Torah-Forum V6 #100

Torah-Forum

Mar 22, 2001, 12:51:25 AM3/22/01
Torah-Forum Wednesday, March 21 2001 Volume 06 : Number 100

Subjects Discussed In This Issue:

Re: Creation
Pictures in Synagogues
Spelling of Perel
Re: Creation
Re: Creation
Re: From Adding and Subtracting to Building Fences
Re: Astrology
Re: Free Will
Re: Creation
Re: Astrology
Re: Jewish Name Avoids Confusion
Re: modesty
Re: From Adding and Subtracting to Building Fences
Re: Pain on the Sabbath
Re: modesty
Re: Jewish Name Avoids Confusion
Re: From Adding and Subtracting to Building Fences
Re: Why is Shabbos Shira for the birds?!
Re: From Adding and Subtracting to Building Fences
Re: Astrology
Re: modesty
G-d's Name Lost?
Elijah at the Seder
Re: Pain on the Sabbath
Re: Astrology
Re: Excommunication
Sudilkov Online Landsmanshaft - 1 Year Anniversary
Re: Jewish Prophecies of Messiah

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:09:14 -0500
From: Fleisch...@hqmc.usmc.mil
Subject: Re: Creation

Nadeen Kyle <angel...@home.com> wrote:
<<I've been meaning to ask a question of you all. Do all or some Jews
believe in 6 literal days of creation? Someone told me that most Jews do
not and of course I had no idea what you believe.>>

The Rambam, in his "Guide for the Perplexed," actually warns against a
literal interpretation saying that the creation accounts must be read
metaphorically. He goes on to show how a literal interpretation can lead to
idolatrous ideas; i.e., literally interpreting phrases such as "G-D spoke"
or "G-D saw," leads one to think G-D has a physical form including a mouth
and eyes.

We know that G-D is incorporeal -- without form. This can be logically
derived by considering that if corporeal, then by definition He must be
subject to the physical laws of the universe and could not exist prior to
the universe's creation, therefore G-D could not be the creator. Since the
Torah is clear on the one point that G-D is the source of all things,
including the physical laws of the universe, then He cannot be corporeal
and verses in the Torah that prescribe physical characteristics cannot be
taken literally.

We are told that the Torah is written in the words of man. This means that
it is brought down to a level which we can comprehend. You heard the old
adage that you can't describe color to a blind man? In a sense we are blind
to that which exists beyond our physical world. We do not have the ability
to feel G-D's presence with our senses (sight, touch, smell, etc).
Therefore, a completely accurate literal description of G-D and his actions
is beyond our comprehension.

Which brings us to your question about six days. Again, remember G-D is
above the physical laws of the universe -- including the laws of time. He
can exist in the past, present and future simultaneously. For this reason,
I feel that saying "G-D did such and such on that day" must be read
metaphorically, just as the Rambam reads the physical descriptions of G-D
as a metaphor.

Why then does the Torah refer to six days rather than five or seven? To
teach us the importance of Shabbos. G-D sets an example by resting on the
seventh day, metaphorically. Obviously, he has no need to rest. But we are
expected to follow His example.

So what is the purpose of the story of creation? That would take volumes to
answer, but briefly two lessons to be learned are that (1) all things come
from G-D, and (2) all things ultimately belong to G-D.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:25:19 EST
From: Yma...@aol.com
Subject: Pictures in Synagogues

It says in the kitzur shulchan aruch (siman yud ches, sif ches):
"He must not pray (shmoneh esrei) in front of a picture."
Why are the following permitted?

a) pictures on stained glass windows
b) pictures on the paroches (curtain on the Ark)
c) pictures on the walls such as lions, luchos etc...

Yehuda Goldsmith

------------------------------

Date: 26 Feb 2001 17:13:16 EST
From: Ron Judenberg <rsj...@usa.net>
Subject: Spelling of Perel

Does anyone know the correct Hebrew (Yiddish) spelling of Perel? It is
needed for a headstone for a grave, and no one is sure. We do not have a
copy of her Ketuba to look at.

Thanks.
Ron Judenberg
rsj...@usa.net

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:42:25 -0500 (EST)
From: Russell Hendel <rhe...@mcs.drexel.edu>

Nadeen Kyle in Torah Forum Volume 6 Number 97 asks:
<<I've been meaning to ask a question of you all. Do all or some Jews
believe in 6 literal days of creation? Someone told me that most Jews do
not and of course I had no idea what you believe.>>

This question has been answered many times on Torah forum. Several points
are worth noting.

* There are many respectable orthodox sources and Rabbis that believe in
the literal interpretation of the 6 days of creation.

* I have written an article to be published in the journal BOR HATORAH and
which may be found at the following url
(http://www.RashiYomi.Com/gen-1.htm) and which was originally published in
Torah Forum digests. In this article I suggest that what was created 6000
years ago was not the physical world or man or even man's superior soul;
rather what was created 6000 years ago was prophecy. The first prophecy
was >CREATED< 6000 years ago when G-d told Adam to abstain from eating from
the Tree of Knowledge.

* I further show (based on Rashis) that there were no traditional 6 days of
creation. The traditional Hebrew term for 6 days is first, second, third..
But the torah in counting the days uses the phrases one, two, three
suggesting that what is being presented are 6 modules on prophecy, not 6
consecutive days of creation.

Russell Jay Hendel; Dept of math; Towson;
http://www.RashiYomi.Com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 23:57:27 +0100
From: "Kochav ben Yehuda" <kochav_b...@hotmail.com>

Nadeen Kyle <angel...@home.com> wrote:
<<I've been meaning to ask a question of you all. Do all or some Jews
believe in 6 literal days of creation? Someone told me that most Jews do
not and of course I had no idea what you believe.>>

Some believe in a literal 6 day creation, but many believe that the event
of creation was much longer ago than 5761 solar years.

"Study astronomy and physics if you desire to comprehend the relation
between the world and G-d's management of it." (Maimonides, Guide for the
Perplexed) Our sages have always expressed that we can not use Torah as a
literal history book. As is said "there is no before and after in Torah".

The Talmud (Chagiga, ch. 2) tells us that from the first sentence of Torah,
through the beginning of Chapter Two, the entire text is given in parable
form, a poem with a text and a subtext. And as the Zohar states: " Woe unto
those who see in the Law nothing but simple narratives and ordinary
words..... Every word of Torah contains an elevated sense and a sublime
mystery...The narratives of Torah, are but a raiment. Woe unto him who
mistakes the raiment for Torah!

About the creation of the world, it is said in Torah: "Bereishis Bara
Elokim es hashamayim ve es haaretz, ve haaretz haysah tohu vawohu
vechoshech al-penei sehom, veruach Elokim merachefes"

A first century kabbalist calculated from the secret name of Hashem hidden
in these sentences, that the age of the earth was about 15,3 billion years
old, an outcome, which is very close to the nowadays, by scholars, presumed
age of the universe.

Just bear in mind that time as we count it is based on our turning around
the sun (1 year) and the earth turning around itself (1 day). Then bear in
mind that the sun and the moon were not created before the 4th "day". So
those first 3 days can not be measured in time as we use it today!

Creation was a process with G-d using nature, which He also created, to
implement this process. The gematria, numerology, for the word, "Elokim" is
86, which is the same as the word, "ha'teva," meaning nature. The
significance of the use of Elokim in Genesis 1 signifies that the universe
was created using natural, impersonal, forces.

The first place Hashem appears in Scripture is as an acrostic. At the end
of each of the first five "days", the Torah says, "And then there was
evening and there was morning, <Number> day." However, at the end of the
Sixth day, the Torah says, adding the word, "the" (at the very end of
Chapter 1), "And then there was evening and there was morning, THE sixth
day." In the Hebrew, "the sixth day is, "yom ha'shishi." If we add the
beginning words of Chapter 2 we get, "Yom Ha'shishi; Va-y'chulu
Ha'shamayim..." ("The sixth day; and the heavens and the earth [were
completed]"). The Hebrew equivalents of YKVK spell the Tetragrammaton.

Following this introduction of "Hashem", and immediately following the
seventh day of cessation, the Tetragramaton is introduced as a separate
word, in Gen. 2:4, "These are the generations of the heaven and the earth
when they were created, when Hashem Elokim made earth and heaven." This
confirms that Hashem and Elokim are One.

Actually, the literal translation of the above verse is, "These are the
generations of the heaven and the earth ON THE DAY they were created, when
Hashem Elokim made earth and heaven." This sentence expresses that
generations took place in a "day." Could there be more evidence than this
that the word, "day," does not necessarily mean a 24-hour day? Similarly,
we can later read, "This is the book of the generations of man on the day
that G-d created man. (Gen. 5:1)"

So all we can say about the actual age (counted in our now used solar
years) is mere speculation. Our sages made a clear division between the
first 5 days of creation and day six, the day, when man was created. On
Rosh Hashana (Jewish new year) we celebrate the birthday of the creation of
the world. But as the Medrash (Vayikra Rabba 29:1), tells us we actually
commemorate the creation of man (the 6th day). So we start counting from
day 6 with solar years.

Kochav

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:07:35 +0200
From: "Moshe Hillson" <mhil...@iname.com>
Subject: Re: From Adding and Subtracting to Building Fences

In Torah-Forum V6 #98, "Aaron Allsbrook" <aall...@hotmail.com> asked:
<<...How does one reconcile this commentary with the entire Talmud: mishnah
and gemara? My point being that these two writings put together seem to be
the addition of human words to those of G-d. Rashi says that Eve was in the
wrong for doing such. How is it any different for the rabbis of blessed
memory to do the same? There is no difference in what they have done and
what Eve did. I'm open to all angles of perspective because my perplexity
is all-encompassing at this point. >>

We must differentiate between Rabbinical ordinances and decrees, which were
initiated with the express knowledge that they are _not_ the words of G-d,
but the words of the Sages instituted to "put a fence around the Torah".
Eve's mistake was like what the Torah warned us not to do (Deut. 4:2, and
13:1): To add or detract from G-d's word as an "amendment" to His word (G-d
forbid).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 06:16:29 -0600
From: "Dr R. Kramer" <kra...@netvision.net>
Subject: Re: Astrology

Russell Hendel <rhe...@mcs.drexel.edu> wrote:
<<Astrology is a Biblical crime...By definition Kabbalah (Mysticism) is
enigmatic. How can we be so certain about something enigmatic that we can
override a Biblical prohibition!?!?! I asked for legal sources not for
stories. You can't just erase a Biblical law...I restate my question:
Astrology is Biblically prohibited. It borders on idolatry. What gives any
one the right to interpret those rare passages on astrology literally
seeing that it violates a Biblical law. Maybe its time we admit that
astrology is just wrong and Mystical references to it are simply not
understood...>>

There are two issues here, the first is that astrology IN THE WAY THEY DO
IT is forbidden because it does not acknowledge G-d (don't jump on me just
yet). Therefore there is a "kosher" astrology. Source from the gemara is
the end of Shabbos.

BUT as Dr. Hendel suggests, we DON'T understand the mystical sources and
even in kabbalah, it is brought down that we should not be playing around
with it. All traditional and kabbalistic sources believe that astrology is
real. The problem comes if we G-d forbid, use it while even for a second we
stop acknowledging that He is the creator of all things, that is,
astrologers often say the stars control us. This is what is forbidden.

So, in short, one type of astrology is permissible BUT forbidden to us - we
simply do not understand it. Today there exists a small handful of
kabbalists (in Eretz Yisroel) who have this knowledge. When someone gets to
their level of knowledge of gemara, halacha AND kabbalah, then it will be
permitted.

Dr. Yerachmiel Kramer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 04:54:54 EST
From: Rebb...@aol.com
Subject: Re: Free Will

Fleisch...@hqmc.usmc.mil writes:
<<Each person is born with certain personality traits, which he is free to
use either for the sanctification of HaShem or for evil purposes. A person
born with a lust for blood may grow up to become a violent criminal, or he
may grow up to become a shochet (kosher butcher) or a mohel (one who
performs the brit milah/circumcision). The choice is his.>>

Or the person, realizing that a particular personality trait is a "lust,"
may choose to take steps to overcoming it, and one with a lust for blood
may become a peacemaker. Who is strong? One who overcomes his own inclination.

- --Zev-Hayyim Feyer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:38:18 -0500
From: "J.D. Martin" <j8...@hotmail.com>

Nadeen Kyle <angel...@home.com> wrote:
<<I've been meaning to ask a question of you all. Do all or some Jews
believe in 6 literal days of creation? Someone told me that most Jews do
not and of course I had no idea what you believe.>>

I'm not jewish, but I've been to many synagogues. Some Jews believe in it
literally and other's metaphorically. I've been told that what was created
on Yom Echad, 1st day, was the light of prophecy not the electromagnetic
stuff we know to be a form of radiant energy. What is given to us is a
reason WHY not so much as how. I like a combination of the too.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:47:27 -0500
From: "J.D. Martin" <j8...@hotmail.com>

JD Martin in tfV6n93 states that
<<The point here is that once something exists it can not be rehidden, and
should therefore be fully investigated, from every angle...>>

Russell Hendel <rhe...@mcs.drexel.edu> replied:
<<This is totally contrary to both Jewish Law the Bible and the prophets.*
Jewish Law prohibits studying astrology even they are predictive...since we
have better methods (See Rambam Foundations of Torah 10:3)>>

I wasn't suggesting Jews engage in illicit actions, only that the mechanics
of the activity be understood. Maybe even this is unlawful for Jews. Let
Noahide do it then, unless this too is illegal.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 01:16:29 -0500
From: Debbie <compu...@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Jewish Name Avoids Confusion

RMP...@aol.com wrote:
<<This would be a great chance for you to start using your Jewish name.
Something that is considered very good and timely as it helped us merit
redemption from Egypt.>>

If my name were something unique like "Dina Malka Leah Bat Esther Sara"
maybe that would follow. But Devora is not exactly unique. compugraphd, my
screen name, is much more unique. Maybe I'll stick to that.

Debbie (aka compugraphd)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 01:20:34 -0500
From: Debbie <compu...@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: modesty

Shaya Karlinsky <isa...@cc.huji.ac.il> wrote:
<<How come if a man makes a verbally suggestive comment to a women which
offends her, it is termed "sexual harassment" with legal consequences. But
if a woman dresses suggestively in a way that arouses or offends a man, the
man is told that it is part of the woman's freedom to dress in a way that
makes her feel good, and since it is HIS problem, he should control himself.>>

Maybe for the same reason that men use suggestive comments to women to make
women feel inferior and uncomfortable. It isn't sexual; it's a power play.
BTW, there are some men who will be aroused by a woman in a potato
sack. I'm quite sick of men acting as though all women are seductresses
when they just can't control their glands and hormones.

Debbie

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:23:42 EST
From: RMP...@aol.com

"Aaron Allsbrook" <aall...@hotmail.com> wrote, in part:
<<...In Genesis 3:3, concerning Eve's reply to the serpent, " 'Of the fruit
of the tree which is in the center of the garden G-d has said: 'You shall
not eat of it and you shall not touch it, lest you die.' ' ...How is it any
different for the rabbis of blessed memory to do the same? There is no
difference in what they have done and what Eve did. I'm open to all angles
of perspective because my perplexity is all-encompassing at this point...>>

The problem was that Adam failed to tell Eve it was a 'fence'. Though
Rabbinic laws have full backing of Creator important to distinguish between
d'Oraysa (Toraitic) and d'Rabbanan (Rabbinic) prohibitions. This incident
seems to support the Kabbalist approach that Adam knew all Torah even
command not to add, subtract... as well as make a fence... See Master the
Medrash Series by R' Nachman Cohen, Torah Lishmah Institute.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 04:51:19 EST
From: Rebb...@aol.com
Subject: Re: Pain on the Sabbath

Binyamin Dissen <bdi...@dissensoftware.com> remarks, based on Hilchot
Shabbat. It seems to me, however, that there are at least two approaches to
the question: 1. Being machmir on Shabbat. 2. Being machmir on Piku'ah Nefesh.

I have a recollection that Rav Moshe Feinstein was asked whether it was
permitted for a physician, having been summoned to the hospital on Shabbat
for a case that was unquestionably piku'ah nefesh (and having driven there,
driving his own car being the fastest way to get to the hospitalized
patient), was then permitted to drive back home afterwards. My recollection
of Rav Moshe's psak (and I emphasize that this is my recollection -- I am
not a posek and I do not have the text of Rav Moshe's psak immediately
available to me) is that, while a strict ruling would forbid the
physician's driving back home after the emergency is over (since there is
no longer an issue of piku'ah nefesh), he would permit it, since to rule
strictly might inhibit a physician from attending to the patient in the
first place.

I also recall a tale told of one of the Hassidic rebbeim, who ruled in
favor of setting aside Shabbat observance for a seemingly minor pain or
illness (I do not recall the details, but the issue was not, in fact, life-
or limb-threatening). In response to criticism that he was making light of
Shabbat, he replied, "No; I am not lenient about Shabbat; I am extremely
machmir on piku'ah nefesh."

- --Zev-Hayyim Feyer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:40:54 -0600
From: blo...@msnotes.wustl.edu

Shaya Karlinsky asks:
<<...How come if a man makes a verbally suggestive comment to a women which
offends her, it is termed "sexual harassment" with legal consequences. But
if a woman dresses suggestively in a way that arouses or offends a man, the
man is told that it is part of the woman's freedom to dress in a way that
makes her feel good, and since it is HIS problem, he should control
himself...>>

There does seem to be a double standard. I don't know if it will make you
feel any better, but where I work there is a very explicit dress code for
women which specifies acceptable hem lengths, colors, fabrics,
undergarments (I'm not kidding -certain undergarments are banned and
there's a whole section on undergarments not being visible), make-up,
jewelry, etc., all of which ensures that no woman could possibly be
considered arousing while on the job.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:51:52 -0500
From: Michael Hamm <MH...@gc.cuny.edu>

In TF V6 #98, "Roger oops I mean Moshe Ben Tevya Velvel Pearlman"
<rmp...@aol.com> wrote, in part, in an open letter to "Debbie": <<This
would be a great chance for you to start using your Jewish name.>>

... by which I assume he means Hebrew name (since "Debbie" is certainly
Jewish: it's generally short for "Deborah"). I assume Mr. Pearlman
realizes, though, that not everyone has a Hebrew name. Even the most
religious of Ashk'nazim (Occidental Jews) often give their daughters -- and
sometimes sons -- only Yiddish names; and there's no difference, I think,
between Yiddish and English.

Michael Hamm;
www.crosswinds.net/~msh210/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:40:13 -0500
From: Gershon Dubin <gersho...@juno.com>

"Aaron Allsbrook" <aall...@hotmail.com> wrote:
<<...How does one reconcile this commentary with the entire Talmud: mishnah
and gemara?...>>

The basic answer is that a fence must be defined as such. The prohibitions
enacted by the Rabbis in the Talmud are to prevent someone from violating
the Torah prohibition, but at all times the Rabbis were careful to
distinguish between their own "fence" and the root prohibition.

Eve's downfall was due to Adam not making it clear to her that not touching
the tree was to prevent the real prohibition against eating. She therefore
had no basis to counter the snake's argument that once she touched, she
might as well eat.

Gershon
gersho...@juno.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:51:57 -0500
From: Michael Hamm <MH...@gc.cuny.edu>
Subject: Re: Why is Shabbos Shira for the birds?!

In TF V6 #98, fleisch...@hqmc.usmc.mil wrote, in part, that <<feeding
birds on Shabbos Shira <snip> is a minhag/custom and not a halacha/legal
requirement. In fact, I have heard more than one rabbi state that this is
not even a proper minhag because it violates the laws of Shabbos in that
one would be doing forbidden work! Therefore, this "minhag" not only does
not have the status of halacha, but may also be a violation of halacha!>>

My understanding is that one may not feed birds on Shabbos which are not
dependant on him for food. However, as far as I'm aware, one may feed any
animals on Friday, which is what we did this year. Consult your local
Orthodox rabbi (or, in absence thereof, an Ask the Rabbi service[1]) for an
halachic ruling, which I'm unqualified to render.

[1] At <URL:http://www.torah.org/qanda/answerline.php3> or
<URL:http://aish.com/rabbi/> or <webs...@ou.org> or <in...@ohr.org.il> (the
latter with 'Ask the Rabbi' in the Subject header).

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:05:30 -0500
From: "Hillel (Sabba) Markowitz" <sabb...@bcpl.net>

"Aaron Allsbrook" <aall...@hotmail.com> wrote:
<<...How does one reconcile this commentary with the entire Talmud: mishnah
and gemara? My point being that these two writings put together seem to be
the addition of human words to those of G-d. Rashi says that Eve was in the
wrong for doing such. How is it any different for the rabbis of blessed
memory to do the same? There is no difference in what they have done and
what Eve did. I'm open to all angles of perspective because my perplexity
is all-encompassing at this point.>>

The obvious difference is what she said versus the way Chazal (the sages
OB'M) expressed the fence. Eve said that *Hashem* had told them not to
touch the tree. Had she said that Adam had decided to be careful and made a
takana (decree) not to touch the tree, then she would have been correct.
Similarly, whenever Chazal make a "fence" they are very careful to state
that this is what they are doing. One of the earliest examples is adding
chicken to the category of meat regarding the prohibition of mixing meat
and milk.

The above is a very simplified explanation of the basic subject.

Hillel (Sabba) Markowitz - sabb...@bcpl.net

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:52:05 -0500
From: "J.D. Martin" <j8...@hotmail.com>

Russell Hendel <rhe...@mcs.drexel.edu> wrote:
<<Maybe its time we admit that astrology is just wrong and Mystical
references to it are simply not understood.>>

I agree that Astrology as a substitute for Mitzvot is a halachic crime, as
it removes HaShem from man's cognitive choosings. Yet it is everywhere in
Judaism, even if only indirectly.

When in Daytona Beach, FL, I was free on erev shabbat. I decided to visit a
tiny synagogue at Ormond Beach. The rabbi was hassidic and there was a
physical division between guys and gals. The men young and old gave me a
siddur (which I couldn't read unfortunately, as I am in the letter level
alef-bet and am more comfortable with transliterations).

It happened to be Adar and the rabbi said it was good mazal to deal with
financial matters such as IRS problems etc. If that wasn't some form of
Astrology, what was it? The oneg was incredibly warm by the way. The few
kids looked at me and asked Who are you? "I am a goy" I said in the
presence of everyone. I shared in the blessings over the Fruit of the Vine,
and Ha Motzi Lechem. Then we sang "Am Yisrael Chai". I was carried away.
Never since then have I felt such a jolt of Shechina, as that night of
Mazal Tov.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:41:31 +0200
From: "Kira Sirote" <ki...@sirote.net>

cjsho...@webtv.net (C J) wrote:
<<...Speaking of modesty, unless a woman has little or no hair due to genes
or illness, there shouldn't be any reason to cover it up. I don't see any
"crowns" on the heads of royalty being covered and if H'Shem has given us
women a "crown of glory", then why must we cover it? It should be a matter
of choice rather than something that is dictated. >>

I'm not sure I understand your argument. Modesty is normally defined as
covering, or downplaying, one's assets. If a woman has little or no hair to
cover, than she has no assets to downplay, and covering her head would not
be considered modesty.

I'm also not sure what you mean that crowns on the heads of royalty are not
covered. In most cultures, the more elaborate a head covering, the more
important a person. The Catholic Church is a good example of this (the Pope
has a miter in addition to the scull cap). I have heard that one of the
reasons Jews (male and female) have a long-standing tradition of covering
their heads is to increase their dignity as a "kingdom of priests".

Why do we cover assets that HaShem gave us? Well, HaShem gave women many
distinctive assets. I think we can agree that covering them serves a
purpose, no? Do you really feel that it is a matter of choice that you do so?

- -Kira

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 01:24:25 -0800 (PST)
From: X3BlueY...@webtv.net (Daniel Issaks)
Subject: G-d's Name Lost?

Can someone please explain to me in detail why are we as Jews forbidden
to utter G-ds name??? because this prohibition doesn't seem justified on
the basis that if i love My G-d i'd be entitled to pronounce his name to
honor his glories!!!

Thank you
Daniel Issaks, California

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 06:36:22 -0600
From: Leah Kamer <kit...@earthlink.net>
Subject: Elijah at the Seder

I have a Jewish background, and love being Jewish. A friend at work, a
very devout Catholic asked me the significance of the glass of wine and
open door for Elijah at the seder on Passover.

Please help me explain-Thank you,
Leah Esther

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 22:39:35 -0500 (EST)
From: Russell Hendel <rhe...@mcs.drexel.edu>

Harold Stern and Binyamin Dissen in Torah Forum Volume 6 Number 98 discuss
desecrating the Sabbath for a toothache: Here is the dialogue

HS: <<...Case 2...A man has a severe toothache; he telephones his dentist..>>
BD: <<Don't know. Can a tooth ache ever be limb threatening?>>

I just wanted to add that a severe toothache can be life threatening. More
specifically if the tooth is infected then the person has an infection in
an internal organ (which is potentially life threatening and therefore you
can desecrate the Sabbath). I think of more interest is that if I did have
a tooth abscess and went to a dentist on Shabbath he probably would not
operate on me immediately (Hence maybe I shouldn't have gone).

In passing there is a famous story where the Chazon Ish (or Rav Kook) told
a person at his private minyan on Yom Kippur who had a toothache to
immediately go to the hospital. They found out that he was gravely ill and
needed immediate attention. (Does anyone know the exact story)

Russell Hendel; Dept of Math; Towson Univ
http://www.RashiYomi.Com/judaica.htm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 00:12:28 +0100
From: "Kochav ben Yehuda" <kochav_b...@hotmail.com>

Russell Hendel <rhe...@mcs.drexel.edu> wrote:
<<Astrology is a Biblical crime. The Bible says explicitly in Dt18-09:14 that
<The Canaanite nations that you conquer seek astrologers and seance makers
but you, not so, has G-d given you>...>>

And Torah also states in Ber. 1:14:
"Let there be luminaries in the firmament.......and they shall serve as
signs...."
Rashi comments on this that these constellations have influence on what
happens on earth, but when we comply with Hashem´s will we will not be
punished (see Yirmiyahu 10:2 - Be not dismayed at the signs of heaven)

<<...By definition Kabbalah (Mysticism) is enigmatic. How can we be so
certain about something enigmatic that we can override a Biblical
prohibition!?!?! I asked for legal sources not for stories. You can't just
erase a Biblical law. <snip> I restate my question: Astrology is Biblically
prohibited. It borders on idolatry. What gives any one the right to
interpret those rare passages on astrology literally seeing that it
violates a Biblical law. Maybe its time we admit that astrology is just
wrong and Mystical references to it are simply not understood.>>

Well if you read the Rambam attentively, you will see that astrology is not
forbidden per se. He lived in a time where superstition was greatly
around, and he wanted people to turn away from all superstition and
divination. And because of the use of astrology by tribal chieftains, to
worship the planets as gods, he forbade this kind of Avodah Zarah.

Also predicting the future, while using all kinds of techniques, by PAGAN
priests, he is strongly against, as they only do this to impress common
people of their "powers", and to lure them into Avoda Zarah.

So his main concern, was Jews being lured away from Torah, to go after
foreign priests. As the Rambam states in Hilchos Avodas Kochavim 11:16:
" All the above matters, are falsehood and lies, with which the original
idolators deceived the gentile nations. It is not fitting for Jews, who are
wise sages, to be drawn into such emptiness..."

So Jews are not to go after the idols of gentile nations. And with "above
matters" he meant specifically:
- - practicing soothsaying, as idolators do.
- - divination or inquire of a diviner (fortune-teller)
- - a fortune teller is someone, who uses astrology, TO PREDICT, auspicious
times, saying "this day will be a good day, or this day will be a bad day"
- - the performance of magic tricks
- - to cast spells
- - to seek information from the dead
- - sorcery

So if you read the Rambam carefully, you will see that he does not condemn
astrology itself. He only condemns the use of it for telling a person
about specific times in the future, and the use of it for Avodah Zarah. As
his main concern was to keep Jews from going after foreign gods and
stooping to black-magic, he mentioned it the way he did.

The RambaN (Responsum 282) and The Nimukei Yosef (Sanhedrin, ch 7) explain
why astrology is NOT forbidden to study. Also Ra'vad (Hilchos Teshuvah
5:5), says:
"The mazalot (celestial sources of influence), exert influence on the
world. A Jew can however rise above those influences".

So astrology is NOT forbidden in Judaism. However as I stated before, the
interpretation of astrology should only be done by a Talmid Chochom.

Kochav

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 00:35:18 +0100
From: "Kochav ben Yehuda" <kochav_b...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Excommunication

"Kochav ben Yehuda" <kochav_b...@hotmail.com> wrote:
<<...Also the Rambam (Maimonides) was very clear he says in Hilchos avodas
kochavim 2:5): " A Jew who serves idols, is regarded an idol worshipper in
every aspect, and is not to be compared with a Jew who violated another
transgression, which is punishable by death.... they are NOT considered to
be Jews with regard to any matter"...>>

jerry e ellison <jerryel...@juno.com> replied:
<<Ah, that's exactly the one I heard. Took a long time, but somebody
finally said it. What's the official way to cite this reference if it comes
up again in conversation?...>>

What do you mean by official way? This is a quote from the Mishne Torah (or
Yad HaChazaka) of the Rambam.

<<...What kind of source is this?...>>

The Mishne Torah is a codification of Jewish law. This "Magnus Opus" is one
of the bases of Torah study.

<<...What exactly is a "Rambam (Maimonides)?"...>>

It is not "a" Rambam, but "THE" Rambam :) Rambam is an acronym which stands
for Rabbi Moshe Ben Maimon (RaMBaM), one of our greatest Sages.

<<...Is it something all or most Jews would consider an authority or just
some?>>

I have yet to meet a Jew who would not consider the Rambam to be one of our
greatest authorities (although at his time he did arouse some controversy -
to put it mildly :))

Kochav

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:04:08 -0500
From: "Ginsburg, Paul" <Gins...@state.gov>
Subject: Sudilkov Online Landsmanshaft - 1 Year Anniversary

In March 2001, the Sudilkov Online Landsmanshaft celebrates its one year
anniversary. New research initiatives include a database of Sudilkov Jews
who immigrated to America. Other areas of research include the Hasidic
history of Sudilkov and also the history of Sudilkov during the Holocaust.
The website can be viewed at: http://www.sudilkov.com

Paul W. Ginsburg
Sudilkov Online Landsmanshaft
Bethesda, MD

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:28:16 +0200
From: Daniel Freedman <mw...@iafrica.com>
Subject: Re: Jewish Prophecies of Messiah

Nadeen Kyle wrote:
<<Can someone point me to a site that has a list of (Jewish) prophecies of
the Messiah? I am only curious to see how they differ from ours. I've read
some of the questions and answers at Jews for Judaism but that is not
really what I'm looking for...>>

Posting I:

(Isaiah 2:1-6) Isaiah's Prophecies:
1. The mountain of the Temple will be the highest of all
2. Many nations will come to it
3. G-d will settle disputes among the great nations
4. G-d will hammer their swords into ploughs and their spears into
pruning-knives,
5. Nations will never again go to war, never prepare for battle again

(Isaiah 4:2-6) Isaiah's Prophecies:
6. Every man left in Jerusalem will be called holy,
7. L-rd will judge and purify the nation and wash away the guilt of
Jerusalem and the blood that has been shed there.
8. G-d will send a cloud in the daytime and smoke and bright flame at night
over mount Zion.
9. G-d's glory will cover and protect the whole city.

(Isaiah 9:1-10:4) Isaiah's Prophecies:
10. The future will bring honour to the region of the land of the tribes of
Zebulun and Naphtali.
11. His Kingdom will always be at peace,
12. He will rule has King David's successor, forever
13. G-d will do all this.
14. G-d will punish the wicked, those that fight with Israel, those that
oppress Israel.

(Isaiah 11:1-12:6) Isaiah's Prophecies:
15. A New King will arise from David's descendants.
16. The King will have wisdom, knowledge, and skill, honour G-d and know
G-d's will, and obey G-d with pleasure.
17. He will not judge by appearances or hearsay, and judge the poor fairly
and defend the rights of the helpless.
18. At his command the people will be punished, the evil will die, and he
will rule with integrity and justice.
19. Wolves and sheep will live together in peace and leopards will lie down
with young goats.
20. Lions will eat straw as cattle do.
21 Babies will be not harmed even when playing near poisonous snakes.

Isaiah's Prophecies:
22. G-d punishes his enemies,
23. Safety, Glorious Future.
24. Edom is vanquished.
25 Jerusalem is rebuilt,
26. Temple is rebuilt (Isaiah 44:26-28).
27. G-d praised Songs of praise not sorrow (Israel).
28. Whole world praises G-d
29. Jerusalem is renamed.
30. Nations Judged.
31. Everyone worships G-d in Jerusalem.

(Jeremiah 31) Jeremiah's Prophecies:
32. G-d of all the tribes of Israel.
33. Ingathering of exiles from the ends of the earth.
34. Israel set free by G-d
35. Restoration of the land by G-d,
36. Land is filled with people and animals,
37. G-d makes a new covenant with all the people of Israel and the people
of Judah together,
38. Law is within Israel
39. Law written on their hearts.
40. No-one will have to teach his fellow-citizen to know G-d,
41. Forgiveness of sins by G-d.
42. Jerusalem rebuilt.
43. Jerusalem never again is destroyed.

(Jeremiah 46-52) Jeremiah's Prophecies:
44. G-d rescues his people
45. G-d takes revenge on Israel's oppressors,
46. Israel will live in peace,
47. G-d saves his people from destruction,
48. Israel and Judah return to the land weeping.
49. Israel is laid to waste until G-d returns to his people.

Daniel Freedman

------------------------------

End of Torah-Forum V6 #100
**************************

Torah-Forum, Copyright © 2001 by Project Genesis, Inc.

This list is part of Project Genesis: Torah on the Information Superhighway.
Permission is granted to redistribute, but please give proper attribution
and copyright to the author and Project Genesis, and refer to
le...@torah.org and http://www.torah.org/ . Both the author and Project
Genesis reserve certain rights. For full information on copyrights, send
email to copyr...@torah.org .

Publishing part of a Torah-Forum digest on any other medium without
consulting the author of each quoted submission may be a breach of trust
and copyright. Contributors participate with the understanding that their
posts will be discussed with "Darchei Noam" (pleasantly) and not ridiculed
on this or any other forum.

Send submissions to Torah...@torah.org . The moderators reserve the
right to edit all submissions for clarity and/or decorum, and to refuse
submissions at their discretion.

To begin or cancel your subscription to this class, please write to
torah-foru...@torah.org or
torah-forum...@torah.org as appropriate.

For further help, and for information on archives and subscriptions
to other classes, please ask the Project Genesis Robot Gabbai,
gab...@torah.org . For automated information on dedicating this class or
otherwise supporting our program, please write to dedic...@torah.org
or dona...@torah.org . Thank you!
Project Genesis: Torah on the Information Superhighway le...@torah.org
17 Warren Road, Suite 2B http://www.torah.org/
Baltimore, MD 21208 (410) 602-1350 FAX: 510-1053

Shop online without a credit card
http://www.rocketcash.com
RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary