Hoosier" in Manhattan.

Mack A. Damia

Aug 31, 2022, 5:12:15 PM8/31/22
On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 14:09:48 -0600, lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:

I would call it an "open-face sandwich". I would order it as it
appears on the menu. Offhand, I can only think of an "open-face hot
roast beef sandwich".

>And more particularly, there is a dish widely available in restaurants
>in the class of 'diner', known as a 'hot hamburger, which consists of a
>slice of bread, topped with a hamburger patty, and with a dollop of
>gravy, and usually accompanied by potatos (usually fries), and vegetables?
>
>What would you call this?

I have seen "Hamburger-steak sandwich", "Salisbury Steak Open-Face
Sandwich", "Open Face Hamburger Steak Sandwich" - but again, I would
order it as it appears on the menu, and ususally there is a
description. "Beef Patty sandwich", too. Don't forget "Patty-Melts"
(Ground beef, swiss cheese, caramelized onions, sourdough)

Paul Wolff

Aug 31, 2022, 6:57:19 PM8/31/22
On Wed, 31 Aug 2022, at 21:15:52, Richard Heathfield posted:
>On 31/08/2022 8:49 pm, Anders D. Nygaard wrote:

>>> Right. The same could true of an SUV. But if someone says, "I just
>>> purchased a Toyota," without specifying what kind, he's almost
>>> certainly referring to a car.
>> Which practically begs the question: Is an SUV a car or not?
>
>Cue the traditional "begs" vs "raises" fight.

Forget that. As a matter of English usage, why not debate SUVs, MPVs and
crossovers - as well as all the other obscurationist terms that have
sprung from automotive manufacturers' marketing departments. Far more
practical for those of us thinking of dipping a toe in there.
--
Paul

Paul Wolff

Aug 31, 2022, 6:57:19 PM8/31/22
On Wed, 31 Aug 2022, at 14:09:48, lar3ryca posted:
A misteak.
--
Paul

Ken Blake

Aug 31, 2022, 7:39:49 PM8/31/22
Of course it is. It's a specific type of car,

Ken Blake

Aug 31, 2022, 7:42:21 PM8/31/22
On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 14:09:48 -0600, lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:

I wouldn't call it anything. I've never seen the term nor heard of it
before.

Peter Moylan

Aug 31, 2022, 9:22:40 PM8/31/22
I think there's a legal difference in this country. I was told that an
SUV doesn't have to have the same stability as a car, because
technically an SUV is a truck and has to adhere to truck rules.

It's possible, though, that that information is out of date.

Peter Moylan

Aug 31, 2022, 9:26:03 PM8/31/22
On 01/09/22 01:34, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 16:30:36 -0400, Tony Cooper
> <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I had a hot dog sandwich
>> for lunch" or anything like that.
>
> Nor have I. But even if the word" sandwich" isn't part of its name,
> I consider a "hot dog" to be a kind of sandwich.

"I thought you were going to have a sandwich."
"I changed my mind. I bought a hot dog instead."

That would be a normal conversation in my part of the word. Apparently
not in yours, though.

lar3ryca

Sep 1, 2022, 12:25:39 AM9/1/22
But have you seen the dish itself?

--
“If I had nine of my fingers missing I wouldn’t type any slower.”
— Mitch Hedberg

Tony Cooper

Sep 1, 2022, 12:55:09 AM9/1/22
While a hamburger patty is included as one of the meats that could be
in a Manhattan, it's more likely that he's seen the dish with sliced
beef.

I've never seen it with fries. Mashed potatoes, always. I suppose
you can ask the cook for fries instead of mashed. What I'm accustomed
to is a slice of bread covered with meat and mashed potatoes and gravy
on top.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 1, 2022, 3:48:48 AM9/1/22
On Thu, 01 Sep 2022 00:55:03 -0400
Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

[burger onna plate]

> While a hamburger patty is included as one of the meats that could be
> in a Manhattan, it's more likely that he's seen the dish with sliced
> beef.

I was under the impression that a Manhattan was cocktail.

> I've never seen it with fries. Mashed potatoes, always. I suppose
> you can ask the cook for fries instead of mashed. What I'm accustomed
> to is a slice of bread covered with meat and mashed potatoes and gravy
> on top.
>

> --
>
> Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida
>
> I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

CDB

Sep 1, 2022, 7:23:50 AM9/1/22
On 8/31/2022 12:05 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>> Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That's a perennial argument in this group.

>> Yes.

>>> I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I had a hot dog
>>> sandwich for lunch" or anything like that.

>> Nor have I. But even if the word" sandwich" isn't part of its name,
>> I consider a "hot dog" to be a kind of sandwich.

>> I drive a Toyota. Even though "car" isn't part of its name (I
>> would never say "I drive a Toyota car"), I consider a Toyota a be a
>> kind of car

> My eldest grandson just purchased a Toyota truck. To say that he
> just purchased a Toyota would not communicate what he purchased.

> He's more likely to say that he just purchased a Toyota Tacoma
> because anyone he's speaking to is likely to know that a Tocoma is a
> pick-up truck. In this group, the model name would mean anything to
> many readers.

An interesting example in which the loss of "not" doesn't quite reverse
the meaning.

>> To me, a "sandwich" is "stuff" between bread. The bread can be
>> two separate pieces or it can be hinged, like a hotdog bun, and the
>> hinge on the bun can even be broken apart to make it two separate
>> pieces.

>> The "stuff " on a sandwich is "sandwiched" between bread, and by
>> extension, in the word "sandwiched," the stuff can be something
>> other than food, and what it's sandwiched between doesn't have to
>> be bread.

>> The subway car was so crowded that I was standing, tightly
>> sandwiched between two fat women.

DYM "shrewsburied"? A show-host on WBZ (radio 103) in Boston, on late
enough at night to be received in Ottawa, used to maintain that the
"sandwich" had really been invented by the Earl of Shrewsbury. In the
context above, his point seems especially apt.
Sez you. WIWAK, I sometimes had a hotdog sandwich for lunch: a couple
of wieners, cooked and sliced lengthwise, between two slices of buttered
bread, with suitable condiments.

CDB

Sep 1, 2022, 7:37:55 AM9/1/22
On 8/31/2022 11:41 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> Janet <nob...@home.com> wrote:
>> pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid says...

>>> At an Australian election, you'll often see people selling
>>> sausage sandwiches outside polling booths. The practice has
>>> become so common that the term "democracy sandwich" is now in
>>> use.

>>> And they are definitely sandwiches, because the sausage (usually
>>> together with fried onions and tomato sauce) is put between two
>>> slices of bread. If instead a hot dog roll had been used, the
>>> result would have been called a sausage roll.

>> IRRC from long ago, "sausage sandwich" was enjoyed by threesomes.

> I still remember from about 65 years ago the Polish-Argentinian chess
> grandmaster Najdorf saying that he liked a Najdorf sandwich.

AKA a "lucky Miguel", a Polish grandmaster between two slices of beef.

--
Well, then, he should have said what it was.

Adam Funk

Sep 1, 2022, 8:15:04 AM9/1/22
Interesting. I don't think I've seen that before under either name. To
me a Manhattan is a cocktail.

--
We'll tell you anything you want to hear, we lie like hell.
--Howard Beale

Adam Funk

Sep 1, 2022, 8:15:04 AM9/1/22
On 2022-08-31, Peter Moylan wrote:

> On 31/08/22 04:12, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
>> Den 30.08.2022 kl. 18.55 skrev Adam Funk:
>>
>>> “In the 1880s and 1890s and 1990s, the names ‘sausage sandwich’ and
>>> ‘hot dog sandwich’ were common. ‘Sandwich’ got dropped, but it’s
>>> still a sandwich — the same as it always has been.”
>>
>> In my (Danish) mind a sandwich consists of two separate pieces of
>> white bread with something in between.
>>
>> A hotdog in Denmark is a sausage put in a partly sliced long bun
>> with stuff added on top. We wouldn't call that a sandwich.
>
> At an Australian election, you'll often see people selling sausage
> sandwiches outside polling booths. The practice has become so common
> that the term "democracy sandwich" is now in use.
>
> And they are definitely sandwiches, because the sausage (usually
> together with fried onions and tomato sauce) is put between two slices
> of bread. If instead a hot dog roll had been used, the result would have
> been called a sausage roll.

Is it one sausage between square slices of bread, so it has a lump
through the middle?

--
Imagine he was me and I was called Frankenstein

Ken Blake

Sep 1, 2022, 12:43:51 PM9/1/22
Right, as far as I'm concerned. I can't speak for everyone in the US,
but at least not to me.

Ken Blake

Sep 1, 2022, 12:44:30 PM9/1/22
On Thu, 01 Sep 2022 13:11:38 +0100, Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com>
wrote:

>On 2022-08-31, Tony Cooper wrote:

Same for me.

Ken Blake

Sep 1, 2022, 12:47:00 PM9/1/22
No. My saying "or heard of it" was meant to include "not seen it."

Ken Blake

Sep 1, 2022, 12:54:24 PM9/1/22
On Thu, 1 Sep 2022 11:22:38 +1000, Peter Moylan
<pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>On 01/09/22 05:49, Anders D. Nygaard wrote:
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> Right. The same could true of an SUV. But if someone says, "I just
>>> purchased a Toyota," without specifying what kind, he's almost
>>> certainly referring to a car.
>>
>> Which practically begs the question: Is an SUV a car or not?
>
>I think there's a legal difference in this country.

I don't know about Australia, but I don't think that's so in the US.

>I was told that an
>SUV doesn't have to have the same stability as a car, because
>technically an SUV is a truck and has to adhere to truck rules.

I wouldn't say an SUV is the same as a truck. Yes, it's built on a
pickup truck frame, but that doesn't make it the same.

Is a pickup truck less stable than a sedan? I know very little about
trucks.

And by the way, some vehicles that to me are essentially the same as
SUVs are built on sedan frames. Car manufacturers call them
"crossovers" rather than "trucks," but to me they're the same; I don't
care what frame they're built on; SUVS and crossovers essentially have
the same shape and to me it's that shape that should determine their
name. So perhaps I'm unusual in that respect, but I call both types
SUVs.

Ken Blake

Sep 1, 2022, 1:00:24 PM9/1/22
Yes, I've seen it with thinly-sliced roast beef, but never with a
hamburger patty, and it was never called a "Manhattan."

>I've never seen it with fries. Mashed potatoes, always.

Same for me.

Ken Blake

Sep 1, 2022, 1:03:12 PM9/1/22
On Thu, 1 Sep 2022 08:48:47 +0100, "Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Sep 2022 00:55:03 -0400
>Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>[burger onna plate]
>>
>> While a hamburger patty is included as one of the meats that could be
>> in a Manhattan, it's more likely that he's seen the dish with sliced
>> beef.
>
>I was under the impression that a Manhattan was cocktail.

To me, yes. And one I don't like.

Cocktail, ginger ale,
five cents a glass.
If you don't like it,....

I remember that song from my childhood. Why it just popped into my
head, I don't know,

Ken Blake

Sep 1, 2022, 1:05:23 PM9/1/22
>Well, then, he should have said what it was.

It was very clear what he meant.

Ken Blake

Sep 1, 2022, 1:08:28 PM9/1/22
On Thu, 01 Sep 2022 13:09:48 +0100, Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com>
wrote:
I've never had such a sausage sandwich between two slices of bread,
but if I were making one, I'd cut the sausages lengthwise into several
slices and arrange them side by side.

Anders D. Nygaard

Sep 1, 2022, 4:06:12 PM9/1/22
Den 31-08-2022 kl. 22:15 skrev Richard Heathfield:
> On 31/08/2022 8:49 pm, Anders D. Nygaard wrote:

>>> Right. The same could true of an SUV. But if someone says, "I just
>>> purchased a Toyota," without specifying what kind, he's almost
>>> certainly referring to a car.
>>
>> Which practically begs the question: Is an SUV a car or not?
>
> Cue the traditional "begs" vs "raises" fight.

Ah - you noticed!

/Anders, Denmark

Tony Cooper

Sep 1, 2022, 4:08:11 PM9/1/22
On Thu, 01 Sep 2022 09:44:28 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
Of course it is. Just because a word has one meaning in one context
doesn't mean it can't have a different meaning in another context.

That's like say "a bridge" is a span over water. A dentist doesn't
fit you with a bridge over water, though.

Mack A. Damia

Sep 1, 2022, 4:44:07 PM9/1/22
Harlem is a neighboorhood in upper Manhattan. When I was teaching
there, we had a Christmas party for the teachers, and we went to a
local bar.

I asked for a Manhattan, and the bartender didn't know what I was
talking about.

Ken Blake

Sep 1, 2022, 5:14:35 PM9/1/22
On Thu, 01 Sep 2022 16:08:08 -0400, Tony Cooper
Sigh.

I didn't suggest otherwise. Note that I said "interesting" not
"bullshit," and I said "I don't think I've seen that before under
either name." I did *not* say "that's not what a Manhattan is, and I
said "to me," not "that's wrong." To *me*, obviously not to everybody.
It's interesting to me that others use a word in a way that I didn't
know existed.

Your signature says "I read and post to this group as a form of
entertainment." It seems more and more that you treat arguing with
others here (lately, especially me) as your preferred form of
entertainment.

You don't have to agree with everything I say, but my post had nothing
to agree or disagree with unless you think you know what I've seen
before. And if you want to disagree with a statement I make, that's
fine; we don't have to have the same opinions on everything. But if
you do disagree, please do it a whole lot more politely. Don't try to
make an argument out of it.

If arguing is your form of entertainment, that's fine with me. You can
do whatever you please, but I won't participate in arguments with you,
nor do I want to see your arguments with others. You probably won't
stop, but if you don't, you'll soon be the next addition to my
killfile. I'm not interested in reading arguments as opposed to
discussions from you, nor from anyone else.

I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I don't want to
killfile you, because many of your non-argumentative posts are
interesting, on more than one occasion, I've learned something from
what you posted, and when you post links to your photographs, I
generally like them. Nevertheless, I'm on the verge of killfiling you.
So I'll try to ask politely: *please* stop being argumentative so I
won't have to killfile you.

Ken Blake

Sep 1, 2022, 5:22:18 PM9/1/22
On Thu, 01 Sep 2022 13:44:04 -0700, Mack A. Damia
Yes, I know. As I've said, I'm an ex-New Yorker.

>When I was teaching
>there, we had a Christmas party for the teachers, and we went to a
>local bar.
>
>I asked for a Manhattan, and the bartender didn't know what I was
>talking about.

I'll believe you, of course, but that seems very odd. As far as I
know, a Manhattan is well-known kind of cocktail

Any possibility that the bartender was pulling your leg?

Mark Brader

Sep 1, 2022, 5:30:35 PM9/1/22
Ken Blake:
> I've never had such a sausage sandwich between two slices of bread,
> but if I were making one, I'd cut the sausages lengthwise into several
> slices and arrange them side by side.

I had one of those in England once. I thought it was a fine idea.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Just because it's correct doesn't
m...@vex.net make it right!" -- Jonas Schlein

Mack A. Damia

Sep 1, 2022, 5:42:50 PM9/1/22
On Thu, 01 Sep 2022 14:22:15 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
Not in my experience, and he would be losing money. He was taking
orders from all the teachers, and it would be a stupid time to pull my
leg.

Maybe he didn't have much bartending experience. I think one of the
other teachers quietly told me to "order something else".

Ken Blake

Sep 1, 2022, 7:55:50 PM9/1/22
On Thu, 01 Sep 2022 21:30:29 +0000, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>Ken Blake:
>> I've never had such a sausage sandwich between two slices of bread,
>> but if I were making one, I'd cut the sausages lengthwise into several
>> slices and arrange them side by side.
>
>I had one of those in England once. I thought it was a fine idea.

So I've been pre-invented?

Peter Moylan

Sep 1, 2022, 9:41:29 PM9/1/22
There's no standard, so it's different in different places. Sometimes
it's like that. Sometimes it's just one slice of bread, folded. I think
we'd still call that a sandwich.

If the guy with the portable barbecue is a good cook, you might even get
an egg with the sausage. Then two slices of bread are definitely needed.

Nearly everyone adds fried onion, though.

Bertel Lund Hansen

Sep 2, 2022, 3:58:29 AM9/2/22
Den 01.09.2022 kl. 23.22 skrev Ken Blake:

>> Harlem is a neighboorhood in upper Manhattan.

> Yes, I know.

Doesn't everybody? I have known it for donkey's years.

--
Bertel

Adam Funk

Sep 2, 2022, 7:00:04 AM9/2/22
Jokes about Australian cuisine are left as an exercise for the reader.

> Nearly everyone adds fried onion, though.

--
...the reason why so many professional artists drink a lot is not
necessarily very much to do with the artistic temperament, etc. It is

Adam Funk

Sep 2, 2022, 7:00:04 AM9/2/22
Ken & I weren't disputing the veracity of your Manhattan anecdotes.

Top 10 DDG results out of curiosity:

Manhattan: the place, the film, & a TV series about the atomic bomb

Manhattan recipe [no quotes]: just the cocktail

I had to try 'Manhattan sandwich' [without quotes] to get the beef &
gravy item. The second one is amusingly on the "Hillbilly Housewife"
site.

--
And don't forget my dog, fixed and consequent

Peter Moylan

Sep 2, 2022, 7:26:21 AM9/2/22
On 02/09/22 20:56, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2022-09-02, Peter Moylan wrote:

>> If the guy with the portable barbecue is a good cook, you might
>> even get an egg with the sausage. Then two slices of bread are
>> definitely needed.
>
> Jokes about Australian cuisine are left as an exercise for the
> reader.

This, of course, falls into the category of what is usually called
street food. A sit-down restaurant is definitely not part of the picture.

If you want truly horrifying Australian street food, I can suggest the
"floater", an Adelaide specialty. It's a meat pie floating in a bowl of
soup. I have seen one, but didn't dare taste it.

P.S. The Thunderbird spelling checker doesn't like "specialty". Google
says that specialty and speciality have the same meaning. I perceive a
subtle difference, but I can't explain it.

Adam Funk

Sep 2, 2022, 9:00:06 AM9/2/22
On 2022-09-02, Peter Moylan wrote:

> On 02/09/22 20:56, Adam Funk wrote:
>> On 2022-09-02, Peter Moylan wrote:
>
>>> If the guy with the portable barbecue is a good cook, you might
>>> even get an egg with the sausage. Then two slices of bread are
>>> definitely needed.
>>
>> Jokes about Australian cuisine are left as an exercise for the
>> reader.
>
> This, of course, falls into the category of what is usually called
> street food. A sit-down restaurant is definitely not part of the picture.
>
> If you want truly horrifying Australian street food, I can suggest the
> "floater", an Adelaide specialty. It's a meat pie floating in a bowl of
> soup. I have seen one, but didn't dare taste it.

I don't think I'd heard of that, but apparently it's quite famous:

<https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/adelaide-s-pie-floater-fights-losing-battle-in-fast-food-war-81392.html>

This claims it's based on two Yorkshire traditions, pea & pie supper &
dumplings in soup, but I think that attribution might be stretching
it:

<https://living.cityofadelaide.com.au/the-pie-floater-adelaides-most-famous-culinary-contribution/>

> P.S. The Thunderbird spelling checker doesn't like "specialty". Google
> says that specialty and speciality have the same meaning. I perceive a
> subtle difference, but I can't explain it.

--
I've had a few myself, he said,
but I never quit when I'm ahead

Bertel Lund Hansen

Sep 2, 2022, 9:53:55 AM9/2/22
Den 02.09.2022 kl. 13.26 skrev Peter Moylan:

> P.S. The Thunderbird spelling checker doesn't like "specialty". Google
> says that specialty and speciality have the same meaning.

Oxford Learner's Dictionary and Dictionary.com say the samme. The latter
calls "speciality" "chiefly British".

--
Bertel

Ken Blake

Sep 2, 2022, 10:31:16 AM9/2/22
On Fri, 02 Sep 2022 11:55:26 +0100, Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com>
Right.

>Top 10 DDG results out of curiosity:

I would have missed understanding what DDG was if I hadn't made a post
mentioning DuckDuckGo moments ago.

Ken Blake

Sep 2, 2022, 10:45:05 AM9/2/22
Saki's "The Open Window" is one of my favorite short stories. It ends
with the line

"Romance at short notice was her speciality.

I must have read it dozens of time before I realized that the last
word wasn't "specialty."

Peter Moylan

Sep 2, 2022, 10:49:48 AM9/2/22
On 02/09/22 22:59, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2022-09-02, Peter Moylan wrote:

>>> Jokes about Australian cuisine are left as an exercise for the
>>> reader.
>>
>> This, of course, falls into the category of what is usually called
>> street food. A sit-down restaurant is definitely not part of the picture.
>>
>> If you want truly horrifying Australian street food, I can suggest the
>> "floater", an Adelaide specialty. It's a meat pie floating in a bowl of
>> soup. I have seen one, but didn't dare taste it.
>
> I don't think I'd heard of that, but apparently it's quite famous:
>
> <https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/adelaide-s-pie-floater-fights-losing-battle-in-fast-food-war-81392.html>

Although I'm not a fan of the floater, I do regret the possible loss of
a tradition. I am in favour of these traditions, even when they are not
mine.

Note that, according to these traditions, one has to be inebriated to
enjoy the fare on offer. I've never been drunk in Adelaide, so I can
hardly complain.

A comparable tradition in Newcastle is Harry's Cafe de Wheels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry%27s_Cafe_de_Wheels

Somehow, I have never been drunk at night in the middle of Newcastle,
but if I had been I would certainly have looked for munchies at Harry's
tram.

> This claims it's based on two Yorkshire traditions, pea & pie supper &
> dumplings in soup, but I think that attribution might be stretching
> it:
>
> <https://living.cityofadelaide.com.au/the-pie-floater-adelaides-most-famous-culinary-contribution/>

There might perhaps be a connection, but I couldn't possibly comment.

Tony Cooper

Sep 2, 2022, 11:01:26 AM9/2/22
On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 00:49:43 +1000, Peter Moylan
<pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>On 02/09/22 22:59, Adam Funk wrote:

>>> This, of course, falls into the category of what is usually called
>>> street food. A sit-down restaurant is definitely not part of the picture.
>>>
>>> If you want truly horrifying Australian street food, I can suggest the
>>> "floater", an Adelaide specialty. It's a meat pie floating in a bowl of
>>> soup. I have seen one, but didn't dare taste it.
>>
>> I don't think I'd heard of that, but apparently it's quite famous:
>>
>> <https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/adelaide-s-pie-floater-fights-losing-battle-in-fast-food-war-81392.html>
>
>Although I'm not a fan of the floater, I do regret the possible loss of
>a tradition. I am in favour of these traditions, even when they are not
>mine.

The description of a "floater" in this group was the first time I'd
heard of it.

Unfortunately, the term "floater" in the US is used to describe a
solid object remaining in the toilet after it has been flushed.

That rather prejudices me against trying the Australian dish.

>Note that, according to these traditions, one has to be inebriated to
>enjoy the fare on offer. I've never been drunk in Adelaide, so I can
>hardly complain.
>
>A comparable tradition in Newcastle is Harry's Cafe de Wheels.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry%27s_Cafe_de_Wheels
>
>Somehow, I have never been drunk at night in the middle of Newcastle,
>but if I had been I would certainly have looked for munchies at Harry's
>tram.
>
>> This claims it's based on two Yorkshire traditions, pea & pie supper &
>> dumplings in soup, but I think that attribution might be stretching
>> it:
>>
>> <https://living.cityofadelaide.com.au/the-pie-floater-adelaides-most-famous-culinary-contribution/>
>
>There might perhaps be a connection, but I couldn't possibly comment.
--

Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida

Mack A. Damia

Sep 2, 2022, 11:10:32 AM9/2/22
You might be surprised at the number of people who don't know that
Harlem is a neighborhood in Manhattan.

Methinks it is not widely known unless you come from that general
area.

lar3ryca

Sep 2, 2022, 4:44:06 PM9/2/22
I have a rather noticeable floater in my right eye. No it was never in a
toilet.

>> Note that, according to these traditions, one has to be inebriated to
>> enjoy the fare on offer. I've never been drunk in Adelaide, so I can
>> hardly complain.
>>
>> A comparable tradition in Newcastle is Harry's Cafe de Wheels.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry%27s_Cafe_de_Wheels
>>
>> Somehow, I have never been drunk at night in the middle of Newcastle,
>> but if I had been I would certainly have looked for munchies at Harry's
>> tram.
>>
>>> This claims it's based on two Yorkshire traditions, pea & pie supper &
>>> dumplings in soup, but I think that attribution might be stretching
>>> it:
>>>
>>> <https://living.cityofadelaide.com.au/the-pie-floater-adelaides-most-famous-culinary-contribution/>
>>
>> There might perhaps be a connection, but I couldn't possibly comment.

--
I went to a restaurant that serves “breakfast at any time”.
So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

lar3ryca

Sep 2, 2022, 4:53:55 PM9/2/22
I've known that for many years, probably because of US television. I
knew it well before I knew there was a Haarlem in Holland.

Paul Wolff

Sep 2, 2022, 6:32:05 PM9/2/22
On Fri, 2 Sep 2022, at 09:58:28, Bertel Lund Hansen posted:
I thought it was Spanish.
--
Paul

Ken Blake

Sep 2, 2022, 8:01:15 PM9/2/22
On Fri, 02 Sep 2022 08:10:26 -0700, Mack A. Damia
<drstee...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 09:58:28 +0200, Bertel Lund Hansen
><gade...@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

>>> Yes, I know.
>>
>>Doesn't everybody? I have known it for donkey's years.
>
>You might be surprised at the number of people who don't know that
>Harlem is a neighborhood in Manhattan.

Perhaps. I don't remember anyone who didn't, but that doesn't mean
you're wrong.

>Methinks it is not widely known unless you come from that general
>area.

Again, perhaps.

Ken Blake

Sep 2, 2022, 8:08:38 PM9/2/22
I was going to make much the same comment.

Mack A. Damia

Sep 2, 2022, 10:50:19 PM9/2/22
On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 14:53:52 -0600, lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:

>On 2022-09-02 09:10, Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 09:58:28 +0200, Bertel Lund Hansen
>> <gade...@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

>>> Doesn't everybody? I have known it for donkey's years.
>>
>> You might be surprised at the number of people who don't know that
>> Harlem is a neighborhood in Manhattan.
>>
>> Methinks it is not widely known unless you come from that general
>> area.
>
>I've known that for many years, probably because of US television. I
>knew it well before I knew there was a Haarlem in Holland.

Maybe it has become more widely known in recent years, but I have run
into a few in newsgroups who did not know. I have a faint audio tape
running through my mind of somebody arguing with me about it.

Mack A. Damia

Sep 2, 2022, 10:54:29 PM9/2/22
'Spanish Harlem" is a song (as well as a section of Harlem).

"There is a rose in Spanish Harlem....."
(Ben E. King)

Mack A. Damia

Sep 2, 2022, 10:59:05 PM9/2/22
You may not know that not many people can name the five boroughs of
New York City.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 3, 2022, 2:30:24 AM9/3/22
On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 14:53:52 -0600
lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:

> On 2022-09-02 09:10, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 09:58:28 +0200, Bertel Lund Hansen
> > <gade...@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

> >> Doesn't everybody? I have known it for donkey's years.
> >
> > You might be surprised at the number of people who don't know that
> > Harlem is a neighborhood in Manhattan.
> >
> > Methinks it is not widely known unless you come from that general
> > area.
>
> I've known that for many years, probably because of US television. I
> knew it well before I knew there was a Haarlem in Holland.

from US TV shows?

Harlem, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Soho? maybe Brooklyn? Central Park
Wall St, 42nd St, Park Avenue?
Now to look at a map.

St
--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Bertel Lund Hansen

Sep 3, 2022, 4:03:35 AM9/3/22
Den 02.09.2022 kl. 22.53 skrev lar3ryca:

> I've known that for many years, probably because of US television. I
> knew it well before I knew there was a Haarlem in Holland.

Ditto to both statements. I knew about Harlem when it was considered a
very dangerous area, and much later I saw a tv broadcast where it was
described as safe (as American areas go). Was is a Kamau Bell episode?

--
Bertel

Bertel Lund Hansen

Sep 3, 2022, 4:05:54 AM9/3/22
Den 03.09.2022 kl. 04.59 skrev Mack A. Damia:

> You may not know that not many people can name the five boroughs of
> New York City.

Offhand I know Harlem, Queens and Bronx. Queens was made famous by Eddie
Murphy.

--
Bertel

Bertel Lund Hansen

Sep 3, 2022, 4:13:25 AM9/3/22
Den 02.09.2022 kl. 17.01 skrev Tony Cooper:

> Unfortunately, the term "floater" in the US is used to describe a
> solid object remaining in the toilet after it has been flushed.

Yes, we learned that in Denmark as well. There was a hype about a
management theory. Floaters were succesful, and sinkers were flops.

The terms described both the residue and the people who experienced it.

--
Bertel

Peter Moylan

Sep 3, 2022, 7:29:44 AM9/3/22
There's also a saying that a large organisation is like a septic tank.
The biggest lumps rise to the top.

Ken Blake

Sep 3, 2022, 10:29:17 AM9/3/22
On Fri, 02 Sep 2022 19:59:02 -0700, Mack A. Damia
I never thought about it before, but now that you mention it, it
doesn't surprise me.

Each of those boroughs is a county. There are probably even fewer
people who can name those five counties. Even though I'm an ex-New
Yorker, I couldn't until I just looked it up. Can you?

Ken Blake

Sep 3, 2022, 10:32:15 AM9/3/22
On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 10:05:53 +0200, Bertel Lund Hansen
<gade...@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

>Den 03.09.2022 kl. 04.59 skrev Mack A. Damia:
>
>> You may not know that not many people can name the five boroughs of
>> New York City.
>
>Offhand I know Harlem,

A neighborhood, not a borough.

> Queens and Bronx.

Yes, both boroughs, with one slight correction: it's "The Bronx," not
"Bronx."

Tony Cooper

Sep 3, 2022, 10:34:55 AM9/3/22
<gade...@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

>Den 01.09.2022 kl. 23.22 skrev Ken Blake:
>
>>> Harlem is a neighboorhood in upper Manhattan.
>
>> Yes, I know.
>
>Doesn't everybody? I have known it for donkey's years.

Some people who know of Harlem came to that knowledge because Harlem
is the location of the Apollo Theater. An appearance at the Apollo
was akin to an appearance at Carnegie Hall for many black musicians
and comedians. Ella Fitzgerald's career started when she competed in
Amateur Night in Harlem at the Apollo. The Apollo is where people saw
performers like Duke Ellington, Dizzie Gillespie, and Count Basie.
Comedy stars like Moms Mabley and Redd Foxx appeared at the Appolo.

Mack A. Damia

Sep 3, 2022, 11:01:49 AM9/3/22
On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 07:29:14 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
I knew three of them. New York, Richmond and Kings are the hard ones;
otherwise, same as the boroughs.

Ruud Harmsen

Sep 3, 2022, 11:18:35 AM9/3/22
Fri, 2 Sep 2022 14:53:52 -0600: lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> scribeva:

>On 2022-09-02 09:10, Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 09:58:28 +0200, Bertel Lund Hansen
>> <gade...@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

>>> Doesn't everybody? I have known it for donkey's years.
>>
>> You might be surprised at the number of people who don't know that
>> Harlem is a neighborhood in Manhattan.
>>
>> Methinks it is not widely known unless you come from that general
>> area.
>
>I've known that for many years, probably because of US television. I
>knew it well before I knew there was a Haarlem in Holland.

Google Maps knows about both, so there's no excuse now.
--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

Mack A. Damia

Sep 3, 2022, 11:34:43 AM9/3/22
Never had a problem when I taught there in the 1980s, and that was a
bad time. The Harlem neighborhood protected teachers. I did have
problems (theft, vandalism) when I taught in Brownsville, East New
York, Brooklyn.

Ken Blake

Sep 3, 2022, 12:45:39 PM9/3/22
On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 08:01:43 -0700, Mack A. Damia
Almost the same. "The Bronx" is the borough, but "Bronx," without the
"the" is the county.

Tony Cooper

Sep 3, 2022, 12:50:31 PM9/3/22
On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 09:45:35 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
Who do they think they are? The largest university in Ohio?

Mack A. Damia

Sep 3, 2022, 1:06:34 PM9/3/22
On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 09:45:35 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
Who would say, "The Bronx County"? Or any "The" (county)

I taught in Kings County, too (Brooklyn). We had a branch of the
business school on Kings Highway, one of the oldest highways in the
U.S.

Mack A. Damia

Sep 3, 2022, 1:09:01 PM9/3/22
On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 10:06:29 -0700, Mack A. Damia
If you send a letter to somebody in the Bronx, you would address it
"Bronx, NY". Not "The Bronx, NY."

Ken Blake

Sep 3, 2022, 2:21:06 PM9/3/22
On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 10:08:57 -0700, Mack A. Damia
Yes, probably, but if you lived there and someone asked you where you
lived, you would reply "the Bronx," not "Bronx."

I used to live in the Bronx, not Bronx.

Addresses on letters elsewhere usually say the name of the city, not
some part of the city, so technically the letter should probably be
addressed "New York, NY," and the zip code would clarify that it was
the Bronx. But in practice most letters to someplace in the Bronx are
addressed to "Bronx, NY," as you say.

Mack A. Damia

Sep 3, 2022, 3:32:47 PM9/3/22
On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 11:21:04 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
My address was:

106 Beverly Road
Brooklyn, NY 11218

Never knew any other address.

Anders D. Nygaard

Sep 3, 2022, 7:24:47 PM9/3/22
Den 02-09-2022 kl. 22:53 skrev lar3ryca:
> On 2022-09-02 09:10, Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 09:58:28 +0200, Bertel Lund Hansen
>> <gade...@lundhansen.dk> wrote:

>>> Doesn't everybody? I have known it for donkey's years.
>>
>> You might be surprised at the number of people who don't know that
>> Harlem is a neighborhood in Manhattan.
>>
>> Methinks it is not widely known unless you come from that general
>> area.
>
> I've known that for many years, probably because of US television. I
> knew it well before I knew there was a Haarlem in Holland.

Ditto, except in my case the reason was probably "Live and let Die".

/Anders, Denmark

lar3ryca

Sep 4, 2022, 1:05:53 AM9/4/22
On 2022-09-03 00:30, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 14:53:52 -0600
> lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-09-02 09:10, Mack A. Damia wrote:

>>> You might be surprised at the number of people who don't know that
>>> Harlem is a neighborhood in Manhattan.
>>>
>>> Methinks it is not widely known unless you come from that general
>>> area.
>>
>> I've known that for many years, probably because of US television. I
>> knew it well before I knew there was a Haarlem in Holland.
>>
> from US TV shows?

Yes. Cop shows, I think.

--
“Rice is great if you’re really hungry and want to eat two thousand of
some­thing.”

Anders D. Nygaard

Sep 4, 2022, 4:53:02 AM9/4/22
Den 02-09-2022 kl. 13:26 skrev Peter Moylan:

> If you want truly horrifying Australian street food, I can suggest the
> "floater", an Adelaide specialty. It's a meat pie floating in a bowl of
> soup. I have seen one, but didn't dare taste it.
>
> P.S. The Thunderbird spelling checker doesn't like "specialty". Google
> says that specialty and speciality have the same meaning. I perceive a
> subtle difference, but I can't explain it.

I have a feeling that "specialty" is usually used attributively?
But that does not justify your choice; in fact, rather the opposite.

/Anders, Denmark

Paul Wolff

Sep 4, 2022, 5:29:42 AM9/4/22
On Sun, 4 Sep 2022, at 10:52:58, Anders D. Nygaard posted:
Memory tells me that in the steel industry, Americans spoke of specialty
steels while the British spoke of special steels. The specialness of
these steels lay in their specific alloys, and sometimes in their heat
treatments too.
--
Paul

John Dallman

Sep 7, 2022, 6:35:05 PM9/7/22
In article <7jh2hh150cukni224...@4ax.com>,
K...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake) wrote:

Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2022 21:30:29 +0000, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:
> >Ken Blake:
> >> I've never had such a sausage sandwich between two slices of
> >> bread, but if I were making one, I'd cut the sausages
> >> lengthwise into several slices and arrange them side by side.
> >I had one of those in England once. I thought it was a fine idea.
> So I've been pre-invented?

Afraid so. My mother was making them over fifty years ago.

John

Snidely

Sep 8, 2022, 10:22:27 PM9/8/22
After serious thinking Adam Funk wrote :
> <https://www.insidehook.com/article/food-and-drink/is-a-hot-dog-a-sandwich-debate>
>
> Controversial claim:
>
> “In the 1880s and 1890s and 1990s, the names ‘sausage sandwich’ and
> ‘hot dog sandwich’ were common. ‘Sandwich’ got dropped, but it’s
> still a sandwich — the same as it always has been.”
>
> As you were, comrades.

I have not read very much of this thread yet ... I have a touch of
suspicion about fast-moving threads ... but already I can predict that
the 20 experts will belong to either the group that agrees with the
poster [for each contributor to the thread] or to the group that is
wrong.

/dps

--
Trust, but verify.