I Am Going To Yurp.

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Darla Vladschyk

unread,
Jan 20, 2005, 10:55:15 AM1/20/05
to

I have never been to Yurp, despite my advanced age. In August, Vlad
and I are flying to London and boarding a ship ("Arrrr!") on which we
will cruise around like the wanna-be swells we are. Engerland,
Portugal, Spain, Italy, Corsica, France--- 2 weeks of swanning around
being waited on during the day and then dancing in the Whoop-Dee-Doo
Lounge (or whatever) in the evening. Moonlight strolls on the deck.
Music and champagne. I am transported with delight. Who wants a
postcard, eh?

-=D=-

plorkwort

unread,
Jan 20, 2005, 11:21:17 AM1/20/05
to
In article <6pkvu05soks2qdkei...@4ax.com>,

Darla Vladschyk <Darl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Music and champagne. I am transported with delight. Who wants a
>postcard, eh?

memememe!
have a wonderful time!

plorkwort.

--
A girl and a boy bump into each other -- surely an accident.
A girl and a boy bump and her handkerchief drops -- surely another accident.
But when a girl gives a boy a dead squid -- *that had to mean something*.
-- S. Morganstern, "The Silent Gondoliers"

Matthew L. Martin

unread,
Jan 20, 2005, 11:29:06 AM1/20/05
to
Darla Vladschyk wrote:

And here I was thinking I was going to learn a new verb.

Matthew (somewhat disappointed, but have fun anyway)

Kevin S. Wilson

unread,
Jan 20, 2005, 11:45:09 AM1/20/05
to
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:29:06 -0500, "Matthew L. Martin"
<not...@notnow.never> wrote:

>Darla Vladschyk wrote:
>
>And here I was thinking I was going to learn a new verb.
>

Yeah, I thought the gal was going to hurl, too.

Chris McGonnell

unread,
Jan 20, 2005, 1:31:28 PM1/20/05
to

Arrr! What's the name o' yer cruiser? Me 'n' the scurvy dogs in the
good ship "Yellowbeard" will gi' ye a warrrm welcome when ye hove to
in Corsica! Bring all yer valuables!

Roberts

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.
"Hmmm... my let hand is SWILSON!" -- oTTo

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Jeremy D. Impson

unread,
Jan 20, 2005, 4:39:53 PM1/20/05
to
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Chris McGonnell wrote:

> Arrr! What's the name o' yer cruiser? Me 'n' the scurvy dogs in the good
> ship "Yellowbeard" will gi' ye a warrrm welcome when ye hove to in
> Corsica! Bring all yer valuables!

The mental image, perhaps framed as a tourism advertisement, of a pirate
beseaching prospective ocean-goers to bring all their valuables is very
amusing to me.

--Jeremy

--

Jeremy Impson
jdimpson can be contacted at acm dot org
http://impson.tzo.com/~jdimpson

Jack Curry

unread,
Jan 20, 2005, 6:28:39 PM1/20/05
to

"Jeremy D. Impson" <jdim...@acm.spam.org> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.61.05...@monster.apt.net...

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Chris McGonnell wrote:
>
> > Arrr! What's the name o' yer cruiser? Me 'n' the scurvy dogs in the good
> > ship "Yellowbeard" will gi' ye a warrrm welcome when ye hove to in
> > Corsica! Bring all yer valuables!
>
> The mental image, perhaps framed as a tourism advertisement, of a pirate
> beseaching prospective ocean-goers to bring all their valuables is very
> amusing to me.
>
> --Jeremy
>
Sounds like Florida's next tourism campaign. "Come to Florida and remember
to bring all your money!" Goes along with "The Rules are different here"
(Yes, that really was a Florida tourism slogan for awhile) which always made
me think, "Fuck! What if I do some shit that's legal at home but it isn't
here and I didn't know?" Too bad Twinkie, we gonna Tase you anyhow.

Jack Curry
-Come to Florida, bring lawyers, guns and money-

Darla Vladschyk

unread,
Jan 20, 2005, 9:11:56 PM1/20/05
to
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:31:28 -0500, Chris McGonnell
<sme...@NOkey-net.net> wrote:


>Arrr! What's the name o' yer cruiser? Me 'n' the scurvy dogs in the
>good ship "Yellowbeard" will gi' ye a warrrm welcome when ye hove to
>in Corsica! Bring all yer valuables!
>
>Roberts

Oh no! Dread Pirate Roberts! <swoon> Whatever will become of me?!

Heh!

-=D=-

Nick Bensema

unread,
Jan 20, 2005, 9:47:43 PM1/20/05
to
Yurp is awesome.

Walking tours in London are worth every pence.

--
Nick Bensema <ni...@io.com> AIM: NBensema
==== ======= ============== http://www.io.com/~nickb/

Phil Carmody

unread,
Jan 21, 2005, 5:04:41 AM1/21/05
to
ni...@eris.io.com (Nick Bensema) writes:

> Yurp is awesome.
>
> Walking tours in London are worth every pence.

Pence is the plural. Pen is the singular.

Phil
--
The answer to life's mystery is simple and direct:
Sex and death. -- Ian 'Lemmy' Kilminster.

Mark South

unread,
Jan 21, 2005, 5:22:15 AM1/21/05
to

Dramamine. Lots of Dramamine.

Oh, you forgot to mention whether your cruise goes up the Rhône to Lac
Leman. 'Cos if it does I'll be hiding in the Alps.

PS Corsica IS France, just don't mention this to the Corsicans.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

Darla Vladschyk

unread,
Jan 21, 2005, 9:07:22 AM1/21/05
to
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:47:43 -0600, ni...@eris.io.com (Nick Bensema)
wrote:

>Yurp is awesome.
>
>Walking tours in London are worth every pence.


Thanks, Nick!

-=D=-

Darla Vladschyk

unread,
Jan 21, 2005, 9:08:17 AM1/21/05
to
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:22:15 +0100, Mark South
<mark...@null.invalid> wrote:

>Oh, you forgot to mention whether your cruise goes up the Rhône to Lac
>Leman. 'Cos if it does I'll be hiding in the Alps.

Donut worry, you are safe.

-=D=-

Mark South

unread,
Jan 21, 2005, 9:22:51 AM1/21/05
to

I wuz joking, 'cos the low bridges would have sunk your ship long before
you made it this far up Le Rhône.

In re Nick's suggestion, there is an excellellellenenenent London walking
tour following the path of the old city walls. It's a couple of miles, at
a slow pace, manageable^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hsurvivable even for our North
American cousins.

Chris McGonnell

unread,
Jan 21, 2005, 2:22:19 PM1/21/05
to

At your age, maybe Miracle Max will think of something, involving
chocolate, of course.

Chris McGonnell

unread,
Jan 21, 2005, 2:26:02 PM1/21/05
to

Safe? In the Alps? AVALAAANCHE!!!!!! Not to mention the feral
elephants, descendents of Hannibal's runaways!

Mark South

unread,
Jan 21, 2005, 2:35:41 PM1/21/05
to
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:26:02 -0500, Chris McGonnell wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:08:17 GMT, Darla Vladschyk wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:22:15 +0100, Mark South
>><mark...@null.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>Oh, you forgot to mention whether your cruise goes up the Rhône to Lac
>>>Leman. 'Cos if it does I'll be hiding in the Alps.
>>
>>Donut worry, you are safe.
>
> Safe? In the Alps? AVALAAANCHE!!!!!! Not to mention the feral
> elephants, descendents of Hannibal's runaways!

On the one hand, avalanches of feral elephants.

On the other, Darlaaaaaa!!!

Seems to be what you people so quaintly call a damn-skunk, or something.

Glenn Knickerbocker

unread,
Jan 21, 2005, 4:18:45 PM1/21/05
to
Phil Carmody wrote:

> ni...@eris.io.com (Nick Bensema) writes:
> > Walking tours in London are worth every pence.
> Pence is the plural. Pen is the singular.

As in: London is built in hundreds of little circles, wrapped up in
progressively bigger circles. Each one is a pen that you'll take hours
to find your way out of.

ŹR

Darla Vladschyk

unread,
Jan 21, 2005, 10:10:07 PM1/21/05
to
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:22:19 -0500, Chris McGonnell
<sme...@NOkey-net.net> wrote:

>>Oh no! Dread Pirate Roberts! <swoon> Whatever will become of me?!
>
>At your age, maybe Miracle Max will think of something, involving
>chocolate, of course.

Shut UP you bitch.

-=D=-

Zixia

unread,
Jan 22, 2005, 3:54:31 AM1/22/05
to
Quoth the Darla Vladschyk:

> I have never been to Yurp, despite my advanced age. In August, Vlad
> and I are flying to London and boarding a ship ("Arrrr!") on which we
> will cruise around like the wanna-be swells we are.

Sweet!

I'd promise to take you on a tour of London and introduce you to the
Queen, but I appear to have a slightly broken back right now, thanks
to a stupid woman driver. It had better heal by the time you're due
here, or I'll be cross.

--
(2.12) The Master said: 'A gentleman does not behave as a tool.'
(o_ (o_ (o_ (o_ (o_ (-_ (o_ (o_ (o_ (o_ (o_ (o~ (o_ (o_
//\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\
V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_

Dean Lenort

unread,
Jan 22, 2005, 10:21:35 AM1/22/05
to

ITYM "witch".

Which witch is which is of course left as an exercise for the reader.

--
Dean Lenort | ARK IS FOR WHACKY BOZOS WHO KNOW IT! NANAB
dean....@att.net | IS FOR WHACKY BOZOS WHO DON'T! - E. Holmes

Paula

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 1:34:23 AM1/23/05
to
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:55:15 GMT, Darla Vladschyk
<Darl...@Gmail.com> wrote:

So now I am going to have to hate you as well as Terri and her
horsies? Do you people have any idea how much time and energy it
takes to maintain such levels of hate and how little time and energy I
have? Dammit! Now I hate you even more. I hate when that happens.

--
Paula
"You are so wrong you'll likely never be right at any point in the future." Steve Christensen

Theresa Willis

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 1:40:28 AM1/23/05
to
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:34:23 GMT, Paula <mmmtob...@earthlink.ent>
wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:55:15 GMT, Darla Vladschyk
><Darl...@Gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have never been to Yurp, despite my advanced age. In August, Vlad
>>and I are flying to London and boarding a ship ("Arrrr!") on which we
>>will cruise around like the wanna-be swells we are. Engerland,
>>Portugal, Spain, Italy, Corsica, France--- 2 weeks of swanning around
>>being waited on during the day and then dancing in the Whoop-Dee-Doo
>>Lounge (or whatever) in the evening. Moonlight strolls on the deck.
>>Music and champagne. I am transported with delight. Who wants a
>>postcard, eh?
>
>So now I am going to have to hate you as well as Terri and her
>horsies? Do you people have any idea how much time and energy it
>takes to maintain such levels of hate and how little time and energy I
>have? Dammit! Now I hate you even more. I hate when that happens.


Dear Paula:

I have been to Europe. Twice.

Message has been deleted

Mark Edwards

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 1:52:04 AM1/23/05
to
[Darla's Yurpian vacation]

No cluons were harmed when Paula ! wrote:

> So now I am going to have to hate you as well as Terri and her
> horsies? Do you people have any idea how much time and energy it
> takes to maintain such levels of hate and how little time and energy
I
> have? Dammit! Now I hate you even more. I hate when that happens.

Just do what Louie does - bare your teeth, growl, and hate her with
the heat of a thousand suns.

Note: also works with Middle School students.


Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Mark Edwards

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 1:54:56 AM1/23/05
to
[Yurp and covetreousnetic hatred]

No cluons were harmed when Theresa Willis ! wrote:

> Dear Paula:
>
> I have been to Europe. Twice.

Two thousand suns. See, it works.

Mark South

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 8:33:17 AM1/23/05
to

Dear Terri: I am IN Europe[1]. Every day.

[1] But not the EU, although I can see a piece of it over that way ------>
as I type, although I do have EU citizenship so I guess the EU is with me
wherever I am.

Jeremy D. Impson

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 11:39:04 AM1/23/05
to

Today.

Roy G. Ovrebo

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 1:27:26 PM1/23/05
to
Mark South <mark...@null.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:40:28 +0000, Theresa Willis wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:34:23 GMT, Paula <mmmtob...@earthlink.ent>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:55:15 GMT, Darla Vladschyk
>>><Darl...@Gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>I have never been to Yurp, despite my advanced age. In August, Vlad
>>>>and I are flying to London and boarding a ship ("Arrrr!") on which we
>>>>will cruise around like the wanna-be swells we are. Engerland,
>>>>Portugal, Spain, Italy, Corsica, France--- 2 weeks of swanning around
>>>>being waited on during the day and then dancing in the Whoop-Dee-Doo
>>>>Lounge (or whatever) in the evening. Moonlight strolls on the deck.
>>>>Music and champagne. I am transported with delight. Who wants a
>>>>postcard, eh?
>>>
>>>So now I am going to have to hate you as well as Terri and her
>>>horsies? Do you people have any idea how much time and energy it
>>>takes to maintain such levels of hate and how little time and energy I
>>>have? Dammit! Now I hate you even more. I hate when that happens.
>>
>> Dear Paula:
>>
>> I have been to Europe. Twice.
>
> Dear Terri: I am IN Europe[1]. Every day.

So am I.

> [1] But not the EU,

Neither am I.

> although I can see a piece of it over that way ------>
> as I type, although I do have EU citizenship so I guess the EU is with me
> wherever I am.

You can't see the EU from Iceland, nor from the Faroe Islands.
So I'll guess you have to be in Norway, Liechtenstein, Andorra, the
Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. Unless I'm forgetting some place.

--
Roy

John D Salt

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 2:12:36 PM1/23/05
to
"Roy G. Ovrebo" <bloody....@bluezone.no> wrote in
news:slrncv7r4g.5up...@sheepish.local:

[Snips]

> You can't see the EU from Iceland, nor from the Faroe
> Islands. So I'll guess you have to be in Norway,
> Liechtenstein, Andorra, the Channel Islands or the Isle of
> Man. Unless I'm forgetting some place.

San Marino?

All the best,

John.

Mark South

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 2:16:53 PM1/23/05
to
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:27:26 +0000, Roy G. Ovrebo wrote:

>>> Dear Paula:
>>>
>>> I have been to Europe. Twice.
>>
>> Dear Terri: I am IN Europe[1]. Every day.
>
> So am I.

Oh, I knew I wasn't the only one :-)

>> [1] But not the EU,
>
> Neither am I.

Going by your surname I would guess Norway, but for all my knowledge of
scandinavian names you could be from the Faroes or Iceland too.



>> although I can see a piece of it over that way ------> as I type,

OK, I confess I turned my monitor 15 degrees counterclockwise to type that.

>> although I do have EU citizenship so I guess the EU is with me wherever
>> I am.
>
> You can't see the EU from Iceland, nor from the Faroe Islands. So I'll
> guess you have to be in Norway, Liechtenstein, Andorra, the Channel
> Islands or the Isle of Man. Unless I'm forgetting some place.

You are, and glooooooge might have helped you, since I posted a BIG CLUE
in another group earlier today. But I'll be nice and tell you that I can
see a piece of France that's mentioned in a little-known book called
Frankenstein, and that we speak french here.

Roy G. Ovrebo

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 2:26:22 PM1/23/05
to
Mark South <mark...@null.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:27:26 +0000, Roy G. Ovrebo wrote:
>
>>>> Dear Paula:
>>>>
>>>> I have been to Europe. Twice.
>>>
>>> Dear Terri: I am IN Europe[1]. Every day.
>>
>> So am I.
>
> Oh, I knew I wasn't the only one :-)
>
>>> [1] But not the EU,
>>
>> Neither am I.
>
> Going by your surname I would guess Norway, but for all my knowledge of
> scandinavian names you could be from the Faroes or Iceland too.

Good guess. There's a BIG CLUE in my e-mail address.

>>> although I can see a piece of it over that way ------> as I type,
>
> OK, I confess I turned my monitor 15 degrees counterclockwise to type that.
>
>>> although I do have EU citizenship so I guess the EU is with me wherever
>>> I am.
>>
>> You can't see the EU from Iceland, nor from the Faroe Islands. So I'll
>> guess you have to be in Norway, Liechtenstein, Andorra, the Channel
>> Islands or the Isle of Man. Unless I'm forgetting some place.
>
> You are, and glooooooge might have helped you, since I posted a BIG CLUE
> in another group earlier today. But I'll be nice and tell you that I can
> see a piece of France that's mentioned in a little-known book called
> Frankenstein, and that we speak french here.

Well, duh. I found it. In my defence, though, that country might as well
be a hole in the map. It isn't a member of _anything_.

--
Roy

Paula

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 3:52:42 PM1/23/05
to
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:40:28 GMT, Theresa Willis
<tdwi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Dear Paula:
>
>I have been to Europe. Twice.

I don't care about that. I've been to Europe more often than you and
Darla combined. What pisses me off is people who are currently living
better lives than mine. So, I must hate Darla for heading off to
Europe while I am stuck here and you for your horsies and no one for
their past adventures.

Mark South

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 7:02:32 PM1/23/05
to
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:26:22 +0000, Roy G. Ovrebo wrote:

>>> You can't see the EU from Iceland, nor from the Faroe Islands. So I'll
>>> guess you have to be in Norway, Liechtenstein, Andorra, the Channel
>>> Islands or the Isle of Man. Unless I'm forgetting some place.
>>
>> You are, and glooooooge might have helped you, since I posted a BIG CLUE
>> in another group earlier today. But I'll be nice and tell you that I can
>> see a piece of France that's mentioned in a little-known book called
>> Frankenstein, and that we speak french here.
>
> Well, duh. I found it. In my defence, though, that country might as well
> be a hole in the map. It isn't a member of _anything_.

Well, we don't let anyone else join our clubs, no. That would lower the
tone, and that would never do.

Theresa Willis

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 9:10:06 PM1/23/05
to
On 23 Jan 2005 18:27:26 GMT, "Roy G. Ovrebo"
<bloody....@bluezone.no> wrote:

>Mark South <mark...@null.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:40:28 +0000, Theresa Willis wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:34:23 GMT, Paula <mmmtob...@earthlink.ent>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>>So now I am going to have to hate you as well as Terri and her
>>>>horsies? Do you people have any idea how much time and energy it
>>>>takes to maintain such levels of hate and how little time and energy I
>>>>have? Dammit! Now I hate you even more. I hate when that happens.
>>>
>>> Dear Paula:
>>>
>>> I have been to Europe. Twice.
>>
>> Dear Terri: I am IN Europe[1]. Every day.
>
>So am I.
>

Yeah, but as non-Americans, you are just part of the scenery, so, you
know, BIG DEAL.

Tom Kraemer

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 9:19:25 PM1/23/05
to
Roy G. Ovrebo <bloody....@bluezone.no> wrote:

> Well, duh. I found it. In my defence, though, that country might as well
> be a hole in the map. It isn't a member of _anything_.

I told you it was Grand Fenwick!! Why don't people LISTEN?!?!

--
One Apple every eight hours keeps three Doctors away.

-B. Kliban

Darla Vladschyk

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 10:02:11 PM1/23/05
to
On 22 Jan 2005 08:54:31 GMT, Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:

>I'd promise to take you on a tour of London and introduce you to the
>Queen, but I appear to have a slightly broken back right now, thanks
>to a stupid woman driver. It had better heal by the time you're due
>here, or I'll be cross.

Yes you'd bettah, because we are taking an extry weekend in Englandia
when the cruise is over just so's to meet up with you and John Salt,
if he'll have us. Keep the weekend of August 27-28 clear, bucko!

-=D=-

Darla Vladschyk

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 10:03:19 PM1/23/05
to
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:34:23 GMT, Paula <mmmtob...@earthlink.ent>
wrote:

>So now I am going to have to hate you as well as Terri and her
>horsies? ...

No, just ax your Dad to bring you along to Yurp!

-=D=-

Darla Vladschyk

unread,
Jan 23, 2005, 10:07:28 PM1/23/05
to
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:52:42 GMT, Paula <mmmtob...@earthlink.ent>
wrote:

>... What pisses me off is people who are currently living
>better lives than mine. ...

Yeah well lissen up grrfren: You may have buttcrack plumbers livin'
in your house, and cabinets that don't match up right, but you ALSO
got two beautiful lovin' little girls, and that makes your life better
than mine FOREVER.

You WIN. So there.

-=D=-

Paula

unread,
Jan 24, 2005, 12:04:22 AM1/24/05
to

Last I heard, my dad was planning to go to Argentina with my brother,
not Yurp with you and Vlad. Dammit! If I've told him once, I've told
him a million times to never take off the tin foil hat!

Mark South

unread,
Jan 24, 2005, 1:16:17 AM1/24/05
to
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 02:10:06 +0000, Theresa Willis wrote:

> Yeah, but as non-Americans, you are the people who laugh at us for being
> so astoundingly gauche, so, you know, WE'RE REALLY SORRY.

IFYPFY.

Message has been deleted

Nick Bensema

unread,
Jan 24, 2005, 11:56:52 AM1/24/05
to
In article <pan.2005.01.21....@null.invalid>,
Mark South <mark...@null.invalid> wrote:
>In re Nick's suggestion, there is an excellellellenenenent London walking
>tour following the path of the old city walls. It's a couple of miles, at
>a slow pace, manageable^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hsurvivable even for our North
>American cousins.

Actually, when you land at the airport, there will be a giant
pamphlet booth somewhere that even a visually-impaired person will
notice it, with lots of little white pamphlets, each of which
describes dozens of walking tours leaving at various points throughout
the city, mostly originating from Tube stations or nearby landmarks.
There are also pub walks, which I plan to try next time. It'll
also point you in the right direction of a place that does
English-language walks in Paris, of which there are slightly fewer.


--
Nick Bensema <ni...@io.com> AIM: NBensema
==== ======= ============== http://www.io.com/~nickb/

John D Salt

unread,
Jan 24, 2005, 1:00:52 PM1/24/05
to
Darla Vladschyk <Darl...@Gmail.com> wrote in
news:mfp8v094at06obqms...@4ax.com:

[Snips]


> and cabinets that don't match up right,

Furniture is supposed to match?

Why wasn't I told?

All the best,

John.

Mark South

unread,
Jan 24, 2005, 2:03:43 PM1/24/05
to
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:56:52 -0600, Nick Bensema wrote:

> In article <pan.2005.01.21....@null.invalid>,
> Mark South <mark...@null.invalid> wrote:
>>In re Nick's suggestion, there is an excellellellenenenent London walking
>>tour following the path of the old city walls. It's a couple of miles, at
>>a slow pace, manageable^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hsurvivable even for our North
>>American cousins.
>
> Actually, when you land at the airport, there will be a giant
> pamphlet booth somewhere that even a visually-impaired person will
> notice it, with lots of little white pamphlets, each of which
> describes dozens of walking tours leaving at various points throughout
> the city, mostly originating from Tube stations or nearby landmarks.
> There are also pub walks, which I plan to try next time. It'll
> also point you in the right direction of a place that does
> English-language walks in Paris, of which there are slightly fewer.

Not sure there are any good places to park their cruise ship in Paris, the
Seine being a bit shallow most places.

Nick Bensema

unread,
Jan 24, 2005, 2:53:09 PM1/24/05
to
In article <t6p8v0dj4kvokmtle...@4ax.com>,

Doesn't Chrid still live thereabouts?

And aren't there any more London Kibologists? There was one who
couldn't make it last time I was there.

Message has been deleted

Darla Vladschyk

unread,
Jan 24, 2005, 8:55:31 PM1/24/05
to
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:56:52 -0600, ni...@eris.io.com (Nick Bensema)
wrote:

>Actually, when you land at the airport, there will be a giant
>pamphlet booth somewhere that even a visually-impaired person will
>notice it, with lots of little white pamphlets, each of which
>describes dozens of walking tours leaving at various points throughout
>the city, mostly originating from Tube stations or nearby landmarks.
>There are also pub walks, which I plan to try next time. It'll
>also point you in the right direction of a place that does
>English-language walks in Paris, of which there are slightly fewer.

Great! Thanks, Nick, we'll look for it/them.

-=D=-

Darla Vladschyk

unread,
Jan 24, 2005, 8:56:42 PM1/24/05
to
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:53:09 -0600, ni...@eris.io.com (Nick Bensema)
wrote:

>Doesn't Chrid still live thereabouts?


>
>And aren't there any more London Kibologists? There was one who
>couldn't make it last time I was there.

We would love to meet up with whomever is available that weekend for
good brew and maybe some fish & chips or pizza or tripe or whatever
you lot eat over there.

Make me a list!

-=D=-

Paula

unread,
Jan 25, 2005, 12:53:38 AM1/25/05
to
On 24 Jan 2005 18:00:52 GMT, John D Salt <jdsalt_AT_gotadsl.co.uk>
wrote:

>Darla Vladschyk <Darl...@Gmail.com> wrote in
>news:mfp8v094at06obqms...@4ax.com:
>
>[Snips]
>> and cabinets that don't match up right,
>
>Furniture is supposed to match?
>
>Why wasn't I told?

My dear, sweet Gokmop, we are talking cabinetry here, not just any
furniture. This is base cabinetry, no less. Another words, if the
cabinets do not match up right, you might spill your port every time
you set it down for a minute. Now do you see the huge problem we are
talking here?

--
Paula
"Or if you really want to meet me just take the NJT to 78, take 78 to 24, take 24 until it runs out, and then just drive around listening for the sound of quietly smoldering rage." Ben Allard

Zixia

unread,
Jan 25, 2005, 3:13:28 AM1/25/05
to
Quoth the Darla Vladschyk:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:53:09 -0600, ni...@eris.io.com (Nick Bensema)
> wrote:
>
>>Doesn't Chrid still live thereabouts?

Chrid is still about and would no doubt be jollied in to coming up to
foggy old London town for a drink and a pie.

> We would love to meet up with whomever is available that weekend for
> good brew and maybe some fish & chips or pizza or tripe or whatever
> you lot eat over there.

Jellied eels, perhaps. Or curry. Curried jelly eels?

> Make me a list!

Uh, okie:

10 PEOPLE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE CHOKE ON A PIE

1. Ben Allard.
2.

Hmm, I didn't really think this idea through.

--
(2.12) The Master said: 'A gentleman does not behave as a tool.'
(o_ (o_ (o_ (o_ (o_ (-_ (o_ (o_ (o_ (o_ (o_ (o~ (o_ (o_
//\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\ //\
V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_ V_/_

Nick Bensema

unread,
Jan 25, 2005, 11:50:12 AM1/25/05
to
In article <io9bv0t7k82k70qdv...@4ax.com>,

Darla Vladschyk <Darl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>We would love to meet up with whomever is available that weekend for
>good brew and maybe some fish & chips or pizza or tripe or whatever
>you lot eat over there.

BANGERS AND MASH!

And probably a Guinness too, even htough that's Irish. I had something more
English there, but it wasn't one of those warm beers, if I recall correctly.

John D Salt

unread,
Jan 25, 2005, 1:05:35 PM1/25/05
to
Paula <mmmtob...@earthlink.ent> wrote in
news:rgdbv0tfuc5p2cb8g...@4ax.com:

[Snips]


> My dear, sweet Gokmop, we are talking cabinetry here, not
> just any furniture. This is base cabinetry, no less.
> Another words, if the cabinets do not match up right, you
> might spill your port every time you set it down for a
> minute. Now do you see the huge problem we are talking
> here?

Cor crikey, that sounds serious.

So are these "base cabinets" used to support some kind of
tabletop? I am not familiar with the use of other port-drinking
surfaces. But I am wondering if you could arrange to have at
each corner a lower cabinet than the one at the next corner to
the right, in the style of an Escher picture, so that you could
mount your decanter on a set of wheels and have it pass itself to
the left without need of human intervention.

No more embarrassing "Do you know the Bishop of Exeter?" moments
for inattentive imbibers. Another triumph of American ingenuity
and Anglo-British collaboration.

All the best,

John.

Andrew Pearson

unread,
Jan 25, 2005, 1:08:28 PM1/25/05
to
Darla Vladschyk wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:53:09 -0600, n...@eris.io.com (Nick Bensema)
> wrote:

> >And aren't there any more London Kibologists? There was one who
> >couldn't make it last time I was there.

> We would love to meet up with whomever is available that weekend for
> good brew and maybe some fish & chips or pizza or tripe or whatever
> you lot eat over there.

> Make me a list!

Darla, I take that you & Vlad will be doing the sensible thing and
taking a leisurely 800 kilometre stroll from Paris across to
Luxembourg?

--
Andrew Pearson: "Exactly what the web needs less of"

Steve Christensen

unread,
Jan 25, 2005, 2:06:50 PM1/25/05
to
In article <35mdd8F...@individual.net>, Zixia wrote:
> Quoth the Darla Vladschyk:

>> Make me a list!
>
> Uh, okie:
>
> 10 PEOPLE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE CHOKE ON A PIE
>
> 1. Ben Allard.
> 2.

It is so obvious you are the cad behind Good King Joffrey's poisoning


-Steve
--
So if you people can't figure out what my birthday is based on subtle
hints and vague statements made at random intervals then I'm beginning
to think that you really don't care. -- Dean Lenort, a.r.k.

Glenn Knickerbocker

unread,
Jan 25, 2005, 3:32:06 PM1/25/05
to
Zixia wrote:
> 10 PEOPLE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE CHOKE ON A PIE

I'm sure you would like to see me choke on a Cornish pasty, or at least
try, wouldn't you? If we ever make it back to London, you should make
sure to provide us with plenty of them, just in case.

ŹR

Darla Vladschyk

unread,
Jan 25, 2005, 10:08:50 PM1/25/05
to
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:50:12 -0600, ni...@eris.io.com (Nick Bensema)
wrote:

>BANGERS AND MASH!

Sorry, I am a married woman!

-=D=-

Darla Vladschyk

unread,
Jan 25, 2005, 10:10:12 PM1/25/05
to
On 25 Jan 2005 10:08:28 -0800, "Andrew Pearson" <apea...@pt.lu>
wrote:

>Darla, I take that you & Vlad will be doing the sensible thing and
>taking a leisurely 800 kilometre stroll from Paris across to
>Luxembourg?

No Paris this time. Paris next summer, along with Germany and Austria
and assorted other places. Luxembourg is certainly do-able.

-=D=-

Paula

unread,
Jan 25, 2005, 11:06:35 PM1/25/05
to
On 25 Jan 2005 18:05:35 GMT, John D Salt <jdsalt_AT_gotadsl.co.uk>
wrote:

>So are these "base cabinets" used to support some kind of

>tabletop? I am not familiar with the use of other port-drinking
>surfaces. But I am wondering if you could arrange to have at
>each corner a lower cabinet than the one at the next corner to
>the right, in the style of an Escher picture, so that you could
>mount your decanter on a set of wheels and have it pass itself to
>the left without need of human intervention.

The usual way to do these base cabinets is to have a counter top set
upon them. However, it will no doubt be several more months of
buttcrack asshat madcap adventure before that is accomplished.
Counter top surfaces generally prefer matched up and level surfaces to
sit on, so the not matching up is combining with the general lazy ass
and head up the assedness of the cabinet people to delay things
interminably. I don't know about this Escher cabinet idea. Sounds
like something that would attract a bunch of nerds to come hang out in
my kitchen looking to be fed and entertained and stuff.

James Kibo Parry

unread,
Jan 25, 2005, 11:42:17 PM1/25/05
to
Paula (mmmtob...@earthlink.ent) wrote:

>
> John D Salt (jdsalt_AT_gotadsl.co.uk) wrote:
> >
> > So are these "base cabinets" used to support some kind of
> > tabletop? I am not familiar with the use of other port-drinking
> > surfaces. But I am wondering if you could arrange to have at
> > each corner a lower cabinet than the one at the next corner to
> > the right, in the style of an Escher picture, so that you could
> > mount your decanter on a set of wheels and have it pass itself to
> > the left without need of human intervention.
>
> The usual way to do these base cabinets is to have a counter top set
> upon them. However, it will no doubt be several more months of
> buttcrack asshat madcap adventure before that is accomplished.
> Counter top surfaces generally prefer matched up and level surfaces to
> sit on, so the not matching up is combining with the general lazy ass
> and head up the assedness of the cabinet people to delay things
> interminably. I don't know about this Escher cabinet idea. Sounds
> like something that would attract a bunch of nerds to come hang out in
> my kitchen looking to be fed and entertained and stuff.

Hey, cool, let me know when you get the cabinets and nerds installed
because I want to come over and point at both of them and laugh.

I love Escher, but I'm tired of seeing the same three or four prints
over and over. The guy did a lot of purty pictures and they're all
good, but 75% of the time when someone has an Escher print on their
wall it's "Relativity" or "Metamorphosis" or "Ascending and Descending".
What's wrong with the ones with the scary planaria? Everybody enjoys
cross-eyed flatworms!

If you do go with the Escher cabinets, you might consider deforming
each of them non-destructively (through the awesome power of wood-warping)
so that each of your cabinets encloses the one to its right, all the
way around the room until the first cabinet contains itself, so that
you can have lots of fun trying to figure out how to get your food
out of the intransigently intransitive cabinets.

You could use them to store your intransitive dice. Suppose you have
three six-sided dice, with these numbers on the faces:

die A: 6 3 3 3 3 3

die B: 5 5 5 2 2 2

die C: 4 4 4 4 4 1

If you were to roll A and B, A would beat B most of the time.
And B would beat C most of the time. But C beats A most of the time!
The spots on each die add up to 21, just like any other die, giving
each of the three dice the same average value (3.5) but...
A beats B 58% of the time, B beats C 58% of the time, and yet C beats A
a whopping 69% of the time. It's mathenoxiously disturbifying!

And of course while it would be physically impossible to make each
of your cabinets completely contain the next one in the loop, you
could do like the dice and make the first cabinet contain at least
51% of the second one, which would contain 51% of the third one,
which would contain 51% of the fourth one, which would contain 51% of
the first one, so while this construction would not be impossible,
still, most of the time when you stuck your arm in instead of coming
out with a can of beans you'd be sucked into eternal oblivion in
Dimension X, where X is a number simultaneously greater than 11 but
less than 7. The casinos there suck.

-- K.

I hear Gary Gygax
once invented an
eleven-sided die,
but it was a failure
because nobody wanted
to play with a die
where all eleven
faces said "YOU'RE
A DORK."

Talysman the Ur-Beatle

unread,
Jan 26, 2005, 12:20:00 AM1/26/05
to
ki...@world.std.com (James "Kibo" Parry) wrote in
news:kibo-25010...@10.0.1.2:

> I hear Gary Gygax
> once invented an
> eleven-sided die,
> but it was a failure
> because nobody wanted
> to play with a die
> where all eleven
> faces said "YOU'RE
> A DORK."

does it make me nerdier than you to say "it's LOU ZOCCHI, not GARY GYGAX!"?


--
Talysman the Ur-Beatle, STRAWGRASPER

James Kibo Parry

unread,
Jan 26, 2005, 1:00:16 AM1/26/05
to
Talysman the Ur-Beatle (talysma...@gmail.com) wrote:

>
> James "Kibo" Parry (ki...@world.std.com) wrote:
> >
> > I hear Gary Gygax once invented an eleven-sided die,
> > but it was a failure because nobody wanted to play with a die
> > where all eleven faces said "YOU'RE A DORK."
>
> does it make me nerdier than you to say "it's LOU ZOCCHI, not GARY GYGAX!"?

Yes, because I don't know who that is or whether you get free Crazy Bread
with every order of louzocchi.

Oh, wait! You mean the guy who developed the hundred-sided Zocchihedral dice!
I met him once, and you're still the biggest nerd in this sentence.

By the way, who's Gary Gygax? Is he just Wil Wheaton with different
initials? Or was that Hugh Hefner? I'm confused by your extreme nerdiness.

-- K.

I bet you get your salsa
from NEW YORK CITY!

Ben Allard

unread,
Jan 26, 2005, 2:05:32 AM1/26/05
to
Zixia <ab...@clu.org.uk> wrote:

> Quoth the Darla Vladschyk:
>


>> Make me a list!
>
> Uh, okie:
>
> 10 PEOPLE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE CHOKE ON A PIE
>
> 1. Ben Allard.
> 2.
>
> Hmm, I didn't really think this idea through.

That's not the only thing you didn't think through! Of course, you
weren't to know your thermite bomb wouldn't seal Baron von Usbeck's
fourth and fifth escape tunnels, since your arctic survey team
COMPLETELY FAILED TO DETECT THEM! I've warned you time and again
never to send a Swede to do a man's work!

Oh such revenge I planned, piloting the late Baron's gyropod back to
Novgorod. But the affliction of your insidious robocancer forestalled
any such thoughts on my part, forcing me to ditch in the French Alps.
(BTW, please send my warmest regards to the lovely Thalia, and thank
her for that extraordinary cocktail she served me. I don't think I'll
ever forget it, or her.)

Where explosives failed, your cyberplague nearly did me in. Stranded
in Nice's frigid wasteland, I finally felt the flux vitae depart my
emaciated, betumored husk. At the last moment I was able, by calling
upon the occult teachings and deep reserves of mystical chi energy
imparted to me by my former tibetan masters, to impress my fading
consciousness upon the Helsinki ant supercolony WHERE I have been
TRAPPED to this day! Indeed, I have been reduced to this one method
of communication remaining to me, sacrificing individual members of my
mind-body to be shorted out in the transistors of the circuit boards
of the news servers of some GOD-FORSAKEN german free university to
have ANY contact with the outside world AT ALL!

But, my dear Philip, please don't think these small trials have
distracted me from our unfinished business. But I would be loathe to
reveal too much of what awaits you. Simply put, it's to be hoped that
you've laid in an ample supply of penicillin aboard your yacht! And
you may wish to avoid any MAGNESIUM refineries in the coming months,
IF YOU CAN!!

AH HA-HA hahaha, HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

--
Ben
Hydrogen. A light, colorless gas which, given sufficient time, turns
into dildos.
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes, on the universe's slowest marital aid

Matthew L. Martin

unread,
Jan 26, 2005, 6:32:18 AM1/26/05
to
Darla Vladschyk wrote:

No sex please, We're British.

Matthew

--
Thermodynamics and/or Golf for dummies: There is a game
You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

Matthew L. Martin

unread,
Jan 26, 2005, 6:35:14 AM1/26/05
to
James Kibo Parry wrote:
>
> I love Escher, but I'm tired of seeing the same three or four prints
> over and over. The guy did a lot of purty pictures and they're all
> good, but 75% of the time when someone has an Escher print on their
> wall it's "Relativity" or "Metamorphosis" or "Ascending and Descending".
> What's wrong with the ones with the scary planaria? Everybody enjoys
> cross-eyed flatworms!
>

I have more than 4 escher patterns on ties. I don't have any of the above.

Kevin S. Wilson

unread,
Jan 26, 2005, 10:33:12 AM1/26/05
to
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 04:06:35 GMT, Paula <mmmtob...@earthlink.ent>
wrote:

> I don't know about this Escher cabinet idea. Sounds
>like something that would attract a bunch of nerds to come hang out in
>my kitchen looking to be fed and entertained and stuff.

Why would you need the Escher cabinet to make that happen? You already
have bQQbies.

Tim Serpas

unread,
Jan 26, 2005, 12:19:21 PM1/26/05