7.1

b r e t t

Oct 31, 2001, 11:03:24 AM10/31/01
WARNING: DREAM CONTENT AHEAD

A small group of people I couldn't identify were trying to install
Mac OS 7.1 on my brain. They promised it would only be running on
my brain "for a few hours, just to see if it works." The really
nightmarish part is that they were doing the install from the
original floppies that came with my IIsi in 1993.

OKAY, IT'S SAFE TO CONTINUE READING NOW

Jacob W. Haller

Oct 31, 2001, 11:24:36 AM10/31/01
b r e t t <b...@chiba.3jane.net> wrote:

> A small group of people I couldn't identify were trying to install
> Mac OS 7.1 on my brain. They promised it would only be running on
> my brain "for a few hours, just to see if it works." The really
> nightmarish part is that they were doing the install from the
> original floppies that came with my IIsi in 1993.

Was this an upgrade or downgrade? I'm just curious if your brain has
multifinder or not.

At one point in college I had three jobs. I was a teaching assistant
for a calculus course, I worked in a vegetarian snack bar, and I worked
for the student-staffed help desk. The week before I quit my snack bar
job I had a dream where someone wanted me to help them put a piece of
pita bread in a floppy drive.

You tell this to the kids these days, they ask, "What's a floppy drive?"

-jwgh

--
"But the fact is, I find the level of escapism in comic books unhealthy.
Sure, I've been known to hole up in the basement for days playing /Doom/

b r e t t

Oct 31, 2001, 12:20:28 PM10/31/01
In article <1f253je.bqcmy91dkiadvN%jw...@earthlink.net>,

Jacob W. Haller <jw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Was this an upgrade or downgrade? I'm just curious if your brain has
>multifinder or not.

I don't think so. I have to stop breathing to post to a.r.k,
for instance. Which is why my posts tend to be so short.

>You tell this to the kids these days, they ask, "What's a floppy drive?"

I console myself with the thought that when I'm 70, no young
people will be able to catch balls or ride bicycles. Then we
can be in the CIRCUS!

Luke Breinig

Oct 31, 2001, 3:10:34 PM10/31/01
In article <ghVD7.2366$Oh1.25680@insync>, b...@chiba.3jane.net says...

> WARNING: DREAM CONTENT AHEAD
>
> A small group of people I couldn't identify were trying to install
> Mac OS 7.1 on my brain. They promised it would only be running on
> my brain "for a few hours, just to see if it works." The really
> nightmarish part is that they were doing the install from the
> original floppies that came with my IIsi in 1993.

Okay, that is SOOO hivemind-weird, cause I had a dream last night about
installing Mac software as well, however, I was not installing it on my
brane. Rather, I was trying to integrate a Power Mac that someone gave
me into my home LAN, but it kept having weird intermittent hardware
problems.

--
Luke Breinig - www.lukebreinig.com - Not Bitter
Amiga 500/1000/3000 - K6-2/450 - PII/300 - Mac IIsi - Apple IIgs - C=64

Talos

Oct 31, 2001, 10:39:32 PM10/31/01
"Jacob W. Haller" wrote:

> Was this an upgrade or downgrade? I'm just curious if your brain has
> multifinder or not.

Is a move from System 6 to 7 and upgrade or downgrade?

http://www.euronet.nl/users/mvdk/system_6_heaven.html

--
/==========================================\
| George v2.0 | mailto:Tal...@erols.com |

- Winston Churchill (Speech made to a Joint Session of the American Congress)

Jacob W. Haller

Nov 1, 2001, 12:36:09 AM11/1/01
Talos <tal...@home.com> wrote:

> "Jacob W. Haller" wrote:
> >
> > Was this an upgrade or downgrade? I'm just curious if your brain has
> > multifinder or not.
>

> Is a move from System 6 to 7 and upgrade or downgrade?
>
> http://www.euronet.nl/users/mvdk/system_6_heaven.html

Maaaaaan, the guy doesn't even TALK about multifinder or asynchronous
sound or how much MacTCP sucked or...

Also, I think The Sims won't run under Mac OS 6. Though SkyShadow and
Scruffy would, so maybe that's a tie.

On the other hand, I think Mac OS 7.1 was the first Mac operating system
version that Apple actually charged money for.

-jwgh

--
"We must find this group of mouth-breathing, gap-toothed,
overall-wearing, addle-pated idiots and tell them to stop stereotyping

Shiro Akaishi

Nov 1, 2001, 3:20:22 AM11/1/01
on 01 Nov 2001, Jacob W. Haller did this!

>Talos <tal...@home.com> wrote:
>
>> "Jacob W. Haller" wrote:
>> >
>> > Was this an upgrade or downgrade? I'm just curious if your brain has
>> > multifinder or not.
>>

>> Is a move from System 6 to 7 and upgrade or downgrade?
>>
>> http://www.euronet.nl/users/mvdk/system_6_heaven.html
>
>Maaaaaan, the guy doesn't even TALK about multifinder or asynchronous
>sound or how much MacTCP sucked or...
>
>Also, I think The Sims won't run under Mac OS 6. Though SkyShadow and
>Scruffy would, so maybe that's a tie.
>
>On the other hand, I think Mac OS 7.1 was the first Mac operating system
>version that Apple actually charged money for.

.. and then later gave away as a free download.

--
/\ _____________ \ _()< -Quack! I
(__\ |Shiro Akaishi| \_/ am Png, the

Jacob W. Haller

Nov 1, 2001, 9:10:11 AM11/1/01
Shiro Akaishi <aka...@skizzzzers.org> wrote:

[. . .]

> >On the other hand, I think Mac OS 7.1 was the first Mac operating system
> >version that Apple actually charged money for.
>
> .. and then later gave away as a free download.

This wasn't true the last time I checked (which was admittedly probably
five years ago). Hmmm...No, the latest version of Mac OS I see
available for free download is 7.0.1. HIBT?

-jwgh

--
"Many people in Manhattan believe that if they travel outside of
Manhattan proper the world is flat and they may very well fall off the

Fantod

Nov 1, 2001, 11:01:30 AM11/1/01
[Jacob W. Haller]:

>Shiro Akaishi <aka...@skizzzzers.org> wrote:
>
>[. . .]
>> >On the other hand, I think Mac OS 7.1 was the first Mac operating system
>> >version that Apple actually charged money for.
>>
>> .. and then later gave away as a free download.
>
>This wasn't true the last time I checked (which was admittedly probably
>five years ago). Hmmm...No, the latest version of Mac OS I see
>available for free download is 7.0.1. HIBT?

The reverse seems to be true. They used to be available, but now Apple seems
to frown on it. Some people do it anyway. Including Apple:
ftp://ftphqx.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English
-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/

I downloaded 7.5.3 from Apple ages ago, because it was the last version I
could cram into my IIci.

I think it is a shame. If someone could afford to pay for an ancient
operating system, wouldn't they beable to afford a more modern computer? It
is not like it cost Apple anything for these people
<http://www.mac512.com/ssdl.htm> to distribute the older Systems. According
to them, it would cost $99 to get 7.6.1, which is about 4 times what my
computer is worth.

--
Patrick Phelan
w____\\W//___w Te Hupenui

James Kibo Parry

Nov 1, 2001, 4:54:02 PM11/1/01
"b r e t t" (b...@chiba.3jane.net) wrote:

> WARNING: DREAM CONTENT AHEAD
>
> A small group of people I couldn't identify were trying to install
> Mac OS 7.1 on my brain. They promised it would only be running on
> my brain "for a few hours, just to see if it works." The really
> nightmarish part is that they were doing the install from the
> original floppies that came with my IIsi in 1993.

...and then you woke up with a floppy disk in your mouth, except "disk"
wasn't spelled with an "s". EWWWW!

-- K.

Then some eunuchs came over
and made you wear a red hat