Wheat shortage leads to adulterated flour in Pakistan

Mo

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
If Islamic countries didnt spend so much money fighting
Jihads they would have more to eat..

Sub-standard atta floods local markets

By F.M. SHAKIL
PESHAWAR - The unholy alliance between the provincial food
department and flour millers has resulted into a highly
contaminated flour supply to the people in the provincial
metropolis.
The blackened substance, unfit for human consumption, is
available in the entire province in the name of wheat flour
while reports suggested that fatal intestine diseases had
spread in various localities due to poor quality of flour.
The response of the provincial food authorities is
intriguingly benign toward the serious threat posed to the
public health by a cartel of unscrupulous elements. Barring
a few mock arrests and face-saving measures, they failed to
take any practical step to streamline the supply and
distribution of quality flour.
Insiders revealed that the province had gone short of the
required quantity of wheat and the reserves of provincial
government were fast depleting. They said the smuggling of
wheat and flour across the border to Afghanistan had created
an acute shortage of the stuff in the province which could
not be met through ordinary measures.
The stories of wheat and flour smuggling to the neighboring
countries have been appearing in the print media for quite
some time. The reports had also indicated that the vested
interests in the ranks of millers and administration had
joined hands and through an organised operation were
involved in massive smuggling.
The provincial food department did not take any action on
the reported smuggling and resultantly, the province is now
on the verge of another atta crisis.
The unrestrained and unbridled flour and than wheat
smuggling was the bone of contention between the governments
of NWFP and the Punjab. The latter had stopped supply of
fine atta on the ground that the province had failed to
check open smuggling of the stuff to Afghanistan and other
bordering countries.
The bakers (Nanbais) when found their quota of fine atta
slashed and than totally halted, they resorted to strikes
and other harsh measures to press the government to restore
their supply. Saturday was a heavy day for Peshawarites as
most of the people faced tribulations to find a loaf of
bread. Most of families who did not have ready stocks of
flour and solely depended on the bakers to feed them, faced
the main brunt of Saturday's strike.

 <Picture>

Mo

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
Islamabad rejects Taliban envoy's nomination

F.P. Report
PESHAWAR - Pakistan has refused to receive the new
ambassador-designate of the Taliban government.
Maulvi Shahabuddin Dilawar was designated by the Taliban to
replace the present Afghan ambassador in Islamabad, Saeedur
Rahman Haqqani. Dilawar, who was the Afghan charge d'
affairs in Riyadh until last week, came to the limelight
when he was expelled by the Saudi government in a surprise
diplomatic move.
Confirming Dilawar's rejection, a source said it was done to
avoid offending Saudi Arabia.
Observers also said Pakistani authorities were weary of the
frequent change of diplomats in Islamabad by Taliban.
The Pakistani decision has reportedly annoyed the Taliban
leadership in Kandahar.
Dilawar, who was Afghanistan's Ambassador in Islamabad
before being posted in Riyadh, has also served as the Afghan
consul general in Peshawar.

gailani

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
On Mon, 05 Oct 1998 00:00:22 GMT, 11305...@compuserve.com (Mo)
wrote:

>11305...@compuserve.com (Mo) wrote:
>
> If Islamic countries didnt spend so much money fighting
>Jihads they would have more to eat..

#### Again a case of Pot calling kettle black. Like India has a very
stable supply of food. Few days back they were all crying for onion
and other veggie prices. Before you pick on your neighbours, Mo look
in your own back-yard. You won't find things very different. Or may
be a visit to Bombay, Calcutta slums will educate you little better.

gailani

Mo

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
11305...@compuserve.com (Mo) wrote:

If Islamic countries didnt spend so much money fighting
Jihads they would have more to eat..

Mo

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98

Mo

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
Electricity shortages are soon likely to bring Pakistani
industry to a halt . How then will it fight the war in
Afghansitan..?
>an average consumer bearing the burden of all kind of
surcharges like fuel adjustment charge,
surcharge and additional surcharge. These are now almost
three times the cost of electricity consumed<

Long decried as a 'white elephant', Wapda's woes have been
worsening over the years. High line losses, rampant
corruption and government-allowed subsidies to selected
areas are said to be sinking this one of the largest public
sector organisations. Alarmed over this situation, donors
like the IMF and the World Bank have also been pressing for
Wapda's restructuring and privatisation of many aspects of
its services. While Wapda's ailments remain uncured, the
only policy measure initiated so far is to convert its area
electricity boards into companies. It seems that the
conflict between those who want to maintain the status quo
and those who want to initiate changes has intensified.

The government's policy to allow subsidised electricity to
FATA, agriculture sector, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and the
small consumers is costing Wapda about Rs20 billion.
Together with line losses and theft of electricity costing
another Rs15 billion, the total financial burden on account
of these factors is put at around Rs35 billion annually. The
compulsion to buy electricity from the independent power
producers (IPPs) is said to have added to its financial
burden. But it is not the cause of Wapda teetering on the
edge of bankruptcy. What could be more ironical than
this state of affairs doggedly persisting despite successive
increases in power rates and an average consumer bearing the
burden of all kind of surcharges like fuel adjustment
charge, surcharge and additional surcharge. These are now
almost three times the cost of electricity consumed. Even
some of the subsidy is being 'offset' by slapping higher
rates on industry.

Wapda's financial burden cannot be eased without combating
corruption, stopping theft of electricity and containing
huge line losses. The whole policy of subsidising certain
areas will also need to be reviewed. As Wapda is sinking,
such a policy cannot be continued any longer.

iran_c...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
HEY DIRTY MO - STOP POSTING YOUR CRAP TO SCI.
WE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR PROBLEMS. GO AWAY. SHOO!

From Christian Science Monitor - www.csmonitor.com

MONDAY, OCTOBER 5, 1998
Anti-Christian Violence in India Builds on Fear of Conversions

Extremist Hindu groups and the ruling government are linked to September
attacks.

Robert Marquand
Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

AHMEDABAD, INDIA

As a priest in his native India, the Rev. Stanley Pinto used to feel respect.
But the young Jesuit says that as a Christian he now feels like a second-class
citizen. As a priest, for the first time he's a little afraid to move around.

Father Pinto knows colleagues who've been beaten, raped, and killed. In a
clear escalation of intimidation and violence against Christians in India,
last month four nuns in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh were
raped, allegedly by a Hindu gang. This summer churches were attacked and
desecrated, prayer meetings raided. In July a group of Hindu militants, the
Bajrang Dal, stormed a Pentecostal school, terrifying students, injuring one,
and seizing 300 Bibles that the mob burned. Local media paint lurid pictures
of devious missionaries undermining Hindu culture and converting India to
Christianity in a few years' time.

PHOTO
PROTEST: Nuns demonstrated Saturday in New Delhi against anti-
Christian violence that has increased in India since elections last
spring.
(JAYANTA SHAW /REUTERS)

"The police watch. They don't do anything," says Pinto, who serves at St.
Xavier's Hostel in a small coastal town in the n....

Mo

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
Islam is the reason why Pakistan inspite of all that water
of the Indus - a river mightier than the Nile -is in
trouble..

1. Interview With ex-Prime Minister
........................ by Zahid Hassain

.......................... from InfoTimes

Q: Do you foresee any change on the political horizon?

A: Nawaz Sharif has taken our country towards
bankruptcy. We have
defaulted on domestic deposits and roll-over stock
funds and now we are
on the verge of defaulting on [payments to]
international financial
institutions.

We have got to cut back on the size of the the
government. We need to
reform the bureaucracy. The police force needs to be
de-politicised.

Q: Is there a way out of the present crisis?

A: My allies and I suggest a national government minus
Nawaz Sharif and
myself. We could serve as advisers and share our
experiences on foreign
policy, economy and bureaucracy. Pakistan's economic
base can no longer
sustain our over-ambitious security agenda. We want to
match India but
we don't have India's economic base. And India is
doing to us what the
Americans did to the Russians. They are upping the
act. We are falling
into the same trap.

Q: Do you see foresee a situation where the
extremists could come to
power?

A: There are rumours that militants and extremists
will take over and
declare Pakistan an Islamic republic. There are
some who think that
India will cash in on the situation and take a bit of
Azad Kashmir and a
bit of Sindh, and then there are people who think
that the different
provinces will start going their own separate ways. My
allies and I have
sacrificed too much to stand by and watch Pakistan be
destroyed.

All the decisions are taken by a small clique
meeting at Raiwind. We
have this 1.5 billion rupee hospital built by a Prime
Minister who says
he does not have the money to repay his loans.

Q: It is being said that the federation is under
threat? What factors
have contributed to this dangerous situation?

A: Centralisation of power. Federating units do
not have the
representation or power they should. Their resources
are held back by
the federal government. The President, prime
minister and CM is from
Raiwind. Provinces should not have to beg and plead
for what is theirs
under the constitution.

Q: Has the indictment of Asif by the Swiss banks damaged
you?

A: No, the Swiss indictment has not damaged
us internally.
Internationally, I don't know. It was a nightmare
because the judicial
systems are so very different. We found out that it
had all started
because Saif-ur-Rahman has falsely alleged that SGS
and Cotecna paid
kickbacks to the government to obtain the award of
the contract. Just
because SGS and Cotecna happen to be Swiss firms and
a family friend
happens to be a Swiss national, this led to the
conclusion that
kickbacks were involved.

Q: Do you see Pakistan becoming the centre of a new wave
of terrorism?

A: Well, certainly, as Pakistan is close to the border,
and there is no
rule of law in Afghanistan. In both Africa and Asia
we have seen the
rise of this violence, and the economic and social
conditions in all
these countries is pretty pathetic. The end of
the superpower
confrontation should have evolved peace which would
help development in
the third world.

Q: How do you see the future of a nuclear country that
is torn apart by
terrorism?

A: The same as the Soviet Union in its last days,
unless it wakes up to
the reality and brings about a consensus in the country.

MindSpring User

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
get the fuck off of sci asshole

Malcolm X Jihad

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98

Thanks to the International Monetary Fraud (IMF) policies.

Allah, no god except Allah, the Creator, The One, The Merciful, The
Forgiving, The Compassionate, Allah The God Of Abraham, Moses, Jesus,
Muhammad (peace upon them all) true Prophets of God.

iran_c...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
This article has nothing to do with iran so stop spamming it - if you have a
problem with Islam (if?) the appropriate forum is alt.religion.islam - people
like you are the poster-child for forced castration.

In article <6v89sj$a7f$1...@eros.clara.net>,

Provided Courtesy of
The Iran Courier News

Laulak Siddique

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
MindSpring User wrote:

> get the fuck off of sci asshole

My sentiments exactly :-) :-)
ls

Laulak Siddique

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
iran_c...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> This article has nothing to do with iran so stop spamming it - if you have a
> problem with Islam (if?) the appropriate forum is alt.religion.islam - people
> like you are the poster-child for forced castration.

Mo's mother should have had an abortion :-)
ls

Mo

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
<Picture>

Pakistan needs $4.5 billion to survive for a year: Report

ISLAMABAD: Between now and the end of the fiscal period, a
minimum of $4.5 billion is what Pakistan is going to need in
order to avoid an outright default, according to a report
published in Weekly edition of leading English daily Dawn.

The report takes account of country's balance of payment and
prospects for Pakistan to avert the possible default like
situation in future. The paper said that for the fiscal
period 1998-99, Pakistan's accumulated exports are projected
to be around $8 billion. With imports of over $9 billion the
trade deficit alone is expected to come in at over a billion
dollars. Add to that, a negative balance of at least $1.5
billion in 'invisible' and the current account starts
approaching a negative balance of $2.5 billion. With a
minimum of $2 billion of long-term debt servicing
obligations, the negative balance increases to $4.5 billion.

To be sure, the government would be lucky to get a mere $1
billion in expatriate remittances through official channels
while there isn't going to be anything in the foreign
currency accounts (foreign currency accounts used to bring
in close to $2 billion a year).

The government is expecting that $2 billion would come in
from the IMF and other multilateral sources while the Paris
Club of creditors would roll-over at least $2 billion worth
of payments falling due within this fiscal. The government
has every right to be ambitious.

To be certain, the IMF team has already been in Islamabad
for a good two weeks and nothing has come out of the
meetings. The talks are now expected to continue in
Washington. The conditionalities, this time around, are said
to be the toughest than what we have ever seen. Our leaders,
on the other hand, have indeed been leading us to believe
that our agreement to sign the CTBT would bring in $5
billion. US Secretary of State Albright has now shed cold
water over that belief stating publicly that the signing of
the CTBT is "not sufficient" to lift sanctions on India and
Pakistan.

Are there any economic grounds on which the IMF should come
and help us out in our time of need? If there aren't any,
should we then expect that the state of Pakistan would be
saved from bankruptcy on political grounds? Perhaps, because
we have the "bomb". Look at Russia, for instance. The
country still possesses at least the second largest nuclear
arsenal on the face of the planet and the IMF did not save
her from bankruptcy. I, for one, fail to understand as to
why the IMF would bail us out when our leaders are not even
ready to bail ourselves out of our own mess.

The other potential problem is the London Club (commercial
lenders) of creditors. Although only $6 billion of the $32
billion foreign debt falls into the short-to-medium term
commercial category. It now comprises a good 55 per cent of
the total debt servicing (Pakistan paid around $5 billion in
debt servicing out of exports of $8 billion in the previous
fiscal year). Even if we are able to reschedule some of our
multilateral debt, commercial debtors are going to be
extremely difficult to deal with. Furthermore, if recent IMF
bail-out packages to South Korea and Thailand are any guide,
IMF does not like the recipient countries (economies under
ESAF) to try and reschedule commercial debt. If the IMF
rescue package to Indonesia is taken as a guide, it seems
that the IMF teams that kept on going to Indonesia during
Suharto as president did continue to engage the Indonesians
into apparently serious negotiations but not even a cent was
actually released for as long as Suharto did not step down.
President B.J. Habibie was the one who actually received
real financial assistance.

On the IDB (Islamic Development Bank) front, the only
commitment that we have so far managed is $100 million from
the IDB as 'seed capital' and another $100 million for
'market making'. The Government of Pakistan (GOP) is
apparently in the process of creating some sort of a
tradable instrument yielding LIBOR plus 5per cent which the
IDB would then attempt to sell to its member financial
institutions to raise a proposed $1.5 billion. The security
being offered is Pakistani expatriate remittances from Saudi
Arabia (an estimated $600 million to $850 million a year) in
addition to Pak Arab Fertilizer, Pak Saudi Fertilizer,
National Refinery Limited and Jamshoro Power Plant.

Commercial viability of the IDB deal will be judged on the
following basis: (i) Global credit rating agencies have
downgraded Pakistan's rating to triple-C; (ii) Pakistan
Sovereign Bond is currently trading at a yield of LIBOR plus
20 per cent; (iii) PTCL convertible bond (although illiquid)
trades at yields of up to LIBOR plus 30 per cent. Who would
then want to buy a new Pakistan-guaranteed instrument
yielding a mere LIBOR plus 5 per cent?

It is interesting to note that the Bahrain Monetary
Authority has recently ordered all financial institutions
under its regulatory jurisdiction to make appropriate
provisions for their loans outstanding against Pakistan.
Almost all large Islamic financial institutions (IFI) -
including the Bahrain- based Dar-al-Mal group, the principal
shareholder of Faysal Commercial Bank Limited and Al-Faysal
Investment Bank Limited, Dallah-al-Baraka Group the parent
entity of Al-Towfeek Investment Bank Limited, Gulf
International Bank and Arab Banking Corporation - already
have a lot of Pakistan exposure. The IFIs now face a
dilemma. If they buy into the IDB proposed Pakistan Fund
they may be able to win some breathing space (in terms of
rolling over their current outstanding against Pakistan)
from making hefty provisions. But, as soon as they buy some
of these new Pakistan-backed bonds they would have to incur
an immediate loss or as soon as they undertake a
'mark-to-market' exercise (if the new Pakistan bonds are
issued at a price of $100, the fear is, that as soon as they
begin trading in the open market the price would come down
to around $85 or so).

And now some good news. Our trade deficit "during
July-August 1998, shrank by 40 per cent to $204 million from
previous years $340 million despite a marginal increase of 1
per cent year-over- year in the month of August." Exports
were actually down by 12 per cent compared to the
corresponding period last year while imports were down by 17
per cent. By the end of the fiscal year, the accumulated
year-end trade deficit is, therefore, expected to be lower
than most previous years in recent memory. Additionally, the
government will probably be successful in lining up food aid
of around $400 million to $500 million on top of specific
economic assistance of another $500 million, some additional
fund credits, up to a billion dollars by tapping into other
non- traditional Islamic sources and, perhaps, some direct
foreign investment. All of these factors put together may
eventually reduce our need from $4.5 billion to less than $3
billion. The bad news remains that until we do not
restructure our economy our need for foreign assistance
shall increase to over $5 billion next year and a colossal
$8 billion by year 2000. Financing gap - 1998/99 (Projected)
Exports 8.30 Imports (9.10) Service receipts (net) (2.75)
Remittances 1.10 FCA 0.00 Current account (2.45) Debt
servicing (Long term debt) (2.30) Financing gap (4.75).-NNI.

Back to Top

Last modified on Monday, 05-Oct-1998 23:14:12 PDT

Mo

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
Of course it does. A bankrupt Pakistan is of great interest
to Iran , since these two great Islamic countries will soon
be at war according to the wishes of Allah..

iran_c...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

This article has nothing to do with iran so stop spamming it
- if you have a
problem with Islam (if?) the appropriate forum is
alt.religion.islam - people
like you are the poster-child for forced castration.

In article <6v89sj$a7f$1...@eros.clara.net>,

Mo

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
There is certain to be billions of dollars of gold owned by
the women of Pakistan which could be taken by the govt to
pay off all the debts an the women can be paid in rupees..

abdi...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
In article <6vd0bs$rkj$5...@eros.clara.net>,

Would be interesting to know who is paying you, Mo. Either you are a
fanatical, mentally handicaped group sitting 24hrs in fornt of your PC's and
tipping shit from all over the world - or a similar group of some Indian
financiers is paying you to do so. Come o and tell us, which one's right?

iran_c...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
Drop dead faggot and take your mental problems elsewhere.

In article <6vd0bp$rkj$3...@eros.clara.net>,