soda roundup: round 1

Jacob W. Haller

Oct 24, 2002, 11:24:46 PM10/24/02
I bought a bunch of bottles of soda today and will be sampling them over
the next few days. Today's selections:

* Bubble Up

The motto on the bottle is 'kiss of lemon - kiss of lime'. However the
bottle also says 'Contains no juice'. I'm not using artificial
flavoring, I'm just KISSING YOU with my LEMON! Anyway, I thought both
the name and the motto were vaguely disturbing, but for different
reasons.

As any fool could have told you it would be, this is basically 7Up. I
therefore have no explanation as to why this didn't occur to me until I
popped the cap and took a whiff. In the event, I'm not sure I could
tell the difference between 7Up and Bubble Up in a blind taste test --
Bubble Up may be a little closer to the Sprite end of the spectrum. (Is
there actually a spectrum between 7Up and Sprite?)

* Genuine Faygo Delicious Rock & Rye! Artificially Flavored Creme-Cola

Or so it says on the bottle, which has a bright orange label. The soda
is a very dark red. It has an overpoweringly strong vanilla odor, but
it tastes like cotton candy smells. As such I cannot really recommend
this product.

-jwgh

--
"PS. Please take note of the fact that, in conformity with the
regulations of this office, all information contained in the above

Glenn Knickerbocker

Oct 25, 2002, 12:14:59 PM10/25/02
"Jacob W. Haller" wrote:
> * Genuine Faygo Delicious Rock & Rye! Artificially Flavored Creme-Cola

Somehow I never got around to trying Laghidze's "kakhuri" cream soda,
but my imagination suggests that the two might taste rather similar if
the "rock" and "rye" in the name of this soda actually meant anything.
Judging from your report, I'll have to content myself with trying to
produce tarragon extract with which to taint ordinary vanilla sodas.

ŹR

Jacob W. Haller

Oct 25, 2002, 5:10:04 PM10/25/02
Kickapoo Joy Juice: The Original Dogpatch Recipe

It's a Li'l Abner spinoff -- how topical! The label claims that this is
"The Original Dogpatch Recipe". This is basically Mountain Dew, the
other soft drink named after moonshine. It's reasonably smooth; there's
a touch of grapefruit but it doesn't bowl you over.

Moxie Cherry Cola

This has a nice picture of a pharmacist pointing straight at you on the
label, like if Uncle Sam wore a white smock instead of a hat and wanted
you to drink soda instead of enlist. (Also, from the guy's expression I
think he's trying to hypnotize you.) I'm not aware of another soda
currently on the market that makes its roots as a patent medicine quite
so obvious (leaving aside Dr. Pepper's name).

This has a pretty nice artificial cherry flavor, one which lingers in
the mouth after drinking. I had wondered if it was possible to harness
(non-cherry) Moxie's amazing aftertaste longevity for non-evil purposes,
and now I know! Sipping the soda is nice, but chugging it really
overloads the old taste receptors. In a good way!

For the soda snobs out there, this soda uses cane sugar (not corn
syrup). Caffeine is also listed as an ingredient, because uncaffeinated
soda is for wimps!

Now if you'll excuse me, I feel a strange compulsion to bark like a dog
and go out and buy fifty more cases of Moxie Cherry Cola.

-jwgh

Kevin S. Wilson

Oct 25, 2002, 5:35:39 PM10/25/02
On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:10:04 -0400, sp...@jwgh.org (Jacob W. Haller)
wrote:

>Now if you'll excuse me, I feel a strange compulsion to bark like a dog
>and go out and buy fifty more cases of Moxie Cherry Cola.

I would think you'd feel more like pissing like a race horse. How many
damn sodas you gonna drink today?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

Lee Merkel

Oct 25, 2002, 9:04:09 PM10/25/02
Jacob W. Haller wrote:
> Kickapoo Joy Juice: The Original Dogpatch Recipe
>
> It's a Li'l Abner spinoff -- how topical!

I sure miss those guys.
"Friday the 13th came on a Non-Friday this month!"
"We have met the enemy, and it is the U.S.!"
and of course "walla walla wash & Kalamazoo..."

> Moxie Cherry Cola

> I'm not aware of another soda currently on the market
> that makes its roots as a patent medicine quite
> so obvious (leaving aside Dr. Pepper's name).

Remember that Dr Pepper's a GUY, so he HAS NO PERIOD.

Here are some benefits of joining the dr pepper museum,
based of course in WACO, texas:

http://www.drpeppermuseum.com/be-a-pepper.html

> Benefits:
>
>A - Bottlecaps Newsletter.
>B - 10% discount on all merchandise and fountain items and gift
>catalog.
>C - Use of facility at special rates (after regular hours)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(discounts available for Fr Pepper
and his Young Pepperonis, IYKWIM)

--
Lee Merkel
~~ A thing of duty is a job forever ~~

Jacob W. Haller

Oct 25, 2002, 6:16:48 PM10/25/02
Kevin S. Wilson <res...@spro.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:10:04 -0400, sp...@jwgh.org (Jacob W. Haller)
> wrote:
>
> >Now if you'll excuse me, I feel a strange compulsion to bark like a dog
> >and go out and buy fifty more cases of Moxie Cherry Cola.
>
> I would think you'd feel more like pissing like a race horse. How many
> damn sodas you gonna drink today?

NOT LOOKING AT "DATE:" HEADERS! PLONK!

Conmidhe

Oct 26, 2002, 2:54:19 AM10/26/02
wrote:

>Kickapoo Joy Juice: The Original Dogpatch Recipe

This is good stuff ! Havent seen it around here lately, but I used to
find it alll the time as a kid. I always liked it, never liked
Mountain Dew though, so go figure. Maybe its just cool cause its got
an Indian name on it. I'll buy anything with Indians or Pirates on it.

-Con

David DeLaney

Oct 26, 2002, 11:44:13 AM10/26/02
Jacob W. Haller <sp...@jwgh.org> wrote:
>Kickapoo Joy Juice: The Original Dogpatch Recipe
>
>It's a Li'l Abner spinoff -- how topical! The label claims that this is
>"The Original Dogpatch Recipe". This is basically Mountain Dew, the
>other soft drink named after moonshine.

(From that stonghold of hillbillyness, all together now, Knoxville TN...)

> It's reasonably smooth; there's
>a touch of grapefruit but it doesn't bowl you over.

Eh, maybe you're not doing it right then.

>Moxie Cherry Cola

Why do they not make _CHOCOLATE_ Cherry Cola? Huh huh? Whyyyy?

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower